PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Airline to USA

OzCath
07-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi All. Looking at booking our trip for next March. Delta has a great fare at the moment for our dates. Has anyone flown with them? I've always been a bit of a Qantas snob, but can't really justify the huge difference in price. I know a lot have also flown with V. Have heard both good and bad reviews. Give me your opinions. Also flying with a 2 year old and 5 year old.

Ms. Shuttergirl
07-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi All. Looking at booking our trip for next March. Delta has a great fare at the moment for our dates. Has anyone flown with them? I've always been a bit of a Qantas snob, but can't really justify the huge difference in price. I know a lot have also flown with V. Have heard both good and bad reviews. Give me your opinions. Also flying with a 2 year old and 5 year old.

Hi OzCath, we flew with Delta last September and they were great. We also did some domestic flights with them. All of the planes left on time, were clean and the staff were helpful. The food was nice too.

We are flying with them to the US again next month.

They have an amazing safety record too, much better than Qantas.

aussiegirls
07-31-2010, 06:39 PM
I fly V. It would take something pretty major to get me to fly anyone else now. I paid extra to fly V this time around, and it doesn't bother me at all. I would rather pay extra to go with who I like :thumbsup2

xxx

aussietravellers
07-31-2010, 08:07 PM
We are flying Qantas on our upcoming trip and they are the airline we usually fly with. We have flown with them a majority of the time as we are frequent flyers with them, also for this trip we had a $900 Qantas travel voucher to put towards flights that we received from an earlier flight to Europe and there was a minor problem so we got a $900 voucher from Qantas :banana: They told us of the problem at checkin for the flight and we were offered the voucher or to fly another day. So for this upcoming trip there was a buy one get one free so we took that and used our voucher.

But in December we flew with VAustralia. We absolutely loved it. The staff were so nice, the seats were comfortable, the food was good. The only problem for us was on the way home in premium economy they serve peanuts and with a severe airbourne peanut allergy they were thinking of not letting us fly :scared1: and this was all being decided when we were on the plane, in our seats and held the plane up for half an hour whilst the head cabin crew guy and the captain decided wether we could go or not (why they didn't think about all of this before as the allergy was noted in the booking I will never know :confused3 ) After they decided not to serve the peanuts and just all of the other snacks (chips, biscuits etc) was the best solution and off we went.

So due to this drama, we may not fly with them again. Although they were great aside from that hickup, but it's a bit of a concern if we can be on the plane and they will remove us due to an allergy and then we are stuck in another country and have to find another airline to fly home with. So flying Qantas is easier for us, they don't serve peanuts so it has never been an issue with them.

In the US we like to fly AA.

DizOz
07-31-2010, 08:46 PM
I am also a confessed Qantas snob, mainly due to Qantas Club access. So in the states I tend to fly AA as well again for the lounge access.

Due to the airlines all having different hubs sometimes getting a direct flight is impossible. That is always my first choice no matter the airline. For example a few months ago I had to go to LA and Sacramento. AA did not have any direct flights in fact had to go on 3 flights to get there compared to a 50 minute direct flight with United's feeder service United Express.

I have found the reliability of the US airlines for puntuality has really improved over the years whilst the onboard service has declined (as a result of cost reductions). Whilst I tend to stick with AA I have also flown United, continental and Southwest and all were OK.

I would suggest using the one that best suites your timetable and offers direct services when deciding.

DizOz
07-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi OzCath, we flew with Delta last September and they were great. We also did some domestic flights with them. All of the planes left on time, were clean and the staff were helpful. The food was nice too.

Ms Shuttergirl,

Just curious as I always thought Qantas had the best safety record in the world for years in operation, distance travelled compared to fatalities or injuries from accidents? Or was "Rain Man" lying to me???

:confused3:confused3

shan08
07-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Anyone flown to the US with Air New Zealand? They were our cheapest option at time of booking, with the must do stop over in Hawaii for 5nights on the way home. We are from Adelaide, so flying with most of the big airlines we would of had to do an overnight stopover in Sydney on way home, By then we would all be over it!! Most of our domestic whilst in the states are with Delta, so hope all goes well.

1rocky
07-31-2010, 09:28 PM
I am flying Hawaiian airlines in Jan. Has anyone flown with them thanks
I have flown with Qantas and the huge problems we had before flying it was like a comedy of errors All up resulting in an 8 hour delay.

Ms. Shuttergirl
08-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Ms Shuttergirl,

Just curious as I always thought Qantas had the best safety record in the world for years in operation, distance travelled compared to fatalities or injuries from accidents? Or was "Rain Man" lying to me???

:confused3:confused3

Hahaha, Rainman wasn't lying to you, but it was a few "air incidents" ago :rotfl:. Qantas is still one of the safest airlines, however in the last year or two there have been a few maintenance/safety issues that I believe have made them drop a few places from no. 1. I believe Delta ranks higher for safety on an "amount of flights" per incident ratio.

Sorry if I mislead you. I was typing my reply quickly before running out the door.

ehsmum
08-01-2010, 01:34 AM

What did I miss? Last I heard you were planning for Christmas 2011, and now you're going next month?? Details please!:eek:

Kiwianna
08-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Anyone flown to the US with Air New Zealand? They were our cheapest option at time of booking, with the must do stop over in Hawaii for 5nights on the way home. We are from Adelaide, so flying with most of the big airlines we would of had to do an overnight stopover in Sydney on way home, By then we would all be over it!! Most of our domestic whilst in the states are with Delta, so hope all goes well.

Are you travelling via Auckland or does Air NZ codeshare with a flight direct from Adelaide to Hawaii?

darren123
08-01-2010, 02:55 AM
Have flown with Qantas, Air New Zealand , Air Pacific and VAustralia.
VAustralia is our favourite for value and service.

shan08
08-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Are you travelling via Auckland or does Air NZ codeshare with a flight direct from Adelaide to Hawaii?
Kiwianna - yes we are going via Auckland, 1 and half hour stop over then onto San Fran. On the way home, depart LA, 5nights in Hawaii, then via Auckland again for a couple of hours then home. What are your thoughts on the Airline. Is the inflight ent ok?? Have to sons 14 & 11.

Ms. Shuttergirl
08-01-2010, 04:32 AM
What did I miss? Last I heard you were planning for Christmas 2011, and now you're going next month?? Details please!:eek:

You've missed heaps luv. More details here"- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2406582&page=6

But the gist is we leave 52 sleeps for 2 1/2 weeks in the US. YAY.

But now miss, where is your little trip report and all the pictures you promised???

Kiwianna
08-01-2010, 05:42 AM
Kiwianna - yes we are going via Auckland, 1 and half hour stop over then onto San Fran. On the way home, depart LA, 5nights in Hawaii, then via Auckland again for a couple of hours then home. What are your thoughts on the Airline. Is the inflight ent ok?? Have to sons 14 & 11.

I think you will be on a United Airline flight between L.A. and Honolulu and I have no idea what entertainment options you will have, but your Air NZ flights should all have personal screens. You will be on several different types of aircraft, so you could have a look at the Air NZ website.
If you click on the tab "Travelling" then choose International Travel from the
drop-down box, the list on the left-hand side includes Inflight Entertainment.
Although the listings may not be the same as when you are travelling it might give you some idea of what they offer.
Whenever I have travelled on Air NZ I have had no problems but I am always happy when any flight is over, regardless of the airline.

OzCath
08-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Shan08, have heard many positive reviews of Air NZ. Can I ask what you paid for your airfare? I am also from Adelaide and wanted to do the Hawaii stopover on the way home but found it was so expensive. With Qantas it added an extra $1,000 to the airfare. I thought that was pretty crazy.

Oz-kateer
08-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Take care on Air NZ with their baggage allowances. They are very restricted.

Any savings you may be able to make may be eaten by excess baggage fees.

I have flown Air NZ, United, Qantas, Air Pacific and and Delta to the US (and Continental and Northwest.... though they no longer fly....have done them all pretty much except V Australia). Was generally a Qantas snob.

I flew Delta last year to try them out and they were great, so good in fact we're using them again next month.

Only reason we didn't give V Australia a shot was the crummy schedule getting you into Orlando at the crack of dawn. They were a little cheaper than Delta, but I'd have had to book an extra night's accomodation on our WDW package if we wanted to check in to the hotel at 6am, which sort of evened out the saving.

shan08
08-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Shan08, have heard many positive reviews of Air NZ. Can I ask what you paid for your airfare? I am also from Adelaide and wanted to do the Hawaii stopover on the way home but found it was so expensive. With Qantas it added an extra $1,000 to the airfare. I thought that was pretty crazy.
OzCath, It was a pain in the bum getting quotes for the stopover in Hawaii, but was something we really wanted. Our Air New Zealand fare comprised of Adelaide to San Fran with 3 night stopover, then onto New York. On the way home we depart from LA then to Hawaii for 5 night stopover then home, ( via Auckland of course). $2567 per adult, $1963 for child. We have Delta flights from NY/Buffalo/Orlando/Vegas for $319 pp. All up we paid $12,000 including all taxes. We probably could of got it a bit cheaper with a cheap fare in and out of LA, and a return to Hawaii from LA, but didnt want to stuff around.

kwonyong
08-03-2010, 05:48 PM

I think QANTAS's safety record is great. The main thing I consider when deciding who is "safe"to fly with is how many people have died. All airlines have maintenance/safety incidents, its how the airline runs their maintenance, servicings of aircraft and how well their pilots are trained/handle the aircraft when something does go wrong that counts in my opinion. QANTAS have a great safety record. I do get very tired of seeing the news report every incident (most of which are routine) that QANTAS has, but they ignore the vast majority of incidents that the other airlines encounter.

Having said that if all tickets prices were even I would prefer to fly QANTAS, but would also be happy to fly DELTA.

Willow25
08-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I am flying Hawaiian airlines in Jan. Has anyone flown with them thanks

Hello Rocky

We flew with Hawaiian Airlines a few years back. They are okay but their planes seemed a lot older than Qantas.

Ms. Shuttergirl
08-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Hello Rocky

We flew with Hawaiian Airlines a few years back. They are okay but their planes seemed a lot older than Qantas.

Hey Willow, where ya been luv?

Willow25
08-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Hey Willow, where ya been luv?

I am here just been really really busy over the last few months with my job and my little ones. But the count down to December has begun and I am back with a vengeance!!

Glad to hear your plotting has gotten you a trip this year!! You will love WDW!!

ZADS
08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
I am flying with V Australia this October. Their prices are competitive, and their services are great. New plane, bigger seats, enjoyable flights. Plus I prefer their evening departure times, allows me to get to my destination that little bit earlier. You can rise to get a snack at anytime whereas I don't think you can with other airlines. They also provide mood lighting in cabin which allows a nice ambience.

Delta are good, too - though IMO not as good as V. Their planes are seedier, seats are smallers. Prices and food are great, though.

Qantas are good, also - but not so great they're still charging so highly.

kyl
08-14-2010, 05:32 PM
I am flying with V Australia this October. Their prices are competitive, and their services are great. New plane, bigger seats, enjoyable flights. Plus I prefer their evening departure times, allows me to get to my destination that little bit earlier. You can rise to get a snack at anytime whereas I don't think you can with other airlines. They also provide mood lighting in cabin which allows a nice ambience.

Delta are good, too - though IMO not as good as V. Their planes are seedier, seats are smallers. Prices and food are great, though.

Qantas are good, also - but not so great they're still charging so highly.

Oh I am glad to hear this ZADS as we are flying v australia for the first time this trip. From what I have read they have good reviews, what sort of snacks can you get while on board. I am sure my kids will be up and down to check them out:rotfl2: We are also leaving on a late night flight, do they serve you breakfast first to try and make your body clock change around a little to the american times?:confused3

aussietravellers
08-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh I am glad to hear this ZADS as we are flying v australia for the first time this trip. From what I have read they have good reviews, what sort of snacks can you get while on board. I am sure my kids will be up and down to check them out:rotfl2: We are also leaving on a late night flight, do they serve you breakfast first to try and make your body clock change around a little to the american times?:confused3

The late night flight from experience and times difference and travel would arrive very late afternoon/early evening into LAX on VAust. If this is the case, you will get dinner arriving in LAX. To Orlando from LAX you may be on a Delta flight? That flight should serve breakfast as it is a longer flight. Here is their menu, doesn't look that exciting, you should be able to grab breakfast once you get to WDW, a character breakfast on arrival could be lots of fun :thumbsup2 (yes you will be in a coma, but it will be fun :rotfl2: )
http://www.delta.com/pdfs/EATS-menu-print.pdf

lovintheland
08-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Kyl when we flew with V last year the snacks were basically things left over from the meals. For instance there were little bowls with a desert/cake and cheese and crackers and fruit. At one stage it was stocked with little packets of chips, but these disappeared really quickly, they certainly didn't restock them once they were gone.
We can't speak highly enough of our V experience and can't wait to fly with them again in 31 sleeps.
We are leaving Sydney at 8.30pm and I read on the webiste that dinner and breakfast will be served on the flight. I'm guessing the breakfast will be the first meal because they usually try and get you on track with your destination time.

aussiegirls
08-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Nope, it's dinner first. Then lights out for a veeeeery long time then breakfast when they turn the lights back on a few hours before landing.

When we went, our flight left Sydney at 9ish PM. We were starving in the airport so had Maccas. Then when we got on the plane they served us dinner (probably would have been about 10.30 or 11PM by then. Then we slept and watched movies etc. We didn't need to go to the snack bar at all because we were fuuuuull. Then about 3 or so hours before we arrived they served breakfast. When we landed it was late afternoon (maybe 4 PM or something :confused3 ) so in theory you could have had a late lunch after arriving if you felt the need but we didn't.

Arrived in Anaheim about 7ish, went to Mimi's for dinner and straight to sleep.

No issues with jet lag and were raring to go in the morning :thumbsup2

xxx

lovintheland
08-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for that Aussiegirls. You answered things I was wondering myself. As last time we left Brisbane at 11.00am I wan't sure how the leaving at night went. I was thinking about it before and I thought we will really need to eat dinner at Sydney airport before departing at 8.30pm. Is there much to choose from at the airport?

kyl
08-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Yes I thought that breakfast would be the first meal even though it is 8.30pm at night when we leave only a few sleeps after you lovintheland. But we then stop for a four hour stop over before boarding a flight to orlando from LAX. I don't know how much luck I am going to have but we leave on the Sunday night so after school on friday the kids are staying UP as long as they can. Then sleep in Sat morning and same again so hopefully they will serve breakfast first because this is what I am planing on doing at home for a couple of days prior. Well thats the plan. When we flew with qantas last year we left at 1.30pm and they served us dinner within a couple of hours then breakfast about two hours before we landed. They based our meal times and lights out etc on american time so I hope v australia will do the same?
Aussiegirls we ate at mimis last year for dinner and found their food to be v. good as well. We are planning a couple of days at the HoJo on our way home so doing disneyland as well as disneyworld can't wait!

aussiegirls
08-14-2010, 10:06 PM
lovintheland, there is plenty to choose from at Sydney Intl, but the problem is most of it is pretty ordinary and pretty pricey $$$$$$$. Hence the reason we had Maccas, even though we don't have it too often.

I think we will probably need to eat again before we leave this time as we are doing the same time flights (great time to fly) and will def want something to eat before 9PM. I will prob look around the airport again but I think it is likely I will settle for Maccas again as I just can't bring myself to fork out $10 for a sandwich that was probably made 12 hrs ago. :eek:

There is also Starbucks and Gloria Jeans etc, where you could just go and get a coffee and a small snack to tide you over - actually now that I think about it I will probably do that instead of Maccas - much nicer :lmao:

xxx

kyl
08-14-2010, 10:12 PM
How are the earphones on V australia I read somewhere that they were large for children? Is this true, I don't want to carry extra headsets if I don't need to.

aussietravellers
08-14-2010, 10:17 PM
How are the earphones on V australia I read somewhere that they were large for children? Is this true, I don't want to carry extra headsets if I don't need to.

My son didn't have any problems with the earphones. To be honest I can't actually remember the earphones, but if they didn't fit or were a little large I would have remembered :lmao: I would not have had peace the whole flight :rotfl:

kyl
08-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Thxs aussietravellers, that saves me packing and buying those!

aussietravellers
08-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Isn't that unusual serving breakfast when you arrive late afternoon :confused3 We had breakfast when we arrived at 5.30am from Brisbane on VAust so it's strange serving breakfast when you arrive later. I actually like the breakfast, so would be happy to receive it any time during the flight, but the airlines do usually serve the meals to match the countries arrival time. So I would have thought Dinner when you depart at night and then dinner again :rotfl2:

Oh well, the food isn't too bad on VAust, well we enjoyed it, so any meal will be nice :thumbsup2

kyl
08-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Isn't that unusual serving breakfast when you arrive late afternoon :confused3 We had breakfast when we arrived at 5.30am from Brisbane on VAust so it's strange serving breakfast when you arrive later. I actually like the breakfast, so would be happy to receive it any time during the flight, but the airlines do usually serve the meals to match the countries arrival time. So I would have thought Dinner when you depart at night and then dinner again :rotfl2:

Oh well, the food isn't too bad on VAust, well we enjoyed it, so any meal will be nice :thumbsup2

Yes my thoughts sort off, I would of thought breakfast served a couple of hours into the flight as that would make it their (americas) breakfast time and then maybe lunch or dinner? a couple of hours prior to landing. Because I think we land about 5pm LAX time. Either way I know we will be feed :thumbsup2 And then I thought would they leave the lights on? because it would be daytime over there? I kinda hope they don't because it creates a calming atmosphere for the kids when lights go off :confused3

aussietravellers
08-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes my thoughts sort off, I would of thought breakfast served a couple of hours into the flight as that would make it their (americas) breakfast time and then maybe lunch or dinner? a couple of hours prior to landing. Because I think we land about 5pm LAX time. Either way I know we will be feed :thumbsup2 And then I thought would they leave the lights on? because it would be daytime over there? I kinda hope they don't because it creates a calming atmosphere for the kids when lights go off :confused3

They will turn the lights off after whatever meal they serve, when you leave Syd at night and then they will turn them on before they serve the meal before landing, they won't turn them off again when you are only like an hour out of LAX. VAust has great cabin lighting.

kyl
08-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Yes I am really looking forward to the cabin lighting everyone comments on that! Sounds like it is the airline of choice am I right for travelling to the USA?

aussiegirls
08-14-2010, 11:07 PM
It's definately my airline of choice :thumbsup2

xxx

ZADS
08-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Snackwise, I remember they had biscuits and chips, plus soft drink / water etc.

The headphones are good quality, slightly larger, but good quality.

You may want to check whether your flight times have changed. I just got emailed that they're bringing my 9pm flight forward to 12.15pm. A little inconvenient, but should work it out, I hope.

Still my preferred airline. I think you will be pleased with your choice.

lovintheland
08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Zads, is your flight in or after December?

kyl
08-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Mines in Sept. lovintheland and it hasn't changed.

aussiegirls
08-16-2010, 05:56 PM
lovintheland, my flight is late November and it hasn't changed. So I am guessing that they have changed the times starting well into December.

Very happy about that though, because I am still going to work on the day we leave, so a midday flight would not be a good thing for me :rotfl:

xxx

lovintheland
08-17-2010, 04:22 AM
Wow Aussiegirls, how on earth are you going to concentrate on work the day you leave????? I'm really struggling getting through each day right now. It's painful I'm so impatient. I want to go NOW :rotfl2:

aussiegirls
08-17-2010, 05:01 AM
lovintheland, as it turns out my flight time has changed after all, so looks like I won't be going to work.

I really don't want to be getting into LA at 8am but there is nothing I can do about it.

I worked last time, the full day that we left. I thought it was great because it gave me something to do and I wasn't either stressing out or running around like a crazy person with excitement.

Oh well, I still get to go to Disney, so I am not going to let it bother me :flower3:

xxx

ZADS
08-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Lovintheland, my flight departs 22nd October... My flight arrives in LA at 8am and initially my next connecting flight would have been around 4pm but I called Expedia yesterday and believe they will be adjusting my connecting flight to 11am (3 hour wait)... They'll be emailing once that has been arranged, so hoping it all goes well, don't want to be hanging around the airport all day.

DizOz
08-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Did anyone see the review Delta Airlines got in The Age this week? Is it really that bad or did the reviewer have just one of those trips???

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/traveller-tips/flight-test-delta-air-lines-20100812-120mt.html

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Ms. Shuttergirl
08-18-2010, 04:54 PM
We travelled with Delta last year and will be travelling with them again this time. I thought the seats were fine, the food was fine, enough leg room and enough width (and I am pooh sized), entertainment systems were good with lots of variety.

I would agree on occasion about the service though. We had a problem with my husband's entertainment system not working on the way over and they really didn't seem very helpful about the situation.

I complained to Delta when we got back and they sent me a $50 voucher which I kind of thought bordered on a pathetic response :rotfl:.

With that said, we were happy with everything else. We flew with them 4 times whilst we were away and always found the planes took off on time and were clean, etc.

kyl
08-18-2010, 05:00 PM
So are you doing the leg from Australia to LA with delta? I didn't know they had entertainment systems? Wow I must researce this some more....maybe for our next trip because they are way cheaper.

TwinkleOz
08-18-2010, 06:28 PM
I went last Nov and this Aug with Qantas. I have no complaints with them. They tend to be a little more expensive in their sale flights but I find when things go wrong, they are very flexible and will do everything to make you happy.

The trick to Qantas before you fly is not to make any changes over the phone to your ticket, they will charge you. But if you go into their retail store in the city they will change anything without any charge.

DH and I missed their checkin for our flight home by 6 mins after we casually went to the airport. What I thought was a 23:50 flight was actually a 23:05 flight!!! Nightmare!!! The crew were checking in and I begged and pleaded them to let us on. They put us on the 23:50 flight (thankfully there was one!) and upgraded us to the exit row seats all for no charge.

A few weeks ago, I went on a very spontaneous flight to the US and booked a flight to leave on a Saturday morning in 8 days time with Qantas. The ticket with such short notice was $1,230.

I always try and pick the flights with the Airbus 380 - much more comfortable and much better entertainment systems and silent!

Oz-kateer
08-18-2010, 06:52 PM
We too have flown Delta internationally on the SYD/LAX route and domestic within the US and I have to say we also had no complaints, so much so that the 5 of us are flying them again next month.

Every flight we had was on time, the only unpleasant part of the trip was the awful immigration and customs hall on arrival at T5 at LAX. It all seemed a bit "temporary", the air conditioning was non existent, and the whole thing was very cramped with a low ceiling - reminded me of an old school assembly hall rather than a major international airport. And there are absolutely no shops or toilets - my DS who was 6 at the time waited to go to the bathroom until we got off the plane as I expected there would be toilets at touchdown but there were none! But bless him - he hung on and on right up until we got through customs and out into the main lobby. Having said that though, there were wooden ramps and some scaffold up, so I feel that either they were renovating, or we were diverted to something temporary for some reason. It might be different this time. It's just not as glamorous or as spacious as arriving in Sydney, not by a long shot.

The AVOD on the aircraft really are great.

I found the seats fine - I have pictures of me sitting in them and like Shutter, I'm not exactly Kate Moss, and I had plenty of space.

But as the author of this article he points out - that fare he got at $900-odd including tax - that is CHEAP. If he doesn't think the airline or the service was up to scratch, pay more and get more. Delta doesn't profess to be a luxury airline, but it's not a budget airline either. It's nowhere near the Emirates and SwissAir league - but it's not Jetstar either.

ZADS
08-22-2010, 08:37 AM
I agree with the comment about their service. I found the US flight attendants not as hospitable as Australian flight attendants.