PDA

View Full Version : DP and Diabetes

PrincessPeyton
06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
This will be our first trip since my DH was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Any suggestions from people who have done it before? TIA!

TDC Nala
06-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Check the DISAbilities board for information on dining with medical conditions or allergies.

The only info I can give about DDP in this situation is that if you are on regular DDP, ordering an appetizer in place of dessert is never permitted, even for medical conditions. Disney restaurants will offer substitutes like fruit and most have a sugar-free dessert selection, but they will not permit substitution of an appetizer.

jennibug
06-01-2010, 12:21 PM
I have been to WDW many times as a diabetic. You just have to use good judgement with your food choices and follow your dietician's advice. It's just like when you go out to dinner at restuarant at home :-) You will be fine.

kehlyrsmom
06-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I have been to WDW many times as a diabetic. You just have to use good judgement with your food choices and follow your dietician's advice. It's just like when you go out to dinner at restuarant at home :-) You will be fine.

I have been many times as well. My Doctor took me off of potatoes, breads and pastas. Usually the sit down restaurants will let you order extra vegtables insead of a potatoe. If I have a dessert I will only eat a few bites of it just enough for a taste. My husband and I share alot of the quick service meals so we will get one for breakfast and share it and the same for lunch, I try to avoid bread if I can but if not I do not get anything with a bun. I have been able to get the apple slices instead of fries, though the portion is considerably smaller. Anyway just like the poster above mentioned it is no different then eating out at home.

sndral
06-02-2010, 05:31 PM
My mom is type 2 as well, no problems for her finding things she can eat. I do make it a point to make sure she eats first thing in the am by running down to the food court and grabbing something she'll like that fits what she should eat and I make sure we don't go too long between meals/snacks.

SmallWorld71
06-05-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm sorry that I do not know the difference between type 1 and 2 so this may not be of help. But, my mom is an insulin dependent diabetic (for about 10 years) and we took a trip to Disney in August. Between the heat and all the walking her sugar levels were very different than they normally are and she found herself able to eat a lot of desserts and sweets which she normally can't. Not saying that your husband will be able to, as I know everyone is different. But, make sure he doesn't assume anything about his diet and monitors himself closely. :goodvibes