PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville FL. traffic

crzy4dsny
08-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Driving from Long Island to Kingsland GA, which is about 3 miles out of Florida. We will be leaving Kingsland for Disney around 7am on a Tuesday morning. We have done this several times before but always on a Sunday. What kind of traffic could I expect on a weekday morning around Jackonsville?

vicki_c
08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
You will encounter heavy traffic during J-ville rush hour. Best to get there before or after the traditional rush hour times or find a way to go that bypasses J-ville traffic around the 95 interchanges (I don't know what way that might be, we just try to avoid rush hour).

sharadoc
08-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Use 295 around Jacksonville. It totally avoids all of the mess of the city, maybe adds 15 minutes onto your trip. Also use SR417 instead of I-4 through Orlando (about $7.00 in tolls). We did this in June and it made the trip SO MUCH BETTER. The only thing you miss is the inevitable slowdowns (and lots of billboards for Disney on I-4).

1. Take exit number 362B on your RIGHT to get on I295 S. Drive for
34.4 miles.
2. Take exit number 61A on your RIGHT to get on I95 S towards
DAYTONA BCH. Drive for 76.5 miles.
3. Take exit number 260B on your RIGHT to get on I4 W towards
ORLANDO. Drive for 30.4 miles.
4. Take exit number 101AB on your RIGHT to get on SR417 S
towards CR46A / SR417TOLL / INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS / SANFORD.
5. Take exit 6 for International Dr/FL -536 toward FL-535/ I-4 E; go 0.7
6. Slight left at World Center Dr go 0.6
7. Take the 1st right onto S Apopka Vineland Rd go 2.1 mi
8. Turn left at Palm Pkwy; go 62 ft
9. Continue onto County Rd 535/State Rd 535/Winter Garden Vineland Rd
10. Turn left on Buena Vista Drive for Downtown Disney Entrance

gunnert
08-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Take the East route toward the beaches on 9 much easier to drive a little shorter than 295 an doesn't have the traffic the city has, and 295 also. Nice roads..

KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
08-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Take the East route toward the beaches on 9 much easier to drive a little shorter than 295 an doesn't have the traffic the city has, and 295 also. Nice roads..

I agree. The eastern beltway around Jacksonville is shorter and also comes with a spectacular suspension bridge to drive over. It's still labeled as SR 9A although in the future it too will carry the I-295 sign.

BobK/Orlando

crzy4dsny
08-04-2010, 07:57 PM
We have changed our plans. Now we are going to drive straight thru to Disney with out stopping in Kingsland. I'm thinking I will be in the Jacksonville area any where between 5 and 6:30 pm. I guess I could expect the same traffic this time of day as in the morning? The eastern beltway is the better option?

KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
08-04-2010, 08:08 PM
We have changed our plans. Now we are going to drive straight thru to Disney with out stopping in Kingsland. I'm thinking I will be in the Jacksonville area any where between 5 and 6:30 pm. I guess I could expect the same traffic this time of day as in the morning? The eastern beltway is the better option?

Yes, it completely bypasses downtown and puts you back on I-95 south of the city. You may still have some heavy traffic up to the first 3 exits after you return to I-95 but after that it should open up. I-95 is three lanes each way to I-4 in Daytona Beach. Avoid the far right lane until you pass the Ponte Vedre Beach exit where backed up exit traffic stops out on the interstate!

BobK/Orlando