PDA

View Full Version : February Shuttle launch change??

3Mickeys
10-21-2010, 03:04 PM
I think I'm losing my mind.... 2 months ago I found out the shuttle was scheduled to launch Saturday Feb 26th, the day our cruise left. All hotels were booked, etc. I've been nervous about transport and traffic. Just got a response from the car company and they said the launch is the 27th. Looks like it on the Nasa site. Anyone else leaving Feb 26 or Feb 27 know of this switch??
I have been nervous about it and now it looks like I won't even see the launch! Oh well. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else had concerns.

orlandothebeagle
10-21-2010, 03:08 PM
I think I'm losing my mind.... 2 months ago I found out the shuttle was scheduled to launch Saturday Feb 26th, the day our cruise left. All hotels were booked, etc. I've been nervous about transport and traffic. Just got a response from the car company and they said the launch is the 27th. Looks like it on the Nasa site. Anyone else leaving Feb 26 or Feb 27 know of this switch??
I have been nervous about it and now it looks like I won't even see the launch! Oh well. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else had concerns.

I gave up years ago trying to see a shuttle launch.
We booked SO many hols around them.
Enevitably they always get pushed back.:confused:

peachygreen
10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
I noticed last week that it looked like it has been bumped 1 day so far. Since it is now after the 26th I'm hoping it gets bumped a few more days so that I might be able to get a hotel room cheaper at the port. We managed to snag 2 rooms at the Sheraton but they are a bit pricey.

The launch dates get moved anytime there is some test or something that doesn't pass. Maybe if we are lucky they can move it until our return the next week.

3Mickeys
10-21-2010, 03:11 PM
I noticed last week that it looked like it has been bumped 1 day so far. Since it is now after the 26th I'm hoping it gets bumped a few more days so that I might be able to get a hotel room cheaper at the port. We managed to snag 2 rooms at the Sheraton but they are a bit pricey.

The launch dates get moved anytime there is some test or something that doesn't pass. Maybe if we are lucky they can move it until our return the next week.

OOhhh... that would be good if we say it on the return. We can hope!

KingRichard
10-21-2010, 03:16 PM
That is so cool. Our ship comes in at 8 am that day.

Lets hope for the best.

collectoraholic
10-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Yes, they can get pushed back @ any time for any reason. We are to go to the launch on Nov. 1st and there is a good possibility that it will be pushed back due to the shuttle currently leaking while on the launch pad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed b/c it is so close and it will be troublesome for us and our travel plans (from TX) if it is pushed.

Chee Chick
10-21-2010, 04:24 PM
The launch has indeed slipped one day to Feb. 27. The reason for the slip has to do with other Japanese and European spacecraft that will be docking and undocking from the ISS in the same timeframe.

HashHoney
10-21-2010, 04:40 PM
I know it could change, but I hope it stays Feb 27th. We're scheduled to leave on the Dream that day. It would be so exciting to see the shuttle launch from the deck of our very first cruise! :yay:

kathi
10-21-2010, 08:17 PM
The Nov 1st launch is still on schedule (despite the fuel line leak - they had a 4 day buffer built in). We have tickets to the launch and are watching it VERY CLOSELY!!

Keeping our fingers crossed for no more issues!

NancyIL
10-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I hope the Feb. 27 launch gets pushed back some more, because I'm driving to the port that day!

dursin
10-21-2010, 09:01 PM
We live about 35 minutes from the port and have seen many launches. Not many left, but if you're at all able to, try to see one of these last few. It's an amazing experience.

Beavertails Queen
10-21-2010, 10:54 PM
We are leaving on the Dream Feb. 27 as well. Anyone know what the traffic is like on launch days? We are trying to make our plans for that day. The website currently says 3:38pm (or something like that).
Thanks for your input!