PDA

View Full Version : Do kids like WL?

Lisadaa2
09-03-2010, 08:11 AM
We are going the week after Thanksgiving and I know it's supposed to be beautiful but will the kids think it's a fun resort? We have only stayed on property once (AKL) and they really liked it. They are animal lovers. I just didn't know if CBR or POR would be more suited for a 7 year old boy and 3 year old girl. Anybody have kids that loved WL?

jillianml
09-03-2010, 08:45 AM
We stayed here back in June.The adults loved it!However my DD age 11 was not impressed.We are returning this December and are going to stay at all star movies.We were in the parks so much and barely at the resort.I will miss the convenience of the boat transportation.

TagsMissy
09-03-2010, 08:46 AM
LOL honestly?? kids are at Disney do they really care about the hotel? When I was a kid my expectation was that the hotel had a pool. end stop. :thumbsup2

addiln
09-03-2010, 08:48 AM
we stayed at CBR and the kids there loved it. i would avoid POR since it is a little more toned down and not as exciting for kids. if i had to choose between the 3 of them i would go with CBR

hailandlog
09-03-2010, 08:49 AM
My kids are 7 years old and 6 years old. We stayed at the WL 3 years ago and the kids loved it. 2 years ago we wanted to try someplace different so we tried the Poly, kids didnt like it nearly as much at the WL, so this past July we stayed at the WL again. The kids love it and so does my husband and myself. Infact we think we are going to be sticking with the WL for all our future trips. The resort has just about everything you can ask for. Its very compact so there isnt tons of walking to get from one place to a another. The boat to the Mk and contemporary are fantastic. The pool area is great. It has a nice sized slide. There are also daily activites by the pool everyday. You can see the light parade on the water every night. And some rooms offer daily viewing of the fireworks. The resort also has the Whispering Canyon restaurant, which kids really really love. I could go on and on. As you can see im a big WL fan.:)

Goofy4
09-03-2010, 08:50 AM
They have bunk beds, bottomless milk shakes, and you can see at least some of the fireworks. :woohoo:

bwolfe
09-03-2010, 09:19 AM
We stayed at the WL in Feb. of 2009 with our three kids. (7, 6 & 3 at the time). They loved it. They liked the gyser and both pools.

Corwin
09-03-2010, 09:22 AM
We stayed at the WL for our first family visit to WDW when my DS was 10 years old. He absolutely loved it (and so did we). It's absolutely his favorite place to go.

We've spent a few nights at three other resorts (Yacht Club, Polynesian, and AKV), and didn't like any other them as much as the WL.

tami82
09-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Definitely yes!!! The theming is great and the pool area very nice (much bigger pool then some lead you to believe on the boards in my opinion anyway) slide not as big as others but fun anyway. There were also 2 tubs.
Pool area was beautiful looking up at the lodge w/waterfall and the geyser, there was a smokey mist also which was so awesome to look at. The beach area also down by the pool area, just an overall beautiful atmosphere you will not be disappointed.
My girls 6 & 8 made friends every time they went to the pool.
Daily poolside contests & activities. My two girls went every afternoon and won prizes every time. My 8 year old won the hula hoop contest and won a grand prize. Much better poolside activities at WL than i remember at the Contemporary last year although CR had a bigger slide. There is also activities in the lobby when it rains and the girls got to make as many crafts as they wanted. Also Cubs Den open 2:30 to 4:00 for crafts. As far as theming this is a great hotel for kids.

RedOnion
09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
My family and I stayed at Wilderness Lodge in 2008 (the kids were 4 and 7 at the time) and they absolutely LOVED it there. The theming is amazing: the enormous lobby; the way the spring starts right in the lobby and ends up in the pools; even the little Lincoln Logs table at the Whispering Canyon Cafe. And we all loved the many boat rides: to MK and back more times than I can count, of course, but also to the Contemporary for a Chef Mickey's breakfast, and to Fort Wilderness one night for the Hoop-Dee-Doo. Positively magical, especially with children.

One of my fondest memories is when the kids and I went downstairs at 7:30 to get milk from the mercantile, but discovered it wasn't open until 8, so we did some exploring. Every floor has some kind of hidden seating area with comfy chairs and a lit fireplace. It was a perfect cure for homesickness ... without actually having to go home. ;)

lee_d
09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
We are going the week after Thanksgiving and I know it's supposed to be beautiful but will the kids think it's a fun resort? We have only stayed on property once (AKL) and they really liked it. They are animal lovers. I just didn't know if CBR or POR would be more suited for a 7 year old boy and 3 year old girl. Anybody have kids that loved WL?

I cant offer advice as for as being there or having been there, but it will be our first time 12-5 thru 12-12 staying at WL. I have a 6yo and a 2yo that will be going. I have shown the "you tube" vids and pics to my 6yo and he is excited esp since its suppose to be one of the top Christmas themed resorts @ WDW.

RedOnion
09-03-2010, 10:22 AM
... Not to mention, quoting the 2010 Unofficial Guide: "The favorite resort of children." Not sure how scientific their methods were to come up with that, but there you go. :goodvibes

kristinmajor
09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I am taking three boys, ages 3, 5, and 7 in two weeks.

They are calling it the Lincoln Log hotel; it has a animals in the woodwork, and entire room of train memorabilia, a geyser, a beach, and great pool.

They are BESIDE themselves with excitement that we can take a boat to the magic kingdom and see the pageant from the beach.

I can't imagine a young child who wouldn't love it!

britfish
09-03-2010, 10:31 AM
We did a split stay at CBR and WL. I thought the pool at CBR was better for my 6yo. It had zero entry, two water slides and then the whole pirate pool/kids pool. However, she liked the WL better. It only has one water slide and the line was long most days but I think the fact that the pool was right there in front of us the whole time made it better for her. We were in Martinique 23 at CBR and the walk wasn't long but I think looking out of the balcony at the pool and only being a few floors above it at all times made her like it better!

marymac123
09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
We just got back from a 10 day stay & our DD4 LOVES it! It was her 2nd trip but after her 1st trip-she would talk about WL as if were her resort & only her resort.:)

gregsbrat
09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Just back and my 6 YO son LOVED WL...enjoyed the pool/poolside activities; Cub's Den activities mid-afternoon; making his own cookie; beachside movies; etc...only thing he wasn't impressed by was the game room

Manda
09-03-2010, 12:36 PM
My DS(7) is just meh about WL. He likes it for the boat transportation, but is underwhelmed by the pool (which is very important to him) and everything else about it. I, personally, find it to be a great value for what it is and tend to try to sway the family to return... but neither DS or DH are interested. If given the choice between a value again and WL, he'd certainly choose WL. But put up against any other resort we've stayed at, he'd choose any other resort we've stayed at. :thumbsup2

tinkbyday
09-03-2010, 12:47 PM
My DD loved it when we stayed there - she loved seeing the bunnies and ducks wandering around the pool area as well as the geyser, Electrical Water Parade and Whispering Canyon Cafe (foods not great, but atmosphere is fun).

I would also suggest going over to FW in the evening for the campfire with Chip and Dale and maybe a sleigh ride (I believe they will be on at the time you are there).

honeydiane1953
09-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Yesssssssssss

darwinsrule
09-03-2010, 04:22 PM
We stayed at WL a couple of weeks ago. DDs (6 and 2) liked it, but it wasn't love. The boat ride to MK were nice, beyond that the thing they like the most was the little bridge inside the lodge. We actually went back and had dinner at Boma one evening. Really regretted not going back and staying at AKL again. Both girls loved the pool on our previous trip (which unlike WL is a zero depth), they loved the animals, DW and I loved the theming, loved the Boma buffet for bfast before heading out to the park, and found the cast members just fab.

Having easy access to MK is nice, but we aren't the type to spend the entire day at a park. We do a few hours, come back and have a swim/rest and then go back out. If you are spending all day at a park, you might as well stay at a value and save a few bucks.

Next trip we are back to debating AKL or heading over to BC. We spend an evening over at BC/BW. The pool at BC looks awesome and we think the girls would love it. It will however probably be a point rental since we also want to try DVC.

WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
09-03-2010, 04:35 PM
We've been staying at WL since our DD was 5, she's 12 now and she loves it; we satyed at AKL this year and while she liked it she said next trip has to be at the WL

scot@dvcstore
09-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Why wouldn't any kid love any of the Disney Resorts? :banana::cool1::banana:

anjalee6
09-03-2010, 04:49 PM
We have two little kids and we have stayed recently at both WL and AKL. Our son loved WL so much. We went to AKL and I thought the way he was talking that he liked it better, but when I asked him which place he would rather stay next year, he said WL again. I think it's very kid friendly, fun, and close to the action. We had planned to stay AKL but I think we might head back to WL instead.

Lisadaa2
09-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Thank you for all the advice! You guys are awesome:thumbsup2. I am definately going to stick with WL especially since it's the Christmas season. I had been reading about resorts that were good for kids that's why I started to doubt my decision. It's like every few months I need to confirm that I made the right choice, so thanks for helping me remember why I chose it in the first place;). Come on Nov, 28. I am ready:cool1:

goopysolelady
09-04-2010, 01:35 AM
8 yr old granddaughter told me earlier today that Wilderness Lodge was her favorite Disney resort. She's stayed there twice, the Poly, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boardwalk Inn and we just recently returned from Bay Lake...just absolutely loves :lovestruc WL ... especially the pool! :tink:

gillenkl
09-04-2010, 07:40 AM
Just back from WL with our 10yr old twins - they both loved it. They loved the lobby and rubbing Humphrey's nose - the pool with slide. But honestly they're kids and unless they're paying they don't control the resorts we stay at. They also liked seeing the fireworks from our room (standard 6046) and riding the boats.

DisneyNutMary
09-04-2010, 07:44 AM
My kids are 16 and 12, we have been DVC owners at WL since they were 7 and 3, and they have absolutely loved WL at every stage of growth. They have loved exploring the lodge, finding hidden gems everywhere- like the animal footfrints in the cement, they love the pool and slide, the boat to MK, the WCC, the Merchantile, the little bridge in the lobby, etc.

nicki.momof3
09-04-2010, 09:46 AM
we stayed at CBR and the kids there loved it. i would avoid POR since it is a little more toned down and not as exciting for kids. if i had to choose between the 3 of them i would go with CBR

Our kids love POR - ages 5,6,7. Great pools, playground, boats to DTD, fishing hole.

kstatefamily
09-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Our then 5 year old daughter LOVED WL when we stayed 2 years ago. The boat rides to the MK were great and we thought the busses were good as well. I liked how compact the resort was, it wasn't far to go grab a refill for the cups at night.
We also liked to sit out on the "beach" and watch the light parade at night too.

Going back this December and one of her requests was to stay at WL again....and eat with the princesses. :):)

Nonie12
09-04-2010, 10:05 AM
My niece who was 5 when we all went LOVED it! (Although most of the time we were there she was watching TV! :happytv:) We absoultutly LOVED Whispering Canyon Cafe'. The waiter Rafeal was cracking Elizabeth up! :lmao: