View Full Version : Labor Day Weekend 2002

09-03-2002, 03:07 PM
We (me, my wife, my son (6), and daughter (3)) made our annual trip to Disney on Labor Day weekend. It was, as always, a great weekend to be at WDW. We left right after work on and arrived at the CBR on Friday evening, checked in, and were given a room in Aruba. We walked to the food court for dinner. It started to rain before we left, but we were prepared with our umbrellas. We spent the next couple of hours playing cards and watching a little TV before going to bed. We got up early on Sat. and took the bus to Epcot. My son and I had time for a quick ride on Test Track before we went to the new Princess Breakfast at Norway. It was great. Our daughter was so happy to see Belle, Sleeping Beauty, Jasmine, Snow White, and Mary Poppins. As always the cast members were great! Breakfast was really good too. After breakfast we just walked around Norway for about 30 minutes and then took our time getting back to Futureworld. Sicne the World Showcase is open only if you have a ps for the princess breakfast, we felt like we had the park to ourselves, if only for the short walk from Norway back. It sounds silly but it was quite a thrill. We decided to go back to the resort for a swim, so hopped on the bus and went back. We swam for a while and then napped for a couple of hours. We went to dinner at the All Star Cafe and the Wide World of Sports in order to watch some of the US Open Tennis Tourney and some college football. We returned to the hotel after dinner, took a stroll around the resort, which is just beautiful. (This is our favorite resort, and we have stayed at many - (ASSp, ASMu, ASMo, POFQ, POR, Contemporary, Poly, the Swan, CSR, and of course CBR) - The ground are beautiful, the rooms are just a bit bigger, they have a dressing curtain for a little privacy, and the cast is always superb!) We watched the Epcot fireworks from our parking lot and then went to sleep. Sunday am we got up and went to MGM. My son and I went directly to Star Tours, while my wife and daughter went to an early Playhouse Disney show. We then met up for a frozen coke before splitting up again for Beauty and the Beast (my wife and daughter), and Indiana Jones (my son and I). We met up after the shows and took the bus to the TTC and then the monorail to MK. In the past we have taken the boat from MGM to Epcot or vice versa. We have also park hopped from MK to Epcot and vice versa on the monorail. This was our first hop from MGM to MK and I don't think I would go the TTC route again. The wait for the bus was very long, the bus was crowded and we got stuck in a large crowd of people at the TTC. We then went straight to the Columbia House for a great lunch. Right after lunch I dashed over to Thunder and Splash Mountains for fast passes, while my wife and son shopped for a 3-point revolutionary hat for a school celebration. We then rode pirates of the Caribbean. We were going to ride Small World, but the wait was 40 minutes! This was the only time all weekend that we went anywhere that was crowded. Usually Labor Day weekend is not very busy and this year followed form, except for Sunday pm at the MK. Anyway, my wife and daughter decided to catch the parade on the way out, while my son and I rode Thunder Mountain. Then my son and I went to Tom Sawyer Island, where we watched the parade from Aunt Polly's dock. After that we rode Splash Mountain before returning to the resort. We ate dinner at the Captain's Tavern. We spent dinner taking in Old Port Royale and wondering what it will look like when the refurbishing is over. Monday am we got up and went to Epcot. My son and I went over and got Fast Passes for Test Track while my wife and daughter got us ps for Garden Grille. We then all rode Spaceship Earth before splitting up again - my son and I going to TT and my wife and daughter going to Innovations West to play. We met up at 11 and went to France to watch Impression de France - this 18 minute movie has inspired my wife and I to go to France next year! After the movie we ate lunch at the Garden Grille, rode Living with the Land and then took the bus back to the resort and drove home.

Just another great relaxing weekend at WDW!

09-03-2002, 04:04 PM
I enjoyed reading your trip report. Sounds like you and your family had a great weekend!

09-03-2002, 04:12 PM
Sounds fantastic!

09-03-2002, 04:25 PM
Glad you had a great time. I can't wait to go!!

09-03-2002, 05:43 PM
Hi! We were there too. I am just about to start my trip reports. We were at MK on Sunday very early. We had a 8am ps at the castle and then rode all we wanted with no waits until around noon. We then decided to go back to AKL to swim and could not believe all the CRAZY people just arriving at MK. It was unbelievable!!!! I think we got out of there just in time!!!!!It was the first time we had seen a real crowd all weekend!

09-03-2002, 07:20 PM
Hi We were there also! We arrived on Saturday evening, and left on Monday around 3:30 p.m. The crowds were heavy in Epcot on Sat, I thought. MK became very heavy after lunch on Sunday, but AK was great on Monday!
Thanks for the great report! I think 90% of the people there must have been Florida residents. ;)

09-04-2002, 08:41 PM
We were at AK Sat. It was pretty light and then Epcot saturday night. the place was empty. People were walking up to Rose and Crown with no PS and being seated immediately.

09-04-2002, 08:48 PM
Hi Susy! We had gone over to AKL on Sat night trying to get into Boma. They were so packed that they weren't accepting walk-ins. We had to make a PS for Sunday night. Cape May was an hour behind schedule due to a power outtage. Le Cellier had a 45 minute to 1 hour wait, and we finally got into Teppanyaki with only a 20 minute or so wait. I guess it just felt really crowded to me compared to the weekend before.

09-05-2002, 03:36 PM
Tampa - we must've just missed each other all weekend! We were in Jamaica 42, did Epcot on Monday when you did, and were also at MK when you were ... In The Same Areas! We wore lime green ribbons on my fanny pack, our camera bag, and our blue pin lanyards. Will be posting trip reports in the next few days.