PDA

View Full Version : Poly Girl returns from the Beach Club

jackal
09-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Well, we just got back from our first ever Adult trip at the Beach Club. I have always wanted to stay there and this was a great opportunity. We have stayed at the Poly, CR and GF before.

Let me start by saying that the location cannot be beat if you are EPCOT and HS fans. Number one selling point right there.

Our biggest complaint was the noise in the room. OMG, I have stayed at roach motels that had thicker walls. We heard our neighbors perfectly. And they were NOT being overly loud. They were having normal conversations, going to the bathroom, etc.. We heard everything that went on in that bathroom and let me tell you, it was not fun. The first night, we thought someone was in our closet it was like they were right in our room. DH actually opened the closet up to see if there was a hole or something. It was terrible. I cannot believe how thin those walls were. We were going to ask to be moved but we realized that these people were not be overly loud. They were having normal conversations and just going to the bathroom or taking showers.

Another huge complaint was the Market Place. Forgive me BC lovers, but it was kind of joke. They have so little options and it is so small. What a waste of a counter service meal.

Now, the to bright spots. The room was beautiful. I thought it would be smaller, but it really didn't look any smaller than the Poly. Maybe a littler narrower? In any event, there was not much difference that we noticed. The hotel is very beautiful. Housekeeping did a nice job. The CM's at the resort were nice and helpful. Our room was toward the end of the resort towards Epcot and the walk was 3 or 4 minutes tops to the gateway. We also walked to HS every time. It was a nice walk. Probably from where we were it took about 15 to 17 minutes. The boats took just way too long and we beat them every time when we walked. If we had the kids with us, we might have taken the boats a few times.

The pool, of course, is nice. It is kind of a pain getting a wrist band to go in because it gets backed up and takes awhile, but I can see why they do it. We are from Wisconsin, the "water park capital" of the World, so we weren't too impressed with the pool, but it was still very nice. We went to the pool outside our room quite a bit.

Buses were fine. No real problems except for the bus to Downtown Disney, but that is everywhere so I wasn't expecting much there.

Would we stay there again? Probably not. The walls were just so thin. If the kids were with us, they never would have gotten any sleep from the noise from the other rooms, plus the Market place just does not thrill us for grabbing a bite to eat. We probably would head back the MK resorts. They are just so convenient and have so much to offer getting a quick meal, etc.

Again, great location though. The hotel is very lovely. I can see why there are so many BC lovers! It just isn't for us - especially if we had the kids with us.

tink_lover
09-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the review! The thin walls are why I always travel with a sound machine. Kids get to pick out whatever they want to listen to at night. I'm the light sleeper in the group but it really helps all of us.

Tess
09-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Well, we just got back from our first ever Adult trip at the Beach Club. I have always wanted to stay there and this was a great opportunity. We have stayed at the Poly, CR and GF before.

Let me start by saying that the location cannot be beat if you are EPCOT and HS fans. Number one selling point right there.

Our biggest complaint was the noise in the room. OMG, I have stayed at roach motels that had thicker walls. We heard our neighbors perfectly. And they were NOT being overly loud. They were having normal conversations, going to the bathroom, etc.. We heard everything that went on in that bathroom and let me tell you, it was not fun. The first night, we thought someone was in our closet it was like they were right in our room. DH actually opened the closet up to see if there was a hole or something. It was terrible. I cannot believe how thin those walls were. We were going to ask to be moved but we realized that these people were not be overly loud. They were having normal conversations and just going to the bathroom or taking showers.

Another huge complaint was the Market Place. Forgive me BC lovers, but it was kind of joke. They have so little options and it is so small. What a waste of a counter service meal.

Now, the to bright spots. The room was beautiful. I thought it would be smaller, but it really didn't look any smaller than the Poly. Maybe a littler narrower? In any event, there was not much difference that we noticed. The hotel is very beautiful. Housekeeping did a nice job. The CM's at the resort were nice and helpful. Our room was toward the end of the resort towards Epcot and the walk was 3 or 4 minutes tops to the gateway. We also walked to HS every time. It was a nice walk. Probably from where we were it took about 15 to 17 minutes. The boats took just way too long and we beat them every time when we walked. If we had the kids with us, we might have taken the boats a few times.

The pool, of course, is nice. It is kind of a pain getting a wrist band to go in because it gets backed up and takes awhile, but I can see why they do it. We are from Wisconsin, the "water park capital" of the World, so we weren't too impressed with the pool, but it was still very nice. We went to the pool outside our room quite a bit.

Buses were fine. No real problems except for the bus to Downtown Disney, but that is everywhere so I wasn't expecting much there.

Would we stay there again? Probably not. The walls were just so thin. If the kids were with us, they never would have gotten any sleep from the noise from the other rooms, plus the Market place just does not thrill us for grabbing a bite to eat. We probably would head back the MK resorts. They are just so convenient and have so much to offer getting a quick meal, etc.

Again, great location though. The hotel is very lovely. I can see why there are so many BC lovers! It just isn't for us - especially if we had the kids with us.

It sounds as if you had a room in the area we love to stay at BC, near the quiet pool end. Thankfully during our stay last year we had no neighbors and so we didn't get the neighbor noise. I hope it isn't an issue in October. :confused:

I have to agree with you about Marketplace--waste of space and time since there is very little to offer. I have seen people complain no end about the limited options at Captain Cook's, but Marketplace has even less. On the other hand, there is Beaches & Cream and Captain's Grille next door. The latter doesn't seem to get too busy.

We aren't crazy over Stormalong Bay either, but we do quite enjoy the quiet pool since it is rarely busy and usually very quiet. :thumbsup2

With our kids along, we opt for the Polynesian. When it is grown-up time, BC is a good option for its proximity to EPCOT and DHS. The bus service though leaves a lot to be desired. When attending F&W, the BC can't be beat, but I still prefer the Polynesian. . . :love:

Sounds as if you had a good trip despite the lack of quiet. Welcome back.

CDizney
09-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi all,
I did not experience any noises from my neighbors at the BC Villas so perhaps you were in the regular BC rooms? I'm not sure what those rooms are like but I am sorry to hear that you had to hear that noise. I bring with me now on trips a little sound machine and it really helps me to relax at the end of a long day and drown out any noises that may occur.

ChicagoFitnessClub
09-03-2010, 02:00 PM
The marketplace isn't really meant to be something fancy, just a quick bite if you want it. I only use it for breakfast.. they have yogurt parfait, ham and cheese omelet in a croissant (which is delicious), they have pastries. Works just fine for me! :thumbsup2

Tinkerbellie16
09-03-2010, 04:14 PM
I stayed at the Poly for the first time in 2007 and loved it. In 2008, we stayed at BC and I longed for the Poly. I didn't have the issue with the thin walls but I agree with everything else you wrote about. They need a better counter service and meal options (I thought Beaches & Cream was way overrated). Being close to Epcot is great, but if you just want to eat quickly, it's not really 'easy' to go to Epcot to eat and leave again. But it was awesome to be so close to Epcot when you were planning on going there!

I also did not think SAB was so great. I couldn't keep an eye on my kids like I could at the Poly and SAB was MUCH busier than Poly.

Additionally, I actually don't like the sink OUTSIDE the bathroom. Many people like this but I found it to be noisy and interuptive to our family of 4. If one person is brushing their teeth or blowdrying their hair, everyone has to listen to it.

Anyway, thanks for the honest review. BC is a great resort but I do prefer the Poly myself :lovestruc

auntfrannie
09-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm not a BC fan either. I stayed there a few years ago and hated it. I went to the front desk and asked if I could move the Poly. They were so accommodating. I just didn't find anything special about the BC but I love the Poly!

jackal
09-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I wasn't really looking for anything fancy at the Marketplace, but they could at least through in some potatoes with your morning meal. All you got for a counter services was the breakfast sandwich. Nothing else. At least at the Poly they give you some potatoes with your sandwich. I felt ripped off using the Marketplace as a counter service.

We went to the Capt's Grille twice. Was nothing special. We also did Beaches and Cream where we had terrible service. Again, the food was fine.

The thin walls is what really got to me. We seriously thought someone was in our room. We had neighbors at the Poly and CR and GF and never had that kind of trouble.

Also, I asked for a balcony and I did get a balcony with a big huge tree right on top of it. They really need to cut the branches back. There was no way I could sit out there and relax when there is a tree in my lap :confused3

We were in the hotel, not the villas.

Again, the area is absolutely beautiful. No doubt. Although, I think the Poly's is more beautiful.

jackal
09-04-2010, 10:31 AM
It sounds as if you had a room in the area we love to stay at BC, near the quiet pool end. Thankfully during our stay last year we had no neighbors and so we didn't get the neighbor noise. I hope it isn't an issue in October. :confused:

I have to agree with you about Marketplace--waste of space and time since there is very little to offer. I have seen people complain no end about the limited options at Captain Cook's, but Marketplace has even less. On the other hand, there is Beaches & Cream and Captain's Grille next door. The latter doesn't seem to get too busy.

We aren't crazy over Stormalong Bay either, but we do quite enjoy the quiet pool since it is rarely busy and usually very quiet. :thumbsup2

With our kids along, we opt for the Polynesian. When it is grown-up time, BC is a good option for its proximity to EPCOT and DHS. The bus service though leaves a lot to be desired. When attending F&W, the BC can't be beat, but I still prefer the Polynesian. . . :love:

Sounds as if you had a good trip despite the lack of quiet. Welcome back.

Thanks for the Welcome back! We did have a good trip. Our time at the quiet pool was not all the quiet. A lot of kids were in there. Which is fine. I expect kids at Disney. It wasn't a big deal to us. I am with you - Our hearts belong to the Poly.