PDA

View Full Version : A thought about Fantasy Pins...

NHMickey
08-13-2002, 07:06 PM
I was just sitting here going over what pins to take to the Pin Event and I came across a framed set of Fantasy Pins. It was a set I made up and have traded for over the years. What got me thinking was why? Why did I trade away a pin I paid at least $7.50 to 8 bucks for for a pin that cost about $1.50 to $2 bucks to make and can't be traded on a lanyard for a .99 cent cheap pin. Don't get me wrong some of these pins are very nice and have a great message on them but still I ask myself would I have paid more than 2 or 3 bucks for it if I could have bought it?

I like the ones from the cruises and other events as they have a memory or something attached to them like Jeff's and Lauri's meet, but the others seem like a way for someone to just get a lot of inexpensive traders for the parks... I mean think about it... If you could get say 150 Fantasy Pins for $250 to $300 bucks and then traded them for a plain Disney rack pin that cost $7.50... Well you get $1125 worth of pins to trade that are DISNEY pins. Not a bad investment...

What do you think of Fantasy pins

atlnewf
08-13-2002, 07:12 PM
I made my fantasy pin mainly to give to people that I thought were great traders or friends. I *do* trade them, but I make it clear that the person that's getting it can't trade it like a normal pin. Thus I'll trade it for any pin offered (Disney or otherwise).

I don't know about the folks that are actually making money on their pins, but I haven't made $60 on mine. Then again, I wasn't trying.

Ashley

NHMickey
08-13-2002, 07:17 PM
Let me clarify just a bit... I don't mean the person that makes a small amount to trade to friends I mean the ones that are done as a straight rip of of a Disney Pin... Like the Disneyana ones you see on Ebay and such. The one that says this is LE to x amount...

atlnewf
08-13-2002, 07:31 PM
Huh. I hadn't given any thought to those. I'm kind of amazed that Disney hasn't cracked down on those. Those I'm not interested in purchasing or trading.

Ashley

NHMickey
08-13-2002, 07:33 PM
I amazed as well... I mean I saw some the other day on another site that looked like real Disney Pins...

TabbyKittie
08-13-2002, 07:40 PM
I've bought two fantasy pins recently, the DOOM BGY license plate pin, and the Halloween 2002 pin. I think both of them are fabulous pins and I don't mind at all paying as much for them as I do for a disney pin. I'm sure it doesn't cost Disney very much to make their pins either and it really doesn't matter to me if Disney makes a profit off of me or a fantasy pin maker does. Now if the pin is a direct ripoff of a Disney designed pin already, then I totally don't think that's cool at all. But I think the fantasy pin makers put a lot of thought and effort into their pins and they should be rewarded for that.

Just my 2 cents. :teeth:

=Tabby=

3kids4me
08-13-2002, 07:49 PM
I have to agree with Tabby. If someone wants to buy a pin because they like it, and they pay $6 (or $10 or whatever), someone is going to make a profit, whether it's Disney or someone else. Probably most "small time" fantasy pin makers don't make much if anything and just do it as a fun thing. Maybe I'm not understanding correctly though...is there some kind of pin that looks like a Disney pin but isn't? I have this Mickey "Buy Sell Trade" pin that everyone says is a fantasy pin but it has a copyright Disney on the back and pictures Mickey...is that what you're referring to?

NHMickey
08-13-2002, 09:28 PM
Yes Sharon... That pin is one of them... If you look at the copyright it is to the RIGHT of Disney... Now look at a pin you bought from Disney... The copyright is to the LEFT... As it is always to the left of what is copyrighted. By putting it to the right they have not copyrighted anything. Some pins from Europe have a copyright for Disney and McDoalds as well as Coke. These have the right Copyright but are fake as well. Like s Here is another example.

http://www.pinpics.com/img/p61/pin3051

http://www.mouseandmore.com/images/buttons/pindisneyanatokyoredpintrading.jpg

http://www.mouseandmore.com/images/buttons/pinholiday2001newyears.jpg

These are LE to 250 because if you do 250 pins there is no metal die cost... To see a lot more of what I am taliking about just type
Disneyana pin under ebay search. Also after the first 250 are gone they always seem to have more just in a different color.

NHMickey
08-13-2002, 11:00 PM
And these... These pins are made to sell and make people think they where E-tickets. These are the types of Fantasy Pins I mean. not the ones that some of us here have made to trade between freinds. I mean the ones made to look like Disney pins and to make you think they are real.

http://www.pinpics.com/img/p92/pin4601
http://www.pinpics.com/img/p92/pin4600

JLS
08-15-2002, 08:38 PM
I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, but can someone explain what is a "fantasy pin" and how you might distinguish a fantasy pin being sold on Ebay (and passed off as a real pin) vs. a real Disney pin.

Thanks!