PDA

View Full Version : NY area folks - how does Peter Luger's compare?

POOH&PIGLET
08-13-2002, 02:47 PM
My DW took me to Peter Luger's for my birthday a few weeks ago. What a present!!! :cool: This was one of the best meals I have ever had and I'm not that big of a steak eater.

How do the WDW steak places compare?

FunkyLamb
08-13-2002, 02:55 PM
No Contest.

Peter Lugar's is one of the top Steak places in the entire country.

The only thing I can think of remotely close in Central Florida is Burns in Tampa.

DancingBear
08-13-2002, 03:01 PM
Well WDW has only been open for about 30 years, so no waiters have worked there for 50 years as it appears at Peter Lugers!! And you won't be as nervous about taking a walk after dinner at the WDW restaurants.;)

Lewisc
08-13-2002, 04:06 PM
Shulas in the Swan/Dolphin or The Palm in the HRH are the closest to Peter Lugers.

Greg K.
08-13-2002, 04:28 PM
Luger's has a well-earned reputation as one of the best steak places, hands-down, anywhere.

There is no comparison to anything, anywhere, at any time -- at least not on this planet.

To seek something comprable at Walt Disney World would be tempting serious disappointment. Perhaps, even, setting yourself up for heartbreak (if not heartburn...) :mad:

That said: Yachtsman Steak House is pretty damn good. If Luger's is A+, Yachtsman rates a solid B.

Lower your expectations, and loosen your belt, and you'll enjoy it.

:smooth:

POOH&PIGLET
08-13-2002, 06:50 PM
Luger's is the first real steakhouse I've eaten at so I don't really have anything to compare it with. Thanks for the responses.

DancingBear - My wife's grandfather worked there for a little over 50 years (from the 30's to the 80's). I was surprised that she had never eaten there before.

Eeyore2U
08-13-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Greg K.
That said: Yachtsman Steak House is pretty damn good. If Luger's is A+, Yachtsman rates a solid B.
:smooth:

If you rate the YSH a B+ then Shula's is an A/A+.

Never been to Luger's but have been to Morton's, which is highly respected and Shula's is far superior.

FunkyLamb
08-13-2002, 07:08 PM
That's funny and not to insult anyone here, but I can't stand either Yachtsman's Steakhouse OR Morton's.

Peter Lugar's is just so good that you need to keep that in mind wherever you end up going. Overall at WDW, Shula's would be the place to go for a 'Steakhouse' restaurant, but I think the best piece of beef on property is the filet at California Grill.

BrianBWV
08-13-2002, 07:32 PM
There's Luger's, then all of the other steakhouses vying for second place.

BrianBWV

stevets
08-13-2002, 07:45 PM
Eventhough I live a couple minutes from Peter Luger's I've never eaten there. I understand from the food network that whereas good steakhouses serve only "prime" beef, Peter Luger's goes a step above prime - they inspect their purveyor's prime beef and select only what passes their own even higher criteria.

Anyways, with all due respect to the residents of O-town who might be reading this, I can't imagine any food in Orlando that could be as good as the best of NYC. Except maybe cuban food, or something from the ethnic community like that.

Eeyore2U
08-13-2002, 07:53 PM
I see this is gonna turn into a NYC versus the world thing. ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

FunkyLamb
08-13-2002, 07:58 PM
I won't let it. :p

Because New Orleans has some pretty darn good steakhouses too.

It not just the fact that Lugar's hand picks their Prime beef, but that they also age it for 3 weeks. A few top notch places in New Orleans do the same.

Erikarate
08-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Sorry Mitch, but you have to admit, NYC has some of the best food in the world, and I'm sure many would agree with me on that. Of course there are regional specialities that you need to travel to find (i.e. such as Louisiana Gumbo or Carolina BBQ), but places like Peter Lugers are famed for a reason...Unfortunately when I went there last with my grandmother (a true cosmopolitan new yorker) I was too young to appreciate it.

I can also say that I've never been to a better Jewish deli than in NYC, (esp. pastrami on rye, and knishes and half-sour pickles...oy) or had a better hot dog or pizza (though I did have some pretty amazing pizza in Hoboken and even in New Haven, CT).

Eeyore2U
08-13-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Erikarate
Sorry Mitch, but you have to admit, NYC has some of the best food in the world, and I'm sure many would agree with me on that. Of course there are regional specialities that you need to travel to find (i.e. such as Louisiana Gumbo or Carolina BBQ), but places like Peter Lugers are famed for a reason...Unfortunately when I went there last with my grandmother (a true cosmopolitan new yorker) I was too young to appreciate it.

I can also say that I've never been to a better Jewish deli than in NYC, (esp. pastrami on rye, and knishes and half-sour pickles...oy) or had a better hot dog or pizza (though I did have some pretty amazing pizza in Hoboken and even in New Haven, CT).

Sorry, but growing up in Mass I have to say Boston has great places to eat. I will put on Lugers on my to list when I get to NYC. The Italian food in the North End is superb. But the best I've had is right here in my hometown.

Erikarate, have you ever been to Rein's Deli in Vernon? I just had the best blintzes there. Just like my grandmother made. I think we believe what we have is the best and ther eis nothign wrong with that.

dmen
08-13-2002, 09:24 PM
ok, i am laughing quite hard at myself right now. i saw this thread and started burning up that anyone might say a steak at wdw could compare with peter luger's! thankfully, everyone so far has agreed with me :)

Mish19
08-13-2002, 10:03 PM
Since we're on an NYC kick, ya gotta include italian pastry in good ol' Brooklyn!

Erikarate
08-13-2002, 10:06 PM
Mitch-
I agree Boston does have some great food. I've been there on many of occasion as my sister went to BU, and I was at UCONN. My favorite is the sausage and peppers at Fenway, chowder houses and lobster (though we do get good seafood in CT as well).

I have not been to Rein's deli...if I'm ever in Vernon I'll give it a try!!

DownNeckBoy
08-14-2002, 07:39 AM
WDW can re-create, it seems, almost anything found outside of Orlando. It can't re-create Peter Luger's. On the other hand, I don't think they were ever foolish enough to try it either!

:jester:

reggie92762
08-14-2002, 10:50 AM
You go Mish....have you every been to Your Bakery on 86th Street . Or Leske's....?

Steve on LI
08-14-2002, 11:13 AM
If you think Peter Luger's was good, then try Ruth's Chris. I've been to just about every major steak house in NY and most if not all pale in comparison to Ruth's Chris. Ruth's Chris is also the only chain of steak house's that are consistant from restaurant to restaurant and city to city. I've been to 3 different locations in NY, one in Palm Springs, and one in Arizona. I bring it up because there is a Ruth's Chris in Orlando (which I've never been to). Try it, it won't disappoint you.

gina2000
08-14-2002, 11:15 AM
Oh....and for any first time visitors....Peter Luger's does not accept any credit cards except their own. So bring cash.

And the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn is a tough section of town. Take a cab.

gina2000
08-14-2002, 11:15 AM
double post

reggie92762
08-14-2002, 11:50 AM
They also have another location out on Long Island, I heard the brooklyn one is better. But the Long Island one is less threatening.

POOH&PIGLET
08-14-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by gina2000
Oh....and for any first time visitors....Peter Luger's does not accept any credit cards except their own. So bring cash.
When you make a reservation, they tell you about the cash-only policy. When we were there, the people a few tables over were pretty upset when they tried to pay with a credit card. ;)

Jen D
08-14-2002, 02:23 PM
And it is pretty expensive!

The funny thing about Peter Lugar's is that the side dishes are really predestrian and the wine list is unremarkable (but gently priced.) But who cares about the sides? The steak is out of this world.

Mmmm. I think I need to start saving for another trip.

aring75
08-14-2002, 02:54 PM
but if you are alooking for an EXCELLENT place to get a steak in Central Florida you would have to go to BERN'S Steakhouse in Tampa. It is beyond compare in the area. Zagat's calls it "the best place in Florida for steaks" and with good reason. Also the service is top-notch and the neighborhood is friendly too!!;)

Go with an appetite and take the tour of the kitchen and wine cellar. There is a "dessert room" (yes, room) upstairs. And the portions are huge. The hardest part is choosing one!!

I wouldn't dream of comparing this restaurant to yours (as I have never been), but I can honestly say I've never had a better steak anywhere.

Captain Crook
08-14-2002, 04:13 PM
Peter Louguies blows, OK!!! Give me the prime cut at Pecos Bill's at MK anyday...Oh, that's a hamburger, isn't it? Never mind...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

singitalto
08-14-2002, 06:47 PM
OK- I don't get it. Lived in New York all my life. Last spring got a $150 gift certificate to Peter Luger's. Went to the one here on Long Island. The steak was good, but not worth the $150 for 2 people that it cost!!! My husband agreed. I rather have 2 meals anywhere at Disney than one at Peter Luger's again!!!
JMHO!

lisaost
08-14-2002, 07:39 PM
Since we're on an NYC kick, ya gotta include italian pastry in good ol' Brooklyn! And let's not forget the Italian bread!

My DH ate at Peter Luger's recently and he was not terribly impressed with his steak. Then again, it was probably too lean for him....the man is a cheap date when it comes to steak....he likes his grizzle :rolleyes:

Mish19
08-15-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by reggie92762
You go Mish....have you every been to Your Bakery on 86th Street . Or Leske's....?

I was just at Your Bakery a couple of weeks ago. Good stuff!

stevets
08-15-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by singitalto
OK- I don't get it. Lived in New York all my life. Last spring got a $150 gift certificate to Peter Luger's. Went to the one here on Long Island. The steak was good, but not worth the $150 for 2 people that it cost!!! My husband agreed. I rather have 2 meals anywhere at Disney than one at Peter Luger's again!!!
JMHO! Anywhere at Disney? Even Alfredo's? I'd pay $150 to AVOID eating at Alfredo's.

MatthewNY
08-15-2002, 02:51 PM
heh heh , thats pretty funny stevets, I guess the food hasn't gotten any better there.

On the topic of Peter Luger's , for some reason thier Long Island location consistently gets medicore reviews. Stick to the Brooklyn location, its the best steak I've ever had. As much as I love WDW I really don't consider it a place for truly great food, certainly not at this level.

Matt

Jun 72 offsite
Apr 89 offsite
Mar 95 All-Star Sports
Nov 95 offsite
Aug 96 Boardwalk Inn
Dec 96 Port Orleans French Quarter
Sep 98 Beach Club
May 99 Port Orleans French Quarter
Jan 00 Polynesian
May 01 Swan
Oct 02 Grand Floridian

mamamia
08-16-2002, 07:48 AM
Hey singitalto we live in the same town!!