View Full Version : Heather & Andy's Honeymoon Recaps 9 Parasailing

08-23-2002, 08:28 PM
Friday, August 9, 2002

We were both excited this morning when we got up, because we were going parasailing! We got on the launch to the Contemporary, and arrived there around 10:00. The Sammy Duvall center was running a bit behind, so our 10:30 appointment was pushed back to 11:00. We were going to do it for 30 minutes, since it was included in our Deluxe Magic plan.
When we got on the boat, we got strapped in, and before we knew it, we were flying up into the air. It was so smooth! I was surprised – thought it would be a lot rougher. The only bad part was that we kept swaying from side to side, and I got pretty queasy. I had been having nausea problems every night, so this wasn’t unusual, but I did not want to be ill while we were strapped in up there!
It was so amazing, being up so high. It was really quiet up there, and the view was incredible. The men driving the boat kept Andy’s camera, so we have 1 or 2 pictures where you can see us just taking off, and it’s close enough to tell that it’s us up there. Really neat, and an amazing, unique experience. I was so glad that we did it on our wedding trip.
We finished around 11:20, and I wanted to take the monorail to the GF to pick up a gift for my niece from the gift shop there (Lindsay had seen a Pooh jumper that she thought was so cute), but the monorail was broken again, so instead we hung around the Contemporary until our lunch priority seatings – 12:00 at Concourse Steakhouse. I had a shellfish bisque (really yummy, I ate so quickly), filet mignon (very tender, but kind of much for me) & smashed potatoes, and I drank a non-alcoholic pina colada. Andy had 5 onion soup that he said was good, and a mushroom & red pepper pasta – nice & light – with shrimp added. His pasta wasn’t very flavorful, and Andy said that it was probably his least favorite meal at WDW. Andy had a banana chocolata to drink, and for dessert, we split a strawberry shortcake. We were stuffed!
After lunch, we left to meet Randy at 2:00 in the WL lobby to get our proofs. He sat down with us and looked at them, and we pointed out the ones that we liked, and he showed us his favorites. He did an incredible job! I’m so glad that we made the decision to go with him for our photographer.
Then we went upstairs to leave our proof book in the room, then went to the Magic Kingdom. A parade was going on, so we rode Alien Encounter and only had to wait about 20 minutes. After the parade, we went to Adventureland & rode Aladdin’s Magic Carpets, after only about 15 minute ride.
We walked right onto the Pirates of the Caribbean, and the CM there, George, gave us our own boat, again, the wedding ears were working some Disney magic.
We had great luck with rides that day. We went to the Tiki Room & walked right on, since a show was just starting.
We went to the Jungle Cruise and the CM there saw us about to get a fastpass. She jjust gave us fastpasses for right then, so we walked onto the boat. It was fun; the driver kept telling corny jokes, but we all had a good time.
We then went over to try to ride Big Thunder Railroad, but line wait was 55 minutes, so we decided to come back Sunday with a fastpass.
On our walk to the front of the park, a show was going on at the castle, and so we stopped to watch it. We had a good spot viewing from the side, and a fence to lean on, which was nice. When the princesses came out, and they were playing, “So this is love,” I got tears in my eyes – it was so romantic. Andy videotaped the show, so we have it all to watch here.
Then went to the Hall of Presidents, and I hated it – thought it was sheer propaganda against the South. Hehehe, being a Southern girl, I can’t stand the “Slavery is all the South’s fault” philosophy – I kept muttering at the screen, “But who was selling the slaves to the Southerners?” or “Oh, yeah, Thomas Jefferson was big on human rights. Why not ask his slaves how humane he was.”
Then we left and went straight to Downtown Disney. We looked at Art of Disney & bought a blue castle photo album from 2R’s. We had it personalized at the Christmas shop with our names & wedding date, for pickup Monday, our last day.
We went to dinner at Fulton’s, and as we checked in, they seated everyone else who checked in with us, and even people who came in after us. It wasn’t a long wait – we were standing for maybe 5 minutes, but we were kind of irked that these people kept coming in after us and getting seated right away. I didn’t know what was going on, then they came to seat us, and we saw what caused the delay. There was a Happy Honeymoon card at our table – so nice! We got a window seat, too, in the same area they always seat us.
I started w/ fried calamari, and didn’t like the marinara dipping sauce, so used Andy’s cocktail sauce & the tartar sauce. Andy had an oyster sampler platter – 3 different kinds of oysters. They were very good, high quality, and he enjoyed tasting the different types. Andy had longevity tea to drink, and I had a Captain’s Cooler – pina colada mix & strawberry daquiri mix w/ whipped cream on top. We split an order of king crab claws & an order of Australian Lobster tails, and we switched halfway through. Andy preferred the king crab claws, but I loved them both. We always order these two things, and we always love them. For dessert, Andy had a double chocolate cake w/ white espresso & I had a key lime pie. The pie was tart but not very light – I had wanted something like sorbet, but there was nothing like this on the menu.
After we left, we bought the Pooh dress for my niece Emma at World of Disney and then came back to the hotel and got some cordials from the concierge lounge (Godiva for me, Amaretto for Andy). We sat on our balcony & watched the Magic Kingdom fireworks. It was a great view, perfect, very quiet, peaceful, and secluded. The weather was great, clear skies, nice cool breeze. For the first time, we found ourselves really appreciating the Wilderness Lodge’s charm. Up until then, we had been comparing it to the Grand Floridian, to its detriment, but this was something that we could never have done at the Grand Floridian. The view was beautiful, and the privacy and quiet were amazing.
After the fireworks were over, we sat out a little bit longer, then came back in and enjoyed a nice long soak in the Jacuzzi tub.

08-24-2002, 07:31 AM
Was the view good on your parasailing trip? What kinds of things could you see?

08-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Hi! The view was AMAZING! We could see the Contemporary, the Castle, Space Mountain, the big Spaceship Earth ball, the Swan/Dolphin, the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Discovery Island, most of Bay Lake, and obviously lots of boats way below :)
I was just looking through our photos, and that's everything that we saw that was captured on film, I believe.
It was really an incredible view, and such a cool feeling, even though the rocking was making me airsick :)
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Heather W

08-25-2002, 08:39 AM
My goodness!! That was some view! Thanks for answering. :)

08-25-2002, 08:40 PM
Nice view, parasailing!

Thanks for another great post!