PDA

View Full Version : Clean cheap hotel near VA Autotrain?

drgnfly30
08-29-2002, 07:18 AM
DH & I are thinking about staying near Lorton VA the night before our departure day on the Autotrain - Anybody know of an inexpensive but clean hotel near the station?

Obi-Wan Pinobi
08-29-2002, 07:33 AM
Okay, I'm going off memory here .....

North of Lorton is the Springfield interchange area, where I-95, I-495, and I-395 all meet. There's a good size mall there and several hotels of differing quality. Downside is the traffic. That interchange is in the midst of construction and constant HEAVY traffic. IIRC, there's a Days Inn that's so-so and a Holiday Inn that's pretty nice but I'm not sure of the $$.

South of Lorton is Dale City/Woodbridge. The Potomac Mills mall is there, along with many other shopping centers. There are several hotels there that might be a bit more reasonable.

Both of these areas are probably 10 miles from the station, though. Woodbridge would be my choice -- pretty nice area and plenty of restaurants to choose from -- but I don't know what might be closer to the station.

drgnfly30
08-29-2002, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the info! It'll give me a good start! I think I'll check out the HI, since we are staying at HIFS while at WDW it'll give me more Priority points!

singitalto
08-29-2002, 07:39 PM
We are going to WDW in a couple of week and are taking the autotrain. Since I didn't want to take chances of hitting traffic that morning driving from home, we deceided to stay by the autotrain are the night before.
I deceided to get a room via Priceline.
I tried Alexandria, VA and got the Sheraton Suites for $45. I highly reccomend trying priceline. There is a website called www.biddingfortravel.com that has all the info you need to get the best price.

stevepete
08-29-2002, 07:44 PM
We usually stay in Washington at the Holiday Inn on Capital Hill, this way we get a little "extra vacation" within our vacation. It's very safe, clean and walking distance to everything. It is maybe 15-20 miles from the auto train. You might find an internet deal for your travel dates. If you find the hotel a little expensive, keep in mind you can spend the day in Washington for almost nothing, all the attractions are free.

There is a hotel - I believe a Comfort Inn - right near the auto train (same exit). I hope this helps. Have you taken the auto train before??

drgnfly30
08-29-2002, 07:59 PM
Actually visiting some of the Smithsonian that morning was something I was considering... wasnt sure how much time I would need though...
This is the first time we've tried the Autotrain.. I've hear good & bad but to me it beats driving & I'm not thrilled with flying lately.