PDA

View Full Version : ABD Backstage Magic 2/20 - 2/25/11 *** Close to Selling Out***

Pages : [1] 2 3

DisneyKevin
07-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Just getting the ball rolling.

As requested, here is a link to pricing...

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/reservations/abd_input_pc.cfm

PodCast Team Members on this Adventure:
Pete
Walter
John
Kevin

Announcement (added 08/04/2010)

We are pleased and honored to announce that we have made a special arrangement to have Marty Sklar join us for lunch on one day of our Adventure. This will be exclusive to those booked on this trip. You will be able to talk, ask questions of and interact with Marty in a casual lunch setting. As an added bonus everyone on the Adventure will receive a copy of the book "A Brush with Disney" autographed by Marty Sklar after they return home.

In order to allow everyone a chance to interact with Mr. Sklar we are limiting this Adventure to 30 guests plus the podcast team. Once we reach 30 guests we will no longer accept bookings on this adventure.

Check out Dave Parfitts Blog (http://www.disunplugged.com/2010/08/04/dis-unplugged-exclusive-lunch-with-the-imagineer-marty-sklar/) about this incredible trip and opportunity.

A List of Who's Going..

Skunkvette - Frank
2vettecool - Cathy
Plutes - Amy
Mr. Plutes - Jimmy
Circusgirl - Heather
DisneyEnabler - Carol
MerryMousketer - Michael
mikelan6 - Mike
stitchlover - Suzette
planaholic - Lindsay
princessbride6205 - Nicole
bkoehl - Becky
PuffPatty - Patty
Alex - Mr. PuffPatty
John = Mr. bkoehl
jj73wdw - John (or J.J.)
DisneyKevin - Kevin
WebmasterJohn - John
WebmasterPete - Pete
AKAScar - Walter

If you would like to be added to the list...just let me know!

katscradle
07-29-2010, 11:56 PM
The ball has been rolling for awhile now! :rotfl2:

Yvet
07-30-2010, 05:40 AM
These dates are the only ones that we for sure not going to be able to join this tour....

Plutes
07-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Jimmy & I just signed up for this one...can't wait!! :woohoo::yay::dance3::banana:

Disney Enabler
08-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Happy early Birthday Michael. Here is your birthday gift. You are going on the Feb ABD trip!!!

It's a great day to be alive,
Carol

Who else will be joining us??? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Merry Mousketeer
08-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Happy early Birthday Michael. Here is your birthday gift. You are going on the Feb ABD trip!!!

Thank you for a wonderful birthday gift that we can share with all our wonderful DISfriends!

Hmmm, now what DIStrip can I give you for your birthday? I'll have to chat with Kevin. ;)

mikelan6
08-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Kevin .. can you please put a link to the pricing on your 1st post? I can't seem to find it anwhere. Thanks!

DisneyKevin
08-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Kevin .. can you please put a link to the pricing on your 1st post? I can't seem to find it anwhere. Thanks!

Your wish is my command!

WebmasterJohn
08-04-2010, 09:48 AM
This is the trip Kevin and I will be on.

Looking forward to an awesome adventure with everyone!!!

Plutes
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM

Woohoo!!! :dance3:

We can't wait!!

Merry Mousketeer
08-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Then this is going to be the best of the three ABD trips!! Carol and I are so excited to hear we'll be with you and Kevin! :yay:

Any more exciting news will just be icing on the cake!

Michael

DrMomof3
08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
We're considering this one. We'd probably bring my (then) 7 year old as his birthday present (2/12) and leave the younger 2 at home. Anyone else going to bring kids?
And I won't lie, finally meeting some of the podcast members is definitely an enticement! :thumbsup2

Amanda

roomthreeseventeen
08-04-2010, 11:04 AM
We're considering this one. We'd probably bring my (then) 7 year old as his birthday present (2/12) and leave the younger 2 at home. Anyone else going to bring kids?
And I won't lie, finally meeting some of the podcast members is definitely an enticement! :thumbsup2

Amanda

Oh, man! John, Kevin, Jimmy & Amy, AND NOW YOU?

Shoot.

WebmasterJohn
08-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Please make sure you check the first post for updates and news on this adventure!!

bannermouse
08-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I just signed up myself and my cousin Rose. We are so looking forward to going on this trip and meeting all of you!!!!!!!!:banana:

Bannermouse

Merry Mousketeer
08-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Welcome aboard! My wife Carol (Disney Enabler) and I are really looking forward to this trip and getting to know our fellow DISers! This will be so much fun!

Michael

bannermouse
08-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks, we are really looking forward to the trip also and meeting all our fellow travelers!!!

Bannermouse

Circusgirl
08-08-2010, 05:08 PM
After being on the first time through this marvelous, delightful, giddy whirlwind of an experience, I couldn't resist going around again! I've plunked down my deposit, and am already super excited about getting back on the bus with another DIS crew.

Last trip I did two post nights, which was perfect. Because it will be the President's week holiday when we are there next year, I think I'll do a couple of pre-days, with only one post night, as I imagine rates will be higher and crowds larger after the trip as compared to the week before. I do advise at least one post night, though. You won't want to leave, you'll want to be back in the parks, and you'll need a little rest!

Merry Mousketeer
08-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Welcome! Boy, it sure says a lot about this trip when DISers go on it again. My wife, Carol (Disney Enabler) and I are planning to arrive a couple of days early and stay a couple of days afterwards. We're looking forward to meeting you!

bannermouse
08-09-2010, 01:39 PM
We just booked 2 additional nights at the Grand Californian using DVC points at 22 points a night which is a lot better than their cash rate. Booked Friday and Saturday, the 25th and 26th of Feb. Will leave for home on Sunday, the 27th. Havn't decided whether or not to add on a day at the beginning of the trip. Will probably depend on the flights. We are planning on flying Southwest which will release their flight plans for the rest of Februay 2011 next week. :cool1:

Bannermouse

Merry Mousketeer
08-09-2010, 01:55 PM
We just booked 2 additional nights at the Grand Californian using DVC points at 22 points a night which is a lot better than their cash rate. Booked Friday and Saturday, the 25th and 26th of Feb. Will leave for home on Sunday, the 27th. Havn't decided whether or not to add on a day at the beginning of the trip.

We did the same thing! We tried to book DVC pre-trip, but there wasn't much availability due to the Presidents Day Weekend. My wife is researching options since we do plan to arrive a day or two early. I was surprised that Disney didn't offer special rates for pre and post ADB hotel rooms.

It's going to be so much fun!!

Plutes
08-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Hey, fellow ABD'ers! :wave2:

It sounds like we all had the same idea! Jimmy & I booked the two nights after the trip (2/25-2/26) using DVC points, also! AND, we also tried to get the night before, but had to waitlist it! The only problem with the waitlist is that I'd like to be able to book our airfare sooner rather than later! I guess we'll give it another month or two and then make our final decision. Michael, let me know if you guys come across a good deal for those pre-trip nights!

Disney Enabler
08-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Wow - great minds think alike.

To my fellow pre-planners, I just got off the phone with DVC. We could each get the 18th but the 19th looks doubtful. There is nothing available. I even asked about a 2 bedroom or Grand Villa thinking we could share but no availability.

One option for the pre-trip is to go the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier on DVC points but it is a more expensive point choice and has more cancelation restrictions. The rooms go for 34 points a night at Disneyland Hotel and 31 points a night at Paradise Pier. The reservations for these rooms has just become available this week so I suppose we all need to make decision.

I know for me that I will not do GC for the 18th and then move for the 19th and then move again to join the ABD trip but I guess that is also an option.

I would be curious to know what you choice. Michael and I will be discussing this tonight.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Carol

Disney Enabler
08-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Just a little more information.

I have priced the Disneyland Resort hotels for cash prices. I have used Disney.com and CostcoTravel and AAA. I even tried the Entertainment Book. Here is what I am getting as a result.

Grand Californian approx $445/night plus taxes
Disneyland Hotel no availability showing on any of the sites
Paradise Pier approx $290/night plus taxes

Remember this is California so the taxes can definately add up.

In the past Michael and I have stayed at some of the no frills small hotels which are just outside of Disneyland. They are within walking distance or in my case scooter distance. They are currently showing availability and are pricing in the $150 or so a night price range. They are no frills but we have found them to be clean and workable. If this is something you would like more info on we could give you a couple names of places we have stayed.

Hope this info helps.

Carol

Plutes
08-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Just a little more information.

I have priced the Disneyland Resort hotels for cash prices. I have used Disney.com and CostcoTravel and AAA. I even tried the Entertainment Book. Here is what I am getting as a result.

Grand Californian approx $445/night plus taxes
Disneyland Hotel no availability showing on any of the sites
Paradise Pier approx $290/night plus taxes

Remember this is California so the taxes can definately add up.

In the past Michael and I have stayed at some of the no frills small hotels which are just outside of Disneyland. They are within walking distance or in my case scooter distance. They are currently showing availability and are pricing in the $150 or so a night price range. They are no frills but we have found them to be clean and workable. If this is something you would like more info on we could give you a couple names of places we have stayed.

Hope this info helps.

Carol

Hi Carol!

We were thinking of looking into some of the 'good neighbor' hotels, but there are so many!! If you could recommend a couple of nice, clean places, I would really appreciate it! I think we're going to go that route for now. I REALLY want to try to get out there a day or two early, just as extra added insurance against any possible storms that might pop up - Storms during Presidents weekend are notorious around here!

Thanks! :)

Yvet
08-10-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm not on this trip but lurking....

I have stayed in this hotel in 2006 and it was clean.
The staff was very helpful and it's so close that you can walk.
Their rates are great!!!

I don't believe that the prices go further then December 2010 but maybe you can send them an email when the rates do come out or if they already take reservations for 2011.
http://www.anaheimplazahotel.com/

Hope this helps!!

Plutes
08-10-2010, 09:11 AM

I have stayed in this hotel in 2006 and it was clean.
The staff was very helpful and it's so close that you can walk.
Their rates are great!!!

I don't believe that the prices go further then December 2010 but maybe you can send them an email when the rates do come out or if they already take reservations for 2011.
http://www.anaheimplazahotel.com/

Hope this helps!!

Thanks Yvet! We'll definitely check it out!

DisneyKevin
08-10-2010, 09:20 AM

I think we need to convince Yvette and Emiel to go with us on this Adventure.
:thumbsup2

Plutes
08-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Sounds like a plan to me! We can't have a party without them!! ;)

Yvet
08-10-2010, 09:50 AM

Sounds like a plan to me! We can't have a party without them!! ;)

It isn't very hard to convince us.:love:
I would go with you guys in a heartbeat there is only one BUT....

You all have to pay for our trip (because we simply don't have the money for this ABD).
So if you come up with a little less then $9000 ($8983 to be exact)
WE ARE DEFINITIVE IN!!!

Disney Enabler
08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
A couple of the no thrills motels that we have stayed at are the Tropicana and also the Carousel. They are located directly across the street from Disneyland on the Bus Terminal side, the opposite side of Downtown Disney. They are definately in walking distance and in the morning it is quite the stroller parade from all these motels to the Park. We have found them to be relatively inexpensive and clean. Both have website if you want to learn more about them.

Hope that helps.

Carol

Merry Mousketeer
08-11-2010, 01:31 PM
A couple of the no thrills motels that we have stayed at ...

"No thrills"? Well, thanks a lot!! :rolleyes:

DisneyKevin
08-11-2010, 01:42 PM
"No thrills"? Well, thanks a lot!! :rolleyes:

Ok...that made me snort.:rotfl2:

skunkvette
08-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Add us to the list, we just signed up for our return tour (we were on Ver 1.0 in April)!

Believe me this is a great trip, can't wait to have even more adventures this time around!

Frank and Cathy Giordano

bamagoofy
08-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Add one more to the list. I am very excited and can't wait to meet everyone.

Chandra

Merry Mousketeer
08-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Welcome to our newest travel mates! We're looking forward to meeting you.

DisneyKevin
08-13-2010, 12:57 PM
I have added a list of those traveling on the ABD who have givem me permission to add their names.

If you would like me to add yours.....just drop me an email at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

Circusgirl
08-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Add us to the list, we just signed up for our return tour (we were on Ver 1.0 in April)!

Believe me this is a great trip, can't wait to have even more adventures this time around!

Frank and Cathy Giordano

Woohoo! So glad you'll be there!!!! :woohoo::woohoo:

skunkvette
08-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Woohoo! So glad you'll be there!!!! :woohoo::woohoo:

Looking forward to seeing you again!!

jennselke
08-14-2010, 10:39 AM
My husband and I will be going. We have an annual pass to WDW but have not been to Disneyland. Seems like this is a great introduction. I did the backstage tour with Pete and Walter in June 2010 and I recognize some of the names. We are about 6 hours from LA so we may drive. Does anyone know how this tour would work with a car? Also thinking about adding a few days on both sides. In June 2010 I stayed at the Howard Johnson's across the street. It was no frills, walking distance, and acceptable.

DisneyKevin
08-14-2010, 11:02 AM
My husband and I will be going. We have an annual pass to WDW but have not been to Disneyland. Seems like this is a great introduction. I did the backstage tour with Pete and Walter in June 2010 and I recognize some of the names. We are about 6 hours from LA so we may drive. Does anyone know how this tour would work with a car? Also thinking about adding a few days on both sides. In June 2010 I stayed at the Howard Johnson's across the street. It was no frills, walking distance, and acceptable.

When driving, you can park your car at the Grand Californian at no charge.

ABD will provide transfers from the hotel at 1:00pm on the day your Adventure begins.

If you have other questions, you caN reach me at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

mikelan6
08-14-2010, 11:05 AM
We are about 6 hours from LA so we may drive. Does anyone know how this tour would work with a car?

The ABD FAQ web page states that you may park your car at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and that they will take you by bus to the start of the tour in Hollywood.

I hope this helps.

4) If I am already in Southern California, can I drive my own vehicle and meet the group on Day 1 of the trip?

For those driving a vehicle on Day 1 of your trip, you may self-park at the Grand Californian Hotel as we offer one coach transfer from the Grand Californian Hotel to the Renaissance Hotel. Your vehicle will then be available for pick-up at the Grand Californian Hotel at the end of your vacation. A guest may also pick up a transfer from LAX by meeting at Terminal 7, United Airlines at Noon by the Baggage Claim Information Desk and this can be arranged through your Concierge Agent as well.

skunkvette
08-14-2010, 02:38 PM

Welcome to the group!

My wife and I had our first visit to Disneyland this past April with the first DIS Backstage Adventure, and it was a great way to see Disneyland for the first time.

On this trip we already have added days to both ends of our trip, to correct the mistake we made last time, when we left for home the day the adventure was completed.

mikelan6
08-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Please add another Michael to the list. I just sent in my request to Kevin and I will be sharing a room with stitchlover.

This is gonna be awesome!

stitchlover
08-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Add me too! Woohoo! Suzette

planaholic
08-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Go ahead and add my name too! I've booked a single, but I hope to have a roommate join my reservation at some point.

- Lindsay

DisneyKevin
08-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Just a reminder....

If you have submitted a request today or intend to submit one tomorrow.....I will be booking these on Monday.

That being said...please do not fret or worry...your space is reserved.

mikelan6
08-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Add me too! Woohoo! Suzette

Go ahead and add my name too! I've booked a single, but I hope to have a roommate join my reservation at some point.

- Lindsay

This is great news. California, here we come.

planaholic
08-14-2010, 06:06 PM
No worries, here:littleangel:! You're more than entitled to enjoy your weekend, Kevin! Thank you so much for all your help & advice. :goodvibes

Disney Enabler
08-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Welcome to everyone who has just signed up. Our group is starting to fill in!

Jen - We met on the Backstage tour last year. It will be great to meet your husband and spend time with you again. You won't be able to say you haven't been to Disneyland anymore. :-) Michael and I will also be driving down. We are planning on staying two days on both ends of the trip.

How many people are going on Podcast 2.0 cruise in December?

Carol

mikelan6
08-14-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks! I'll also be on PCC2.0. See ya there.

stitchlover
08-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Welcome to everyone who has just signed up.

Thanks! Really excited to be able to join everyone for the trip. :wave:

I won't be on the Podcast cruise. The "baby" (almost 15 years old) will be in school at that time and that is my husband's busy time of the year at the office. So I will have to be content with the February trip. :rotfl:

Actually of the two the ABD is the one I really wanted to go on! Hope all of you on the cruise have a wonderful time. Can't wait to meet all of you in February.

DisneyKevin
08-14-2010, 10:37 PM
OKay....I dont want to freak out the folks that have submitted requests today (but wont get booked till Monday). You folks are FINE.

But the February 20 - 25th Backstage Magic Adventure is getting close to be sold out.

WOOHOO!!!!

princessbride6205
08-14-2010, 11:33 PM
EEK! I didn't think this one would be so fast to sell out.

Okay, I did it. I booked. I am so excited!

Circusgirl
08-15-2010, 12:56 AM

Jen - We met on the Backstage tour last year. It will be great to meet your husband and spend time with you again. You won't be able to say you haven't been to Disneyland anymore. :-) Michael and I will also be driving down. We are planning on staying two days on both ends of the trip.

Carol

I'll be sailing! It's my very first cruise.

I spent the day today at the Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet and heard Margaret Kerry, Bob Gurr and David Lesjak speak. Margaret Kerry was the figure model for Tinkerbell, and gave a fantastic talk which concluded with her reading out loud from Peter Pan. She was a comedienne and dancer as well as an actress and was in 129 episodes of The Three Stooges, among other things. If you ever have a chance to see her, run there. She was completely delightful and funny and her reading of the story was magical.

David Lesjak had a terrific presentation on the history of the Hyperion Studios, with lots of very cool pictures. He succeeded in giving a real sense of the experiences of a time when the Studios were constantly expanding.

Bob Gurr is a rock star. He is hilarious and smart, and it was fantastic to sit and hear him talk about working with Walt and John Hench and all the other amazing early crew, and describing his own experiences with designing so many of the quintessential things about the attractions and parks. I can't wait to see him again!

The Mouse Meet was a totally sweet event. Bonus = Dole Whip concession!

bannermouse
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Mike and Suzette, I am glad the two of you worked out being roommates together so that you can both make the trip! Looking forward to meeting the two of you......and everyone else who has signed on.

Rose and I were originally going on PCC 2.0, but had to cancel. I am going with family members in May on a cruise on the new Disney Dream and could not afford 2 cruises within 5 months of each other.

Have you all noticed that [so far] we have 3 Mike/Michaels going on the Feb. trip?

Bannermouse

princessbride6205
08-15-2010, 10:04 PM
To answer the question about PCC 2.0, I won't be attending. I really wanted to do the cruise; I literally shrieked when the podcast announced that Jodi Benson would be there. But I didn't see myself enjoying that as a solo parent with a preschooler, as DH will be on a work trip.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in February!

mikelan6
08-16-2010, 08:21 AM
In case you don't already have me as a Facebook friend, here's a link to my page (http://www.facebook.com/mikelan6) if you'd like to friend me.

Please send a note along with the request that you're from the DIS or on ABD! Thanks!

stitchlover
08-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Kevin,

I am starting to look at my airfare. I see that they say you need to be at LAX no later than 1pm. If you arrive earlier is there more than one shuttle to the hotel during the day or do you end up hanging out at LAX waiting? Is that a stupid question?

The arrival time options for me are 10:10, 11:20 and 12:25. I'm leaning toward taking the flight that gets me there at 11:20 just in case there is a delay, etc.

Thanks for any information you can provide me.

Suzette

planaholic
08-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Kevin,
I see that they say you need to be at LAX no later than 1pm.

1pm? Really. :scared1: That means I will be taking a 5:30am flight out of the airport that is 1.5 hours away from my house. To say I will be tired, is a bit of an understatement :rotfl:

Ah, the joys of living in the pseudo-rural south!

Pure-excitement will see me through, I'm sure! :banana:

stitchlover
08-16-2010, 07:22 PM
1pm? Really.

Lindsay,

Keep in mind that I am just going by the information on the ABD site. I'm sure Kevin will clear this up if I am wrong. But the ABD site says arrive at LAX no later than 1pm. Then it says on departure day that there are shuttles going to LAX or SNA at 11am, 1pm and 4pm.

I am just basing my flight arrangements on those times. As I said I'm sure Kevin will clear it up if we don't actually need to be at LAX by 1pm. I'm thinking about taking an American Airlines flight that will get me there about 11:30.

Hope this helps!

See ya!

DisneyKevin
08-16-2010, 08:44 PM
1pm? Really. :scared1: That means I will be taking a 5:30am flight out of the airport that is 1.5 hours away from my house. To say I will be tired, is a bit of an understatement :rotfl:

Ah, the joys of living in the pseudo-rural south!

Pure-excitement will see me through, I'm sure! :banana:

ABD asks that everyone be "on the ground" by 1:00pm.

This allows the transportation folks to make sure everyone is at the hotel, checked in and has a chance to freshen up (or nap) before the Welcome Dinner.

The good news is that the first day doesnt have a lot planned activities, so that if you need to make it an early night....you can.

That being said...the next morning starts early with a fullmorning and part of the afternoon.

Hope that helps.

*NikkiBell*
08-16-2010, 08:46 PM
I noticed this the other night. Early morning for me as well!

princessbride6205
08-16-2010, 09:52 PM
I have been on the 9am Minneapolis to LAX flight more times than I can count. It arrives at 11am, so that will be great. It's nice when my work travel knowledge comes in handy. :cool1:

jennselke
08-16-2010, 10:45 PM

Where do you like to stay? We will also come down before and try to stay after.

Still getting the hang of the boards. I thought I subscribed by email and then only got one post.

It is great to be part of a group of planners who don't think I'm crazy when I talk plans for FEB11. I have 3 trips to WDW before this one in Feb to Disneyland but never having been to Disneyland - it is a bit more stressful.

Merry Mousketeer
08-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Hello!

It's great to see that this trip is almost sold out! I was sure it would be the last one to sell out since it's the first one after the winter holidays and vacation.

Carol and I haven't totally decided on where we're staying before the trip. We keep going round and round about it. We'll keep you posted.

And you're right - planning is half the fun!!

Michael

Circusgirl
08-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Where do you like to stay? We will also come down before and try to stay after.

Still getting the hang of the boards. I thought I subscribed by email and then only got one post.

It is great to be part of a group of planners who don't think I'm crazy when I talk plans for FEB11. I have 3 trips to WDW before this one in Feb to Disneyland but never having been to Disneyland - it is a bit more stressful.

One of the nice things about this trip is that it gives you the primo first tour of DLR. I'd never planned less, since so many things are set and taken care of, but always felt like I was getting the best of the best in terms of touring.

With extra days you can try different dining options and will have time to return to your favorites and see things not emphasized during the tour.

I have always stayed on property since getting an annual pass because the AP room discounts bring the DLR hotels into my price range. The discount has often been 40% off rack. They unfortunately sometimes don't announce the discounts until the month or a few weeks before, and since this is a holiday week the prices will be at a higher rate even with the discount. The Disneyland Hotel's central courtyard will be undergoing heavy renovation and construction this year, so I would stick with the Paradise Pier or Grand Californian for this trip. The PP has large, lovely rooms and nice theming. Their theme park view rooms look down into California Adventure and are very fun. It is also across the street from the Grand, and therefore only a slightly longer walk.

Many of the local hotels (HoJos, Candy Cane Inn, Fairview Inn and the Annabella to name a few) have devoted fans. I like the immersion factor of being on property so I haven't ventured out to Harbor Boulevard. There is lots of good information on the Disneyland threads about the different options.

bannermouse
08-17-2010, 06:35 AM
We are adding two days after the ABD trip, that Friday and Saturday night. Still trying to decide whether or not to fly in a day early. Anyone who is coming in a day or two early, what do you plan to do those extra days? The Friday and Saturday after the ABD trip, we are planning on touring more of Disneyand and California Adventure, but not sure what we would do if we came in the one day early? Any suggestions?

Bannermouse

bannermouse
08-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Wanted to add to the post that if we would arrive Saturday, Feb. 19th, we would arrive at LAX at 1:10 pm. Coming in on Sunday, the 20th, we would arrive at LAX at 12:30 pm which is the earliest flight on Southwest from New Orleans.

Bannermouse

mikelan6
08-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Still trying to decide whether or not to fly in a day early. Anyone who is coming in a day or two early, what do you plan to do those extra days? The Friday and Saturday after the ABD trip, we are planning on touring more of Disneyand and California Adventure, but not sure what we would do if we came in the one day early? Any suggestions?

I'm in the same situation at the moment before booking airfare. Originally, I was thinking of going to Las Vegas after the tour, but that didn't work out.

I've always wanted to visit the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library (about an hour north of LA), so I might do that either before or after. Decisions, decisions!

carpedm
08-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi everyone. I just received confirmation that our reservation for this trip has been booked, so as Kevin said in the confirmation email, WE'RE GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!

It will just be my wife, Marci, and I. We're going to leave the kids with my parents who live in San Diego, although my wife is very nervous about this since the kids will be 22 months and 4 years old. We live in Walden, NY and will be traveling out a few days early to visit my parents before the adventure.

We're looking forward to meeting everyone.

Plutes
08-17-2010, 01:08 PM
We're staying a couple of nights both pre- and post- ABD. We'll be flying in on Friday night, the 18th, and I booked a room at Hojo's, based on stuff I read on the Disneyland board, plus a reasonable rate. (I think it was $98/night with the AAA discount). Our two post-nights (2/25 & 2/26), we used our DVC points at GCV.

We contemplated spending all of our extra time in the parks, but I've never been to California, so I kinda want to do the cheesy, touristy thing! ;) I researched a few bus companies that run all-day trips to see the sights, and the prices weren't bad at all. Jimmy also has a friend who lives in San Diego, so we might try to work something out with him and his family, as well! Our post nights will definitely be spent exclusively at Disney, though!

Also, I think I goofed with our airfare. I didn't do enough of my homework, and never realized there were set times for the return shuttles. I booked us on the first flight out to Newark, departing at 7 am. With the time difference, it should get us back into NJ around 3:30 p.m. I figured that was our best bet, since we'll both be returning to work the following morning. (ICK! :headache:) So, I guess now I'll be researching shuttle companies, too! My bad...

mikelan6
08-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Also, I think I goofed with our airfare. I didn't do enough of my homework, and never realized there were set times for the return shuttles. I booked us on the first flight out to Newark, departing at 7 am. With the time difference, it should get us back into NJ around 3:30 p.m. I figured that was our best bet, since we'll both be returning to work the following morning. (ICK! :headache:) So, I guess now I'll be researching shuttle companies, too! My bad...

If you booked this within 24 hours, you may still be able to get a refund or change it without penalty. If not, just wait until your airline inevitably makes a schedule change, then you can call them and ask to change the flight, and they will most likely allow you to change it without penalty, as long as there's space on the flight.

skunkvette
08-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Concerning return transportation to LAX from the Grand California, (and I am sure Kevin will correct this if I am wrong), but on the First Dis/ADB trip, the return transfer to the airport was only valid during the last day of the ABD itinerary.

If you were staying past the last ABD day, you had to get yourself to the airport.

We are staying two extra days post trip at the GC, and figure on getting a town car or shuttle for our mid Sunday morning trip to LAX on 2/27/11.

Anyone interested in sharing a town car or van?

Merry Mousketeer
08-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi everyone. I just received confirmation that our reservation for this trip has been booked, so as Kevin said in the confirmation email, WE'RE GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!

It will just be my wife, Marci, and I. We're going to leave the kids with my parents who live in San Diego, although my wife is very nervous about this since the kids will be 22 months and 4 years old. We live in Walden, NY and will be traveling out a few days early to visit my parents before the adventure.

We're looking forward to meeting everyone.

Welcome to what I am confident will be the most fun of all the ABD trips! And remember, San Diego is a short drive from where we'll be! Our son is in the Navy and when he and his family were stationed in San Diego they'd drive up to meet us at Disneyland.

Plutes
08-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Concerning return transportation to LAX from the Grand California, (and I am sure Kevin will correct this if I am wrong), but on the First Dis/ADB trip, the return transfer to the airport was only valid during the last day of the ABD itinerary.

If you were staying past the last ABD day, you had to get yourself to the airport.

We are staying two extra days post trip at the GC, and figure on getting a town car or shuttle for our mid Sunday morning trip to LAX on 2/27/11.

Anyone interested in sharing a town car or van?

You know, I sent so many emails with questions to poor Kevin, that I could very possibly be confused/wrong, but...

I could've sworn that he said they would still handle the transfers if you decided to stay a few extra days, provided you were leaving from the GC. So, definitely wait on confirmation from him before you book your car/van!

I wish we could share with you, but we'll be leaving when it's still dark outside...UGH! I'm already dreading that part! ;)

And, Mike, I think we're just going to stick it out with the airfare that we booked. I would rather have to pay for a shuttle or car service to the airport and still get home at a decent hour. We're going to be wiped out as it is. Getting home Sunday NIGHT would be even worse! But, thanks for the tip! :thumbsup2

Plutes
08-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Ignore what I just said in that previous post! :lmao:

I went back and checked my emails with Kevin, and he said that ABD will still provide transportation if you book the extra nights through them.

Okay...keeping my mouth shut now! Sorry! :guilty:

skunkvette
08-17-2010, 03:43 PM
You know, I sent so many emails with questions to poor Kevin, that I could very possibly be confused/wrong, but...

I could've sworn that he said they would still handle the transfers if you decided to stay a few extra days, provided you were leaving from the GC. So, definitely wait on confirmation from him before you book your car/van!

I wish we could share with you, but we'll be leaving when it's still dark outside...UGH! I'm already dreading that part! ;)

And, Mike, I think we're just going to stick it out with the airfare that we booked. I would rather have to pay for a shuttle or car service to the airport and still get home at a decent hour. We're going to be wiped out as it is. Getting home Sunday NIGHT would be even worse! But, thanks for the tip! :thumbsup2

I am sure Kevin will chime in on the return to airport transfer issue, as I said before I may be wrong on what I remember - it was a very busy trip but tons of fun!

Frank

stitchlover
08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
You know, I sent so many emails with questions to poor Kevin, that I could very possibly be confused/wrong,

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has sent the poor man a bunch of emails! I can't imagine what it's like trying to schedule all 3 of these trips and all of us! :scared1:

DisneyKevin
08-17-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm back.

ABD will provide transportation as long as you remain under the ABD reservation.

If you are returning to the airport on the last day of the Adventure, ABD will provide transportation well into the evening hours on that last day.

If you book additional night through ABD, they will provide transportation.

If you book additional nights through any other outlet (such as directly through Disney, DVC, on your own etc) then you are responsible for your own transportation.

This is also true on the front end of trip.

ABD will provide transportation to the Hollywood Renaissance from LAX or the Grand Californian on the day the adventure begins. They will also provide transportation if you book additional nights at the HR through ABD.

If you book additional nights through any other outlet (such as directly throughthe hotel or any other outlet) then you are responsible for your own transportation.

Hope that helps.

stitchlover
08-17-2010, 05:21 PM
If you are returning to the airport on the last day of the Adventure, ABD will provide transportation well into the evening hours on that last day.

so the 4pm shuttle time listed on the ABD website is not the last shuttle of the day? I'm still trying to decide on my return flight Friday.

DisneyKevin
08-17-2010, 05:29 PM
so the 4pm shuttle time listed on the ABD website is not the last shuttle of the day? I'm still trying to decide on my return flight Friday.

They will provide transfers well into the evening hours.

In case your curious...I did copy and paste that.

We had folks on the last adventure return to the airport for an 11:40pm flight.

This meant they had to leave at approximately 9:00pm.

stitchlover
08-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks! That's great news. I was afraid 4pm was the last one. Thanks for the information!

mikelan6
08-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Great news indeed. I'm not sure if I want to fly home on a red-eye flight though. Ick.

stitchlover
08-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Great news indeed. I'm not sure if I want to fly home on a red-eye flight though. Ick.

I just looked and the latest AA flight back to DFW is 7pm. So I'm considering that one. I would like to spend some time Friday enjoying some time in the park or Downtown Disney.

*NikkiBell*
08-17-2010, 08:29 PM
This isn't good news for many of us. I remember Pete saying ABD/Disney said that rooms post-ABD were around $500. That's ridiculous. Why would I pay that when I could DVC? If I'm staying and pumping in more money to Disney even if it is via a DVC reservation, they should honor the transfer to the airport. Just my two cents.

DisneyKevin
08-17-2010, 08:41 PM
This isn't good news for many of us. I remember Pete saying ABD/Disney said that rooms post-ABD were around $500. That's ridiculous. Why would I pay that when I could DVC? If I'm staying and pumping in more money to Disney even if it is via a DVC reservation, they should honor the transfer to the airport. Just my two cents.

DVC and ABD are two different businesses under the same company name.

This is very much like saying..."If I'm buying a one day ticket to the Magic Kingdom, I should be able to do what the ABD folks get to do. "

I'd also have to ask...if you are pumping money into Disney...why isnt DVC transporting you back to the airport?

Apples and oranges.

*NikkiBell*
08-17-2010, 08:52 PM
I agree.

-writing letter to DVC-

mikelan6
08-17-2010, 09:36 PM
In my opinion, if the tour includes transfers, we should be able to use them no matter where we stay. Maybe the could offer a voucher for the Disneyland Express or a credit. Wishful thinking huh?

*NikkiBell*
08-17-2010, 09:57 PM
I agree, Mike.

DisneyKevin
08-17-2010, 10:18 PM
In my opinion, if the tour includes transfers, we should be able to use them no matter where we stay. Maybe the could offer a voucher for the Disneyland Express or a credit. Wishful thinking huh?

The ABD tour does include transfers.

The tour is 5 nights and 6 days and then the tour ends. You are welcome to use the transfers provided at the beginning and end of the tour.

ABD offers the opportunity to use their transportation, if you wish to book additional nights through them.

Booking reservations on your own or through DVC is not part of the tour and transfers are not included.

It's pretty much a cut and dried issue.

Puffpatty
08-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Back from WDW for a week now and I just submitted my vacation request. Hoping to join you all on this trip and on PC2.0. Hoping the bosses here don't screw me over and deny my request....interoffice drama prevented us from booking this trip in July 2010 but I am so hoping to make this...

I need a little pixie dust on this one!

bannermouse
08-18-2010, 08:26 PM
pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

Bannermouse

stitchlover
08-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Patty hope everything works out and you get to join us. Sending pixie dust your way! :goodvibes

mjaclyn
08-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Where can I find the most information about details on this trip? DH just booked it without asking me so I have 14 days to do research and decide!!

princessbride6205
08-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Would love to have you join us, mjaclyn!
I'm sure everyone here would be happy to help convince you! But I take it you want more actual information. ;) If you're not worried about possible spoilers or too much information, check out the trip reports in the ABD forum. Have you listened to the podcasts that discussed the April and July trips this year? The podcast after the April trip was what sold me. The ABD website has the trip itinerary, if you want the "brochure version." :surfweb:

stitchlover
08-18-2010, 11:24 PM
If those resources don't give you enough info you can always email Kevin direct. He has been so patient answering everyones questions.

Kevin@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

Good luck with your research!

Nicole...we should both be asleep by now!

mjaclyn
08-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks so much! I'm reading up on the trip reports now! :-)

bannermouse
08-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Thanks to Kevin securing us a hotel room for Saturday, February 19th, we have made our flight arrangements. We are flying out of New Orleans to LAX on Saturday, Feb. 19th, arriving early afternoon. We are returning to New Orleans from LAX on Saturday, February 26th, arriving mid-afternoon. We are staying in the Grand Californian on the night of the 25th with DVC points. We are so looking forward to this trip and meeting all of you other attendees. Thanks again Kevin for all your help!

Bannermouse

mikelan6
08-19-2010, 08:30 AM
I just read in one of the ABD trip reports that during the day in DCA, the group is back doored into the Tower of Terror. Just to let you all know, unless I'm sitting next to Prince Valium, there is no way I am doing this. I'll meet you all at the chicken exit.

mjaclyn
08-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Mike, if DH and I end up going you can sit with me. ToT is not my favorite ride... I may actually be sitting out more than one LOL.

stitchlover
08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Back doored into Tower of Terror???? AWESOME! I'm there. Have you seen anything about being back doored onto California Screamin'? I LOVE that ride.

mikelan6
08-19-2010, 09:56 AM
I haven't read about being back doored into California Screamin', but the TR I read did mention that they did a group ride on that too.

For the record, I won't go on this one either ... unless Bob Iger is sitting next to me.

skunkvette
08-19-2010, 10:07 AM
We were not offered California Screamin' in April as a backdoor opportunity, but I will say if offered the Nemo subs backdoor again this time, (after the 'bottoming out issue' in April), I will politely decline!

corky441
08-19-2010, 10:24 AM
We were not offered California Screamin' in April as a backdoor opportunity, but I will say if offered the Nemo subs backdoor again this time, (after the 'bottoming out issue' in April), I will politely decline!

Awe - that was the best part :rotfl2:

stitchlover
08-19-2010, 10:46 AM
For the record, I won't go on this one either ... unless Bob Iger is sitting next to me.

Anything else you won't ride? I've only been out there once so I can't remember what else might be out of the question. They have a Big Thunder Mountain, right? Will you ride that?

mikelan6
08-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Anything else you won't ride? I've only been out there once so I can't remember what else might be out of the question. They have a Big Thunder Mountain, right? Will you ride that?

I'll ride Big Thunder (adore it) and the Matterhorn. Space Mountain at Disneyland is THE BEST Space Mountain in the WORLD. I won't ride that Maliboomer thing, which should be gone by February.

Oh, and I also have to be in a good mood to ride Splash Mountain. :scared1:

stitchlover
08-19-2010, 02:18 PM
I'll ride Big Thunder (adore it) and the Matterhorn. Space Mountain at Disneyland is THE BEST Space Mountain in the WORLD.
Oh, and I also have to be in a good mood to ride Splash Mountain. :scared1:

Space Mountain there is definitely the best.

I think it might be to cold to ride Splash Mountain while we are there. I really like it but if it's in the 60's during the day I'm not walking around in wet clothes

princessbride6205
08-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I think I'm game for all the rides at DL and DCA, except getting wet.
I don't even remember Mailboomer...

Reading all of these has gotten me even more excited for the parks part of the trip! It's really stirred up how much I love DL. pixiedust:

mikelan6
08-19-2010, 03:42 PM
I don't even remember Mailboomer...

Maliboomer is the ride that shoots riders up and down a tower. It's set to close next month.

Another great ride at DCA is Grizzly River Run rapids, but it might be too cold for that one as well.

stitchlover
08-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Reading all of these has gotten me even more excited for the parks part of the trip! It's really stirred up how much I love DL. pixiedust:

I'm the same way. I've only been to DL once for 3 days in June 2008 and I was under the weather and on antibiotics while we were there. So I'm excited to go back and see everything and ride some of those rides! I'm thinking about staying around a little while on Friday to absorb a little more time in Disneyland since I don't know when I'll be back again.

mikelan6
08-19-2010, 07:15 PM
I booked some tentative flights, arriving Saturday morning and returning on Friday noon. I'm still debating it, and have until Tuesday to "buy" the tickets.

stitchlover
08-19-2010, 08:33 PM
The flights from DFW on American actually went up about $5 today. I can't decide if I should buy or wait a little while and see if they go down. I really don't want to fly Southwest because the airport is further away and you can't fly from Dallas Love Field direct unless it is within the state or a bordering state.

Have considered asking Kevin to get me rates for a Saturday evening stay so I could come in the day before. But haven't done it yet.

DisneyKevin
08-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Have considered asking Kevin to get me rates for a Saturday evening stay so I could come in the day before. But haven't done it yet.

$307.58

Am I good or what?:thumbsup2

John and I will be arriving on Saturday.

stitchlover
08-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks Kevin! You're good.

If I booked that through ABD they would provide my transpiration from the airport, right? Even though it's a day early? Also do we need to be prepared to tip the drivers or is that taken care of? I know we need to tip the tour guides.

bannermouse
08-20-2010, 06:32 AM
We are arriving Saturday also as Kevin secured a room for us Saturday night. That Kevin is such a good guy.:thumbsup2

Bannermouse

Yvet
08-20-2010, 07:06 AM
When you arrive a few days early or stay a few days after (and you don't book the extra stay thru ABD) then you need a other way of transportation to and from the airport.

Here is some information about shuttle companies.
It's cheap!!!!

I have used them myself when i was at UCLA and i have used them a few times.
From LAX to UCLA
From DL to LAX to UCLA
http://www.supershuttle.com/Default.aspx

and there is also this one but i never used these.
http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/

I hope this info helps!!!

bannermouse
08-20-2010, 07:13 AM
I think I would like to try all the rides; now Rose will almost surely not ride all of them. By the way, this will be our first visit to Disneyland. Maybe with everyone's help, we can talk her into riding Space Mountain (she hasn't ridden Space Mountain in WDW in many years). I agree is it to cool/cold that I wouldn't ride the water rides. Hopefully, one of the days we are in Disneyland, it will warm up a little.

Bannermouse

bannermouse
08-20-2010, 07:18 AM
I went on the Supershuttle site you mentioned. It looked pretty neat and we probably will use it when we leave on Saturday, Feb. 26th. Thanks for the info!

Bannermouse

mikelan6
08-20-2010, 08:30 AM
$300+ a night for the Renaissance Hollywood seems kind of high to me. I've been checking prices and, although promotional rates for February 2011 have not yet been released, it still seems high.

Besides the point, I don't know if I want to be in Hollywood that night. LOL. I've always wanted to visit the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, so I might drive up there. I am renting a car when I arrive.

Another option might be to visit Universal, which I have not been in a long time.

Kevin, am I safe to assume that I can get picked up by ABD on Sunday morning, even if I am not arriving that very same morning on a plane?

Ah ... decisions, decisions.

Yvet
08-20-2010, 09:09 AM
This is what Kathy replied to my shuttle tip in our ADB thread:

Super Shuttle can be a pain when it stops to pick up more people. I highly recommend the Disneyland bus by Gray Line to get to DL and back!!!! It is so easy and much better than being cramped in a van.

http://www.coachamerica.com/graylineanaheim/tours_shuttles.cfm

stitchlover
08-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Besides the point, I don't know if I want to be in Hollywood that night. LOL. I've always wanted to visit the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, so I might drive up there. I am renting a car when I arrive.

Another option might be to visit Universal, which I have not been in a long time.

Sounds like you have some good ideas. I have heard wonderful things about the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library but I think I might be a little too nervous to rent a car and drive out there. Why? I don't know. I grew up driving in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex which isn't exactly easy.

I have a friend who is living out there now (until late November) and he was going on and on about Universal when I saw him this past Sunday for lunch.

Sounds like you have some decisions to make Michael!

I had been chatting with Nancy Johnson about maybe getting together Saturday evening if I came out early. Nikki and I were "along for the ride" via Facebook as she was picking up dinner from a food truck last night and we talked about maybe going to grab a bite to eat if I come in a day early.

So I guess I have some decisions to make too!

stitchlover
08-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Maybe with everyone's help, we can talk her into riding Space Mountain (she hasn't ridden Space Mountain in WDW in many years).
Bannermouse

Then we need to get Rose on Space Mountain. It is WONDERFUL at Disneyland. Not to be missed. My daughter hates Space Mountain at WDW but loves the one at DL and she really isn't a big coaster fan. She will ride Big Thunder Mountain. But she won't ride Everest, Rockin' Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror. None of the big ones. So if she will ride Space Mountain at DL you know it's good!:thumbsup2

bannermouse
08-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Rose won't ride Everest or Rockin Rollercoaster in WDW, but she does right Thunder Mountain and Tower of Terror, so maybe we can convince her to ride Space Mountain in Disneyland.:thumbsup2

bannermouse

bannermouse
08-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks Yvet for the update on the shuttle service. I will look at both companies and than decide which to use.

Bannermouse

stitchlover
08-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Have no idea if you would be interested in this but when we went to DL in 2008 we used a car service. My husband isn't really a "people person" (notice who is NOT going on this tour :rolleyes1) and the shuttle just wanted his type thing.

Here is the information: Go Sedan Cars 800.991.RIDE Their pricing includes Tax and TIP. They take care of the tip. They meet you at the baggage claim area with a sign and the driver takes your bags to the car and loads them and unloads them at the hotel for you.

I called and for 2 people TO the Renaissance is:
$77.88 for a Chrysler 300
$89.68 for a Lincoln Town car

For 2 people FROM Grand Californian to LAX is:
$94.40 for a Chrysler 300
$106.20 for a Lincoln Town Car

We did the Chrysler 300 and there was 3 of us with LOTS of luggage and we had plenty of room.

Like I said I know it might not be for everyone and I'm sure the shuttle is must more reasonably priced. But just in case anyone else is interested in another transportation type.

bannermouse
08-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the latest update Suzette. I will just have more choices to choose between...:dance3:

Bannermouse

bkoehl
08-21-2010, 04:49 PM
So excited! Finally convinced my husband to do this an just sent my reservation in...hope there are still 2 spots available!!!

princessbride6205
08-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Welcome! I'll bet there are still 2 spots.
I did not convince my husband to do the trip, but I did convince him to let me go solo! :laughing:

bkoehl
08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Welcome! I'll bet there are still 2 spots.
I did not convince my husband to do the trip, but I did convince him to let me go solo! :laughing:

Yes, solo was my next angle if he didn't give in!

Merry Mousketeer
08-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Hello and welcome to our newest ABD travelers!

I haven't read any past trip reports because I really want to experience this trip with fresh eyes and no expectations. However, if you have access to the Fall 2010 issue of D23 magazine with Tangled (Rapunzel) on the cover, there is an interesting behind-the-scenes article on the Imagineering campus. After reading the article, I am even more excited about our trip!

I'm not a D23 member this year, but I purchase the magazine at Borders and Barnes & Noble.

See ya real soon!

Michael

mikelan6
08-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Did everyone receive their ABD paperwork yet? My roommate, stitchlover said she got hers, but I haven't yet ... not that I'm worried or anything.

Plutes
08-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Did everyone receive their ABD paperwork yet? My roommate, stitchlover said she got hers, but I haven't yet ... not that I'm worried or anything.

Mike, we got ours right away - just a couple of days after booking! :confused3 Maybe you should check with Kevin...

stitchlover
08-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Michael,
Definitely check with Kevin because one portion of the paperwork says if they don't receive it back in 14 days they will assume you have cancelled. Not that you are approaching your 14 days but you might want to follow up on it. I'm dropping my initial set back in the mail this afternoon when I got back into town near the post office.

Suzette

DisneyKevin
08-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Folks....please do not worry about that 14 day thing.

Consider that a non-issue. Send your forms back in a timely fashion, but dont fret.

Mike...I'm checking with ABD now.

I'm typing while I'm on hold.

stitchlover
08-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Kevin,
Do you sometimes groan and say oh my goodness these people are getting on my nerves? :rotfl:

DisneyKevin
08-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Kevin,
Do you sometimes groan and say oh my goodness these people are getting on my nerves? :rotfl:

Not at all.

No complaints here.:thumbsup2

DisneyKevin
08-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Folks....please do not worry about that 14 day thing.

Consider that a non-issue. Send your forms back in a timely fashion, but dont fret.

Mike...I'm checking with ABD now.

I'm typing while I'm on hold.

I love getting to quote myself.....:)

I've spoken with ABD and they tell me the paperwork went out on 8/17.

I've been asked to wait a few days and if it doesnt show up, let them know and they will send another set.

Mike...just drop me an email if you dont get them by Wednesday or so.

Thanks.

bannermouse
08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Kevin,

I hope it is only "sometimes" :rolleyes1 I can see him asking himself: "Why did we schedule 3 ABD trips for next year, why did we schedule 3 ABD trip for next year, why did we schedule 3 ABD trips for next year?" as a mantra, saying it over and over and over again. :scared1::scared1::scared1:

Bannermouse

princessbride6205
08-23-2010, 03:15 PM
I received my paperwork on Friday.

Did everyone decide on their trip insurance? I have never purchased trip insurance before, but will probably do so this time. I checked out the "Insure My Trip" website and read the paperwork in the packet from ABD.

Mouseketeer Michael - I may have to pick up a copy of that D23 magazine you mentioned.

I read one or two trip reports, but after the 2nd one, was worried about magic spoilage. As much as I want to keep reading, I know I need to step away from the TRs!

The only thing I'm nervous about is that they said on the podcast that ABD may make some tweaks to the adventure for 2011. One of the things that is not on the published itineraries is the park where they visit the Carrolwood Pacific train. If that's gone, it's not a deal-breaker or a trip-ruiner by any means, but I would really love to see it.

mikelan6
08-23-2010, 03:22 PM
I've spoken with ABD and they tell me the paperwork went out on 8/17.

I've been asked to wait a few days and if it doesnt show up, let them know and they will send another set.

Mike...just drop me an email if you dont get them by Wednesday or so.

Thanks.

Will do! I have to "buy" my airline tickets by tomorrow anyway.

DisneyKevin
08-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Did everyone decide on their trip insurance? I have never purchased trip insurance before, but will probably do so this time. I checked out the "Insure My Trip" website and read the paperwork in the packet from ABD.

Mouseketeer Michael - I may have to pick up a copy of that D23 magazine you mentioned.

I read one or two trip reports, but after the 2nd one, was worried about magic spoilage. As much as I want to keep reading, I know I need to step away from the TRs!

The only thing I'm nervous about is that they said on the podcast that ABD may make some tweaks to the adventure for 2011. One of the things that is not on the published itineraries is the park where they visit the Carrolwood Pacific train. If that's gone, it's not a deal-breaker or a trip-ruiner by any means, but I would really love to see it.

The stop at Griffith Park and Walt's Barn has never been part of the published itinerary. It's something ABD considers a "magical moment".

With places like the Dis Boards and trip reports and such...it's harder to keep those "magical moments" a secret.

I would bet BIG bucks that each of the Adventures will stop at Walt's Barn.

I always have to be careful when I say things like this because weather could play a huge part in this, as it's all outside.

carpedm
08-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it...

Do any of the planned meals on the trip have a specific dress code beyond the typical "resort casual?" I know it's pretty early to think about packing, but I'm just trying to figure out if I need to bring any special outfits.

Thanks!

bannermouse
08-23-2010, 03:29 PM

Rose and I purchased the trip insurance. Considering what the trip costs, the insurance didn't seem that much.

Bannermouse

princessbride6205
08-23-2010, 03:34 PM
The stop at Griffith Park and Walt's Barn has never been part of the published itinerary. It's something ABD considers a "magical moment".

With places like the Dis Boards and trip reports and such...it's harder to keep those "magical moments" a secret.

I would bet BIG bucks that each of the Adventures will stop at Walt's Barn.

I always have to be careful when I say things like this because weather could play a huge part in this, as it's all outside.
I think I was unclear - I know that this stop has never been on the published itineraries. And since it is a magical moment (but such a cool one!), I know it may not always be there. I was more wondering what the changes could be for 2011, since the published itineraries are exactly the same as this year. And I was hoping that the barn would not be one of the changes. Don't worry, Kevin - I won't hold you to that bet! :thumbsup2

Disney Enabler
08-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Michael and I purchased the trip insurance also.

One thing I have learned in the last year is just how quickly life can change.

Circusgirl
08-23-2010, 08:09 PM
I love getting to quote myself.....:)

And I love getting to quote you, quoting yourself!!! You made me snort. :goodvibes

stitchlover
08-23-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it...

Do any of the planned meals on the trip have a specific dress code beyond the typical "resort casual?" I know it's pretty early to think about packing, but I'm just trying to figure out if I need to bring any special outfits.

Thanks!

As always, I'm sure someone (Kevin, but whose naming names? :rolleyes1) will correct me if I'm wrong...I read on the ABD website that one "smart" outfit is recommended. Actually, here is a cut and paste from their website:

Casual and comfortable clothes are recommended for most activities, although one "smart casual" outfit is recommended. Layered clothes are best, especially sweaters or jackets for cooler mornings and evenings.

Hope that helps. Not too sure what Smart Casual is. I'm assuming with Pete along it will not be shirts with the sleeves cut off since those appear not to be a favorite of his. Not that I HAVE any of those.

mikelan6
08-24-2010, 08:55 AM
OK ... My airline ticket has been issued.

California, here we come!

Disney Enabler
08-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Booked the 2 pre-nights at the Tropicana. YEAH! Who will be arriving early? Let's plan to get together.

I know it is months away but it is exciting to have something so fun to look forward to attending.

It's a great day to be alive!
Carol

bannermouse
08-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Booked the 2 pre-nights at the Tropicana. YEAH! Who will be arriving early? Let's plan to get together.

I know it is months away but it is exciting to have something so fun to look forward to attending.

Carol

We will be arrining Saturday mid day. we are staying the extra night at the Hollywood Renaissance. It would be cool to get together before Sunday's supper.:thumbsup2

Bannermouse

bannermouse
08-24-2010, 11:58 AM

Carol

We will be arriving midday Saturday staying Saturday night at the Hollywood Renaissance. It would be cool to get together before Sunday's supper.:thumbsup2

bannermouse
08-24-2010, 12:02 PM
OK ... My airline ticket has been issued.

California, here we come!

Great, glad you have your reservations. Reminds me to send our flight info into ABD.

Sorry about the previous double post.:sad:

Bannermouse

DisneyKevin
08-24-2010, 01:19 PM
All travel info should be emailed to me.

I"lll make sure ABD has all of your info.

Thanks.

bannermouse
08-24-2010, 01:26 PM

I"lll make sure ABD has all of your info.

Thanks.

Will do. Thanks,

Bannermouse

mikelan6
08-24-2010, 02:51 PM

Sure! I'd like to request sunny skies, temperature in the 70's, low humidity and a calm ocean breeze, please. :goodvibes:goodvibes

carpedm
08-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Sure! I'd like to request sunny skies, temperature in the 70's, low humidity and a calm ocean breeze, please. :goodvibes:goodvibes

Well, we're going to the right place, even in February...

bannermouse
08-25-2010, 02:04 PM
According to "he who knows" :worship:, we are now OFFICIALLY IN AND GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!!!!!!!:cool1:

And look, I am already up to 200 posts and it has only taken me a little over
3 days, oh, sorry, I guess that is actually over 3 years, not 3 days. Oh, well. :confused3:confused3

Bannermouse, the proficient poster:rotfl2:

DisneyKevin
08-25-2010, 02:15 PM
According to "he who knows" :worship:, we are now OFFICIALLY IN AND GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!!!!!!!:cool1:

And look, I am already up to 200 posts and it has only taken me a little over
3 days, oh, sorry, I guess that is actually over 3 years, not 3 days. Oh, well. :confused3:confused3

Bannermouse, the proficient poster:rotfl2:

Well.....y'all are OFFICIAL, but Michael has sent in his paperwork and ABD has his flight information logged.

I guess this makes him more OFFICIAL and the rest of you...slackers.:lmao::lmao:

mikelan6
08-25-2010, 02:24 PM
My paperwork was hijacked somewhere between California and Florida, so I'm excused. In the age of computers and iPads, why does paperwork even exist?

bannermouse
08-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Well.....y'all are OFFICIAL, but Michael has sent in his paperwork and ABD has his flight information logged.

I guess this makes him more OFFICIAL and the rest of you...slackers.:lmao::lmao:

I may be the biggest "slacker" with my humongous posting total of
wait.............wait...............wait, yes 201 posts.:scared1:

Bannermouse

DisneyKevin
08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
My paperwork was hijacked somewhere between California and Florida, so I'm excused. In the age of computers and iPads, why does paperwork even exist?

Mike is excused.;)

Disney Enabler
08-25-2010, 10:30 PM

We are going to have to create some kind of code to know which Michael you are referencing.

We sent our paperwork about a week ago. We have no flight information since we are driving down.

Kevin What info do you want to know our pre-night and post-night arrangements? I have made reservations, post will be 2 nights in DVC at GC Villas and the pre will be 2 nights at the Tropicana. Let me know if you need additional information.

Carol

DisneyKevin
08-25-2010, 11:47 PM
We are going to have to create some kind of code to know which Michael you are referencing.

We sent our paperwork about a week ago. We have no flight information since we are driving down.

Kevin What info do you want to know our pre-night and post-night arrangements? I have made reservations, post will be 2 nights in DVC at GC Villas and the pre will be 2 nights at the Tropicana. Let me know if you need additional information.

Carol

Hi Carol,

I was actually teasing Michael (Bannermouse) and all the rest of you too.

While Bannermouse has booked his flights and I have logged them with ABD, there is really no hurry to do this. We have a couple of months before this becomes necessary.

That being said, there is no reason not to to do it early. It's whatever you are ready and comfortable with.

As you and Michael (Merry Mousketeer) are driving and staying pre-nights booked on your own, the only special instructions I have for you are that you should be at the Grand Californian on the day the departure begins. You will need to let the security guard at the front entrance know that you are parking for your Adventure by Disney trip. He will point you in the right direction as to where to park. There will be no charge during the ABD portion of your vacation.

You will need to be in front of the hotel at 1:00pm and ABD transportation will pick you and your luggage up there and take you to the Hollywood Renaissance.

I will make sure that ABD knows that they will need to schedule a Grand pick up. There might be others joining you on your ride.

These instructions are for Michael (Merry Mouseketeer) and Carol only.

***To anyone else going on the trip that is reading this information, if you are arriving by airplane or arriving for pre-nights, your instructions will be much different. Please do not assume these instructions are for everyone. Eventually, each and every person traveling will need to make sure that I have your travel and arrival plans. Thanks.***

skunkvette
08-26-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks for that info, Kevin - it sounds like there may be a few different scenarios that might work for Cathy and I.

We are still deciding on whether we will fly in to San Diego early to tour about and then drive up to LAX to drop off the rental car and meet the shuttle at the airport or fly straight to LA.

Once we decide and book our flight, we will get our itinerary to you.

We have already booked two added nights at Grand California on our own, so I guess we will be getting a town car or shuttle back to the airport.

stitchlover
08-27-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm dragging my feet on buying my airfare. I keep hoping it will go down and actually it has done nothing but go up (twice) in the last two weeks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on airfare trends? We are still 6 months out, any chance of it going down in that time period or are the trends for it to just continue to increase as you get closer to your departure date?

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. TIA!:goodvibes

mikelan6
08-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Purchasing airfare is tricky as prices tend to fluctuate a lot.

I use yapta.com and flightaware.com to track airfare and see what the average price is for flights.

In the end, though, you're just going to have to settle on a price you are comfortable with and buy it, hoping that you made a good decision. If the airfare does drop after you've purchased, some airlines will give you a credit (less their change fees, of course).

princessbride6205
08-27-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm dragging my feet on buying my airfare. I keep hoping it will go down and actually it has done nothing but go up (twice) in the last two weeks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on airfare trends? We are still 6 months out, any chance of it going down in that time period or are the trends for it to just continue to increase as you get closer to your departure date?

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. TIA!:goodvibes
I use kayak to compare all airlines (but it doesn't show Southwest) and to see my options. You can also try farecast - which is similar to Mike's suggested sites. I almost never buy a ticket 5 months out. This far out, I would check how many seats are left on your desired flights. That will help give you an idea of whether the price is going up because the airline feels like it, or if they really are selling out of that price level. Overall trends, airfares over the past year have been trending up, at least everywhere I fly (LAX, New York, Orlando). Farecast seems to think the best time to buy is on Tuesday afternoons due to when airlines release sales and try to match each other's prices. I have not really seen that theory in personal experience.
Another note, if you are trying to book on airline miles, the sooner the better!

bkoehl
08-27-2010, 08:02 PM
A month ago when this trip was first announced I found roundtrip airfare for $300 DIRECT Cincinnati to LAX. By the time I finally convinced my husband to go last week it has gone up to $380 which includes a stop and flying overnight on the way back. If I want the same direct both ways at reasonable times it is almost $600 now! I've look at the flights though, pretty empty still so am going to wait it out. Plus, got my AmEx companion ticket in the mail yesterday which I was going to use for this trip, however, it just looked like a credit card offer so I stuck it in the shredder- not noticing the words "Your Companion Ticket is Inside" until it was half way through! :eek: Now have to wait for them to send me another....

stitchlover
08-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Sorry if this sounds stupid...how can I tell how full the plane is? TIA!

bkoehl
08-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Sorry if this sounds stupid...how can I tell how full the plane is? TIA!

On Delta when they show you the flights one of the last columns has a "view seats" link that shows a drawing of the plane and marks which seats are available/taken. Not sure how other airlines do it.

stitchlover
08-27-2010, 11:59 PM
On Delta when they show you the flights one of the last columns has a "view seats" link that shows a drawing of the plane and marks which seats are available/taken. Not sure how other airlines do it.

Hmmm...didn't find that on the American site. I will check again in the morning. Thanks!

mikelan6
08-28-2010, 02:42 AM

This only shows how many people have reserved their seats, not how many are truly booked on the flight. While the seat map gives a good idea of how many people are booked on the flight, only airline employees with access to the "flight loads" really know how many seats are left.

bannermouse
08-29-2010, 04:55 AM
We, for the last 3-4 years have always used Southwest. It is generally always the lowest fare out of New Orleans. Their prices do go up as it gets closer and closer to the departure date. They do sometimes have specials where they lower their rates. If you have already made your reservation with them at a higher price, you will receive a credit you can use in the next year.

Bannermouse

stitchlover
08-29-2010, 07:51 AM
We, for the last 3-4 years have always used Southwest. It is generally always the lowest fare out of New Orleans. Their prices do go up as it gets closer and closer to the departure date. They do sometimes have specials where they lower their rates. If you have already made your reservation with them at a higher price, you will receive a credit you can use in the next year.

Bannermouse
In Dallas we have this lovely little thing called the Wright Amendment. This means that Southwest can only fly direct flights within Texas and to Louisiana, Oklahoma and New Mexico out of Dallas Love Field. To go further you must fly to one of those locations and then make a connection to your next location. Which boils down to: Southwest is always more expensive for us. It sucks for us.

mikelan6
08-30-2010, 02:35 PM
I finally received my travel agreement documrents today. Do I have to mail them, or can I fax them to ABD on the number listed on the forms?

DisneyKevin
08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
I finally received my travel agreement documrents today. Do I have to mail them, or can I fax them to ABD on the number listed on the forms?

You can do either.:thumbsup2

Both are perfectly acceptable.

mikelan6
08-31-2010, 08:05 AM
I found it odd that one of the forms wanted to know my height and weight.

stitchlover
08-31-2010, 10:10 AM

I thought that was interesting too.

WebmasterJohn
08-31-2010, 10:14 AM

It has to do with the adventures that include a zip-lining component to the tour.

Unless you want to play Tinkerbell before the fireworks there will be no zip-lining during this tour - I promise.

stitchlover
08-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Unless you want to play Tinkerbell before the fireworks there will be no zip-lining during this tour - I promise.

LOL! I almost responded in my post that maybe one of the extra bits of magic they throw in is you get to be a character in the parade and they needed to know which costume you would fit in! Okay...so I have an odd sense of humor.

DisneyKevin
08-31-2010, 10:27 AM

I told them I was 5'10", 165lbs and incredibly tan.

Just leave it blank. John's right. No zip lining.

bannermouse
08-31-2010, 01:50 PM
:It has to do with the adventures that include a zip-lining component to the tour.

We were hoping that they did have a zip-line from the top of the Grand Californian to the California Aventures Park entrance. Rose was incredibly disappointed and sad :sad1: and mad :mad: and just confused :confused:that there is no zip-line for her to take over to the park.:rolleyes1 She is quite the daredevil.

When you meet her, please do not mention me mentioning how upset she was with no zip-line or she might become :furious: with me even though she adores me.

Bannermouse

bkoehl
08-31-2010, 08:05 PM
We just got our documents today! My husband is having second thoughts about signing them though after reading the contract. He says it sounds WAY too dangerous. Good thing I haven't told him about zip-lining as Tinkerbell! :lmao:

mikelan6
09-01-2010, 08:46 AM
The people on the July trip are all getting matching t-shirts. Should we all wear tutus on our trip? :banana:

jennselke
09-01-2010, 09:01 AM
The people on the July trip are all getting matching t-shirts. Should we all wear tutus on our trip? :banana:

I'm glad I'm on the February Trip. Not sure I'm up for matching t-shirts - and I'm a summer camp direction!

I do have a good vendor if the rest of you want them. I say we need our own cheer.

: )

Jenn

DisneyKevin
09-01-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm glad I'm on the February Trip. Not sure I'm up for matching t-shirts - and I'm a summer camp direction!

I do have a good vendor if the rest of you want them. I say we need our own cheer.

: )

Jenn

We can make lanyards on the bus!:rotfl:

Or friendship bracelets.:thumbsup2

jennselke
09-01-2010, 09:36 AM
We can make lanyards on the bus!:rotfl:

Or friendship bracelets.:thumbsup2

OMG - I'll bring the rex lace (lanyards) - we should also brush up on our stitches.
http://www.rexlaceclub.com/Departments/Learn-How.aspx

Great idea Kevin! I bet you would be good at the songs too! All that Kindergarten teaching pays off every day!

mikelan6
09-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I never went to a summer camp, so this is gonna be fun!

bannermouse
09-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Eons ago, I went to a Catholic summer camp. Something tells me this trip could be a bit different than my experience back then. :wave2:

Bannermouse

princessbride6205
09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Can't wait for our bus ride sing-a-longs! :laughing:

I like the idea of having some kind of item for everyone in the group, but not so much on wearing the t-shirts together. ;)

skunkvette
09-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Sorry, we are not into matching outfits either, I consider it a good day when my socks match.

DisneyKevin
09-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Sorry, we are not into matching outfits either, I consider it a good day when my socks match.

SOCKS!!!!!:scared1:

mikelan6
09-01-2010, 12:49 PM
I like the idea of having some kind of item for everyone in the group, but not so much on wearing the t-shirts together. ;)

Well, there's always the DIS thong! :scared1:

Puffpatty
09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Back from WDW for a week now and I just submitted my vacation request. Hoping to join you all on this trip and on PC2.0. Hoping the bosses here don't screw me over and deny my request....interoffice drama prevented us from booking this trip in July 2010 but I am so hoping to make this...

I need a little pixie dust on this one!

Oh my gosh oh my gosh I got it!!!! :banana: I was informed yesterday that I got my dates approved!!! I originally requested two weeks (as we wanted to explore Cali on our own for a few days) and I was told to shave my vacation down by two days but we're in for the tour! We can fly in on Saturday and leave by March 1st! :woohoo: Put my name and my hubby Alex's name on that list! woohooooo!!!! :dance3:

Thanks for all the pixie dust!

I also got approved for dates in December so podcast cruise 2.0 here we come!!! :woohoo:

skunkvette
09-01-2010, 01:38 PM

Yes, socks.

In certain areas, you need to wear socks with your snow boots, you must still remember those days....

bannermouse
09-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Oh my gosh oh my gosh I got it!!!! :banana: I was informed yesterday that I got my dates approved!!! I originally requested two weeks (as we wanted to explore Cali on our own for a few days) and I was told to shave my vacation down by two days but we're in for the tour! We can fly in on Saturday and leave by March 1st! :woohoo: Put my name and my hubby Alex's name on that list! woohooooo!!!! :dance3:

Thanks for all the pixie dust!

I also got approved for dates in December so podcast cruise 2.0 here we come!!! :woohoo:

Welcome aboard. We look forward to meeting the two of you!!:thumbsup2

Bannermouse

skunkvette
09-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Need an opinion -

We are debating flying in to either LAX or SAN (San Diego) a few days before the adventure starts, anyone driven the route between the two cities? Is it worth the effort?

It is actually cheaper for us to fly into LAX and rent a car, drive down and back to San Diego and return the car to LAX. We would spend at least one night in San Diego.

If the drive is not that exciting, then we would fly into San Diego and skip the ride down, pay a little more for the car but have more free time.

Any hotel recommendations to San Diego?

Thanks!

bannermouse
09-01-2010, 01:44 PM

I don't remember anything in the ABD literature that said anything about wearing socks or shoes. I thought this was a barefoot tour?!?!?!?:confused3

Bannermouse

DisneyKevin
09-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes, socks.

In certain areas, you need to wear socks with your snow boots, you must still remember those days....

I have repressed such things.;)

corky441
09-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Need an opinion -

We are debating flying in to either LAX or SAN (San Diego) a few days before the adventure starts, anyone driven the route between the two cities? Is it worth the effort?

It is actually cheaper for us to fly into LAX and rent a car, drive down and back to San Diego and return the car to LAX. We would spend at least one night in San Diego.

If the drive is not that exciting, then we would fly into San Diego and skip the ride down, pay a little more for the car but have more free time.

Any hotel recommendations to San Diego?

Thanks!

We drove down to San Diego from Long Beach before the ABD trip last April.

The drive is uninspiring and rather boring to tell the truth. It's just one long freeway and for the most part you don't see any sights along the way.

We only went down for the day, so I don't have any hotel ideas for you.

If you're planning on doing the San Diego Zoo, give yourself amble time - the place is huge and wonderful. There is also a whole park/museum area adjacent to the zoo grounds. We ran out of time, but I hear it's a wonderful spot to meander about in.

Wish Dino & I were going with you guys.... we miss you both :grouphug: but right now I'm reading vacation guides for ITALY. I have a feeling the London/Paris trip might be out of our price range, so I'm formulating a backup plan

skunkvette
09-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Wish Dino & I were going with you guys.... we miss you both :grouphug: but right now I'm reading vacation guides for ITALY. I have a feeling the London/Paris trip might be out of our price range, so I'm formulating a backup plan

Thanks for the help - Marilee, we had so much fun in April with you guys, we will miss you this time around.

We will see you and Dino in October at Food and Wine- right?

Frank

Disney Enabler
09-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Michael and I met when we were summer camp counselors many many moons ago but we still remember those camp songs and how to make lanyards.

Not sure how Pete is going to do with singing on the bus???

Welcome Patty and Alex. So glad you will be joining us. Is there something specific you want to see in San Diego? The Zoo is great and so is Sea World. There is another animal park, Wild Animal Park, in San Diego that Michael and I really enjoy.

skunkvette
09-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Is there something specific you want to see in San Diego? The Zoo is great and so is Sea World. There is another animal park, Wild Animal Park, in San Diego that Michael and I really enjoy.

Nothing specific in San Diego just looking for general sight seeing opinions or reviews beside the usual Internet stuff, neither Cathy (DW) or I have been there before and hear it is a beautiful city.

Last April before DIS ABD 1.0, we went to San Francisco (Disney Family Museum - WOW!) and Napa Valley, this time we were thinking about trying San Diego.

We live outside of Philadelphia, so any trip west we try and see as much as we can.

Frank

corky441
09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the help - Marilee, we had so much fun in April with you guys, we will miss you this time around.

We will see you and Dino in October at Food and Wine- right?

Frank

Oh yes! Can't wait to hook up with you then. We leave 5 weeks from this Friday and then we'll be coming up to WDW the following Friday

stitchlover
09-02-2010, 10:20 AM
PuffPatty - Patty
Alex - Mr. PuffPatty

Keep in mind that I have had about 2 hours of sleep. But Mr. PuffPatty got a good laugh out of me this morning! :lmao:

princessbride6205
09-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Welcome, Patty & Alex!

Puffpatty
09-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Keep in mind that I have had about 2 hours of sleep. But Mr. PuffPatty got a good laugh out of me this morning! :lmao:

Trust me it made me laugh out loud here at work...I'm lucky I didn't snort:rotfl:

I've invited him to join me on the boards but he's yet to come on board...I told him he's going to stay Mr. Puffpatty until he does...lol. As much of a computer geek he is, the tickers and signatures confuse him...lol.

Welcome Patty and Alex. So glad you will be joining us.
Welcome, Patty & Alex!

Thanks guys! We look forward to meeting everyone!

DisneyKevin
09-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I told him he's going to stay Mr. Puffpatty until he does...lol.

I can make him PuffAlex.

I have my magic wand.:wizard:

Puffpatty
09-02-2010, 01:51 PM
I can make him PuffAlex.

I have my magic wand.:wizard:

LOL! :lmao: Just got off the phone with him....I think this might peer pressure him into creating an account :laughing:

Let's keep it as is...He's at home now doing a little jersey shore Earl prep.

I was able to secure a DVC studio res for VGC from the 25th-2nd...we are thinking day trips...

Can ABD bring us to the airport on our last day (25th) if we don't have a confirmed flight? We'd like to pick up a rental car. Also wondering if it would work that way for pick up...as long as we are at the airport sunday they wouldn't say no if we didn't fly in that day, right?

DisneyKevin
09-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Can ABD bring us to the airport on our last day (25th) if we don't have a confirmed flight? We'd like to pick up a rental car. Also wondering if it would work that way for pick up...as long as we are at the airport sunday they wouldn't say no if we didn't fly in that day, right?

This can be easily arranged. As a matter of fact, John and I did this in April.

We arrived early and rented a car at the airport. We kept the car until the day the Adventure began, returned the car to the airport and took ABD transport back to the hotel.

Let me know when you have details worked out and I'll arrange things through ABD.

Puffpatty
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
This can be easily arranged. As a matter of fact, John and I did this in April.

We arrived early and rented a car at the airport. We kept the car until the day the Adventure began, returned the car to the airport and took ABD transport back to the hotel.

Let me know when you have details worked out and I'll arrange things through ABD.

Great! Thanks!

stitchlover
09-02-2010, 05:37 PM
LOL! :lmao: Just got off the phone with him....I think this might peer pressure him into creating an account :laughing:

I think he definitely needs to have Puff in the name somewhere now. How else will we know it's him?!? I like PuffAlex. But I am partial to Mr. Puffpatty at this point.

Can't wait to meet you both! :thumbsup2

jj73wdw
09-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Hey y'all... I received my confirmation from Kevin yesterday that I'm on this ABD Tour. Hearing them rant and rave on the podcast has truly sold me on this experience. Reading everyone's posts so far has amped me up even more, I can't wait.

As most have already said, Thanks Kevin for being so patient with all the questions and inquiries. You made it very easy. Oh, and add me to that list.

-John Ursoleo (J.J.)

mikelan6
09-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Hey y'all... I received my confirmation from Kevin yesterday that I'm on this ABD Tour. Hearing them rant and rave on the podcast has truly sold me on this experience. Reading everyone's posts so far has amped me up even more, I can't wait.

As most have already said, Thanks Kevin for being so patient with all the questions and inquiries. You made it very easy. Oh, and add me to that list.

-John Ursoleo (J.J.)

Hi Neighbor! Welcome to the group. (I'm in Aventura)

DisneyKevin
09-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Oh, and add me to that list.

My pleasure!

jj73wdw
09-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Hi Neighbor! Welcome to the group. (I'm in Aventura)

Neighbor indeed. Hello. I'm downtown Ft. Laud, so very close. I'm in Aventura at least once a week for work. Maybe our paths will cross before the ABD trip.

I hope everyone has a great Holiday weekend.

-J.J.

Merry Mousketeer
09-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Welcome J.J.! This is going to be a fun group! We're glad you're a part of it.

Michael - I guess since there are so many Michael's on the trip I'm being referred to as Mouseketeer Michael. That's fine with me! :earsboy:

mikelan6
09-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Neighbor indeed. Hello. I'm downtown Ft. Laud, so very close. I'm in Aventura at least once a week for work. Maybe our paths will cross before the ABD trip.

That's funny. I go up to Ft Lauderdale or Wilton Manors once every week or so. Just let me know if you want to meet for coffee or something.

Michael - I guess since there are so many Michael's on the trip I'm being referred to as Mouseketeer Michael. That's fine with me! :earsboy:

You can call me Miami Michael, or Mike or Mikey

planaholic
09-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi all,

I *attempted* to send a PM to all of the Feb 2011 ABDers included on Kevin's list on the first page.

There were a few technical difficulties, so I'm afraid I might have left some folks out. (BTW - Why does PM allow me to view sent messages but my sent message folder is always empty?)

Anyways, if you were left out, please PM me.

Thanks!
Lindsay "super vague & DISboard challenged" DuBose

PS - J.J., I know I missed you.

princessbride6205
09-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Mike - Just started listening to this week's podcast - congrats on your prize-ma-tron prize. ;)

J.J. - Welcome!

Mouseketeer Michael - I'm sure that's how I'll keep thinking of you. :goodvibes

DisneyKevin
09-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Morning folks!

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend.

Circusgirl
09-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Morning folks!

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend.

The very best part of my weekend is going to be getting ready for my trip to Orlando! :woohoo::woohoo:

DisneyKevin
09-04-2010, 11:36 AM
The very best part of my weekend is going to be getting ready for my trip to Orlando! :woohoo::woohoo:

Cant wait to see you again!:banana:

skunkvette
09-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Heather, have a great trip!

Anyone else planning a trip to WDW before our ABD, besides the Podcast cruise?

Cathy and I will be at Food and Wine 10/13 to 10/18 - if you are there we would love to say hi!

Frank

planaholic
09-04-2010, 02:54 PM

I will be down at WDW just for one night 10/22-23. I've never been to MNSSHP or stayed in one of the resorts before :scared1:, so we are doing the party, staying AKL savannah view, then doing food & wine.

Incidently, I will me making my first trip to DLR in december on a trip I've been planning for years...so thankfully when that's over, I won't have too wait too long to go back :cool1:

Mind you, both of those trips are with folks significantly less disney-inclined than I am, so I am really looking forward to travelling with all of you!!:banana:

- Lindsay

mikelan6
09-04-2010, 04:28 PM

I'll be at DLR Oct 1 - 3
The Disney Family Museum on Oct 4
WDW Nov 6-7 for the next Olszewski release.

bamagoofy
09-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I'll be at WDW the last weekend of food and wine. Not attending as many
events this year as I have in the past.

Chandra

stitchlover
09-04-2010, 11:39 PM
We won't be at WDW before the ABD trip. My husband's job does not allow him to travel from July through January. I would feel bad taking our daughter without him. But we will be at WDW less than 2 weeks after I return from ABD.

Tonight was the EC Conference online draft for the Dis Unplugged Fantasy Football league. I think we all made it through with only a few tears. I think they are going to expand the league to three conferences next season. If anyone is interested in playing Fantasy Football at all you should check it out. We all have a good time.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday weekend. The weather here in North Central Texas is beautiful. We had some heavy rains come through Wednesday night and Thursday morning. It seems to have cleared out the humidity and brought a break to the 100 degree temps. We haven't hit 90 degrees since Wednesday. Cool enough today to open the house. I'm sure we will see 100 degrees a few more time before Fall but at least the weekend is lovely.

bkoehl
09-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Running the Half Marathon in January if anyone wants to join me.... :)

skunkvette
09-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't know if anyone mentioned the fact yet that our Backstage Adventure starts one week to the day before the Oscar Awards are to be broadcasted.

Should make the Hollywood part of our trip a little more interesting....

stitchlover
09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I mentioned that to my husband the other day. Since our hotel is right next to the theater they hold the awards at I was wondering if we might get to see any of the big golden statutes they put up outside. Should be interesting. I love the Oscars!

stitchlover
09-05-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm sure this was covered in a podcast before the trips earlier this year and I'm just not remembering. Could someone remind which show, if there was one, that talked about the ABD trips and how arrival at the airport would be handled? I remember they did a show like this for the Cruise.

My question is when we arrive do we get our own bags? Does ABD grab them? If ABD grabs them, does a tag come in the mail to put on your bag? Where will the driver meet us? Do we tip the driver?

I think that is all the questions I have.

DisneyKevin
09-05-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm sure this was covered in a podcast before the trips earlier this year and I'm just not remembering. Could someone remind which show, if there was one, that talked about the ABD trips and how arrival at the airport would be handled? I remember they did a show like this for the Cruise.

My question is when we arrive do we get our own bags? Does ABD grab them? If ABD grabs them, does a tag come in the mail to put on your bag? Where will the driver meet us? Do we tip the driver?

I think that is all the questions I have.

Hi Suzette,

I'm hesitant to answer questions like this on the boards, because everyone's arrival could be a different scenario and I dont want anyone to get incorrect information.

Typically, on arrival, you retrieve your own bags and meet the person holding the ABD sign.

You do not need to tip the driver. All tips are included except the Adventure Guides.

Please keep in mind that depending on your particular arrival plans, these details can be very different.

If you have specific questions regarding your Adventure, please write to me at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com.

I'm more than happy to answer questions as they pertain to your specific situation.

stitchlover
09-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi Suzette,

I'm hesitant to answer questions like this on the boards, because everyone's arrival could be a different scenario and I dont want anyone to get incorrect information.

Sorry! Was trying to spare you another email full of questions. For some reason I thought there was a podcast that addressed arrival day. Forgot about everyones situation being so different. But you did answer all my questions, thanks!

Circusgirl
09-06-2010, 10:24 PM

Cathy and I will be at Food and Wine 10/13 to 10/18 - if you are there we would love to say hi!

Frank

Thanks, Frank! I am now officially beyond excited to get on my way! We've got some fantastic meets planned, and cold grey weather descended on Seattle this weekend so I can't wait to get to some authentic summer weather.

Have fun anticipating your time of delicious touring in October!

princessbride6205
09-07-2010, 10:54 AM
We will be in WDW Oct 9-13 and January 7-14.
We may go in a few days earlier in January for the half marathon, but not sure yet. Hopefully finalizing next week.

jj73wdw
09-07-2010, 02:36 PM

Frank

It looks like I will be in Orlando that same weekend, not 100% but pretty sure. Oct. 15th is my BDay and I want to visit Food and Wine, and maybe Mexico's Cava del tequila... :cool1:

skunkvette
09-07-2010, 07:18 PM
It looks like I will be in Orlando that same weekend, not 100% but pretty sure. Oct. 15th is my BDay and I want to visit Food and Wine, and maybe Mexico's Cava del tequila... :cool1:

Let us know if you end up going, we would like to say Hi!

Frank (and Cathy)

stitchlover
09-08-2010, 09:17 PM
It's the middle of a short week...how is everyone's week going?

bkoehl
09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Long! Lol

stitchlover
09-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Okay repeat after me the key word in that sentence was SHORT. LOL! I think you're doing it wrong if LONG is your answer. ;)

mikelan6
09-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I just got back from dinner. We celebrated the Jewish new year with brisket, matzoh ball soup and of course, apples dipped in honey.

stitchlover
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I just got back from dinner. We celebrated the Jewish new year with brisket, matzoh ball soup and of course, apples dipped in honey.

OMG! I forgot...Happy New Year Mike. Hope dinner was wonderful.

bkoehl
09-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Okay repeat after me the key word in that sentence was SHORT. LOL! I think you're doing it wrong if LONG is your answer. ;)

But had to work on Monday...definitely doing it wrong! LOL

stitchlover
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
But had to work on Monday...definitely doing it wrong! LOL

Ahhhh...then you are allowed to say it is long. :lmao:

We have been beaten up by the aftermath of Tropical Storm Hermine the past two days. Although the rain is nice but gosh, does it have to be soooo severe?

princessbride6205
09-08-2010, 11:18 PM
I too am feeling like this is a long week. Maybe because I'm playing single parent while DH is on a 6-day business trip and he worked most of the holiday weekend, and his one day off (Sunday) someone rear-ended our car. :headache: Don't fret, we are all okay. Minor neck soreness for me, no injuries to DH or DD. My poor brand new car has minor dents and scrapes to the bumper and smells like cheap cappuccino (I was taking a sip when we were hit, thus squeezing the cup, lid popped off, hot beverage everywhere). In light of the above, my week really isn't going too badly. Just anxious for Saturday afternoon, when I'll have another adult back in the house! :rolleyes:

Let's see, what's going on with everyone else..?
bkoehl - I hear you. This work week is only 4 days for me, but last week was Monday thru Saturday - something was short, and I think it was the weekend! :lmao:
Happy New Year, Mike!
Stay dry, Stitchlover!

bkoehl
09-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Ok I'd like to change my answer...compared to you guys my week is GREAT! :lmao: Hope the rest of the week gets drier and less hectic!

stitchlover
09-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I too am feeling like this is a long week. Maybe because I'm playing single parent while DH is on a 6-day business trip and he worked most of the holiday weekend, and his one day off (Sunday) someone rear-ended our car.

I can totally relate to you. Since our daughter was 1 my husband's work schedule has been horrendous from September to February every year. We are talking leaving the house at 8am coming home at 1-2am the next morning and repeating the schedule. Sometimes for weeks on end, 7 days a week with no break. Then he will go a few weeks that he is home by midnight but no days off. Then back to 1:00-2:00 in the morning. I have always told people I'm a single parent 6 months out of the year. He is in that time of the year right now but it is much easier now that our daughter is almost 15 years old. He actually got home at 10pm last night and I was so excited to see him!

Hope your hubby comes home and gives you a little break soon! I'll keep you in my thoughts!

princessbride6205
09-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Hope your hubby comes home and gives you a little break soon! I'll keep you in my thoughts!
Thanks! :hug: He called yesterday to say he might get sent out of town next week and be in Spain the two weeks preceding Christmas. :scared1: I think next week's trip is off at least, which is good because my sanity is mostly gone.
TGIF!