View Full Version : Am I looking 2 soon for Airline Tickets?

08-15-2002, 05:36 PM
I live in NJ and the two airports I fly out of are Phila or Atlantic City. I'm in the middle so it doesn't matter which. I just checked for airfare prices for early November and even spirit airlines which is supposed to be a discount airline, lowest price was $334. r/t

Am I shopping too soon or too late? Or, do you think perhaps the prices are elevated b/c of US Airways current bankruptsy? I have never paid more than 189.00 to Florida from either location?

travelin' tigger
08-15-2002, 06:20 PM
It's never too early to shop for airfare. A few weeks ago I got great prices on Southwest. AirTran is also having a sale but I think it's for flights thru October 2. I try and check the airlines a couple times a week because you never know when they'll drop their prices and once they do, they don't stick around long!!! Good luck!! :p

08-15-2002, 08:20 PM
We're traveling in early to mid November. We don't have tickets yet either. I'm hoping that at 2 months out, or at the beginning of September for us, that the prices will drop.
Every day I check Southwest.com, Orbitz.com, & Delta.com.

08-15-2002, 08:53 PM
That does sound high. What are your dates? Are you staying over a Saturday night?

08-15-2002, 10:16 PM
I would sign up for Travelocity's e-mail alerts for both airports. Then you will know if your fare drops in price.;)

08-16-2002, 10:36 AM
I entered dates of the first 2 saturdays in Nov through the next Thursday. So in either case I'd be over a saturday.

Was also looking to fly to Kentucky from Phil in October and those prices aren't any better.

I'll keep checking.

08-16-2002, 05:54 PM
I know from Pittsburgh to Orlando, Saturday flights are hard to get, especially in the morning. You need to book early to get the cheapest seats. Can you go Thursday or Friday? I always got the best rates when we went Thursday to Tuesday.

08-16-2002, 09:32 PM
we got our airfare about a month ago and were not going till december. we just kept looking because airfare out of MSP is usally not under 300. we got ours for 99. so keep checking every few days

08-17-2002, 08:11 AM
We are leaving late October out of Wash. DC and still have not gotten our tickets yet either. I receive the Travelocity alerts and check regularly. In the past, fare sales should be starting as we get closer to labor day. They did drop yesterday for us for one day, but did not cover my stay. Right now the fare is running $176, which is high for this area. We usually pay about $150 or less. There should be some good fares showing up for September as they have for the past couple of years. I do find that once an airlines offers a reduced fare, other airlines will almost always follow within the next day. I have been checking the flights I want and right now the plane is still practically empty. Now when the seats start disappearing, I get a little panicity. We paid $131 last fall. We are going for a short trip next month and only paid $148. People say that since 9/11 the fares are higher, but I've flown 4 times since then and haven't seen any increase in fares. Just keep watching all of the travel sites and these boards.

08-17-2002, 09:30 AM
We also can fly from either Newark or Phila. and have found Phila to be cheaper. I looked online on Expedia.com for about 2 months every few days, at different times of the day and the price really changes.......it went from 158 to 216 in a matter of days. Just when it had dropped to 186 and stayed there for a few days, I thought I should book, but waited.....and got 4 tix for 133 each!! I went online yesterday (8/16) to check itinerary to make sure nothing had changed and same flights now are 136 to 141 nonstop.
You just need to be consistant and spend a lot of time checking ...it will be worth it !!
Good Luck


08-17-2002, 11:11 AM
If you're planning of traveling either of the first two weekends of Nov, you've found yourself right in the middle of NJ week. NJ schools are closed for Nov 7,8 and some for the whole week due to the Teacher conventions and election day. A lot of NJ families travel dow to WDW due to the good weather and lower prices. I know most flights have been booked up since May, since when we made our flight arrangements, the lowest we were able to find was $311pp and limited seat availability. We couldn't get 4 seats together and are sitting 2 and 2. A co-worker of Dh's was able to find affordable airfare by flying out of LGA, so that might be an option for you. Both EWR and PHL are pretty booked solid and I wouldn't count on airfare dropping, since most of the flights are booked solid. I know mine are, my sister tried to join us on our flights and was unable to, since they were sold out!!! Good Luck!!

08-17-2002, 11:28 AM
We don't fly much, so please give me your opinions on our situation:

We're planning a trip to WDW in early June 2003. We live near Pgh. which means we're limited to USAir. DH has enough freq. flyer miles to get 2 free tix (we have 2 DS's, so we'll need 4 tix in all). I know they only sell so many freq. flyer seats per plane, so I have to book way far in advance. You also have to PAY in advance, with a hefty $100 per ticket change fee. USAir is saying they're going to cut some routes, etc. and hope to emerge from bankruptcy in "spring 2003".

Do I book now (the lowest fare I found so far was $205 per ticket) or should I wait until Dec/Jan when USAir might know what they're doing next year? I would assume that if I book and pay for a flight now and once they're done with their restructuring if that flight disappears, they'd let me change flights without paying the $100 per ticket since it wasn't my fault, right?

Last time we went to WDW I tried using his freq. flyer miles 3 months out and they didn't have any seats left. I'd really like to use them this next trip, so I want to time my purchase just right. Any advice???

08-17-2002, 12:05 PM

I wouldn't wait too long, especially if you want to go on a Saturday. I've booked FF tickets from Pittsburgh and they can be hard to get more than 6 months out, especially non-stop. We're going in December and I called in May, the date I wanted was soldout except for the 8:55pm flight (Saturday Dec 7). So we're going on Friday Dec 6, I was able to get an 11:35am. The morning flights go first, usually there is more availability on the afternoon & evening ones. If you already have it booked, they have to move you with no charge if your flight is cancelled/changed. If you already have dates selected, you may want to call them and just see what availability looks like now.

David from ma.
08-18-2002, 05:38 PM
We fly out of boston in dec and i buy our ticket in june. because we like to fly in the 7 am. and leave 7 pm. our ticket cost 180.00 rt. it's two extra days in disney. if i try to buy same ticket now there big bucks

08-18-2002, 08:23 PM
We fly out of Newark and the fares have been $211, then they went to $183 for the first week of Dec, then if you completed travel by Dec 14th the RT was $155.. I purchased yesterday from Continental for $155 RT...Delta also had the same fare and restrictions. The $155 fare sale offer ends August 20th.