PDA

View Full Version : Having so much trouble!!!

metchick
09-03-2010, 06:06 PM
I am trying to put the name Aliya in front of the disney fairies and Sarah in front of the princesses. My friend showed me how to do it in PhotoShop today using masks and I can't seem to get it right.

Can anyone offer a hand or explain how this is done? We leave for Disney this week and I have to autograph book covers.

Thanks to anyone who responds in advance.

:grouphug:

frzndaqiri
09-03-2010, 06:25 PM
If you are using photoshop :
Open the image
Click on the Text tool (the T) and draw a box where you want the text
Set the Font type you want from the dropdown at the top
Type in the name
Highlight the name and adjust size or anything else you need to
Click the checkmark at the top when done

If you need to move the text, use the move tool (the arrow and crosshair) and click and drag it around

Once you're done do a File > Save As and save it as a Type of JPG
You won't be able to move the text again - so you might want to save it as another name in case you want to start over

Masks are needed only if you have two images to blend together. The text tool automatically makes everything around the text transparent. Now if you have the names already as another picture, let me know and I can help with masking.

metchick
09-03-2010, 06:59 PM
But does that just make the fairies show up in the lettering and the rest of the area blank

cindy0519
09-03-2010, 08:25 PM
If your trying to put the image into the text, simply creating the text layer alone will not work. Try this:

Step 1: Open A Photo To Place Inside Your Text
Step 2: Duplicate The Background Layer - You currently have one layer in the layers pallette named Background. This layer contains your image and needs to be duplicated. The easiest way to do that is by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+J (Win) / Command+J (Mac).
Step 3: Add A New Blank Layer Between The Two Layers -To add a new layer below the currently selected layer, hold down your Ctrl (Win) / Command (Mac) key and click on the New Layer icon at the bottom of the Layers palette. Holding down Ctrl (Win) / Command (Mac) is the trick to placing the layer below the currently selected layer.
Step 4: Fill The New Layer With White -Fill the new layer with white so it will appear as a white background after you've placed the image inside the text. Go up to the Edit menu at the top of the screen and choose Fill. This will bring up Photoshop's Fill dialog box. Select White for the Contents option at the top of the dialog box, then click OK to exit out of the dialog box.
Step 5: Select "Layer 1" In The Layers Palette - In order to see the text when it is added, you will need to have the text appear above "Layer 1", otherwise the image on "Layer 1" will block the text from view. To make sure you can see the text, click on "Layer 1" in the Layers palette to select it.
Step 6: Select The Type Tool - You can also quickly select the Type Tool by pressing the letter T on your keyboard.
Step 7: Choose A Font In The Options Bar
Step 8: Set White As Your Foreground Color - This step isn't absolutely necessary, but to help it does help you to see the text. The color you choose for your text doesn't really matter since you will be filling the text with an image, but it does helps to be able to see the text when your adding it. To do this easily press the letter D on your keyboard, this will reset the Foreground and Background colors to their defaults. To swap them so white becomes the Foreground color, press the letter X on your keyboard.
Step 9: Add Your Text
Step 10: Resize and Reposition The Text With The Free Transform Command -If you want to resize the text without distorting the look of it, hold down your Shift key and drag any of the four corner handles. You can also resize the text from its center by holding down the Alt (Win) / Option (Mac) key as you drag. Finally, to move the text, click anywhere inside the Free Transform box and drag your mouse to move the text around inside the document window. Press Enter (Win) / Return (Mac) when you're done to accept the transformation and exit out of the Free Transform command
Step 11: Drag The Text Layer Below "Layer 1"
Now that you have the text the way you want it, you need to move the type layer below the text in the Layers palette. Click on the text layer, then simply drag it down below "Layer 1". You'll see a thick black line appear between "Layer 1" and "Layer 2". Release your mouse button when the black line appears to drop the type layer into place between "Layer 1" and "Layer 2".
Step 12: Select "Layer 1" Again- Click once again on "Layer 1" in the Layers palette to select it.
Step 13: Create A Clipping Mask -With "Layer 1" selected in the Layers palette, go up to the Layer menu at the top of the screen and choose Create Clipping Mask.
Step 14: Add A Drop Shadow (Optional)-If you want to add drop shadows, first select the type layer in the Layers palette, then click on the Layer Styles icon at the bottom of the Layers palette. Select Drop Shadow from the list of layer styles that appears. Choose the features for the drop shadow that you would like from the dialog box that appears.
Step 15: Save the file in your desired format.

Seems like a long list when typed out but it really isn't too difficult in pratice. Good Luck!

frzndaqiri
09-03-2010, 11:59 PM
No, the Text tool auto makes it's own layer. No extra steps. It sits on top of the fairies.

If you're trying to make the letters be MADE OUT OF your fairies image, then after you do the steps I gave above, drag the text layer so it is BELOW your picture.

Hold down ALT on your keyboard and click on the layer of your image. It will auto clip so the text is made out of your image and nothing else is visible. You don't need to do the extra layers above. ;)

If you're still having trouble PM me and I'll help you out.

rie'smom
09-04-2010, 01:52 AM
This is a great tutorial. She's chatty but very good and make it easy!!! This is for PSP.

jtanddolly
09-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Here is a video tutorial that will walk you through how to get a picture into letters (also called name fill):

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/Shriva23/?action=view&current=New03.flv

Here is a thread with steps as well:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1220469

scboyd
09-04-2010, 06:44 AM
What a great tutorial. Thanks Im just learning Photoshop and was trying to do this yesterday and now with your help i have succeeded.

thanks
scboyd

rie'smom
09-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Here is a video tutorial that will walk you through how to get a picture into letters (also called name fill):

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/Shriva23/?action=view&current=New03.flv

Here is a thread with steps as well:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1220469

The photobucket link requires a password.