PDA

View Full Version : When do you start packing?

Kara
05-31-2010, 11:34 PM
How far ahead do you get your suitcase out and start throwing stuff in?

Mom_Rides
06-01-2010, 12:17 AM
We got our suitcases out a couple of weeks ago to test that everything would fit in our van since we've never taken this big of a trip all together. At that point we just put them aside in our livingroom.

I started putting clothes and toiletries aside over the last week and today I packed up my DSS's before they went to their mom's for the week. I also packed all of our toiletries except toothbrushes, toothpaste and deodorant. I think I have all of my clothes and DD's clothes together but I need to double check it and then pack it away. DH is one his own :rotfl:

We leave on Saturday :cool1:

angela152
06-01-2010, 06:51 AM
I have 17 more days until our family of 5 (2yr old, 4 year old and 5 year old) leave for FL. (driving down from PA). This weekend, I bought any remaining items i needed (mostly toiletry stuff) and seperated the things I have specific for the car from the things I will need from our visit with family and things we need JUST for disney. I didn't pack yet, I'm really resisting the urge. This coming weekend, I will probably pack all of our toiletry items and then about 2 days before we leave, i'll start packing actual clothes. I just want to pack and leave today though!!!

mrodgers
06-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Next week, we will pack on Thursday, clean out the car and load up on Friday, and wake up and leave Saturday morning.

lorac4disney
06-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Last week, I bought all of our travel toiletries and set them aside. I even bought new toothbrushes so we wouldn't have the hassle of having to wait to pack those.

I laid out our suitcases and started putting a few thing in them this past weekend. Today, I am going to dig out all of our old stuff from last year's trip that we plan on taking again as well as go shopping for whatever else we need.

I plan to have everything packed up Thursday and spend Friday cleaning the house. I like coming home to a clean house. I'm going to load everything into the car Friday night and leave Saturday morning to spend the night in a hotel closer to the airport. We leave from there first thing Sunday morning.

DisneyClown
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
We leave in a month, and I got out the suitcases last week to start throwing things in. I started already partly out of excitement for the trip, and partly because I have never packed for bringing two kids, one being 20 months old. I am trying to make do with 2 large suitcases, 1 medium suitcase and two carry-ons. Have to have diapers, things to keep DD happy on plane, extra change of clothes for myself for midday break from the heat, and extra change of clothes for DD, she's very messy!

disneymom727
06-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Shoot we're not going until Oct. but I'm so anxious I'd pack now if I could! ;)

mousebymarriage
06-01-2010, 11:09 AM
We usually get the suitcases out of the attic about 2 weeks before the trip just to air them out and febreeze them. A week before we leave I pull out all the clothes just to see what we need and then hit the mall if necessary (let's face it, I always hit the mall before vacation because I like everyone to have at least 1 new outfit for the trip). We "officially" pack the weekend before we leave. Toiletries and misc. items are picked up when on sale starting about a month before the trip (sometimes earlier if I get a good deal on something).

Now my sis in law starts packing the day they leave and usually right out of the dryer as the car service sits in the driveway honking the horn:eek:.

mousebymarriage
06-01-2010, 11:15 AM
I plan to have everything packed up Thursday and spend Friday cleaning the house. I like coming home to a clean house.

I had to laugh when I read the part about cleaning the house before you leave, I do the same thing. It drives my DH nuts because I clean the entire house top to bottom and do every bit of laundry(except for pajamas that we wore that night) before we leave. He just doesn't understand why I do all of it because he says "no one will be home so whats the point". I like to come home to a nice clean house and not have to worry about anything when I get home.

Sinderelly
06-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I had to laugh when I read the part about cleaning the house before you leave, I do the same thing. It drives my DH nuts because I clean the entire house top to bottom and do every bit of laundry(except for pajamas that we wore that night) before we leave. He just doesn't understand why I do all of it because he says "no one will be home so whats the point". I like to come home to a nice clean house and not have to worry about anything when I get home.

I LOVE coming home to a clean house...so worth it IMO. DH's don't understand because they would be happy living in caves. :rotfl:

sydneysmom
06-01-2010, 12:34 PM
we're leaving Sept 18th so I'll probably start laying clothes out on the guest room bed right after Labor Day. That will give me about 2 weeks to get all our toiletries bought and any last minute things bought that I KNOW i'm going to forget. But like someone else said, if I could start now, I would ! :thumbsup2

I'm also a big believer in coming home to a clean house. We leave on a Saturday so I'll probably clean the house and do the sheets friday night. I'll have to take my puppies to boarding on friday, so cleaning will keep my mind busy from missing them too much !!:sad1:

KissMickey4U?
06-01-2010, 02:04 PM
We are leaving in 3 weeks and I haven't been to WDW since 97 so I am very excited. I have already pulled out all the suitcases and began folding all the kids clothes and making sure they have enough clothes, socks, etc. I have always been a heavy packer, but I am determined to not pack that heavy this time. This will be my first time flying with children so I will already be nervous and I don't want to be worried about my bag weighing more than 50lbs added on top of that. So I am trying to distribute everything properly and realize that it is hott in FL so I don't need 4 pair of jeans to go with me I won't be wearing them. LOL So Yes, I have already began to pack don't want to forget anything important. :rotfl:

disneygal29
06-01-2010, 02:21 PM
We leave on the 15th. I'm starting to put extra stuff in the living room so that I don't forget it. This weekend I will get out my packing list and start checking things off......I can't wait to get there!!!:cutie:

AKL_Megs
06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I start to pack on the Sunday before we leave. :goodvibes

Of course, I start packing in my mind weeks beforehand! :rotfl:

I also clean the house before we leave... ;)

FlightlessDuck
06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
About a month out we catalog the clothes we are planning to take so we can buy new clothes if need be. Since our kids are still growing, we want to get the summer clothes shopping done before Disney.

As to when we actually start packing, I think it's two or three days before we leave we start making sure everything is washed and gather stuff together.

We_love_WDW
06-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I leave on SAT and I have one suitcase partially filled with products (toothbrushes, etc...) and I have piles of clothes....tommorrow I will do laundry, Thurs I will start to pack and be done by friday...Sat morning I put in the final things like makeup, face lotion etc....

Way2Goofy
06-01-2010, 03:59 PM
I am terrible when it comes to packing. I always have good intentions, but usually end up staying up til midnight the night before we leave!:headache:

We are leaving in about 17 days. We will see how this time works out. ;)

Helen B
06-01-2010, 04:36 PM
We fly out on a Friday, but this year have decided to stay at the airport on the Thursday night, so we will pack on the Wednesday.

I really don't get the need to start packing 2 weeks ahead (mind you there's only 2 of us.) Yes I've been buying bits and bobs over the last few months, but I just keep putting them in a bag, and anything I forget, I will just pick up when I get there.

We're not taking many clothes this year, we've decided we'll get some new stuff while we're out there because, even though the /$ exchange rate isn't what it was, some things are still cheaper.

Snow Shoe
06-01-2010, 08:31 PM
We've been so many times before, that packing for Disney is easy for us. We will have started making sure certain cloths/items are clean/ready a day or two before actual placing them in a suitcase. The suitcases will come out the day before leaving, and in a 2 hour time span, we'll have it all done. I'm responsable for my own suitcase packing, the car care and packing it, the laptop and router, and all of the paperwork if flying/driving. My wife takes care of her own suitcase, first aid kit, monies, res's/ADR list and Disney items like AP's. We've done this for so many years that it's second nature as to what we each are responsable for.

trekker93
06-01-2010, 08:53 PM
When I first get back and unpack, all clothes are cleaned. Then those that I use only for WDW, go back into the suitcase for next year. This way that stay clean and last longer. Also, all utilit type things (like flashlights) stay in the suitcase. So, it is really 40%% packed at all times, with the rest waiting till about a week before to be completed once the clothes are cleaned. :surfweb:

suchthe
06-01-2010, 09:43 PM
We're not going until November, but I already have a small bag that I've put a few random things into.

Mousemom
06-01-2010, 09:58 PM
We don't leave until the end of September but I have already started a box for misc. stuff. I like to buy those extras, sun tan lotion, rain ponchos, batteries, etc.. so I don't have a big expense right before we leave. I am also one who cleans my house, does all the laundry, makes sure the yard is perfectly manacured, the dog has a bath, go to the store to buy food to take, and the cars are all clean before we leave on vacation. I took 1/2 the day off on the friday before we leave so I can get everything done. It's the same reason I spend months planning our trip and then when we get there we mostly just "wing it." (except for ARD's. We always plan for these) Makes me happy and after being married for almost 28 years my husband just sits and smiles while I'm fantically doing everything.

Duckyiam71
06-01-2010, 10:46 PM
We leave in 18 days.:banana: I have had my suitcases pulled out for weeks. I have my packing list ready. I have to buy a few small things including a new bathing suit for DH. Then the Monday before we leave I will start laying the clothes out on the pool table(dont tell DH). This will be my first time packing for a trip without DH here, who is in the ARmy and packs everything so tight. And he is prepared for everything. so just a little nervous about forgetting something. But it will be ok because we will be at DW!

dbenlee
06-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Lets see..., we leave on Thursday which means I will pack tomorrow night.

Never have seen a reason to pack to far in advance. I have a list that I use each time and add and remove things as necessary. It won't take long.

Kara
06-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I am a compulsive packer but I always run around last minute lol. We are flying so I'm afraid I'll overpack:( Usually we drive.
My youngest never sleeps in his room, always with us or his brother so I'm getting out suitcases this weekend and throwing in the odds and ends I've picked up so far. i wish I was a cleaner lol. I usally come home to a scattered house because of all the things i've gone through at the last minute! LOL! Maybe this trip will be different!!

CandyHead09
06-01-2010, 11:51 PM
A month before the trip i start on the first of many packing lists alter it to what I really need buy everything make shirts and then about two days before I leave I start to put everything into my suitcase.

daisyduck123
06-02-2010, 12:39 AM
I am continuously packing, from one trip to the next.

We have two large Rubbermaid "Disney" bins. Whenever we return from a trip, many items (Disney visors/hats, messenger bag, annual passes, Tevas, matching Disney t-shirts etc.) go straight into the bins (well the shirts do after they get washed).

Also, anytime I come across anything that would be good for our next trip, I toss it right into a Disney bin.

By the time our next trip rolls around, I hardly have to hunt down anything for our trip, as most items are in the Disney bins.

PopCenturyPrincess
06-02-2010, 12:55 AM
I leave everthing on the hanger and throw it in the car.Underwear,socks ect. get put in a big duffle bag with my toohpaste,toothbrush ect. I usually just pack in the morning before leaving to meet my mom at the resort.This is the cool part about living in Florida and working at WDW!!!:ccat:

jesster64
06-02-2010, 01:55 AM
The day before, my wife, a week before

New Wave Dave
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Usually 10 days to 2 weeks we start getting it all together, and making sure we have everything on our checklist
We have revised it and now we bring things that we need without bringing stuff we don't need and never use
We also put our Disney stuff in a rubbermaid bin when we get home so its always in the same place (sunglass straps, fans and misters, small umbrella, poncho)

Kat73
06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
The second the trip is booked, the suitcase goes to an easily accessible spot in my closet/corner of the bedroom so I can start tossing stuff in. Anything I'm going to buy for the trip- toiletries, clothes, new shoes, etc- all get bought waaaay in advance otherwise I spend a fortune right before I leave.

This also includes books I will read on the trip- I usually pick 1-2 special trip books that I'm extra excited about and toss those in the bag.

I like having 4-6 months to "shop" around for the trip. I'll find little things, or new clothes, and toss them right in hte suitcase. Right now I've got a new tshirt and a new tank top purchased with a coupon at Kohls that I won't wear til the trip- it's so fun having new things at Disney! AND keeps me from spending a fortune once I get there ;)

I'm heading out Oct 18th, and I'll probably start packing the rest of hte clothes a couple weeks ahead of time.

Also, I'm with the group who loves coming home to a clean house! I clean like crazy before the trip!

altus
06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
My wife 3 days before

disneydreamingdebby
06-02-2010, 09:56 PM
I have a box set aside that I have specific items for our trip in - misters, etc. I keep a list of the items I need to pack when I think of them or read about them. :goodvibes

Otherwise, we get the suitcase out a few days before and start packing.

I have always been a heavy packer, but I am determined to not pack that heavy this time.

I am a compulsive packer but I always run around last minute lol. We are flying so I'm afraid I'll overpack:( Usually we drive.

A trick I heard years ago was to pack, then take half out. This has worked well for me. I tend to take many "just in case items." I think this is a good option for anyone who does select specific outfits for each day. BTW- when I have applied this principle, I have actually still had items that I did not wear or need.

lorac4disney
06-03-2010, 12:29 AM
My cleaning habit drives DH NUTS!!!! :rotfl2:

Of course, he thinks I get a little bit carried away with it but in a good way ;)

He won't dare make the mistake of yelling at me for it again after I went on a cleaning strike once.

powellrj
06-03-2010, 04:19 PM
we are leaving in about 18 hours, I guess I should think about getting the suitcases out soon and start packing. Seriously, we usually pack about an hour or two before we leave unless its really early in the morning and then we pack the night before.

Michigan_Minnie
06-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Shoot we're not going until Oct. but I'm so anxious I'd pack now if I could! ;)

LOL! We arent going til February and I'm itching to! I have a big rubbermaid tote that I'm using til then!:yay:

flamestarrdust
06-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I am going to start packing about a month before, which would be the middle of next month. It won't be the stuff we use all the time. That stuff I will pack about 1 to 2 weeks before.

shan136
06-25-2010, 11:10 PM
We are going Thanksgiving weekend, and in CT it's very cold at that time so all my summer clothes are usually in the attic. So my plan is to start packing in September when I usually put away my summer clothes. I have also already started collecting H&B items.

pmdeve
06-25-2010, 11:39 PM
We leave in 13 days.:yay: Got some stuff laid out on the bed. This weekend we'll get toiletries and I'll probably sneek in a new outfut for myself and DH. I don't finish packing till we go out the door, usually with arms full of stuff. Good thing we drive.

I have already started to clean the house. From the top to the bottom. It is so great to come home to a clean house!

camsmomE
06-25-2010, 11:57 PM
I read about the tote and I had to chime in.

We leave Aug. 2nd @5AM.
On May 1st I started filling ONE tote, by last week it became THREE overflowing totes, so I got the suitcaes out. I have been just filling them up with non-clothes, non-food items (like park stuff, emergency kit, glow bracelets, swim gear, etc...) daily. They stand in a corner of my 20-month daughter's room.

So I guess my answer is... 2 months out! :upsidedow

leebee
06-26-2010, 07:44 AM
I'm always packing!! I have a backpack in my closet that's nothing but "Disney stuff." Whenever I see something that makes me think "that'd be cool for Disney," I buy it and throw it in. This means I've already packed ponchos, glow sticks, mister fans, etc., and we also always have our travel toiletries bags packed, so those are ready to go, too. I'll do the actual packing on August 16th, as our flight is at 6am on August 17th.... CAN'T WAIT!!! :cool1::cool1:

dissybroad
06-26-2010, 09:01 AM
1 year, 5 months, and 6 days! Seriously, I don't have the suitcase out yet, but I have a box where I also accumulate stuff, some of which went right back in after our Oct. '09 trip.

JenniBB
06-26-2010, 09:09 AM

This is me too!! I LOVE coming home to a clean house!! Then the only thing to deal with is laundry.

We leave on a Sunday at noon - so Friday will be packing day, and Saturday will be CLEANING DAY! 8 weeks to go!! :banana:

carly3592
06-26-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm trying so hard to hold off for a couple more days to start packing.... packing for Disney is so much fun to me.

I'm leaving in 9 days, and I wanted to pack 3-4 days before leaving. But I don't think I'm gonna make it........

MikeinBoston
06-26-2010, 07:49 PM
I start shopping for the travel sized things a few weeks before. The main pack is 2 nights before usually.

mep319
06-26-2010, 09:02 PM
We usually go Wednesday to Wednesday...so I get my suitcases out the Saturday before...5 days prior I officially start packing. Doesn't mean I don't start shopping once the trip is booked though.

PirateNation
07-03-2010, 12:48 PM
We started planning months before. Brought the suitcase downstairs a month earlier to start throwing stuff in. That way if I think of something random it has a place to go.

-DisneyFreak-
07-04-2010, 04:08 PM
we usually pack a day before (: were slackers

rpbert1
07-04-2010, 04:31 PM
We leave Tuesday , got cases down today, so hopefully will be packed for tomorrow night and leave house 1pm Tues for Dublin airport and overnight stay prior to early morning flight at 6:30am

bolognehead
07-08-2010, 01:01 PM
we get our suitcases out a week before, then we have fun by packing it all the night before we leave for the drive. :P

darthspud
07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
I dont leave until Dec 2nd and already have things set aside that I have got on clearance etc. I keep a plastic bin to toss things into... I am a HUGE list maker so about a 2 weeks before I leave I will make a list of things that I have and a list of things that I need to get then I will make a list of clothes i want to pack and start to set them aside so I dont wear before I start to put things in my suitcase then about 2 days before i leave i made yet another list of things I still need to pack so I basically go thru my list of things I have list of things i need and list of clothes and make yet another list combining all 3 of those lists... then the night before I go I unpack everything that I've been tossing in cross checking all lists that I have made to make sure nothing got misplaced.... I am horribly OCD and it sounds like a lot of work but I find it relaxing and gets me ubber excited to leave...

sojj
07-08-2010, 02:15 PM
I usually bring the suitcases out and put them in the living room about a month before we leave. Everything that we have on the packing list gets put in the suitcase and crossed off the list. I shop for whatever else we need that's still on the list. One week before we go, I take everything out the suitcase and repack. I make sure everything on the list is packed and crossed off. I already have my packing list made and we don't leave until June 2011!:woohoo:

henderkm
07-08-2010, 10:53 PM
I take the suitcases out a couple of weeks ahead of time, but I don't pack until the day before. I always make a packing list and check to make sure I have everything on the list. As I pack I mark things off my list.

I used to start packing several days before, but I found myself taking things out of the suitcase to use and forgetting to put them back. I accidentally ended up leaving several things at home.

As I pack each suitcase I put it by the door we're going to leave out of to make sure we don't forget it. If we're driving I stack everything we're taking in one place and pack the car all at one time.

DisneyFirefly
07-09-2010, 12:00 AM
For my next trip, I took the day before I'm leaving off of work, so I'll do laundry and pack any last minute things, but I'll likely have my bag packed a couple days before that. I'm planning on buying toiletries that I can just toss out if they're not empty at the end of my trip, so that I don't have to worry about forgetting my toothbrush or something. My laptop will likely be one of the very last things packed.