PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat on the Plane........

1tufgt
08-05-2010, 06:43 AM
What are the rules on which seat the car seat can be placed in on a plane? Is the window seat where the car seat should be placed when boarding?

sam_gordon
08-05-2010, 07:05 AM
I don't know if there's a seat where the car seat SHOULD be placed. I'm 99% sure it can't be in an exit row. When we've brought car seats on the plane, they go in the window seat just so the kids can see outside.

1tufgt
08-05-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't know if there's a seat where the car seat SHOULD be placed. I'm 99% sure it can't be in an exit row. When we've brought car seats on the plane, they go in the window seat just so the kids can see outside.

Ok, I remember reading about the exit row but wasn't sure if there was any rules on where the car seat had to be placed in a row.

Wiloughby1
08-05-2010, 07:18 AM
It MUST be in a window seat to not obstruct passengers during evacuation.

1tufgt
08-05-2010, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the confirmation.

gifchick
08-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Most airlines will store them for you while you travel so that could be an option if you like :)

And yes you and the kidos can't be at the exit row, the people there have to be able to open the doors if needed.

crashbb
08-05-2010, 07:56 AM

Not entirely true.

It is true on a single aisle plane. However, on a wide body plane (i.e. plane with two aisle), the car seat can be in the middle of the centre section since it is not impeding anyone's access to an aisle.

Admittedly, on a flight with my nephew the airline didn't seem to car where the car seat was put at all. It was a 2x2 plane (one aisle) and they allowed the car seat to be in an aisle seat (not that we put him there).

Tara
08-05-2010, 08:11 AM
You can't be in the rows directly in front of or behind the exit row, either.

lyonking3
08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Window Seat, no exit rows.

r&kmommy
08-05-2010, 08:33 AM
You can't be in the rows directly in front of or behind the exit row, either.

/\ this.

Window seat (if one aisle plane, if two aisle plane seat can be in any seat in the middle 3-seat section)
No exit row
No row behind or in front of exit row

For your own comfort you may want to avoid sitting over the wings, as those seats are VERY loud and your kids may talk even louder to make themselves heard. <----- speaks from experience :scared1:

We are leaving Saturday and I am going to try and put dd's seat in the middle so that ds can sit in the window. I don't think this will be a problem, but if they ask me to move it over I will... he's small enough that he can get by the car seat to get out of his seat. :)

NotUrsula
08-05-2010, 08:39 AM
We are leaving Saturday and I am going to try and put dd's seat in the middle so that ds can sit in the window. I don't think this will be a problem, but if they ask me to move it over I will... he's small enough that he can get by the car seat to get out of his seat.

IME, the only US carrier that might allow you to do this is Delta. All of the others tend to interpret the "may not block egress" rule very strictly to mean window-position-only if you are not on a widebody.

r&kmommy
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
IME, the only US carrier that might allow you to do this is Delta. All of the others tend to interpret the "may not block egress" rule very strictly to mean window-position-only if you are not on a widebody.

Hmmm... we're on SW. Maybe I'll ask the FA before I install. I'll have to talk to her anyway to get a seatbelt extender. :)

1tufgt
08-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Hmmm... we're on SW. Maybe I'll ask the FA before I install. I'll have to talk to her anyway to get a seatbelt extender. :)

Do you need seat belt extenders to buckle a car seat into the seat?

r&kmommy
08-05-2010, 10:00 AM

I ask for one just in case. One time I needed it, another time I didn't. The time I did I think it was because I was stressing becuase we were almost late for the flight and I was hurrying to get it buckled in and wasn't doing it right. LOL! But I'd rather ask for one right away than have to track down a FA to get one. As a rule, you should be able to just use the seatbelt.

:)

disneyfaninaz
08-05-2010, 10:00 AM

I have only flown SWA with a car seat and they will tell you specifically to put the car seat in the window seat.

No, you do not need an extender for a car seat, the existing belt works just fine.

Make sure that you car seats are FAA approved. They will have a label specifying so.

1tufgt
08-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I have only flown SWA with a car seat and they will tell you specifically to put the car seat in the window seat.

No, you do not need an extender for a car seat, the existing belt works just fine.

Make sure that you car seats are FAA approved. They will have a label specifying so.
That's good to know, we will be flying SWA too.

Looks like our Safety 1st Air is FAA approved.

disneyfaninaz
08-05-2010, 10:08 AM
That's good to know, we will be flying SWA too.

Looks like our Safety 1st Air is FAA approved.

Looks like you are all set. Enjoy your flight!

NotUrsula
08-05-2010, 01:18 PM
The only time that your really HAVE to have an extender for a carseat is if you have the sort of carseat where the seatbelt routes on top of the shell and beneath the seat's upholstery.

Because airline seatbelts are designed to latch in the center rather than on the side, without an extender the buckle will end up causing an uncomfortable lump in that situation.

One thing you should be sure to do when buckling in the seat is to flip the seatbelt buckle 1/2 turn before latching it. This keeps the pull-latch facing AWAY from the seat shell rather than toward it. If you don't do this you can have real difficulty getting the seat removed when you are ready to leave the plane. (And if that happens, KNEEL in it. Your weight should give the belt enough slack to allow you to squeeze your fingers in to release the latch.)

1tufgt
08-05-2010, 01:21 PM
The only time that your really HAVE to have an extender for a carseat is if you have the sort of carseat where the seatbelt routes on top of the shell and beneath the seat's upholstery.

Because airline seatbelts are designed to latch in the center rather than on the side, without an extender the buckle will end up causing an uncomfortable lump in that situation.

One thing you should be sure to do when buckling in the seat is to flip the seatbelt buckle 1/2 turn before latching it. This keeps the pull-latch facing AWAY from the seat shell rather than toward it. If you don't do this you can have real difficulty getting the seat removed when you are ready to leave the plane. (And if that happens, KNEEL in it. Your weight should give the belt enough slack to allow you to squeeze your fingers in to release the latch.)

Hmmmmmmm, I'll have to look at it again and see how it tether's down but it might be how you describe it.

What do you mean by flip the seat buckle half turn???

kaytieeldr
08-05-2010, 03:18 PM
/\ this.

Window seat (if one aisle plane, if two aisle plane seat can be in any seat in the middle 3-seat section)
No exit row
No row behind or in front of exit row

For your own comfort you may want to avoid sitting over the wings, as those seats are VERY loud and your kids may talk even louder to make themselves heard. <----- speaks from experience :scared1:

We are leaving Saturday and I am going to try and put dd's seat in the middle so that ds can sit in the window. I don't think this will be a problem, but if they ask me to move it over I will... he's small enough that he can get by the car seat to get out of his seat. :)
Please don't try to skirt even more rules. You first acknowledge that the car seat must be in the window seat, then state that you're going to attempt to ignore this and place the carseat in the middle and your son in the window seat. This, along with the TSA's liquid restrictions for example, aren't among the infamous 'rules which were meant to be broken'.

kaytieeldr
08-05-2010, 03:24 PM
What do you mean by flip the seat buckle half turn??? Twist the belt 180º so the latch that you lift to release the belt is face down instead of face up, before you hook the two ends together. I THINK is what she means. It works because the tongue part is flat; try it with your car's seat belt - it will still release.

1tufgt
08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Twist the belt 180º so the latch that you lift to release the belt is face down instead of face up, before you hook the two ends together. I THINK is what she means. It works because the tongue part is flat; try it with your car's seat belt - it will still release.

I would think it would be harder to undo since the release latch would be up against the car seat.

Tara
08-05-2010, 09:06 PM
I would think it would be harder to undo since the release latch would be up against the car seat.

Kaytieeldr is correct - if you keep the seat belt buckle facing up as normal, then tighten the belt, as it gets tighter it will get closer to the back side of the car seat. When you need to unbuckle it, you won't have enough clearance between the buckle and the car seat back to actually lift the buckle. If you flip the buckle over, this won't happen as there will be a natural space behind the car seat because the lower part of the plane seat back curves away slightly. It's hard to explain, but if you've ever made the mistake of not flipping the belt and then tightened it a lot, you'd understand PERFECTLY.

1tufgt
08-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Kaytieeldr is correct - if you keep the seat belt buckle facing up as normal, then tighten the belt, as it gets tighter it will get closer to the back side of the car seat. When you need to unbuckle it, you won't have enough clearance between the buckle and the car seat back to actually lift the buckle. If you flip the buckle over, this won't happen as there will be a natural space behind the car seat because the lower part of the plane seat back curves away slightly. It's hard to explain, but if you've ever made the mistake of not flipping the belt and then tightened it a lot, you'd understand PERFECTLY.

Ok, I'm trying to understand your explanation. Normally the latch you would lift up away from your body to undo the seat belt, so wouldn't it flipping it when you pull it through the car seat cause you not to be able to lift it due to the release latch will be up against the back of the car seat?

Tara
08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Ok, I'm trying to understand your explanation. Normally the latch you would lift up away from your body to undo the seat belt, so wouldn't it flipping it when you pull it through the car seat cause you not to be able to lift it due to the release latch will be up against the back of the car seat?

No, because you are threading the belt through the belt guides on the back of the car seat. There's no body UNDER the seat belt - there's a car seat OVER the seat belt. If you do not turn the belt buckle upside down, its top will still be facing up away from the plane seat, which by definition means it will be facing the back of the car seat. Short of having pictures (which I don't have), I don't know how else to explain it. Here's a website that says the same basic thing: http://www.flyingrugrats.com/on_the_plane/op_topic3.htm

1tufgt
08-06-2010, 06:28 AM
No, because you are threading the belt through the belt guides on the back of the car seat. There's no body UNDER the seat belt - there's a car seat OVER the seat belt. If you do not turn the belt buckle upside down, its top will still be facing up away from the plane seat, which by definition means it will be facing the back of the car seat. Short of having pictures (which I don't have), I don't know how else to explain it. Here's a website that says the same basic thing: http://www.flyingrugrats.com/on_the_plane/op_topic3.htm

Ok, I see what your saying now. I'll have to look at how ours is set up because I've been using the provided tethers that come with the seat but I do get what your saying.

Thanks for the suggestion because I wouldn't of ever thought of this.

jagafen
08-06-2010, 06:57 AM

I'd call the airline directly and ask. DS only flew once when he was of a carseat in the plane age, and on both legs of that flight, we put him in the center seat with not a word from any of the flight staff....it's best to go directly to the source.

Tara
08-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Ok, I see what your saying now. I'll have to look at how ours is set up because I've been using the provided tethers that come with the seat but I do get what your saying.

Thanks for the suggestion because I wouldn't of ever thought of this.

You are welcome - I learned it the hard way! ;)

1tufgt
08-06-2010, 11:21 AM
You are welcome - I learned it the hard way! ;)

Sounds like it was fun trying to get it off. LOL

MomtoEmIs&Ow
08-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Airtran- It must be placed in the window seat :headache:

N365PA
08-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Make sure the car-seat actually says on it "FAA Approved" with the appropriate PMA # (It'll have a tag on the seat basically saying FAA approved). For some reason people take tags off of stuff and without the tag, its not approved anymore. So make sure it says it on the seat itself :)

Clint
Former Flight Attendant (now Pilot)

tjmw2727
08-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Make sure the car-seat actually says on it "FAA Approved" with the appropriate PMA # (It'll have a tag on the seat basically saying FAA approved). For some reason people take tags off of stuff and without the tag, its not approved anymore. So make sure it says it on the seat itself :)

Clint
Former Flight Attendant (now Pilot)

Just to clarify the sticker will not have the phrase "FAA Aproved" on it at all.

The sticker wording will be:
“This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft.” It is often in red caps.

Carseats with that sticker are approved by the FAA for use on aircraft.

Its confusing!

sam_gordon
08-08-2010, 10:58 AM
According to Delta's website, car seats can not be in an exit row or one row in either direction. They can not be in an aisle seat. As far as window vs. "middle", it CAN be put in the middle as long as a member of the same travelling party is in the window seat.

leanne11
08-08-2010, 05:51 PM
subscibing...will nd info in the future...my sil just came back and SW made her wake up her ds3 1 hour into the flight to move him... she was furious...they didnt say any rules for her son and then he was soooo tired and stinky it was a llooooong flight home..after that...

1tufgt
08-08-2010, 05:59 PM
subscibing...will nd info in the future...my sil just came back and SW made her wake up her ds3 1 hour into the flight to move him... she was furious...they didnt say any rules for her son and then he was soooo tired and stinky it was a llooooong flight home..after that...

So was he in the middle seat or....?

lost*in*cyberspace
08-08-2010, 07:23 PM
According to Delta's website, car seats can not be in an exit row or one row in either direction.

That would make sense, since children cannot sit in an exit row, period.

.my sil just came back and SW made her wake up her ds3 1 hour into the flight to move him... she was furious.

That is unfortunate, but it was her responsibility to know and follow the rules.

gmeh1
08-08-2010, 07:56 PM

I went to SWA site and this is what I found re: car seats.

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/infants.html

1tufgt
08-08-2010, 08:55 PM
I went to SWA site and this is what I found re: car seats.

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/infants.html

Copied to avoid having to click the link.

How should a CRD be used?

Once onboard the aircraft, your CRD must be placed in a seat that is not an emergency exit seat. It is best to place the CRD in a window seat so it will not block access to the aircraft aisle. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for securing the CRD to the seat, fastening the aircraft seatbelt around the CRD as tightly as possible.

SamSam
08-08-2010, 10:17 PM
So what if you have twins? Window seat & middle?...then parent in the aisle seat?

mouseaddictoldschool
08-09-2010, 01:45 PM
One helpful hint I can offer came from Delta Airlines customer service about 12-13 years ago regarding the carseat. Buy a small portable luggage cart and fasten the carseat to it. You now have a pull-behind stroller to get you through the airport! Then, when you get on the plane, you can just lift the entire carseat/cart up onto the seat(usually) and fasten it in. When you arrive at MCO(best airport in the world), you un-fasten and hit the road with the little one in tow!

1tufgt
08-09-2010, 02:07 PM
One helpful hint I can offer came from Delta Airlines customer service about 12-13 years ago regarding the carseat. Buy a small portable luggage cart and fasten the carseat to it. You now have a pull-behind stroller to get you through the airport! Then, when you get on the plane, you can just lift the entire carseat/cart up onto the seat(usually) and fasten it in. When you arrive at MCO(best airport in the world), you un-fasten and hit the road with the little one in tow!

Well I bought a harness that I will use that attaches to rolling carry on luggage so I don't have to carry it through out the airport. Heard great reviews from it.