PDA

View Full Version : Carousel of Progress

tomko
08-15-2002, 11:19 AM
:(

Well, the COP is closed again as of August 17,2002. Confirmed by a recent phone call received from Thomas Hobbs at the WDW executive offices today.

Reason being is simply demand and of course budget. The attraction closes at times if they see the demand / attendance is low. This also is so for the "Timekeeper".

Mr. Hobbs was happy to see the support from the public about this classic COP attraction. He assured me the closing is not permenant and they will reopen. He could not give me a time of the reopening. He just stated that it depends on the demand/attendance of the park.

Thank you Mr Hobbs for being so courteous by returning my phone call.

It is very much appreciated by me and also the supporters of www.carouselofprogress.com

I did mention to Mr Hobbs that the traffic on the my site has dramatically increased over the past few months after the 9/11 tragety. Maybe because people are searching for happy times and memories which are portrayed by the music and theme behind such a great Disney Classic as the Carousel of Progress.

Maybe, just maybe, the overwhelming poplularity of the COP at the NY World's Fair in 1964/65 had to do with the Cuban missle crisis and the feared BOMB of that time period.

It will be a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow......very soon as it was in the 60's. Keep the COP open forever!

Thank you

Tom Ortalano
owner of www.carouselofprogress.com

Brier Rose
08-15-2002, 11:29 AM
Tom,
My son who is 3 years old knows every word to Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow! I wish Disney would realize that while COP is one of the older,(but best) attractions,MK just is not complete without it.

anniet
08-15-2002, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the update Tom. I had heard nasty rumors that it had closed for good and I didn't have the heart to tell DBF who went and saw it at the Worlds Fair with his Dad in 65. It's one of the highlights of the MK for him, and me!

Thanks again!

Gytchy
08-15-2002, 12:39 PM
COP was open last week (Aug 7 - 14).

I think they are doing limited hours, but it was open.

Sean23
08-15-2002, 12:48 PM
COP was open Sunday the 11th from 10 am - 6 pm.

tomko
08-15-2002, 01:34 PM
I am so surprised to see the COP open after I was told that it will be closed until further notice as per Tom Hobbs at the Magic Kingdom.....

Well, maybe the demand and or attendance is high enough to do so.

I really wish they would post the hours or some kind of schedule on their sight so the public is informed.

Thanks for the input and keep your EARS open.

Maybe it is best to email the Customer relation area and ask them to post their COP hours and days it will be open.

Here is the link to do so. I already have but did not get a response. The more the merrier I say!!!

http://studio.go.com/cgi-bin/gmail/generic_mail.cgi?template=disneyworld/form.tpl

PennConn
08-15-2002, 01:59 PM
Don't forget that It's A Small World in Fantasyland was also part of the 1964 New York World's Fair, if it's any consolation ........

PennConn
08-15-2002, 02:00 PM
**** BUMP ****

A1A1
08-15-2002, 11:40 PM
Went on COP second week of August, and loved as much as I did as a kid.

4crusinransiers
08-16-2002, 09:53 AM
Everyone please go to the website and sign the petion!:earseek:
www.carouselofprogress.com

StaceyA
08-16-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 4crusinransiers
Everyone please go to the website and sign the petion!:earseek:

I just signed the petition and I emailed them about not closing the ride and what times they will have it open when I go to WDW in December!

Jackie H.
08-16-2002, 12:42 PM
I hope it is open. We are headed down in 2 weeks. It will be my kid's fourth trip and they haven't seen CoP or Timekeeper yet! I haven't seen Timekeeper either.

The first time we took the kids they were 4 & 1-1/2. It was a slow easy going trip and we just did what we could - had a wonderful trip. But we never got to the CoP or Timekeeper. Every trip since then we've wanted to go, but they haven't been operating. We always go in "off season".

I guess this may not be the place to post this, but I am beginning to think park tickets should be discounted in off season. Less and less hours and less and less attractions......

TDC Nala
08-16-2002, 09:11 PM
Several sources have now reported that it will be open until August 17 (that's tomorrow)!

It may be open only in busy seasons. I'd bet it opens againn around Thanksgiving.

PennConn
08-17-2002, 07:17 AM
I just wish Horizons in Epcot FW was still there .... it featured the same family as in COP, but only in the future ....

Mackey Mouse
08-17-2002, 07:32 AM
I will be there in December.. I hope it is open when I am there, always a favorite of ours and I have not been able to see it the last few times we have been at WDW...

tomko
08-17-2002, 08:59 AM
Your names and email addresses have been logged successfully from signing the petition.

Our purpose is to collect support for the COP and try to prevent or delay the permanent closure of this Great Classic Disney Attraction.

We do not forward your additional comments to the Disney Company on a regular basis in fear they might have a fit when they see these comments coming from one source!

Although, to relay your comments about the COP on a more immediate basis and possibly effective method, please click the link below to express your opinions directly to WDW Guest Relations.

http://studio.go.com/cgi-bin/gmail/generic_mail.cgi?template=disneyworld/form.tpl

More importantly, make sure to revisit the COP AGAIN AND AGAIN when at WDW. :smooth:

You must check with Guest Relations for the COP's hours of operation since they have been so erratic. I don't believe the hours are posted on their website. I asked if they would post the hours, but got no response. Same goes for Timekeeper!

Thanks Everyone!

Tom

charlie,nj
08-17-2002, 09:29 AM
We went on COP last week.

My two sons loved it.

Safari Steve
08-17-2002, 02:05 PM
It's been open most of the summer, but today is the last day officially until the Holidays. Same with Timekeeper. I really like Timekeeper, but on an average day this summer only about 600 people visited (as opposed to about 1500 per hour who visit the Swiss Family Treehouse on an average day)... They'll probably both return around December.

kaabost
08-17-2002, 02:22 PM
pardon my ignorance, but what is the main reason that they are closing carosel of progress. Is the attendance that low that they don't want to spend money to run it? I wonder how much money they save by not running it.

tomko
08-17-2002, 03:03 PM
Safari Steve,

What is the average attandance for the COP during the summer?

Timekeeper is 600? COP is ??

Just wondered.

Thanks

To answer Kaabost:

The temporary closures are based on attendance in the park and / or the actual attendance for the COP according to a spokesperson at WDW.

Discussed permanent closure however, I believe, is just simply due to declining attendance over the many many years it has been in operation. At Disneyland, I feel it was inevitable to close the COP since there is no Epcot. And I believe it's doing fine.

Time for something new?? Not enough BABY BOOMERS out there to support the interest maybe. AND most important, there is no corporate sponser anymore! I always wondered what the cost and maintainance figures are for the COP??? LET"S START A FUND!

To the young crowd, it's a "ho hum" attraction. The educational theme does not seem to interest the younger crowd. Back at the NYWF, the younger people were impressed with the technology of the COP...ahead of it's time!

UTTT OHHHH....I'm giving away my age!!!

OK now you know!....I do have a question for those of THAT AGE GROUP that have attended the NY World's Fair and saw the COP of that time.

For me, it was the impressionable years of age 11-12.

Since GE has been the sponser of the COP at the NYWF and for many years after, has anyone (truthfully) purchased GE home products (washers, dryers, fridge...etc) due to being so impressed with the COP? or am I the only easy sell fool out there?

I can say I definitely have!

NO ...I do not work for GE! But, I was just impressed enough with the COP at the Fair, that I wanted to be a part of that "great big beautiful tomorrow".....years later in my life. So, my first GE purchase was a dishwasher, then washer etc.

Good call GE! Make the same impression on today's younger crowd.

Thanks

Tom

kaabost
08-18-2002, 12:26 AM
That makes me so sad that the attendance isn't so hot. I can understand that most teenagers wouldn't appreciate the value of the attraction as much but it seems that everyone above this age group would like it. I was under the impression that most people in my age group even (mid 20's), have an appreciation for our past and how our technology came to be. Perhaps I was wrong. Yes, I must agree with the previous poster, RIDE IT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.........or...........maybe we could start a fund....haha. "Sponsored by the DIS" would look pretty neat under the "Carosel of Progress" sign hahahaha.

anniet
08-18-2002, 05:31 AM
Tom DBF and I love this attraction. But the one complaint we have always had is that the last segment never really seemed to be that awesome to us. I mean the technology in it isn't all that awe inspiring, even though I still don't talk to my stove. But we have found this problem in EPCOT as well. Since Walt's been gone, Disney seems far better at capturing the past, than the future, which just emphasizes (for me at least) how truly ahead of his time this man was.

Perhaps refurbishing the last segment might be in order, but in no way would I ever think the COP should close permanently. As I said before, it's part of American History! And every one should see it, and every parent should take their children to see it!

Safari Steve
08-18-2002, 05:36 PM
I don't have any of CoP's numbers for this summer, but I do know that before they went to seasonal operation their average hourly take was less than 20% of capacity.

Sean23
08-19-2002, 09:25 AM
I have been to Timekeeper 7 times this summer and the theater was at least 2/3 full, but I only go during the weekends.

dBugged
08-19-2002, 03:38 PM
I hope it's open when we go! We saw it last year (missed it the year before) and we loved it -- we also managed to see Time Keeper that was open on and off! We would love to see it again this year. Hopefully it will be open the first week in September in two weeks! :)

kityrussell
08-20-2002, 04:47 PM
I heard it did close Aug. 17. And we went Aug. 18th and sure enough...closed! We were very bummed to say the least. It hasn't been open for us since we went in April of 97, guess our timing is way off! We were really looking forward to seeing it this time because we thought it would be open.

jwill
08-20-2002, 06:26 PM
:bounce: I made it a point to ride C.o.p. while I was there from 7/7-7/14 especially because it may not be be open the next time you visit.

Tulip
08-21-2002, 08:16 AM
I guess we really lucked out during our trip the week before Thanksgiving 2000. Both CoP and Timekeeper were open. I didn't know it was a problem or we would have ridden CoP more then once.

Tara8595
08-21-2002, 09:28 AM
They should dismantle it and move it to Epcot. Change the signage and call it "Carousel of Progress - An Early Look at The Future" or some such subtitle. Put it in Futureworld.

Epcot is more for adults anyhow. I bet lots of adults visit WDW and never go to the Magic Kingdom, but I also bet a lot of conventioners and conferencers *do* head over to Epcot. Seems like a better place for it anyhow, since Tomorrowland is more geared for older kids who wouldn't be interested.

Timekeeper can be replaced as far as I'm concerned. I get tired of those 360 movies at Disney anyhow. I'd rather be in a place where I can sit and rest my feet. Maybe I'd like it better if they installed swivel chairs. I think I'd like *all* the 360 movies better if they installed swivel chairs. :-)

Tara

jwill
08-21-2002, 11:57 AM
:bounce: I agree with Tara 100% about Timekeeper. There is just something about standing in line to get into the attraction then having to stand during the performance. The swivel seats would be a great idea.

Tulip
08-21-2002, 01:12 PM
You can put me on the list as another vote for swivel seating in all the 360 degree theatres.

tomko
08-21-2002, 08:39 PM
;)

I do agree with the suggestion of moving the COP to Epcot.

Tara8595 is correct that there are many adults attending the Epcot and never get to the MK.

Disney should update the last scene of the COP to an ultra, advanced, futuristic, things to happen, type venture for the home. And move the COP to Epcot, where it would fit in better than in the MK.

I think Horizons portrayed the future home more so. Now it's gone!

I bet the attendance would not be a problem for the COP if this happened.

Tomorrowland turned into a ???? compared to the earlier years.
Does it really represent the future as it was meant to be? For the younger crowd anyway!

Epcot took away the theme of tomorrowland. Epcot is more educational. That's where the COP should be.

Let's do it!!

WDWfan,uk
08-22-2002, 07:49 AM
..... another COP fan reporting in!

I would have loved to have seen COP take a prominent place in the 100 Years celebrations - I thought it might have been a good idea to revamp the last scene and have a big PR exercise publicising the attraction and it's significance, and the 100 year celebrations seemed the perfect opportunity.

I suppose spending money on an attraction that isn't pulling in the guests is a risky business but I wonder if it just needed "re-inventing".

I also think Timekeeper is a great attraction, but totally agree that swivel chairs would be a great help to weary legs and to those who feel a bit "seasick" with the 360 degree film.

I hate to see these types of attraction disappear as it narrows the breadth of attractions that Disney has to offer.

PennConn
08-22-2002, 08:41 AM
WDW should dismantle COP and move it to Future World in Epcot, and combine it with the old Horizons characters (since they are the same family as COP, but only in the future) ... The Horizons portion could replace the current future scene at COP (which doesn't seem to stay futuristic for very long!) Does this sound like a good plan?

tomko
08-22-2002, 05:33 PM
GEE, it would be nice to revamp the actual music of the COP to something similiar to the original FULL orchestra version like in '65!

Everytime I hear the original version of the 1965 script, I get chills up and down my spine! :earseek: That music was so moving and inspirational with a full orchestra behind it, compared to today's version.

The full orchestra version actually makes you want to sing along.

Something was missed when Disney transposed to the current version.

I actually had some younger folk listen to the two versions. In all cases, ( about 10 people) the old full orchestra version was the best.

I think the music makes the show in this case!

:earseek:

Safari Steve
08-22-2002, 08:46 PM
If you're going to go to the trouble of dismantling a giant turntable/theater, why not do it right? Were I in charge of such a project, I would change the final scene back to the '60s, keeping the original chronology, and then add an additional scene, a montage of technological advancements since the sixties (PCs, jets, etc) and have guests exit into a walk-through area similar to 'The House of Innoventions'. Of course, this might flow better if the actual carousel part was forgone in favor of a more linear/eliptical sideways-moving ride system... Hey, look ma! I'm an Imagineer!!!

(by the way, the above idea already belongs to the Walt Disney Co... It was theirs before I thought of it according to the papers I vaguely remember signing...)

kaabost
08-22-2002, 11:10 PM
So many good ideas, the imagineers should refer to us for ideas. I, too, agree with Tara. Seeing the Timekeeper close doesn't bother me like seeing COP close. I think that Timekeeper would BENEFIT from having benches or swivel chairs, but it would still just be somewhere that people went to sit down in the A/C. If the timekeeper was the only 360 movie attraction that Disney had, I would probably appreciate it a little more but currently, I think this attraction is somewhat of a waste of good space.

tomko
08-23-2002, 04:42 PM
:p

OH and AHHH!

Seems like Disney should have kept the original COP building design from 1964 with a walkthrough to the upper middle dome of the building and down thru Medallion City.

That would have worked perfectly for Innoventions + many other things today!

tomko
08-23-2002, 04:48 PM
With the original COP building design in mind.....you could easily add Timekeeper to the center dome area.

This way they have to close two attractions at the same time seasonally.....think of the money saved......just kidding!

tomko
08-25-2002, 11:53 AM
:confused:

HI....to all Baby Boomers out there that attended the NY World's Fair in 1964/65!!!!

Mr. Bill Young of www.nywf64.com is developing a feature for the GE Carousel of Progress on his site in the near future.

If there is anyone out there that can forward to me, any archival information like movies or photos or whatever, of the original COP back then, please help us.

You will receive name credits on the feature for anything we can use to help put this together.

But don't stop there......I am sure Mr. Young will appreciate any archives you have for any part of the NY World's Fair.

The site has become quite popular.

Thanks everyone!

Tom

tomko
09-18-2002, 11:24 AM
:bounce:

I like to bring to everyone's attention the new and the most updated version of the "Tribute to Disney's Carousel of Progress" video found on site www.carouselofprogress.com

This one is sure to give you the goose-bumps if you're a COP lover.

Thanks to the many people that helped retrieve the archive information like General Electric Historical Museum and of course Disney.

High speed access is the best but not necessary.

So crank up your speakers and sing along!!!!!

Also featured is part of the "Now is the TIme" version of 1985.

There is also a video about Disney's making of the COP on the site.

ENJOY !

Thanks

Tom

Comments appreciated.

tomko
09-20-2002, 10:36 AM
:p

seashoreCM
09-20-2002, 12:11 PM
When the Carousel of Progress first opened, and also described in the video that plays outside it, it was billed as having six stages. As only four are in use, that suggests adding scenes later.

One problem is that the entire show might get too long. A way of alleviating that would be to eliminate the carousel concept but add more scenes and arrange them in rooms in a straight line and then people could walk into and out of them and come back to see the last few scenes later.

Another COP idea:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

tomko
09-20-2002, 12:55 PM
I do agree there should be an interim stage for the 60's era, but you still need the entrance stage (people being seated) and the exit stage (people leaving)

With good traffic control, there would be an extra stage if the exiting crowd goes to the left and the entering crowd comes in on the right at the same stage area.

I always did think it was a waste of space to have two stage areas, one for exit and one for enter enter. + the 4 shows = 6 stages.

It was good to do this in the 60's with 1 1/2 hour wait lines.

Un.. believable. Wait in lines longer than any other Disney attraction at the park!

tomko
11-27-2002, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know if the COP is open this week anytime??

I heard it was but wanted to verify!!

Tulip
11-27-2002, 03:40 PM
If it is open everyone should ride it as many times as possible so they know it's a loved ride!

Ron from Michigan
11-28-2002, 09:05 AM
We always ride COP lots and lots of times on each visit. We know all the scenes by heart. It is one of our favorite shows in all the parks. We will be going again Dec 11-21 so we sure do hope it is going to be open.

anut4disney
11-28-2002, 10:40 AM
We will also be there the first week of Dec and hope it is open. We love this show and always come out humming the song. :teeth:

BigTigger
11-28-2002, 12:33 PM
I missed seeing the COP during our October visit, but loved the website devoted to everything COP. I hope it's open for our August 2003 visit.

One thing I noted (unless my BB memory is going) is that the MK COP attraction moves counterclockwise vs. the clockwise movements on the 1964 WF and 1967 DL versions. Anyone else notice this?

TheLorax2000
11-30-2002, 07:37 AM
I've never been in COP but it will be a must do on this trip providing it's still open when I get there.

tomko
12-25-2002, 12:59 PM
Most Recent Comments

I grew up in Los Angeles and remember vividly when the Carousel moved from Disneyland to Florida, I was crushed. When visiting Florida for the first time 10 years ago, I cried through most of the showing of The Carousel Of Progress, yet was comforted knowing it was intact and ready to experience when I again traveled back to Orlando, which I have done 4 more times. I sincerely hope and pray that the one and only, genuine, and completely original Walt Disney's Carousel Of Progress will still be turning when I visit this year. I thank you very much for your efforts. Michael

SAVE THE COP...Why not close a "Small World" and Cinderella's Castle while you're at it? Seems to be the "New Disney" trend these days. UNFORGIVABLE! Sally R

I just hate to see the company take away any of the original parts that Walt touched. I know the argument is that he loved change and progress but we have to save as many of his original ideas as possible.

I don't think Disney realizes how popular the attraction is. I know I would not make family plans to go to WDW unless the COP was in operation. Why don't they find a sponsor. That seems to be the real problem here. If they had the sponsor, the attraction would always be open without a doubt. Notice the only two attractions closed seasonally are the COP and Timekeeper...both sponsorless!!! COME ON DISNEY...you can do better! Matt

It seems that what started out as a fresh novel idea by a small group of creative people has become an evil empire bent on destroying any vestige of it's original creators. Please stop this madness before everyone gets tired of the cold soulnessness of the "New Disney" and stops going altogether.

I love this attraction and would hate to see it gone. As a lon-time Disney park-goer and fan, I really appreciate the nostalga value of it. Disney should realize by now that a tremendous amount of memories have been accrued over the years by thousands of people who experienced this attraction and others of an earlier time. Two others I would bring back are If you had wings and Voyage Through Inner Space (Disney Land).
Sincerely,
Suzi

I look forward to riding this every year, but its no longer open when I go....I try not to go in the peak seasons, so I can enjoy the World and all its glory. Please keep it open, its my favorite ride.

This is one of the last vestiges of the true Walt vision. We love this ride, and will be down at Disney on 11/27-30/02 and 12/17-20/02. We would love to see this show again!!! Save the COP!!

The Carousel of Progress in one of the few things in WDW that is truly "WALT DISNEY". For the WDW Co. to remove the ride would be a travesty to the creator himself. To me the removal of COP would send a message to the visitors that Walt is nothing more than a name they use not an inventor or and inspiration to the youth of the world that no matter how many times you fail that you must keep trying. If Walt had given up there would be no WDW and nothing for the current money hungry power people to make this $ off of. Ok, so its my rant but its also my opinion.

Save cop. Please don't shut it down or destroy it like Horizons.

Thank you

Looking at the COP video brought back incredible memories. I saw the COP at the NY worlds fair and I thought it was the best attraction. Then when I heard they had moved it to WDW I was thrilled. We would go up to WDW 4 or 5 times a year just to see the COP !! The last time we went on the ride it broke down twice. I could not believe how WDW had let this wonderful attraction deteriorate. It makes me sick what they have done. Thank you so much for bringing the COP attraction to the internet. Every weekend I watch it and the songs actually give me goose bumps. What great memories, thanks again. Mark

This ride is a glance back into our history as a country that pursued the advancement to technology. Kids today need to be reminded of how people lived prior to cell phones, computers and remote controls. Might make them better appreciate the things they have now. COP is my all-time favorite ride. I can still remember the first time I was at WDW and wanted to ride it again & again. Please, do not close this exhibit. It is the last thing remaining of Walt Disney. With the closure of Horizons (another original concept by Walt) and World of Motion at Epcot, Walt's legacy on technology and dreaming of new things yet to come are quickly going away. Keep Walt alive through the COP ride. It is great for all - young & old!!!

I love this ride. It's a classic which Disney is seeming to forget about. All the classics are slowly but surely leaving, hopefully this one will stay to entertain generations to come.

We have been to wdw many times & cop was always on the top of the list. We just got back & two years in a row now it was closed. We pay top money to go to wdw & expect everything we pay for. We were there 12/9-12/16 & it was CROWED so it should have been open. They keep telling us Dec. is a good time to go, then close some of attractions. C.O.P is Walt Disney. Leave it alone.

I first saw the COP about a dozen years ago with its "Now is the Time" theme before returning to its original "Great Big Beautiful tomorrow" theme. I guess a lot of it does have to do with nostalgia but it also has a character to it that links generations of families together. It really is a signature attraction of WDW, at least the legacy that once was. I don't know if its a question of maintenance cost or whatever, all I know is that every "new and improved" attraction that comes along fizzles out just as fast as it comes, "EPCOT, Journey into Imagination" take note. All I know is that The COP is an attraction that I always look forward to seeing and I'm sadly disappointed not getting the opportunity to see it because of who knows why. Please, don't screw up again.

Bob

we raised our girls at Disney world and the first attraction we always rushed to was the COP..Please do not let this great attraction go !!

I am a New York World's Fair enthusiast and it was that fair that has so much influence on my career today. The carousel of progress is a significant part of what influenced my interest in automated show in themed entertainment.
There should be a few things that are kept as your pride and joy and a link to one's past. COP is one such example.

I would actually consider going all the way to Florida just to see the Carousel of Progress and the Country Bear Jamboree, both are now gone from Disneyland.

Our family visits WDW at least once each year. The COP is ALWAYS an attraction on our MUST SEE list. During a recent visit, the COP was not operating and we were disappointed to learn this original attraction created by Walt himself may be closing forever! Rather than contemplating the replacement of a Disney original, we believe Walt's imagineers should be building an extension into the 21st century. This way future generations can continue to enjoy an attraction Walt himself created to help us understand as he did the importance of where we've been so we can envision where we're headed. The COP blends two of Walt's main themes in a relaxing and upbeat presentation that demonstrates how family and progress can successfully glide into the future together. When progress begins to encroach upon the very essence of that which it claims to stand for, it's obviously time for WDW to reevaluate exactly what it is that they do stand for. It is our sincere hope that Walter E. Disney's original values still drive the business and the COP has as many great big beautiful tomorrows as the world it exists in. Very truly yours, The Wood Family

This is a piece of American history that needs to be saved for future generations. I want my grandchildren to enjoy the Carousel of Progress!

tomko
02-11-2003, 06:54 AM
:bounce:

tomko
02-18-2003, 03:07 PM
I hear the COP was open on Feb 13th and most of last week..:bounce:

On your next trip to WDW.....

Let us know if the COP is open or closed.

I would like to keep track of it.

Maybe, just maybe, they are taking the feedbacks from www.carouselofprogress.com to heart!

They should with over 104,000 hits in 6 months!

Thanks everyone for the support!

Tom

tomko
04-05-2003, 01:25 PM
DVD version available soon!

aed
05-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Just stumbled upon your web site and must say that I am impressed with your dedication to this classic Disney attraction.

Back in the late 70’s-early 80’s I was an operator and attraction lead in Tomorowland at WDW. One of my many assignments was GE/Eastern (smaller attractions were combined under one lead). Even though 20 years have passed, I still vividly remember the show.

Of course, there were the endless hours you could be “frozen” in the “inside” rotation and hear the show again and again. Or that awful feeling you had when you forgot to put your showcar into ready mode after the spiel, or even the “morse code” you learned to tap out on the green operator seated lights to break the boredom and communicate with your fellow operators in adjacent showcars (former cast members know what I’m talking about). But I was young and made great friends at Disney, and out of the many attractions I worked on at my time at WDW, I always enjoyed GE/Eastern.

It has been years since I’ve visited the park, but I am sure that if I did, the attractions that remain from the 70’s (and there are apparently fewer and fewer of them) would take me back to my young adulthood… kind of like a reunion. Thanks for working to preserve that.

pintrader
05-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Was at Magic Kingdom today. COP was not opened.

:(

TrendyMagic
05-30-2003, 11:37 PM
The Memorial Day weekend it was not open. :-( It was a busy weekend too.

-jason

tomko
05-31-2003, 07:40 AM
I am keeping somewhat of a close record on this. I do appreciate the follow ups.

Thanks

Tomko

cindala
05-31-2003, 08:10 AM
We have been luck enough to see COP each trip, but we go during the July 4th week. They usually open up COP and Timekeeper then. :)

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

TrendyMagic
05-31-2003, 11:17 AM
I will be back there June 16-19 and will let you know if I find it open then. Maybe one day I will see it again!

-jason

Planogirl
05-31-2003, 01:14 PM
I tried to send a message to WDW at go.com but all I got was an error page. Maybe they don't want to hear about it. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to ask when COP would be open again, explaining that we visited on a very busy day during Spring Break and it never opened during that time. I would like to see it again whatever happens.

starwood
05-31-2003, 02:05 PM
If anyone has an e-mail to find this out I would love to know also. We are going to be at WDW for 1 day 8/23 (after our cruise). DS is dying to see COP and Timekeeper again.

tomko
05-31-2003, 02:16 PM

TrendyMagic
05-31-2003, 06:27 PM
I wrote Disney after getting back this past week and this was the reply they give:

=-=-=-=-=

As you know, Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress in the Magic Kingdom is operated on a seasonal basis. When attendance is projected to be at a high level, the Carousel of Progress is brought into operation. We suggest that you stop by guest relations on the way into the Magic Kingdom at the time of your visit for a current schedule.

Thank you!

=-=-=-=-=

The WDW site also lists the same -seasonal operation- but never gives any dates.

-jason

Planogirl
05-31-2003, 07:57 PM
I did ask at Guest Relations and the CM there didn't know, at least not back in March. I was just told that the park had to be crowded. I pointed out to the CM that it was quite crowded and she just said "I know". I don't think that she knew quite what to say so I let her off the hook. ;) Maybe that's changed?

Tulip
06-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Last time I was there the parks were not crowded but COP was open and so was Timekeeper. :confused:

tomko
06-16-2003, 06:39 AM
:Pinkbounc

The COP is not only open 6/22, but open for almost the entire day, not the old 11 to 5 they pulled...I believe it will be 10 to 8 everyday.

THIS IS OFFICIAL!!!

I WOULD LIKE TO THINK THAT THE WWW.CAROUSELOFPROGRESS.COM SITE HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE EXTRA HOURS OF OPERATION!!!

Wishful thinking!!

Thanks

Tom

Disneyholic
06-16-2003, 07:57 AM
We'll be there July 7-18. Hope it's still open then. I really miss it. I'll post again when we get back to let you know if it was open or not.
Wish us luck. It may be hokey, but I love it. (like Small World):rolleyes:
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

TrendyMagic
06-20-2003, 02:53 PM
Well I was hoping they would open it a few days early but they didn't. Was there14-19 and the COP was not open yet. Hopefully it will still be open by my July trip.

-jason

darlene9947
08-05-2003, 01:22 PM
We were at the World at the end of July and the highlight of my trip was seeing CoP. I was so happy, I cried for most of the presentation! :D My kids all think I'm a dork anyway, but I just love this show!

Disneyholic
08-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Got to go on the Week of July 7. I was so happy it was open. I've missed it with it being closed the last two times down.
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

tomko
08-22-2003, 06:26 PM
The COP has closed and will reopen in Mid Oct and stay open through the Holiday season. :p

Thanks to all.

Apparently Disney is listening and reading all your posted comments about the COP

crazymomof4
08-22-2003, 08:56 PM
I hope 10/9 qualifies as "mid- October"!! That will be our last day in the parks. I have been hoping that the increased crowds due to the FTP will cause COP and Timekeeper to be opened when we are there. I will be watching for this from now until we leave and while we are down there.
I just spoke with my 14 yo DS and he doesn't remember much about our last WDW trip (he was 5 yo) BUT he remembers COP vividly!!! What does that tell you?
A poster on one of the first pages of this thread asked something like, "how much money does it really save to have COP closed for a day?" My answer: Probably less than M. Eisner spends on a dinner out that day!:mad:

tomko
08-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Forgot to mention to go to www.carouselofprogress.com and sign the petition.

Thanks

dahirsh
08-22-2003, 09:15 PM
OK, before I start jumping up and down in excitement (and really tick off my sister, cause I might get to see COP and she won't) how reliable is this info about reopening mid-October?

Deb

tomko
08-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Information about the COP opening is obtained from a reliable employee in the management area.

Plan is Alien being refurbished during the same mid Oct period for about 3 months.

Alternative is to keep the COP running during this time period.

I would say about 90% chance this will happen.

crazymomof4
08-23-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by tomko
Forgot to mention to go to www.carouselofprogress.com and sign the petition.

Thanks

Did that, and also signed another one about 2 weeks ago on some other, similar, website. :)

Ron from Michigan
08-23-2003, 05:13 PM
I sure do hope COP is open the first week in December. The last two years we were not able to see this truly great american show. Why they feel they only need it open at certain times is beyond me. Why not move it EPCOT and refurbish it ? We have always loved seeing COP whenever we could. There has been several times where we watched the show several times back to back.

FFerret
08-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Ok, stupid question time!

So it's closed now and won't be open til mid October?

disneybooger
08-30-2003, 04:12 AM
Has anybody considered this? Since there are now many rumors circulating about the coming closure of Innoventions at Disneyland and the many rumors about COP's closure circulating for some time, could it be possible that Disney is planning a move back to Disneyland? It could be a special treat for Disneyland's 50th anniversary. Share your thoughts.

StaceyA
08-30-2003, 08:25 AM
I thought I read somewhere that you can buy save the COP tee shirts...does anyone know about these??
Thanks!

Mickeyfer
10-28-2003, 06:55 AM
The Carousel of Progress has been open the last two times I've been this month!!! They've even had a big sign out that says "Carousel of Progress is OPEN!!" in front of it. I'm so excited!!!

tomko
10-28-2003, 07:00 AM
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :hyper: :yo-yo:

You have no idea how exciting this is to me.

More hours, more days, on a regular schedule (at least until the alien is refurbished)

WOW

HEY DISNEY.......THE CLASSICS PREVAIL!

Ron from Michigan
10-28-2003, 08:11 AM
Glad to hear this, since it has been closed the last 4 times we were at WDW. Can't wait to see the show again next month.

Nicoal13
10-31-2003, 12:46 PM
I'm so glad it will be open! I'm going to be there Nov 8-15th:bounce:

pampam
11-04-2003, 06:11 AM
I believe the reason why it is closed so much is because it is an older attraction and they don't have the parts to repair it if it should break.
I still remember the original song by Richard and Robert Sherman, who wrote so many of the disney songs.
Now is the time
Now is the best time
Now is the best time of your life
Life is a prize, live every minute
Open your eyes and watch how you win it
Yesterdays memories may sparkle and gleam
Tomorrow is still but a dream
Right here and now you've got it made
The world's forward marching and you're in the parade
Now is the time
Now is the best time
Be it a time of joy or strife
There's so much to cheer for
Be glad you're here for it's the best time of your life.

tomko
02-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Since an attraction or two has been closed in Tomorrowland due to construction, the COP has remained open full time.

How wonderful!

Thanks

Mickeyfer
03-04-2004, 05:03 PM
I went to the Magic Kingdom and the Carousel of Progress was still open at 10:00, even though that was the time the park was supposed to be closing!! I wasn't even the only on on the ride, there were about 6 or 7 other people riding!! I never thought they'd leave it open so late ever again!! I'm so glad they finally decided to open it!!::MickeyMo

tomko
07-03-2004, 01:58 PM
COP attendance is up dramatically since it's been open full time.

Hope it stays that way!

Thanks for the support.

:o

KlarkKent007
07-04-2004, 01:07 AM
I guess they may have to bring back Horizns &
World of Motion! Wouldn't that be nice!

Tinkerbell04
07-04-2004, 08:29 AM
I LOVED Horizons.....thanks for reminding me!

Mickeyfer
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Aww nobody reads the message boards anymore :sad2: but i have exciting news! well...for me at least lol :earsboy: I am now a tomorrowland cast member! and i get to work the carousel of progress! :rotfl: hehe i am such a dork :earboy2: come on everyone...start posting again!! :banana:

luv2tvl
06-02-2005, 02:45 PM
YEAH Mickefer!! :earsboy: That is awsome! Man, that will be fun. Enjoy!!

darlene9947
06-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Congratulations!!
I just rode COP on Tuesday the 24th!!! I was not expecting it to be open so what a treat it was to be able to experience it again. I hope it's still up for my next trip in 2007. :cheer2: :cheer2:

sccuddlers
06-02-2005, 03:02 PM
So does that mean COP will be open when we are there the 10th and 11th? I love the COP!

darlene9947
06-02-2005, 03:05 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't! Have a safe trip and enjoy yourselves!! :flower:

Tulip
06-02-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm so glad to hear it's still open for business. :earsgirl:

Ness2289
06-02-2005, 03:22 PM
:Pinkbounc Yea! I'm glad to hear this! It's been eight years since I rode CoP last! I'm glad DD will get the chance to ride this time!

DISUNC
06-03-2005, 03:42 AM
I NEEEEEEEEED COP!!!!!!
Whenever either myself or my best friend go to WDW and go on this attraction ...we use our cell phones and call the other one up to "hear" the experience! Sappy but true!
WDW without COP is like Mickey without WHITE GLOVES!!!!
:wizard:

luv2nascar
06-03-2005, 03:46 AM
my DH and I love this attraction. It is a can't miss for us.
It will be first time for both DD's on COP. Can't wait.

Tishke
06-03-2005, 06:59 AM
Glad to hear that it is still open!! Our family loves to do this ride together. We rode it three times last year, and in spite of being stuck in the second scene for 30 minutes, look forward to doing it again this year.

PS: Cool news, Mickeyfer! If you see a family with a rowdy 6 year old boy headed your way in 22 days, that'd be us!! :rotfl:

dmand13
06-03-2005, 07:04 AM
I love COP. It was always one of my favorite rides. Mickeyfer, I'm so jealous!

Yardbird
06-03-2005, 07:06 AM
I too love COP! The music is my favorite of all Disney tunes. :goodvibes

bobbiwoz
06-03-2005, 08:03 AM
We enjoy it too!

Bobbi :flower:

Mickeyfer
06-10-2005, 09:53 AM
I love CoP :lovestruc just thought you all should know! :cloud9:

Oh yea, and if anyone here is a Timekeeper fan, that attraction will be open for the summer beginning Sunday :flower:

indigoxtreme
06-10-2005, 10:06 AM
:Pinkbounc Thanks MickeyFer, Hope to see you the first week in september, I hope this ride is saved, I cannot wait to see it again. It will be my dgd 1st time there.

SuzEm
06-10-2005, 01:26 PM
My daughter and I just got to experience CoP for the first time on our recent trip - it had always been closed before. She fell in love with it and I lost count of how many times we rode it! Now I have that song stuck in my head and she knows all the words and can sing it verbatim! Sorry we missed out on Timekeeper. Will Timekeeper be open in December? We'll be back the week before Christmas.

wendy1974
06-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Even if it doesn't look like it is open walk over there anyway. We walked toward it and I did not see a cm at first but as we got right up on COP I saw a CM standing by the door and a couple of people walked through the turnstile so we did too and what do ya know, it was open! This was the week of May22-27. Everyone needs to make a point of checking to see if it is open. If we increase the number of people every day that go to COP maybe that will help keep it open longer :teeth:

MiraDawl
06-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Anyone have any knowledge about this still being open in Sept? I'd love to ride this classic!!

Mickeyfer
06-14-2005, 08:03 AM
I think CoP should be open in Sept...I haven't heard anything about it closing. It's no longer a seasonal attraction, it's open full time now :goodvibes That was my first question when I started lol

calena
06-14-2005, 09:20 AM
We went on Carousel of Progress this year and the kids really liked it. We all did. My son was singing the song the other day. It is also a great learning opportunity.

tomko
08-02-2005, 04:20 PM
:hourglass

Sad news!

Officially, but still unofficially, the COP will be closed permanently in Sept 2005 I am told.
This information comes from those involved with the restructuring of attractions in the parks. Cannot reveal the source but it is most valid.

To further invistigate this matter, I contacted the Orlando Sentinel today. They did assure me they will investigate. Apparently Disney is keeping this very quiet. I like to know why. We all would like to know why????

How Disney can close a popular classic attraction like this is above my common sense knowledge!

If anyone hears different, please let me know and post the info publically or privately.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Tom

LadyDulcinea1
08-02-2005, 04:24 PM
:goodvibes REALLY hoping COP is still open when we go, DM has been so upset since she heard this was closing, especially considering we missed it on our last trip....it being open would be a nice surprise for her!! :bounce:

crazymomof4
08-02-2005, 07:38 PM
:hourglass

Sad news!

Officially, but still unofficially, the COP will be closed permanently in Sept 2005 I am told.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: NOOOOOOOOO!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

:confused3 :confused3 :sad2: :sad2: :confused3 :confused3

kpm76
08-02-2005, 08:14 PM
OH NO!!!! COP is my favorite attraction....I so hope it's still open when we go in Sept.....

Friendly Frog
08-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Point me to a save the Carousel sign up sheet, I love that attraction. :flower:

DVCconvert
08-02-2005, 08:43 PM
TOMKO:

I am happy to report that there is no planned closing of COP!*

COP's external paint refrub has just been completed last week.

Seating replacement and new carpeting is nearly done,
along with exterior 'pre-show' monitor repairs.

The scrims for the first three scenes will be replaced within the next 3 weeks.

Discussions are currently that the skins on father Audio-Animatronics figures throughout maybe replaced within the next quarter.

While COP isn't totally out of danger--all in the know seem to now believe for the present time there is no plan to remove it or close it.

* There may be some closure of a limited nature for refrubishing

:):)

eclectics
08-02-2005, 09:39 PM
:mad: TOMKO:

Discussions are currently that the skins on father Audio-Animatronics figures throughout maybe replaced within the next quarter.

While COP isn't totally out of danger--all in the know seem to now believe for the present time there is no plan to remove it or close it.

I'd rather believe a "good" rumour than a "bad" one. I'll choose to believe this one!!!!!!! Living in a fools paradise isn't that bad.... And if any Disney "Suits" read this thread- DON'T mess with COP!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomko
08-03-2005, 09:23 AM
TOMKO:

I hope this is correct. My source has a direct connection with labor dealing with the attractions. He rather be anomoyous of course.
I rather believe the "NO CLOSURE" than the "DEMISE" of the COP.

I am currently being interviewed for a COP documentary by an outside video production company.

Along with the documentary being produced and what I hear through contacts at WDW, you can see why I would believe the end of the COP is near.

I hope the refurbishing is an improvement for the COP and not a preparation for a new future attraction.

How do you explain the new logo outrside sign in the front of the COP building?

Thanks
Tom :confused3

Joe Mouse
08-03-2005, 09:47 AM
First time seeing this thread. Last year was our first ever trip to WDW. We visited MK, Epcot, AK, and MGM. Did practically all the attractions, rides, shows, etc. If you ask my son who was 7 at the time what his favorite ride was, he would tell you it was the COP. I didn't realize how many fans there are of this attraction. It is definitely a good learning experience for young children that are not aware of how things were done years ago. Although I won't rank it up there as a top 5 attraction among the 4 major parks, I believe it carries value from an educational and entertainment standpoint and would vote to keep it alive.

Joe Mouse ::MickeyMo

Katems
08-03-2005, 09:50 AM
So should it be up and running anytime between August 24-31?? It's my favorite!!!

DVCconvert
08-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Katems
So should it be up and running anytime between August 24-31??

Yes it should be! :)

tomko
I've sent you a couple of Private messages :)

Friendly Frog
08-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Please, oh please, oh please don't let them kill CoP for a Toy Story attraction. I love Toy Story and all, but CoP is an icon. Didn't they learn anything with from the Alien/Stitch conversion? :grouphug:

DISUNC
08-03-2005, 10:12 PM
I just experinced the COP 4 days ago for my millionth(!) time...it looked freshly painted on the outside to me...and I think they put a new sign on the outside about 6 feet tall (i just dont remember that being there before & dated)....with the date "2005" on it.

It does need to be worked on a bit on the inside! It was packed with people went I went!

eclectics
08-03-2005, 11:03 PM
I just experinced the COP 4 days ago for my millionth(!) time...it looked freshly painted on the outside to me...and I think they put a new sign on the outside about 6 feet tall (i just dont remember that being there before & dated)....with the date "2005" on it.

It does need to be worked on a bit on the inside! It was packed with people went I went!

I wonder if anyone has a photo of the new sign? I'm very curious as to what it looks like.

DISUNC
08-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Sorry didnt take a photo of it! The sign is the logo of the wheel with the cogs with the title and in the upper left hand corner of it 2005! As I said I really dont know if its new...however I dont recall it being there before at all. It did look new!

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
08-04-2005, 03:42 AM
I hope it's not ever going to be closed "for good"!!! I can see maybe closing it during slower periods of the year. I know it was closed our first few trips (including my solo trips) but was open during our Thanksgiving/Dec trip... and was open our last June trip. But even Mid-June we walked on without a line and only one other family (about 6 other people) on with us at the time. :( I'm afraid if it's like that even in the summer that they will figure not enough people are going on it and might as well close it down. I hope not though! We love it.

Mickeyfer
08-04-2005, 08:51 PM
The big purple cog with the date isn't new, it's been there for a few years now...As for the new paint job, I haven't noticed, and I'm there pretty much everyday, though they did recently replace the pre-show monitors. Actually, I think they're still in the process of replacing the monitors, the audio still doesn't work and the ones directly over the console tend to act up a bit lol...anyways, I haven't heard anything about CoP closing, hope it isn't true...can't imagine that it would be closing next month, haven't heard anything, though I have heard that Timekeeper may be closing permanently, the sign outside the attraction is gone, though it's still listed in the park map...anyways, if I hear anything I'll let you all know :)

have2getaway
08-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Is this the 360 degree theater? What sort of Toy Story ride are the planning to open? I would love to see a TS ride, but I really don't want COP to close!

tomerin
08-04-2005, 09:44 PM
on our last trip this july3-13th every time i was in MK, i couldnt believe my eyes to see that COP actually had a line of people waiting to go in. there were many times as i was passing by that i also noticed many people leaving COP. it was great to see this happening. although i didnt get to go on COP this trip due to some rather uncharacteristic commando touring, it was a wonderful thing to see that still many people still love this attraction.

bishop1989
08-04-2005, 09:55 PM
My 8 yr old daughter loves the COP. If I could only get her more interested in HOP.

Mickeyfer
08-09-2005, 11:49 PM
So, I finally had the chance to work CoP today...And I can confirm that it has been repainted recently :) Hopefully they really are working on improving and updating it :sunny:

2nd childhood
08-10-2005, 12:01 AM
We've been to WDW 4 times and are planning our 5th trip this September 18-24. I must admit we've never done the COP. Now you've peaked my curiosity about this attraction. :scratchin What exactly is it and does anyone know if it'll be running during our trip? I would like to see it at least once just in case the closing rumor is true.
Thanks

minnie61650
08-10-2005, 12:29 AM
We've been to WDW 4 times and are planning our 5th trip this September 18-24. I must admit we've never done the COP. Now you've peaked my curiosity about this attraction. :scratchin What exactly is it and does anyone know if it'll be running during our trip? I would like to see it at least once just in case the closing rumor is true.
Thanks
The Carousel of Progress was first introduced at the World's Fair in New York in 1965.
It is located in the MK by Buzz Lightyear and is only open "seasonally".
Here's a great website about it, http://www.carouselofprogress.com/main.htm
It really is a shame that it is not open more as it was one of Walt's favorites
and was one of his last projects before his passing.
Linda ::MinnieMo

2nd childhood
08-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Thanks minnie61650 I checked out your link. It looks interesting. We'll definitely stop by if it's open during our trip. My DH will enjoy most of all.
Thanks again

cjb71870
08-10-2005, 02:03 AM
minnie61650 is right. It is Seasonal. I don't thimk they will ever get rid of it. They shouldn't!! It's one of Walt's favorite!

beccasmom
08-10-2005, 07:39 AM
We sure love Carousel of Progress! It was open while we were there in late June, but was experiencing technical issues, so we had to leave. We never miss visiting it if it is open!

Mickeyfer
08-10-2005, 11:33 PM
I see a few people posting that CoP is still seasonal...It's not, it's open year round now, so it should be open whenever you visit, anytime of day from park open to park close :earsboy: So make sure you stop by and see the show next time you visit the Magic Kingdom!!

crazymomof4
08-12-2005, 08:12 PM
I see a few people posting that CoP is still seasonal...It's not, it's open year round now, so it should be open whenever you visit, anytime of day from park open to park close :earsboy: So make sure you stop by and see the show next time you visit the Magic Kingdom!!

Oh I hope you are correct! We have not seen COP since 1994. It was always one of my favorites and seeing it again this Sept. would be like seeing it for the first time again........like a re-birth!

eclectics
08-12-2005, 08:37 PM
I just checked WDW website and COP is no longer listed as a "Seasonal" so I guess Mickeyfer is correct. This is great news! :cool1: I was getting a bit worried. Also no mention of a September POC rehab pirate: so that rumour is false.

crazymomof4
08-13-2005, 08:14 PM
I just checked WDW website and COP is no longer listed as a "Seasonal"

Yes, I noticed that too.

Wow! I'm so excited! COP being open would more than make up for the "Crush the Turtle" in the Living Seas being closed while we're there.

crazymomof4
09-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Well, it's Sept. now.

Is COP still open even though the "value season" and lower attendance has begun?

Anyone? :confused3

JRawkSteady
09-01-2005, 01:23 PM
CoP IS open right now. It is listed as "seasonal" still in the corporate portal, but it seems to be operating year round

donac
09-01-2005, 01:49 PM
We were in the world from Aug 21 to 28th. The first couple of days we were not in the MK so I don't know if it was open then. On Friday night I rode TT and noticed that it was open. On Sat the 27th were noticed that it was open again and we got to see it. My 15 year had never seen it so he went with us. The park was pretty quiet last Saturday so I think the seasonal is off. We hadn't seen in a while so it was fun to see it again.

crazymomof4
09-01-2005, 02:04 PM
CoP IS open right now. It is listed as "seasonal" still in the corporate portal, but it seems to be operating year round

Good news! I hope things stay the same! I'd love for my kids to see it.

crazyj4488
09-01-2005, 04:31 PM
I was so happy to experience the COP more than four times during my two trips to WDW back in May. Before then, I had not seen COP since the late 80's. It was always closed when I was there in the 90's.

I, too, noticed it has been taken off the seasonal list if you goto the WDW website. This is great news! I love the attraction.

homedad
09-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Hope that COP is open when were there in 3 weeks, not sure if I should take my DS4 on it, do u think that "now is the Time" song will ever come back???That was the song I heard it with and that how I remember it best!

MAH4546
09-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Hope that COP is open when were there in 3 weeks, not sure if I should take my DS4 on it, do u think that "now is the Time" song will ever come back???That was the song I heard it with and that how I remember it best!

It will be open. CoP is once again open year-round. While not a popular attraction, it remains as a tribute to Walt Disney himself. Despite all the rumours you may hear, this is one attraction that I don't think will be going anywhere anytime soon.

Princess Mindy
09-01-2005, 11:07 PM
I haven't been to WDW since 1997 but I remember the CoP vividly. I love the dog! It will always be one of my very favorite attractions as it reminds me of the World's fair (in Chicago where I am currently living just a few blocks from its site) and I love to study up on that marvelous piece of history. I hope its the same as I remembered. I know my mom will love it too.

dpic
09-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Mouseplanet has reported that it has an on-going rehab: Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress – refurbishment of seats and carpeting occurring on a rolling basis; the attraction remains open.

Mickeyfer
09-19-2005, 07:41 PM
So...good news...one of our show cars has been disabled....because they're refurbishing it :flower: Yay! I was afraid it was just a rumor...I dunno how long it'll take, I'll be sure to post and let you guys know :)

TnTsParty
09-19-2005, 08:44 PM
We went on COP when were there just 1 1/2 weeks ago. I had to take my DH on it - I haven't been on it since 1995 and I am sure it was even longer since my DH was on it since he only went 1 or 2 times as a kid and then not again till May of this year. Needless to say I told him it was an oldie but goodie - and he came out singing the song (Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow) all the time (even still!!) even though he said the ride wasn't all that!!! The song sure stuck with him!! I am glad its not seasonal anymore.

crazymomof4
09-25-2005, 06:03 PM
We went on COP twice during our recent trip (9/14-9/23)
So glad my kids got to see it.
It's as good as I remember!
DD5 keeps singing the song with me!

NeverlandClub23
09-25-2005, 06:20 PM
I hope it's open when we go during the "value" season in December. It's been years since I've seen it, I hope it stays open year round until at least I get to see it again!

ThinkTink!
09-25-2005, 07:01 PM
I am amazed at how younger children are drawn to the COP! It is a must see everytime we go for my Ds who is 5. I didn't think he would understand it enough to like it - but I was so wrong. We have been home almost two weeks and he is still singing "it's a great big beautiful tomorrow...."!

katedrew94
09-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the song (on the internet) that used to be in the CoP? I think it was "The Best Time of Your Life." I know the current song by heart but for the life of me I can't remember how the other one went.

Thanks!

tomko
10-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the song (on the internet) that used to be in the CoP? I think it was "The Best Time of Your Life." I know the current song by heart but for the life of me I can't remember how the other one went.

Thanks!
Yes, I have the song posted on my site www.carouselofprogress.com

ENJOY!

DisneylandForever
10-12-2005, 05:12 PM
I finally got to see it! I took my first trip ever to WDW last week, and the first thing I did was head straight to the CoP. It was incredible! It was really awesome to see an attraction that was "all Walt" that I had never seen before. I mean I know the show has been updated, but I still totally felt his vision. This is truly an amazing show, and I am so grateful that it is still running to this day. :earsboy:

byoung
10-12-2005, 05:27 PM
COP has always been one of my favorites. :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

maryfree
10-12-2005, 05:40 PM
It seems to have weathered the storm hopefully..I remeber taking my children in 1976 thinking how incredible the effects were..I still think it stands the test of time

mindystar
10-12-2005, 05:50 PM
I love CoP, and so does the rest of my family. I love going through time and seeing all the changes that have happened! I would be devastated if it were to close, I was so sad when it was closed during one of our trips :(

crazymomof4
10-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Our whole family got to see CoP twice on our Sept. trip. It thrilled me to share this attraction, always one of my favorites, with them. It has been closed every time we've been there recently bc we go in the slow season. My 16 yo has not seen it since he was 5. He was eager to see it again to compare it with his vague memory of CoP. We've been home for almost 3 weeks now and we are still singing that song: "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow.............."

cobbler
10-12-2005, 06:34 PM
I love this ride but the seating area is in dire need of a refurb. It was musty smelling in there when we just went.

katedrew94
10-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes, I have the song posted on my site www.carouselofprogress.com

ENJOY!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Mickeyfer
10-17-2005, 11:41 AM
So they reopened the showcar that was disabled for the refurbishment...and you know what they did? They replaced the ceiling tiles. That's it. Soooo disappointed :(

LoveMickey
10-17-2005, 11:49 AM
I thought I read somewhere that COP was going to be open this fall. Is it true, would love to have it opened the 2nd week in Dec.

-sts-
11-21-2005, 07:37 PM
I heard that COP will be running January 1st. Its has been closed since October 1st.

AnnB
11-21-2005, 08:14 PM
COP was open during my visit from October 30-November 7. I rode it the first and last days.

behappy
11-21-2005, 09:11 PM
We were just there (and rode COP) on 11/17-11/19....still going strong.

-sts-
11-22-2005, 06:57 AM
well that is good.. I hope it won't be closed from December 1st thru the 11th.

ekmdisney
11-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Well, I was hoping to go next month and tape it. But we got hit with some unexpected bills and have to cancel. So if anyone is going who can tape the show, that would be great. I would like to have a copy of what ever you tape. This show has had its head so close to the chopping block for so long...I just don't know if I will be able to make it back to the park in time to see it before they finally shut it down. Though I hope that it will stay around for a good long time and gets a nice referb.

-sts-
11-25-2005, 10:22 AM
i will try to tape it for you if i have time..

ekmdisney
11-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks!

Mickeyfer
11-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Heard a rumor that CoP is going to be refurbished early next year and that they're updating the last scene...but refurbs. tend to get pushed back pretty often.

-sts-
11-28-2005, 02:51 PM
thats good its getting updated... well.. wont they have to change the cast cause Jean Sheppard's gone.

Mickeyfer
01-17-2006, 11:45 AM
They've replaced the wallpaper in all the show cars and made a few minor changes in the show scenes...like the dishes in the dishwasher in the 40s and the Christmas tree in the last scene...no idea why they decided to do that...but it's fun to go through and pick out what's new :)

tomko
01-17-2006, 12:17 PM
I can't wait to see the new and improved when I get there next month.

Thanks for the Great News

Tom
:banana:

-sts-
02-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Hey Tom. did u go on it? Is it different?

makinorlando
02-24-2006, 03:21 PM
I was on the other night, and did not notice anything obviously different, but then again, I may not have been too observant!!!! LOL!

tomko
02-25-2006, 09:37 AM
:duck: Hey Tom. did u go on it? Is it different?

I had to ride it two times in order to notice the changes/improvements. Yes...new paint job and yes I noticed changes in the last scene. I think Dad got a new skin. I also noticed the dinning room chairs around the table being different.

I must study these changes further by comparing them to my video shot a couple of years back.

BUT what I noticed the most were the numbers of people on the ride. Definite improvement there. I was there at about 7PM. At least half of each theater was filled. EACH Theatre...not every other one!

I will report back once I had time to study the older video.

Thanks

Tom

-sts-
02-26-2006, 10:55 AM
cool. okay Tom.. Do u have any videos of the COP when it opened in WDW?

motnow
03-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Well I just returned from WDW. My two kids, 9 and 13 fell in love with the COP. In the course of the week, we went on that ride 6 times! I think they get a kick out of the concept of traveling thru time, even though its "forward-jumping" over the decades. I hope that ride doesn't close. It was new to me and it was new to them, too. It was also a great thing to do while the hopper tickets were maturing!

crazyj4488
03-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Well I just returned from WDW. My two kids, 9 and 13 fell in love with the COP. In the course of the week, we went on that ride 6 times! I think they get a kick out of the concept of traveling thru time, even though its "forward-jumping" over the decades. I hope that ride doesn't close. It was new to me and it was new to them, too. It was also a great thing to do while the hopper tickets were maturing!

It's really nice to hear from a first-timer who liked the attraction so much. I, too, hope we never lose that piece of the magic. Jean Shepherd's narration is amazing...my favorite part of the whole show ;)

tifandjim
04-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Has anyone seen this ride open lately? I would love to ride it again when we go the first week of May. We always go in Sept. and it is always closed!!

KB in Ohio
04-14-2006, 07:25 PM
COP was open in Sept. of '05, the week after Labor Day. I'm hoping it is open the end of April.

db4huskers
04-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Paging Mr. Morrow Mr. Tom Morrow -- My two ds loved this ride last year and would be crushed if they close it. We are planning a trip in Dec and they have already started the Mr. Tom Morrow talk.

Twinprincesses
04-14-2006, 10:14 PM
We just got back last week and we went on this ride about 6 times. It was my girls favorite, so much we bought the Disney Soundtrack so they could listen to it at home.

Stitch65
04-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Paging Mr. Morrow Mr. Tom Morrow -- My two ds loved this ride last year and would be crushed if they close it. We are planning a trip in Dec and they have already started the Mr. Tom Morrow talk.

That's TTA talk. :rotfl:

Now, "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day!"

Ahhhhhh, brings back the good times.....

tomko
10-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Since the COP has been open on a RATHER full time basis, the attendance has been quite high I am told by management.

KEEP IT UP PLEASE.....

Thanks

Tom

:banana:

Mickey1122
10-15-2006, 12:43 PM
cool-I love that ride.

Plantlady
10-15-2006, 12:47 PM
COP is such a great ride!

rie'smom
10-15-2006, 12:57 PM
COP is a family favorite.It's my DD's 2nd fave after RnR-go figure. I :love: :love: :love: :love: this ride.

jess98ac
10-15-2006, 01:36 PM
It has been one of my favorites since the first time I went there at age 10 (20 years ago!!)

DisneylandForever
10-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Terrific! That's easily my favorite attraction out of both parks. I'll be there soon and I can't wait to see it!

KB in Ohio
10-16-2006, 08:52 PM
COP was open end of April - first of May 2006. It's a classic.

DisneyBlonde
10-16-2006, 08:59 PM
We love Carousel of Progress!! Sometimes we skip Haunted Mansion. We may not wait in line for Space Mountain if it's too long. Sometimes we might not feel like getting wet on Splash Mountain. But we always go on COP (when it's open).

STEAMBOAT209
10-16-2006, 09:04 PM
COP was open on our June 06 trip and my grandsons really liked the ride, and I was glad they got to do the ride for it closes for good. They may not have ever seen this had it not been for the demand. Just maybe it'll remain on the demand list for other to continue to enjoy.

Twinprincesses
10-16-2006, 09:05 PM
My kids rode this at least 4 times when we were there in April. It is a nice break from the weather and crowds too.

Missus Toad
10-16-2006, 09:29 PM
We were on the CoP this past Saturday night! :banana: I was so thrilled to see it moving when I was on the TTA, I wanted to jump off and ride then and there! I am so happy it was open for us! :woohoo:

crazymomof4
02-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Anyone know if COP will be open for the first week in March? I would hate for my mom to miss it since it's one of her favorites too and she hasn't been to WDW since '94.

CanadianGuy
02-17-2007, 06:12 PM
March is a high demand month.. and they'll need all the attractions they can to disperse the crowds. SO I suspect it will be open.

Also - the Wonders of Life over at Epcot might even be open! (ha ha)

J

crazymomof4
02-17-2007, 06:56 PM
March is a high demand month.. and they'll need all the attractions they can to disperse the crowds. SO I suspect it will be open.

Also - the Wonders of Life over at Epcot might even be open! (ha ha)

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Great about the COP...........but "Wonders' is on our "skip" list! :rolleyes1

CanadianGuy
02-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah. I hear ya.

scottnj1966
05-17-2010, 03:38 PM
It is nice that after 5 years of not closing that it is still going strong.

I am afraid that this site may not be as lucky. Everything shows as 2007 was the last time anything has been updated.

I hate for this site to go away. It has so much to offer.

Scott

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com

Lou Holtz
05-17-2010, 05:15 PM
What are you talking about?

Yubbie
05-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Wow...I'm really confused. Why is this thread being resurrected? It was started almost 8 years ago and ended over 3 years ago.

I am afraid that this site may not be as lucky. Everything shows as 2007 was the last time anything has been updated.

I hate for this site to go away. It has so much to offer.

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.

:confused3:upsidedow

hawkeyesparks
05-17-2010, 05:47 PM
To awesome that this post popped up again. Anything to get the CoP back in peoples minds

exbjd
05-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Wish they had CoP souvenirs - like t-shirts or magnets!!!!!

siskaren
05-17-2010, 05:57 PM
What are you talking about?

I assume he's refering to the site that he posted a link to.

Wow...I'm really confused. Why is this thread being resurrected? It was started almost 8 years ago and ended over 3 years ago.
:confused3:upsidedow

Yeah, I always wonder how people are even finding threads that haven't been posted to in months or even years.

scottnj1966
05-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Well for one, I didnt notice the forum redirected me to this site from the cop site.

I was commenting on that I notived everything from carouselofprogress.com is from 2007
Nothing has been updated since then.
If you are not interested that is fine no reason for you to comment.
If you are and know why I was just wondering.

Thanks

Goldeelox9
02-08-2012, 11:29 AM
This is my favorite attraction in Disney World!!!