PDA

View Full Version : Extra resort nights if a hurricane hits?

bobbie68
09-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi,

We are headed down on Tuesday and we know there are a couple of storms to watch. If the airport closes on the day you are scheduled to leave, will Disney try and help you find a room (we are not looking for a free one) or will we have to wait it out at an airport? We have a autistic daughter and I need to plan in advanced just in case.

Thanks for you help!:)

grimley1968
09-02-2010, 10:18 AM
When we got caught in Frances in 2004 at the end of our vacation, we were allowed to stay at Beach Club for a couple of extra days. We had to pay, but they did give us 2 free park hopper days, since the parks were closed those two days. We have yet to use those, actually.

But if it's bad enough that parks are closed down, you can bet the airport will be as well. It was closed for a full extra day in 2004, due to wind, even after the parks opened.

In fact, the airport stayed closed so long I had to finally rent a vehicle one way and drive home, even though we had flight tickets.

jkcyoung
09-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Believe it or not, 3 of our 4 trips to Disney our flight on the way home has been cancelled. Two of those times we were already at the airport, so we called CRO and booked a room at the all-star movies(we wanted to stay as cheap as possible since it was an unexpected expense) jumped back on ME added another day to our passes and took advantage of the extra time. Last Feb we were staying at the Poly from sat-sat and on thurs they were predicting a huge storm in the northeast(we are from NJ) we called the airline thurs night and all flights on Sat were already cancelled. The first avail flight was Tues night:scared1: We booked that and in the morning went to the front desk at the Poly to see of wee could extend our stay but they were full for the weekend. We called CRO and only very expensive rooms were available. The cheapest thing was SSR and we used the bounceback offer in our room so it wasn't too bad. We got an extra 3 nights out of it:banana:

mickey&minniealways
09-02-2010, 11:25 AM
If you tell them the situation they will do everything in their power to help. Also if you are already at the airport and the entire shuts down or even your flight till the next day or so many airlines will put you up at a nearby hotel. 2 of my children have several issues. Niether is autistic but they are on the spectrum. They both have siezure dissorders and stress can aggrivate that. The have both been known to have meltdowns in times of stress. DS handles it better. But is can set him off. He is OCD. If he get panicky its not good. Niether the airlines or airports apprieciates this. So they have been more then accomodating and the nice part is they have always footed the bill. Although we have never been in this situation because of a hurricane but snowstorms in the northeast a definate.

4HOLIDAYS
09-02-2010, 12:38 PM
We were at WDW when Wilma hit our home in S FL in 2005. As soon as we new it was going to hit for sure we booked about 6 extra nights. They were really great about it. Even kept the same discounted ap rates for us. So glad we did because the entire wdw filled fast with tons of fl people looking to eveacuate and then ride out having no power and such. We drove DH hom(with generators and gas we got in Orlando) back home to clean up mess and came back up to hang at the resort. The parks were the busiest I had ever seen so was everywhere for food but at least me and the kids had power.

jacksfriend
09-02-2010, 12:50 PM
I always wondered what would happen if i got stuck somewhere.

disnut8
09-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Hi,

We are headed down on Tuesday and we know there are a couple of storms to watch. If the airport closes on the day you are scheduled to leave, will Disney try and help you find a room (we are not looking for a free one) or will we have to wait it out at an airport? We have a autistic daughter and I need to plan in advanced just in case.

Thanks for you help!:)

Disney is fantastic when something like this happens. More than likely, there will be tons of people who do not go to Disney World in a hurricane so they will have rooms available. I was also there during Frances (checking in the day it hit) and saw a lot of people at the front desk easily getting an extension to their reservations. No need to concern yourself with waiting at the airport. And you will get plenty of notice if the airport is closing, don't worry about it.

Alexander
09-02-2010, 05:41 PM
We are here now and are scheduled to fly home on Saturday to the Northeast--well, Earl may have something to say about that! WDW is flooded with NE visitors since school hasn't started there yet, and I have a feeling that many of us our going to be here for an extra day or two. Delta and Airtran are already changing flights for free, but JetBlue is only rescheduling those going to Bermuda or Nantucket.

NatashaDisneyCM
09-02-2010, 06:08 PM
We are here now and are scheduled to fly home on Saturday to the Northeast--well, Earl may have something to say about that! WDW is flooded with NE visitors since school hasn't started there yet, and I have a feeling that many of us our going to be here for an extra day or two. Delta and Airtran are already changing flights for free, but JetBlue is only rescheduling those going to Bermuda or Nantucket.

I think you will be ok for Saturday! The weather here is that the storm is hitting on friday (tomorrow), mostly on cape...so you should be ok.http://www.thebostonchannel.com/weather/grid.html#HEARSTWX=http%3A//www.thebostonchannel.com/weather/907269/media.html%3Fqs%3D%3Bref%3D/weather/18574567/media.html%3Blongname%3D5%2520Day

kaytieeldr
09-02-2010, 09:01 PM
If you tell them the situation they will do everything in their power to help. Also if you are already at the airport and the entire shuts down or even your flight till the next day or so many airlines will put you up at a nearby hotel. 2 of my children have several issues. Niether is autistic but they are on the spectrum. They both have siezure dissorders and stress can aggrivate that. The have both been known to have meltdowns in times of stress. DS handles it better. But is can set him off. He is OCD. If he get panicky its not good. Niether the airlines or airports apprieciates this. So they have been more then accomodating and the nice part is they have always footed the bill. Although we have never been in this situation because of a hurricane but snowstorms in the northeast a definate.
It's great that airlines have been so generous toward you, but passengers shouldn't expect this same treatment. Airlines can't control or be responsible for the weather, and while they'll do what they can to help stranded passengers find hotel rooms when flights are cancelled, they very rarely pay for those rooms.

Alexander
09-03-2010, 08:49 AM
It's great that airlines have been so generous toward you, but passengers shouldn't expect this same treatment. Airlines can't control or be responsible for the weather, and while they'll do what they can to help stranded passengers find hotel rooms when flights are cancelled, they very rarely pay for those rooms.

Agreed! The airline will generally only pay if the delay is their fault (mechanical, no crew, no plane, etc.). Weather is not the airlines fault. We have been on both ends of this....mechanical delay (Rochester, NY)and the airline put us up in a hotel and paid, weather delay--snow (Chicago) and they helped us find a hotel but we paid.

bobbie68
09-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi,

Thank you everyone for your information. It looks like I shouldn't have to worry but it never hurts to be prepared.:)

PoohsFan1
09-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I was just talking to DH about this last night because we are due to arrive on 9/9. According to him, we have nothing to worry about going there but if worse comes to worse, we'll just spend a couple more days in Disney if something does stir up. What can be so bad about that :goodvibes. In all seriousness, I am glad to hear that Disney will go above and beyond if something does happen, because we too would probably pay for more nights instead of staying in a cramped airport.

goopysolelady
09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
In 2008 we arrived at the Poly 6 hours before our scheduled time ... we'd taken an earlier flight out of Houston before Hurricane Ike was scheduled to hit the Galveston/Houston area. CM's were fantastic and actually found rooms for us that were already available. In speaking with a CM about the situation, she informed me they were already searching for a room for a Beaumont family. They were scheduled to leave the next day and fly into Houston. The airport was already closed ... and continued to be closed for 3 days due to damage. They had a difficult time locating a room on Disney property but finally had one available. The family was moved to a different resort and were able to stay until the Houston airport opened. It all depends on availability but the CM's will do everything in their power to help you. Good luck! :tink:

Marblies
09-03-2010, 06:36 PM
We also had travel plans changed due to Ike in 2008. Fortunately, we were already at WDW. I kept an eye on the storm and called the airlines a day in advance of our flight out and was informed that the hurricane's path was headed straight through our flight path home. All Jetblue flights to Austin were cancelled for the next two days. While horrible for everyone along the gulf, we got extra VAYCAY!!! :cool1: We travel value, so the resorts were filled to capacity. The CM at the front desk was able to move things around:wizard: to keep us in our same rooms (at same rate), but told me that alot of Floridians head for WDW during hurricanes for safety reasons and wait out the storm.