PDA

View Full Version : Now it's MY turn to get sick

Obi-Wan Pinobi
08-26-2002, 08:30 PM
Okay, last week I started having this pain in my right side right below my ribs (Chas may be a thorn in everyone's side, but it wasn't him this time ;) ). I thought maybe it was a pulled muscle and didn't think much of it. Then I started feeling a pain in my back, directly behind the pain, and the pain wasn't going away, it was feeling progressively worse.

I finally told Lauri about it yesterday, and at the same time a rash developed. At first I thought maybe I had rubbed it there because I kept massaging the pain, thinking it was a pulled muscle. Lauri's mom said a relative had their gall bladder removed and it was in the same area as my pain. Just what I needed ... hospital time.

I saw the doctor this afternoon and got the diagnosis.

:earseek: SHINGLES!!! :earseek:

And, to make things even more interesting, guess who has a weakened immune system and never had chicken pox when she was a kid??

Anyone know where I can buy a "bubble boy" outfit??

Okay, my turn:

UGH!!!!!!

Wham Wham Wham

...Stomp Stomp Stomp

UGH!!!!!

GotAnyPins
08-26-2002, 08:47 PM
Well thats all you need..My mom had that and it was quite painful..I hope they gave you some nice strong meds.. I have a lot of bubble wrap, but I can't help w/ the bubble suit though.. I hope it won't interrupt your trip down here though, It would be nice if we could get you guys matching bubble suits..One Minnie and one Mickey , you would look soooo cute....

Hang in there, and feel better soon..

Donna

BeautyLLM
08-26-2002, 09:39 PM
Matt, I am sorry that you have shingles...I have heard that it is quite painful. I hope you feel better soon.

I think in the meantime though, and for purely safety reasons, you should send Lauri to WDW on the next flight out so that she doesn't get sick. :D

Feel better!!

Mickey527
08-26-2002, 09:46 PM
Matt,
Oh, I am so sorry for you. That is VERY painful.
I don't know how into alternative medicine but my boss had shingles a few weeks ago and was in such intense pain. She went to an accupunturist and she came home practically skipping. The pain was gone for her.
You can take steroids but they don't really help and the side effects are not worth it. And creams will help but not take away the pain.
But my son's made me an outfit out of bubble wrap and sing "the Bubble Bunch" from some dumb movie "Hey dude where's my car" so if you are looking for the suit still I can send it.
I love my children, too bad they don't feel the same about their mother. Peggie

MeanLaureen
08-26-2002, 09:48 PM
Fun part is... when Matthew told the doctor that I have never had chicken pox, he told us that we will have to avoid each other as much as possible until he is better - that includes sleeping in seperate rooms :earseek:

Of course I guess if I come down with chicken pox it won't matter :rolleyes:

Should be interesting if he hasn't gotten better by the time we leave for WDW. Looks like Jeff will have to camp out with Matthew :teeth: (just kidding Jeff.. stop yelling at me!)

atlnewf
08-26-2002, 09:55 PM
That'll be no fun for either of you. My grandmother had shingles on a regular basis and was quite "uncomfortable" when she did. (I'd say it was more than uncomfortable, but that was her word.) Here's hoping it doesn't last more than a month! Good luck with it you guys!

Ashley

Raulandpinboy
08-26-2002, 09:57 PM
Lauri quit messing with his meds... Okay I'll be boytoy #3 I like NASCAR okay:p

Hey Matt at least as a child you didnt get hit with a Van's car radio antenna I knew a kid that did and ended up with....

Drum roll please...... Van-aerial-disease

Get better my friend, and see you in 3 weeks we'll fix you right up.

buggin'
08-26-2002, 11:40 PM
Get better Matt...!!!

Ive never had chicken pox, not to mention shingles...can only imagine the irritation your going thru. Id be going :crazy:!!!

Get better!!! See ya'll in 3 weeks!!!

Buggin'
Amber

MeanLaureen
08-27-2002, 10:16 PM
Hmm.. I looked up chicken pox on the net and found out how much time it takes from exposure to the virus to when you actually break out with it..

let me figure this out.. 3 times 7, carry the one.....

oh fun.. if I have them I will break out WHILE I'M IN WDW!

There is a new game for the GPA2 - how many hidden Mickeys can you find on me :rolleyes:

suzanneb
08-28-2002, 09:28 AM
so sorry Matthew and Lauri...please please Lauri check with your doc about gamma globulin...it may be very very helpful..do it now....

3kids4me
08-28-2002, 09:39 AM
Feel better soon Matt!

Lauri, can they give you the vaccine, or does that take too long to kick in?

Suzanne, my daughter will be having gammaglobulin soon....they are dragging their feet (very expensive....I doubt an insurance company would pay for it to keep someone from getting chicken pox) and I really hope they do it soon....

suzanneb
08-28-2002, 09:43 AM
but I think the one time "shot" is less expensive that the large amount they need to give sweet Rachel...
Lauri- please check it out with your immune status...doesn't hurt to ask about it....

dispinfanzz
08-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Matt I am sorry to here you are under the weather. I hope you feel better soon.

TTFN
Susan

Dom13
08-28-2002, 10:14 PM
Matt your supposed to shingle the roof or the side of your house!! I know you have this Bob Vila thing but shingling your back may be taking things a little too far!! What's that wrong kind of shingles.........OH......

Hope you get bette soon. GPA2 would not be the same with out you.

MeanLaureen
08-29-2002, 08:30 AM
Suzanne.. what is the gamma globulin shot? Is it a vaccine? I can't take any vaccines at all due to the meds that I am on. If it is to boost my immune system, I can't take it either because they have to keep it suppressed for me to be able to deal with the AOSD without terrible flare ups (not that it seems to be working lately :( )

So I guess I would have to pick - chicken pox or full blown AOSD. Not a fun choice but I think I would have to go with chicken pox :( especially after some news I got last night. One of the members of my AOSD support group lost her battle tues. She was 3 months younger than me and a fighter. Scares the heck out of me.

suzanneb
08-29-2002, 11:35 AM
to hear such sad news...I know that is hard.

Gamma globulin is preformed antibody. It is neither vaccine nor an immune stimulant, per se, but your doc would know if it is permissible for you to take it.
Pixie dust and prayers for you...and also positive positive thoughts.