PDA

View Full Version : Who has been onboard Magic or Wonder with an 11 year old lately?

discorsner
10-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Going to be cruising with an 11 year old in 2012. First we will go on the Magic in the beginning of the year and later we are going to go on the Fantasy. I realize we don't know exactly how things are going to go on the new ships yet so I am concentrating first on the Magic.

Our boys will be 8 and 11. I think that I understand the 8 year old's options pretty well. It seems like since we have cruised they have changed it to make the activities between the club and lab interchangeable and so if I am understanding it correctly since he is under 10 he could do any of those activities and go back and forth.

I am more worried about my 11 year old this time.... seems like he will qualify for "the edge" tween spot. I am wondering what activities there are as part of the edge group for 11-13 year olds. He is likely to enjoy the activities in the lab but it doen't look like (according to the new dcl kids web page) he will qualify for those.

So I am hoping someone could give me some examples of the 11-13 year old activities that they have encountered lately? Also has anyone had an 11 year old who wanted to be able to join in the oceaneer club activities and couldn't?

Thanks so much on any specific info I can get!!! :goodvibes

truck1
10-23-2010, 06:18 PM
We just got off the Magic today with a 11 year old son, and 9 year old daughter.

We asked if DS could go to the Lab with our dd, and the answer was yes. He would have gotten a day pass to the lab.

In the Edge, (Im talking to my son as I type) there was scavenger hunts, pizza partys, late 1 night they were given free passes to Qurtermasters.

When I finish unpacking, Ill get the navigators out, and see what they say.

noahsmom
10-23-2010, 06:30 PM
We were on the Wonder in August. The tween group there is called Out and About. They meet in one of the conference rooms on deck 2. The activities are similar to the Magic. They spend some time in the lab, once they went to the teen area, did activities in the sports deck, etc. My DS - 12, was ok with it.

discorsner
10-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks so much for the repsonses. It puts my mind at ease a little. At least it sounds like if he really wants to go to the lab with his younger brother they may let him. :)

truck1
10-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Your Welcome.

I remember from picking my son up (hes directionally challenged and I didnt want him getting lost on the ship trying to find the room) that there is a board in The Edge, that has a list of things they do, abuot every 30 minutes or so. The kids have an option as to whether or not to participate, or play with any of the interactive games/activities there,from Xbox, to Nintendo, to Wii, to computers.

castawaycayfans
10-23-2010, 10:00 PM
My 12 year old did Ocean Quest in May and loved it. They made pizzas, sundaes, video games, swim party and played on the sports deck. She did not want to leave! She also spent a couple of hours in the Lab with our DS7 and had a good time there, but loved the activities in the Quest. I was concerned about her being able to leave when she wanted, but we would not allow her to leave by herself. We would set up a time for her to leave and we would walk down to get her. She highly recommends it!

kimkarli
10-23-2010, 11:13 PM
What are ages for the tween club and what is the name on the Wonder? My DD is 10 and will be 11 in December. Our cruise is next month, and she thinks she is too old for the lab.
TIA!:goodvibes

disney 2010
10-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Any word on if there are changes planned for a tweens club on the wonder when it moves to 7 night cruises?

NewDCLGuy
10-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Just got off the Wonder with an 11-year old. There were a lot more 7-8 year olds in the Lab than kids his age. The Out and About group was more suited to his age... but took careful planing as they had limited events at specific times. Out and About also requires the kid to have sign-out privileges.

The Lab worked OK for him, but he didn't love it.

OurDogCisco
10-24-2010, 09:44 AM
We did the Magic over the summer and my 12 1/2 year old did not feel comfortable in the tween club. To her it was just a bunch of boys playing on the Wii all the time. It was on Deck 2. I think, it depends on the cruise because some kids click together and other don't. They had planned activities but they were always low in attendance. So, it wasn't as much fun. She ended up going to the Lab with her sister. I can't wait for our Dream cruise as the Tween club won't be as much of an afterthought. So, hopefully, that one will be more exciting plus she'll have a friend on that cruise. I should have made more an effort for her to meet other tweens before the cruise (I didn't realize how important that was until after it was over).

pamcarey
10-24-2010, 10:48 AM
My DD10 enjoyed Out and About on the Wonder. As another poster mentioned, it requires the child to have sign out privileges, but we were okay with that. My DD is pretty independent. I think I heard somewhere that they are going to be updating the Wonder to have its own dedicated space for the tweens. The conference room was not very exciting. She's looking forward to our next cruise on the Fantasy with a dedicated tween area.

OurDogCisco
10-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Just to let you know on the Magic at least when we sailed in July, Out and About is separate from the tween club which is called Ocean Quest. Out and About was recommended for 10 to 14 years olds. While Ocean Quest is for 11 to 13 years olds. Out and About would have scheduled activities but they weren't all day long. They pool parties, dodgeball, etc... Ocean quest is all with activities all day long. Ocean Quest had a lot of computer game type activities.

ruadisneyfan2
10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Going to be cruising with an 11 year old in 2012. First we will go on the Magic in the beginning of the year and later we are going to go on the Fantasy. I realize we don't know exactly how things are going to go on the new ships yet so I am concentrating first on the Magic.

Our boys will be 8 and 11. I think that I understand the 8 year old's options pretty well. It seems like since we have cruised they have changed it to make the activities between the club and lab interchangeable and so if I am understanding it correctly since he is under 10 he could do any of those activities and go back and forth.

I am more worried about my 11 year old this time.... seems like he will qualify for "the edge" tween spot. I am wondering what activities there are as part of the edge group for 11-13 year olds. He is likely to enjoy the activities in the lab but it doen't look like (according to the new dcl kids web page) he will qualify for those.

So I am hoping someone could give me some examples of the 11-13 year old activities that they have encountered lately? Also has anyone had an 11 year old who wanted to be able to join in the oceaneer club activities and couldn't?

Thanks so much on any specific info I can get!!! :goodvibes

I think the hard part for you is that you're looking at activities for a child 2 yrs from now and it's hard to picture them liking those things since they are still at their current age, if that makes sense. Most likely, 2 years from now, he will enjoy the activities for his age group.

My kids love OQ (or whatever they're calling it now.)

truck1
10-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Just to clarify a little bit here on the names, since ruadusneyfan brought it up.

Disney is moving to change all of the names of the kids/teens clubs to the same name on all 4 ships. They may not be in the same locations, but the names will be the same

On the Magic, on deck 2 midships,formerly known as Ocean Quest, is now The Edge, as of the last drydock. The Vibe, is for the older teens, and is in the foward funnel, formerly Stack/Aloft.
On the Wonder, in the same space,(deck 2 midships) is Out and About, but in December will be renamed/ redone into The Edge, same as the Magic, and Vibe, is in the foward funnel, same as the Magic, formerly Stack/Aloft.

Something I came up with for my 11ds, since he is still learning the ship, was to have him call the room, when he was going to leave Edge. We were only 4 decks above it, and our room was midships also, so We knew about how long it should take, before we would have to look for him.

discorsner
10-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all the comments! I agree with you that it is hard for me to picture my kids as older and that the next year and a half will bring a lot of changes!

For one, I can't picture him being old enought to sign out on his own let alone being required to have those privledges! Sounds scary to this over protective mama! :scared1:

BUT, by then maybe I will feel differently.

Can anyone post about their expereince with their kids being able to sign themselves out? Were there any problems that you encountered?

So when you have a tween you don't get a pager at all then? What about for the 8 year old, that hasn't changed has it?

Thanks again!

ruadisneyfan2
10-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the comments! I agree with you that it is hard for me to picture my kids as older and that the next year and a half will bring a lot of changes!

For one, I can't picture him being old enought to sign out on his own let alone being required to have those privledges! Sounds scary to this over protective mama! :scared1:

BUT, by then maybe I will feel differently.

Can anyone post about their expereince with their kids being able to sign themselves out? Were there any problems that you encountered?

So when you have a tween you don't get a pager at all then? What about for the 8 year old, that hasn't changed has it?

Thanks again!

When ds13 was 9, we 1st wouldn't let him sign out but mid week changed our mind and tried it. He would just go back to our room and watch tv.
For ds10 last year, then 9.5, we sailed with 2 other families so they had 5 other kids to pal around with. I felt a lot better that he was rarely alone. At one point, he left his key in the room and couldn't get back in. He went to GS and they reissued him a new key. I was a little freaked out at first but still he had the sense to know what to do and handled it well I thought. I'm sure it's not the 1st time they've heard it.

Minimum age for sign out privileges is 9 so an 8 yr old won't be given the option. It will ask during online check in for ages 9 & up if you want your child to have sign out privileges and/or charging privileges on his/her room key. We haven't yet seen the need to allow that but friends that we sail with allow all 3 of their teens to charge and they are all really good about it. Maybe $20 for a 7 nt cruise for slushies and theater snacks.
My ds would be glued to the arcade so I don't ever see that happening. :lmao: I imagine the Dream & Fantasy's arcades will be much bigger too and we'll really be dragging him out. :rolleyes:

mattmommy
10-24-2010, 10:20 PM
DS10 will be 11 right before our cruise. I can't imagine him having sign out privileges in a year from now.

Do they give out optional pagers for us helicopter parents?

discorsner
10-24-2010, 10:26 PM
My ds would be glued to the arcade so I don't ever see that happening. :lmao: I imagine the Dream & Fantasy's arcades will be much bigger too and we'll really be dragging him out. :rolleyes:

Yeah I def do not see charging privledges happening. heck no. lol
I'm sure I will feel differently next year but I still can't imagine not knowing where he is on the ship and if he got confused and didn't follow a plan it seems like we could be looking for him for hours??:scared1:

I'll take it as it comes I guess.:thumbsup2

ruadisneyfan2
10-24-2010, 10:38 PM
DS10 will be 11 right before our cruise. I can't imagine him having sign out privileges in a year from now.

Do they give out optional pagers for us helicopter parents?

Sorry, no. There is absolutely no signing in/out, paging etc. Kids that spend a lot of time there get to be known by name by the CMs of course. We'd stop in and they'd say, "Oh I just saw Rxxx leave. He said he was getting something to eat."

So we'd head up to Pluto's or Pinocchios and he'd be watching Nemo while eating some pizza.

It's funny looking back cuz it is so hard to cut those strings with our babies. The first time we let them even just get food on their own, dh and I watched from deck 10 without them knowing. They did all the things we'd normally do when we'd eat with them and that's when you realize they do this stuff every day in school without us and they'll be just fine navigating their way w/o us.
Now ds is almost 14, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and way taller and stronger than me. Still though, I keep reminding him he's still young and naive is many ways. Never go anywhere alone with anyone, don't accept gifts, etc. Be polite but know when something doesn't feel right, it's ok appear 'rude' and just run and tell us.
One of the harder parts of parenting for sure.

discorsner
10-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! You make some really good points with having to cut the strings and thinking about how much they do in school on their own everyday. Great points and maybe I just need to relax.

I am also wondering if this may be a possible strategy... since we will have to have a pager for our 8 year old who will be in the lab I am wondering whether my 11 year old could go to the lab and have them page us. For instance we could make sure he 100% would know how to get to the lab where his brother would be and then back to our room but if he was not able to find us or was worried about something instead of just wondering around or staying at his activity unhappy could he go to the lab and they would know how to contact us.

I am also trying to figure out how to make it as easy for DH and I to have a good time and be able to do activities we want. For example one of the joys of our last DCL cruise was being able to do whatever we wanted together and know the boys were happy and safe. The joy in it was we could fly by the seat of our pants and go wherever we wanted on the ship and they could page us no matter what.

I want to make sure that this is not going to be a step backwards for us in that now every activity we do we are not sure what our 11 year old is doing or if he is ok. My husband says by next year we probably won't even be worried about it but I am still not so sure. :)

llnolte
10-25-2010, 11:09 AM
We just got off of the Magic. My 11 year old daughter had a fabulous time in the Edge. They did animation drawings, sand art, pizza decorating, ice cream sundae creations, karaoke, Disney trivia, swim parties at the Mickey pool (just for them), a free arcade night, scavenger hunts around the ship, and lots more.

They do not get a pager and can come and go as they please. This was a little troublesome for me at first-this is my youngest. But we had our daughter check in with us about every two hours. She would know where we were or come to the cabin and leave us a sticky note with where she was going next. She also made two friends and they were always together in a group of two or three. At night, I would stop by to pick her up at certain times if it was late.

After the first couple of days, we gave her the freedom to go where she wanted. She was very good about checking in with us and being where she was supposed to be. We also made another rule of not going in anyone else's cabin-even her friends. She had to wait outside when they were checking in with their parents.

It was hard for me to let go but she had a fantastic time and loved the freedom.

discorsner
10-25-2010, 11:30 AM
We just got off of the Magic. My 11 year old daughter had a fabulous time in the Edge. They did animation drawings, sand art, pizza decorating, ice cream sundae creations, karaoke, Disney trivia, swim parties at the Mickey pool (just for them), a free arcade night, scavenger hunts around the ship, and lots more.

They do not get a pager and can come and go as they please. This was a little troublesome for me at first-this is my youngest. But we had our daughter check in with us about every two hours. She would know where we were or come to the cabin and leave us a sticky note with where she was going next. She also made two friends and they were always together in a group of two or three. At night, I would stop by to pick her up at certain times if it was late.

After the first couple of days, we gave her the freedom to go where she wanted. She was very good about checking in with us and being where she was supposed to be. We also made another rule of not going in anyone else's cabin-even her friends. She had to wait outside when they were checking in with their parents.

It was hard for me to let go but she had a fantastic time and loved the freedom.

Good info! As I hear more and more people's expereinces I am calming down a little about it. :)

GREAT rule about not going into anyone else's cabin! A must for sure! :thumbsup2

discorsner
10-27-2010, 07:21 PM
bumping this back up because another poster was just asking about this topic and I didn't know how to link it!

hart6066
10-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Do you think they'd allow an almost 8 year old into the tween activities? We'll be on the Dream and the kids would be almost 8 and almost 11--I think they're both going to feel much more comfortable staying in the same area. They may do completely different things while there, but I think they will be much more likely to stay if they are together.

ruadisneyfan2
10-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Do you think they'd allow an almost 8 year old into the tween activities? We'll be on the Dream and the kids would be almost 8 and almost 11--I think they're both going to feel much more comfortable staying in the same area. They may do completely different things while there, but I think they will be much more likely to stay if they are together.

Honestly, I doubt it. That's a bit of a stretch. I think I heard that if a child is within 6 months of a birthday that would allow entrance, they're ok with that. Ds was 9.5 last Oct and they'd let him in OQ during the open house times but as soon as open house was over and official tween time began, they'd ask him to leave. He went to every open house and we asked if next cruise (this Oct-Nov) he'd be able to and they said that's close enough to his 11 th bday. He'll be 11 in May so hoping they are still agreeable to that. All of his cousins and older brother will be there too.

LKFan
10-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Just to clarify a little bit here on the names, since ruadusneyfan brought it up.

Disney is moving to change all of the names of the kids/teens clubs to the same name on all 4 ships. They may not be in the same locations, but the names will be the same

On the Magic, on deck 2 midships,formerly known as Ocean Quest, is now The Edge, as of the last drydock. The Vibe, is for the older teens, and is in the foward funnel, formerly Stack/Aloft.
On the Wonder, in the same space,(deck 2 midships) is Out and About, but in December will be renamed/ redone into The Edge, same as the Magic, and Vibe, is in the foward funnel, same as the Magic, formerly Stack/Aloft.

Something I came up with for my 11ds, since he is still learning the ship, was to have him call the room, when he was going to leave Edge. We were only 4 decks above it, and our room was midships also, so We knew about how long it should take, before we would have to look for him.

The name on the wonder might be changing in December but do you know if the space will be changed? By that, I mean, when do they expect the conference room to be shut down so they can create The Edge?

disney 2010
10-27-2010, 10:17 PM
The name on the wonder might be changing in December but do you know if the space will be changed? By that, I mean, when do they expect the conference room to be shut down so they can create The Edge?

I'm wondering the same thing. Where will the Edge be on the Wonder?

DVC Mary
10-27-2010, 11:39 PM
My DD10 enjoyed Out and About on the Wonder. As another poster mentioned, it requires the child to have sign out privileges, but we were okay with that. My DD is pretty independent. I think I heard somewhere that they are going to be updating the Wonder to have its own dedicated space for the tweens. The conference room was not very exciting. She's looking forward to our next cruise on the Fantasy with a dedicated tween area.

Does this mean or does anyone know when these changes will be made?

When does the Wonder go into drydock next?

Really hoping for more on our Alaskan cruise. My 10 turning 11 year old has got to mature some more before I give him sign out privileges, but the Out & About activities sound perfect for him. He did :love: the lab so much on our last cruise that we nicknamed him the "lab rat." Ok not real original but if you knew his nickname at home when he gets caught squirreling away food in his room you'd think it was funnier.

Want to know......????

Rat-trick b/c his real name is Patrick.

hart6066
10-28-2010, 07:52 AM
It will be good to get some feedback from people on the Dream. I checked their websites, and as of now, it says that the Lab and Club are for 3-10 year olds and the Lab part seems like it might be enough even for some of those 9-10 year olds. Looks like they have a bunch of computers and video consuls, lab for cooking and making experiments, etc. It also listed some out and about type activities (specifically a scavenger hunt around the ship) and used the word "tweens". The actually "tween" area starts at 11 and seems to REALLY be geared for that age set--mentioned having its own social networking sites, dance floor, music station, etc.

I'm hoping that maybe on the Dream they'll be able to have some programming for that older set of kids who aren't the right age or ready for the social aspect of the tween club.

Can't wait to hear back from people this winter!

LKFan
10-28-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. Where will the Edge be on the Wonder?

The Edge is supposed to be on the second floor in the space that currently houses the conference center.

Someone on these boards wrote to Disney and were told that the tween club would be set up by the end of December. We sailed on the Wonder in June 2010 and were told it would be set up at the next dry dock which is in August, 2011.

I'm wondering if they are going to take the tables and chairs out of the conference center and do some light redesign to make it look like a tween club in December but do the larger redesign in August. Really, the important part is that they have tween specific activities rather than just the "out and about" activities.

LKFan
10-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Does this mean or does anyone know when these changes will be made?

When does the Wonder go into drydock next?

Really hoping for more on our Alaskan cruise. My 10 turning 11 year old has got to mature some more before I give him sign out privileges, but the Out & About activities sound perfect for him. He did :love: the lab so much on our last cruise that we nicknamed him the "lab rat." Ok not real original but if you knew his nickname at home when he gets caught squirreling away food in his room you'd think it was funnier.

Want to know......????

Rat-trick b/c his real name is Patrick.

Someone on these boards wrote to Disney and were told that the tween club would be set up by the end of December. We sailed on the Wonder in June 2010 and were told it would be set up at the next dry dock which is in August, 2011.

I'm wondering if they are going to take the tables and chairs out of the conference center and do some light redesign to make it look like a tween club in December but do the larger redesign in August. Really, the important part is that they have tween specific activities rather than just the "out and about" activities.

DVC Mary
10-28-2010, 11:15 PM

Bummer our Alaskan teens next summer will miss out & on our cruise we seem to have a lot of tweens & teens.

LKFan
10-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Bummer our Alaskan teens next summer will miss out & on our cruise we seem to have a lot of tweens & teens.

Don't take my word as gospel. No one seems to know their plans for sure. I am just speculating how they could tell one person December and another person August. :hippie:

scootch
10-29-2010, 02:41 PM
I am also wondering if this may be a possible strategy... since we will have to have a pager for our 8 year old who will be in the lab I am wondering whether my 11 year old could go to the lab and have them page us. For instance we could make sure he 100% would know how to get to the lab where his brother would be and then back to our room but if he was not able to find us or was worried about something instead of just wondering around or staying at his activity unhappy could he go to the lab and they would know how to contact us.

want to make sure that this is not going to be a step backwards for us in that now every activity we do we are not sure what our 11 year old is doing or if he is ok. My husband says by next year we probably won't even be worried about it but I am still not so sure. :)
My dd just turned 11 and we cruise in April. She won't go to the clubs without the sign in and out... it is not me, that is her, she does not feel comfortable with me not being able to be paged. I also have another child who is 9, so I am going to push for my 11 year old to go the lab rather than the tween group. I don't think I will have much issue as when she was 9, they let her go in the 7 and under group due to her shyness.

Snowwhyt
10-30-2010, 01:11 AM
DD is 11 and quite concerned. She does not want to travel to/from Quest/Edge alone. I've writing a few passengers on our cruise listing girls her age to foster a friend/activity companion. This trip is foremost a family trip, we plan to spend most of our time together as DD requested, but we would like to do a few adult things during the week.(Palo, martini tasting, Island info). So to ease my DD's mind, what can I do to have her contact us (if she needs me) when I'm at an activity. She has the most sensitive stomach and gets a little faint before she...
Anyway she has problems sometimes when we travel especially with foods. Anyway, do walkie talkie's work? Our Phones would be unreal for cost. Anyone have a suggestion?

Ashansen
10-30-2010, 08:05 AM
We bought walkie talkies from target (motorola) and they worked great. Just had to remember to "collect the" each night to charge.

We created "handles" and did not go nuts with them, just used for the kids to check in, as well as find the adults! (we were traveling with another family).

Ashley

toverly
10-31-2010, 03:36 PM
DS was 11 last January and had a wonderful time in Ocean Quest. We used the Postit note system on our stateroom door. Every time we left the room, we put up a note on the inside of the door to say where we would be. I told DS as long as he was where his postit said he was, he could be independent. If I ever looked for him and he wasn't there, he had to stick to me like glue. He was either in Ocean Quest, getting food on Deck 9 (which he would take back to Ocean Quest) or in the arcade on Deck 9. If he needed us, he came and found us. I had to require him to eat Dinner with us or we would have never seen him.

Snowwhyt
11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
So, one of the cruise mates from my turkey cruise said they still offer pagers for kids up to 12 or 13. I hope thats right. DD doesn't want to walk the halls alone. I respect that because it sometimes those instincts that keep us away from things that may not be safe. Maybe at the end of the week she'll have more interest in walking around by herself (most likely not).
I will bring walkie talkies on the chance that pagers are not offered for her age. DD said they are too large and she will not use them. She'll get over the unit size if she wants to get a hold of us after a desirable program. Otherwise I know she'll skip the program(her choice) I really would hate to see her waste the opportunities to make friends or try something new. But she's passed on things before.
I had a foster child for 3 years that was nothing like her, he would have found his way into a conference center by himself at age 7:darth:, if it was something he was interested in(had to watch him like a hawk). My DD, total opposite. She would go with me to have the oil changed in the car rather than stay home alone. She offered today to call me from her cell phone to my cell phone.:rotfl: That will take care of the problem mom! When I told her the cost.:eek: When I told her she could pay for it:scared1:. She said she'll just stay with us, no problem. Guess we'll find this out in 2 weeks. I'll let you all know what the deal is when we get back.

kimpossible
11-05-2010, 02:34 PM

Sounds like they would work better in the Lab together. Since technically they are both in that age range (although your eldest will soon be 11).

*love*2*shop
11-16-2010, 02:14 PM
i think we will play it by ear and speak to the club directly. my son is 11 and special needs ( he is physically 11 but socially maybe 7 or 8) So there is NO way he is going to be able to go as he pleases!!!!:scared1: we will have a talk with them and will have to see..:confused3