PDA

View Full Version : Not Happy - Losing Gallery in Disney Stores

RRBB
08-25-2002, 10:13 PM
Anyone as upset as we are that they are removing Gallery from the Disney stores? :mad: DH has been a member of the Disney Collectors Society for several years and our house if full of sculptures, cells and other artwork. But we just found out this afternoon, after talking to the manager where we purchase most of our pieces, that come the end of September we won't be able to get these things at our local Disney store.

Sure, we've heard that there are a few stores in the area that carry some stuff, but we have gotten wonderful service at the DS. And we never seem to get out of the store without purchasing other things, like movies, toys or clothing for our nieces and nephews.

Without the Gallery there we really have no reason to go into the DS anymore because we can get all that other stuff elsewhere. We're just really disappointed that the decision was made to pull the Gallery out of all the Disney Stores.

SueEllen
08-25-2002, 10:43 PM
Robin,
I really sympathize with you! The Cast Members are equally sorry to see those things go. I would suggest you write a letter to Disney Store Corporate Headquarters and let them know exactly what you just said here.
I only hope that it doesn't keep you from going into the stores alltogether. Hopefully there will still be gifts and things that you will see there that are "must haves"
Sue Ellen

RRBB
08-26-2002, 12:10 AM
A few weeks ago the store manager told us the word was out that all but 4 stores were having the Gallery removed - NYC, Las Vegas, Mall of America, and one other - and five were on a list to be decided in 2003, including "our" store.

This manager tried to show the powers that be that the remaining five stores should be allowed to keep the Gallery. She collected letters from customers along with statistics to send up. When we saw her today she told us that it never made it past her regional manager. She was told it's a "dead issue". She also told us that moved up the decision, and not only are taking away the Gallery but it's happening at the end of September. Obviously whoever made the decision isn't interested in customer feedback. But we got an address and a phone number to try to get this decision reversed.

We won't buy artwork sight unseen. And a picture, either on the internet or even a glossy mailer, just doesn't show the detail you can see in person. I can't tell you how many times we went into the store and saw a piece in the showcase that we decided we just had to have.

As for going into the stores in the future, I don't really see much point. We can get almost all the other stuff they sell there elsewhere - like WalMart, Target, Sam's - and usually for less than in the DS.

It just seems to us that they are turning the Disney Stores into toy stores catering only to small children. Looking around today inside the store it was mostly clothing up to size 7, stuffed toys, dolls, movies, books, and halloween costumes. Where's the draw for older kids and adults without children???

I know that the manager is very upset about this, and I'm sure other CMs are too. It becomes a passion for them so when it's taken away, what's to keep them?

Luv2Roam
08-26-2002, 07:20 AM
It just seems to us that they are turning the Disney Stores into toy stores catering only to small children. Looking around today inside the store it was mostly clothing up to size 7, stuffed toys, dolls, movies, books, and halloween costumes.

Yep, that's it.
Maybe they will eventually pull an AOL/WB stores though. Which other than pins, what the hey.

taysalyn
08-26-2002, 01:15 PM
I was up at TDS on Saturday and they are just about cleaned out. They have adult sweatshirts where the WDCC figurines used to be. There were only about 3-4 cels on the wall and 3 out of the 9 window units held the WDCC stuff. I am a little disappointed. Although, I didn't get my WDCC there, it was still nice to know that if I needed to, I could. Also, there are still no new pins. Not sure what's going on.

doombuggy
08-27-2002, 11:28 AM
I have been told that the remaining Gallery stores will be:
5th Ave in NYC
The Forum at Caeser's Palace in Las Vegas
Studio Store in Burbank
And a store outside of Boston - Niyak, I think I am spelling it wrong.

Our DS/GS is transferring all it's art & WDCC on Sept. 3. I assume the same thing goes for the Lenox and other srt pieces that they carry.

you will still be able to redeem membership certificates at the DS. I don't think you can order at member kit thru them though.

I am in the same boat as everyone else, and I agree about seeing a piece before you buy it. I did that with "Viva La Hula."

The Disney Store is still a great place to shop!

Sorcerer
08-27-2002, 03:29 PM
New pins coming soon! I saw them at Disneyana...very cool! They said they would be released in late September, I believe on 9/21 barring any changes. This date was publicized at Disneyana even during public day, so I don't feel like it's confidential info.

Writing letters DOES work...just ask Mike and Judy Sue and the rest of the Friends of Figment. I rode the new Figment attraction this past weekend and wouldn't you know there's a HUGE "Welcome Friends of Figment" sign during the ride?!

Please write letters, make phone calls, do whatever you can. Ask your local TDS for the Guest Service line (I don't recall the number off the top of my head, but it starts with 818 - and yes, it IS toll-free). It does work, they will listen eventually. I was told at Disneyana that for each letter they receive they believe there are 20 people who feel the same way who didn't take the time to write.

Change takes time to implement, it's not immediate. Don't give up!

RRBB
08-27-2002, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure Gallery has quite the impact of Figment, but we're still gonna give it our best.

DH spent two days trying to get through to the number we were given with no luck. So this afternoon he decided to take a different approach. He called The Disney Club and asked for Michael Eisner's number. No, he didn't talk to M.E. but did, after a few other calls, get to the president of TDS office. He spent quite a while talking to one of his assistants and is supposed to get a call back in about 20 minutes to keep discussing this. I'd share the number here, but I have to wait for DH to get home to find out what it is. Maybe if enough people really tell them how they feel about the loss of local Gallery they will do something about it.

I don't know about y'all, but our house is filled - I mean from top to bottom, and in every room including the bathrooms - with Gallery pieces and artwork. We want to continue to get that Disney touch when we purchase more.

JudithM
08-27-2002, 10:23 PM
The other Gallery Store is in NATICK, MA on Route 9 on the right hand side as you drive west. Unfortunately I only got to drive by it the other day - no time to stop in :(. For anyone who knows the Boston area - we were on our way to Jordan's Furniture & were there until closing at 11 p.m. Crazy as this sounds - Jordan's reminded me of POFQ at WDW!

RRBB
08-28-2002, 08:17 AM
DH got a call back from Joe at guest relations for TDS and spent about an hour on the phone with him. The most important thing DH got out of the conversation was a fax number and address where to send complaints about removal of the Gallery items from all TDS. (Only the Flagship stores are keeping them.)

Like Sorcerer said, writing and calling can make a difference. If enough of us let them know just how unhappy we are with this change to TDS then maybe they'll reverse their decision, or at least make a better one. So, here are the numbers DH has gathered (so far):

phone:
1-800-689-0789, option 2
If you call you will most likely get voicemail. Joe told DH that they only check messages once a day and that response time is within 48-72 hours. (Seems to me they don't have enough people - right now just 2 - to handle the calls that come in if it takes that long.)

fax:
818-240-1979

mailing address:
Disney Store, Inc.
Attn: Guest Services
101 N. Brand Blvd., Suite 1000
Glendale, CA 91203

Dom13
08-28-2002, 08:51 AM
I walked in to the CT store that did the most collectables business in the state and often beat NYC's numbers and the collectables case was filled with Kids rolling back packs!!! Talk about heart breaking!! I too have bought several items after seeing them in person. There is very little in the way of collectables I would buy sight unseen. I will be writing. If you can write a letter and mail it. A phone call is good but a written letter has more impact.

SueEllen
08-28-2002, 10:26 AM
Please everyone, write a letter, fax it if you must. Let's get as many letters to them so they know how the collector's feel about this. Together we can make a difference.

Sue Ellen

NHMickey
08-28-2002, 10:29 AM
I love going to the Natick Store...

JudithM
08-28-2002, 12:21 PM
Thanks, Nat! Rub it in! We didn't have time - well the others with me didn't think we had time :(. We were in Arlington, went back to Waltham before heading to Billerica for dinner. So how long would a little detour to Natick have cost time wise :)?

RRBB
08-28-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by SueEllen
Please everyone, write a letter, fax it if you must. Let's get as many letters to them so they know how the collector's feel about this. Together we can make a difference.

Sue Ellen Yes! The more the better. Just look what happened when we all banded together about Figment. If we show them that the Gallery is wanted and needed, not just for the Flagship stores, then maybe they'll do something to rectify this mistake.

RRBB
08-29-2002, 02:01 PM
Geez, the story gets better. DH was told by Joe - the guy from TDS guest relations - that Gallery sales amounted to maybe 5% of total from TDS worldwide. Now get this, there are somewhere around 800 store worldwide but only 49 of them had Gallery. I don't know about you, but it seems to me that the numbers were really skewed by spreading the sales figures of Gallery items from 49 stores across all 800 stores. I wonder what those sales numbers would be on a store by store basis. Considerably more than 5% I'm sure.

:rolleyes: Hmmm, just something more to think about in this travesty.

doombuggy
08-29-2002, 04:35 PM
Certain stores were designated "Gallery Stores" and some carried the items, but did not have the designation. Case in point, the King of Prussia store is a Gallery Store, yet within a half hour's drive is the Springfield store, which is not a Gallery, but carries many of the same items (well after this weekend, neither will). The other stores in this area carry little or no art & collectables. This area has been phased out over the past three to four years. They put the stock where it will most likely sell - there are some TDS that don't do a large business in that area.

It is very unfortunate, and I will certainly send a letter stating my opinion. For now, I guess I will order my kit from the Society, and get any classics pieces when I go to WDW or out to Vegas (to visit uncle - ok gamble at little, & side trip to DL!)

RRBB
09-03-2002, 09:50 AM
I really don't like the idea that now we are going to have to order and have pieces shipped to us. You just never know how they're going to be handled in transit. And as much as I like traveling, I don't think going to one of the few stores that still have Gallery to pick out pieces will solve this problem for us since we'd have to ship them home anyway.

Case in point: DH requested a piece at our local store that they didn't have. So they searched it out and found that the store in New York had 12 of them on their shelves. (Mind you, this is before the decision was made to remove Gallery from our local store.) The management in New York refused to send the piece here. :mad: The manager at our store did finally find the piece in Las Vagas. I'm not exactly sure why, but instead of sending the piece to the store here it was shipped to us directly. Here's where I have a problem. No one was home at the time of delivery and wouldn't be when they tried again - right in the middle of the day. So DH went down to the UPS office, just barely making it before closing time, to pick it up. When he finally got the package, the outer box was damaged, a big rip/puncture. There were foam corners on the inner box, giving about 3 inches all around between inner and outer. Even with that protection the inner box was also damaged. :( Thankfully the piece itself was okay this time. (We've received broken pieces before that have been a hassle to return and get replaced.)

doombuggy
09-03-2002, 01:26 PM
The stores do not do inter-store transfers as you might think. So the Las Vegas store sending the package to your home is standard procedure. If you went into your local DS and ordered a cel, the item would be shipped to the store that placed the order for you, you would get a call, and go pick up the piece at the store. I beleive you pay for it at that time, not before. As a side note, when I purchased the "Spirit of America" cel, it was wrapped in bubble wrap like you would not beleive!

I can sympathize with you on the damage to your package. i collect dolls, and one time a doll I ordered came by UPS, who left it out in the rain on my doorstep. The outer box was soaked, and the inner one was too, but the doll and it's Mattel box were fine. I'm talking a $200 doll. I hate UPS!

RRBB
09-03-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by doombuggy
The stores do not do inter-store transfers as you might think. So the Las Vegas store sending the package to your home is standard procedure. If you went into your local DS and ordered a cel, the item would be shipped to the store that placed the order for you, you would get a call, and go pick up the piece at the store. I beleive you pay for it at that time, not before. As a side note, when I purchased the "Spirit of America" cel, it was wrapped in bubble wrap like you would not beleive!Up until a few weeks ago the local store was able to request pieces shipped to them from other stores (and vise versa) and then we would go in and purchase it. But from what we've been told TDS has just recently changed this policy and the stores can't do that anymore. What happened with this piece, we actually had to purchase from the Las Vegas store - give them our CC number and address and have it shipped directly to us. And I'm talking about a $450 item.

You just never know how these things will be treated by shipping companies (any of them, not just UPS) or in what condition they will arrive. It's especially troublesome when a numbered piece or one-of-a-kind item shows up on your doorstep in less than perfect condition. That is why we hate the idea that we cannot get Gallery pieces at our local DS anymore.:mad:

PatMcDuck
09-04-2002, 08:48 AM
I work at a Disneystore that used to be a large Gallery store. Just an FYI, they have added a 5th Gallery location, it is in Chicago, I do not know the exact location........

RRBB
09-04-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by PatMcDuck
I work at a Disneystore that used to be a large Gallery store. Just an FYI, they have added a 5th Gallery location, it is in Chicago, I do not know the exact location........ Then I'm really happy for the folks in Chicago. I just wish they'd give us back our Gallery store where I live. :rolleyes:

ohanafamily
09-10-2002, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the phone numbers, have you had any success changeing their minds?

EpcotKilterFan
09-10-2002, 09:29 PM
Well this weekend is it for my Gallery Store in Cleveland. They are packing everything up this weekend, the official last day is September 16. :(

There is ALOT of stuff in there. It is sad to see. Cleveland was one of the early Gallery stores. They may even board up over the door to the back gallery area... now that will make me cry.

Debbie

ohanafamily
09-11-2002, 09:48 AM
I am sad too, is there anything else I can do other than write them a letter?

RRBB
09-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by ohanafamily
Thanks for the phone numbers, have you had any success changeing their minds? Your welcome ohanafamily. Did you call them yet?

DH sent off his letter to Joe on Monday. A copy of it also went to the president of TDS, certified with return receipt of course. DH was quite happy to get the receipt back today indicating that his letter(s) made it there on Wednesday. Now we're just waiting to see what happens from here.

ohanafamily
09-16-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by RRBB
phone:
1-800-689-0789, option 2
If you call you will most likely get voicemail. Joe told DH that they only check messages once a day and that response time is within 48-72 hours. (Seems to me they don't have enough people - right now just 2 - to handle the calls that come in if it takes that long.)

fax:
818-240-1979

mailing address:
Disney Store, Inc.
Attn: Guest Services
101 N. Brand Blvd., Suite 1000
Glendale, CA 91203

Is this where I write to? and are there any key words or phrases I should use?

RRBB
09-21-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ohanafamily
Is this where I write to? and are there any key words or phrases I should use? Yes, ohanafamily, that is the address and phone number you should use to log your complaints.

DH and I went into our DS today (wearing black) because today's the day they're supposed to pack everything up to ship back. It's so sad to walk in there now because all you see are Halloween costumes and stuffed animals, with a few movies and other toys scattered around.

We're still waiting for any kind of response to the letters DH sent. He wrote a 3-page letter to Joe and copied it to several people, including the president of TDS. We know it was received on Sept. 11 - the beauty of return receipt - so hopefully we'll hear something soon. If not I'm sure DH will have a few more choice words for guest relations.

ohanafamily
09-30-2002, 09:00 AM
I have been lax & haven't called yet. :(

Did you ever get a response from your letters?:confused:

ohanafamily
10-03-2002, 10:13 AM
I just talked to TDS Online, and for those of you who are DVC, TDS online doesn't give the 10% for DVC like they do for DC (until next Dec)

Just an FYI, and with DC going away, just another cut-back...

:bounce: