PDA

View Full Version : charging to the room

mastermind307
09-01-2010, 03:08 PM
We will be staying onsite (w/free dining) and I was thinking about just using our KTTW card to charge things instead of using cash. I've read that you can use the KTTW to charge your tips at restaurants back to the room. How does that work? The server we pay won't actually have access to our credit card, only our KTTW card, right? We never pay for our meals by credit card because my husband doesn't want the card to be out of his sight (too many stories about cc numbers being stolen). I told him we could just pay with our KTTW card and he was ok with that.

My second question is the amount we charge on the KTTW charged to our credit card right away, or do they do it all at check out? Is it possible to write a check to cover the amount instead of it being charged to our credit card? I'd rather just pay for it and not have to get a credit card bill after our vacation.

I just thought it would be simplier to use the KTTW instead of carrying around cash.

grimley1968
09-01-2010, 03:20 PM
We always use KTTW cards to charge to our room.

Upon check-in, the resort will need a credit card or debit card to swipe. That card will pay for KTTW purchases up to a certain amount, which differs among resort categories, and can be lowered at your discretion if you like.

When your KTTW card charges hit the limit set at check-in, it will no longer work until that charged amount is paid. You can do this over the phone or at the front desk, and the KTTW card then has a clean charging slate again, going up to that limit.

If you don't hit the limit, then the debit or credit card is charged for all your KTTW purchases on check-out day.

I personally leave my credit card, debit card, etc. in my room safe and don't touch them until check-out.

addiln
09-01-2010, 03:28 PM
we do the same thing. i general put just enough money on the card to last the amount of time i am going to be there. this way my cc and other items are in the room safe and i am not worried about them. i have also brought cash with me and each day i would only take what i thought we would need for the day. some days i would take only 20-40 dollars with me. this would cover the tip and anything else we may need. either way my cc was always locked in the safe. only had it there in case of emergency

AlyJoy716
09-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Instead of giving them a card, can you give them cash? I would rather give them X amount of dollars to be put on the KTTW card instead of debit/credit card.

NatashaDisneyCM
09-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Instead of giving them a card, can you give them cash? I would rather give them X amount of dollars to be put on the KTTW card instead of debit/credit card.

I have done this many times also.

grimley1968
09-01-2010, 03:45 PM

I suppose you could, but I personally wouldn't feel all that safe traveling with $1000-1500 in cash. I've never asked. I'd prefer to use a debit card instead of hard cash. It's a bit easier to protect.

There are ATMs in most resort lobbies, if you wished to do this. But the ATMs will probably charge you a fee, and you might end up using the same card you would have had swiped by the resort for the KTTW card anyway.

Really, in cases like this, you're best advised to use a credit card, and not a debit card. It's the easiest thing to use if you find yourself needing to dispute a charge later. Debit cards aren't good for disputations later, since the money is taken out of your account as soon as the transaction is completed.

But to each his own.

Goofy4
09-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Travelers Checks would work (to be applied to the KTTW card "balance" up front). I have doubts that they would let you write a personal check.

Well, then again, maybe they do take checks:

"I've never heard of every charge that you put on the KTTW card going automatically and individually to your credit card, either. We always use our KTTW card for purchases, food, etc at WDW and it's always charged as one charge at the end of the trip. "

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=37570397

AlyJoy716
09-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I suppose you could, but I personally wouldn't feel all that safe traveling with $1000-1500 in cash. I've never asked. I'd prefer to use a debit card instead of hard cash. It's a bit easier to protect.

There are ATMs in most resort lobbies, if you wished to do this. But the ATMs will probably charge you a fee, and you might end up using the same card you would have had swiped by the resort for the KTTW card anyway.

Really, in cases like this, you're best advised to use a credit card, and not a debit card. It's the easiest thing to use if you find yourself needing to dispute a charge later. Debit cards aren't good for disputations later, since the money is taken out of your account as soon as the transaction is completed.

But to each his own.

We won't be bringing that much cash. :rotfl: We have the dining plan, so most of our money will be spent on frivilous souveniers and any extra snacks not included on the DP. :thumbsup2

KJ Luvs Pluto
09-02-2010, 10:25 AM
I have written a check at the end of my stay to pay off the balance of what I charged on KTTW card. I gave them a CC so that I had the charging privileges, then I made sure to go down the night before (so the CC wouldn't be charged during express checkout) paid with the check and then anything that might be charged between then and checkout would be charged to the CC but it would be either a small amount or nothing.

plutolovr
09-02-2010, 10:57 AM
You can also use a Disney Gift Card. Just purchase beforehand and pay your balance with it. You can get a copy of your charges the night before check out and pay off your balance at that time.

lildamo
09-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Quick question about this -- does your Disney resort just check your credit card to make sure you have enough room on it up to X dollars, or do they put a hold on your card for that amount to ensure that you don't spend too much on other things? I'm trying to decide whether I want to have spending privileges on my KTTW card or not!!

Thanks!