PDA

View Full Version : Why Florida but NOT California?

Jodijo
10-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't understand why Florida residents can get discount rates on some cruises out of Florida but California residents do not get any discounts on the Mexico cruises out of California! Anyone have the answer?

(This is also the case at Disneyland. Only those living in Southern California get park ticket/annual pass discounts. However, all people living in Florida get discounted tickets/annual passes.)

This makes no sense to me! What's up with that????? :confused3

maria-fan-22
10-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Disney Cruise Line is relatively New to the West coast market so they probably have not decided upon any discount. Also the agreement Disney has with the cities and states they are in is to offer discounts to their residents. So ask your governator to make a new contract with Disney!:rotfl2: pirate:

skiingfast
10-22-2010, 02:44 PM
California is a big marke to have hold out for a special break on a cruise. If they did this they would sell less staterooms to Californians.

With DLR tickets/passes it's a deal to get people who can come for a day, to come more often.

Jodijo
10-22-2010, 02:46 PM
So ask your governator to make a new contract with Disney!:rotfl2: pirate:

That is too funny! Our governator does not care enough to worry about that.

Jodijo
10-22-2010, 02:50 PM
California is a big marke to have hold out for a special break on a cruise. If they did this they would sell less staterooms to Californians.

With DLR tickets/passes it's a deal to get people who can come for a day, to come more often.

You would be surprised how many Northern Californian's drive to DL for a weekend trip. I work with people that drive 8 hours a few times a month to spend a few days at DL.

Also, I am not sure what you mean - "If they did this they would sell less staterooms to Californians." Are you saying that they would sell less staterooms to Californians if they gave us a discount?:confused3

Susie22
10-22-2010, 03:00 PM
The way I see it, you're ALL lucky. Personally I think those of you who live in California and Florida should have to pay a surcharge because you live so close you don't have to pay for plane tickets. Honestly, think about how much cheaper it is for you to do Disney than the rest of us? And then you want a discount on top of that? Ok, so I'm kidding about the surcharge, but how about a little love for those of us from other states who have to break the bank just to get there to spend our money propping up your local economies?

dursin
10-22-2010, 03:06 PM
The way I see it, you're ALL lucky. Personally I think those of you who live in California and Florida should have to pay a surcharge because you live so close you don't have to pay for plane tickets. Honestly, think about how much cheaper it is for you to do Disney than the rest of us? And then you want a discount on top of that? Ok, so I'm kidding about the surcharge, but how about a little love for those of us from other states who have to break the bank just to get there to spend our money propping up your local economies?
Not only do we get discounts on theme parks and cruises, but we also don't pay any state income tax here in Florida. The tourists drop off enough cash so that we don't have to. :)

MTmomma
10-22-2010, 03:11 PM
They do it because they have to draw the line somewhere. Feel lucky you get anything. There are some of us that only get OBC from a TA, and discounts for rebooking, on top of having to shell out for airfare from podunk nowhere, and hotels, and meals etc.

dylan'smom
10-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Remember, those resident rates come out in times when the ship needs filling!!

I'm fully expecting, and really looking forward to those Cali rates that will come out at certain times of the year -- once the Wonder is docked here. :yay:

I think the deal with southern cali getting the DL perks has to do with relatively easy transport - we can drive to DL without a lot of planning or needing air so we get those cool incentives. :cool1:

Jodijo
10-22-2010, 04:05 PM
They do it because they have to draw the line somewhere. Feel lucky you get anything. There are some of us that only get OBC from a TA, and discounts for rebooking, on top of having to shell out for airfare from podunk nowhere, and hotels, and meals etc.

I live in Northern California and we DON"T get anything. We still have to fly (or drive 10 hours). Not that I am complaining! I would drive 10 hours to get a discounted cruise but they have not offered them. I would also drive 10 hours a few times a year to go to DL if we got discounted annual passes. Without any discount, it costs us the same to go all the way to Florida and stay at WDW. So, we go all that way instead.

Jodijo
10-22-2010, 04:09 PM

I completely understand where you are coming from (even though it is not my local economy.) However, it costs us the same to spend a week in WDW as it does to spend a week at DL. With Florida having so much more, WDW and DCL, we go there.

DW2010
10-22-2010, 04:10 PM

This is ridiculous. I do not agree with this at all, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I live in Florida :rotfl:. I have only been to Disney World twice in the 17 years I've lived in Florida. Although we get a discount, it's still not necessarily cheap, IMO.

skiingfast
10-22-2010, 04:12 PM
You would be surprised how many Northern Californian's drive to DL for a weekend trip. I work with people that drive 8 hours a few times a month to spend a few days at DL.

Also, I am not sure what you mean - "If they did this they would sell less staterooms to Californians." Are you saying that they would sell less staterooms to Californians if they gave us a discount?:confused3

I don't disagree that lots of Californians from the North visit the park. But if you can get someone to come for dinner on Fridays by giving them an easy way to buy a pass that makes more more money for the park than selling the passes to people that can't do that.

In Florida there are people that won't cruise until they have a Florida deal. In Socal there are millions of people that could do that and can take a cab to the port. Do you want to give them the option to cruise only with a special rate or have them pay the regular rate?

mmouse37
10-22-2010, 04:49 PM
No offense to our Canadian neighbors but I never understood a Canadian discount before other states in the US.

MJ

ILoveDisney&Cruising
10-22-2010, 05:03 PM
I have only been to Disney World twice in the 17 years I've lived in Florida. Although we get a discount, it's still not necessarily cheap, IMO.

Not trying to start an argument .... but I was surprised, when a week or so ago, a friend who lives in FL mentioned that they bought annual (weekday?) passes for $185.

I thought that was pretty cheap, especially since a 1-day pass is what, $80? :confused3 (haven't checked daily rates lately) Of course, cheap is all relative -- we are talking Disney, afterall.

If I lived there, I FOR SURE would be getting me one of those! :rotfl:

;)

skiingfast
10-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Not trying to start an argument .... but I was surprised, when a week or so ago, a friend who lives in FL mentioned that they bought annual (weekday?) passes for $185.

I thought that was pretty cheap, especially since a 1-day pass is what, $80? :confused3 (haven't checked daily rates lately) Of course, cheap is all relative -- we are talking Disney, afterall.

;)

The DLR Socal pass is $184 and good for Some Sundays, no Saturdays, holidays or all summer. Well pretty much. Anyway DLR has about 1,000,000 annual pass holders of which this pass makes up the bulk.

This is why knowing passholder blockout dates is a big part of DLR trip planning.

WDW has barely any passholders in comparison.

The difference is DLR has about 25,000,000 people within 100 miles of the resort. Florida has this in the whole state.

This is a key to the marketing differences DLR and WDW have.

Silverfox97
10-22-2010, 05:26 PM

;)

That pass is a weekday seasonal pass with blackout dates. We have regular annual passes (not the premium ones, so no water parks, and no blackout dates). We usually get them at AAA and a renewal is like ~$340/per adult. Do I think we deserve it? YES I DO! We go to Disney every other week in off season (we were there last week and are going next Friday). We go on day trips, and we spend $$ to eat (w/our Tables in Wonderland discount :thumbsup2). Sure, we don't pay for parking, but Disney gets plenty of our money!! When I lived up north, I had a Cedar Point season pass because I lived close, so I went. Disney is no different in my opinion. A theme park we live close to. We live like 10 min from Busch Gardens, but prefer to spend a free day at Disney, so we have passes there.

A surcharge because we don't have to pay airfare? Gimmie a break!!! :lmao:

paceyswife
10-22-2010, 05:30 PM
No offense to our Canadian neighbors but I never understood a Canadian discount before other states in the US.

MJ

I totally agree with you. We live minutes from the border and get no discount. It just makes no sense to me. (No offense to my neighbors).

Dicecatt
10-22-2010, 05:38 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with the support Disney gets from each state. I know that California is extremely difficult to deal with, concerning licensing and business transactions. And Florida clearly loves Disney:goodvibes. Perhaps Disney just doesn't feel enough love to offer DCL discounts as of yet to Cali :rotfl:

ClubDis
10-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I understand why the FL cruises offer the FL resident rate sometimes, and I'm hoping this will be the same for CA once the Wonder gets settled. But I still don't get why they offer a Canadian rate. I could see it for the AK cruises since they leave from Vancouver, but for Florida? Makes no sense to me.

Cruise
10-22-2010, 06:00 PM

MJ

The thing I really don't get about the Canadian discount is the timing. Sure, "the economy" is always listed as a reason, but the Canadian $ is more on par with the US $ than ever before. Eight years ago, the CA$ was only worth 63 US cents. Today, it's worth 97 US cents. For the sake of comparison, that means a US$5000 vacation in 2002 would have cost a Canadian CA$7837 out of pocket. Today, the same US$5000 is only CA$5129 out of pocket. Canadians are already saving CA$2708 just because the USD is weak. If anything, the discounts would have made more sense years ago when Canadians were looking at bigger numbers because of the conversion rate. (I'm sure someone will correct my math if I've tallied incorrectly:) )

I hope the Canadians on the board will realize that I don't begrudge you the discount at all. :flower3: I realize the extra hassle involved going "international" for a vacation and think you should grab the discount! I really am just completely baffled by Disney's thought process on the matter, I guess.

Conservative Hippie
10-22-2010, 06:23 PM

Personally I think we deserve that discount for having to put up with invading tourists - and their traffic and their bad driving and their rude kids and their bad manners and their lack of patience....not that anyone on the DIS is like that, I'm talking about all those OTHER Disney tourists!!pirate:

ILoveDisney&Cruising
10-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Just to clarify, I certainly don't begrudge FL residents (or CA for that matter) the discounted rates ..... heck, my Dad used to live in FL and got 'em. He's the one who got us hooked on Disney! :lmao: My SIL & her kids live there now - I wish she'd get 'em but she's too cheap.

I was just surprised that they were as low as $185. Seemed like a real bargain to me! :thumbsup2

Almost makes me want to move to FL ... 'cept for that summertime heat! :cool2:

kay1864
10-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Also the agreement Disney has with the cities and states they are in is to offer discounts to their residents.
Where did you hear about this agreement? AFAIK DCL does this to fill up empty cabins, not due to any agreement with the state of Florida.

carmie3377
10-22-2010, 07:10 PM
The deal about the FLR discount that I don't understand is that they let you apply it to a previously booked reservation after penalty date yet don't incur a penalty. If we want to take advantage of a new discount, we have to rebook and lose our deposit.

One of the big reasons people state about the FLR discount is that it is easy at the last minute to plan for Florida residents. If they are trying to fill the boat, then why should an already booked reservation be discounted?

shwarren70
10-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Personally I think we deserve that discount for having to put up with invading tourists - and their traffic and their bad driving and their rude kids and their bad manners and their lack of patience....not that anyone on the DIS is like that, I'm talking about all those OTHER Disney tourists!!pirate:

Just asking, and I do not ask this to be attacking, but just out of understanding FL's tax setup... those tourists help keep Florida from having a state income tax don't they? Those invading tourists pay a lot of sales tax and road tolls to the state of Florida... I'd like to move WDW to NC and put up with the tourists if it would eliminate a tax we had to pay in this state ;)

KayMouse
10-22-2010, 08:02 PM

MJ

So true! What about the "Neighboring States" discount that I saw on the WDW website? It ALWAYS says "No offers currently available". I live in Georgia and honestly, I'm closer to WDW than some people who actually live in FL! So the "We live closer" bit doesn't apply. It'd be nice to see an incentive for the rest of the states before you start offering Canadian and UK rates/discounts.

lbuher
10-22-2010, 08:32 PM
So true! What about the "Neighboring States" discount that I saw on the WDW website? It ALWAYS says "No offers currently available". I live in Georgia and honestly, I'm closer to WDW than some people who actually live in FL! So the "We live closer" bit doesn't apply. It'd be nice to see an incentive for the rest of the states before you start offering Canadian and UK rates/discounts.

I'm with you. I started a thread a couple of weeks ago asking about the reasoning behind the Florida resident rates (I also live in Georgia, and just wondered about the POSSIBILITY of resident rates on DCL at ANYTIME in the future). Nobody ever offered a logical explanation for resident rates other than proximity (and that certainly doesn't explain the Canadian rates), and the thread actually started to get a little ugly!

Who knows.

jilljill
10-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Canadian resident rates are being offered this coming winter when there are lots of Canadian Snowbirds in FL. Have you see all the Canadian plates being driven around the area in the winter?
It still doesn't explain why it's being done but could be one reason.

ACDSNY
10-22-2010, 09:11 PM
I live in Northern California and we DON"T get anything. We still have to fly (or drive 10 hours). Not that I am complaining! I would drive 10 hours to get a discounted cruise but they have not offered them. I would also drive 10 hours a few times a year to go to DL if we got discounted annual passes. Without any discount, it costs us the same to go all the way to Florida and stay at WDW. So, we go all that way instead.

I agree, it's hard watching the FL residents getting such a great deal on our Panama cruise with those of us from CA getting zip.:sad1:

I completely understand where you are coming from (even though it is not my local economy.) However, it costs us the same to spend a week in WDW as it does to spend a week at DL. With Florida having so much more, WDW and DCL, we go there.

Same for us. The only thing that makes a DL trip cheaper is we usually stay only 4 nights and when we go to WDW it's usually 10 nights.

MJ

I never got this one either.:confused3

Just asking, and I do not ask this to be attacking, but just out of understanding FL's tax setup... those tourists help keep Florida from having a state income tax don't they? Those invading tourists pay a lot of sales tax and road tolls to the state of Florida... I'd like to move WDW to NC and put up with the tourists if it would eliminate a tax we had to pay in this state ;)

I'd love to have no state tax to pay, that alone would pay for all my Disney trips each year.:laughing:

Jennifer_W
10-22-2010, 11:10 PM
The thing I really don't get about the Canadian discount is the timing. Sure, "the economy" is always listed as a reason, but the Canadian $ is more on par with the US $ than ever before. Eight years ago, the CA$ was only worth 63 US cents. Today, it's worth 97 US cents. For the sake of comparison, that means a US$5000 vacation in 2002 would have cost a Canadian CA$7837 out of pocket. Today, the same US$5000 is only CA$5129 out of pocket. Canadians are already saving CA$2708 just because the USD is weak. If anything, the discounts would have made more sense years ago when Canadians were looking at bigger numbers because of the conversion rate. (I'm sure someone will correct my math if I've .

My thoughts exactly...

Cruise
10-23-2010, 12:40 AM
I'd love to have no state tax to pay, that alone would pay for all my Disney trips each year.:laughing:

No kidding. Losing another almost 10% of your income IN ADDITION to Federal taxes is painful.

dursin
10-23-2010, 07:13 AM
I like the tourists. :) We live just NE of Orlando and you'd never even know all these attractions were just minutes away. Even when down in the area of all the attractions, the traffic and driving is nowhere near as bad as about 90% of the other big cities I've been too.

Conservative Hippie
10-23-2010, 08:01 AM

Oh I'm sure they do, but when I'm at Target and my daughter is getting knocked over by shirtless kids on heelies whose parents seemed to have left their brains at home, or being literally pushed out of a check-out line because a family of 12 all have to stand in line together to buy donuts and milk, or when I'm stuck in traffic on 192 because someone has to stop their car and get out and take a picture of every single palm tree they see, or when you narrowly avoid a major accident because someone missed the Disney exit and is going in reverse on I-4 to get back to it......it's easy to forget about the "perks" of tourism.

mattmommy
10-23-2010, 12:24 PM
I wish Disney could have built that Virginia park to give us all more park options. Of course it would mean a park closer to my home too.

Luvstocruise
10-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Maybe this might shed some light on the Canadian Discount offer the DCL did. First of all, I'm Canadian and took advantage of this deal. While the CDN dollar is close to US Dollar value now, it wasn't years ago. I had seen WDW vacations being booked at par to get Canadians to book a vacation there. I took many vacations in the US (including WDW where I didn't get a discount at all) and the Caribbean and when the US dollar cost me 1.41, believe me it hurt. I agree with other posters that it would be nice for DCL to share the pixie dust and give more US resident rates to fill the ships. Obviously, DCL/WDW will do what it has to.

But forward to Fall 2010. Even though the two dollars are close, say 97 cents, tag on 2.5 % conversion commission/fee say, on my VISA card, and it still costs me 5 % more for a US dollar denominated vacation. I think part of the reason DCL did the CDN residents promo, was to fill the ships, but the other part was economists cite the Canadian economy is in better shape than the US (CDN unemployment rate is 8 % , US is 9.6% Aug 2010 rates), Canada didn't suffer anywhere as much with a mortgage meltdown, bank meltdown as in the US...so maybe more families had disposable income for a cruise. Besides, as other posters said, many Canadians want to get away from the freezing cold in Jan Feb, right when DCL is offering the discount rate-hence an incentive to get Canadians to help fill the ship.

Just my 2 cents...
Luvstocruise

KayMouse
10-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Maybe this might shed some light on the Canadian Discount offer the DCL did. First of all, I'm Canadian and took advantage of this deal. While the CDN dollar is close to US Dollar value now, it wasn't years ago. I had seen WDW vacations being booked at par to get Canadians to book a vacation there. I took many vacations in the US (including WDW where I didn't get a discount at all) and the Caribbean and when the US dollar cost me 1.41, believe me it hurt. I agree with other posters that it would be nice for DCL to share the pixie dust and give more US resident rates to fill the ships. Obviously, DCL/WDW will do what it has to.

But forward to Fall 2010. Even though the two dollars are close, say 97 cents, tag on 2.5 % conversion commission/fee say, on my VISA card, and it still costs me 5 % more for a US dollar denominated vacation. I think part of the reason DCL did the CDN residents promo, was to fill the ships, but the other part was economists cite the Canadian economy is in better shape than the US (CDN unemployment rate is 8 % , US is 9.6% Aug 2010 rates), Canada didn't suffer anywhere as much with a mortgage meltdown, bank meltdown as in the US...so maybe more families had disposable income for a cruise. Besides, as other posters said, many Canadians want to get away from the freezing cold in Jan Feb, right when DCL is offering the discount rate-hence an incentive to get Canadians to help fill the ship.

Just my 2 cents...
Luvstocruise

Fair enough:thumbsup2

Still jealous though!:rotfl::rotfl2:

birkner
10-23-2010, 01:59 PM
What I don't understand is why Disney doesn't have a monthly payment plan for annual passes like Sea World? Our entire family has been Sea World Platinum Passport holders for quite a few years made possible by a monthly deduction. I think Disney would make quite a lot more money if they offered this option.

Just my thoughts...
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/birkner_album/Disney%20Cruise%20Line/computer.gif

orlandothebeagle
10-23-2010, 02:44 PM

:rotfl2: you are joking..right?

ClubDis
10-23-2010, 04:51 PM
What I don't understand is why Disney doesn't have a monthly payment plan for annual passes like Sea World? Our entire family has been Sea World Platinum Passport holders for quite a few years made possible by a monthly deduction. I think Disney would make quite a lot more money if they offered this option.

Just my thoughts...
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/birkner_album/Disney%20Cruise%20Line/computer.gif

Interesting. DLR does. You have to have a credit card to do the monthy payments though.

ACDSNY
10-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Interesting. DLR does. You have to have a credit card to do the monthy payments though.

DL does for Southern California residents only. The rest of us don't have that option.

Conservative Hippie
10-23-2010, 05:08 PM

WDW has a monthly payment plan for annual and seasonal passes. However I'm not sure if it's available to everyone or just FL residents.

birkner
10-23-2010, 05:15 PM
WDW has a monthly payment plan for annual and seasonal passes. However I'm not sure if it's available to everyone or just FL residents.

I believe it is available for monthly payments only for FL residents or so I was told. This is the one I would like to see be annual payments for anyone in FL or CA (north and south).
Breaking news…we just announced during Disney’s annual shareholders meeting that a new premium annual pass for admission to the parks at both Disneyland Resort and the Walt Disney World Resort will be offered beginning Thursday. It’s called “Disney Premier Passport” and it’ll feature the same benefits you get with the “premium” annual passes for Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts for $700, plus applicable- sales tax.
So, what’s in it for you? At Walt Disney World:
Unlimited admission for a period of one year to all four Walt Disney World Theme Parks, including the ability to visit multiple parks on the same day.
Unlimited admission to Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach Water Parks
Unlimited admission to DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive Theme Park, ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex (valid only on event days; some events require an additional admission charge) and Disney’s Oak Trail Golf Course (greens fee only. Tee time reservations are required and subject to availability)
Parking at all four Theme Parks
Subscription to Mickey Monitor, a collectible Passholder-only publication
And at Disneyland Resort:
Unlimited admission to both Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure Parks for a period of one year, including the ability to visit multiple parks on the same day.
Parking at any pay-on-entry parking lot
Subscription to Backstage Pass.
Complimentary subscription to Disney’s Family Fun Magazine (one per household)
If you’re already holding a Premium Annual Pass for both Resorts, you’ll automatically be issued a “Disney Premier Passport” – with an expiration date based on the later of the two annual passes. You may also upgrade your annual or seasonal pass for one resort to a “Disney Premier Passport” for an additional fee.
The Passport will be available for sale at the Disneyland Resort box office and Walt Disney World Guest Relations windows beginning tomorrow. So, sound interesting? Let us know what you think.

dylan'smom
10-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I believe it is available for monthly payments only for FL residents or so I was told. This is the one I would like to see be annual payments for anyone in FL or CA (north and south).
Breaking news…we just announced during Disney’s annual shareholders meeting that a new premium annual pass for admission to the parks at both Disneyland Resort and the Walt Disney World Resort will be offered beginning Thursday. It’s called “Disney Premier Passport” and it’ll feature the same benefits you get with the “premium” annual passes for Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts for $700, plus applicable- sales tax.
So, what’s in it for you? At Walt Disney World:
Unlimited admission for a period of one year to all four Walt Disney World Theme Parks, including the ability to visit multiple parks on the same day.
Unlimited admission to Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach Water Parks
Unlimited admission to DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive Theme Park, ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex (valid only on event days; some events require an additional admission charge) and Disney’s Oak Trail Golf Course (greens fee only. Tee time reservations are required and subject to availability)
Parking at all four Theme Parks
Subscription to Mickey Monitor, a collectible Passholder-only publication
And at Disneyland Resort:
Unlimited admission to both Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure Parks for a period of one year, including the ability to visit multiple parks on the same day.
Parking at any pay-on-entry parking lot
Subscription to Backstage Pass.
Complimentary subscription to Disney’s Family Fun Magazine (one per household)
If you’re already holding a Premium Annual Pass for both Resorts, you’ll automatically be issued a “Disney Premier Passport” – with an expiration date based on the later of the two annual passes. You may also upgrade your annual or seasonal pass for one resort to a “Disney Premier Passport” for an additional fee.
The Passport will be available for sale at the Disneyland Resort box office and Walt Disney World Guest Relations windows beginning tomorrow. So, sound interesting? Let us know what you think.

I was reading about that a while back...might be good for the globetrotters lol but we thought it was a bit pricey!! :confused3

birkner
10-23-2010, 05:47 PM
I was reading about that a while back...might be good for the globetrotters lol but we thought it was a bit pricey!! :confused3

If you live in CA or FL, I would think this is a good deal, especially if you can divide it into 12 installments. We could use it both at DL and WDW. We keep our Sea World passes for that very reason for all 8 in our family.

Just my thoughts....

mmmears
10-23-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't understand why Florida residents can get discount rates on some cruises out of Florida but California residents do not get any discounts on the Mexico cruises out of California! Anyone have the answer?

(This is also the case at Disneyland. Only those living in Southern California get park ticket/annual pass discounts. However, all people living in Florida get discounted tickets/annual passes.)

I totally agree. I'm hoping that if they can't fill the ships they will start releasing a discount, but with my luck it will be for S.CA people only. :sad2:

It's not true that people from N. CA can't take a last-minute driving trip to DL -- we just did a few weeks ago and had a great time.:goodvibes

birkner
10-23-2010, 06:15 PM
I totally agree. I'm hoping that if they can't fill the ships they will start releasing a discount, but with my luck it will be for S.CA people only. :sad2:

It's not true that people from N. CA can't take a last-minute driving trip to DL -- we just did a few weeks ago and had a great time.:goodvibes

I agree totally!! Also, I have taken GK's on the first flight out from Bay area and come back on the last flight. Nothing like DL for the day!!

There can be some great sales on both Jet Blue and SWA to Southern California. I can get a cheap car from the airport and make a really fun trip for all of us.

CADisneyMom
10-23-2010, 06:42 PM
I think the deal with southern cali getting the DL perks has to do with relatively easy transport - we can drive to DL without a lot of planning or needing air so we get those cool incentives. :cool1:

I agree with the OP that if they give ALL of Florida the discounted rates for the park and the cruise they should be doing it for ALL of California residents. You can't tell me that all of Florida are within 2 hours of the park to go. I live in NorCal but I fly down there at least once a month, sometimes 2, just to go for a day - in fact I just flew down there yesterday just for the day.

As for the cruise portion, it is just coming to California for the first time to be its home base for the Wonder and I don't think they should be giving the discounts just yet -- I'm sure they didn't give discounts to FL residents when it started in Florida.

Cruise
10-23-2010, 06:47 PM
I agree with the OP that if they give ALL of Florida the discounted rates for the park and the cruise they should be doing it for ALL of California residents. You can't tell me that all of Florida are within 2 hours of the park to go. I live in NorCal but I fly down there at least once a month, sometimes 2, just to go for a day - in fact I just flew down there yesterday just for the day.

As for the cruise portion, it is just coming to California for the first time to be its home base for the Wonder and I don't think they should be giving the discounts just yet -- I'm sure they didn't give discounts to FL residents when it started in Florida.

Well, part of the reasoning may be that (according to 2009 estimates), FL had a population of 18.5 million people. CA had a population of 36.9 million. Offering to all of CA would be like doubling their "liability" of discounts.

CADisneyMom
10-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Well, part of the reasoning may be that (according to 2009 estimates), FL had a population of 18.5 million people. CA had a population of 36.9 million. Offering to all of CA would be like doubling their "liability" of discounts.

I still think it would be beneficial to them to allow the park discounts. I went yesterday and still spent $100. I always eat in the park (Carnation Cafe for sure), and I usually buy something while I'm there - last month sweatshirt, shirt, purse...yesterday tote bag, keychains, hat, antenna toppers. So it's usually still about $75-100 a day. So are they really missing out on money from NorCal people? No. I know lots of SoCal people who just go in there to go on a few rides and don't buy anything at all ever.

lbuher
10-23-2010, 07:15 PM

Yeh, but the whole point of the Fl resident rates is to help fill the ship at the last minute. If they open it up to ALL of California, it would be no more liability than opening it to only PART of California. Either way, they only have so many rooms to sell, and when they are gone, they are gone.

HOWEVER.... if they continue to allow both FL (and CA, if they open it up to them) folks who are ALREADY BOOKED to rebook when the discounted rates come out (with no loss of deposit, etc...), then yes.... there will be some more liability. But honestly, I don't understand why they allow that anyway.

Beating a dead horse... already been covered....

tlynk
10-23-2010, 07:17 PM

I'm with you on this topic 100%! I have even written Disney about it regarding Disneyland. I'm sure there are a million reasons why No. Cal residents shouldn't get discounts, but I would still LOVE to have this option. :goodvibes

dursin
10-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Yeh, but the whole point of the Fl resident rates is to help fill the ship at the last minute. If they open it up to ALL of California, it would be no more liability than opening it to only PART of California. Either way, they only have so many rooms to sell, and when they are gone, they are gone.

HOWEVER.... if they continue to allow both FL (and CA, if they open it up to them) folks who are ALREADY BOOKED to rebook when the discounted rates come out (with no loss of deposit, etc...), then yes.... there will be some more liability. But honestly, I don't understand why they allow that anyway.

Beating a dead horse... already been covered....
If they didn't allow FL residents to rebook at the discounted rates, then most residents would wait until the last minute to book and DCL would likely see more vacant staterooms and wind up offering even more discounts to fill them.

KSDisneyDad
10-24-2010, 12:05 PM

Have you written to DCL to ask about this? They might be able to help. Sometimes you get more than a canned response.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contact-us/

:rotfl2: you are joking..right?

I thought the same thing when I first read it, but the follow-up post was even more appalling. :confused3

Now I just need to get Disney to work on those Colorado resident discounts. :goodvibes

grits98
10-24-2010, 04:06 PM

I totally agree.

dylan'smom
10-24-2010, 04:10 PM

Now that's a very good point!! :thumbsup2

It is usually just a numbers game anyway! :cool1:

orlandothebeagle
10-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Oh I'm sure they do, but when I'm at Target and my daughter is getting knocked over by shirtless kids on heelies whose parents seemed to have left their brains at home, or being literally pushed out of a check-out line because a family of 12 all have to stand in line together to buy donuts and milk, or when I'm stuck in traffic on 192 because someone has to stop their car and get out and take a picture of every single palm tree they see, or when you narrowly avoid a major accident because someone missed the Disney exit and is going in reverse on I-4 to get back to it......it's easy to forget about the "perks" of tourism.

I am so glad my hard earned cash has been appreciated.

FYI< that stuff happens evrywhere not just by tourists.

Jodijo
10-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Have you written to DCL to ask about this? They might be able to help. Sometimes you get more than a canned response.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contact-us/

No, I did not think of that. Thank you very much for the idea and contact info. I will make sure to email them and let you know what the response it.

Conservative Hippie
10-24-2010, 08:27 PM
I am so glad my hard earned cash has been appreciated.

FYI< that stuff happens evrywhere not just by tourists.

I'm sure it does. I was just making a lighthearted comment related to the topic that maybe we get a discount because we have to have some extra patience sometimes. Not all visitors are rude, but the fact is some are. I have actually never in my life seen someone go in reverse down a major highway to get back to an exit they missed though, so I have to say I believe that is unique to a tourist area with lots of out of town visitors.

By the way, let me emphasize lighthearted...it was a joke...I don't know why FL residents get a discount and not CA residents. There is not a FL resident discount being offered on the cruie we just booked anyway, so we didn't get anything either.

When people go on vacation - anywhere! - they should remember to pack their manners, especially patience. They should remember that people live where they are visiting, and quite often those locals are the ones working to give them that special vacation they have saved up and hoped for. It does no one good - not the locals, not the workers, not the other visitors - to be rude on vacation.

If you personally have never gone reverse down the highway, or let your kids push over 2 year olds and laugh about it, or gone shirtless to a grocery store, or done a similarly rude and brainless thing on vacation, then you should not be offended because you are not who I am referring to.

KSDisneyDad
10-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm sure it does. I was just making a lighthearted comment related to the topic that maybe we get a discount because we have to have some extra patience sometimes. Not all visitors are rude, but the fact is some are. I have actually never in my life seen someone go in reverse down a major highway to get back to an exit they missed though, so I have to say I believe that is unique to a tourist area with lots of out of town visitors.

By the way, let me emphasize lighthearted...it was a joke...I don't know why FL residents get a discount and not CA residents. There is not a FL resident discount being offered on the cruie we just booked anyway, so we didn't get anything either.

When people go on vacation - anywhere! - they should remember to pack their manners, especially patience. They should remember that people live where they are visiting, and quite often those locals are the ones working to give them that special vacation they have saved up and hoped for. It does no one good - not the locals, not the workers, not the other visitors - to be rude on vacation.

If you personally have never gone reverse down the highway, or let your kids push over 2 year olds and laugh about it, or gone shirtless to a grocery store, or done a similarly rude and brainless thing on vacation, then you should not be offended because you are not who I am referring to.

Thanks for posting that this was just humor. It's so hard to tell sometimes and I took it at face value after the second post.

BTW - I've seen people reverse for missed exits numerous times. Some in Kansas City and some here in Denver. I wouldn't call either one a heavy tourist area. I think it's just that there are "idiots" on the road no manner where you live. I have to remember everyday that "rush hour" is simply an oxymoron.

As far as the other items...rude behavior exists everywhere unfortunately. I've seen similar behavior in Orlando but also in other places I've visited and lived.

Jodijo
10-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Ok, I emailed DCL to ask about discounts on cruises for people living in CA. Here us the response:

Dear Jodi,

Thank you for your email.

Your thoughtfulness in sharing your observations with ways we can
improve our cruise experience is much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I do not know if we will be offering a California
Resident Offer in the future. Please continue to check for any updates
on our website. Special promotions can be viewed online at
www.disneycruise.com, hover over Cruises & Destinations, and click on
Special Offers.

Please be assured that your thoughts will be shared with management.
Input from our Guests is a valuable tool in determining ways we can make
their visits more convenient and enjoyable. This is very important to
us, as we are committed to offering a cruise experience that meets the
Disney standards of excellence and provides the type of magical vacation
our Guests have come to expect.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

We hope to sail with you soon!

Sincerely,

Stephanie
Reservations Department
Disney Cruise Line

Disney Dreams
10-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Regarding CA residents getting a discount on DCL cruises starting in CA, similar to FL residents on FL cruises, my guess would be it is not offered right now because DCL is brand new to the West Coast and there is no need to offer the incentive. The cruises are going to book soooooo fast, as people have been waiting and hoping for West Coast Disney Cruises, that Disney has no need to offer an incentive to book. Give it a little time. I would be willing to bet that some sort of CA discount will surface after DCL is on the west coast for a bit.

- Dreams

orlandothebeagle
10-27-2010, 02:53 PM

Ok, Im sorry,I thought you were serious,it was a sweeping generilisation towards tourists you made though. but, should take a joke.we have locals ,not just tourists reversing down the motor ways, shirtless, not a chance, too cold here!

BealsRwe
10-27-2010, 05:35 PM
There might be CA resident discounts closer to sailing dates. Generally FL resident discounts generally don't become available until closer to sailing dates-usually less than 3 months out from sailing. Hopefully they will honor CA resident discounts is they feel the need to offer to fill the ships closer to sailing dates.