PDA

View Full Version : ABD Backstage Magic 7/31 - 8/5/11

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DisneyKevin
07-29-2010, 11:02 PM
California here we come!

As requested, here is a link to pricing...

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/reservations/abd_input_pc.cfm

PodCast Team Members on this Adventure:
Pete
Walter
Corey
Julie

Announcement (added 08/05/2010)

This adventure is now sold out. If you would like to be added to the waitlist you can email Kevin at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com. Please keep in mind that deposits for all ABD reservations become non-refundable 14 days after the original reservation is booked. This means that it is very unlikely we will have cancellations for this particular adventure.

Announcement (added 08/04/2010)

We are pleased and honored to announce that we have made a special arrangement to have Marty Sklar join us for lunch on one day of our Adventure. This will be exclusive to those booked on this trip. You will be able to talk, ask questions of and interact with Marty in a casual lunch setting. As an added bonus everyone on the Adventure will receive a copy of the book "A Brush with Disney" autographed by Marty Sklar after they return home.

In order to allow everyone a chance to interact with Mr. Sklar we are limiting this Adventure to 30 guests plus the podcast team. Once we reach 30 guests we will no longer accept bookings on this adventure.

Check out Dave Parfitts Blog (http://www.disunplugged.com/2010/08/04/dis-unplugged-exclusive-lunch-with-the-imagineer-marty-sklar/) about this incredible trip and opportunity.

A List of who's Going...

itsmuggsie - Margaret (Muggsie)
*NikkiBell* - Nikki
Shellyminnie - Shelly
ZiggyZ - Jerry
Loni - Dis name TBA
Mr. Figment - Kevin (his parents chose a beautiful name)
Christine (Chris) - Dis name TBA (but for now Mrs. Figment)
NitroStitch - Lisa
DataTully - Paul
Jeff & Stacy in NYC - Jeff & Stacy
PaulaSillars - Paula
jimmaher69 - Jim
Lauramaher71 - Laura
BonnieMB - Bonnie
SaraMC - Sara
Bornteach - Kristin
visualart - David
AllyGirl_79 - Alisia or Ally
Eileen - No Dis Name
sshaw10060 - Scott
DisneyDogLover - Pam
Disney Bruin - Glenn
Olive Oil - Patricia
DisDan26 - Danika
GoofyaboutWDW - Leah
NejTheLion - Jen
Barry - Jen's DF
Debbi - Jen's DM
WebmasterKelsie - Kelsie
DisIvyCo - Sarah (Kelsie's DD)
WebmasterPete - Pete
AKA Scar - Walter
WebmasterCorey - Corey
AuroraJae - Julie

If you would like your name added to the list....just let me know.

paulasillars
07-30-2010, 02:36 AM
Are we there yet? :rotfl2:

Yvet
07-30-2010, 05:41 AM
Almost there....

SaraMc
07-30-2010, 06:59 AM
This time next year I will be on a plane to California!! Im bringing my sister Bonnie with me. She isnt on the boards. ( yet) but Im working on it.

So, so far, its New Zealand, Netherlands and Canada. Its going to be like a small world afterall!:)

Sara

Yvet
07-30-2010, 07:26 AM
So, so far, its New Zealand, Netherlands and Canada. Its going to be like a small world afterall!:)

We have not booked this trip...
It would be a possible date for us but it all depends on what other trips there will be done next year.....

sshaw10060
07-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Pam and I are in! I just plinked down my $600. Now I have to go find the other 3 grand....

paulasillars
07-30-2010, 08:04 PM
We have not booked this trip...
It would be a possible date for us but it all depends on what other trips there will be done next year.....

Hope you guys can make it - it'd be nice to finally meet you instead of just sending Farmville gifts back and forth :rotfl2:

Pam and I are in! I just plinked down my $600. Now I have to go find the other 3 grand....

Yeah ... major bummer but these things have to be done :lmao: I'm planning on dividing it up into monthly payments and plonking down a payment each payday. Then just need to worry about the long haul airfare, travel insurance ($$$ for the US) and what else we are doing as for sure, paying that much for airfare, it'll not just be this tour... thinking San Fran first and driving down to Anaheim.

Just as long as no one starting singing that song, we'll be good! :laughing:

I'm travelling with my Mum, DH decided he wanted to buy a new road bike instead - is he crazy? :rolleyes:

jimmaher69
07-31-2010, 06:23 PM
Can't wait.....only another year to go!

SaraMc
07-31-2010, 07:31 PM
This time next year we will be on our trip!!:cool1:

paulasillars
08-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Work approved my leave request and I've updated my signature.

Guess we are good to go now :rotfl2:

Bornteach
08-01-2010, 08:40 PM
David and I are in. I just need a couple of weeks to save the deposit!

ragtopday
08-02-2010, 08:47 PM
I just got back and I can't even tell you how tempting it is to go again! I'm waiting to hear about the London/Paris/DLP pricing before making any decisions, but I'm thinking......:idea:

NitroStitch
08-02-2010, 08:58 PM
I just got back and I can't even tell you how tempting it is to go again! I'm waiting to hear about the London/Paris/DLP pricing before making any decisions, but I'm thinking......:idea:

I know! I really want to go again, and I keep thinking of how I could maybe save enough in a year to go again... :rotfl:

SaraMc
08-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Im still kind of in shock that we are actually going. Im going to WDW in feb and its the first time my youngest child is getting to go. And then my sister and I on the podcast ABD in July.. ITs going to be 2011, the disney year!!

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-03-2010, 12:55 PM

I know! I really want to go again, and I keep thinking of how I could maybe save enough in a year to go again... :rotfl:

We would LOVE to travel with you folks again! We miss you all already! :grouphug:

paulasillars
08-04-2010, 04:26 AM
I'm guessing now the announcement has been made, this trip will fill pretty quick. Wow!

I'm happy to edit my post at #2 to include those who are confirmed - would this be of any use/interest?

Also, thought it might be good to do a quick intro...

I'm Paula and I'm 36. I'm English by birth but have lived in New Zealand since I was 5. I'm leaving my partner at home to look after the furkids for this trip, he's says he'd rather a new road bike and it won't be the first time I've travelled with out him and dare say it won't be the last ;) By profession, I'm an IT consultant... a geek and I've been totally obsessed by Disney for as long as I can remember and as the years go on, the obsession increases.

I'm traveling with Mum, her name is Marian, she's 65 and works as a volunteer at the local wildlife park. She's not a member of the Dis but I tell her whats going on and she will often listen to the show - usually while we are away on non-Disney trips (it is possible...) :)

I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all, I'm trying to make an effort to make it to the chat room occasionally - just as long as my boss doesn't find out as its the middle of my work day :rolleyes: I'm also on Facebook - should be easy to find and just put you are a Dis friend or similar.

I can hardly wait!

Chropistopy
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
We would LOVE to travel with you folks again! We miss you all already! :grouphug:

Same here but, like Kristen, I'm waiting on the London/Paris info. I don't know that I can manage both trips in one year.

Oh...this time last week...we were playing in the park before open.

WebmasterJohn
08-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Please make sure you check the first post for updates and news on this adventure!!

NitroStitch
08-04-2010, 12:00 PM

I miss all of you too!! And.....WE'RE GOING AGAIN!!! This trip! We already wanted to go again, but Marty Sklar pushed us over the "want to go back" to "MUST GO NOW!" Can't wait to travel with the two of you...and Pete and Walter...and Corey and Julie...and everyone else on the new trip! :dance3:

(we are crazy...good thing we have almost a year to pay for it!!) :lmao:

DisneyKevin
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
If you have already submitted your request....I have it and will be booking it today.

If you have yet to submit your request, the number of available spaces for this date are dwindling.

NitroStitch
08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
If you have already submitted your request....I have it and will be booking it today.

If you have yet to submit your request, the number of available spaces for this date are dwindling.

Whew!! :yay:

SaraMc
08-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Well I too will introduce myself.

Im Sara, Im 35 and am Canadian. I live about a hour outside of Toronto. I will be leaving my two kids and husband behind for this adventure. My DS is 4 and DD is 1. I dont feel too guilty about leaving them behind as we are also going to the world in Feb.

My sister Bonnie lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba and is coming with me on this trip. We love travelling together and when I saw this podcast trip come up we decided we had to do this.

Now she isnt on the boards, but Im trying. She's a geography prof. and very busy but I think it wont be too hard to at least get her to go into chat.

I myself manage a large retail craft store here. I work far to many hours and my staff is all ready hearing me say, you know this time next year.. I'll be in Disneyland.

Cant wait to meet you all!!

mr. figment
08-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Howdy y'all. Kevin and Christine here from Fort Wayne, Indiana. We just got our confirmation that we are signed up to go. Looking forward to this. It'll be my second trip to DL and Christine's first. When I heard the Marty Sklar addition on the way in to work (lumber yard), I knew this was a once in a lifetime experience.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
I miss all of you too!! And.....WE'RE GOING AGAIN!!! This trip! We already wanted to go again, but Marty Sklar pushed us over the "want to go back" to "MUST GO NOW!" Can't wait to travel with the two of you...and Pete and Walter...and Corey and Julie...and everyone else on the new trip! :dance3:

(we are crazy...good thing we have almost a year to pay for it!!) :lmao:

It's a good kind of crazy!:goodvibes We are looking forward to next year already!

NitroStitch
08-04-2010, 07:17 PM
It's a good kind of crazy!:goodvibes We are looking forward to next year already!

It's definitely a good kind of crazy - an expensive kind of crazy, but a good kind!

I haven't even started seriously going through my pictures yet, and I'm already really looking forward to next year too!

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-05-2010, 10:33 AM
It's definitely a good kind of crazy - an expensive kind of crazy, but a good kind!

I haven't even started seriously going through my pictures yet, and I'm already really looking forward to next year too!

It's expensive - no argument there. But worth every single penny! We're already talking about the items we left behind at WED. It feels good knowing we can go back and look for them or similar items.

I am not surprised that you haven't gone through all your pictures - you took a BILLION of them!:)

NitroStitch
08-05-2010, 12:09 PM
It's expensive - no argument there. But worth every single penny! We're already talking about the items we left behind at WED. It feels good knowing we can go back and look for them or similar items.

I am not surprised that you haven't gone through all your pictures - you took a BILLION of them!:)

I completely agree that every penny spent on the ABD trip and the merchandise was worth it! It will be nice to go back to WED with more opportunities to pick up things we left behind - or similar items, like you suggested. :rotfl2:

I probably took around 5,000 pictures on the trip (low for me, probably because of photo restrictions), and I know a bunch will be throwaways. They definitely take a while to go through! Too bad we all have to work for a living and that interferes with the fun!

mr. figment
08-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm relistening to the first podcast show about this ABD tour and I'm not sure if I'm more excited about going on the Disney Dream next year or the ABD trip.

Chropistopy
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I completely agree that every penny spent on the ABD trip and the merchandise was worth it! It will be nice to go back to WED with more opportunities to pick up things we left behind - or similar items, like you suggested. :rotfl2:

I probably took around 5,000 pictures on the trip (low for me, probably because of photo restrictions), and I know a bunch will be throwaways. They definitely take a while to go through! Too bad we all have to work for a living and that interferes with the fun!

WOW!! 5000! I can't wait to see the pictures though.

ragtopday
08-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Sold out - boo hoo! :(

Now I can sit back and live vicariously through Jeff, Stacy, Lisa and Paul who I'd love to travel with again, but will have to be another trip.

Can't wait to see some of those THOUSANDS of photos Lisa!

All those going on this trip - you are going to have an AMAZING trip! But you knew that!

Chropistopy
08-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Wow! Sold out already. You all will have some fabulous travel partners in Jeff, Stacy, Lisa, and Paul. I'm a little envious of everyone going on the trip(s) next year...ok, very much envious. You'll have a great time...its an amazing experience.

jimmaher69
08-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi guys,

I'm Jim, my wife Laura and I will be making our first trip to DL and my first trip to the state.

This will be our 15th anniversary trip and our first time away from our kids (9 & 7).

We look forward to meeting everyone.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Sold out - boo hoo! :(

Now I can sit back and live vicariously through Jeff, Stacy, Lisa and Paul who I'd love to travel with again, but will have to be another trip.

Can't wait to see some of those THOUSANDS of photos Lisa!

All those going on this trip - you are going to have an AMAZING trip! But you knew that!

Wow! Sold out already. You all will have some fabulous travel partners in Jeff, Stacy, Lisa, and Paul. I'm a little envious of everyone going on the trip(s) next year...ok, very much envious. You'll have a great time...its an amazing experience.

WE WILL MISS YOU SOOO MUCH!!! And we will follow you as you travel to London and Paris and/or the podcast cruise (trust me, we'd go if we could!). We will be thinking of you every single step of the way!! And someday when we are able to go on a podcast cruise, we will definitely get together!!

LOVE YOU!!:grouphug:

sshaw10060
08-05-2010, 07:56 PM
We are so excited to be going. I was doing the math today and I think it is cheaper to buy the Disney Deluxe annual pass for next year. I feel so cool.

paulasillars
08-05-2010, 08:04 PM
We are so excited to be going. I was doing the math today and I think it is cheaper to buy the Disney Deluxe annual pass for next year. I feel so cool.

I'm dithering over an AP for DL - we will use it for 2 days and maybe a bit in Oct and thought about going to Anaheim a few days before the ABD trip starts. I just not sure whether we would have had our fill of DL with just the ABD or not.

Is that a dachshund in your pic?

WebmasterCorey
08-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Excited!! Julie and I are looking forward to the trip, even though we don't what we're doing with the kids yet. Sounds like there's going to be a very lucky nanny in Cali!!

NitroStitch
08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm dithering over an AP for DL - we will use it for 2 days and maybe a bit in Oct and thought about going to Anaheim a few days before the ABD trip starts. I just not sure whether we would have had our fill of DL with just the ABD or not.

Having just been on the ABD Backstage Magic trip, I can say that you really don't have time to see all of Disneyland on the tours. It's more about backstage and behind the scenes opportunities, even though we did see a number of attractions during our ABD time. If you do a few days before or after the ABD trip, that will give you more time to do a relaxed tour of the full parks, rather than feeling like you have to close the parks every night to see everything you don't see with the group...like we did! :rotfl:

NitroStitch
08-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Excited!! Julie and I are looking forward to the trip, even though we don't what we're doing with the kids yet. Sounds like there's going to be a very lucky nanny in Cali!!

We're all going to have so much fun on this trip! I'm sure we're all looking forward to touring with you and Julie and Pete and Walter and the rest of the group that's signed up! :cool1:

paulasillars
08-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Having just been on the ABD Backstage Magic trip, I can say that you really don't have time to see all of Disneyland on the tours. It's more about backstage and behind the scenes opportunities, even though we did see a number of attractions during our ABD time. If you do a few days before or after the ABD trip, that will give you more time to do a relaxed tour of the full parks, rather than feeling like you have to close the parks every night to see everything you don't see with the group...like we did! :rotfl:

Ah thanks that helps heaps! That answered my question perfectly! One AP coming up :)

We are so excited to have you and Julie joining us! YAY!

NitroStitch
08-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Ah thanks that helps heaps! That answered my question perfectly! One AP coming up :)

So glad I could help! We were really in a panic once we realized we wouldn't have time to see everything we wanted, and we really pushed ourselves til midnight every night to see more attractions after the ABD portion was done for the day. As it turns out, we were able to see a lot on our final day because we flew out just before midnight that night, but we were totally exhausted. :) Once I shifted my focus from trying to see it all to just thoroughly enjoying the things we saw in depth and catching whatever else we could, I was less panicked. Of course, we're getting an unexpected second shot at seeing what we missed in just under a year!

If we'd had the ability to schedule extra days, we wouldn't have felt so rushed, and we will probably try to do that in July. :cool1:

AllyGirl_79
08-05-2010, 10:00 PM
I can't wait for this trip!! I received an envelope full of forms and info from ABD today -- I was so excited I did a little dance by the mailbox.

Looking forward to meeting Corey, Julie and the rest of our travelling buddies!

paulasillars
08-05-2010, 10:40 PM
So glad I could help! We were really in a panic once we realized we wouldn't have time to see everything we wanted, and we really pushed ourselves til midnight every night to see more attractions after the ABD portion was done for the day. As it turns out, we were able to see a lot on our final day because we flew out just before midnight that night, but we were totally exhausted. :) Once I shifted my focus from trying to see it all to just thoroughly enjoying the things we saw in depth and catching whatever else we could, I was less panicked. Of course, we're getting an unexpected second shot at seeing what we missed in just under a year!

If we'd had the ability to schedule extra days, we wouldn't have felt so rushed, and we will probably try to do that in July. :cool1:

There would definitely be some advantages not rushing though - I love the parks but tend to rush from attraction to attraction so knowing we have the luxury of an AP and time, we can stop and smell the roses and enjoy all the little things that make a Disney trip so special. We'd probably leave late on the last day too, flights from LA to Auckland are usually around 9.30pm or 11pm so it gives us another almost full day of it.

I can't wait for this trip!! I received an envelope full of forms and info from ABD today -- I was so excited I did a little dance by the mailbox.

Ooooo mail too! Better keep a watch on my letterbox - though dare say it'll take a little longer to get to me!

mr. figment
08-06-2010, 05:17 AM

Nitro,

I'm thinking of leaving on Sunday after the ABD portion. That should give us all Friday and Saturday to catch up on what we missed on the prior days and tour/soak in the parks. Do you think that sounds like enough time?

NitroStitch
08-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Nitro,

I'm thinking of leaving on Sunday after the ABD portion. That should give us all Friday and Saturday to catch up on what we missed on the prior days and tour/soak in the parks. Do you think that sounds like enough time?

That should probably be enough time for most people. I think Pete was saying on the podcast that they stayed 3 extra days this time, and 2 were probably enough. You really do get exhausted after all the touring and all the incredible experiences! It's a good problem to have. :)

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-06-2010, 12:32 PM
We're all going to have so much fun on this trip! I'm sure we're all looking forward to touring with you and Julie and Pete and Walter and the rest of the group that's signed up! :cool1:

We agree with you on both of these posts! We are so excited to see Pete and Walter again, as well as meeting Julie and Corey!

We also feel the same about making the most of our time in the parks. Years ago we gave up the "commando" plan in favor of leisurely touring and saving something for the next time. This time we enjoyed being with the ABDers so much that we wanted to do as much with them as possible. So now we are contemplating adding at least one night to the end of the trip. We haven't decided yet. Lisa, what are you and Paul going to do?

NitroStitch
08-06-2010, 12:58 PM
We agree with you on both of these posts! We are so excited to see Pete and Walter again, as well as meeting Julie and Corey!

We also feel the same about making the most of our time in the parks. Years ago we gave up the "commando" plan in favor of leisurely touring and saving something for the next time. This time we enjoyed being with the ABDers so much that we wanted to do as much with them as possible. So now we are contemplating adding at least one night to the end of the trip. We haven't decided yet. Lisa, what are you and Paul going to do?

We don't do commando touring at WDW, but since it was only our second Disneyland trip each, we didn't want to miss anything. :rotfl:

I think we're probably going to try to add hopefully two nights to the end of the trip, but not likely at the Grand Californian rates. I guess it's too early to know what prices will be for that time of year for regular bookings...

mr. figment
08-07-2010, 08:00 AM
This trip has peaked my interest in the California Adventure rehab. Looks like to me the trip is in the middle of the project. I've never been to DCA, but I am looking forward to riding Soarin' while in California and The Monster's Inc. ride. I hear Grizzly Rapids is a good raft ride, but short. Anywho, I'm one day closer to Imagineering and see the Studios! :thumbsup2

NitroStitch
08-07-2010, 02:09 PM
This trip has peaked my interest in the California Adventure rehab. Looks like to me the trip is in the middle of the project. I've never been to DCA, but I am looking forward to riding Soarin' while in California and The Monster's Inc. ride. I hear Grizzly Rapids is a good raft ride, but short. Anywho, I'm one day closer to Imagineering and see the Studios! :thumbsup2

Soarin' in California was really wonderful, and I love the queue there. The Monster's Inc. ride is worth at least two rides, and it's full of details that take a while to take in.

Grizzly River Run seems a lot longer than Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom, and I think it's a more enjoyable ride. I didn't ride it on this trip, but I did on my last DCA trip.

SleepingAriel28
08-07-2010, 02:43 PM
I just wanted to introduce myself since I will be going on the July trip with you guys. My name is Alta aka SleepingAriel28 and I have been on the boards for a while but as more of a lurker than a poster. I'm rather shy at first but once i warm up to people I can be quite the talker. I live in Washington State and work for Boeing. Disney has been a lifetime love of my family and on this trip it's just going to be me and my mother going (a nice mother daughter trip). We have been to both Disneyland and Disney World many times and are DVC members too. Well that is some basic info on me hope to get to you guys and see ya on the trip.

I just got my mother to sign up for the boards so she can talk to other people that are going in July also she is Disneynana03

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-07-2010, 02:54 PM

We didn't know what to think of DCA either on our first trip because we had read so many negative reviews (mostly on other boards). However, we have been there 3 times and enjoyed it each time. DCA in our opinion is definately worth a visit!

We love both Soarin' and the Monster's Inc. ride, but we have yet to try Grizzly River Rapids. We just didn't have time to go on a ride where you could get soaked and then change clothes. We just don't like touring the parks all wet! As soon as we can fit in a ride with time for a costume change, we will.

Two rides we did this year that were first times for us were Tower of Terror and California Screaming. We had not done ToT before because we had heard WDW's was far superior, but we liked it! California Screaming was an awesome ride, and it's a fastpass.

sshaw10060
08-07-2010, 03:35 PM
On our first trip DS was 14 months old he started screaming every time we entered DCA. The only thing he liked was the carousel which he rode about 20 times. I was dizzy by the end of the day.

NitroStitch
08-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I just wanted to introduce myself since I will be going on the July trip with you guys. My name is Alta aka SleepingAriel28 and I have been on the boards for a while but as more of a lurker than a poster. I'm rather shy at first but once i warm up to people I can be quite the talker. I live in Washington State and work for Boeing. Disney has been a lifetime love of my family and on this trip it's just going to be me and my mother going (a nice mother daughter trip). We have been to both Disneyland and Disney World many times and are DVC members too. Well that is some basic info on me hope to get to you guys and see ya on the trip.

I just got my mother to sign up for the boards so she can talk to other people that are going in July also she is Disneynana03

Wow, it's a small world after all - I know someone who lives in Renton! Pretty place... I tend to be shy until I get to know people too, so I understand that. One thing we enjoyed on our trip was that we all got to know each other a bit before our trip, through our message board thread and through online chats and sharing our photos on the message board. Then we became fast friends, and it's always easy to talk to other people who love Disney as much as we do!

NitroStitch
08-07-2010, 03:51 PM
We didn't know what to think of DCA either on our first trip because we had read so many negative reviews (mostly on other boards). However, we have been there 3 times and enjoyed it each time. DCA in our opinion is definately worth a visit!

We love both Soarin' and the Monster's Inc. ride, but we have yet to try Grizzly River Rapids. We just didn't have time to go on a ride where you could get soaked and then change clothes. We just don't like touring the parks all wet! As soon as we can fit in a ride with time for a costume change, we will.

I loved DCA even in its original form, although I guess I can see how people from California may be less excited about seeing depictions of California in the parks. Maybe. I think DCA is a lot of fun, and I really enjoy how each land is themed.

I don't like getting wet in my clothes at all anymore, so I'm the one wearing a poncho on the wet rides! Laugh all you want, I'll be dry or pretty close to it. :rotfl: We didn't carry our ponchos with us daily, so we didn't end up riding GRR this trip. :)

paulasillars
08-07-2010, 05:00 PM

It'll be interesting to see the changes at DCA mid rehab and there are quite a few things that have changed since we were last there in Oct 2005 anyway. Also at DL, the submarines are now open which I remember from when I was a child so looking forward to seeing that too.

Hi Alta - nice to meet you and look forward to meeting your Mom. I don't think I'll get mine to join but I'll keeping her updated on whats happening.

Where do you own for DVC? We own at SSR.

I've never ridden Grizzly River Rapids, the thought of being soaking wet and touring just doesn't appeal and when we were staying at DGC, it wasn't warm enough to ride and get wet so maybe in July it might be just hot enough for me to be brave. Though, I think I might wear something a little less transparent when wet than my Disboards t-shirt for that one, else some may end up with a show they didn't want to see :rotfl2:

I tend to be shy until I get to know people too, so I understand that. One thing we enjoyed on our trip was that we all got to know each other a bit before our trip, through our message board thread and through online chats and sharing our photos on the message board. Then we became fast friends, and it's always easy to talk to other people who love Disney as much as we do!

I can be quite quiet when I first meet people, though I'm a real chatterbox once I get started. I'm a very social person but takes me a little while to warm up and feel comfortable.

I loved DCA even in its original form, although I guess I can see how people from California may be less excited about seeing depictions of California in the parks. Maybe. I think DCA is a lot of fun, and I really enjoy how each land is themed.

I totally agree with all of this! I loved DCA as it was and I'm so happy that its different to the Florida parks and they didn't just cookie cutter it. The only section I'm not so in love with is the carnival type rides/attractions but I'm sure some people like them.

SleepingAriel28
08-09-2010, 02:47 PM
It'll be interesting to see the changes at DCA mid rehab and there are quite a few things that have changed since we were last there in Oct 2005 anyway. Also at DL, the submarines are now open which I remember from when I was a child so looking forward to seeing that too.

Hi Alta - nice to meet you and look forward to meeting your Mom. I don't think I'll get mine to join but I'll keeping her updated on whats happening.

Where do you own for DVC? We own at SSR.

I've never ridden Grizzly River Rapids, the thought of being soaking wet and touring just doesn't appeal and when we were staying at DGC, it wasn't warm enough to ride and get wet so maybe in July it might be just hot enough for me to be brave. Though, I think I might wear something a little less transparent when wet than my Disboards t-shirt for that one, else some may end up with a show they didn't want to see :rotfl2:

I can be quite quiet when I first meet people, though I'm a real chatterbox once I get started. I'm a very social person but takes me a little while to warm up and feel comfortable.

I totally agree with all of this! I loved DCA as it was and I'm so happy that its different to the Florida parks and they didn't just cookie cutter it. The only section I'm not so in love with is the carnival type rides/attractions but I'm sure some people like them.
We own at the Animal Kingdom Lodge I love the savannah view we have there sometimes I’ll sit on the balcony area and just watch the animals for a little bit.

We have stayed at SSR before they have some nice rooms but I didn’t like the food options there.

BTW I love GGR I think it is so much better that kali river rapids much longer and you get 2 drop instead of 1. My family once went on it 5 times in a row (which was only possible because we were in the handicap accessible one and no one was waiting to get on at the so we said can we go again).

mr. figment
08-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Got my paperwork today. :thumbsup2 One step closer. I've been using the e-Ticket DL app to make my list of must do's already. I'm excited to compare attractions between WDW and DL, plus experience the ones WDW does not have. Seems to me DL will be like experiencing for the first time a place you already know.

By the way, we're DVC owners and D23 members too. I've had a lot of Disney Kool-aid over the past couple of years. We own at two resorts, BWV and BLT. Stayed at BLT this past June and really liked it.

NitroStitch
08-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Got my paperwork today. :thumbsup2 One step closer. I've been using the e-Ticket DL app to make my list of must do's already. I'm excited to compare attractions between WDW and DL, plus experience the ones WDW does not have. Seems to me DL will be like experiencing for the first time a place you already know.

By the way, we're DVC owners and D23 members too. I've had a lot of Disney Kool-aid over the past couple of years. We own at two resorts, BWV and BLT. Stayed at BLT this past June and really liked it.

We got our paperwork yesterday! DL is similar in a lot of places to WDW and yet it isn't. Even for the attractions that are on both sides of the country, there are lots of differences, and lands and attractions aren't exactly where you expect them to be. It's all really good. :thumbsup2

Wow, our two DVC home resorts are BWV and BLT too! We haven't been able to stay at BLT yet, but hope to manage it sometime soon. We haven't been planning far enough ahead this past year to really get a shot at it yet. And we're D23 members too - we were planning to do the D23 event next year, but we'll be doing the ABD trip instead. :cool1:

SaraMc
08-11-2010, 04:32 AM
We got our paperwork yesterday! DL is similar in a lot of places to WDW and yet it isn't. Even for the attractions that are on both sides of the country, there are lots of differences, and lands and attractions aren't exactly where you expect them to be. It's all really good. :thumbsup2

Wow, our two DVC home resorts are BWV and BLT too! We haven't been able to stay at BLT yet, but hope to manage it sometime soon. We haven't been planning far enough ahead this past year to really get a shot at it yet. And we're D23 members too - we were planning to do the D23 event next year, but we'll be doing the ABD trip instead. :cool1:

If we all get new nikes when we arrive.. Im drinking the kool aid too. Im D23 as well. Not DVC yet. Still working on DH for that.

mr. figment
08-11-2010, 12:15 PM
we were planning to do the D23 event next year, but we'll be doing the ABD trip instead. :cool1:

Same here. I was thinking about going, but this ABD trip sounds so much cooler!

mr. figment
08-11-2010, 12:17 PM
If we all get new nikes when we arrive.. Im drinking the kool aid too. Im D23 as well. Not DVC yet. Still working on DH for that.

Actually it won't be new Nikes, but we'll have to get the same Bibbidty Bobbity Boutique package. :lmao:

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
We mailed our consent forms. It's so exciting, everyone, the trip is on!! :banana:

The only thing left to do is the airplane. However, we can't decide what to do about adding on nights. Are any of you folks adding on time?

We can't wait to meet everyone in person. I love being able to get to know you all on the boards!:goodvibes

*NikkiBell*
08-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi All,

Just thought I'd pop on over to say I'll be joining you on this ABD trip. I just got back from a week at DLR and loved it. I'm looking forward to seeing you next summer! :)

Nikki

paulasillars
08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
We mailed our consent forms. It's so exciting, everyone, the trip is on!! :banana:

The only thing left to do is the airplane. However, we can't decide what to do about adding on nights. Are any of you folks adding on time?

We can't wait to meet everyone in person. I love being able to get to know you all on the boards!:goodvibes

I mailed back my consent forms on Monday too :)

We will most likely be adding days at well but probably before the trip as we have tentatively talked about flying into SF, spending a few days there and then driving down to LA.

We'll probably fly out of LAX on the Friday night the trip ends as that will get us back to New Zealand on Sunday morning NZ time (we loose Saturday going over the dateline) and then back to work on the Monday.

The advantage with travelling in July for us is that its our winter so it gives us a nice warm weather holiday.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I mailed back my consent forms on Monday too :)

We will most likely be adding days at well but probably before the trip as we have tentatively talked about flying into SF, spending a few days there and then driving down to LA.

We'll probably fly out of LAX on the Friday night the trip ends as that will get us back to New Zealand on Sunday morning NZ time (we loose Saturday going over the dateline) and then back to work on the Monday.

The advantage with travelling in July for us is that its our winter so it gives us a nice warm weather holiday.

:thumbsup2That sounds super! Do you think you'll fit in a stop at the Disney Family Museum while you are in SF? I've heard such wonderful things about it. That would be such a special way to start the festivities!!

paulasillars
08-11-2010, 07:02 PM
:thumbsup2That sounds super! Do you think you'll fit in a stop at the Disney Family Museum while you are in SF? I've heard such wonderful things about it. That would be such a special way to start the festivities!!

I definitely hope to and also visit Alcatraz. We've never been to SF so hope to spend a good few days there to look around and get a real feel for the city.

Also hope to take it slow driving down so we can stop and visit places along the way.

SaraMc
08-11-2010, 07:19 PM

Hi Jeff and Stacy,

my sister and I are adding on one day before, just with flights we want to make sure we are there with some time to spare. And perhaps a little In and Out burger too.

mr. figment
08-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Sending off our forms this morning. Another step closer. I am concerned about this trip. I am afraid that I will like it too much. Then I will be conflicted on whether to go to a Disney Park, take a cruise or take an ABD trip for a vacation. I'm kidding, but am thankful in this day and age, we can afford to take a vacation.

Anyone know how full the other trips are?

NitroStitch
08-12-2010, 06:59 AM

We would love to add a couple of days at the end, so we'll be trying to do that. :)

Hi All,

Just thought I'd pop on over to say I'll be joining you on this ABD trip. I just got back from a week at DLR and loved it. I'm looking forward to seeing you next summer! :)

Nikki

Yay! I'll look forward to meeting you in person, and reading more book club selections in the meantime.

Sending off our forms this morning. Another step closer. I am concerned about this trip. I am afraid that I will like it too much. Then I will be conflicted on whether to go to a Disney Park, take a cruise or take an ABD trip for a vacation. I'm kidding, but am thankful in this day and age, we can afford to take a vacation.

Anyone know how full the other trips are?

You may indeed become addicted to ABD. We just got back from our trip a few weeks ago, and we're signed up for this one. :rotfl2: With the price, we were sure the first trip would be a once in a lifetime trip. AND they really do spoil you on the trip! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

sshaw10060
08-12-2010, 08:04 AM
I think we are planning to come in one day early and visit the coast for the day and stay two days after to see the parks.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Paula: That sounds like a great way to start off the trip. :thumbsup2 Jeff has been to SF, but I haven't. Some day we'll get there together. I'm dying to see the museum!

Sara: Jeff wanted to fit in a stop at In-n-Out on our last trip, but we just couldn't do it. This itinerary really keeps you on the go! Just one extra day is something to consider.:scratchin

Lisa: We also want to have time at the end, because we are soo exhausted!:cool1: And that'll give me time to plan my packing; you know how much I love LAX!!

Hi Nikki!! Can't wait to meet you in person!!:yay:

Mr. Figment: Absolutely, this trip is incredibly addicting! We signed up for this past July trip in May and haven't stopped talking about it since!! The day we got home, we signed up for this one. It's an amazing experience!

*NikkiBell*
08-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Morning Friends!

What's on everyone's agenda for the day? I'm still suffering from major jet lag thanks to my Cali trip, but am hoping to get a few things done. I woke up at 10:40 this morning!! -gasp- Not a good start, I know.

The school year is coming closer and closer as we speak. For those of you who do not know, I teach fifth grade reading and language arts and absolutely love my job. I'm excited to go back, but we don't until early September.

I'm hoping to add two or three days to the end of the ABD trip for extra park time. I'm more than likely going to use my DVC points and just stay at the Grand. It was nice when I spent some time there last week with friends. Storyteller's breakfast was also great.

Speaking of which, as time gets closer would anyone be interesting in planning a character meal for us all? I think a breakfast could be fun. :thumbsup2

Have a good day, all!

Nikki

sshaw10060
08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
I just used Marriott points to get a night pre-ABD at the Renaissance. The point cost seemed cheap for the location/quality of the hotel.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-12-2010, 03:08 PM
The school year is coming closer and closer as we speak. For those of you who do not know, I teach fifth grade reading and language arts and absolutely love my job. I'm excited to go back, but we don't until early September.
Nikki

It's a small world after all! Jeff and I are teachers, too! We both teach 6th grade Language Arts, though he usually has to split his program with Spanish as well.

We just can't make up our minds about the extra nights! :confused3

*NikkiBell*
08-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Very cool! That's something we have in common then. :)

I still need to look up how much per night it is at the Grand.

SleepingAriel28
08-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi Jeff and Stacy,

my sister and I are adding on one day before, just with flights we want to make sure we are there with some time to spare. And perhaps a little In and Out burger too.

I think that we are gonna arrive the night before maybe even Friday night and then stay until the following Sunday since i have to go back to work on Monday i can only take 5 days off of work.

DisneyKevin
08-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Speaking of which, as time gets closer would anyone be interesting in planning a character meal for us all? I think a breakfast could be fun. :thumbsup2

Something to keep in mind...

One morning, you have a character breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen and the Farewell Breakfast is at Storyteller's at the Grand,

Not trying to talk you out of booking a reservation, just letting you know that two of them are already covered.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

paulasillars
08-12-2010, 05:15 PM

One morning, you have a character breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen and the Farewell Breakfast is at Storyteller's at the Grand,

Not trying to talk you out of booking a reservation, just letting you know that two of them are already covered.

Besides, by the looks of things, we have more characters on this trip that should be legally allowed :rotfl2:

*NikkiBell*
08-12-2010, 07:41 PM

Okay, that's settled then! We don't have to plan it! :thumbsup2

We did Storyteller's and PCH Grill this week. I'm looking forward to trying Goofy's now. :)

Besides, by the looks of things, we have more characters on this trip that should be legally allowed :rotfl2:

What do you mean? Kevin's not going. :rotfl2:

shellyminnie
08-12-2010, 07:54 PM
What do you mean? Kevin's not going. :rotfl2:

No . . . but we do have Pete and the shrimp stealer (aka Walter)!! :lmao:

*NikkiBell*
08-12-2010, 07:56 PM
:lmao:

NitroStitch
08-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Very cool! That's something we have in common then. :)

I still need to look up how much per night it is at the Grand.

I think they mentioned the cost for cash reservations through ABD, and it was pretty pricey. Trying to weigh the alternatives available and come up with a semi-affordable plan. :rotfl:

*NikkiBell*
08-12-2010, 08:35 PM
There's no way I'm paying $500 for a cash ressie. I remember hearing that on the show, too. I'm going to use DVC points...hopefully. :)

shellyminnie
08-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm in!! :cool1:

Hi . . .I'm Dory . .

Just kidding, my name is Shelly and I'm a disneyholic!! :lmao:

Although I've been to WDW wayyyy too many times to count (I'm headed over Saturday for the day), I have NEVER been to Disneyland!! :scared1:

I am sooooo excited!! Not only because it's a once in a lifetime trip, but because I'm going with some good friends and hopefully some new ones!! I can't wait to spend the next year getting to know everyone! It's going to be a awesome trip!!

Oh, and I'm rooming with Nikki (LORD HELP ME!!!) :happytv: :goodvibes

*NikkiBell*
08-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I saw that, Shelly!!! No Cheshire Cat Tail for you! :lmao:

shellyminnie
08-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I saw that, Shelly!!! No Cheshire Cat Tail for you! :lmao:

Good!! Those don't look very appetizing . .:sick:

NitroStitch
08-12-2010, 09:04 PM
There's no way I'm paying $500 for a cash ressie. I remember hearing that on the show, too. I'm going to use DVC points...hopefully. :)

That's the price I thought I heard - not happening for us either. Using DVC points would be one of our options too, so we're trying to figure out whether it's better to attempt to stay on DVC points or if we'd be better off saving points for something else and paying cash at one of the other Disneyland Resorts. :confused:

*NikkiBell*
08-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Good!! Those don't look very appetizing . .:sick:

Uh huh. Until you try one and are :cloud9: :)

That's the price I thought I heard - not happening for us either. Using DVC points would be one of our options too, so we're trying to figure out whether it's better to attempt to stay on DVC points or if we'd be better off saving points for something else and paying cash at one of the other Disneyland Resorts. :confused:

I'm stretching the dollar with this trip as it is so I have to use DVC points. lol I just looked now for a studio at the Grand...

8/5-8/8 - 90
8/5-8/7 - 64

That's a pretty big difference so I'll probably do the second option. :)

SaraMc
08-12-2010, 10:05 PM
My sister is a teacher too. She is a university professor and is coming as well on the trip.
I myself am a retail manager. Its the perfect time for me to go on vacation its not to busy at work.

SaraMc
08-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Walter can have my shrimp. :eek: Im not a fan.

NitroStitch
08-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Uh huh. Until you try one and are :cloud9: :)

I'm stretching the dollar with this trip as it is so I have to use DVC points. lol I just looked now for a studio at the Grand...

8/5-8/8 - 90
8/5-8/7 - 64

That's a pretty big difference so I'll probably do the second option. :)

The stretched dollars are the main reason we're looking at using points too. With so few villas available and it not being our home resort, I am a bit worried about getting in without the 11 month window. Whatever will be will be! And we'll be there! :goodvibes

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-12-2010, 10:35 PM
My sister is a teacher too. She is a university professor and is coming as well on the trip.
I myself am a retail manager. Its the perfect time for me to go on vacation its not to busy at work.

Excellent!! Jeff and I met working at the Disney Store way back when, in college and while subbing before we were hired full time! We will have TONS to talk about!:yay:

BonnieMB
08-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Walter can have my shrimp. :eek: Im not a fan.

Hey I figured it out and now I'm on DISer too. :goodvibes
But Sara no no no - your shrimp are MINE baby! Walter has serious competition! :rolleyes1

SaraMc
08-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Hey I figured it out and now I'm on DISer too. :goodvibes
But Sara no no no - your shrimp are MINE baby! Walter has serious competition! :rolleyes1

Everyone, I introduce my sister.

SaraMc
08-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Excellent!! Jeff and I met working at the Disney Store way back when, in college and while subbing before we were hired full time! We will have TONS to talk about!:yay:

Another thing in common!, I was a CM at the Disney Store too. I was there from 1994-2001. I was opening team of Limeridge Mall, In Hamilton Ont and then went to Yorkdale Mall in Toronto, ON when DH and I finished University.

*NikkiBell*
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Morning ABDers!! :)

It's a beautiful 71 degrees here on the Jersey Shore! That was definitely a surprise after several weeks of horrid heat waves. I'm wondering if I brought the cool weather from Cali!

What's everyone up to today? I'm still jet lagged, but trying to push through. I need to catch up on the book club selection. Vacation got in the way. I also have a few things to do for work. Hopefully I'll get the urge to do them! ;)

Nikki

itsmuggsie
08-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi Folks!! I'm Margaret friends call me Muggsie. I will be solo on this trip. Like Shelly, I've been to WDW more times then I can count, and I'll also be over there on Saturday, friends are down and we are spending the say with them.

I've been to Disneyland once about 4 years ago. Loved it!! I'm so excited about this trip. I'm looking forward to meeting new friends.

We're trying to decide about staying a few days extra and having my DP and DD come and join me. Not sure if we could swing that.

SleepingAriel28
08-13-2010, 10:22 AM

It's a beautiful 71 degrees here on the Jersey Shore! That was definitely a surprise after several weeks of horrid heat waves. I'm wondering if I brought the cool weather from Cali!

What's everyone up to today? I'm still jet lagged, but trying to push through. I need to catch up on the book club selection. Vacation got in the way. I also have a few things to do for work. Hopefully I'll get the urge to do them! ;)

Nikki

Well right now it is 62 here is Renton, Wa but it's suppose to get to up to 82 degrees today. So far my plans for the day include go to work at Boeing and getting ready to go to the PNW mouse meet tomorrow. Its going to be very cool to see all the special guest they are suppose to have there like Lou Mongello and the live action reference model for Tinkerbell Margret Kerry and many more people. i here there are even going to be storm troopers there.....

P.S. Anyone can have my shrimp I don't care for them

BonnieMB
08-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Nikki

Hi Everyone :surfweb: It is a rainy day in the centre of the continent, but the first day under 30C (I think that's about 80-85F) in weeks. Thank goodness 'cause the air-conditioner is gonna konk out if this kept up!:scared1:
I'm sitting here procrastinating from writing an article - academic stuff. Praying to the muses for inspiration :worship:
Dreaming of WDW in Feb, and of COURSE our trip in July.

:dance3:

BonnieMB
08-13-2010, 11:29 AM
:confused: So I'd like to add the nametag buttons as countdown tickers to our Feb trip to WDW and of course the July 2011 ABD trip. How do I do that?

Have puzzled over it and now my puzzler is sore. Help!:confused3

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Another thing in common!, I was a CM at the Disney Store too. I was there from 1994-2001. I was opening team of Limeridge Mall, In Hamilton Ont and then went to Yorkdale Mall in Toronto, ON when DH and I finished University.

:mickeyjumWOW!! I worked in Woodbridge from 1990 to 1998; I just missed opening by a couple of months (school got in the way, lol!). I met Jeff there when he started in 1993. He also helped open a store; the one in Mays Landing. This is too exciting! Talk about small world! We will have so much to discuss!!

BonnieMB
08-13-2010, 11:41 AM
:surfweb:
So I thought I better properly introduce myself so you don't think I'm just another Shrimp Stealer :rotfl:

I am the older sister of SaraMc. We won't say how much older :rolleyes1

I'm a professor, but don't let my job let you think I'm some stuffy academic. Not me at all. There is a reason my avatar is Tigger! The DH is an analyst for the provincial medical association. The DS is (gasp) 19 in 2 weeks and currently is working and looking for a new place to live with a few buddies. We have two 'furbabies' :) Tigger (aka Stinky Old Boy) and Mitzi (aka Cute But Stoopid) Kat.

Our Feb trip to WDW will be my 5th trip there: first was the winter of 1974/75 (can't remember date) with parents, not again until 2005 with SaraMc and crew, then 2007 again, and one trip, the 'No Boys Allowed' tour with just sister SaraMc and me :dance3:
July 2011 will be my first trip to Disneyland, even though I lived in Northern California with the DH and DS between 1997-2001. Can't wait to spend such a great vacation with my seeester!:yay:

itsmuggsie
08-13-2010, 11:44 AM
:mickeyjumWOW!! I worked in Woodbridge from 1990 to 1998; I just missed opening by a couple of months (school got in the way, lol!). I met Jeff there when he started in 1993. He also helped open a store; the one in Mays Landing. This is too exciting! Talk about small world! We will have so much to discuss!!

Do you mean the store in Woodbridge, NJ? My DP Cindy worked at that store from 1996-1997. I grew up in Woodbridge (Iselin).

*NikkiBell*
08-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Muggsie, I didn't know yougusts were from Woodbridge! That's about 20 minutes from me. My dad used to manage a shoe store there so we were always at that mall. I usually go to Monmouth or Freehold now though. How funny is that!

NitroStitch
08-13-2010, 12:50 PM

Nikki

Oh, I'm jealous of all of you who're finally getting more reasonable temperatures! We should get them by....late November? Maybe? :lmao:

I'm far behind on the book club selection this time - just read the opening few paragraphs before I had to stop. Hopefully I will catch up some this weekend!

I'm Lisa and my husband is Paul, and we loved the July 2010 ABD trip so much that once Marty Sklar was added, we couldn't say no to next year. Now we just have to eat beans and rice for a year to pay for it. :rotfl2:

We're in Florida, so we're at WDW quite a lot of times during the year. We've only been to Disneyland twice, and we're very excited to be going again in a little under a year! Maybe by then, I'll have gone through all of my pictures from the last trip. :laughing:

DisneyKevin
08-13-2010, 12:57 PM
I have added a list of those traveling on the ABD who have givem me permission to add their names.

If you would like me to add yours.....just drop me an email at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Do you mean the store in Woodbridge, NJ? My DP Cindy worked at that store from 1996-1997. I grew up in Woodbridge (Iselin).

OMG!! Yes! I grew up in South Plainfield. I'm sorry, but I'm can't remember a Cindy, though. In '96 I worked mostly at night, after subbing, but I still did weekends. If she remembers my store at all, you can say I did a lot of folding! I got married while I was still at the store, and we invited some of the cast to our wedding. I left in November of '97 after I was hired to teach full time. Now I'm going nuts trying to remember people from that last year!

itsmuggsie
08-13-2010, 03:14 PM
OMG!! Yes! I grew up in South Plainfield. I'm sorry, but I'm can't remember a Cindy, though. In '96 I worked mostly at night, after subbing, but I still did weekends. If she remembers my store at all, you can say I did a lot of folding! I got married while I was still at the store, and we invited some of the cast to our wedding. I left in November of '97 after I was hired to teach full time. Now I'm going nuts trying to remember people from that last year!

She does remember you as the folder! :laughing: She worked only a few days a week, nights and weekends. She wants to know if Jeff was the one that Mark, the manager made him wear paper towels in his shoes so it looked like he was wearing socks. :lmao:

itsmuggsie
08-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Muggsie, I didn't know yougusts were from Woodbridge! That's about 20 minutes from me. My dad used to manage a shoe store there so we were always at that mall. I usually go to Monmouth or Freehold now though. How funny is that!

I love Freehold mall. I'll be in your neck of the woods the end of October, visiting family. My mom now lives in Aberdeen.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-13-2010, 05:00 PM
She does remember you as the folder! :laughing: She worked only a few days a week, nights and weekends. She wants to know if Jeff was the one that Mark, the manager made him wear paper towels in his shoes so it looked like he was wearing socks. :lmao:

:rotfl:oh no!! Definitely not Jeff!! If you mean Mark the assistant manager, Jeff did not know him! Jeff left the store in '95! I'm trying so hard to remember people from that last year, but it's so hard. I was a newlywed in a new town with a brand new job. I hated to leave but I had to focus my energy on becoming a good teacher and wife! I'd love to hear more if she can remember any other details!!:love:

*NikkiBell*
08-13-2010, 06:19 PM
I have added a list of those traveling on the ABD who have givem me permission to add their names.

If you would like me to add yours.....just drop me an email at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

I have a capital "N" and a capital "B" in my name. I'm glad you didn't forget the asterisks. :rolleyes1 -running-

I love Freehold mall. I'll be in your neck of the woods the end of October, visiting family. My mom now lives in Aberdeen.

Wow at all of the current or past Jerzy DISers on this adventure! This is going to be one big Jerzy-fest!

Other than muggsie who already said so (btw, Aberdeen is the next town over from me...I just met a DISer from there last month at a meet), will anyone be in the area this fall? I was thinking of organizing another Jerzy meet and would love to have some future adventurers join us! :thumbsup2

DisneyKevin
08-13-2010, 08:17 PM
I have a capital "N" and a capital "B" in my name. I'm glad you didn't forget the asterisks. :rolleyes1 -running-

Wouldnt it be sad if you got all the way to California and they couldnt find your name on the list?:scared1:

shellyminnie
08-13-2010, 08:28 PM

Wouldnt it be sad if you got all the way to California and they couldnt find your name on the list?:scared1:

DISCLAIMER: Any comments made by Nikki and Nikki's and her's alone - - - I as her roommate am not responsible for what comes out of her mouth! I'm an :littleangel: afterall!! :happytv:

*NikkiBell*
08-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Kevin, then you'd be getting a whole lotta phone calls. ;)

Shelly...Yeah right!!! :lmao: :lmao: You are going to give people a bad impression of me.:P *I* am the angel. :)

shellyminnie
08-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Shelly...Yeah right!!! :lmao: :lmao: You are going to give people a bad impression of me.:P *I* am the angel. :)

WHATEVER! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

DisneyKevin
08-13-2010, 08:43 PM

Two words.....

Caller Identification

:thumbsup2

Now be good and stop being a fussbudget.;)

Shelly...make your room mate behave.

*NikkiBell*
08-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Fussbudget? :rotfl: :lmao:

You just aged yourself beyond belief there, mister!!!!

:rotfl2: :dance3:

For those of you who do not know already, Kevin and I have a "special" relationship. ;)

shellyminnie
08-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Shelly...make your room mate behave.

:lmao: Any suggestions on how to do that??? That's a WHOLE lot easier said than done!!

Bornteach
08-13-2010, 09:38 PM

I just threw up a little! That is not a halo hunny! :LOL:

Bornteach
08-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Hi All! I am Kristin. My DH, David and I will be joining this merry bunch!

I am an Elementary Assistant Principal and my husband teachers HS art.
We have 3 children, Spencer 18, Molly 6, and Cole, 4.

We can't wait for this to begin!!!

*NikkiBell*
08-13-2010, 10:09 PM
I just threw up a little! That is not a halo hunny! :LOL:

:lmao::lmao::lmao: I have no idea what you are talking about! ;)

Bornteach
08-13-2010, 10:24 PM
:lmao::lmao::lmao: I have no idea what you are talking about! ;)

See lying AND being a teacher! tsk tsk tsk!

DisneyKevin
08-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Public Service Announcement....

This is the ABD July 31st - August 5th discussion thread

*NikkiBell*
08-14-2010, 09:13 AM
:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :rolleyes:

Morning All!

It's another nice day here in Jersey. I was online last night checking out the two hotels we'll be staying at and found the services list for the spas at both the Renaissance and Grand Californian. I've posted them below in case someone was interested.

Spa Luce
http://renaissancehollywood.com/spaluce.asp

Mandara Spa
http://www.mandaraspa.com/spa/Anaheim-Disney-s-Grand-Californian-Hotel.aspx

mr. figment
08-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks, Nikki. I just told Chris how strange it was that the ABD trip was staying at two hotels without spas. Dang it!

Hey, I was looking at the reading list for this trip. Are these books worth reading? Any thoughts?

*NikkiBell*
08-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Haha. I am a spa addict, but haven't had the extra cash the past few trips. I'm hoping I can swing at least something by ABD. ;)

I was really surprised that a reading list was included. How cool is that? I have a few of them on there and am planning on looking for the others. I think they'll only add to the experience. :thumbsup2

DisneyKevin
08-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Haha. I am a spa addict, but haven't had the extra cash the past few trips. I'm hoping I can swing at least something by ABD. ;)

I was really surprised that a reading list was included. How cool is that? I have a few of them on there and am planning on looking for the others. I think they'll only add to the experience. :thumbsup2

I realize that this is almost a year away....and no one will remember my prediction....but here goes.......

There is so much to see and do....and you get up so early......and you go all day......and you still dont have enough time to fit in everything that you want to fit in....and you have all these fast passes....and everyone else is going to the......that NO ONE will even think about visiting a spa.

Just my prediction.:thumbsup2

*NikkiBell*
08-14-2010, 10:30 PM
I thought of that totally, but many of us will be adding on days at the Grand once ABD is over. :rolleyes1 Gotta love DVC!

Besides, once you've visited a GOOD spa, you always think about going back to one. :thumbsup2

SaraMc
08-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks, Nikki. I just told Chris how strange it was that the ABD trip was staying at two hotels without spas. Dang it!

Hey, I was looking at the reading list for this trip. Are these books worth reading? Any thoughts?

Wait, we have homework? Cool.. What do we have to read? BonnieMB has all our paperwork. I dont have enought time to catch up on my D23's...

paulasillars
08-15-2010, 01:29 AM

I'm vegetarian so Walter (or someone else) will be forced to eat my share :rotfl2:

There are a lot of motels/hotels in walking distance that are much more economical albeit mostly not of the same standard as the Disney ones. We stayed at the Ramada "Saga" a few years back and unless they have renovated it was fabulously themed as "flea pit" and I'm not sure if they had rooms available by the hour but it wouldn't have surprised me. But heck it was cheap, clean and a very short walk... the Hojo was much nicer in comparison - I'm talking about at least 5 years back so things may have changed.

Hi Everyone :surfweb: It is a rainy day in the centre of the continent, but the first day under 30C (I think that's about 80-85F) in weeks. Thank goodness 'cause the air-conditioner is gonna konk out if this kept up!:scared1:
I'm sitting here procrastinating from writing an article - academic stuff. Praying to the muses for inspiration :worship:
Dreaming of WDW in Feb, and of COURSE our trip in July.

Still cold, wet and winter here in the southern hemisphere. But we are less than 30 sleeps until we do the Westbound Transatlantic cruise so its starting to become more real - we booked it October 2008.

:confused: So I'd like to add the nametag buttons as countdown tickers to our Feb trip to WDW and of course the July 2011 ABD trip. How do I do that?

Have puzzled over it and now my puzzler is sore. Help!:confused3

Go to Distickers.com, create your ticker and then edit your signature and insert the code - feel free to PM me if you need more explicit instructions.

I am the older sister of SaraMc. We won't say how much older :rolleyes1

I'm a professor, but don't let my job let you think I'm some stuffy academic. Not me at all. There is a reason my avatar is Tigger! The DH is an analyst for the provincial medical association. The DS is (gasp) 19 in 2 weeks and currently is working and looking for a new place to live with a few buddies.

If it makes you feel better, we can pretend you were a child bride ;) And its nice to meet you Bonnie - I've chatted with Sara a few times in the chatroom so hope you can join us sometime!

For those of you who do not know already, Kevin and I have a "special" relationship.

:scared1: ... sneaking away quietly...

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-15-2010, 09:35 AM

If you are a fan of the Muppets or Sesame Street, then the Jim Henson book is a great choice! The Illusion of Life is also excellent. The book that I highly recommend (but it's not on the list) is Neil Gabler's biography of Walt Disney. I love it!

BonnieMB
08-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the helpful advice paulasillers re: the tickers. Will try again to get it to work properly.
And yes, I was a mere infant when the DS came along!! :)
That's my story and I'm sticking with it :D
Love to chat some time - will get info from Sara and try to coordinate - maybe when you return from your latest travels?

BonnieMB
08-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Wait, we have homework? Cool.. What do we have to read? BonnieMB has all our paperwork. I dont have enought time to catch up on my D23's...

Yeah we do - it is in the packet...that you don't have :rolleyes:

Essential reading includes map of LA and a Fodor's guide...meh

I think you and I would like: The Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland, An Imagineer's-eye Tour :thumbsup2, and, The Story of Hollywood, An Illustrated History :thumbsup2. We can order them from Longitude, a specialty mail-order book service. (800) 342-2164, or reading.longitudebooks.com/DY21738.

There's also a long list of 'also recommended'

The Illusion of Life, Disney Animation:thumbsup2
The Disney Mountains, Imagineering at its Peak
The Art of Finding Nemo
Finding Nemo (DVD)
Jim Henson, The Works
The J. Paul Getty Museum and its Collections: A Museum for the New Century
The Golden West, Hollywood Stories :thumbsup2
The Day of the Locust :confused:

*NikkiBell*
08-15-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm wondering if local libraries have any of these books. I do have the mountain range one and I thought I had the Imagineering one, but it's for WDW. Will have to check.

How is everyone today? Any special plans?

NitroStitch
08-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Yeah we do - it is in the packet...that you don't have :rolleyes:

Essential reading includes map of LA and a Fodor's guide...meh

I think you and I would like: The Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland, An Imagineer's-eye Tour :thumbsup2, and, The Story of Hollywood, An Illustrated History :thumbsup2. We can order them from Longitude, a specialty mail-order book service. (800) 342-2164, or reading.longitudebooks.com/DY21738.

There's also a long list of 'also recommended'

The Illusion of Life, Disney Animation:thumbsup2
The Disney Mountains, Imagineering at its Peak
The Art of Finding Nemo
Finding Nemo (DVD)
Jim Henson, The Works
The J. Paul Getty Museum and its Collections: A Museum for the New Century
The Golden West, Hollywood Stories :thumbsup2
The Day of the Locust :confused:

In addition to the books Stacy recommended, I highly recommend "The Disney Mountains, Imagineering at its Peak" that's on the list. :)

NitroStitch
08-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm wondering if local libraries have any of these books. I do have the mountain range one and I thought I had the Imagineering one, but it's for WDW. Will have to check.

How is everyone today? Any special plans?

Today's plans include trying to get a little reading done on Lemon Cake and editing lots of photos from the July 2010 ABD trip. I finally managed to get through my Hollywood photos and posted the link to those on the thread for that trip.

k5jmh
08-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I thought of that totally, but many of us will be adding on days at the Grand once ABD is over. :rolleyes1 Gotta love DVC!

Besides, once you've visited a GOOD spa, you always think about going back to one. :thumbsup2

There is a great spa on the Wonder. :rolleyes1

*NikkiBell*
08-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Okay, how about you call my superintendent so I can go? ;)

k5jmh
08-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Okay, how about you call my superintendent so I can go? ;)

I suggest you talk to the Union co-president and that person can negotiate your release. :rolleyes1

*NikkiBell*
08-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Today's plans include trying to get a little reading done on Lemon Cake and editing lots of photos from the July 2010 ABD trip. I finally managed to get through my Hollywood photos and posted the link to those on the thread for that trip.

I got caught up on Lemon Cake yesterday, but plan on doing some more today. Interesting read. :)

I'd love to go to that thread, but am trying to avoid it. I want to experience all of the little surprises on this trip so I'm trying not to look at the pics. ;) I'm beyond excited though. I think there's going to be a need for boxes of tissues and hope I remember to bring them. I know I'm going to lose it when I see the dwarfs holding up the roof of the building.

BonnieMB
08-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Plans for today were to figure out tickers (done! :yay:) and to order some of the books on the reading list. Ordered: The Imagineering Field Guide, and Jim Henson: The Work, The Art, The Magic, The Imagination. :cool1:
Now I just have to force myself to only read these AFTER the academicy-stuff is done :sad2:

*NikkiBell*
08-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Woohoo!

I'm signing my forms now and just emailed Kevin, but thought I'd ask here too. I noticed that two different dates are listed on the forms. On the "Reservation Confirmation," it has the correct date of July 31-August 5, but on the "Adventure Travel Agreement" it has the start date of February 20. I'm wondering if this is a mix-up or because that is the first group going in the three trips that are set up. Did anyone else notice this?

shellyminnie
08-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Woohoo!

I'm signing my forms now and just emailed Kevin, but thought I'd ask here too. I noticed that two different dates are listed on the forms. On the "Reservation Confirmation," it has the correct date of July 31-August 5, but on the "Adventure Travel Agreement" it has the start date of February 20. I'm wondering if this is a mix-up or because that is the first group going in the three trips that are set up. Did anyone else notice this?

At least you have your papers. I stll don't have mine!!:sad2:

And yes the Wonder does have a great spa and I wouldn't mind a roommate :rolleyes1

*NikkiBell*
08-15-2010, 12:37 PM
You are a bad influence on me! :lmao:

Must...not...cruise....

k5jmh
08-15-2010, 01:39 PM

Must...not...cruise....
Talk to the union co-president! I am cruising with Jodi Benson and BOB FREAKIN' GURR!!!! I am a Chosid!

*NikkiBell*
08-15-2010, 01:46 PM
That's okay. I'm eating LUNCH with Marty Skylar!!!! :P

shellyminnie
08-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Must...not...cruise....

Talk to the union co-president! I am cruising with Jodi Benson and BOB FREAKIN' GURR!!!! I am a Chosid!

That's okay. I'm eating LUNCH with Marty Skylar!!!! :P

:lmao: Nice comeback Nikki!! You still need to cruise!:goodvibes

sshaw10060
08-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi all,

We just returned from spending the weekend with some DIS friends in Hershey. We had a great time. I keep telling myself not to obsess over this trip since it really will take care of itself. That's just kind of hard for me to do.

There was a lot of discussion about pre/post stays. If you are planning a stay and the Disney hotels are out of your price range and DVC doesn't work for you there are plenty of reasonable hotels within walking distance. We have stayed at the Desert Inn because we wanted a suite (dated but livable and cheap) and the HoJos (quite nice). There is a ton of hotel info on the DL boards.

I am now off to obsess about our January DL trip...

SaraMc
08-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Plans for today were to figure out tickers (done! :yay:) and to order some of the books on the reading list. Ordered: The Imagineering Field Guide, and Jim Henson: The Work, The Art, The Magic, The Imagination. :cool1:
Now I just have to force myself to only read these AFTER the academicy-stuff is done :sad2:

Im reading Lee Cockrell's book right now. Which isnt on the list but I can use it at work. Actually you may want to read that too.

.. maybe on my next Barnes and Noble trip I will see what they have since so far Chapters has had nothing I have been looking for.

mr. figment
08-15-2010, 07:50 PM
If you are a fan of the Muppets or Sesame Street, then the Jim Henson book is a great choice! The Illusion of Life is also excellent. The book that I highly recommend (but it's not on the list) is Neil Gabler's biography of Walt Disney. I love it!

I'll have to look into the Jim Henson book. I just added the first season of the Muppet show on my Nexflix list! I just finished the Neil Gabler book two months ago. I really liked it. It gave me some new insight into Walt's life. I also read the Bob Thomas book on Roy. Really liked that one. I'd like to find time to go through both these books again before next July.

itsmuggsie
08-16-2010, 08:21 AM
At least you have your papers. I stll don't have mine!!:sad2:

I got mine on Friday. Haven't really looked at them yet, but I got 'em. :goodvibes

Happy Monday everyone!!! Why do weekends go so fast?

*NikkiBell*
08-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Morning, Adventurers!

muggise - I agree. This past weekend just flew by! How does it do that?

FYI...everyone double-check your travel dates on your paperwork. I emailed Kevin about mine and he has to have another set sent. Apparently this has happened to a few other people already. Maybe we're scaring ABD? ;)

What's on everyone's agenda for today? I'm hoping to finish a work-related book, Igniting a Passion for Reading, by Dr. Steven Layne. I am finding it absolutely fascinating and highly recommend it to the teacher adventurers here. I'm trying to get myself in the mindset of being productive after a long summer. All in all it was fantastic, but I've spent way too much time being lazy!

Have a good day all!

DisneyKevin
08-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Please do not be alarmed if the dates on your TRAVEL AGREEMENT are incorrect.

WE have had TWO people receive travel agreements with the wrong travel dates.

These are just misprints and can be easily corrected.

SaraMc
08-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Good Morning.

I called in sick from work.. Its the first time I ever had in the 2 years I have worked there. I do feel pretty crappy. But saving $800 on our Feb trip did make up for it.

Im probably going to take it easy today, sleep, read. etc.

BonnieMB
08-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Good Morning.

I called in sick from work.. Its the first time I ever had in the 2 years I have worked there. I do feel pretty crappy. But saving $800 on our Feb trip did make up for it.

Hey everyone - Seems my sister needs an extra day to recover from her birthday celebrations this weekend :P
- just asked for a quote on my Feb WDW holiday from Dreams Unlimited - can't wait to see how the just-announced discounts added up. :flower3:
Also had a look at dining options for dinners solo with the DH. We want to stay at Caribbean Beach so checked out menus for food spots there - and heard the hilarious review of the horrid Shutters. I think I hurt myself laughing about the 'Autopsy and Slime' dinner!! :rotfl2:
Off to campus now to try and get some prep done for the looming new term.
Hope everyone has a great day!

BonnieMB
08-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Im reading Lee Cockrell's book right now. Which isnt on the list but I can use it at work. Actually you may want to read that too.

.. maybe on my next Barnes and Noble trip I will see what they have since so far Chapters has had nothing I have been looking for.

Sounds like a good choice re: assuming leadership positions and all that. If you send me the bibliographic info I can see if we have it in the uni library - with a business school we just might :cool2:

sshaw10060
08-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi all,

Just catching up quick over lunch. Our Junior students started back today. Hard to believe I have to start lecturing again. Feels like finals were last week.

For those of you that keep count I just made my first intern in the new class cry. Not not really my fault. She was having a bad day and I was the straw that broke the camels back.

NitroStitch
08-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Ugh. The weekend really did go by way too quickly! The weekdays slog by slowly and weekends fly by so fast. It didn't help being sick either. :rolleyes: DH and I are both sick now, major sinus infections and such. At least it didn't hit until after our ABD trip a few weeks ago. Whew!

I really wish I could win the lottery so I wouldn't have to keep doing the Monday through Friday law firm work... I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go... :rotfl:

Good luck with your Mondays everyone!

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Good Morning.

:flower3:Feel better, Sara!

paulasillars
08-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Woohoo!

I'm signing my forms now and just emailed Kevin, but thought I'd ask here too. I noticed that two different dates are listed on the forms. On the "Reservation Confirmation," it has the correct date of July 31-August 5, but on the "Adventure Travel Agreement" it has the start date of February 20.

I can't say I noticed on ours, I'll check the rest of the docs later. Would be a bummer to show up and not have our names on the list :scared1:

Good Morning.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Also had a look at dining options for dinners solo with the DH. We want to stay at Caribbean Beach so checked out menus for food spots there - and heard the hilarious review of the horrid Shutters.

I confess that I love the reviews of the horrible places far more than the ones that are good. DH while half listening to that review, said "what's that restaurant called... Shudders?" - I think maybe they should rename it! :rotfl:

Ugh. The weekend really did go by way too quickly! The weekdays slog by slowly and weekends fly by so fast. It didn't help being sick either. :rolleyes: DH and I are both sick now, major sinus infections and such. At least it didn't hit until after our ABD trip a few weeks ago. Whew!

Hope you are feeling better soon too!

SaraMc
08-16-2010, 09:45 PM
So for those of you who went before. How much of the stuff at Disneyland ( for sale) is the same as the stuff at Disney World?

Ive always wanted a plain hoodie with the old Disneyland Logo on it and nothing else.
I saw someone wearing one once and Ive always wanted one, ( Yes that is actually one of the reason's I want to go)

Im also going to the world in Feb. Just wondering how far this homoginzation has gone.

NitroStitch
08-16-2010, 10:44 PM
So for those of you who went before. How much of the stuff at Disneyland ( for sale) is the same as the stuff at Disney World?

Ive always wanted a plain hoodie with the old Disneyland Logo on it and nothing else.
I saw someone wearing one once and Ive always wanted one, ( Yes that is actually one of the reason's I want to go)

Im also going to the world in Feb. Just wondering how far this homoginzation has gone.

They still do have some merchandise with Disneyland on it, specifically. We were able to purchase shirts with Disneyland's 55th and of course World of Color shirts, and those are unique to DL. I also saw other merchandise that was Disneyland specific, though I had seen their nearly identical counterparts at WDW. At least they had the different park names on the shirts, depending on which park you were visiting.

BonnieMB
08-17-2010, 09:22 AM

Good point there seester :thumbsup2
I too would like to get things that are unique to Disneyland...maybe not clothes but something. Now that I think about it even most of the stuff I've bought over WDW has the 'Disney Parks' logo, other than one WDW sweatshirt (which is still my fave :love:)
Weren't there dishes we saw online somewhere that were images from vintage DL maps? Or did I dream that? Anyone else see these? :confused:

Still no discounts for me, forced to go to WDW the only week in Feb without anything! :eek: Stoopid job getting in the way again! :surfweb:

*NikkiBell*
08-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Good point there seester :thumbsup2
I too would like to get things that are unique to Disneyland...maybe not clothes but something. Now that I think about it even most of the stuff I've bought over WDW has the 'Disney Parks' logo, other than one WDW sweatshirt (which is still my fave :love:)
Weren't there dishes we saw online somewhere that were images from vintage DL maps? Or did I dream that? Anyone else see these? :confused:

Still no discounts for me, forced to go to WDW the only week in Feb without anything! :eek: Stoopid job getting in the way again! :surfweb:

I just got back last week from Cali. I did notice a bunch of items that were strictly DL. I bought my parents beautiful DL mugs with the castle on them. They had a lot of gold details in the picture and around the rim. I also got some DL hoodies and t-shirts so that is definitely not a problem.

I did not see these plates with the maps on them anywhere. I do remember seeing Haunted Mansion ones though at the Disney Gallery by Mr. Lincoln.

paulasillars
08-17-2010, 05:16 PM

I got quite a few items last time I went (back in 2005).

Next time, I'm on the hunt for an "It's a Small World" t-shirt or similar - a Dis friend has one that she got from DL in 2008 and I WANT ONE! :rotfl2:

Bornteach
08-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Today was day two back to work.....I love my job and these quiet two weeks are so productive!

I am so looking forward to this trip and the time to see all the things we have read/heard about.

We have our pre-stay booked and now we need to keep an eye on our post trip which will be DVC.

Now on to that ticker!

Kristin

BonnieMB
08-17-2010, 08:38 PM
I just got back last week from Cali. I did notice a bunch of items that were strictly DL. I bought my parents beautiful DL mugs with the castle on them. They had a lot of gold details in the picture and around the rim. I also got some DL hoodies and t-shirts so that is definitely not a problem.

I did not see these plates with the maps on them anywhere. I do remember seeing Haunted Mansion ones though at the Disney Gallery by Mr. Lincoln.

OOOOOOHHH!!! :cheer2:
Haunted Mansion ones!! SaraMC is gonna be hunting those down for sure. Thansk for the headsup

BonnieMB
08-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I got quite a few items last time I went (back in 2005).

Next time, I'm on the hunt for an "It's a Small World" t-shirt or similar - a Dis friend has one that she got from DL in 2008 and I WANT ONE! :rotfl2:

Oh I need that too! :lovestruc
I made my husband go with me on ISM on a trip where I hurt myself (fell down went boom) and was in a wheelchair. Got the boat thingy all too ourselves! It just makes me smile and humm the song all day :cloud9:

*NikkiBell*
08-17-2010, 09:01 PM
I didn't see any Small World shirts last week, but maybe they'll have some by the time we go on our adventure!! I did see ones for Adventureland and Tomorrowland though.

They did have some other cute ones including those with part of the dedication speech on them. I got one because I thought that was unique.

SaraMc
08-18-2010, 03:45 AM
Oh I am going to have to ship things home I can just see it now...

*NikkiBell*
08-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Morning Adventurers,

I had a rough day already. I woke up at 5:30 a.m. and wound up falling down a flight of steps. I'm pretty banged up and sore, but alive and kicking. Here's hoping for a better rest of the morning.

What's everyone up to today?

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Morning Adventurers,

I had a rough day already. I woke up at 5:30 a.m. and wound up falling down a flight of steps. I'm pretty banged up and sore, but alive and kicking. Here's hoping for a better rest of the morning.

:confused3What's happening to our group? Lisa, Paul and Sara have been sick. Now you fell down the stairs... Take care, Nikki, hope you are AOK!:flower3:

Sara, don't forget the all that WED merchandise!! We get a 40% off coupon there, too. :yay:

NitroStitch
08-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Morning Adventurers,

Ouch! I hope you'll be okay and have nothing but bruises and aches to show for your tumble. Definitely not a good way to start the day!

Hopefully we're all getting our illnesses and injuries out of the way, long before we have our trip.

Just working and trying to get back in shape here. It's hard to start exercising again after being sick and pretty sedentary. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for me to perk up a bit. :) Paul's feeling better too.

paulasillars
08-18-2010, 03:26 PM
They did have some other cute ones including those with part of the dedication speech on them. I got one because I thought that was unique.

Oooo that sounds cute! I'm always on the hunt for Disney clothing thats a little more "unusual".

I have a tshirt with this image which was done by an artist, DMIL got it for me at our city art gallery.

http://www.prints.co.nz/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/From_mickey_to_tiki_tu_meke_dick_frizzell.jpg

Yikes Nikki! That could have been nasty, but can't say I haven't done the same myself. I was more worried that someone might have seen me when I did that (luckily no one did). :rotfl2:

Just working and trying to get back in shape here. It's hard to start exercising again after being sick and pretty sedentary. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for me to perk up a bit. :) Paul's feeling better too.

Glad you are feeling better. I find it helps to ease back into a it slowly if I have been unwell, else I tend to slack off even more if I get back into it too quickly.

BonnieMB
08-18-2010, 09:38 PM
:confused3What's happening to our group? Lisa, Paul and Sara have been sick. Now you fell down the stairs... Take care, Nikki, hope you are AOK!:flower3:

Sara, don't forget the all that WED merchandise!! We get a 40% off coupon there, too. :yay:

Wha?? 40% off!! Where?? :tigger:
I'm told I have to run interference on Sara at Mickey's of Glendale. I may need help!:grouphug:

mr. figment
08-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Nikkibell hope you're' doing better today after taking the stairs express route. Second day sometimes is the worse.

I wonder if I can get a Disney name tag like they wear in the parks on Mickey's of Glendale? Otherwise, I'm sure there will be some very cool items. If they have some cool Olszewski minitures and boxes, then I will probably need to ship stuff back.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Wha?? 40% off!! Where?? :tigger:
I'm told I have to run interference on Sara at Mickey's of Glendale. I may need help!:grouphug:
We were on the July 25 trip. We get about 30-40 minutes to shop at Mickey's of Glendale, the store at WED. As we entered they gave us a coupon good for 40% off the most expensive item you purchase. You can't apply it to your entire order, but the prices in MoG are pretty reasonable! I hope they do that again. I can't imagine they won't since they offered it when we took this tour in 2008 and this July! I guess we should keep our fingers crossed that they don't change anything!

*NikkiBell*
08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi Friends!!

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm still sore, but doing well. I have a huge scrape on my arm and pain in my lower back still. Hopefully both will go soon!

I'm so excited for our trip. Mickey's of Glendale is going to be awesome!

BonnieMB
08-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Friends!!

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm still sore, but doing well. I have a huge scrape on my arm and pain in my lower back still. Hopefully both will go soon!

I'm so excited for our trip. Mickey's of Glendale is going to be awesome!

Excuse my newbiness, but what sorts of stuff do they sell at Mickey's of Glendale? :rolleyes:

BonnieMB
08-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Exactly 6 months from today the DH and I will be in WDW!!! In fact, by 8:17pm EST we should be checked in at Caribbean Beach and thinking about finding SaraMc and crew! :jumping1:

BonnieMB
08-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Im still kind of in shock that we are actually going. Im going to WDW in feb and its the first time my youngest child is getting to go. And then my sister and I on the podcast ABD in July.. ITs going to be 2011, the disney year!!

Really - would you have it any other way? Next - we gotta do a cruise! :lovestruc

NitroStitch
08-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Excuse my newbiness, but what sorts of stuff do they sell at Mickey's of Glendale? :rolleyes:

They sell all sorts of Imagineering exclusive items like shirts, backpacks, pins, pens, mugs, etc. They also have lots of other cool stuff, but the Imagineering exclusives are the biggest draw. :cool1:

Yvet
08-20-2010, 07:08 AM
When you arrive a few days early or stay a few days after (and you don't book the extra stay thru ABD) then you need a other way of transportation to and from the airport.

Here is some information about shuttle companies.
It's cheap!!!!

I have used them myself when i was at UCLA and i have used them a few times.
From LAX to UCLA
From DL to LAX to UCLA
http://www.supershuttle.com/Default.aspx

and there is also this one but i never used these.
http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/

I hope this info helps!!!

*NikkiBell*
08-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks, Yvet! I used Disneyland Express last week and was not satisfied with it. I have heard good things about Super Shuttle though and would be tempted to try them.

Yvet
08-20-2010, 09:21 AM
This is what Kathy replied on our April ABD trip.
So please think about the fact that it is a shared van shuttle service and that could be no problem but it could also mean that you loose an hour picking up several other people....

Super Shuttle can be a pain when it stops to pick up more people. I highly recommend the Disneyland bus by Gray Line to get to DL and back!!!! It is so easy and much better than being cramped in a van.

http://www.coachamerica.com/graylineanaheim/tours_shuttles.cfm

*NikkiBell*
08-20-2010, 10:02 AM
This is the Disneyland Express by Grayline. It is the one I used last week. They also pick up at at least one other location.

VisualArt
08-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Kristin is big into matching tee shirts. Is there a common tee shirt for this trip? even if there is, are there any objections to me designing a shirt for the trip? I'm thinking that I would like to have the favorite characters of everyone on the trip incorporated into the design in some way, obviously the date and trip details....color shirt (anything but white, i hate white tee shirts) any feedback is appreciated...:joker:

David

*NikkiBell*
08-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey David!!

Remember me from a few weeks ago? It was nice meeting you. I LOVE this idea!! I'm in!! I have lots of fav characters though. My latest is Lotso. I also like Tink. Any color works for me, but I think black would be hot in the sun. :)

SleepingAriel28
08-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Kristin is big into matching tee shirts. Is there a common tee shirt for this trip? even if there is, are there any objections to me designing a shirt for the trip? I'm thinking that I would like to have the favorite characters of everyone on the trip incorporated into the design in some way, obviously the date and trip details....color shirt (anything but white, i hate white tee shirts) any feedback is appreciated...:joker:

David

:wizard: It sound like fun to me. I wouldn't mind if we all had matching tee shirts. As for color i like any shade of blue or even pink. I don't like red or brown color shirts i mean they can have that on them just not the main color of the shirt.

Yea it's friday and i'm almost done with work :dance3:

SleepingAriel28
08-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Hello All

OMG my next August is going to be pretty busy and exciting. At the beginning of the month we got the ABD and then 2 weeks later we will be going back to Disneyland for D23 because we just bought our ticket it's going to be a girls weekend just my sister and me and my momma. It looked like so much fun last year when i was watching it from the "BOX" (yes i was a box person) for those that don't know what that is, it is the people who where experiencing D23 from Lou Mongello's Live Ustream feed (his computer is the BOX). This year I am escaping from the BOX LOL. I can't wait till next august. Is there anyone else that is able to do both this ABD and D23.

princess::woohoo:

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-20-2010, 04:27 PM

David

That's a lovely idea! :banana::banana:

We would definitely be into that! My favorite character is Band Concert Mickey (I was my high school band's drum majorette, I liked him before the Silly Symphony Swings!) and Jeff's favorite is Donald. We're flexible on colors; whatever looks good with your design.

paulasillars
08-20-2010, 04:31 PM
This is the Disneyland Express by Grayline. It is the one I used last week. They also pick up at at least one other location.

What issues did you have Nikki?

I have booked them for our transfers for our trip in October so would be interested to know. I'll also be happy to report how we find them in case others are interested for the July trip.

NitroStitch
08-20-2010, 10:41 PM

David

I love that idea! My favorite characters are Stitch and Eeyore and my husband's favorite is Buzz Lightyear. I really don't like yellow or orange shirts, since they make me look ill, but don't mind them as a color on the shirt. Just about any other color is fine with us. :thumbsup2

*NikkiBell*
08-20-2010, 11:03 PM
What issues did you have Nikki?

I have booked them for our transfers for our trip in October so would be interested to know. I'll also be happy to report how we find them in case others are interested for the July trip.

On the way to our Disney hotel was fine, but on the way back the driver was absolutely unprofessional and rude. She arrived with her male companion and they ate and talked like a bunch of teenagers while driving. She looked at him more than the road and swerved all over. She then refused to go to her next stop at another Disney hotel and instead asked another driver to do it. This caused us to sit and wait in the parking lot for the other bus to retrieve her passengers, bring them to her bus, and unload/reload. Once they were on, she was in no rush to leave and came close to making us late (if we did not say something). Disney would not be happy to be associated with her.

ZiggyZ
08-21-2010, 10:26 AM

David
Good Morning All
We are Jerry and Loni from the Hoosier State, First time DIS'rs. We are glad and feel lucky to be going on our ABD trip next July/August. We have been going to WDW since 77. DVC at AK and BLT. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

David your tee shirt idea is OK with us. Do not have any favorite characters per say unless you include just about all of them, so a tee shirt with so many different favorites sounds great with us..maybe we can add one or two before the final decision is made.

By the way I know you can't tell we are new to using Forums and Board.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Good Morning All
We are Jerry and Loni from the Hoosier State, First time DIS'rs. We are glad and feel lucky to be going on our ABD trip next July/August. We have been going to WDW since 77. DVC at AK and BLT. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

David your tee shirt idea is OK with us. Do not have any favorite characters per say unless you include just about all of them, so a tee shirt with so many different favorites sounds great with us..maybe we can add one or two before the final decision is made.

Welcome Jerry and Loni!!:flower3:

BonnieMB
08-21-2010, 03:20 PM

David

While t-shirts aren't really my thing, this would make a nice way to commemorate the trip. Please no yellow - makes me look like a 6 foot banana!! :banana: (Imagine this 6" tall!!! no one wants to see that!)
Favourite characters are Sorcerer Mickey, Tigger, and Malificent. Oh and Jiminy Cricket :yay:

BonnieMB
08-21-2010, 03:22 PM
While t-shirts aren't really my thing, this would make a nice way to commemorate the trip. Please no yellow - makes me look like a 6 foot banana!! :banana: (Imagine this 6" tall!!! no one wants to see that!)
Favourite characters are Sorcerer Mickey, Tigger, and Malificent. Oh and Jiminy Cricket :yay:

Oh and can we get v-neck? Much more flattering for the women princess:

NitroStitch
08-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Good Morning All

Welcome! We look forward to meeting you two. :) We own at BLT too - and Boardwalk. Since we're in Florida, we're at WDW frequently - never often enough, of course! :rotfl:

*NikkiBell*
08-21-2010, 04:46 PM
:welcome: Jerry and Loni!!!

SaraMc
08-21-2010, 09:16 PM

David

I think that would be cool. lighter colours might be better in the hot sun etc Just as long as its not mustard yellow. Not even a hot dog looks good in that colour.
Mickey and the Evil Queen are my fav's. :cutie:

SaraMc
08-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Really, she's not joking. That's how she dances.:eek:

paulasillars
08-21-2010, 09:30 PM
On the way to our Disney hotel was fine, but on the way back the driver was absolutely unprofessional and rude. She arrived with her male companion and they ate and talked like a bunch of teenagers while driving. She looked at him more than the road and swerved all over. She then refused to go to her next stop at another Disney hotel and instead asked another driver to do it. This caused us to sit and wait in the parking lot for the other bus to retrieve her passengers, bring them to her bus, and unload/reload. Once they were on, she was in no rush to leave and came close to making us late (if we did not say something). Disney would not be happy to be associated with her.

Wow thats pretty bad. Hope we don't have anything like that. Just shows that one bad employee can really harm a business. I'll be sure to report what we find.

Good Morning All

Welcome, nice to have you joining us!

BonnieMB
08-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Really, she's not joking. That's how she dances.:eek:

Now that's just mean! Can't you tell Sara is the younger, bratty sister? ;)

Ah, but I love her anyway :love:

SleepingAriel28
08-21-2010, 10:51 PM
I think that would be cool. lighter colours might be better in the hot sun etc Just as long as its not mustard yellow. Not even a hot dog looks good in that colour.
Mickey and the Evil Queen are my fav's. :cutie:

I love the idea's so far on the shirt idea and I forgot to tell you guys what our favorite characters are mine is Ariel and Marjorie's (my mom) is Tigger she is disneynana03 on the boards but she is new to posting and hasn't posted anything yet.

mr. figment
08-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Is there a common tee shirt for this trip?

The good news is there is, the bad news is you get to wear it the last day! :lmao:

mr. figment
08-23-2010, 12:03 PM

David

My favorite character would be Buzz and Woody and Christine's would be Pluto.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-23-2010, 04:38 PM

David

I know I already posted a reply to this, however I must say that I wrote too quickly on behalf of my other half! I said his favorite character would be Donald (his favorite of the Fab-Five), but Jeff's favorite over-all would be Herbie the Love Bug. I hope I let you know in enough time! I'm sorry if I caused any inconvenience!! :flower3:

BonnieMB
08-23-2010, 11:33 PM
The good news is there is, the bad news is you get to wear it the last day! :lmao:

Soooo - what does this t-shirt look like? Just a hint? ;)

*NikkiBell*
08-24-2010, 08:44 AM
I am getting so excited for all of this shirt talk! I love matching shirts!! :)

mr. figment
08-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Soooo - what does this t-shirt look like? Just a hint? ;)

It looks very worn and dirty!

There is not a shirt designed, just my attempt at humor....

itsmuggsie
08-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm liking the matching shirt idea too!!! My favorite is Grumpy with Goofy a close second.

NitroStitch
08-24-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm liking the matching shirt idea too!!! My favorite is Grumpy with Goofy a close second.

These shirts are going to be so much fun, with all these wonderful characters!! :)

Our shirts the last day weren't dirty. :rotfl: By then, we were wearing our loot from Mickey's of Glendale and/or Club 33! We did have some matching shirts, as many in our group had similar tastes. :thumbsup2

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-24-2010, 03:03 PM
These shirts are going to be so much fun, with all these wonderful characters!! :)

Our shirts the last day weren't dirty. :rotfl: By then, we were wearing our loot from Mickey's of Glendale and/or Club 33! We did have some matching shirts, as many in our group had similar tastes. :thumbsup2

I agree!! And it was fun to see who was wearing matching clothes in the morning!:goodvibes

*NikkiBell*
08-24-2010, 06:28 PM
It's official. I'm going bonkers for this trip to begin! Anyone else? How on Earth are we going to make it an entire year??

SaraMc
08-24-2010, 06:30 PM
It's official. I'm going bonkers for this trip to begin! Anyone else? How on Earth are we going to make it an entire year??

Its not a year! Its only 11 months and 5 days away.. and really if you count today, well today is almost over so it doesnt count, and they day you arrive is well the day you arrive and it's starting. Sooo.. Its only 11 months and 3 days away!

NitroStitch
08-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I agree!! And it was fun to see who was wearing matching clothes in the morning!:goodvibes

I know! That was lots of fun - and we had a number of near misses for that too! :)

paulasillars
08-25-2010, 01:18 AM

I'm not going bonkers yet but come mid October when I return from my upcoming cruise and trip to WDW, I'll be in full planning mode.

Thus far, I'm managing to stay focused on the closest trip, though I confess I have look at flights to see what the costs are and whether we can fly into San Fran and out of LA for the same price (looks like we can!).

BonnieMB
08-25-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm not going bonkers yet but come mid October when I return from my upcoming cruise and trip to WDW, I'll be in full planning mode.

Thus far, I'm managing to stay focused on the closest trip, though I confess I have look at flights to see what the costs are and whether we can fly into San Fran and out of LA for the same price (looks like we can!).

Not too bonkers yet here either as focusing on the Feb trip which is nearly all planned - just waiting for my Dreams Unlimited consultant to give us our itinerary. :jumping1:
Can't wait to get together with Sara and crew :tigger:
The darling DH may be getting a bit tired of all the talk about what I'm calling the 'ABD with Sara' trip but too bad for him :rolleyes1

Have to go to work :surfweb: but in the latest breaking news ... I have a new iMac just got yesterday - the Apple Conversion has begun!! :cheer2: The ancient thing I have been using (computer geek friend suggesting the only thing that would help it was a sledgehammer) - not a Mac btw - is going to computer heaven as soon as I get my files off it. :littleangel:

Why did I wait this long to go Apple? :confused:

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Have to go to work :surfweb: but in the latest breaking news ... I have a new iMac just got yesterday - the Apple Conversion has begun!! :cheer2: The ancient thing I have been using (computer geek friend suggesting the only thing that would help it was a sledgehammer) - not a Mac btw - is going to computer heaven as soon as I get my files off it. :littleangel:

We went through the same thing last year! Jeff still likes the PC for certain things, though. Now I really want Verizon to strike a deal with Apple so I can get an iPhone. Then there's the iPad....:)

To get through this year, we plan on living vicariously through all our friends taking trips during the school year. Plus we have the podcast!! Finally there is the "wishing your life away" between trips that inevitably happens at certain times of the year!:laughing:

NitroStitch
08-25-2010, 11:51 AM
We went through the same thing last year! Jeff still likes the PC for certain things, though. Now I really want Verizon to strike a deal with Apple so I can get an iPhone. Then there's the iPad....:)

To get through this year, we plan on living vicariously through all our friends taking trips during the school year. Plus we have the podcast!! Finally there is the "wishing your life away" between trips that inevitably happens at certain times of the year!:laughing:

Oh, I really wish Verizon and Apple would make a deal - our iPhones have such lousy service with AT&T! I never had many problems with Verizon, and then there's Disney's Mobile Magic... And I still have iPad envy, but not too badly yet.

We're trying to focus on other trips (big and small) rather than focusing as much on the one a little over 11 months away. Of course, there are the moments it just gets to me and I can't help but :yay::dance3::cheer2:

paulasillars
08-25-2010, 03:38 PM

For me anyway, you are preaching to the converted. I'm an IT geek by profession and last October bought an Macbook to replace my Dell for home. OMG, I would never go back to Windows.

For work, I live and breathe MS Windows and I can clearly see that there is a place for both and I hope that continues to be honest. A little more competition would be a good thing.

For basic "office" use, I'm definite an Open Office lover - see no point in MS Office other than if you have Exchange then Outlook is hard to beat for functionality.

We're trying to focus on other trips (big and small) rather than focusing as much on the one a little over 11 months away. Of course, there are the moments it just gets to me and I can't help but :yay::dance3::cheer2:

I do try to focus on one trip at a time. Mum and I did a cruise with Princess a couple of years ago through the French Pacific and all we did was talk about our upcoming Disney trip... its nice to have something to look forward to but I do try to stay in the moment and not wish my life away :rotfl2:

BonnieMB
08-25-2010, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=paulasillars;37964191]For me anyway, you are preaching to the converted. I'm an IT geek by profession and last October bought an Macbook to replace my Dell for home. OMG, I would never go back to Windows.

For work, I live and breathe MS Windows and I can clearly see that there is a place for both and I hope that continues to be honest. A little more competition would be a good thing.

Well I have no choice but to use MS Office (for Mac) because my university bought the license and that is what is supported across campus. It is fine and well I have the whole lovely rest of my iMac to love.... the 21.5 in ch screen is gorgeous and the whole thing is just so sleek...no more dratted HUDGE cpu to bash my knee on. :mad:

Now if I could just stop playing on the internet...

DH is a diehard for non-Mac computers - says its 'what he knows'. I swear if he just gave it a try... sigh... :sad2:

Anyone going to be on the chat tonight? 8pm EST?

paulasillars
08-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Anyone going to be on the chat tonight? 8pm EST?

There was a few from this trip but numbers are dwinding now its late (for those in the US/Canada).

ZiggyZ
08-26-2010, 04:05 PM
We are thinking of alternate transportation to LA. Has anybody taken Amtrak to LA Union Station and how difficult and or expensive would it be to get our hotel? Also thought about flying into SF to go back to the WD Family Museum and taking the Coast Starlight to LA or driving to LA. Thoughts!!

mikelan6
08-26-2010, 04:35 PM
We are thinking of alternate transportation to LA. Has anybody taken Amtrak to LA Union Station and how difficult and or expensive would it be to get our hotel?

The LA Metro (http://www.metro.net/) actually runs from Union Station to a station right at the Hollywood and Highland complex, where the Renaissance Hotel is located!

BonnieMB
08-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi all
Got the books I ordered from the reading list for our trip. Soaked up the Imagineer's Guide to Disneyland in one night! :wizard: Can't wait to do my Wild By Design tour at AKP now...so much really cool design stuff about plantings, perspective, berms, sight lines, etc (True Confession Time: At one time I wanted to be a landscape architect, so I'm a bit of a geek about this stuff (took intro courses for a Bachelors Degree in L.Arch. before deciding on geography) And there was a time when I thought being a veterinarian would be great - and now I've done a bunch of research about how people think, feel and interact in zoos). OK - end of 'geek-out' :smickey:

Started on the Jim Henson: The Works book - can't help but thinking about the similarities between Jim and Walt. Great pity they never met ... or did they? Nah...all that creative, collaborative, energy in one place?

Anyone else getting some good edumacation?? :teacher:

SaraMc
08-28-2010, 07:13 AM
I picked up the Birnbaum Guide for DL on thursday and have been reading that. Thanks Nikki for the recomendation. So far loving it.

*NikkiBell*
08-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Bonnie, I did the Wild by Design Tour about a year ago and absolutely loved it. It honestly made Animal Kingdom one of my least favorite parks to my second favorite (MK being the first). You really appreciate everything so much more after going on that tour. :thumbsup2

Sara, glad to hear you are enjoying Birnbaum's guide to DLR. I always love those books.

I hope everyone is looking forward to a good weekend. The weather is beautiful here and I have no plans as of yet. Not sure what to do today, but have an itch to go shopping. :)

BonnieMB
08-28-2010, 01:11 PM
I picked up the Birnbaum Guide for DL on thursday and have been reading that. Thanks Nikki for the recomendation. So far loving it.

Hey sister - I think you will really love the Imagineer's Guide too. :thumbsup2 When should I send it?

BonnieMB
08-28-2010, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=*NikkiBell*;37999020]Bonnie, I did the Wild by Design Tour about a year ago and absolutely loved it. It honestly made Animal Kingdom one of my least favorite parks to my second favorite (MK being the first). You really appreciate everything so much more after going on that tour. :thumbsup2

Oh wow! I already really like AKP - it probably is my #3 (DHS and MK are my #1 and #2). Can't wait to do it now!:banana:

Meant to ask - what do you all think about the upcoming 'Tangled' movie and the early tie-in in Fantasyland? If I remember right it will be ready when SaraMc and I are in WDW in Feb...curious to see how this goes...

*NikkiBell*
08-28-2010, 08:26 PM
When I read that on the blog, I thought it sounded pretty cool, Bonnie. I'm very excited for this movie to come out. I hope it does well at the box office! :thumbsup2

paulasillars
08-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Also thought about flying into SF to go back to the WD Family Museum and taking the Coast Starlight to LA or driving to LA. Thoughts!!

We are probably starting in SF too and are planning on hiring a car to drive down to LA.

Bonnie, I did the Wild by Design Tour about a year ago and absolutely loved it. It honestly made Animal Kingdom one of my least favorite parks to my second favorite (MK being the first). You really appreciate everything so much more after going on that tour. :thumbsup2

AK is my favourite park - I think its beautiful and I love watching the animals.

ZiggyZ
08-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Be sure to allow extra time for the WD Family Museum. We allowed 2 Hours and 4 hrs later that was still not enough time.

mr. figment
08-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Afternoon Campers...

Bonnie did you start the Jim Hensen book yet? This is the one book I'm seriously considering. Otherwise I'm going to skim through my Walt Disney biography book before the trip.

Also, I have ask, so has anyone come up with some good questions for Marty Sklar? I keep thinking I'm going to get the deer in the head lights look after I say "Really enjoy your work....Mr Sklar!" :sad2: Just curious.

Jeff & Stacy in NYC
08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Also, I have ask, so has anyone come up with some good questions for Marty Sklar? I keep thinking I'm going to get the deer in the head lights look after I say "Really enjoy your work....Mr Sklar!" :sad2: Just curious.

We have been discussing this, too. Once, we were eating at the Brown Derby, when we realized the table next to us was having "dinner with an imagineer". Jeff was sitting closer and could hear some of the conversation. It was a woman and her daughter (who was 12ish), and all they could say was along the lines of, "You should see our house," and questions about new pins. At one point, Jeff went to the restroom and saw the imagineer on the phone, asking for back-up. Next thing we knew, a Cast Member showed up at the table to do card tricks.

When Kevin started the "taunting" thread we were so sure the surprise would be Richard Sherman. We were set to go with questions for him, then we found out it was going to be Marty. Can't use those questions...back to the drawing board! Marty is huge in Disney!! We want to come up with thoughtful questions that aren't going bore the poor man to death! :confused3

*NikkiBell*
08-30-2010, 07:21 PM
I have no idea what to ask Marty! You all need to come up with good questions!

I did Dine with an Imagineer last November. It was fabulous and the conversation never died. We were in a private room at the Brown Derby and it was such a wonderful experience. I can only imagine how Marty is going to top this! :)

mr. figment
08-30-2010, 08:04 PM

I did Dine with an Imagineer last November. It was fabulous and the conversation never died. We were in a private room at the Brown Derby and it was such a wonderful experience. I can only imagine how Marty is going to top this! :)

We did Dine with an Imagineer in June and really loved it. We got a lot of cool background information about projects Dan had worked on like Kim Possible and similar at the new Hawaii resort. There were so many questions I wanted to ask but knew that he couldn't comment on. I'm really looking forward to lunch with Marty Sklar. Does anyone know where the lunch with Marty will fit into the schedule or is that to be determined.

*NikkiBell*
08-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm curious to know that as well, but am sure we'll find out as the trip gets closer and things are finalized.

I had a female sculptor as my Imagineer (her name slips me at the moment) and she was great to talk to. :)

BonnieMB
08-31-2010, 12:08 AM
Afternoon Campers...

Bonnie did you start the Jim Hensen book yet? This is the one book I'm seriously considering. Otherwise I'm going to skim through my Walt Disney biography book before the trip.

Hi and yes, I did start the Henson book - I really like it - it made me think how much Walt and he were alike - small town backgrounds, unwavering creativity in all sorts of areas, and ability to quietly inspire others to work beside them on their dreams. I wonder - did they ever meet? I'm on Chapter 3 (This Chapter is Brought to You by the Number 3) which talks about the early Sesame Street years.

I think its worth it - can't wait to get to the chapter that focuses on the work of The Creature Shop!:yay:

BonnieMB
08-31-2010, 12:13 AM

Ack! I have no idea what to ask Marty either :scared1:
Can anybody recommend anything I could read to get up to speed on all that Marty has worked on? Then I could put my researcher hat on and get busy on some good questions. :3dglasses

BonnieMB
08-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Ok - I did a little digging and I think I have an area for questions at least. I'm really interested in the early plans for Epcot (When it was EPCOT) when it was intended to truly be an experimental community...real utopian planning akin to the earlier Garden Cities movement and other early planning models. I use the TV spot where Walt talks about his plans for EPCOT in my human geography course when we talk about living in urban centres and planning - really gets the students attention! :cool1:

So I think I will get into that a bit and come up with 2 or 3 good questions :surfweb:

paulasillars
08-31-2010, 02:58 AM

LOL the only questions I can come up with are totally inappropriate and nothing to do with anything he's done... "so Mr Sklar... love your work but the big question... do you scrunch or fold?" - bet no one has asked that before...

I think I'll just sit quietly at the back of the room in case I get thrown out :rotfl2:

Promise I will try to behave... :littleangel:

NitroStitch
08-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Afternoon Campers...

The Jim Henson book is fantastic - I learned so much I never knew about him and about all the things he did. It made me appreciate some of what we saw in CA more, and it added so much to the Muppets productions I'd seen.

I plan to do plenty of reading before we have our lunch with Marty Sklar, and I hope to have many good questions by next summer! I'm sure he could probably be asked anything and talk about it for hours. Oh, the stories he must be able to tell!

NitroStitch
08-31-2010, 01:17 PM

Sara, glad to hear you are enjoying Birnbaum's guide to DLR. I always love those books.

I hope everyone is looking forward to a good weekend. The weather is beautiful here and I have no plans as of yet. Not sure what to do today, but have an itch to go shopping. :)

I really want to do the Wild by Design Tour - AK is my favorite park!

AllyGirl_79
08-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Hello fellow Adventurers!

I've been doing some travelling and got terribly behind in this thread -- I just read 10 pages! Can't wait to get more in the swing of things.

T-shirts: I'm not really big on matching t-shirts traditionally, but I think this could be cool and a great souvenir. My favorite character is Dopey and Eileen's is Stitch.

Books: I ordered the field guide to Disneyland (and also the Lee Cockrell and Charlie Ridgeway books for the cruise) but I have such a huge stack of books that I have bought and haven't read, I'm waiting on the others. The Muppets will be Eileen's favorite part of the trip, so I might get her that book as part of her Christmas gift ... and then borrow it! I'm also reading the Imaginering book now. I've had it for several years, but somehow never read it all the way through. I'm thinking about the second one, as well, after Dave Parfitt's review on the blog. I'm trying to convince myself to wait on the DL guide and buy next year's edition.

Questions for Marty Sklar: I haven't really thought about questions yet. I'm most curious about the fact that he's opened every park - is it still just as exciting? Does he have a favorite park? What does he think Walt would think of how big and far-reaching the parks have become?

I'm off to raid the mini-bar, watch some more of the US Open, and then dream about this trip!

DisDan26
09-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Hey Ya'll!

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My DP (Leah) and I (Danika) are soooo excited about this trip!! We were on the waiting list and I got notice a couple of days ago that they had 2 spots open... As of Yesterday we are IN!! :banana:

We are DVC Members and have been to Disney World multiple times, but this will be our 1st trip to California!!

I am a Bank Manager & Leah is a Pharmacist... we work hard, & stay busy but DISNEY IS OUR PASSION!! Any free time we have is spent @ the Happiest place on Earth!! We have been together 6 years & love our life, but nothing beats being at "Our Happy Place" :love:

Anywho... Enough of all of that.. We are stoked about this trip & can't wait to meet everyone!!! We are always up for finding new friends that are as big of "Disney Nerds" as we are!!! :woohoo:

P.S. We are new to the boards.... so i hope I am doing this right hehe :rotfl2:

NitroStitch
09-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Hey Ya'll!

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My DP (Leah) and I (Danika) are soooo excited about this trip!! We were on the waiting list and I got notice a couple of days ago that they had 2 spots open... As of Yesterday we are IN!! :banana:

We are DVC Members and have been to Disney World multiple times, but this will be our 1st trip to California!!

I am a Bank Manager & Leah is a Pharmacist... we work hard, & stay busy but DISNEY IS OUR PASSION!! Any free time we have is spent @ the Happiest place on Earth!! We have been together 6 years & love our life, but nothing beats being at "Our Happy Place" :love:

Anywho... Enough of all of that.. We are stoked about this trip & can't wait to meet everyone!!! We are always up for finding new friends that are as big of "Disney Nerds" as we are!!! :woohoo:

P.S. We are new to the boards.... so i hope I am doing this right hehe :rotfl2:

Congratulations on moving from the wait list to the group of Adventurers! And welcome to the boards too. :) This is definitely the ultimate trip for all of the Disney Geeks and Disnerds that we are! :rotfl:

*NikkiBell*
09-02-2010, 06:26 PM
:welcome: :welcome: Danika!

DisneyKevin
09-03-2010, 04:16 PM
In reading about the earthquake in New Zealand, I realized that it happened in the place that Paula and her Mom are from.

Lets say a prayer for Paula and her Mom and all of the people from Christchurch, New Zealand.

ETA:

Paula did post to FB earlier.

Quote:
Paula Sillars - Well the earth moved for me! 7.4 4km from here - house is a mess!

Paula Sillars - Lots of tremors and after shocks and still no power - phone system overloaded - cant get hold of Roberts Mum to see if she is ok - lounge awash from fish tank - stuff fallen and off shelves but no major structural damage but waiting for daylight to see for sure

Good thoughts Paula

*NikkiBell*
09-03-2010, 05:27 PM
I saw this earlier while on the phone. I'm still going to keep Paula in my thoughts. I'm hoping her mother in law is okay.