PDA

View Full Version : How safe does Grand Cayman feel?

mousebrat
08-15-2010, 09:18 AM
DW would like to take DS2 shopping while we DS4 and I do the Atlantis submarine. For those who have been to Grand Cayman recently, does it feel safe for a lady with a child to walk around be herself in the area around the dock? As a point of reference, DW would not feel comfortable by herself in Nassau.

Thanks for any input!

MouseLovinMom
08-15-2010, 09:25 AM
We walked around last fall and felt perfectly comfortable. Grand Cayman has a very different atmosphere from Nassau. We are always careful when visiting any city and take the usual precautions to avoid being targeted by would be wrongdoers.

PrinceandPrincess
08-15-2010, 09:37 AM
I as a single mom walked around grand cayman with a 5 month old and a 3.5 year old and never felt uncomfortable for a minute. It was one of my favorite islands actually. We took a cab to see Hell which was kind of cool. There were a lot of great rock formations to look at.

Kim

disneyfaninaz
08-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Everything you'd want to see and do is right at the waterfront. We walked up and down the street and did not feel unsafe.

SplashMountainManiac
08-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Grand Cayman is probably one of the safest ports you will ever visit. Just exercise standard precautions and you will not have any problems.

nenner1
08-15-2010, 11:13 AM
I agree with everyone above. Loved shopping in GC. No pressure. Very safe, heavily populated with tourists. I walked alone in GC with my 2 kids, while my husband went back to the boat to pick up the baby. I did not feel uncomfortable at all! :)

giftcard
08-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I agree w/ the above posters. I've been to Grand Cayman twice and felt very safe both times. On my past cruise, in November, I spent the whole day along wandering around George Town on my own while my friends were off doing excursions.

mousebrat
08-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks so much for the quick feedback! We are feeling much better about Georgetown.

LindaBabe
08-15-2010, 03:00 PM
GC is VERY safe. My girlfriend and I took a jitney (bus) out to Hell and back - everybody else was Caymanian. They were sweet to us. :)

She'll probably want a stroller for the little one.

There's a wonderful toy store with a glass floor through which you can see an ancient walk in "well", as well as an interesting museum, and a tiny craft market. When you come off the ship, turn right on the main street. It's a few blocks up.