PDA

View Full Version : Worried if we are going to enjoy it?

candy1
09-05-2010, 05:14 PM
We are staying at OKW at the end of october and i am getting worried after reading so many reviews at people not enjoying it because they like the hotel feel that OKW does not have. Thats my problem i like the hotel corridor thing and now i am worried that we will not get the disney resort feeling at OLW, we have a 2 bed villa and we thought it would be great to have that extra room which OKW offers i never gave another thought to it not feeling like a hotel.
How do you think we will do?

Brooknwdw
09-05-2010, 05:37 PM
We stayed at OKW in 2008 because we rented points from a DVC owner. We stayed 5 nights in a studio.
In short, we LOVED it! It was really beautiful, and I don't recall any long bus waits or any other issues that I've seen reported here..no problems to report that I can remember.
You are right, it doesn't have a "hotel" feel so to speak, each has an outside door entrance I believe..

We try to stay somewhere new each time, but we'd definately stay at OKW again! :)

emlutz23
09-05-2010, 05:41 PM
You will have a wonderful time! I happen to love the "condo-style" OKW, and others like it, offer. You can get the hallway hotel feel anywhere. And you will love having all that space a 2-bed villa offers!

For me, as long as I'm on Disney property then I am happy! :)

Kay1
09-05-2010, 06:15 PM
We only stayed there once but we loved it. It was just so pretty and nice and we were only in a studio. I understand you're having second thoughts but I think you should go for it. It's really lovely.

:)

Sammie
09-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Well it's hard to say. OKW is a beautiful resort, rooms are huge and fabulous, but it is not a hotel.

If you go with the mindset that only hotels are what you like, then yes you are probably going to be disappointed.

If you really prefer hotels, why did you book it?

Deb & Bill
09-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Well it's hard to say. OKW is a beautiful resort, rooms are huge and fabulous, but it is not a hotel.

If you go with the mindset that only hotels are what you like, then yes you are probably going to be disappointed.

Another time where I'll have to agree with Sammie. We love OKW because of the community feel to it. We're not the hotel-style resort fans. We love being able to park right near our villa. Buses are handy as are the neighborhood pools. Most of the villas have excellent views of the golf course or the Trumbo Canal.

If you like hotels, elevators, room service, turndown service, you need to change your reservation as soon as possible.

MFLetou
09-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Its probably worth pointing out here that only Deluxe properties have indoor corridors--none of the moderates or values do either. So...if that's kind of your definition of what you want in a resort hotel, the DVC properties that you might like better would be BLT, BWV, AK, or WL.

honeydiane1953
09-06-2010, 02:08 AM
I have never stayed at OKW however reading these boards THEY say it's big, big, big. I wouldn't prob stay there for that reason. IMO u do enough walking in the parks then have to w a l k when you get 'home'.

BYC
09-06-2010, 08:14 AM
We loved OKW! They designed the buildings to look like Key West "Conch" houses. We had a HUGE balcony with a full size table and chairs to eat on. The entire villa was enormous. Do not fret at all. You will love all the space. :banana:

DisneyNutMary
09-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Is the lack of a hotel corridor the only thing that has you worried?

OKW feels like any other Disney Resort, it feels like you are immersed in the world that the Imagineers have created. You will feel like you are in Key West when you stay. The rooms are large, and well worth every thing you gave up to be there (i.e. corridors, room service, etc)
Relax, and take the resort for what it is, and you will likely enjoy your trip... wait til you see the sandcastle slide, or take a ferry to DTD, you will not regret staying at OKW

twinboysmom
09-06-2010, 08:41 AM
I really liked OKW. It's been a few years since I stayed there but it is being updated and looks beautiful. When I stayed there we almost exclusively used the buses, rare for us. They drop you off just a short walk from your unit. I noticed a post about it being so big and spread out, it is but no, there is not a lot of walking. When you check in just ask about the easiest way to get to the hospitality center and they will explain it to you. I remember it being super easy. Now for long walks, anyone been to AKL or BWI lately? I am sure there are others as well but those are two traditional hotels that I did a lot of walking. Didn't think those long hallways would ever end.

disneychic2
09-06-2010, 07:08 PM
I hate to be the one negative, but joined the forum just to let you know we stayed at OKW last year and will never stay there again. The room was fabulous, over 900 sq ft, overlooked a golf course and was beautiful. But there was no food court for a quick bite and the pools were quite a jaunt. Also, the bus stop we were closest to was in the sun with no protection, the buses were few and far between and took forever making lots of stops once we were on it. (I should say there is a small place for quick food that had almost no options) I would check out WL or one of the moderates. Our fav is POFQ. But everyone is right in that, being at Disney is the main thing and we certainly enjoyed our trip in spite of the drawbacks we encountered!

Sammie
09-07-2010, 02:48 AM
I hate to be the one negative, but joined the forum just to let you know we stayed at OKW last year and will never stay there again. The room was fabulous, over 900 sq ft, overlooked a golf course and was beautiful. But there was no food court for a quick bite and the pools were quite a jaunt. Also, the bus stop we were closest to was in the sun with no protection, the buses were few and far between and took forever making lots of stops once we were on it. (I should say there is a small place for quick food that had almost no options) I would check out WL or one of the moderates. Our fav is POFQ. But everyone is right in that, being at Disney is the main thing and we certainly enjoyed our trip in spite of the drawbacks we encountered!

What area were you in? I have never seen a uncovered bus stop. All we have ever had were covered, with fans and places to sit down.

Here is a photo:
http://allears.net/acc/okw/okw10a2.jpg

The food area that is quick to go has as many options as any deluxe quick service. No deluxe quick service will offer what the moderate Food Courts offer.

candy1
09-07-2010, 04:00 AM

I booked this in October 2009, since then we have stayed at BC club level and Grand Floridian club level and really loved both resorts, i have now read lots of posts which made me worry that we might not enjoy it as much as i thought, we were not mad on Coronado Springs Resort. Anyhow after reading all the comments everyone has made i am sure we are going to enjoy it after all it is Disney:)

scot@dvcstore
09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Candy,
I would not worry about a thing. OKW is a beautiful resort and you may never want to stay in a hotel again after you stay at a DVC Resort. Enjoy your vacation. :banana::cool1::banana:

Missytara
09-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Don't forget to check out Olivia's and take the water taxi over to SSR to the Turf Club.

IMHO, these are two of the most overlooked restaurants. We stayed at SSR last year on the 4/3 deal and I absolutely loved, loved, loved both restaurants.

TiaMaria
09-07-2010, 03:47 PM

This seems to come up alot. Deluxes and deluxe villas do not have food courts. They do have counter service restaurants however.

There are no "food stations" per se, but they normally have a pretty decent selection.

The DVC ones in particular, are sometimes in the same location as the small grocery onsite at those properties - not always - but they are at least nearby - so that you can also add to your meal or take items back to your villas. OKW happens to be one of those - Goods to Go is the outdoor CS and the grocery items can be found indoors in the same building.

All the OKW bus stops are sheltered. You can hop on the bus and disembark at the Hospitality House area - which is the last stop before the bus leaves the resort - if you don't want to walk.

You have a beautiful marina there and can take boats to Downtown Disney which is very close by. The boats and the DTD bus are great alternatives if you are looking for other dining choices IMO.

You will not BELIEVE how huge the OKW 2 bedroom villas are - and the balconies - HUGE!

Enjoy and don't stress.

amberjack
09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
OKW is great! Be sure to check out the Gurgling Suitcase.:thumbsup2

rentayenta
09-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Loved OKW. I would give up a food court ANYDAY to have the luxury of a DVC villa. :thumbsup2

NewmanFamily6
09-08-2010, 03:43 AM
My family stayed in the Turtle Pond section in January 2009. We loved OKW. The rooms are larger than the other DVC resorts. The children loved the pool. We were close to the bus stop. We wouldn't mind staying there again:thumbsup2

MickeyNicki
09-08-2010, 03:01 PM
We stayed there for 4 nights back in 08 and we liked it, nice and quiet and relaxing and we were in bldg 54 by the quiet pool and spa. I will admit that I missed having a food court but other than that we had a great stay, the bus service was the best out of any resort we have stayed at