PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on price per day dining plan

bukosluvswdw
06-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Did all my research on a vacation package with dining plan. Two adults and two children 6 nights it will be $1,128.34 for the whole week. It is $282.08 per person for the week whiich breals down to $47.01 perday per person.

It sounds like a good deal but I would like to know what you guys think

MPHARJ
06-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Seems like a great deal but doesn't seem right. When are you going? Where are you staying? How old are your children? Which dining plan are you using? I checked several weeks at the value resorts and the hotel alone is not even that price. Need a bit more info to see if this is actually right or not. Are you going during free dining?

MPHARJ
06-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Sorry, or was that just ths cost of the DP you broke down?

myhouseofmouse
06-03-2010, 10:52 PM
All good details to ask...i would also suggest, dining plan is only worth it, if you get th reservations for the restaurants you want...keep that in mind.

Faldred
06-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Basic DDP should be $46.99/adult/night during "peak" dining seasons, so it looks like you're pretty much spot-on with just some rounding error.

bukosluvswdw
06-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Sorry, or was that just ths cost of the DP you broke down?

My bad - it was just the dining plan not the room and passes!

pooch
06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
it approximates the way you want to eat on vacation. We love it (and get it free!) But it fits our eating style. DD (25) and I split a CS breakfast and lunch then get our own TS dinners. This gives us plenty of food without being stuffed in the hot Florida sun. We use snack credits mostly for frozen lemonades.

Look at what you get vs what you'd want. We always spend a little out of pocket - maybe $10 a day but the ddp saves us a ton. Howver, it doesn't work for everyone and I know you'll get many opinions here!

Faldred
06-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Actually, I re-ran the numbers based on adults and children (I had originally looked at it as 4 adults). It looks to me like you're getting the deluxe dining plan ($71.99/adult/night, $20.99/child/night) with this package. That's 3 meal credits per person per night, each of which can be used at either TS or CS, and 2 snack credits per person per night. Plus the resort refillable mug.

I get $1,115.76 as a total price, not $1,128.34, but it's pretty close.

Cafeen
06-04-2010, 12:08 PM
The dining plans can be a value, but if (and only if) you are planning to dine the way they suggest.

For the QSDP (Quick Service Dining Plan, 2 QS/2 snacks per night, 1 refillable mug per person) and DDP (Disney Dining Plan, 1TS/1QS/1Snack per night), this is pretty easy to figure out. If you're doing mostly QS with at most a couple TS for the whole trip, the QS will be the better value. If you want at least 1TS per night (but no more than 1.5x the number of nights) then DDP will be the better value.

For DxDDP (Deluxe Disney Dining Plan, 3meals/2snacks per night, 1 refillable mug per person), it gets a little more complicated since they are general credits and not split up like the two above plans are. So long as you are planning to use about 2/3 (or more) of the credits at TS locations, you typically come out ahead. Note that 2 or 3 sit down meals a day can eat up quite a bit of park touring time.

As to which one will suit you, it's all in the matter of what you're looking to get out of the trip. For my upcoming trip, it was more about visiting the restaurants (especially since I'm going solo), so the DxDDP is a good fit for it. I'm also going for a bit longer (8 nights), so the time management isn't something to be particularly concerned about. I'm also willing to simply not order (or at least try) some of the entitlements if I don't want them, I've done the math and know I'm coming out ahead if I skip a few apps or desserts.

For you, you don't have to go quite as in-depth, but getting a basic handle on what you're looking to do on the vacation (dining-wise) will be the first indication of if a dining plan would be of value to you.