PDA

View Full Version : Nov 3rd & 4th and January 5th & 6th

PineapplePrincessCA
09-10-2010, 01:31 PM
We're planning our next DL trip. :cool1:

We have AP's, live fairly close, and have flexible schedules. That said, we'd REALLY like to plan our trips when the park isn't expected to be crowded. (we were there on Tuesday and it was soooo nice to just walk onto rides!! :cloud9: )

We're thinking of November 3rd (Wednesday) and November 4th (Thursday).

also

January 5th (Wednesday) and January 6th (Thursday).

Can anybody think of reasons why these wouldn't be good days to go? We really want to plan our trips when the crowds are looooow. I don't know where to look to see if there are any special events going on during these days.

Thanks! :sunny:

PineapplePrincessCA
09-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Anybody? :)

amamax2
09-10-2010, 06:12 PM
We use the same criteria as you in planning a visit - looooooow crowds!

IMO, both of those times should be great. I can't think of why they wouldn't. However, this is what we do....I look at the calendar and pick a T-W where I don't see anything that would make crowds at DL (like you did). Then I check the park hours when they come out for those dates. If it shows short hours (ie 10 - 8), then DL is expecting low crowds. I also check the hotel availability calendar for APs to see if they are booked up (another indicator to me regarding crowds). I also check these boards to see if anything sounds like it might be up, lol.

If it all still looks good, we go. I do book hotels as soon as I pick my dates, but make sure I can cancel without penalty.

I have yet to be wrong with my reasoning - I think the longest long we have ever stood in is 15 - 20 min.

But I also don't care if we see parades, fireworks, F!, etc. So if you are looking for those things, they do not go hand in hand with low crowds (at least the kind I am looking for, lol).

Ariel224
09-10-2010, 08:42 PM
The first week of November was extremely uncrowded last year. Unfortunately, DD has cheer competition on 11/7 this year, so we're trading in the low crowd bliss for the insanity of the Holiday Season kickoff the following week.

letitsnow
09-10-2010, 10:21 PM
The first weekof january last year was really crowded from all the people there for the rose bowl and rosebowl parade. We went 1/3-1/7.. I was really shocked!!

PineapplePrincessCA
09-11-2010, 09:15 AM
The first week of November was extremely uncrowded last year.
Cool! :thumbsup2

The first weekof january last year was really crowded from all the people there for the rose bowl and rosebowl parade. We went 1/3-1/7.. I was really shocked!!

Dang, I never thought of that. Rosebowl is on Saturday, the 1st. So you still think people will be there on Wednesday, the 5th? :confused3

Don't people have to WORK???! :rotfl:

letitsnow
09-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Cool! :thumbsup2

Dang, I never thought of that. Rosebowl is on Saturday, the 1st. So you still think people will be there on Wednesday, the 5th? :confused3

Don't people have to WORK???! :rotfl:
Most people are traveling out of the state. So they might as well vacation and visit Mickey while they are out there. I was REALLY busy! Almost like a summer day. We left on a Wednesday and it was still pretty busy while we were there. The weekend was slow and it started to get busy as the week went on...

skiingfast
09-11-2010, 09:05 PM
January 5th (Wednesday) and January 6th (Thursday).

Can anybody think of reasons why these wouldn't be good days to go? We really want to plan our trips when the crowds are looooow. I don't know where to look to see if there are any special events going on during these days.

You know how a lot of schools are off for two weeks for Christmas break? This year Chirstmas is on the Sunday and New Years on the Saturday after. I haven't checked any school schedules. But will the second week be before Christmas or after New Years. This may be a dilemma. At least when I was in college I got a two week break and for me one year the break went into January.

nunzia
09-12-2010, 08:33 AM
We have gone in pretty early January, like the 9th, and it was great..I would think the week or so after New Year's would be pretty crowded since most kids are out of school. They also start taking down the Christmas things..not sure when..but Haunted Mansion and Small World might be down for that. Of course, early November will see the quick change from Halloween to Christmas. I'd think the November dates would be a bit better.

amamax2
09-12-2010, 09:07 AM
We have gone early Nov (great time) and in Jan, but like PP, not the week right after New Year's, though I am surprised to hear it was crowded. We have gone the second week before, and it has been low crowds and a great time to go.

Can you move your trip a week?

PineapplePrincessCA
09-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Christmas is on a Saturday, so I think most schools have the week of Dec 19th (which is Christmas week) and the week of Dec 26th off (which ends with Jan 1st). Then returning to school on Jan 3rd.

If school have the week of January 3rd off, that would mean they get a 3 week break and are on a "year around" schedule (which we're on. :) ) I didn't think there were really a lot of schools in the So. Calif. area on that schedule. I was thinking life returned to normal for most families on Jan 3rd. :laughing:

eta: OK, I checked the local Anaheim school schedule and yes they ARE on a year round schedule. Darn. :headache: That means they get 3 weeks off and won't return until January 10th.

hmmm.....

Brady's Mom
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
We LOVE the first week of Nov. :lovestruc Shorter hours, lower crowds, no need for FP - lines were short, usually about 10 minutes for Screamin'. The longest lines were ToT and TSMM. Those were about 20 to sometimes 30 minutes. :woohoo: