PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Cabin advice??

Parrafamily2010
09-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Anyone stay at the Wilderness Cabins before? Any insider tips or info. I booked using my annual pass discount for October. I will be traveling with my 3 children (14,10,1)

Thanks

auntie
09-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Just so you know..being that your youngest is under three ...you can still use any of the resorts even though you are a party of 5.
That being said, I've stayed in the cabins many years ago. I have visited the campground since and stayed in the regular camping loops, which I have found to be a bit more convenient to the many amenities the Fort offers. However, the cabins do nicely accomdate a family of your size. They do offer a separate sleeping area with a full sized bed, and a set of bunks. You will be sharing one bathroom. There is a murphy bed that pulls down in the living room. That's where my husband and I slept.
Kitchen is full size fridge and stove, and even a dishwasher. Full mousekeeping. The cabins also feature a pretty large sized deck..with a bbq on site as well. The cabin area has a pool, but be aware it does not have a lifeguard, and likely your family would really enjoyed the newly renovated themed pool at the Meadow Trading post area. If you're able (if you're driving) you may want to consider bringing your bikes. As it would make getting around easier. If affordable, consider getting a golf cart. The Disney ones are pricey..but if you wander over to the camping forum here on the Dis, you will be able to find another company who delivers golf carts to you at a considerable savings. Having the golf cart made our trip infinetly more enjoyable.
Hope this helps..enjoy your trip. The campground ought to be decorated with lots of Halloween decorations by the time you visit.:thumbsup2

lklasing
09-05-2010, 08:56 PM
By Wilderness Cabins, I trust you mean the cabins at Fort Wilderness (a completely different resort from the Wilderness Lodge, although just a mile or so down the road). Anyway, the cabins are great - so much roomier than a regular resort room, a full kitchen, parking right at your doorstep if you'll have a car, a great resort with lots of activities, it's quiet - no kids running down the hall outside your door, lots of benefits. There are some negatives, too - it's a very big resort - if you don't have a golf cart, you'll have to take an internal bus to go to most places.

I suggest you ask your questions - both general and specific - on the camping board. There are lots of people with lots of experience both with the cabins and in Fort Wilderness in general. Also, if you want, feel free to check out any of the trip reports from FW in my signature - they all give info about the cabins and why we love them so much.

Have a great trip!

veraletta
09-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Ask if you can have cabin # 118 or ask to be closer to the marina.
I love staying at the cabins, my husband enjoyed cooking out.
I love fishing and just having a little space of my own. I liked it more than the staying at the Boardwalk Inn.

Sunbeamblue2002
09-05-2010, 09:17 PM
We just returned from the cabins about 2.5 weeks ago and we had 7 with a us. They had a pack and play in the closet that our two yr old slept in. Just so that you know the 118 and 120 cabins are mostly given to VIP's etc and not usually offered to the average guests. The interal bus's ran often and was really quit convinent. However be aware that the bus's returning to the campgronds are often shared by the Wilderness lodge. The boat ride to MK was nice and plesent.

Just remember Outpost is going to the main parking lot for the campground and the Settlement is going to the resterant and boat to MK.

We were in the 2100 loop as that is how the cabins and campgrounds are broken into loops. We had plenty of space and had all the ammenties in the room that other hotels offer ie plenty of towls. They have a very nice pool with a slide and a splash area for younger ones. You should really go over to the camping board as they are really nice and helpful and lots of info on the goings on at the Fort Wilderness is on there. Enjoy and have a fun trip.

auntie
09-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Ask if you can have cabin # 118 or ask to be closer to the marina.
I love staying at the cabins, my husband enjoyed cooking out.
I love fishing and just having a little space of my own. I liked it more than the staying at the Boardwalk Inn.

Oh..that's right forgot about the cabin in the regular camping loop. Close to the marina/Settlement Trading post area. Doesn't hurt to make a request for it. We've had a couple of people in the camping forum mention that they snagged this premium cabin in the 100 loop. You never know...doesn't hurt to ask. :wizard:

disneydreamkate
09-05-2010, 10:16 PM
We stayed in the cabins 1/30-2/6. We are a family of five with a 15, 13, and 4 year old. We loved the cabin for the size. It was very nice to have the separate bedroom, 2 tvs, and the full kitchen. We enjoyed how quiet it was, and not having neighbors. We were close to the pool, although we only used it once. Our cabin was a bit worn looking, but it was clean and mousekeeping was wonderful. We did have a car. This is not a resort I would stay at without a car. I felt very isolated and if we would have had to rely completely on Disney transportation, I think I would have been pretty unhappy. I also did not like the fact that there was no CS there. I found our stay the year before at POR to be much more convenient...especially for the older two. They were able to go get a meal, or pay games in the arcade. At FW they were pretty much stuck there with us! I enjoyed our stay there , but would probably not stay there again. It by NO means effected what a wonderful vacation we had though! ;)

Parrafamily2010
09-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. We are annual passholders & stopped staying on property when my DD was born (Oct '09) b/c we mainly couldn't afford a DVC property & needed more amenities than a standard hotel.

Since the Oct trip is only for a weekend, my hubby let me splurge - I could have stayed in a DVC studio for almost the same price- but I like idea of the full kitchen and isolation.

Going to check out the camping boards in a bit... gotta get my baby to sleep

honeydiane1953
09-06-2010, 09:55 PM
First with such a small one I would request a quiet room. Getting a little one to take a nap in a dark quiet room in much easier. My daughter always gets a pak n play as her 3 yr old is not accustomed to sleeping with her. :cool1:

happiestgrl
09-06-2010, 11:01 PM
My tip would be to bring a flashlight. It's really dark outside the cabins even with the porch light on. It made a trip to the car or golf cart much easier. Have a wonderful trip!