PDA

View Full Version : Disney on Broadway

kelseighrox925
07-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Here's the place to discuss favorite Disney plays, musicals, and Disney films you want to see turned into Broadway shows.

scarscar93
07-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I felt a little sad when I heard about a Toy Story musical.

No, thanks. Please keep my childhood on the big and small screens, Disney.

I really want to see Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins on Broadway, and my school's putting on Beauty & the Beast this upcoming school year. Can't wait to see it!

I nominate a Song of the South stage adaptation. Yeah, yeah, there's been racial controversy about the movie, but look at what you can get away with on Broadway.

ClassyChic
07-16-2010, 05:28 PM
scarscar93 Really a Toy Story musical?

I'd love to see The Little Mermaid on stage as well, I've been watching some videos on YouTube and it looks really good.

scarscar93
07-18-2010, 03:14 PM
scarscar93 Really a Toy Story musical?
I'm not entirely sure how elaborate or promoted it'll be, but I was flipping channels and when I got to Disney Channel there was a snippet mentioning a TS musical in the works.

It made me sad.

jpink23
07-21-2010, 11:50 AM

I really want to see Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins on Broadway, and my school's putting on Beauty & the Beast this upcoming school year. Can't wait to see it!

as far as i know, the toy story musical was one of their short musicals that disney is putting on one of the new cruise ships. (my friend auditioned for it and got a few callbacks too)

and if you get a chance, see mary poppins! not the best broadway musical that i have seen but you will have so much fun and be BLOWN AWAY by some of the stunts they do.

ps. i have heard pretty solid rumors of hunchback being the next broadway show :D hopefully that'll be a long awaited dream come true

disEAR
07-22-2010, 02:27 AM
We saw the traveling version of The Lion King Broadway show last week and it simply blew us away. I have very limited experience with Broadway shows but must say the music, effects, performances and choreography left my jaw on the floor.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

AmandaSparks730
07-22-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't know about you, but I think the Hunchback of Notre Dame would be an INCREDIBLE musical. The music is very, very theatrical (especially The Bells of Notre Dame), and the plot is killer. I can imagine it being somewhat Phantom of the Opera-esque, very dramatic, but very pretty and moving.

Seeing The Lion King for the second time next February (the tour version again). I've seen Beauty and the Beast 3 times, though, and I loved it.

I enjoy the Tarzan soundtrack very much, wish it would tour. Not too crazy about Mary Poppins, and The Little Mermaid is iffy.

jpink23
07-22-2010, 10:34 AM
really? not to crazy about mp? have you seen it live?

i am in love with lion king and i am pretty sure that b&b was my favorite on broadway. it was the first show i had ever seen done though at a young age so i am pretty loyal to it haha. but next to those two, aida was simply amazing as well. not a disney story, but i am so glad that they produced it.

AmandaSparks730
07-22-2010, 01:56 PM
really? not to crazy about mp? have you seen it live?

i am in love with lion king and i am pretty sure that b&b was my favorite on broadway. it was the first show i had ever seen done though at a young age so i am pretty loyal to it haha. but next to those two, aida was simply amazing as well. not a disney story, but i am so glad that they produced it.
I've seen countless video clips, including parade/TV performances. I also have the OLC soundtrack, and I'm not fond of listening to it. There's something about the newer songs that irks me...they bore me a bit, to be honest. I don't know. I guess I just prefer The Lion King.

jpink23
07-22-2010, 05:33 PM
understadable. i hate the london cast soundtrack, and i was pretty unhappy with jolly holiday, but the show as a whole was a pleasant surprise! a friend and i were up in new york one day not planning on seeing a show and spur of the moment decided seeing one haha and that was the closest theatre, so we went for it! if you get a chance, see it live. not as visually stunning as some of their others, but defiantly worth it.

Queenofspoons
07-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I heard rumors that the Burton version of Alice in Wonderland is going to be made into a musical, their is one problem with this: How are they going to do the shrinking and streaching live on stage? :confused3

alisonwonderland64
07-23-2010, 12:28 AM
I've seen countless video clips, including parade/TV performances. I also have the OLC soundtrack, and I'm not fond of listening to it. There's something about the newer songs that irks me...they bore me a bit, to be honest. I don't know. I guess I just prefer The Lion King.

Definitely try to see it if you can, the cast recording doesn't do the show justice I don't think. I've seen Mary Poppins twice now (once in London, once on Broadway) and really enjoyed it both times, but I barely ever listen to the cast recording because it's just not that interesting--the songs work SO much better in context, in my opinion.

I've heard a lot of rumors about Disney making Dumbo into a musical (http://www.playbill.com/news/article/137463-Will-Dumbo-Fly-on-Broadway), which I'm pretty skeptical about...it seems like kind of a strange choice to me, but I guess you never know. I also remember hearing a rumor somewhere that they might bring Newsies to the stage, which I think is a great idea...that movie definitely would work as a musical.

Personally, I'm hoping the Hunchback rumors are true, I agree that that would be a great musical! I think it already is a musical in Germany, but I'd love to see it come to America. Either that or Aladdin.

jpink23
07-23-2010, 01:14 PM
I have heard the Newsies rumor as well! lol but that was just from a friend that is a little theatre crazy and i think wants that to happen more than anything. and i have heard about the aladdin musical, but i think that is supposed to be for the disneyland in california. i heard it is being written by the same people who wrote the finding nemo musical for the parks.

ClassyChic
07-23-2010, 05:46 PM
@ JPink23 I've heard a lot of good things about the Mary Poppins musical!
I've never seen a musical live before and I'm hoping one day I'll be able to.

thisonegirl
07-25-2010, 08:56 AM
I thought I was the only one who heard anything about Dumbo. Interesting choice, I'd say....

HoND has been a rumor for a while now. Apparently, it has been in Germany, but it is very dark, and they're trying to edit the darker themes out. I wish they would keep the darker elements in....

Though I could imagine, the sets would be gorgeous!

ZiPaD3doDAH
07-25-2010, 05:28 PM
i would LOVE to see Tarzan & The Newsies.

Rose DiVerona
07-29-2010, 09:34 PM
I love The Lion King; it was my favorite Disney movie as a kid, and it was the first show I ever saw on Broadway. I love listening to the cast recording.

I also really like the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack, too, though I haven't seen it onstage...yet! Own The Little Mermaid's OBCR as well, and it's pretty good, but isn't a must-see for me.

Tarzan, on the other hand...that I would really like to see. Tarzan Rocks was a great show at the AK, and I love the power in some of the songs.

Hunchback of Notre Dame would be an interesting one. I actually only just got into the music from the film--it was never a favorite of mine when I was younger.

smileycrissy
08-03-2010, 02:25 AM
I saw Beauty & the Beast on Broadway in NY before it was 'closing its doors'. It was AMAZING! :love: It made me feel like a kid all over again. If it ever came to town (whereever I end up), I'd definitely go to see it again.

smileycrissy
08-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Oh and I meant to mention this. I think Newsies would be fun to see. I do hope the rumors for it turn out to be true.

kelseighrox925
08-03-2010, 10:21 PM
I would love to see A Goofy Movie made into a stage show. The songs are perfect, so upbeat and catchy. And I think Elijah Kelley would make a killer Powerline.

NYUBwayBaby
08-04-2010, 03:08 AM
Hunchback of Notre Dame (Der Glockner Von Notre Dame) has already played in Germany, I believe. I have the cast recording, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Hopefully it won't suffer the same fate as Dances with Vampires- dark and apparently amazing in Germany, but terribly terribly campy in NY.

The only Disney Broadway show I've seen is Little Mermaid. It was alright- fun, but not my favorite thing I've seen. I saw a few minutes of Beauty and the Beast/got to go backstage when I volunteered for BC/EFA once. That was fun. :)

I honestly can't think of another show I'd like to see at the moment... I had a list at some point, but I can't think of a single one now. I suppose another "princess" musical, probably Aladdin. I heard somewhere that there's this rule that Disney doesn't really want to have more than one musical with a princess on Broadway at a time :confused3

::Snow_White::
08-04-2010, 10:12 AM
I would love to see Newsies on broadway, it would be perfect.

I've seen the Lion King and it blew me away. I was never a big fan of the movie but decided to see the show on tour and it was amazing.

Melnalala
08-11-2010, 02:22 PM
If you had to pick one which would it be?

jpink23
08-16-2010, 12:31 AM
if i had to pick any show... it would probs be hunchback as first choice then aladdin or robin hood! lol idk how rh would work, but it has some potential? right?

Amber Leigh
08-16-2010, 04:02 AM
Someone already said it but yes, they did do Hunchback on stage in Germany. At the time it was intended to reach New York, but never did. It was apparently still in development for adaptation in 2008, but that was the last time anything was mentioned about it.

For me I have seen Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aida, Tarzan, and The Little Mermaid. So basically... everything in New York so far besides Mary Poppins. I am not a fan of Mary Poppins to begin with so I have no desire to go see it. My family went without me and loved it, but I would rather go see Lion King again at full before going to see Mary Poppins at a discounted price.

Their stage productions I feel have gradually gone a bit down hill. Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, and Aida were all fantastic! Tarzan I personally loved more then the critiques seemed to but it had a few huge flaws in the plot changes they made that ruined the message of it as well as the character of Clayton. Annnnnnd then there was The Little Mermaid. God I am so happy only paid $26 for a standing room only ticket cus it was not worth much more then that. Total DISASTER. They took a bunch of staging elements that work well apart but put together created a total MESS. That plus the even more outrageous changes to the plot then what they did to Tarzan made it almost painful to watch. It had so much promise with the demo record I heard... and then it just didn't live up to all the hype.

As for what the future holds, the two titles that have been dropped though NOT confirmed are indeed Dumbo. What? I guess it could be cute with a little kid as Dumbo but there are SO many better plots out there to make into a musical. And though it pains me to say this the second title that is in heavy rumors is... Tim Burton's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland thought I DOUBT this is going to get much push at the moment since another production about Alice's adventures in Wonderland is already through workshops and projected for next season.

I have always thought that Hercules would make a great stage musical. It has the potential for some REALLY creative costuming and stage effects as well as I personally like the songs. It doesn't get enough credit in my opinion.

melissa0208
08-18-2010, 01:01 PM
B&B - loved it
TLC - PHENOMINAL!
Tarzan - loved it

My SIL saw MP and she said it was good.

OMG if Newsies ever came to Broadway I would probably freak out and would pay whatever they wated for opening day tickets.

kelseighrox925
12-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I saw Beauty and the Beast on tour recently...it was spectacular.

Mickeynighttimemagic
12-27-2010, 05:35 AM

I nominate a Song of the South stage adaptation. Yeah, yeah, there's been racial controversy about the movie, but look at what you can get away with on Broadway.

I agree Song of the South would be a beautiful musical if given the chance. :thumbsup2

tweedlemom
12-27-2010, 02:38 PM
I saw Mary Poppins just a few weeks ago in NY and it was AMAZING! Even my DS7 and DS9 loved it. :goodvibes

Butler_chic07
12-27-2010, 10:12 PM
The Lion King by far is the best musical of all time!!! :worship: and I love musicals!

I think Princess and the Frog would be cool... it would be challenging, but the music in it is AMAZING, and if they can do The Lion King, I am sure they could find some creative way :goodvibes I can dream at least.

disneygirl1212
01-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I would love to see a musical of Monster's Inc. :D Put that thing back where it came from or so help me!!!!

ajjollie23
09-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Going to see Newsies off broadway at the Papermill Playhouse.. so excited

benolathe
09-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Going to see Newsies off broadway at the Papermill Playhouse.. so excited

Sounds like fun! Loved the movie. Certainly hope the show is good. Let us know what you think.

pixie08
03-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Just bought tickets to the Newsies Broadway production for the end of May. Tickets were hard to get for that time. Its seems they are selling out fast, weekends anyway, since it is a limited engagement (for now)!

BelleBriarRose
03-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Lion King on Broadway was wonderful! I would also love to see a staged version of Aladdin. The "A Whole New World" scene on the flying carpet could be very creative!

JenM
03-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Just bought tickets to the Newsies Broadway production for the end of May. Tickets were hard to get for that time. Its seems they are selling out fast, weekends anyway, since it is a limited engagement (for now)!

They extended to August 19 now! I have a feeling it's going to be an open-ended run, it seems to be shaping up to be a big hit.

And it's about time! I saw the movie in theaters twice when it first came out, both times we were the only people there. :laughing:

I'm seeing it on Broadway on April 30. Can't wait! :cool1:

BelleBriarRose
03-28-2012, 11:23 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but I've read some reviews saying that Newsies is the best staged adaptation of a Disney movie so far. Do people agree with that? I'm sure it's great, and I can't wait to see it.

edoyle7185
03-28-2012, 01:51 PM
I just saw Newsies this past Sunday and it was incredible. The singing and dancing is on point. For anyone that is interested in seeing the show you should go to the Newsies facebook page and checkout the video that they posted this morning. I would post the video myself but I can't since I don't have 10 posts yet.

Queenofspoons
03-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I've had this crazy idea that they should adapt "A Nightmare before Christmas" into a seasonal show (like the Grinch and Elf broadway musicals). Sure their are somethings in the movie that proably would be hard to stage, but I had this cool idea that Oogie Boogie should be a bunraku puppet thats controlled by two puppeteers, and at the end it would rip open to reveal his bugs.

JenM
03-30-2012, 10:49 PM
I just saw Newsies this past Sunday and it was incredible. The singing and dancing is on point. For anyone that is interested in seeing the show you should go to the Newsies facebook page and checkout the video that they posted this morning. I would post the video myself but I can't since I don't have 10 posts yet.

Here it is. Love it! Can't wait to see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5wvimJFi9s&feature=relmfu

BelleBriarRose
04-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Newsies is my second favorite live-action Disney movie (Mary Poppins is number one). I am so thrilled they made it into a Broadway show! :cloud9:

donac
04-08-2012, 10:22 PM
My son saw Newsies twice in the last 6 months. He saw it Oct at Papermill and last month on Broadway. He loved it both times. He says it is a great show. I hope that those who get tickets enjoy it.

pixie08
04-17-2012, 11:09 AM
About a month to Newsies...I am very excited. Glad to hear all the great reviews!

JenM
04-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Just got back from seeing Newsies on Broadway. We loved it! The dancing was incredible, it stopped the show twice. We had a great time!

edoyle7185
05-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Well Newsies just received 8 Tony nominations. Hopefully this will make disney give it an open run.

JenM
05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Well Newsies just received 8 Tony nominations. Hopefully this will make disney give it an open run.

From what I've read, it's pretty much a done deal. I think it was just a matter of working out everyone's contracts and waiting for the Tony nominations.

Plus, advertising a closing date creates a great rush for tickets going into tourist season.

Listening to the audience reaction last night, my sister and I both said "Nope, they're not closing this in August!"

They're also releasing the movie on blu-ray in June. I heard a bunch of people saying they wanted to get it during intermission last night. I also heard a lot of people saying they wanted to check out "Joyful Noise", which starred Jeremy Jordan (who plays Jack in Newsies and just got a Tony nomination)...guess that movie is getting a nice boost too!

edoyle7185
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
From what I've read, it's pretty much a done deal. I think it was just a matter of working out everyone's contracts and waiting for the Tony nominations.

Plus, advertising a closing date creates a great rush for tickets going into tourist season.

Listening to the audience reaction last night, my sister and I both said "Nope, they're not closing this in August!"

They're also releasing the movie on blu-ray in June. I heard a bunch of people saying they wanted to get it during intermission last night. I also heard a lot of people saying they wanted to check out "Joyful Noise", which starred Jeremy Jordan (who plays Jack in Newsies and just got a Tony nomination)...guess that movie is getting a nice boost too!

I hope you are right. I've already seen the show twice and I would love to see it again.

pixie08
05-01-2012, 06:09 PM

:banana: 3 more weeks!

ellenmiele
05-14-2012, 08:16 AM
My daughters and I saw Newsies at Paper Mill and this weekend saw it in NYC and brought DS and DH. It is fabulous! My daughters and I will be going again when we take my niece for her graduation present. And not only was the show itself fantastic but afterwards almost all the cast came to the stage door and signed autographs. We even took pictures with some of them. Every one of them was so gracious and just so appreciative and respectful of the fans to give us thAt kind of time - and they had another show in a few hrs. I just can't say enough. It's a very Disney experience! Hope it continues the run.....

Re: other Disney movies that could come to Broadway.... There has been a school play version of Aladdin that's been around for a while but last summer I had heard about a full stage production - I think in Seattle - an out-of-town tryout I guess - and if it did well I thought it would be coming to NY. This summer it will be in St Louis in Juky and then Utah in the fall. I've seen the school version and I think a full on Broadway production would be terrific. If Newsies doesn't get extended maybe we'll see Aladdin come to Broadway....Or maybe, following in the footsteps of Newsies, a run at Paper Mill.....

edoyle7185
05-16-2012, 05:39 PM
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-NEWSIES-Run-on-Broadway-Is-Now-Open-Ended-20120516

So excited to get the chance to see it again.

JenM
05-16-2012, 07:13 PM
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-NEWSIES-Run-on-Broadway-Is-Now-Open-Ended-20120516

So excited to get the chance to see it again.

Yay!! Planning to see it again in July. :cool1:

piratehookspixiedust
05-24-2012, 10:15 PM
I have seen Beauty and the Beast on broadway twice. I love Broadway and I fuly intend on taking the entire family the next time The Lion King comes our way. I hear it is breathtakingly amazing...

pixie08
05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
yes Lion King is amazing! A must see!

elmlea22
06-16-2012, 01:23 PM
I think that Aladdin would be a good show

LongLiveDisney
07-03-2012, 04:19 PM
The Lion King broadway show was astonishing. It was absolutely incredible. I was sitting at the edge of my seat the entire time and the scenery was outstanding. I got chills when Circle of Life started being sung. :D

orca91
07-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Saw beauty and the beast on Broadway, it was great. Love the Gaston song and his sidekick. Would love to see Newies on Broadway.

MLLynch
07-19-2012, 12:46 PM
I live in NJ, so it's very easy for me to visit NYC. I've seen, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Mary Poppins and Newsies.

The were all excellent with great actors and incredible sets.

Michele

Orreed
07-19-2012, 02:05 PM
I saw a touring productions of Mary Poppins and it was eh. I really want to see Newsies now:hyper:! I have also have always wanted to see Lion King. My school is also doing Little Mermaid. It should be inserting how it turns out. I heard the Broadway one was not the best but I hope we make some changes and hearing that music all the time will be great!:lovestruc So excited to do a Disney show :cool1:

belliiee
07-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Hi from Holland! First post so don't blame me for some English mistakes. :)
I'm a really big musicalfan. Although I live in a small country, we have great musicals here.

We've had a few Disney musicals here as well.
My first Disney musical was The Lion King, soon I hope to see it in London beceause I can't remember me that much of the show.
Next was Beauty and the Beast (seen it 4 times), it was great!
I cried like a baby when they played their last show :lmao:

But then.. Tarzan came in the theatre. I've seen it 15 times, including the European premiere. With front row tickets (OMG!). Phil Collins got on stage (he's so small!). It was such a great experience!
I met really great friends out there.

High School Musical, seen it 3 times, wasn't that great but hey! As a student you can get into the theatre voor only 10 euros.

In that same year we've got a great show; Disney's Musical Sing-a-long; 4 great actors, 1 great show with really cool Disney songs!
It was so funny everybody in the theatre was singing Disney songs!

Mary Poppins was so cute, I know a little girl who played "Jane" so I went a few times just for her.

Now we have The Little Mermaid but it is really bad :(
I've seen footage from Broadway and this is just... well: wrong cast, ugly wigs and NO ROLLERSKATES, they walk!!

DisneyAllyC
09-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Beauty and the Beast is my favorite. Saw it on Broadway twice and I was in it in high school. I also saw Mary Poppins and The Lion King and I loved them too!! I forgot I also saw The Little Mermaid. Didn't make a lasting impression on me. I loved some parts of it like all the things we know from the movie but I found myself bored at times.

StarMoon
09-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Tickets are so expensive so I usually have to wait till it goes on tour but I've seen the Lion King on tour and Beauty and the Beast on tour both I absolutely loved. I was lucky enough to get the chance to see The Little Mermaid on Broadway it was ok, not up to their usual standards. I want to see Newsies so bad!

Baby Pluto
09-19-2012, 05:29 PM
I've seen the Lion King and Beauty and the Beast, both were absolutely spectacular but the Lion King is my favourite.
I would love to see Alice in Wonderland on broadway!!!

DisneyAllyC
09-22-2012, 01:08 PM
I've seen every one except Tarzan which I hear wasn't great anyway. But Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King are two of the best ones. Mary Poppins is right behind. Didn't care about The Little Mermaid all that much. And I want to see Newsies!

DisneyAllyC
10-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Okay so I finally saw Newsies today. WOW!!!! It was insanely amazing! I loved it so much! Love dancing guys! :cool1:

donac
10-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Okay so I finally saw Newsies today. WOW!!!! It was insanely amazing! I loved it so much! Love dancing guys! :cool1:

My ds and his gf were at the evening show yesterday.

sallysmom
10-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Not technically a Disney show but it was a Hyperion book, which is owned by Disney... PETER AND THE STARCATCHERS is absolutely hilarious. Incredible play/musical.:cheer2::cheer2:

latinpaprika
12-26-2012, 12:08 AM
I've had the priviledge of seeing a few Disney shows on Broadway and I only have a little criticism for Mary Poppins. I didn't like the fact that they messed with Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and as wonderful as the cast is I'm veeeery passionate about Julie Andrews. :P

When I saw the Little Mermaid I was expecting to be very disappointed to be honest. I LOVED it. I thought it was brilliant, even the adaptations didn't bother me.
The Lion King was okay. Fun and interesting.
Beauty and the Beast is by far the most amazing. Flawless.

I enjoy watching my silly Broadway DVDs even if I don't particularly love all of them, but I'm happy to have TLM. I'm in love with it and I love the extra songs as well.

Feet9800
01-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Mary Poppins on Broadway = Perfection.

Steffanie Leigh portrayed Mary Poppins almost as well as Julie Andrews did. Gavin Lee (Bert) also did very well. The special effects and blocking(such as flying) blew me away.

I just wish I had been able to see The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast when they were still on Broadway.

Next Stop--> The Lion King!

cjeanhage
01-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Mary Poppins on Broadway = Perfection.

Steffanie Leigh portrayed Mary Poppins almost as well as Julie Andrews did. Gavin Lee (Bert) also did very well. The special effects and blocking(such as flying) blew me away.

I just wish I had been able to see The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast when they were still on Broadway.

Next Stop--> The Lion King!

The Lion King was amazing!!!! :) you'll love it!!! It so magical the way that they bring it to the stage :)

cjeanhage
01-04-2013, 08:15 PM
I've seen Mary Poppins which was amazing (except for the small fact that the story line was a rad different which caught me off guard hahaha ) and Lion was Spectacular!!!!!! 😊

rutgers1
01-17-2013, 05:56 PM
My quick reviews:
1) Lion King: Excellent show. The entire family loved it. If I recall, the seating was totally, totally cramped.
2) Newsies: Good. Not great. I think my family liked it more than me.
3) Mary Poppins: Decent. We wouldn't go back.