PDA

View Full Version : Shower the people you love with love (Day 1)

dandave
08-26-2002, 04:51 PM
Me, Angela (My sisters think I'm like Owl)
Gina, Little Sister #1 (Rabbit)
Lynn, Little Sister #2 (Eeyore)

Thursday morning I left home, headed for WDW to meet my little sisters for a girls only weekend. Aside from getting a little disoriented on the Turnpike, it was a great drive. I listened to my favorite James Taylor cd over and over and over. DH would have been pulling out what little hair he has left, so I was really savoring this. Bob Marley finished up this drive to the Wilderness Lodge, and I was feeling fine. Yah man!!
I arrived at the WL around 4:45 that evening. Gina and Lynn wouldn't be there until much later. I went ahead and self-parked, then carried my bags up to the entrance. Time I set foot in the lobby, I was impressed. This place is just beautiful! There was none of that pine scent that I have read about in the past, thank goodness. Instead it smelled like smokey BBQ. Yummmm! Aside from my morning coffee, I had made the drive on a combo of peppermint altoids and Mt. Dew. I was starving, and this smell made me even hungrier.
There was no wait for check-in, and I got an extremely nice CM. We talked about this being our "sisters" trip, and she was very helpful. She went ahead and sold me our e-night tickets, even though I hadn't yet purchased Gina and Lynn's hoppers. I told her that I was planning on getting them at MK when I traded in my voucher, after I got settled in. She said she'd take my word for it, and I was all set.
I was off to Woodsview room 5114. This is a smoking optional room, because I smoke on the balcony. It didn't smell smokey, and the hallway didn't smell overly offensive, either. I only passed one room where there was a definite smoke smell. The room was in pretty good shape. It had a small section of peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, and the paint was marred in one corner where someone had obviously scuffed it with a suitcase. There were some dirty spots on the bathroom and closet doors, but I cleaned these myself. No biggie. The view was very peaceful. Only a thin stand of pines separated my balcony from a direct view of the villas and the quiet pool. It felt private and cozy. I was happy.
I called DH to let him know that I had arrived safely, then called Gina and Lynn to check on their progress. They hadn't even made it to Savannah yet, so I had plenty of time to hit the MK. I only waited a couple of minutes for the boat. It went on to pick up at FW, then I was at MK. Wow! It felt really strange being there all by my lonesome. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was forgetting something. Oh yeah! I know what I'm forgetting (read missing)- my boys. Sigh!
Anyway, I headed for Guest Services where I exchanged my voucher for a Seasonal Pass and purchased 4 day PHs for Gina and Lynn. I knew, I just knew, that something wasn't right with my pass. I looked it over carefully, but it looked right. So, I entered the MK and headed straight for Splash Mountain. The line wasn't long, but I grabbed a FP. I was starving, so I backtracked to Pecos Bill's for a chicken wrap and an iced coffee. Delicious!
FP time! I love this ride, and this was going to be the only one I would treat myself to before my sisters arrived. I got in my log, and decided to sit smack dab in the middle of the seat, then.... Huh! This very large man and his grandson "Bill" got in with me! Now, I'm 99.9% sure that Grandpa and Bill were supposed to be waiting on the next log. They jammed themselves in, and I felt like it would take a crowbar to pry the three of us out of there. Gasp! I can't breath! I gave the attendant the most pleading puppy-dog eyes I could muster, but he gave me back a "whatcha gonna do" look.
I made the best of this, and it was kind of fun since this Bill and Grandpa had never before ridden SpM.
I only had to wait a few minutes for the boat to take me back to WL. I bought a mug and filled it with coffee. Mmmm! They have really good coffee here. I wanted to explore the lodge, but I decided to wait on my sisters so that we could explore together. They finally arrived around 10:30-10:45. They, too, were awestruck!
They absolutely loved it. We took their bags up to the room, where they almost immediately began to "Candy" up the place. Have you seen "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" with John Candy and Steve Martin? You remember what John Candy did to their motel room and the bathroom, in particular? That's what I mean by "Candy" up the place.... It didn't bother me, and we made a big joke about it, but.... Whew!
We walked down and got them a mug a piece, then we soon went to sleep in anticipation of a long next day!

FeeFeeWhite
08-26-2002, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all the work on the beginning of your wonderful trip.

erikthewise
08-27-2002, 01:21 PM
What was that? "Shower with the people you love"?
Just teasing! I'm a big JT fan too.

FeeFeeWhite
08-27-2002, 03:13 PM
What type of room did you have and where was it.

I am really looking forward to the great coffee!

Thanks for all of the good info!

dandave
08-27-2002, 04:44 PM
Hi erikthewise! Gotta love JT! I'm gonna have them play "Carolina in my mind" at my funeral. ;)

Hi FeeFee! We had room 5114, which was a woodsview room just across from the WLV. I wish I could get this same room in Oct, but all they had was Courtyard and Standard. I chose CY, since you cannot smoke on the balcony of any standard. It was a great location!

yepod
09-05-2002, 01:18 PM
Great start!

Thanks for the report!

melomouse
09-07-2002, 02:04 PM
I can so much relate to your feeling of"What's missing?" THE KIDS!!! LOL!

Nice though, that you could enjoy MK for awhile before the sisters arrived.

WL is terrific, isn't it? I, too, noted slight problems w peeling wallpaper, let it go. My biggest gripe - at WL and all of Disney is that I hated the coffee! It is instant. Didn't stop me from drinking it, though!

Look forward to reading more!

Maybe I'll see you there one day.....

dandave
09-07-2002, 07:00 PM
Hi yepod! Thanks for reading them! :)

Hi melomouse!! You didn't like the coffee? I thought it was very good. DH makes our coffee at home, so maybe that's why I liked the WL coffee so much...:o As long as he has it ready when I get up, I guess I can't complain too much, though.;)