View Full Version : double booking car rental?
08-20-2002, 10:49 AM
I have booked National and Dollar for a trip in 4 weeks. Dollar has the better rate. How long can I wait to cancel National without incurring a penalty fee?(Is there a fee if I do not cancel and do not pick up?) I realize I would not want to hold a car up if someone else needed it, but I have never dealt with Dollar and have heard many having a back-up. Is this poor manners?
Thanks for any input related to this.
08-20-2002, 12:02 PM
From what I've seen and read, there is no penalty unless maybe they have your credit card on file; then I wouldn't chance it.
National's website says they do have a 'no-show' fee... but I don't think the others do. If they don't have your credit card, then they can't charge you anyway...
I'm holding a reservation for National (my prefered rental company) Full size for 8 days at $205 hoping it will come down. Then I also have a Dollar reservation since the ENTERTAIN code is giving such a good discount. $185 for an Intermediate with a coupon for a free upgrade.
As my trip gets closer, I'll decide between the 2 but I won't keep both and just skip out on one; I'll cancel it before I leave for my vacation.
08-21-2002, 07:48 AM
I have often held 2 car rental reservations at a time but it is temporary and I always cancel one well in advance of my trip. I have never held 2 rental reservations upon arrival at the airport and have never had a problem of any kind.
I would like to believe that car rental problems are very rare but maybe we have just always been lucky.
I haven't heard many, or any, for that matter, bad things about Dollar. I have used both National and Dollar.
I am trying Hertz for the first time next week and don't feel the need for a "back up".
I say take the better deal and cancel the other and then don't worry about it.
(It is so nice to hear someone worried about poor manners! :) Have a great trip! )
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.