PDA

View Full Version : No longer will use AirTran

David 1980
07-30-2010, 04:56 PM
I had a 8:13 flight out of Orlando to Indianapolis that did not leave until 1:44 AM? WE were told every thing from Weather to something was wrong with the plane and never told the truth? I spoke to a Man who runs the food cart next to AirTran gate 93 and he said this happens every night with AirTran anything after 8Pm is delayed for some reason. I will never ever fly with them again, the customer service agents were rude and could not tell us the truth if they had to. I am glad we did not start our Vacation with AirTran because that would of been a terrible way to start our vacation. Southwest I will never stray again.

What a sad sad company AirTran is..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ancestry
07-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience.

I too have noticed a greater chance of delays on flights the later in the day than there is early in the mornings. I always thought it was due to the aircraft being turned over so quickly that at any point in the day if there is a glitch in the scheduling (or bad weather, or backups on the runway for take off) that it then sets every flight afterwards behind.

ssawka
07-30-2010, 08:08 PM
popcorn:: Waiting for other posters to start blaming you for booking a late flight, or saying "well you have to expect things like this if you are going to fly!"

You are absolutely right in this case. I understand things happen and maybe it was something out of AirTran's control, but there is no excuse for lying to customers!

canopynut66
07-30-2010, 08:18 PM
I had a 8:13 flight out of Orlando to Indianapolis that did not leave until 1:44 AM? WE were told every thing from Weather to something was wrong with the plane and never told the truth? I spoke to a Man who runs the food cart next to AirTran gate 93 and he said this happens every night with AirTran anything after 8Pm is delayed for some reason. I will never ever fly with them again, the customer service agents were rude and could not tell us the truth if they had to. I am glad we did not start our Vacation with AirTran because that would of been a terrible way to start our vacation. Southwest I will never stray again.

we have flown Air Tran since it started here to Orlando and never had a problem with delays(Not that it can't happen) but not so sure would believe food vendor that this happens every nite as Air Tran gave me free flight as I was to hot one trip???? so call them or email them and complain and get a free flight. do not blame you for being mad as that is a long time to wait.:confused3

DebbieB
07-30-2010, 08:19 PM
The weather along the east coast has been bad the past few days. Summer thunderstorms throw off airline schedules more than winter snowstorms.

JandT'smom
07-30-2010, 08:20 PM
popcorn:: Waiting for other posters to start blaming you for booking a late flight, or saying "well you have to expect things like this if you are going to fly!"

You are absolutely right in this case. I understand things happen and maybe it was something out of AirTran's control, but there is no excuse for lying to customers!

Sad but true this will become the OP's fault.....no reason for bad customer service and that was a very long delay and you gotta love all the different reasons. Glad it was the end not start of your vacation.

msmayor
07-30-2010, 08:46 PM
I guess I'm one that really believes there CAN be multiple issues that delay flights.

Yes...weather could have been a factor initially. Then, as Air Tran perhaps attempted to get a replacement aircraft (or the originally scheduled aircraft) a maintenance issue could have popped up that delayed the flight further.

They weren't necessarily 'lying' to you.

drew64
07-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Understand your frustration and it is not your fault.

Personally, i hated AirTran when they were ValuJet and still do so am not defending them and never fly them, but a few things to consider:

The gate agents only know and can share information sent to them via the updates in the computer and if they receive an update via phone. Often they are not given complete facts.

Not saying you did this, but having experienced many delays and travelers screaming and throwing fits at gate agents - as if they have any control over the flight status, I can see them getting impatient and maybe a bit rude - perhaps others on your flight were doing this.

Weather issues nowhere near your departure or arrival cities can cause your delay depending on where your particular equipment is originating from or anywhere along the route.

If weather delays are occurring somewhere and causing back-ups, then FAA can delay flights at any airport to "free up " air space and alleviate congestion.

Both weather and euqipment delays can and do occur on the same flight. I fly many times a month and it does happen. The plane could have been delayed at its last arrival city due to weather or held at gate due to weather and then an equipment issue can still show up on the taxi out to the runway causing it to return to the gate.

I would not particularly take the food cart guy's word as a subject matter expert.

Evi
07-30-2010, 08:54 PM
after last years fiasco on our flights with airtran we decided never again. We had delays on both legs of our journey excuses both times 3 canceled flights on the way down and 1 canceled on the way back + 2 hours on tarmac. Honestly for us it was really bad plus once you add baggage fee etc. I rather pay more and fly with an airline with fewer restrictions and better customer service.

lastminutemom
07-31-2010, 10:10 AM
I am not blaming the original poster not am I defending Air Tran, but any flights after about 4PM that connect through Atlanta are at high risk for delay in the summer time, especially this summer.

We are in a pattern (though it seems to have calmed for this week) of really horrendous thunderstorms somewhere in the metro area almost daily.

If you are concerned about timeliness, for whatever reason, don't fly though Atlanta late in the day. It doesn't matter which airline, weather is weather.

NancyIL
07-31-2010, 02:10 PM
So far I haven't had any problems with AirTran, but I usually fly non-stop to and from Orlando in the morning. I've been delayed on several evening flights on American that connected in Chicago. Earlier this month I flew from London to Chicago without incident, and then my American Eagle flight to my hometown was delayed several hours. First we waited for the plane, and then we waited for a crew! After we pushed back from the gate, we still had a long time (about 90 minutes) to take off due to air traffic and a thunderstorm. I can't blame American, because most early evening flights from Chicago were also delayed.

Inkmahm
07-31-2010, 02:20 PM
So far I haven't had any problems with AirTran, but I usually fly non-stop to and from Orlando in the morning. I've been delayed on several evening flights on American that connected in Chicago. Earlier this month I flew from London to Chicago without incident, and then my American Eagle flight to my hometown was delayed several hours. First we waited for the plane, and then we waited for a crew! After we pushed back from the gate, we still had a long time (about 90 minutes) to take off due to air traffic and a thunderstorm. I can't blame American, because most early evening flights from Chicago were also delayed.

Same for me. I generally fly early flights with Airtran but the few evening flights I've been on have been fine. They have all been nonstop to and from Orlando.

I do everything I can to avoid flying through Chicago. It's been years since I've had a flight through O'Hare because the connecting flights to Milwaukee always seemed to be canceled or delayed. Every single time, every season of the year.

Aristocath
07-31-2010, 02:45 PM
These posts always amaze me. My husband flies every week for his job and we fly often as a family. It doesn't matter what airline you fly, there can be delays and cancellations. And the guy who runs the food cart is probably just making conversation. Bad weather in another part of the country can have far reaching effects. Gate agents for any airline often aren't given the whole story. I know it is frustrating to have these problems but you just have to prepare yourself for delays and problems. They happen with every airline, even Southwest.

Chelley00
07-31-2010, 03:11 PM
WE were told every thing from Weather to something was wrong with the plane and never told the truth? I spoke to a Man who runs the food cart next to AirTran gate 93 and he said this happens every night with AirTran anything after 8Pm is delayed for some reason.

#1. Maybe there was bad weather, AND something needed to be fixed on the plane when it did land.

#2. Your food cart friend is wrong. DD and I flew out of Orlando at 9:15pm, and we actually left early.

Your delay, and lack of response, could have happened with any flight, out of any airport.

maxiesmom
07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
I would like to know which airline the OP intends to fly if they want one with a guarantee of no delays. I have been delayed on Northwest, Delta, Continental, and United.

And no way would I take the word of a food vendor as proof of being lied to. And how do you know you were not told the truth?

I'm sorry you had a bad end to your vacation, but sometimes flying is not as easy as it should be. It happens on all airlines.

vicki_c
07-31-2010, 03:22 PM
I would not particularly take the food cart guy's word as a subject matter expert.

LOL - food vendor as SME. That was funny. :lmao:

kaytieeldr
07-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Bad weather in another part of the country can have far reaching effects.::yes:: About a year and a half ago, I was scheduled to fly LAS-BOS Christmas night. There had been some bad snowstorms in the northeast the week I was away, and my plane was delayed several hours; we ended up departing about three hours late, not long after our plane arrived from the east coast. That was nothing. The plane at the gate next to ours boarded on time, then couldn't take off. Their pilot was on our incoming flight!

Oh. The weather in Las Vegas? Well, it had snowed a week earlier :eek: but by Christmas, it was great! But still, even though it hadn't snowed in New York/New Jersey/Philadelphia/Boston for two days, there were still three hour delays out of the first three airports.

Donut23
07-31-2010, 06:28 PM

You are right about finger pointing - sometimes it's measured in minutes here!

I prefer the first flight of the day. That way the equipment is there and ready to go - not arriving from somewhre else. In reality, I take the flight which is the most convenient and affordable!'

We now feel like hostages to the airlines when trapped out of town and getting no honest answers.

On a return flight from LAX to BWI I choose a mid-day flight because it was direct (no southwest non-stops that day). We would land in Chicago, but not deplane.

Well, we landed...were told thru passengers would be counted...stay in our seats. Then, the frantic call for EVERYONE to get off the flight....we would be moving to another flight holding a gate...whatever. That was about noon.
We sat in the airport until after 9 pm with various answers.

My favorite (remember we had a direct flight).....Southwest told us the equipment for our second flight was delayed. I remember trying to explain that our BUTTS WERE IN ALREADY THE SEATS OF OUR SECOND FLIGHT.

SIGH ..... even my beloved Southwest is showing signs of becoming an....airline.

Just tell us the truth....even if we don't like it....at least it's the truth!

DebbieB
07-31-2010, 06:48 PM
You are right about finger pointing - sometimes it's measured in minutes here!

I prefer the first flight of the day. That way the equipment is there and ready to go - not arriving from somewhre else. In reality, I take the flight which is the most convenient and affordable!'

I've found the first flight of the day can be a problem if you are not in a hub (I'm in Pittsburgh). That plane is usually the last one in the night before and the crew overnights and takes the first flight out in the morning. Problem is if that evening flight was very late, the crew has to get the mandatory 8 hour rest and it delays that first flight of the day even though the plane is there and ready to go.

David 1980
07-31-2010, 07:45 PM
I appreciate all the comments from all of you travel experts. I do believe the food cart guy because we had a lengthy conversation and he cannot close until the last flight has departed for the night. I guess he was working an extra 4 hours and said this happens most nights, not this late but it does happen. I do understand weather is another story. We were told the plane was on route but was having issues and when it landed it would be set to go in 30 minutes and then the stories started. I asked why I was not contacted via my phone and the agent told me they did not do that , I said funny because I signed on for that service with AirTran. I was delayed 1 hr on the first leg of my trip by SouthWest and was contacted two times by them. I guess I am more upset with the lack of customer service all passengers received on that flight from Air Tran not just me. I had three tired children and if I would of been notified we may of been able to make other arrangements(another carrier or getting a room and going out the next morning) but those options were never given. I have a right to complain when service is not up to par? I am sure most of you would feel the same way if you were delayed as long as we were and no reason was given.What if Disney gave you this kind of service I am sure all of you would react the same way I did? Dave

kaytieeldr
07-31-2010, 08:29 PM
You do have a right to complain when service isn't up to par. Absolutely.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

the airlines can't control the weather, or the Air Traffic Controllers. You go when you're told/allowed to go
you don't want to be on a flight with a mechanical problem - even if it turns out to simply be a malfunctioning warning light - until the problem is checked and resolved.

I love JetBlue. I won't fly anywhere they don't go. But I've run into delays with them, and despite being signed up for notifications, I heard nothing until I got to the airport:

three+ hour delays at JFK/EWR/PHL meant the plane I had to board to connect in Washington wasn't going leave PHL until after I was supposed to be connecting; I spent eight hours in the airport, my luggage spent twenty
strong headwinds required all westbound cross-country flights to land in Denver to refuel... and then be deiced
the aforementioned three hour delay on the return flight on that same trip.
a Song (so, a few years ago) flight delayed two hours for NO reason.
a Delta flight where a warning light came on during the inbound flight.
then there was the American flight that stopped in Washington and was delayed sevaral hours because of some ring thing in the engine.
and the Midway flight that was the only one out of RDU not weather-cancelled; the flight crew even boarded... only to be be cancelled after every other passenger in the terminal had already been sent to hotels :rolleyes1

Now, granted, the latter few weren't JetBlue and the last didn't provide the airline with reasonable warning time. But in all the JetBlue cases, they could have notified me but didn't. On that three hour return delay, I'd just fractured a rib. No sympathy. They wouldn't let me change my flight. Well, they would have... but at a cost :teeth:. Oh, well. At least once the plane boarded it was only a third full.

Anyway, delayed flights and lack of notification aren't going to make me refuse to fly any airline.

pilotwife_02
07-31-2010, 09:21 PM

How do you know you weren't told the truth? The aircraft ABSOLUTELY could have been delayed for both weather and then maintenace in the same day. Not only has my DH, a longtime pilot expeirenced that, but I PERSONALLY have experienced it. I actually got on the flight after a weather delay to be told to deplane since they found something wrong when the pilot was going through his pre-flight check list.

You're lucky the pilots didn't time out for the night and you were able to fly out with a 5 hour delay!

maxiesmom
08-01-2010, 05:35 AM
And the only service your airline ticket gets you is transportation from point A to point B on a certain day. The time is not guaranteed. It states that in your contract of carriage.

Having said that, delays suck. We all know that. But you cannot blame the airine for a weather delay. Or a maintaince delay. Or a delay because the flight crew has timed out. That all goes under the heading Stuff Happens and we have to deal with it.

David 1980
08-01-2010, 08:47 AM
I am just saying that the AirTran Gods could of done a better job of customer service and contacted us? I am sure Pilot Wife your husband does have stories to tell and I am certain his Airline was never at fault? I guess the truth is no longer used in customer service? I am grateful to the Air Tran Gods that I finally made it home? I again will never ever set foot on any AirTran plane because they are terrible at customer relations and are nothing but a bunch of liars from top to bottom.

ssawka
08-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Having said that, delays suck. We all know that. But you cannot blame the airine for a weather delay. Or a maintaince delay. Or a delay because the flight crew has timed out. That all goes under the heading Stuff Happens and we have to deal with it.

You are absolutely correct, but what are the chances of all of those things happening on the same night for the same flight? The thing that airlines don't get is that customers would be more forgiving if the airlines were just honest with them. However, when they keep changing the story it is hard to put any faith in the airline.

Brian Noble
08-01-2010, 09:26 AM
In my experience? Not that small. The maintenance delay won't be discovered until you try to actually do something with the plane---after the weather delay is cleared. If the two together take long enough, the crew pumpkins.

I've had similar things happen a couple times, and I don't fly *that* much.

Your point about "tell me what's going on" is well-taken. Several years back, when Northwest adopted their "passenger bill of rights" or whatever they called it, they promised to tell passengers within 15 minutes the reason for any delay. That didn't stop the delays, but it still made a difference---just feeling like we knew what was going on made things better. But, the story *can* legitimately change as things progress.

Carmen NC
08-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I booked a roundtrip flight with Airtran back in late March for my trip to the Food & Wine Festival Oct 16-20. I chose the return flight since it had a short layover of 45 minutes in Atlanta coming back to Charlotte. Well, each month that layover got longer and longer - they extended my layover 4x to the tune of 2.5 hours. I called Airtran and indicated that this was no longer convenient and to cancel the return flight. No reason was ever given why this flight was delayed 4x. I kept the flight to Orlando and got a return flight for just $2 more (after my AT refund) from Delta.

I just used Airtran for the first time for my early July trip and they never made any changes to either flight and the reservations were made in March as well. I guess you just have to take your chances.

pilotwife_02
08-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I never said his airline wasn't ever at fault. But I can tell you that my DH is honest with his passengers. He HATES being lied to and make sure that the people on his planes know what's going on. But I kno there are times that throughout the course of his day a number of things happen to him (maintence and weather related) that will screw up each flight; something affects one flight, it is bound to affect another (I know this because he texts me throughout the day and if he's having a bad day he vents to me instead of his crew since they don't need to see him frustrated since he's the captain and feels he shouldn't do that).

Oh and he doesn't work for airtran, so yes, this WILL happen with other airlines. Will is happen to you again on another one? Maybe, maybe not; depends on how often you fly. But if you fly quite often, I'm sure the odds are it will happen, so please be prepared.

Inkmahm
08-01-2010, 09:47 AM
I booked a roundtrip flight with Airtran back in late March for my trip to the Food & Wine Festival Oct 16-20. I chose the return flight since it had a short layover of 45 minutes in Atlanta coming back to Charlotte. Well, each month that layover got longer and longer - they extended my layover 4x to the tune of 2.5 hours. I called Airtran and indicated that this was no longer convenient and to cancel the return flight. No reason was ever given why this flight was delayed 4x. I kept the flight to Orlando and got a return flight for just $2 more (after my AT refund) from Delta.

I just used Airtran for the first time for my early July trip and they never made any changes to either flight and the reservations were made in March as well. I guess you just have to take your chances.

Was there another flight on Airtran that would have worked for you? You could have made the change without any change fee.

I love Airtran for being able to make changes to my flights when Airtran changes their schedule at all. I am also going to MCO for F&W in October. We were to return home on October 25 on a morning flight and I changed my mind and decided we'd like to stay until evening. (We can eat our way around Epcot one more time!). Our flight was originally scheduled to leave at 9:53 am and was changed to 10:05 am since I booked it months ago. With that small change of 12 minutes, I was allowed to change to the 6:27 pm evening fligh instead. I consider that to be great customer service.

Alexander
08-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I appreciate all the comments from all of you travel experts. I do believe the food cart guy because we had a lengthy conversation and he cannot close until the last flight has departed for the night. I guess he was working an extra 4 hours and said this happens most nights, not this late but it does happen. I do understand weather is another story. We were told the plane was on route but was having issues and when it landed it would be set to go in 30 minutes and then the stories started. I asked why I was not contacted via my phone and the agent told me they did not do that , I said funny because I signed on for that service with AirTran. I was delayed 1 hr on the first leg of my trip by SouthWest and was contacted two times by them. I guess I am more upset with the lack of customer service all passengers received on that flight from Air Tran not just me. I had three tired children and if I would of been notified we may of been able to make other arrangements(another carrier or getting a room and going out the next morning) but those options were never given. I have a right to complain when service is not up to par? I am sure most of you would feel the same way if you were delayed as long as we were and no reason was given.What if Disney gave you this kind of service I am sure all of you would react the same way I did? Dave

Delta flight Rochester, NY to Melbourne, FL--February 2007...Travelers Me, DS (8) and DS (8 months).

Scheduled take off 6:30 AM--Delay due to mechanical issues.
In line ready to board--Delay due to pilot noticing missing static wick for the plane.
It's okay, we have an extra onboard. About 45 minutes to put it on.
Oops--not the right one...We're flying one in from Atlanta along with a mechanic.
Oops--that plane has a problem and is landing in Syracuse...Will take off as soon as it is fixed and deiced.
Plane in line to be deiced and will be here in less than an hour.
Plane arrives...static wick replaced...Crew has timed out for the day.
It is now 10:00 PM

15.5 hours in the Rochester airport alone with an 8 y/o and an 8 month old. Then into a hotel for the night and departure at 5:30 AM the next morning not knowing if I was going to have enough formula or diapers to get through.

What difference does it make if you know all of the delay reasons or not. You are still going to be delayed....

There were no other flights available anywhere all day into any airport because of a major snowstorm that had shut down airports for 3 days prior.

Sorry, I am finding it hard to have a lot of sympathy....things happen.....Do I still fly Delta.....of course several times, including next month....Things happen....

Alexander
08-01-2010, 09:54 AM

How do you know you weren't told the truth? Flights into Atlanta in the evening--yeah definately a weather issue! Atlanta is a huge hub for AirTran your plane probably couldn't get in or out. How do you know there wasn't a mechanical issue?

NancyIL
08-01-2010, 10:00 AM
How do you know you weren't told the truth? Flights into Atlanta in the evening--yeah definately a weather issue! Atlanta is a huge hub for AirTran your plane probably couldn't get in or out. How do you know there wasn't a mechanical issue?

The OP's 8:13 p.m. flight from Orlando to Indianapolis was a non-stop.

David 1980
08-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Again and again we all were told different stories that just did not add up. I checked and no other AirLines were going to Indianapolis that evening? I understand things do happen but it sounds like this is common with AirTran? I might of stayed an extra day in Disney if we would of been told of any sort of delay, Southwest did so why cant AirTran? Why were other AirLines taking off and landing at that time I am sure if it was weather AirTran was not the only airline affected. I guess what I am saying is AirTran should of been up front with a delay and I would of been fine with that, but to lie to all passengers the way they did was just not right. It is sad to say this seems to be so common anymore look at congress and the President they also cannot tell the truth, so I guess I am asking to much from AirTran? I learned my lesson and will only use Southwest on any future flights. I am sorry to rant and rave but the America I fought for is not the same anymore and I feel sorry for our children who will have to suffer in this corrupt society. Thank you all for your advice and I promise I will use it in the future.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Brian Noble
08-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I am sorry to rant and rave but the America I fought for is not the same anymore and I feel sorry for our children who will have to suffer in this corrupt society.
First, thank you for your service.

However, I think we're only a few more posts away from Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law).

dr&momto2boys
08-01-2010, 10:49 AM

However, I think we're only a few more posts away from Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law).

:lmao:

Sorry, OP, for the direction the discussion has gone. I get it. You're not mad simply about the delays, you're mad that the airline doesn't have to have any common courtesy. I don't know why the public puts up with it!

kaytieeldr
08-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Again and again we all were told different stories that just did not add up. I checked and no other AirLines were going to Indianapolis that evening? I understand things do happen but it sounds like this is common with AirTran? I might of stayed an extra day in Disney if we would of been told of any sort of delay, Southwest did so why cant AirTran? Why were other AirLines taking off and landing at that time I am sure if it was weather AirTran was not the only airline affected.I'm confused. Are you asking if no other flights were going to Indianapolis that evening, or are you telling us none were? If there were other flights going, well, it's likely AirTran (just like Southwest) doesn't have any interline agreements so can't put you on a different airline's flight.

As for other flights taking off and landing, again I'm confused. Was the bad weather IN Orlando? That would be an airline-by-airline decision. Do you mean the weather at your departure airport was bad but other AirTran flights were departing but yours wasn't? Or were there other flights - both your airline and others - grounded? If the weather was bad enough, the Air Traffic Controllers may have allowed flights to land instead of circling around above the weather wasting fuel and risking the need for emergency landings, but not permit departures. This may NOT be the issue, but your post is confusing.

And aside from any weather issues anywhere - Central Florida, Indianapolis (where the food vendor absolutely couldn't know the weather conditions or the reason your flight's departure was delayed :rolleyes2: ), or anywhere en route - no other flight had YOUR plane's mechanical issues, or the potential problem with the crew timing out.

You wanted to be notified so you could make other arrangements - either arrive at the airport later, or stay in a hotel overnight? It wouldn't have mattered. The airline still wants the passengers to be at the airport in time for their original departure; things change and the flight may end up departing on time (I recall a Song flight several years ago where, when I got to the gate, the flight was delayed two hours(!); a half hour or so later, the status was updated to on-time - so any passenger planning on the delay missed the flight).

Ditto for a hotel - had you opted to spend the night in a hotel, either near the airport or at Walt Disney World, AirTran would have considered your action as YOU cancelling your flight. You would have been charged the $150 per passenger change fee along with the difference between your original tickets and the cost of the new (last minute) tickets.

OhioDisneyDad
08-01-2010, 11:11 AM

You see one complaint about a company you can pass it off as that person having a bad experience. You start seeing multiple complaints from people all over the place and it's a lot harder to ignore. To list some actual facts from flightstats.com, AirTran has a 77% average on time rating. The lowest average delay for AirTran is 39.05 minutes and the average highest delay for AirTran is 315.60 minutes (that's 5 1/2 hours!).

Being a business traveler, one way I judge an airline is if business travelers like to fly them. I travel a lot and know a lot of other business travelers (million miler types) and 99% of them wouldn't fly AirTran on a bet. Take that for what you will.

Also, as a side note, once again the responses in this thread show that the DIS is continuing it's downward spiral. There are numerous, nasty, know-it-all responses in this thread that are just uncalled for. I really don't think the OP was saying that AirTran should just get the d#mn plane in the air regardless of maintenance or weather. All the OP was looking for was some decent customer service which is SORELY lacking at AirTran. If the OP doesn't want to fly AirTran then he has that right (bless you for your service by the way) and should be able to express that opinion without getting ripped for it. :sad2:

vicki_c
08-01-2010, 11:12 AM

:lmao::lmao:

thanks Brian - I had never heard of that before - hilarious!

kaytieeldr
08-01-2010, 11:16 AM
All the OP was looking for was some decent customer service which is SORELY lacking at AirTran.Because the OP didn't like the responses he was getting from AirTran - and it's been pointed out nicely by several people that it's absolutely possible for a single flight to have both mechanical and weather delays - he instead opts to accept as official the observations of a food kiosk vendor.

Brian Noble
08-01-2010, 11:22 AM
I travel a lot and know a lot of other business travelers (million miler types) and 99% of them wouldn't fly AirTran on a bet.
I'm a business traveler and I'd never fly them for business either. But that's partly because someone else is paying (so I don't care if they are cheaper), and the perks on the legacies for having status are a lot nicer. For a leisure trip, if they're significantly less expensive, I'll at least give them a look (but will typically end up on Delta anyway unless the flights are a *lot* less on AirTran, based on lounge access alone, and that I can often get the rest of my family on the flight on miles.)

Business and leisure travelers have different metrics of "good", and AirTran is aiming for the leisure market, not the business market.

OhioDisneyDad
08-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Because the OP didn't like the responses he was getting from AirTran - and it's been pointed out nicely by several people that it's absolutely possible for a single flight to have both mechanical and weather delays - he instead opts to accept as official the observations of a food kiosk vendor.

I would absolutely accept the observations of someone who's there every day and sees how the airline operates. If you fly a lot (which I do) you get to know folks in the airport and, whether you choose to believe it or not, those folks know exactly what goes on in the airport. If someone does something stupid at security, the whole airport will be telling stories about it. If an airline is constantly screwing up, they'll know that too. The ground crew folks know the food service folks and so on.

robinb
08-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I would not particularly take the food cart guy's word as a subject matter expert.I would ... but only if he's married to a WDW bus driver.

OP, I'm sorry your flight was delayed. Look on the bright side. At least it wasn't canceled completely. That would have been a bigger PITB.

Brian Noble
08-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I would absolutely accept the observations of someone who's there every day and sees how the airline operates.
I've spoken to many similar folks in DTW. When they volunteer information about how NW-now-DL "does things", they are wrong 99% of the time. It's one thing if a gate agent is telling you this. It's another if the hot dog cart guy is.

OhioDisneyDad
08-01-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm a business traveler and I'd never fly them for business either. But that's partly because someone else is paying (so I don't care if they are cheaper), and the perks on the legacies for having status are a lot nicer. For a leisure trip, if they're significantly less expensive, I'll at least give them a look (but will typically end up on Delta anyway unless the flights are a *lot* less on AirTran, based on lounge access alone, and that I can often get the rest of my family on the flight on miles.)

Business and leisure travelers have different metrics of "good", and AirTran is aiming for the leisure market, not the business market.

I guess it comes down to how much you value your time. Even for leisure travel the majority of people I know wouldn't fly them. It's the same thing as me trying to avoid going through ATL (because of delays). I'd rather go with an airline with a proven, consistent track record even for leisure travel. Any money I save with a cheap airline will be lost in time and frustration when their poor track record catches up with me. To each his own.

LilyWDW
08-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Because the OP didn't like the responses he was getting from AirTran - and it's been pointed out nicely by several people that it's absolutely possible for a single flight to have both mechanical and weather delays - he instead opts to accept as official the observations of a food kiosk vendor.

I wonder how often the OP flies... I would guess not that often and mostly (if not all) for leisure travel.

When exactly was this flight? The midwest and the southeast have been experiencing a lot of sever weather lately, including some BAD pop up storms through out the day and well into the evening. Weather issues anywhere in the country could have impacted any other flight in the country. Does the OP know exactly where the originating city for that flight was? How was the weather there?

It's sad that it has come down to the fact that realistic responses are now considered rude and uncalled for. It does no good to pat the OP on the back and tell them sorry while ignoring the fact that it does the OP no good in the future. Instead, it makes more sense to explain to the OP that these things happen and can happen on ANY airline. I don't see this as rude at all... I see this as trying to help. Especially when they insist on saying they were lied to, even though multiple reasons for a delay could happen.

This is the transportation board. There is no pixie dust here... travel is not conducive to pixie dust. Realistic expectations, knowledge, and truth are conducive to travel. That is what this board is for. To make sure people are prepared for the reality that is travel.

kaytieeldr
08-01-2010, 11:44 AM
I would absolutely accept the observations of someone who's there every day and sees how the airline operates.How, but not why; and people do tend to exaggerate, or put their own spin on things. Frankly, with all the reports I've seen of there being no food options available at MCO late in the evening, I'm surprised that any food vendor is required to remain open until all flights have departed.

See? Perception.

OhioDisneyDad
08-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I've spoken to many similar folks in DTW. When they volunteer information about how NW-now-DL "does things", they are wrong 99% of the time. It's one thing if a gate agent is telling you this. It's another if the hot dog cart guy is.

So the gate agent, who has a vested interest in

a) telling you anything to get you out of their face
b) wants to keep his/her job
c) doesn't want to deal with EVERYONE being in his/her face

is a more objective source of information than a disinterested 3rd party? Maybe if there was a fee for getting correct/honest info from a gate agent I would agree (give it time). Until then I'll take my chances with the folks who see how the place works every day.

kaytieeldr
08-01-2010, 11:51 AM
The Gate Agent who

a) Represents their employer - the airline on which the passenger is about to travel
b) Wants to keep her/his job
c) Deals with the public in a professional manner...

...provides the most accurate and up-to-date information possible based on ACTUAL knowledge and the data provided to them by the airline and air traffic control for passenger safety and operating efficiency.

I guess it just depends on how you look at life ;)

OhioDisneyDad
08-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I guess it just depends on how you look at life ;)

Amen to that!!! Which gets us back to my original point regarding the OP and his opinion. We all have our own viewpoint which is uniquely our own. So many folks forget that on the DIS and choose to just see things through their own eyes rather than trying to understand the intention of the OP. :rolleyes1

pilotwife_02
08-01-2010, 12:02 PM
How, but not why; and people do tend to exaggerate, or put their own spin on things. Frankly, with all the reports I've seen of there being no food options available at MCO late in the evening, I'm surprised that any food vendor is required to remain open until all flights have departed.

I'm really surprised by that too. I have flown out of Vegas airport before for a redeye and many places are closed when we get there and that's a city that is open 24 hours/day.

I wonder how long this food cart guy has worked there? Maybe he just started a few months ago when all the summer storms stared so yes there would a lot of delays. :confused3

Brian Noble
08-01-2010, 01:41 PM
is a more objective source of information than a disinterested 3rd party?
Actually, I was thinking of a gate agent for a different airline. Still a biased party, but at least one who understands how airlines really work.

I'm telling you, from personal experience over many years, that the hot dog cart guy knows about as much about what's really going on as any random passenger---which is to say, very little.

It's the same thing as me trying to avoid going through ATL (because of delays).
I actually have one situation where I intentionally route through ATL on Delta---taking the red eye back from the west coast. I get an extra couple hours of sleep, and still get in in time to get to the office.

David 1980
08-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Wow so many so called experts when all I wanted was for Air Tran to notify all passengers not just me of a delay of close to six hours. I fly about twice a year with my family of seven and for some stupid reason liked AirTran and their 8:13 depature from Orlando to Indianapolis. Weather was not an Issue it was not stopping any flights out of Orlando and a flight from Midway just landed so I really cant see it as being weather related? I appreciate the support and am still laughing at the other posts who have taken this in another direction then what was intended. I guess it is Tabo to complain on these boards because we all are supposed to live in a fantasy land where everything is always great and we are just supposed to be happy AirTran did get me to my home? I am so happy you were there when I had the conversation with the food vendor that is right outside Gate 93 and yes after I spoke to him and his supervisor they both stated this happens a lot. They were happy because it meant more business for them since they were the only thing still open at that time. I also again would of liked to hear the truth from AirTran and that never happened? Why I have no idea as to why but if your business is customer driven that would of been a nice start. So if other airlines were taking off and landing with no issues I am not about to believe it was the weather nor was it a mechanical issue as they also stated. I am sorry I am not Disney 24/7 like most of you and am sure if this happened to you your reaction would be different? Thanks again for the advice but this has gone further then it should of, again thanks for the support from most of you.:love::love::love:

maxiesmom
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
How do you know it was not a mechanical issue? How on earth would the food cart guy know if it was or wasn't one? I don't think they keep him in the loop on those things.

I do feel for you that you had such a long delay. And don't fly Air Tran if it makes you feel better. But understand that what happened to you COULD HAPPEN ON ANY AIRLINE!

If you think you were not told the real reason for the delay, what difference would it have really made? Your delay would have been just as long, and just as much a frustration. It seems you have chosen to blame the airline as a way of coping. But please know that the next time you choose to fly, even if you fly another airline, you could be delayed as well. Just avoiding flying Air Tran will not make you immune to that, and the frustration that goes along with flight delays.

David 1980
08-01-2010, 03:58 PM
How do you know it was a mechanical issue? I am sorry if I trust the poor food guy over AirTran? I will complain if I feel like it and if you do not like it go to another thread? I am tired of being judged by people who were not there and again I was not the only one complaining the entire waiting area was upset every time the man made another announcement.

ironz
08-01-2010, 04:16 PM
To the OP: Sorry this happened..because with those flight times, that makes for a long night/early morning, and that is no fun.

Though I will say that, yes, on any airline, you can have weather delays (which may not have to do with the weather in Orlando or Indiana, but maybe where the plane or the crew was coming from), and/or mechanicals. I agree that it's nice to have more notice, but that's not just an Airtran thing, nor is SW free from it. I have flown on American and SW and even sitting at the gate with no plane, the board will show the flight as on-time. Crazy! I think they do keep people in the dark about the reasons, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that sometimes they are hoping the problems will be resolved (get the mechanical fixed, or find another crew) faster than it ends up really happening, so they would rather not get people counting on a certain time.

As for putting you on other flights...at that time of night, that might have been tough to do, and as another person wrote, Airtran may or may not have interline agreements to do so with another airline. And it's not free for them to do that...so it is in their interest (remember, they are a business) to try to get the passengers on the intended flight.

As for the food vendor...I think his story has credence, and this is why: I looked up that flight, and it has a terrible on time record (cut and pasted below). Flightstats.com is a very helpful site to plan for future flights to see what their record is.

Sorry for your travel woes...if you travel enough, it is bound to happen at some point (I've spent several nights not where I was supposed to be for various reasons...some weather, some FAA/ATC, and some mechanical). Hope this helps.

0.1 of 5
Very Poor On-time:
Avg. Delay: 67%>
53 min
FlightStats Rating is a merit measurement considering both on-time performance and delay severity. The score, 0.1, shows that this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 0% of all other flights in the FlightStats database.

On-time Performance
0.1 of 5
Very Poor On-time: 67%
This flight has an on-time performance of 67%. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 2% of other flights.

Delay Performance
0.0 of 5
Very Poor Avg. Delay: 53 min
This flight has an average delay of 53.0 minutes with a standard deviation of 56.12 minutes. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, standard deviation, and mean, this flight has delay performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights.

ssawka
08-01-2010, 04:21 PM
How do you know it was not a mechanical issue? How on earth would the food cart guy know if it was or wasn't one? I don't think they keep him in the loop on those things.

I do feel for you that you had such a long delay. And don't fly Air Tran if it makes you feel better. But understand that what happened to you COULD HAPPEN ON ANY AIRLINE!

If you think you were not told the real reason for the delay, what difference would it have really made? Your delay would have been just as long, and just as much a frustration. It seems you have chosen to blame the airline as a way of coping. But please know that the next time you choose to fly, even if you fly another airline, you could be delayed as well. Just avoiding flying Air Tran will not make you immune to that, and the frustration that goes along with flight delays.

That is exactly what the problem is! Most of the airlines would rather lie to there customers and act like everything is out of there control. Often things are out of the airline's control, but rather than saying "we are experiencing a long delay because of XYZ and we anticipate the delay taking X hours" the airlines prefer to string their passengers along an provide conflicting reasons throughout the entire delay, and if a passenger complains, the attitude is "next time fly on a different airline that won't lie to you, they all do!" I can think of few other industries that can offer such dismal customer service and still stay in business.

ironz
08-01-2010, 04:24 PM
To the OP...could be worse! This the performance rating of a flight I have to take for work in a couple of weeks--worse than your Airtran flight's record! I will plan to be pro-active about being ready for a missed connection that day! (good to know the options for re-booking or other flights ahead of time)

0 of 5
Very Poor On-time:
Avg. Delay: 32%>
68 min
FlightStats Rating is a merit measurement considering both on-time performance and delay severity. The score, 0, shows that this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 0% of all other flights in the FlightStats database.

On-time Performance
0.0 of 5
Very Poor On-time: 32%
This flight has an on-time performance of 32%. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights.

Delay Performance
0.0 of 5
Very Poor Avg. Delay: 68 min
This flight has an average delay of 68.0 minutes with a standard deviation of 72.36 minutes. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, standard deviation, and mean, this flight has delay performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights.

pilotwife_02
08-01-2010, 04:28 PM
However, there are time when they DON'T know how long it will take. DH has been kept in the dark before about departure times from the tower and he's in charge of the freaking flight. They will tell him to check back in X amount of time to find out of they have a time for him to leave (this is obviously for weather delays).

Should the gate agents keep telling people every 45 minutes that they delay is still going on? I don't know.

Also, the OP wanted to know the delay was going to be 6 hours so he could have made other arrangements. My guess is that the airline didn't know it would take 6 hours to get the plane up and running, he didn't mention if when he got to the airport they told him it was a 6 hour delay, but I'm guessing they didn't since he mentioned wanting them to give regular updates.

kaytieeldr
08-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Weather was not an Issue it was not stopping any flights out of Orlando and a flight from Midway just landed so I really cant see it as being weather related?Indianapolis-Chicago is about the same distance as New York-Boston, and about the same direction. On some days when the weather in the latter two cities is EXACTLY THE SAME, air traffic in New York (and Newark, and Philadelphia) is delayed three hours or more, while air traffic in and out of Boston is on time except plane flying to/from that tri-city area. Since, as a passenger and not an airline employee, meteorologist, or air traffic controller, you don't know what the weather conditions were en route to Indianapolis, while you can't 'see' the delay being weather related, that doesn't mean it wasn't.

I guess it is Tabo to complain on these boards because we all are supposed to live in a fantasy land where everything is always great and we are just supposed to be happy AirTran did get me to my home?Well, no. The Transportation forum exists in the real world, not in the world of fairies, sweetness, light, and pixie dust. It's not taboo to complain. We KNOW travel isn't always great. Heck, for someone who only flies a couple of times a year, I've had MORE than my share of delays, unexpected stops, misdirected luggage, and a complete lack of sympathy.

That fractured rib I mentioned earlier? That happened IN the airport, just before I checked in for my flight. I even had my hotel room for an extra night (just because the flight was scheduled to depart at 10:30 PM and I didn't want to spend the day 'homeless'). No sympathy from the airline.

So if other airlines were taking off and landing with no issues I am not about to believe it was the weather nor was it a mechanical issue as they also stated. I'm still confused by this statement. It's making zero sense to me. I can't tell if it is a statement, or if it's a question. I can't tell what you're questioning if it is a question. Do you believe or not believe there were mechanical issues? Do you not believe the weather on one route can be different than the weather on another route? Frankly, do you think the airline MUST tell the passengers why there's a delay? What if they don't know until the plane lands that there's a problem? They can't tell you in advance. And as I said before, they still want YOU there for the originally-scheduled departure - otherwise they're not responsible for you missing the flight if it ends up leaving on time after all.

I also again would of liked to hear the truth from AirTran and that never happened? Okay, well, now that you've vented here and gotten responses you don't like, contact AirTran and get their side of it. Find out why they weren't truthful with the passengers. Before you do that, check the on-time stats for YOUR flight. Keep in mind some of the other information you've gotten here; not just the actual experiences, but that delays ripple through the day and the country. A five minute delay at 9 AM in Seattle can, yes, end up as a two-plus hour delay in Orlando at 9:15 PM.

Keep your contact brief, factual, and unemotional; have someone check your spelling and grammar, and please use paragraphs. That's not criticism, it's merely advice to get your letter (better) or e-mail taken seriously.

ironz
08-01-2010, 04:36 PM
However, there are time when they DON'T know how long it will take. DH has been kept in the dark before about departure times from the tower and he's in charge of the freaking flight. They will tell him to check back in X amount of time to find out of they have a time for him to leave (this is obviously for weather delays).

Should the gate agents keep telling people every 45 minutes that they delay is still going on? I don't know.

Also, the OP wanted to know the delay was going to be 6 hours so he could have made other arrangements. My guess is that the airline didn't know it would take 6 hours to get the plane up and running, he didn't mention if when he got to the airport they told him it was a 6 hour delay, but I'm guessing they didn't since he mentioned wanting them to give regular updates.

Exactly.

According to flightstats...the initial delay was going to be about 1 to 1.5 hours. Then it was extended.
On the good side...once they took off, they made up 10 minutes in the air!

Brian Noble
08-01-2010, 04:43 PM

As I wrote earlier, this is one of the things NW did back in the day. It might not have been every 45 minutes, but they did make an effort to keep people informed. When they didn't have an idea for how long it would take, that's what they said. When they were told "check back in X", that's what they told the passengers too. It doesn't make the delay any shorter (or the duration any more certain) but it *does* make the whole situation more bearable somehow.

kaytieeldr
08-01-2010, 04:45 PM
How do you know it was a mechanical issue? I am sorry if I trust the poor food guy over AirTran? I will complain if I feel like it and if you do not like it go to another thread? I am tired of being judged by people who were not there and again I was not the only one complaining the entire waiting area was upset every time the man made another announcement.
sigh... maxiesmom isn't challenging you, she's ASKING you. While you can certainly choose to believe a food vendor THAT an airline's late-evening flights are regularly delayed, we're having difficulty understanding why you'd believe that person as to the REASON the flights are "always" delayed. Frankly, if any airline's evening flights out of one particular airport are always late leaving one airport for mechanical reasons, I would not fly on that airline.

ssawka
08-01-2010, 04:55 PM

You can never provide too much information. If they really don't know, then I think updates every 45 minutes or so is appropriate. Most customers would be forgiving and would actually appreciate the updates if the airline is open an honest with them. Also, don't change the story! If it's a mechanical problem, don't say later on that it's due to weather.

Also, don't blame the employees at the gate for feeding you the BS! They are only telling you what they are being told. They are simply the messenger, the message is most likely coming from much higher up! However, I personally love it when an airline employee refuses to not give customers a line of BS.

For example, on our most recent flight to MCO we hit weather problems in Orlando and could not land. The pilot could have easily said "we are circling MCO and are in-line to land", but he didn't, he instead got on the intercom and said "Well folks, we are being rerouted all over the state and will land whenever air traffic tells us to." Did his being honest with the passengers make the delay any shorter, no, but it helped make everyone more comfortable about the whole situation because the pilot was being honest and provided some light-hearted comic relief. It always seems like pilots are pretty honest compared to other employees. Now is that all a front? I don't know, but it does make me trust the pilot.

robinb
08-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Wow so many so called experts when all I wanted was for Air Tran to notify all passengers not just me of a delay of close to six hours. I fly about twice a year with my family of seven and for some stupid reason liked AirTran and their 8:13 depature from Orlando to Indianapolis. First of all, there ARE a lot of experts on the transportation board. Ones with a LOT more experience than your twice a year flights. I'm sorry that you can't seem to accept that.

I am having a hard time understanding what happened. You say you were not notified of the delay but you also complain upthread that you were told that the delay was weather related and mechanical. Then later you say that everyone else was complaining when the gate agent would make another announcement. What is it? Did they tell you the delay when you got there or did they keep you in the dark? Or, do you expect to know about delays before you arrive?

Weather was not an Issue it was not stopping any flights out of Orlando and a flight from Midway just landed so I really cant see it as being weather related?Was your plane at the gate? Or did you have to wait for it? Just because Chicago is fine doesn't mean IND is in the clear. Was your flight last night/this morning? If so a number of thunderstorms were through Indianapolis yesterday.

I guess it is Tabo to complain on these boards because we all are supposed to live in a fantasy land where everything is always great and we are just supposed to be happy AirTran did get me to my home? It's not taboo to complain. But what happened to you can happen on because ANY airline. And YES you should be happy that Airtran got you home. They could have canceled the entire flight because of the problems or the crew may have expired. That means that they would not be allowed to fly the plane because they had already put in the maximum number of hours they are legally allowed to be on the job ... even if they are simply waiting at the gate with you. It could have been worse. You could have had to stay overnight and get up for an early flight instead of eventually getting home.

pilotwife_02
08-01-2010, 05:11 PM
For example, on our most recent flight to MCO we hit weather problems in Orlando and could not land. The pilot could have easily said "we are circling MCO and are in-line to land", but he didn't, he instead got on the intercom and said "Well folks, we are being rerouted all over the state and will land whenever air traffic tells us to." Did his being honest with the passengers make the delay any shorter, no, but it helped make everyone more comfortable about the whole situation because the pilot was being honest and provided some light-hearted comic relief. It always seems like pilots are pretty honest compared to other employees. Now is that all a front? I don't know, but it does make me trust the pilot.

That pilot sounds like my DH. He is no way wants his passengers to be unhappy because that makes the FA unhappy and in turn they will make my DH unhappy :rotfl: He doesn't need unhappy FA that he has to spend working with for 3-4 days in a row. ;)

He would also rather try to find some comic relief in the whole situation "folks we are taking you on the scenic route to XYZ" and try to get people to relax. He has to, after all, stand out in plain view when everyone is deplaning.

kaytieeldr
08-01-2010, 05:44 PM
He would also rather try to find some comic relief in the whole situation "folks we are taking you on the scenic route to XYZ" and try to get people to relax. He has to, after all, stand out in plain view when everyone is deplaning.
Yeah, I always try to thank the pilot on my way off the plane... especially when we get to leave through the regular door ;)

Vijoge
08-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I always try to thank the pilot on my way off the plane... especially when we get to leave through the regular door ;)

:thumbsup2 That's the only thing that's really important. . .;)

Alexander
08-01-2010, 06:59 PM
The OP's 8:13 p.m. flight from Orlando to Indianapolis was a non-stop.

This is completely irrelevant....Where was the plane coming in from?

Alexander
08-01-2010, 07:05 PM
You can never provide too much information. If they really don't know, then I think updates every 45 minutes or so is appropriate. Most customers would be forgiving and would actually appreciate the updates if the airline is open an honest with them. Also, don't change the story! If it's a mechanical problem, don't say later on that it's due to weather.

Also, don't blame the employees at the gate for feeding you the BS! They are only telling you what they are being told. They are simply the messenger, the message is most likely coming from much higher up! However, I personally love it when an airline employee refuses to not give customers a line of BS.

Please remember too that the pilot isn't fielding 100 or more complaints and inquiries from irrate passengers! I can't imagine how tiresome it must get trying to remain calm and patient when you have umpteen passengers telling you why they need to get home NOW and there isn't anything you can do about it.

We once had a flight delayed out of Ithaca, NY. We were going to miss our connection. So I got on the computer and found an alternate connecting flight for us into MCO instead of JAX as we were originally supposed to have. When it was my turn at the counter, I politely explained that we had found an alternative and if that would work for them....The gate agent thanked me repeatedly for not being one of the many passengers yelling that they needed to get to XXX by XXX time and instead found an alternative flight by myself.

NancyIL
08-01-2010, 07:18 PM
This is completely irrelevant....Where was the plane coming in from?

I don't think it's irrelevant. Your comment - "Flights into Atlanta in the evening--yeah definately a weather issue" - sounds as though you thought he was connecting in Atlanta.

David 1980
08-01-2010, 07:40 PM
We were told plane was coming from Midway in Chicago and was told it left the ground and then told 1 hr later that it had not left yet? It was a direct flight from MCO to Indianapolis. Thanks to the thread that shows me the performance of my flight. I will use that in the future and it will be very helpful. I also was talking to a man from Orlando who also was not contacted by AirTran and if would of been contacted he could of stayed at home,rather than the Airport?I do not feel sorry for the gate agent ,that is their job to provide honest customer service to its paying public. I do understand it can rain and that will cause a delay but again all other planes were up and running but not Air Tran? I guess AirTran had a huge rain cloud follow it from Chicago to Orlando? LOL I just learned not to fly AirTran or trust them and a letter has been sent to them, I am sure mine is not the only one they have received. Thanks again to all for the help I have received from most of you and again to the others I again had a good laugh.Piliots wife what Air Line does your husband fly for,because he sounds like the kind of Airline I am looking for. The Dis boards are great until you have an issue and then the so called experts are ready to pounce. I wish I lived in the same world you live in but mine is real and yes not so magical things do happen. Thank you again.:love::love::love:

kaytieeldr
08-01-2010, 08:22 PM
We were told plane was coming from Midway in Chicago and was told it left the ground and then told 1 hr later that it had not left yet? It was a direct flight from MCO to Indianapolis. Thanks to the thread that shows me the performance of my flight. I will use that in the future and it will be very helpful. I also was talking to a man from Orlando who also was not contacted by AirTran and if would of been contacted he could of stayed at home,rather than the Airport?So you were told the plane had left Chicago, then you were told it hadn't left Chicago. At what point prior to arriving at the airport would you have expecter AirTran to notify you the flight was going to be late, especially since the Gate Agents in Orlando didn't know until an hour after you arrived at the gate that the plane hadn't departed MDW yet (or had it)?

Not excusing AirTran for not providing their MCO staff with updated information, just asking you for clarification. What would that Orlando-based passenger have done if the information/actuality had been reversed? If he'd been called and told the plane was delayed an hour so he stayed home longer, except, oops, no, it's on time and it departed on time? THAT'S why the airline expects the passengers to be at the gate in time for the scheduled departure.

I do not feel sorry for the gate agent ,that is their job to provide honest customer service to its paying public.I don't work for an airline, but I can't give you information I'm not first provided by my employer... unless you'd rather I lie to you?

I do understand it can rain and that will cause a delay But you don't know the severity of weather conditions several miles in the air. Are you 100% positive that every single airline operating flights between MDW and MCO at/around the time your flight would have departed MDW was operating every single flight on schedule that evening? May I ask how you're sure?

I guess AirTran had a huge rain cloud follow it from Chicago to Orlando? Ha, ha. Not. Even you would realize the pilot would outfly a rain cloud and arrive early. Again, a simple five minute flight delay at nine AM in Seattle can turn into a two hour delay at 9 PM in Orlando.

I just learned not to fly AirTran or trust them and a letter has been sent to themAgain, I hope your letter is easier to read and less accusatory than your posts.

Thanks again to all for the help I have received from most of you and again to the others I again had a good laugh.You've been an interesting source of amusement as well.

The Dis boards are great until you have an issue and then the so called experts are ready to pounce.Regrettable that you interpret experienced responses as 'so-called experts' pouncing.

OhioDisneyDad
08-01-2010, 08:34 PM
So you were told the plane had left Chicago, then you were told it hadn't left Chicago. At what point prior to arriving at the airport would you have expecter AirTran to notify you the flight was going to be late, especially since the Gate Agents in Orlando didn't know until an hour after you arrived at the gate that the plane hadn't departed MDW yet (or had it)?

Not excusing AirTran for not providing their MCO staff with updated information, just asking you for clarification. What would that Orlando-based passenger have done if the information/actuality had been reversed? If he'd been called and told the plane was delayed an hour so he stayed home longer, except, oops, no, it's on time and it departed on time? THAT'S why the airline expects the passengers to be at the gate in time for the scheduled departure.

I don't work for an airline, but I can't give you information I'm not first provided by my employer... unless you'd rather I lie to you?

But you don't know the severity of weather conditions several miles in the air. Are you 100% positive that every single airline operating flights between MDW and MCO at/around the time your flight would have departed MDW was operating every single flight on schedule that evening? May I ask how you're sure?

Ha, ha. Not. Even you would realize the pilot would outfly a rain cloud and arrive early. Again, a simple five minute flight delay at nine AM in Seattle can turn into a two hour delay at 9 PM in Orlando.

Again, I hope your letter is easier to read and less accusatory than your posts.

You've been an interesting source of amusement as well.

Regrettable that you interpret experienced responses as 'so-called experts' pouncing.

I now see how you got to 25K+ posts - by being snarky and argumentative ("Even you would realize...). Very nice. Since it appears you're familiar with the term, I'd say you definitely qualify as an AESOP. :sad2: Breaking out your spelling and grammar police badge is a nice touch and always comes up from posters such as yourself. :rolleyes1

Alexander
08-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Wow! It is pretty clear that some are new to the transportation board. :teacher:

There is usually about 10% sympathy shown here and 90% information. Most of which is provided by frequent flyers who have ALOT of knowledge about flying.

There have been tons of threads over the years in which someone proclaims they will NEVER fly one airline or another again, and every single time people try to explain that although they may have had a crappy experience with a particular airline, that it happens to most everybody and most every airline at one time or another and that it just happens. Writing letters, and complaining on and on is generally pointless as these kinds of things happen all the time.

Have you not heard to make lemonade out of your lemons!;)

LilyWDW
08-01-2010, 08:59 PM
I now see how you got to 25K+ posts - by being snarky and argumentative ("Even you would realize...). Very nice. Since it appears you're familiar with the term, I'd say you definitely qualify as an AESOP. :sad2: Breaking out your spelling and grammar police badge is a nice touch and always comes up from posters such as yourself. :rolleyes1

Well, if the OP is going to write a letter to Airtran, then I also hope it had better spelling and grammar. Otherwise, it will be put in the ignore pile real quick. Companies are not going to take such letters seriously. I know I would refuse to read such a letter if it were to come to me.

And actually, kaytieeldr is one of our best sources of knowledge. Sorry if she sounds snarky to you, but I agree with her on most of this. What the OP is saying and complaining about doesn't make sense. People have tried nicely to explain to them how such things could happen. The OP is then attacking other posters themselves because they don't like what is being said. So yea, maybe people do get "snarky", but it's only in response to others who have been rude and only out of frustration when people will not listen OR provide information that makes sense.

There is usually about 10% sympathy shown here and 90% information. Most of which is provided by frequent flyers who have ALOT of knowledge about flying.

There have been tons of threads over the years in which someone proclaims they will NEVER fly one airline or another again, and every single time people try to explain that although they may have had a crappy experience with a particular airline, that it happens to most everybody and most every airline at one time or another and that it just happens. Writing letters, and complaining on and on is generally pointless as these kinds of things happen all the time.

:thumbsup2

Travel doesn't leave much room for error. If you mess up when trying to catch a flight, then you have pretty much lost a lot of time and money. This is not a place where posters pat each other on the back and tell them everything will be alright. This is a place where we explain what could have happened, what people should do in the future, and explain how things really work. Don't like it... don't read it. Pretty simple.

It's things like this, where people are attacked for attempting to explain things to others to help them, that has caused many of our older members to disappear. People with a LOT more knowledge then even your normal business traveler. They left because it was a losing battle. People don't want to be told the truth, they don't want to have things explained to them... they just want to complain.

kaytieeldr
08-01-2010, 09:24 PM
I now see how you got to 25K+ posts - by being snarky and argumentative ("Even you would realize...). Very nice. Thank you; actually, I got to 25,000 posts primarily by being knowledgeable and helpful. Since it appears you're familiar with the term, I'd say you definitely qualify as an AESOP. :sad2: Familiar with it? Familiar with it? I created it!!! Read the whole tag! Apparently you're not as amused as it was intended to make people; it was created as a result of numerous posters over these few years asking versions of "what's an OP?" and "what does PP mean?"! Breaking out your spelling and grammar police badge is a nice touch and always comes up from posters such as yourself. :rolleyes1
Thank you for your assessment. My 'grammar and spelling badge' which - aside from not existing - you choose to denigrate, was actually an attempt to HELP the original poster get his communication with AirTran (a) read and (b) taken seriously. I made the same suggestion earlier in this thread, in case you think I'm trying to defend myself after the fact.

A large, single paragraph is hard to read; most people won't bother.
Facts are taken seriously; rants, outbursts, 'a food vendor told me...' etc., not so much.
Proper spelling, grammar, and usage, too, make a letter easier to read and make it more likely a response will be received.

I'm not going to apologize for being educated, or for knowing how to write an effective complaint letter - or for trying to advise a frustrated DISer how to do it.

OhioDisneyDad
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Thank you for your assessment. My 'grammar and spelling badge' which - aside from not existing - you choose to denigrate, was actually an attempt to HELP the original poster get his communication with AirTran (a) read and (b) taken seriously. I made the same suggestion earlier in this thread, in case you think I'm trying to defend myself after the fact.

A large, single paragraph is hard to read; most people won't bother.
Facts are taken seriously; rants, outbursts, 'a food vendor told me...' etc., not so much.
Proper spelling, grammar, and usage, too, make a letter easier to read and make it more likely a response will be received.

I'm not going to apologize for being educated, or for knowing how to write an effective complaint letter.

At least you realize you're being snarky and argumentative. That's enough for me. :hippie:

kaytieeldr
08-01-2010, 09:37 PM
At least you realize you're being snarky and argumentative. That's enough for me. :hippie:
I have an excellent mastery of the English language. I realize neither.

OhioDisneyDad
08-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I have an excellent mastery of the English language. I realize neither.

Well, reading and comprehension ARE two different skills. Don't sweat it.

David 1980
08-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Thank you for the English lesson, when I grow up I hope I am as wise as you are? I did Thank everyone for their advice and said so on many occasions. I just laugh when some of you side with AirTran as if they did nothing wrong? It must be nice to live in a perfect world where all of your dreams come true and nothing every bad happens to you? I am sorry for asking so much out of AirTran, and I will never have to worry about them again. I am tired of this Thread because most of you have taken it to a place, I never asked for it to go. I have a life and do not have time to have 25,000 posts like some experts on this board? Thanks again to all the travel experts, who have made this a learning tool I will use in the future. I wonder Lily with your spare time could you help me write a letter to AirTran , this way I am sure they will read it?? I am not perfect, but could use the help of someone who claims they are Lily WDW.:love::love::love::love::love::love:

LilyWDW
08-01-2010, 10:49 PM
No one has "sided" with Airtran. People have attempted to explain how these things work. They have explained how contacting the customer doesn't always work. They have explained how you could have weather delays even if you personally don't see them. They have explained that you can, in fact, have weather AND mechanical delays mess up the same flight. They have asked for clarification on things that happened. People here tried to help... but instead they are the ones being attacked :confused3

Don't fly Airtran again if that is what you want to do. However, please realize these things can happen with ANY airline. I have had issues with Delta that really peeved me off, but it's a part of traveling in today's world.

But whatever... if someone doesn't want to take the advice from people that know about how these things work (including information from people who travel weekly and people who have intimate knowledge from a pilot), then it is what it is. Hopefully future travel goes smoother for ya.

maxiesmom
08-02-2010, 05:40 AM

I think this post shows who is really the snarky one.:rolleyes1

The thing about the Transportation Board, and a lot of us who hang out here, is that we will not sugar coat anything for you. If you want the facts, and an explanation of why or maybe why something happened the way it did, we are your people. But if all you want to do is rant and rave without having facts to back you up, and then have everyone pick up their pitchforks because you had a bad experience, that is not us.

Do you want to know what is really frustrating? When people try to offer advice, and actually try to explain how things work, and they are called rude or snarky. As has been pointed out many many times, delays happen on all airlines! The OP has no way of knowing if they were lied to, and or by whom. Instead they choose to believe random comments from the food vendor, and wants to use that as proof of what a horrible airline Air Tran is. And that doesn't sound a bit over the top to you?

Would you rather fly knowing the facts of flight and dealing with airlines, or would you rather wear blinders and then when something bad happens be stuck, frustrated, and mad? Because that is what will happen if people want to believe that the OP's experience was just Air Tran being Air Tran, and could
never happen on another airline.

ssawka
08-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Please remember too that the pilot isn't fielding 100 or more complaints and inquiries from irrate passengers! I can't imagine how tiresome it must get trying to remain calm and patient when you have umpteen passengers telling you why they need to get home NOW and there isn't anything you can do about it.

ITA, I was a waiter for many years! ;) I know that that is not exactly the same thing, but it is an example of you being a spokesman for a company to customers. Unfortunately whenever you are in a customer service position you need to deal with customers' complaints. It goes with the territory. However, this would give me even more reason to not "toe the company line" if I know I am being asked to lie to customers, because I know it is I that will be in the line of fire when those customers try to verbally retaliate.

ssawka
08-02-2010, 06:47 AM
Writing letters, and complaining on and on is generally pointless as these kinds of things happen all the time.

Perhaps your right when it comes to complaining to others (such as on this board), however it is every consumers right and responsability to complain to the service provider when they are dissatisfied with the service provided. It's part of being a good consumer!

kaytieeldr
08-02-2010, 07:52 AM
I just laugh when some of you side with AirTran as if they did nothing wrong?I know you're addressing Lily WDW, but nobody is siding with AirTran. I've never been one of their passengers and don't ever intend to be. We're just trying to explain to you why things happen, why things don't happen, and that while a food vendor may observe that their flights are delayed, he shouldn't be your relied-upon source of information.
It must be nice to live in a perfect world where all of your dreams come true and nothing every bad happens to you?
Are you aware how rude and snarky you've been toward a number of posters who've only been trying to help you by providing you with information based on years of experience?

goofy4tink
08-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Arlrighty then...you know, I'm having my own transportation issues..both SW and WDW. And I really don't want to read this stuff. Enough of the spelling and grammatical corrections. This isn't an English class. Not one of you is perfect..not, not even you katieelder!!!
The OP had issues with AirTran. He recounted them. Have others had perfect flights with AirTran? Sure. But others haven't. All we can do is to report our experiences to the best of our abilities. People have different expectations. There is not one perfect airline out there..not one. Please use good manners when discussing other's posts. I am seeing some decided lack of politeness here...and believe me, with me being in WDW, I'm already seeing a ton of nastiness and 'me first' stuff going on.
This thread is closed.