PDA

View Full Version : Refueling rental cars?

CaliforniaDreaming
08-23-2002, 02:17 PM
I was wondering about refueling rental cars. We always purchase the gas option, but this time we'll be there for a short amount of time. We'll have to leave the BC around 6AM or so to go to the airport. Can I refuel at the BoardWalk Exxon and drive to the airport, and it still be on full? Will the company (DOLLAR) ask for the receipt for the gas? If I show them the receipt for the BW Exxon, will they charge me more?

Would it be better to use Budget or L&M in this "fuel case"? I can get similar rates from both of those.

Thanks.

Lewisc
08-23-2002, 02:32 PM
I overfill the tank (top it off after the shut off). I always fill up near Disney (Exxon), the gauge will still show as full and you won't have a problem. Person before you probably did the same thing.

DebbieB
08-23-2002, 08:10 PM
I always use National and fill-up at the BW or MK Exxon before leaving for the airport. Never have been asked for a receipt or charged for gas. It's always still above full at the airport. Even if Dollar tries to charge you for a gallon or two, it can't be as much as the pre-paid full tank.

hercamore
08-23-2002, 08:51 PM
I have used National and Dollar and always fill up at the little 7-ll at the corner of 535 and 536 just before 536 turns into the 4l7 hwy.
The gas prices are cheaper there than at Disney.

Never been asked for a recipt at either places and agencies have always considered the tank full.

Herc.

CaliforniaDreaming
08-23-2002, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. :) I wanted to fill up at the BW Exxon, so then the next morning we just leave the BC and go straight to the airport (since we need to leave so early).

If they charge me for a gallon or two of gas I guess that wouldn't be too bad (since, it would still end up cheaper than the entire tank of pre-paid gas).

:)

DVC-Don
08-24-2002, 08:11 AM
I get off rte 417 at exit 11 and refill there. It is only about 4 or 5 miles from MCO.

LucyStorm
08-24-2002, 09:03 AM
I also filled up at the 7-11 at 535 and 536, and I WAS asked for my receipt. I expected a problem as Dollar was very clear that you have to fill up within 10 miles of the airport, but the check in person was very nice, looked at the full fuel guage (yes, I overfilled too) and let me go on my merry way. They did keep my fuel receipt also.

CaliforniaDreaming
08-24-2002, 12:19 PM
Does anyone know what they'd charge me for a gallon of gas since I refuse to stop somewhere near the airport to refuel? I know it sounds silly, but I am not pumping gas into a rental car at 6:15AM! ;)

Thanks. :)

mickey4ver
08-24-2002, 12:24 PM
I always return with full tank, but I thought that if you brought it back NOT full, that you got charged for the whole tank, and not just a couple gallons.

That happened to us once, brought it back 1/4 tank down, and was charged for a full tanks worth...mighty pricey and lesson learned.

ncligs
08-24-2002, 12:42 PM
CaliforniaDreaming,

Believe it or not, that just happend to us 3 weeks ago when we flew to Norfolk,Va on our vacation to Nags Head,NC. We filled up our tank half way to airport (40 miles). We didn't feel like stopping again close to Norfolk, and our tank showed 90% full. So we had a National rental, (Emarald Aisle member), and we got out of our car, the National employee checked the gas gauge and charged us for 2 gallons at $4 a gallon($8 total). So we learned our lesson the hard way.;)

lawgs
08-24-2002, 11:05 PM
lucystorm....

what car rental company in particular asked you for a gas receipt....

we have never been asked to show one at mco before....but we use national most of the time...

if the gauge reads full ....it should not matter where you fuel up....

seashoreCM
08-24-2002, 11:21 PM
What rental company charged you for a whole tankful when you brought it back 3/4 full? What did the rental contract say about gas?

Occasionally I picked up cars and they were shortweighted on gas. If I get the car 15/16 full I expect them to round it down to 7/8 (most rental companies talk about tankfuls in eighths) full going out becuase they wil certainly consider it onloy 7/8 full when it comes back in with the same amount of gas, 15/16 full.

Also, for most cars, full is above the F; so a wee bit below F needs to be considered 7/8.

And there are some cars where the gauge doesn't start to drop until a gallon or more has been used, so the rental company wants that receipt to prove that the car is really full. (A savvy renter can beat this but I won;t discuss it here.)

Buying the whole tankful up front may be convenient but it is not the least expensive choice, and it is more of a ripoff if the car is shortweighted going out.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

mickey4ver
08-25-2002, 11:00 PM
I think it was Dollar....didn't really get over upset about it, it was my fault for not stopping to fill.

Last time, they said if we paid for a full tank at time of pickup, we could drop it off almost empty if we wanted. This was in another Florida location.