PDA

View Full Version : Delta vent

dpratt68
08-01-2010, 08:37 AM
I have been watching airfare for months for February. I had missed a few good prices thinking Jet Blue was going to release some amazing rates. they didn't. I watch for a couple more weeks & prices kept going up and up. Finally a flight came down to $145 but arriving @11pm. I figure I better grab it. Fast forward to today. I go on kayak just to assure myself and find better flights on same airline (Delta) $104-AAAHH!!! In order to change my tix it will cost $180/ticket ($150 Delta and $30 Orbitz) It is just so infuriating!!

andymattmom
08-01-2010, 09:03 AM
I have been watching airfare for months for February. I had missed a few good prices thinking Jet Blue was going to release some amazing rates. they didn't. I watch for a couple more weeks & prices kept going up and up. Finally a flight came down to $145 but arriving @11pm. I figure I better grab it. Fast forward to today. I go on kayak just to assure myself and find better flights on same airline (Delta) $104-AAAHH!!! In order to change my tix it will cost $180/ticket ($150 Delta and $30 Orbitz) It is just so infuriating!!

It happens ALL the time all on EVERY airline so don't blame Delta. I opened and thought it was about a bad flight experience. It is a fact that we gamble when we purchase airline tickets ON ANY AIRLINE. Just buy when you are happy with the price and quit looking unless it is JetBlue or SW who give credit. ANY OTHER AIRLINE (not just DELTA) charges a change fee and then gives any (IF ANY) remaining amount in credit.

Be happy with fare you got and don't look anymore. Happens all the time...not fun but don't get mad at Delta. Just be glad you didn't wait and have the price go UP!

sjsjbrook
08-01-2010, 09:03 AM
note to self don't look at airline prices after your booked your own, it can only lead to heartache.;)

dpratt68
08-01-2010, 09:14 AM
It happens ALL the time all on EVERY airline so don't blame Delta. I opened and thought it was about a bad flight experience. It is a fact that we gamble when we purchase airline tickets ON ANY AIRLINE. Just buy when you are happy with the price and quit looking unless it is JetBlue or SW who give credit. ANY OTHER AIRLINE (not just DELTA) charges a change fee and then gives any (IF ANY) remaining amount in credit.

Be happy with fare you got and don't look anymore. Happens all the time...not fun but don't get mad at Delta. Just be glad you didn't wait and have the price go UP!

Sorry I was typing so fast I forgot to add that I didn't know they had the no risk 24hr cancellation policy. I had called Delta the next day and inquired about yet another flight and was never told of this policy. The agent just kept saying you would need to pay $xxx. Update I just called Delta and the agent never documented our call so there was nothing she could do. The agent today said had he documented she might have been able to cancel and let me rebook.
-lesson learned stop looking!

robinb
08-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Bummer :(. I thought it was going to be a rant on how Delta changed your flight times.

I always have a feel for what makes a "good price" from my local airports and I have a "buy price" in mind. Once I see that price I buy and don't look back. Sorry you looked :(.

andymattmom
08-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Sorry I was typing so fast I forgot to add that I didn't know they had the no risk 24hr cancellation policy. I had called Delta the next day and inquired about yet another flight and was never told of this policy. The agent just kept saying you would need to pay $xxx. Update I just called Delta and the agent never documented our call so there was nothing she could do. The agent today said had he documented she might have been able to cancel and let me rebook.
-lesson learned stop looking!

That stinks when you get a bad CSR! Hope you have fun on the trip! :)

Brian Noble
08-01-2010, 09:22 AM
I didn't know they had the no risk 24hr cancellation policy.
Northwest did pre-merger, but I don't think "old Delta" did, nor does "new Delta". I could be wrong about that.

dpratt68
08-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Bummer :(. I thought it was going to be a rant on how Delta changed your flight times.

I always have a feel for what makes a "good price" from my local airports and I have a "buy price" in mind. Once I see that price I buy and don't look back. Sorry you looked :(.

I know what you mean with a price in mind but the way prices have been recently I thought it was the best I was going to get. When Jet Blue opened and wanted $259 one way I was afraid to wait for SW. I am travelling Presidents Week. I jumped too soon live and learn.
Thanks everyone for letting me whine.

Brian Noble
08-01-2010, 09:56 AM
For what it's worth, my "buy it" price has also gone up this year, so I know what you're saying.

jodifla
08-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Northwest did pre-merger, but I don't think "old Delta" did, nor does "new Delta". I could be wrong about that.

Delta does have this 24-hour cancellation policy. I asked about it last week.

Brian Noble
08-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Interesting. I explicitly looked for it right after the merger, and it wasn't there. I wonder if they added it more recently, or if I was just incompetent in my search?

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/ticket_changes_refunds/risk_free_cancellation/index.jsp

Alexander
08-01-2010, 06:11 PM

Yes "old" Delta did--can't speak for "new" Delta. I used it in 2007 when I accidentally booked travel on the wrong date. I called a few hours later and all was taken care of--of course my correct date flights were more money!

pumpkinboy
08-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Another reason why Southwest rocks. I hate those change fees. Of course, I uaually end up flying Delta and JetBlue, but I am working to switch my habits over to Southwest with no baggage fees and no change fees.

robinb
08-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Another reason why Southwest rocks. I hate those change fees. Of course, I uaually end up flying Delta and JetBlue, but I am working to switch my habits over to Southwest with no baggage fees and no change fees.But Southwest keeps the difference in their coffers for a year and then it goes away. In addition, they changed the rules so any money can only be used for the passenger the ticket was originally purchased for. No more pooling the canceled reservation's money together for any ticket you choose.

doggydoc
08-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Another reason why Southwest rocks. I hate those change fees. Of course, I uaually end up flying Delta and JetBlue, but I am working to switch my habits over to Southwest with no baggage fees and no change fees.

Totally agree, I understand a small fee but $100 or more is ridiculous. I sooo wish we had SW at our local airport.

Tara
08-01-2010, 09:53 PM
But Southwest keeps the difference in their coffers for a year and then it goes away. In addition, they changed the rules so any money can only be used for the passenger the ticket was originally purchased for. No more pooling the canceled reservation's money together for any ticket you choose.

Even so, it's still far better than paying change fees that are often 50% of the original fare...or more. If you don't fly often, then the money is a loss, but at least you can change your flight plans without having to pay a penalty.

ruadisneyfan2
08-01-2010, 10:08 PM
But Southwest keeps the difference in their coffers for a year and then it goes away. In addition, they changed the rules so any money can only be used for the passenger the ticket was originally purchased for. No more pooling the canceled reservation's money together for any ticket you choose.

When did this happen? I just bought tix for Sept and was able to use multiple credits from ds and dh both onto ds's ressie.
Must be very new. I bought around 2 mos ago.

I think this was probably to eliminate fraud. People would steal credit cards, buy SW flights, cancel and sell the credits on ebay. By the time the cardholder figured out what's going on, the ebay seller has his $. I know, I was a stupid ebay buyer of SW credits and lost them. Paypal only protects physical items, not 'codes' such as this. Live and learn....

Brian Noble
08-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I sooo wish we had SW at our local airport.
We have SW. But, they have no non-stop flights to MCO *and* they are almost always more expensive---even after baggage fees.

Thanks, but no thanks.

beachbunny
08-01-2010, 10:42 PM
I also thought this was about a bad experience flying Delta, which it is not. Delta is not to blame.

Couple of lessons learned: 1. Why did you use Orbitz to book a trip on a single airline? I would only use a third party if booking multiple airlines got me a better price. Otherwise, I usually book directly with the airline.

2. It's always a gamble. Do I wait for the price to go down - versus there may be no more seats if I wait too long. You gambled. But you didn't lose because the price you booked seems to have been lower than other prices you saw but passed on earlier.

ruadisneyfan2
08-01-2010, 11:01 PM
We have SW. But, they have no non-stop flights to MCO *and* they are almost always more expensive---even after baggage fees.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Yes, I hear that a lot. I think it depends on the airport/region. We have several non stops per day from Philly and very reasonable fares. Back in days of really cheap fares, we could get dings for $39 each way. Even now I see $84 plus a $25 off RT coupon. Avg is probably $99 which seemed high at first but still way better than driving.

robinb
08-01-2010, 11:20 PM
When did this happen? I just bought tix for Sept and was able to use multiple credits from ds and dh both onto ds's ressie.
Must be very new. I bought around 2 mos ago.

I think this was probably to eliminate fraud. People would steal credit cards, buy SW flights, cancel and sell the credits on ebay. By the time the cardholder figured out what's going on, the ebay seller has his $. I know, I was a stupid ebay buyer of SW credits and lost them. Paypal only protects physical items, not 'codes' such as this. Live and learn....
Oops. I thought it already was in effect. According to SWA it goes into effect on January 28, 2011:

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/cancelAir.html

Oh ... and I don't think it has to do anything with fraud. I think it has to do with making it more difficult to use the credits and hoping some of them will expire rather than being used by another person. Sure, your situation may happen but AFAIK the transfer of codes like that was already against SWA's rules.

dpratt68
08-02-2010, 06:37 AM
I also thought this was about a bad experience flying Delta, which it is not. Delta is not to blame.

Couple of lessons learned: 1. Why did you use Orbitz to book a trip on a single airline? I would only use a third party if booking multiple airlines got me a better price. Otherwise, I usually book directly with the airline.

2. It's always a gamble. Do I wait for the price to go down - versus there may be no more seats if I wait too long. You gambled. But you didn't lose because the price you booked seems to have been lower than other prices you saw but passed on earlier.

OP-I used Orbitz because the price was the same on Delta.com & if by chance it goes down Orbitz will send me a check. I was paying the $150 even if I booked Delta.com

Tara
08-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Thanks, but no thanks.

We're half of the flip side of this - Southwest is our ONLY nonstop option.
But, short of sales and Ding! fares, they're usually slightly more expensive. On my Aug 27 - 1 Sept trip, 1 ticket was $281 WITH the $25 coupon, nonstop RT. (It was originally $295, but just dropped $13 last week. Today it's $308.)

Delta has been pretty steady and even today (25 days out) it is $240 for a similar flight schedule. (It tacks on 2 hours each way) Add in 1 checked bag each way and it's $286...

It's been this way for about 2 years now, but as long as they don't get outrageously high, I'll continue to fly them at these prices. It's a hard pill to swallow after 3 years of $49 each way Ding! fares, but I can't say that the prices aren't fair and reasonable. So I'll keep paying them so the nonstop flights will stick around!

robinb
08-02-2010, 08:10 AM
OP-I used Orbitz because the price was the same on Delta.com & if by chance it goes down Orbitz will send me a check. I was paying the $150 even if I booked Delta.comNow I'm confused. You booked on Orbitz so you can take advantage of their price guarantee. The price went down. Did the guarantee kick in?

jnfr2424
08-02-2010, 08:32 AM
The ticket that I was about to purchase on Delta changed as soon as I clicked on "book now". After I had figured out my travel plans it was a great $69 one way sale I figured I would head to Disney for 2 days on my way to vacationing with friends in St Croix and then poof! The $69 changed to $194 so I had to take the next flight which does not get in until after midnight!
I am still going to try to change the flight when I get to the airport to the earlier one so I can get to the MK to see the new fireworks show!

LGH1946
08-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I have been looking at Delta from Atlanta to Orlando for a few weeks now. I should have booked already. It is now $250.00 round trip and it has been as low as $158.00 :scared1::confused3 I just hope it will go back down, it looks like there are plenty of seats left for an 8:30 p.m. flight. :mad::scared:

Tara
08-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Now I'm confused. You booked on Orbitz so you can take advantage of their price guarantee. The price went down. Did the guarantee kick in?

I think the issue isn't that the OP's flight went down, but that she or he found a new flight at a more convenient/preferable time than the flight that is already booked.

beachbunny
08-02-2010, 04:53 PM
I was confused too. I also think OP wants a different itinerary that is now cheaper than her current itinerary. And possibly, the itinerary she booked did not go down in price so no Orbitz refund.

For the same price, I would have still booked directly with the airline. Usually booking with the airline gets me bonus miles. I just received 500 bonus miles for my upcoming WDW trip.

The other reason that I'd book with an airline over a third party site is personal. I've booked with Orbitz twice. The first time, it was at a boutique hotel with different sizes of rooms in the same category - we got a broom closet - whereas I had booked the same room category directly with the hotel previously and had a room twice the size. The second time, I had a problem and could not reach a live body to talk to. It was beyond frustrating.

LGH1946
08-04-2010, 09:53 AM
ON TUESDAY AFTERNOON, I GOT ROUND TRIP FLIGHT ATLANTA TO ORLANDO FOR $118.00!!!! THAT IS SO AWSOME! I HAD HEARD THAT YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CHECK ON TUESDAY AFTERNOONS AND IT IS TRUE!!! ON TUESDAY MORNING IT WAS $230.00 AND WE GOT $118.00 !!! :rotfl::banana::cool1: