PDA

View Full Version : Alaska cruise vs. 3 night Bahamas

utahkennedys
10-21-2010, 06:21 PM
We just returned from our first Disney Cruise (3 night Bahamas) and loved every second of it. We live in Seattle so it would be SO easy for us to leave from Vancouver and skip the plane rides and airfare. My question is, how do you think they compare? Will it be cold on the ship in summer in Alaska, or in other words, warm enough to swim and enjoy the deck? How about the ports? Are there good things for a 5 and 9 year old to see and do without expensive excursions? I guess I am thinking that the things we adored about the Bahamas cruise (warm weather, Pirate Party, Castaway Cay most of all!), will be absent and I am worried to pay a huge amount of $ on a 7 night Alaska and wish we were on the 3 day Bahamas again. Thoughts?

jilljill
10-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Here's a thread full of AK info: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2509915

willturner
10-21-2010, 06:52 PM
We did an Alaskan cruise 9 years ago and I have to say it was absolutely amazing. We went in July and the temperatures were fine for us (we were living in the Okanagan Valley in B.C. at the time). We even had beautiful clear blue skies and warm weather in Ketchican which apparently doesn't happen often. It is very different from a beach vacation so go expecting something totally different - it will knock your socks off!

Ginamarie
10-21-2010, 07:12 PM
I think you'd enjoy the AK cruise! We're signed up for one of the AK itineraries in June. My parents did an AK cruise two years ago on Princess and loved it enough to want to go again on DCL. They sailed in July and it was HOT, really unseasonably hot, but even at the average temperatures it should still be warm enough to get in the pools during the summer.

There are some very expensive excursions in AK, but if you do your research you should be fine. We're traveling on a budget this year and will be picking one (maybe two) of the excursions we want to do most and that will be it for us. My mom pointed out that Sitka is a very small port, and you could walk from the ship to the national park, which the kids loved (a whole day exploring for free, including the kids earning park ranger badges).

DCL will still have deck parties and all of the great service that you found in the Bahamas. We had similar concerns about cold weather before our Transatlantic cruise this spring and we loved it!

jilljill
10-21-2010, 10:38 PM
I think you'd enjoy the AK cruise! We're signed up for one of the AK itineraries in June. My parents did an AK cruise two years ago on Princess and loved it enough to want to go again on DCL. They sailed in July and it was HOT, really unseasonably hot, but even at the average temperatures it should still be warm enough to get in the pools during the summer.

There are some very expensive excursions in AK, but if you do your research you should be fine. We're traveling on a budget this year and will be picking one (maybe two) of the excursions we want to do most and that will be it for us. My mom pointed out that Sitka is a very small port, and you could walk from the ship to the national park, which the kids loved (a whole day exploring for free, including the kids earning park ranger badges).

DCL will still have deck parties and all of the great service that you found in the Bahamas. We had similar concerns about cold weather before our Transatlantic cruise this spring and we loved it!
DCL doesn't go to Sitka. The ports are Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

justmestace
10-21-2010, 10:49 PM
We just returned from our first Disney Cruise (3 night Bahamas) and loved every second of it. We live in Seattle so it would be SO easy for us to leave from Vancouver and skip the plane rides and airfare. My question is, how do you think they compare? Will it be cold on the ship in summer in Alaska, or in other words, warm enough to swim and enjoy the deck? How about the ports? Are there good things for a 5 and 9 year old to see and do without expensive excursions? I guess I am thinking that the things we adored about the Bahamas cruise (warm weather, Pirate Party, Castaway Cay most of all!), will be absent and I am worried to pay a huge amount of $ on a 7 night Alaska and wish we were on the 3 day Bahamas again. Thoughts?

Here's a question for you.....you live up that way, and could have easily done an Alaska cruise any time. Did you WANT to do one, before Disney started their itineraries?
Yes, it will be cold.... Some people did get into the pool, but not very many. (We cruised AK on Norwegian this past May). Mostly, people tried to get into the hot tubs, which wasn't easy, since there aren't very many.

It could rain. We were lucky, it mostly only rained at night, and in Ketchikan.

Your 9 year old will probably find a lot of things to see and do that are interesting, your 5 year old could be bored. There was a 5 year old in our group, and she wasn't having much fun in any of the ports, and it made it hard on her older siblings and parents.

The experience onboard Disney, as you know, is awesome. You'll never go wrong with that.
But Alaska is pretty "port intensive", so you might want to think about your kids' ages, and the weather before deciding.
Perhaps waiting another year or so would be best?

utahkennedys
10-22-2010, 04:23 PM
We for sure want to take advantage of being close to Alaska while we are here, but I think it may make sense to wait a few years and stick to cruises out of FL as we really like the swimming/sun aspect and I know DH would be very disappointed without that for now. Thanks to everyone.