PDA

View Full Version : new to pin trading, need tips, pls

SafariChris
08-13-2002, 09:02 PM
Hello there,

My daughter and I just returned from our trip to WDW, I let her start pin trading (she's 9) she loved it, and is totally hooked. I found myself trying to talk her into ones that I wanted so I guess that means that I am hooked also. We did pretty good for our first time, got a few from CM's that told her not to trade them they were good ones. How do i find out more about this trading stuff though? And whats all this about the states? I am in CT., I saw some other posts from people in CT, and mention of a CT based group...would love some more info.

thanks to all....

Obi-Wan Pinobi
08-13-2002, 10:09 PM
A big howdy and welcome to the DIS Collectors Board, Chris. :)

Check out some of the links in my signature for more information on trading -- the Pin Trading 101 area on wdwinfo.com and the Collectors Board FAQ. The FAQ also has links to other Disney pin sites. Dizpins and Dizneypins are news and information sites, Pinpics is an online catalog of Disney pins. All three of these sites are unofficial and run by other collectors. Disney does have an unofficial site but it's still pretty much a work in progress.

As for the states, I'm guessing you're referring to the state list stuck at the top of the board. The Disney Stores have released two series of states pins, one as part of last year's 100 Years of Dreams and one as part of the 12 Months of Magic. MeanLaureen, one of the other mods and my DW :) , started compiling the list above and it's just sort of stayed.

Yeah, there are a few people from CT here. They wear boas, they start pin swaps, they love villains ... you know, normal people. :teeth:

PinClubs
08-14-2002, 09:18 AM
Hello Safari Chris,

There is a Connecticut group (CTDPT - Connecticut Disney Pin Traders). They meet once a month at the Westfarms Mall in Farmington, CT.

Three of the main participants are Mario(********), Dom(Dom13) and Cynthia(JOJOCT). More information about the club can be found on Pin Clubs - http://www.pinclubs.com/

There is a sub-section of Pin Clubs dedicated to the CTDPT. Some photos of an event held at the Rain Forest cafe in May can found there too. During their September 14th meet they should have someone taking pictures so they can be posted to Pin Clubs.

In October there is a big pin event for the CT group, which is going to be held at the Residence Inn in Southington CT. It is going to be a 24 hour Pin-A-Thon. Rooms at the Inn are already been booked fast for this event. People are coming from NJ, MA, NH and of course CT. Information on that event can also be found on Pin Clubs.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me at BuddyBear@PinClubs.com

Welcome to Disney Pin Trading!!

Jeff

princessKT
08-17-2002, 03:37 AM
Thanks so much for the info! I just got back from Disneyland and became curious about pin trading. Thanks again! :)

goofymom/pop
08-17-2002, 07:53 AM
to our little piece of insanity. Here you will find some of the best people. I too found this board when I wanted to give my then 7 year old son something new to do at WDW. Now I am hooked, along with my hubby and son. Its always nice to have a new pin person/family join our hobby.

Tips: Before trading on line ask for references. Some can be found on www.dizpins.com. If not ask for other people you can contact about the trade. If they are upset, back out. Most of us are happy to offer references for our trades, and to to recommend our friends on the board.

Post any and all ?s here, no matter how silly they seem. We have all asked them before trust me:).

Have your significant other hide your charge card from you, this can get very very addicting....not to mention expensive:).

Most of all, no trade is a bad trade if you are happy with the pin you got!!!

Have fun,

cindy

princessKT
08-19-2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by goofymom/pop
Have your significant other hide your charge card from you, this can get very very addicting....not to mention expensive:).

Haha, yes, this seems like a very good tip :) Thanks so much!

Engr-Chas
08-19-2002, 11:17 AM
OMG!

No mention of the Queen? Does this mean..oh it can't be true..

No Queen, No Queen , na na na na na na (ala lion king)

Engr-Chas
Lord of the Jungle

BeautyLLM
08-19-2002, 08:12 PM
The Queen can speak for herself!!

Hi Chris, and welcome to CT!! (where are you in CT? I live in Orange) Yes, it's true...there are some wacky pin traders here...but we all have a great time together! I hope you can make it to a CT meet...I haven't been in a while due to scheduling conflicts but they are great fun! It's a good way to meet local traders for some fun and friendly pin trading.

Hope to meet you soon!

Mickey527
08-19-2002, 09:45 PM
Our CT group is the best. We started with just three, Leslie, Cynthia and Me, the "Three Caballaros". Then we allowed Dom to join us, but he hasn't been intiated into our group yet, but he is closer now than he was last year.
Then Mario came along. A Caballaro wannabe. When we find a 3rd guy we just might have to make the male and female Caballaros.
Now we meet once a month and more and more friends are joining us each time.
Some of the frequent meet goers are:
Caroline, Roger,Sharon, Joanne, Randy, Jim, the other Jim, and too many more to mention. We now have them coming from RI and MA to meet with us.
Hope you can join us for our next meet on the 2nd Saturday of September at Westfarms Mall. We hide under the escalator across from the Rainforest Cafe. After a few hours of trading, and lots of ooing and aahing, we go to dinner, either at the Rainforest or our newest place, California Pizza. Then over to Au Bon Pain for some coffee and more ooing and aahing. Bring the kids, they have a ball too. Peggie

Engr-Chas
08-20-2002, 11:30 AM
Oops!

I think that Peggie forgot to mention that its BYOS (Bring Your Own Speedo)!

Engr-Chas
Lord of the Conga...cha cha cha cha cha hey...