PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Favorite Lesser Known Disney Movie

lacrosse_lady72
07-26-2010, 03:31 PM
What is you favorite lesser known Disney movie, either animated or not?

I think mine is Tuck Everlasting. I feel like it's just such a nice movie to watch.

Anyone else have a favorite?

WeatherbySwann
07-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Probably The Even Stevens Movie. Strangely enough, we never really watched the TV show but we absolutely love the movie. :laughing:

And the original Parent Trap - it's an all-around great family movie and one of the best of the live-action classics IMO. The camping scene is hysterical!

j&j620
07-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Newsies!

I'm pretty sure that all of the people I know who know about this movie only know about it because I told them about it and/or made them watch it and/or listen to the soundtrack.

Queenofspoons
07-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Both me and my dad love the lesser known sci-fi film "Flight of the Navigator" , one day at the studios we saw the ship from the film and started talking about it and the film.

SouthernExplorer
07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Flight of the Navigator is also one of my favs.

Rose DiVerona
07-29-2010, 08:27 PM
The Three Lives of Thomasina. When I was a year old, I got a stuffed cat that at some point was named after the cat in the movie, Thomasina. I still have her--she was my absolute favorite plaything as a child.

Fantasmic23
07-29-2010, 08:35 PM
The World's Greatest Athlete with Jan Michael Vincent, Tim Conway and John Amos. The Disney Channel showed this movie often in the mid-1980's and I loved it! I just added it to my queue on Netflix.

southernbelle20
07-30-2010, 10:43 AM
The World's Greatest Athlete with Jan Michael Vincent, Tim Conway and John Amos. The Disney Channel showed this movie often in the mid-1980's and I loved it! I just added it to my queue on Netflix.

Love this one too!!! Ordered it from Amazon about 6 months ago, and the kids love it. I remember seeing this on television as a child.

::Snow_White::
07-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Newsies!

I'm pretty sure that all of the people I know who know about this movie only know about it because I told them about it and/or made them watch it and/or listen to the soundtrack.

That's my favorite too. I watched it in journalism class and a week later I bought the DVD and Soundtrack! :goodvibes

tweedlemom
07-31-2010, 06:31 PM
I really liked "Something Wicked This Way Comes" when I was younger.

kim3339
07-31-2010, 08:20 PM
When I was little I liked the tv movies Mr Boogedy and Bride of Boogedy. I've looked everywhere, but I can never find them on VHS. I also like the Tower of Terror movie. It's cheesy, but I always have to watch it before I go to the park. popcorn::

KY*Figment
07-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Oliver & Company was so good!

Fantasmic23
07-31-2010, 09:59 PM

That would have to be my second favorite lesser known Disney movie! I rent it every year around Halloween.

ripburn
07-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Newsies

Experiment_626
08-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Not sure how well it qualifies under the category of "lesser-known," but I'm something of an evangelist for The Emperor's New Groove. I don't think the company knew how to market the movie, but it might be the funniest Disney animated feature ever made. I've never shown it to anyone who didn't love it afterward, nor have any of them ever failed to scratch their heads and wonder how it slipped past them in theaters and why it wasn't a bigger hit.

JoShan1719
08-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Another Newsies fan here. It was on HBO today, I was so excited!

wicked.witch.of.wdw
08-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Not sure how well it qualifies under the category of "lesser-known," but I'm something of an evangelist for The Emperor's New Groove. I don't think the company knew how to market the movie, but it might be the funniest Disney animated feature ever made. I've never shown it to anyone who didn't love it afterward, nor have any of them ever failed to scratch their heads and wonder how it slipped past them in theaters and why it wasn't a bigger hit.

Amen to that! I love that movie, but it gets no respect from the company or the critics. Sad, really....

I'm a huge fan of Hocus Pocus-- it's shown all the time on Disney Channel and ABC Family around Halloween, but very few people I talk to have seen it. It's so funny, though!

kelseighrox925
08-02-2010, 01:12 AM
My favorite lesser known Disney films are:

A Goofy Movie (the music is so catchy)
Newsies
The Parent Trap (the newer one)
Oliver and Company (great songs)
Stuck In The Suburbs

JoShan1719
08-02-2010, 01:37 AM
My favorite lesser known Disney films are:

A Goofy Movie (the music is so catchy)
Newsies
The Parent Trap (the newer one)
Oliver and Company (great songs)
Stuck In The Suburbs

I've got "Stand Out" on my driving playlist! It gets me so pumped for work!

TheGoofster
08-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I have a few that come to mind:

Newsies - like others have said. Some simply incredible music and good acting.
Condorman - Not everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed it
Never a dull moment - with Dick Vandyke. Very funny gangster movie
Tall Tale - with Patrick Swayze. This movie was so cheesy, I actually really enjoyed it
In search of the Castaways - with Haley Mills. Great old movie. Lots of fun
That Darn Cat (the new version) - Doug E. Doug is really funny. Great family movie.
Cool Runnings - Who doesn't enjoy a movie about a Jamaican bob sled team?

These are the first ones to pop to mind. I'm sure there are many others as well.

kim3339
08-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm a huge fan of Hocus Pocus-- it's shown all the time on Disney Channel and ABC Family around Halloween, but very few people I talk to have seen it. It's so funny, though!

Ditto to that movie. :love: I love that movie. I watch it every time it is on and during October - all the time!!

kelseighrox925
08-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I've got "Stand Out" on my driving playlist! It gets me so pumped for work!

I love "Stand Out", but since you have to buy the whole movie soundtrack to get that and "i2i" on iTunes, I had to settle for the Mitchel Musso cover from Disneymania 7, which definitely does Tevin Campbell justice.

As for "Newsies"...it has some of the best musical potential I've ever seen. and "Oliver and Company" has some of the catchiest music there is...thank goodness they cast Billy Joel. I can't stop listening to "Why Should I Worry".

Janice J
08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Pete's Dragon and The Country Bears

TomAndLori
08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Less popular I love Meet the Robinson's.

Less known would be Johnny Tremain. I remember watching on the Wonderful of Disney when I was a kid. I loved it so much I got the book out of the library to read.

ZiPaD3doDAH
08-09-2010, 09:14 PM
in this order:

- Newsies (waiting for a blu-ray release; please please pleaseeee)
- Meet the Robinson's

JaneBanks
08-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Newsies
Mr. Boogedy movies
and
Polyanna

JoShan1719
08-10-2010, 01:01 AM
I love "Stand Out", but since you have to buy the whole movie soundtrack to get that and "i2i" on iTunes, I had to settle for the Mitchel Musso cover from Disneymania 7, which definitely does Tevin Campbell justice.

As for "Newsies"...it has some of the best musical potential I've ever seen. and "Oliver and Company" has some of the catchiest music there is...thank goodness they cast Billy Joel. I can't stop listening to "Why Should I Worry".

I have a droid phone which comes with several music markets so I have the original version of stand out. I'll have to find Musso's version, it sounds interesting.

Since adding the Newsies music last week I've been listening to it almost non stop. I love it!

Melnalala
08-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Love Tomasina - is it Disney?

Melnalala
08-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Can anyoine find Song of the South on DVD?

RooRach0906
08-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Another Newsies fan here. My sister and I would watch that movie all the time.
I also love The Great Mouse Detective:lovestruc
Sing along songs
Polyanna
Hercules
Tales from Avonlea
Robin Hood
and Meet the Robinson's

futureillusioneer
08-12-2010, 09:37 AM
My favorite would have to be Cool Runnings. Kiss the egg!

onnawufei
08-13-2010, 07:46 AM
The Three Lives of Thomasina. When I was a year old, I got a stuffed cat that at some point was named after the cat in the movie, Thomasina. I still have her--she was my absolute favorite plaything as a child.When I was in elementary school I had a friend who was named after that movie. (She was named Thomasina... which was probably pretty obvious.)

I love Hocus Pocus, and it totally tripped me out to realize the kid who played Thackery is on NCIS now. Plus bonus awesome points for having Doug Jones, who I love. I fangirl like crazy over the Winnifred statue at Planet Hollywood in Downtown Disney.

~CherryCakes~
08-14-2010, 07:02 AM
Oliver and Company and Robin Hood, everyone seems to forget that thease are disney movies.

rogerlover
08-14-2010, 06:56 PM
The Kim Possible Movie:So The Drama

Hocus Pocus

malinhardly
08-16-2010, 08:36 AM
This movie is a generic term that may be derived from an ancient language and is presently used by magicians, It is is an addictive, action-packed and it also entertaining game that's comparable, or better than, anything found on the home cartridge systems.

charvel67
08-18-2010, 09:22 AM
We just watched "The Cat From Outer Space." We all liked it very much. The kids, 6, 12, and 18 are all used to Disney movies only being animation but they loved this kind of movie. It also brings me back to childhood Disney memories.

melissa0208
08-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Newsies!

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

figment_jii
08-23-2010, 02:56 PM
I've always like "The Richest Cat in the World" - I named my pet cat after that character (Leo) a long time ago.

I also liked Mr. Boogedy and Hocus Pocus (for Halloween).

Main Street Matilda
08-24-2010, 09:36 PM

I'm with you 626! We named our dog "Pacha" from this movie. I also love "Meet the Robinson's". I really not sure why these movies were not more popular. They were each witty and smart and worked at both the adult and kid level.

I Am What I Am
08-24-2010, 10:49 PM
A lot of my favourites tend to be less popular/less well known.

Hercules
Hunchback of Notre Dame. (Both great films. Hunchback in particular has some beautiful music and animation.)

Recess: School's Out!
The Great Mouse Detective
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Oliver and Company

The Little Mermaid 2: Return to The Sea (Pretty good for a DTV sequel)

DisneyDancer1986
08-25-2010, 12:50 AM
The Cat From Outer Space, I remember being up late one night watching the Disney Channel, and this movie came on. At that time I didn't much care for older films.... Until I watched this movie. :D

disneyfav4ever
08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Eight Below.

superme80
08-28-2010, 01:40 AM
When I was in elementary school I had a friend who was named after that movie. (She was named Thomasina... which was probably pretty obvious.)

I love Hocus Pocus, and it totally tripped me out to realize the kid who played Thackery is on NCIS now.
I was shocked too! I had such a crush on him in that movie...oh wait he's one of the reasons I watch NCIS!!!!!:love:

I've always like "The Richest Cat in the World" - I named my pet cat after that character (Leo) a long time ago.

I Love this movie!!!

Another Newsies fan here!!! Die hard Pollyanna fan as well.

polkadotsuitcase
08-28-2010, 05:33 AM
I like the original "Incredible Journey" -- the one before the talking animals remake. (Although at least the talking animal version doesn't actually have their mouths moving...that drives me crazy!) :goodvibes

MushuGirl06
08-30-2010, 10:13 AM
great mouse detective was my favorite movie growing up and still is one of the best disney movies

where's_my_prince
08-30-2010, 06:28 PM
great mouse detective was my favorite movie growing up and still is one of the best disney movies

couldnt agree more. its so amazing! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

AdamsPrincess
08-31-2010, 02:32 PM

Love this movie, I bought it on DVD for my husband for our anniversary a few years ago, it took a lot of searching.

cloud_dancing
09-02-2010, 08:04 AM
I think the Song of the South would be mine =) I remember watching it as a kid and crying at the end everytime! I think some of the songs from the film were absolutely genius as well!

I was always a fan of HalloweenTown as well though =)

Keebles
09-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I love Hocus Pocus too and quote it often (amuck amuck amuck!).

And, although I don't consider it a lesser known favorite, Pete's Dragon. I am constantly amazed at the number of people my age or older that have never heard of that movie! How is that possible! I remember them showing it at our school (I think I just dated myself there).

TimeLady
09-05-2010, 05:38 PM
The Cat From Outer Space, I remember being up late one night watching the Disney Channel, and this movie came on. At that time I didn't much care for older films.... Until I watched this movie. :D

I loved that movie as a kid!
Also One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing, with Peter Ustinov, and Never a Dull Moment, with Dick VanDyke. Good times!

where's_my_prince
09-05-2010, 05:56 PM
I love Hocus Pocus too and quote it often (amuck amuck amuck!).

And, although I don't consider it a lesser known favorite, Pete's Dragon. I am constantly amazed at the number of people my age or older that have never heard of that movie! How is that possible! I remember them showing it at our school (I think I just dated myself there).

hehe watch hocus pocus every halloween ( SISTERS!!!!!..... SICK 'EM ) :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

yes i love petes dragon and i feel the same way i was watching the electrical parade at DL with some friends and they were like "whats the dragon from" im like "thats elliot!" "ellito who" "elliot from petes dragon!" :headache:

Rose DiVerona
09-08-2010, 11:31 PM
I didn't even think of mentioning Hocus Pocus earlier! I guess it would qualify as lesser-known, but I watch it so much around the Halloween season that the idea of other people not doing the same baffles me. :)

Also someone mentioned Halloweentown--another good one, back when Disney Channel movies were decent (as in the 90s...).

And Pete's Dragon is a good one, although it used to terrify me when I was little!

WDWBabe
09-08-2010, 11:34 PM
I used to love "The Strongest Man in the World" (Kurt Russell) but haven't seen it in ages. I'll have to re-watch to see if it's still all that. LOL.

WDWBabe
09-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Ooh. "Blackbeard's Ghost" too. pirate:

mrsxsparrow
09-08-2010, 11:37 PM
The Rescuers Down Under! I watched this movie so much when I was little. I still watch it when I'm sick sometimes. :thumbsup2

Most people I talk to have no idea this movie even exists. Last year it was in a window display on Disneyland's Main Street and I was so excited :woohoo:

*Meagan*
09-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Eight below
The mighty ducks
Newsies
Meet the Robinson's

where's_my_prince
09-10-2010, 02:04 AM
i also absolutley love Treasure Planet. i think its wonderful, maybe its because i use to love reading "treasure island" when i was little, or because JOseph Gordon Levitt is the voice of Jim Hawkins. ormaybe its cuz of the song they have "i'm still here"

so many reasons!

MHT to MCO
09-10-2010, 11:10 AM
They've all been mentioned on this, but I LOVE these movies:
The original Incredible Journey -1963, Flight of the Navigator (the Beach Boys "I Get Around" ALWAYS reminds me of this movie!), and Pete's Dragon.
And every Halloween I watch Hocus Pocus, Mr. Boogedy and Disney's Sleepy Hollow (narrated by Bing :goodvibes)

Keebles
09-10-2010, 09:27 PM
They've all been mentioned on this, but I LOVE these movies:
The original Incredible Journey -1963, Flight of the Navigator (the Beach Boys "I Get Around" ALWAYS reminds me of this movie!), and Pete's Dragon.
And every Halloween I watch Hocus Pocus, Mr. Boogedy and Disney's Sleepy Hollow (narrated by Bing :goodvibes)

Great minds! Practically everyday is Halloween in my world! I have Sleepy Hollow on my Ipod and watch it at work at least several times a week. I have several others like Pecos Bill (which is not Halloweenie, but reminds me of the taco salad I always get during MNSSHP at Pecos Bill Cafe..so there ya go), the old Humphrey cartoons (again, not Halloweenie, but usually stay at WL...need I say more), and the old Donald cartoon Trick or Treat. I keep meaning to put Hocus Pocus on there but haven't gotten around to it. I also have Nightmare Before Christmas, but it's not an oldie (yet).

I got asked just the other day by three separate people if I get sick of watching those cartoons over and over again to which I replied, "nope, not at all!", but by the third time I did add, "but I am getting sick of being asked if I'm getting sick!".

MHT to MCO
09-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Great minds! Practically everyday is Halloween in my world! I have Sleepy Hollow on my Ipod and watch it at work at least several times a week. I have several others like Pecos Bill (which is not Halloweenie, but reminds me of the taco salad I always get during MNSSHP at Pecos Bill Cafe..so there ya go), the old Humphrey cartoons (again, not Halloweenie, but usually stay at WL...need I say more), and the old Donald cartoon Trick or Treat. I keep meaning to put Hocus Pocus on there but haven't gotten around to it. I also have Nightmare Before Christmas, but it's not an oldie (yet).

I got asked just the other day by three separate people if I get sick of watching those cartoons over and over again to which I replied, "nope, not at all!", but by the third time I did add, "but I am getting sick of being asked if I'm getting sick!".

Hahaha, I like to watch Johnny Appleseed in the fall - right around this time actually!;) Puts me in the "fall mood".

JaneBanks
09-13-2010, 12:16 PM

I LOVED Sleepy Hollow and the Donald Trick or Treat cartoon. Can I buy these anywhere?

Also, does anybody know if Mr. Boogity is for sale? I can't find it. :confused3

snchpnz
09-13-2010, 11:02 PM
The Ugly Dachshund! I found this movie when my neighbor was throwing out some old VHS tapes and I went through the bag to see if I found anything I liked. I loved this movie.

christopher77
09-14-2010, 06:35 AM
One of my favorite lesser known movies was Summer Magic. I think I just like those "good ole days" movies, like So Dear To My Heart.

I'm also a huge fan of Newsies, having just converted my sister.

Regarding the more "adult" disney movies, I LOVED The Black Hole. I watched that thing hundreds of times as a kid. Big disaster movie, in space, with awesome robots, and Ernest Borgnine for crying out loud! What's not to love? :love:

And lastly, while this is becoming more known with the sequel soon to be released, but I loved Tron when nobody knew what it was. But I was a huge tech geek in the 80s. ;)

ElGravy
09-14-2010, 09:08 AM
My favorite would be Cool Runnings. Might not be that lesser known but its not the first movie you think of when you think about Disney Movies.

"Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, its bobsled time! COOL RUNNINGS! "

Keebles
09-17-2010, 08:02 PM
I LOVED Sleepy Hollow and the Donald Trick or Treat cartoon. Can I buy these anywhere?

Also, does anybody know if Mr. Boogity is for sale? I can't find it. :confused3

Sleepy Hollow is available on DVD in many different formats as Ichabod and Mr. Toad (seems like Disney releases a new version every couple of years). The last Donald Trick or Treat I remember was on the House of Mouse Villains DVD.

christopher77
09-17-2010, 09:31 PM
I had read somewhere that Trick or Treat was on the 25th anniversary DVD of The Black Cauldron. If it's not, it was on the original DVD release from the early 2000s, because I just watched it 2 nights ago :)

DisneyDetective
09-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Blackbeards Ghost with Dean Jones and Peter Ustinoff! My favourite Disney film.

jeckbets
09-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Top 10 in no particular order of preference.

1. Blade Runner
2. Fight Club
3. Cassablanca
4. Ice Cold in Alex
5. LoTR: all 3 films
6. Donnie Darko
7. The Life of Brian
8. The Matrix (first one)
9. The 39 Steps (black and white version)
10. Alien/Aliens/Alien III/Alien Resurrection

Hoosier37
10-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Lesser known, or not-so-popular, Disney movies that I love:

1) Pete's Dragon - I can quote every line of this movie. LOVE it - and I always get a little choked up when Nora sees Paul at the end.

2) Meet the Robinson's - this movie was so good, and my whole family loved it. I don't know why it wasn't liked by the critics, because it is a favorite at our house.

3) Emperor's New Groove - soooo funny.

4) Something Wicked This Way Comes - scared me to death when I was a little kid, and then I watched it over and over again anyway.

5)Flight of the Navigator - another movie that I watched over and over

Ron from Michigan
10-03-2010, 05:40 AM
Those Calloways with Brian Kieth.

Bella_Tink
10-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Summer Magic and Million Dollar Duck

KittyHellstrom
10-03-2010, 07:31 PM

Me too.

-Kitty

themermaidgirl
10-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Fun and Fancy Free
The Black Cauldron
The Emperors New Groove

mahinderkumar
10-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Robin hood is my favorite Disney Movie , I like it . It's so amazing and nice movie...

justinkemp
10-08-2010, 03:06 AM
The Lion King
Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast

sesame_123
10-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Darby O Gill and the Little people, love Sean Connery singing Ha

Oh she is my dear my darlin one....

kristina87
11-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Pollyanna definitely! and i LOVE the remake of the parent trap with Lindsay Lohan

BoosGram
11-26-2010, 01:38 PM

We love it, too. Why do we even have that lever?

I could be wrong, but I thought I read recently that Disney has no plans of ever bringing this movie out due to stereotyping. Since I never saw the movie, I guess I don't know what I'm missing. :confused3

I'm with you 626! We named our dog "Pacha" from this movie. I also love "Meet the Robinson's". I really not sure why these movies were not more popular. They were each witty and smart and worked at both the adult and kid level.

This is another one we love. Just don't understand why it didn't do better. I always find a big smile on my face when it's over.

Alaska-Ariel
11-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Newsies!

Me too! Woot Alan Menken! And, get this, I WENT to Santa Fe last year, because my fiancee had work there. It was sweet. We listened to the song as we drove into town. I was totally dorking out. It was awesome. :goodvibes

JeansG
12-13-2010, 03:50 PM
-Tower of Terror movie.
-The Emperor's New Groove.
-Pete's Dragon.
-The Rescuers Down Under.

I was just watching Pete's Dragon a few days ago and I was surprised at how good the animation was! The songs are great too! Very catchy! "Oh, Petey! Oh, Petey!...you're like a son to us!" :laughing:

JenM
12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Midnight Madness! I had the biggest crush on Michael J. Fox as a kid, and this movie was on HBO all the time back then, so I saw it a million times (although I haven't seen it in years).

StitchAquarius
12-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Blackbeard's Ghost, hands down, is my favorite lesser known Disney film. I try to watch it every year at Halloween at least, if not more. "Hang on old ladies, Blackbeard's coming! Up the Jolly Roger!"

jessytimothy
12-29-2010, 05:23 AM
My favourite Disney movies are,
-Tuck Everlasting
-The Even Stevens Movie.
-Flight of the Navigator
-The Three Lives of Thomasina.
-Oliver & Compan

HottyToddy10
12-29-2010, 01:15 PM
So Dear to My Heart

Halloweenqueen
12-29-2010, 01:32 PM
The Goofy Movie. :thumbsup2

daxosam
01-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Hear are my , What is Your Favorite Lesser Known Disney Movie

Hercules/Lion King
The Little Mermaid
Cinderella
Jungle book,.

kristina87
01-09-2011, 11:15 PM
The Goofy Movie. :thumbsup2

Oh definitely, I LOVE that movie so much! One of my faves

DisneyFamilyDad
01-11-2011, 07:16 AM
I could be wrong, but I thought I read recently that Disney has no plans of ever bringing this movie out due to stereotyping. Since I never saw the movie, I guess I don't know what I'm missing. :confused3

It has always been one of my favorites and I was able to show a copy of Song of the South to my kids so they could enjoy it. They now love Uncle Remus too. A lot of people don't realize that Splash Mountain is based on this story.

Aburns8
01-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Mine are:

Darby O'Gill and the Little People (watch is every March)
Three Lives of Tomasina
Meet the Robinsons
Hocus Pocus

keta123
01-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Okay, I haven't seen this one listed yet...my brother and I watched this on a whim growing up. We got it from the local library and were expecting a terrible movie. On the contrary, we loved it. As I grew up I realized that was broadway star Michael Crawford in the lead role. I joined the Disney Movie Club just so I could order that movie. I still love it.

PS - I would agree on the the TV movies with Mr. Boogedy. Spooky fun.

nycdisneygal
01-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Mine is "The Happiest Millionaire".
Love that some of the music they play on mainstreet is from it, love Greer Garson and also the main character has the same name as my DD (and is a brown eyed brunette like her too!). we play the soundtrack in the car all the time! Ah the Sherman bros!

My2Pixies
01-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Hocus Pocus and Newsies.

Sunshine1987
01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
My kids love the following Disney movies, watch them over and over, and are bummed that there is never any reference to them in the parks:

Emperor's New Groove - really funny!! (glad to see a few others here thought so)
Chicken Little
Home on the Range
Brother Bear (I know Coda is "supposed" to be in Canada - but we've never seen him)
Meet the Robinsons

They also like the Tower of Terror movie!

My hubbies favorite less popular movie is Treasure Planet & mine are probably Brother Bear and the Rescuers (although it WAS popular when I was young). ;)

mike7184
01-24-2011, 04:46 AM
1. Blade Runner
2. Fight Club
3. Cassablanca
4. Ice Cold in Alex
5. LoTR: all 3 films

MistressMerryweather
01-25-2011, 03:04 AM
The Happiest Millionaire and Summer Magic

PrincessBri12
04-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Definitely 'Atlantis: The Lost Empire.' Very adventurous and fun with some good jokes blended in. ^^

Disneygirl NY
05-01-2013, 01:32 PM
We are fans of:

Meet the Robinsons
Bolt
Chicken Little
Underdog - the live action version came out around 2007ish and my younger son loved it so much that he was Underdog for Halloween! Not a lot of people recognized him, but he had a Red shirt with a big white "U"on it, dog ears and a brown nose. We still like that movie...

Loves2Read
05-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Mine are Escape to Witch Mountain and Return to Witch Mountain. I was so excited when they were released on DVD.

BelleBriarRose
05-02-2013, 12:04 AM
Bedknobs and Broomsticks. It's so similar to Mary Poppins, but no one knows about it!

CabesLove
05-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Pete's Dragon was always one of my favorites! I can't believe how many people have never heard of it. I also love Summer Magic, and the Tower of Terror movie!

jtwibih
05-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Pollyanna - I don't understand why Disney doesn't show this anymore. Great message
Meet the Robinsons

WillJenDisney
05-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Can't believe nobody has said The Greatest Game Ever Played. It only did $15M at the box office, so I'm going to call it lesser known.

I am confused by some people citing movies that are among disneys top box office earners of all time as 'lesser known'! The Lion King, the little mermaid, beauty and the beast? Someone please tell me I'm not just so old that these have become lesser known...please...

JohnPA
05-06-2013, 11:35 AM
I love Newsies, and many others that folks have said, but my favorite "really lesser known Disney movie" has to be "The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band". Great cast, and even though Robert Sherman wasn't thrilled writing for it, the Sherman Brothers' score is great. First movie with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn together, although she was a little too old for him at that point.

Ginacrella
05-07-2013, 09:16 PM
World's Greatest Athlete. Had the biggest crush on Jan-Michael Vincent. Sadly he fell off the deep end.

donac
05-08-2013, 06:06 AM
Pete's Dragon was always one of my favorites! I can't believe how many people have never heard of it. I also love Summer Magic, and the Tower of Terror movie!

I love Pete's Dragon too. What a great cast

jgirl124
05-11-2013, 12:02 AM
I LOVE Tuck Everlasting. So good and sad! I also love the Parent Trap (though not sure if that's really 'lesser' known') and Lady & the Tramp, which I feel like is underrated in terms of Disney cartoons!

kmac2384
05-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Emperor's New Groove is great! Every time we are at the parks I check for ENG merchandise but sadly I never see it. I would LOVE to see a remake of Bedknobs and Broomsticks. They can do so much with special effects.

PaulaMarie
05-23-2013, 03:40 PM
There are almost too many to list. Some that I really like that seem to be either forgotten or know one knows about are: Bedknobs and Broomsticks, So Dear to My Heart, The Gnome Mobile, Follow Me Boys, and so many more wonderful movies.

got2lovedisney
05-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Homeward Bound. I even named my cat Sassy!

DisneyDiva8401
05-23-2013, 05:30 PM
The apple dumplin gang!

DisneyDiva8401
05-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Flight of the navigator

HubbDave
05-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Not my favorite, but watching Million Dollar Duck attm

Nakkira
05-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Hard to pick One favorite so here are some of mine:

Summer Magic & In Search of the Castaways with Hayley Mills -okay, almost any Disney Hayley Mills movie

Wild Hearts Can't be Broken

The Boy Who Could Fly

Newsies!

Flight of the Navigator

Pete's Dragon

Candleshoe
AND the Original Escape to Witch Mountain (love the scene with the puppets)

Nakkira
05-24-2013, 01:30 PM
They need to bring Back the Disney Sunday Night Movie.
Too few people my age and younger do know know these gems!

kaelalala
05-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Newsies is pretty much the greatest movie in the world imo
Also I feel like Great Mouse Detective is forgotten a lot - a real shame, I adore that movie!!

HubbDave
06-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Aristocats is good, too

Zsa Zsa Gabor as a cat..meow!

DianaPrince
06-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Emperor's New Groove is great! Every time we are at the parks I check for ENG merchandise but sadly I never see it. I would LOVE to see a remake of Bedknobs and Broomsticks. They can do so much with special effects.

Same here!

LoveMMC
06-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Newsies has been my favourite for years- have the movie poster and all

Movies like Iron Will, Homeward bound, Duck movies etc- loved these growing up

Worldgirl
06-17-2013, 02:05 AM
Robin Hood
The Emperors New Grove
Atlantis
Treasure Planet
Halloweentown
Cheetah Girls (loved it when I was really little)
Kim Possible's Disney channel movie
Meet The Robinson

As a little kid my favorite Disney villain was the prince from Robin Hood.

ArielSparrow
06-22-2013, 11:25 AM
I don't know what's a lesser known Disney movie. My all-time favorite movie has always been Newsies, but even that is well known now. I've only been to DCA once since they added the trolley show, so I watched it the times that day.

DisneyMarvelStarWars
06-22-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm surprised at how few people (non DIS-ers) know about Pete's Dragon. That is one of my all-time favorites.

One of the more obscure ones is Superdad. I LOVE that one!!!

ArielSparrow
06-22-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm surprised at how few people (non DIS-ers) know about Pete's Dragon. That is one of my all-time favorites.

One of the more obscure ones is Superdad. I LOVE that one!!!

Love it and just got the DVD recently. Maybe I'll watch tonight

angelmichelle
06-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Treasure Planet and Atlantis!:thumbsup2

SofieMouseketeer
06-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Ferngully!

Zooshoveller
06-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Ferngully!

I don't think that's a Disney movie.

ArielSparrow
06-24-2013, 10:10 AM
I don't think that's a Disney movie.

It's not ...

hoosiermike
06-24-2013, 12:21 PM
The Ugly Dachshund for me.

Zooshoveller
06-24-2013, 08:02 PM
1. The Brave Little Toaster

2. A Goofy Movie

3. Return to Oz

4. And so many more!!!

Argopelter
06-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Hero in the family.
Mr Boogedy.
The Swamp Fox.
Johnny Tremaine.
The animated robin Hood.
And so many more like everyone else.

What a trip down memory lane. I wonder if my parents have any of those old tapes of Sunday night movies I used to watch over and over again. It's funny as a kid I knew who Michael Eisner was but as an adult have only heard the name Bob Iger.

Ms Janis
07-03-2013, 08:50 PM
I love Pete's Dragon and I'm from Maine where it took place. The Gogan's really crack me up.

Those Calloways is a really good old movie! I bought it for my dh, he can remember seeing it as a kid.

DoleWhippedPascal
07-09-2013, 10:05 AM
I don't know if this counts as "lesser-known", but I really love Fantasia 2000 :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :love: :lovestruc

Stitch_Is_King
07-25-2013, 06:54 PM
For me it would be:

The Emperor's New Groove
Kronk's New Grove
and (and this one is really going back a ways and is a cheesy movie):
The Black Hole

MomofIndigo
07-25-2013, 07:26 PM
-Pollyanna

-Watcher in the Woods

-The Computer who wore sneakers

MomofIndigo
07-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Hero in the family.
Mr Boogedy.
The Swamp Fox.
Johnny Tremaine.
The animated robin Hood.
And so many more like everyone else.

What a trip down memory lane. I wonder if my parents have any of those old tapes of Sunday night movies I used to watch over and over again. It's funny as a kid I knew who Michael Eisner was but as an adult have only heard the name Bob Iger.

I LOVED LOVED Sunday Night for that very reason. I would copy him "Hello, I am Michael Eisner. Tonight..." I miss that so much now. I am a disney movie club member and literally shrieked when I saw that the animated Robin Hood is coming out on Blu Ray. Good time of being an 80s kid LOL

BayouBelle77
07-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Blackbeard's Ghost, Summer Magic, and last but not least, The Moonspinners.

stephaknee
07-28-2013, 05:39 AM
I love James and the Giant Peach. I think a lot of people forget that it's Disney.