Just starting out - what do I need???

Chlorine
Shock
Testing Kit
Long pole for brush and large net
Brush
Big net and little net
Thermometer

Where is the best place to buy all this stuff. Seemed like costco had good prices on chlorine and shock but I would love to hear from all my budget minded disers. I can't believe we are doing a pool...

dizneechic
05-28-2010, 12:48 PM
is it a above ground "easy set" style or a "real" pool?

We have an easy set one, we take ours down each year instead of winterizing it and have never needed to shock it. The only supplies we've needed are chlorine, skimmer net, brush/vac, floater for the chlorine tablets (unless you use powder), thermometer, and we found we often needed ph increase (ph+). Also if your just starting out I found the little dip style water test strips to be a lifesaver! Also since were in the north east and prefer warm water :rolleyes1 I bought a solar cover for ours... a GOOD one from the pool supply store vs some cheapie from wally world. We trimmed our cover to fit perfectly in the pool (edge to edge) and use that as our cover. Keeps the water sparkly clean, and holds the temp overnight. :thumbsup2

Oh, 1 more thing we found was a lifesaver... we use our Christmas lights timer on the cord for the filter pump. This way the pump goes on and runs for a few hours overnight and stays off during peak electrical rate hours. Sometimes we run the filter while the solar cover is on and its hot and were not in the pool to help circulate and heat the water even faster.

Make that 2 more things... if it's an easy set you may want an extra filter or 2. We often rinse ours out a few times before replacing to help save $, but they get filthy pretty quickly so we only rinse them a few times before tossing. We also use the anti fatigue mats under the ladder, this way kids rinse their feet before jumping in (keeps the water cleaner). You can kind of see them here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/dizneechic/pool.jpg

mommy2allyandaveri
05-28-2010, 12:59 PM
It is an inground pool. It is coming with a pool sweep and I believe the pump has a timer on it. Will likely need to run it a few hours per day.

EcbLovesMickey
05-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Personally I would see if you cen get a pool guy in the first few months to show you how to work all the chemicals and to get your pool balanced. Once you get it all worked out it's pretty easy to do yourself if you stay on top of it.

mrodgers
05-28-2010, 01:31 PM
I just have a little cheapie pool for the kids, but I've been doing the chlorine thing for 3-4 years now.

I'm looking at doing the salt water chlorine generator instead of the standard chlorine. From what I am reading, you basically fill the pool with the required amount of salt (available at Walmart, etc.) once in the start of summer, then let it run and cycle for a 24 hour (?) period for the salt to disolve and that's it for the whole season.

Sounds much easier than messing around with all the chemicals every week or so.

The salt water systems are not chlorine free, but it breaks down the sodium chloride and chlorinates the pool that way. The chlorine and sodium ions combine back together again into salt and the generator breaks them up again. It is a continuous cycle to maintain the chlorine level needed. Benefits I am reading is no chlorine smell and softer water that is easy on the skin and hair.

This is exactly what I've been doing today is researching the salt water systems.

QT Pooh
05-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Just starting out - what do I need???

Chlorine
Shock
Testing Kit
Long pole for brush and large net
Brush
Big net and little net
Thermometer

Where is the best place to buy all this stuff. Seemed like costco had good prices on chlorine and shock but I would love to hear from all my budget minded disers. I can't believe we are doing a pool...

They have test strips for pools that will tell you what you need (chlorine, etc.). We also get algaecide, ph+, clarifier, but it's really dependent on what your water's balance is. We use a solar cover and sometimes the solar fish to help retain the heat (we live up north so it's more of a necessity but it helps keep the pool chemicals in as well as the heat). You'll probably need to run your pump at least 4 hours a day in order to prevent algae buildup.

You'll also need someone with a fairly strong stomach to clean out any 'critters' that wind up in the pool (we fished a mole out of the skimmer this morning).

Have fun with it. They can be a lot of work but well worth it on a hot summer day!

3-MER
05-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Just a little of what I learned. Strips are a must. Get you Alkalanity in line first (baking soda is a good cheap way to raise it) Ph should stay in line with AK. Use Algecide ( i use a non foaming). Don't become a slave to your pool. It is suppose to be fun. Adjust water once a week, it will change daily. I shock every other week with the 3 in one (HTH)available at Walmart. Add algecide weekly and a maintenance clarifier. Have fun!

Christymarie222
05-28-2010, 02:57 PM
The pool stores where I live will test your water for you for free. Then they give you a print up of the water analysis and tell you exactly what to add to the water. Takes all the guesswork out of it :)
Maybe you could do that for a while til you get the hang of the chemicals??? Good luck and have fun with your new pool!

sjms71
05-28-2010, 03:15 PM
We get our pool strips at BJs 50 for like $10. Also get our chlorine there right now they have a coupon for the tablets. We always have a big bag of baking soda on hand and you can get that at Bj's or Costco for like $5-6. Have fun!

mommy2allyandaveri
05-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks, we are pretty excited. They won't break ground for a couple of weeks. Taking care of it is a little intimidating but I refuse to pay someone for something I know I can do.

Thanks for the tips!

bored
05-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Just opened mine up two weeks ago (inground pool) and have scooped three moles and 20+ frogs out of the skimmer so far! :scared1: I order my chemicals from the website intheswim.com. For this summer to start I bought 3" chlorine pucks, algecide, test strips, and 5 pounds of baking soda (ph control)!

I also buy the shock with algecide mixed in with it and shock it every 3rd week. Kill two birds with one stone that way.

HeatherC
05-28-2010, 04:10 PM
We put in a 27' round above ground last year and love it. We have a salt water generator and I have to say it is very easy to care for. We had to put 8 bags of salt in to start. Then once the salt level gets up to where it needs to be, it generates it's own chlorine. Last year we didn't have to do anything else!

This year we drained too much water off the cover and had to fill it a bit from the hose. Then it turned green! But...it was metal in the water. It cost me $15 for a metal remover and it was clear within two days.

Hopefully, we don't need any more supplies for the rest of the season.

I'd definitely recommend the salt water generator. It is more money upfront, but less in the long run.

Enjoy!

HeatherC
05-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Forgot to mention: a great forum board for help is troublefreepool.com.

kellia
05-28-2010, 05:24 PM
OMG- I am so glad we have an above ground pool after reading some of your posts!!! :eek:

Dh is in charge of chemicals, so I can't tell you there. We need the 1 inch chlorine tablets and I did find them online for much cheaper then Sam's or the pool places, so shop around. We also have some mineral pack that we use.

We live up north, and I like the water WARM or I won't get in it, especially since we usually just use it after work. I love our solar panals that we have on the roof to warm the water. We just opened ours this week. Saturday morning, it was 55 degrees. By Thursday, it was 80!! And that was without a solar cover.

I just got a new solar cover, those are very helpful for keeping the warm in it over night and also helps the chemicals from evaporating. I got a really nice one from www.solarcovers.com for really cheap, that was the best price I could find.

Have fun!

mhsjax
05-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks, we are pretty excited. They won't break ground for a couple of weeks. Taking care of it is a little intimidating but I refuse to pay someone for something I know I can do.

Thanks for the tips!

Have you thought about a salt water chlorinator? We love ours, no smelling like chlorine and its doesn't hurt your eyes and if you have any little blonds swimming, it won't turn their hair green. OUr next door neighbor had exema really bad and the salt water form our pool cleared it up during the summer when he would swim at our house.

WE also use a pool supply store to get our water tested. You have to be careful and find one that you can trust. A lot of them will try and sell you stuff that you don't need.

If you keep up with your pool it won't be too much work, you will love it.

Taja
05-28-2010, 08:39 PM
You're going to need to learn to clean your pool filter. I don't know of any that are self-cleaning! Any inventors ready to work on that? *LOL*

Even if your DH is the designated pool cleaner, you need to learn as well, and do it occasionally. Pool services are nice, but quite expensive. And--around here, anyway--they frequently sell their client lists to other pool services, so you never know what you're going to get--or if they're going to show up! :eek: One time I caught one person banging on my pool filter with a rock (did not have any tools) and another year my account was sold to three different pool services! :rolleyes:

Finally decided to do it myself. I already knew how to handle it, but time tends to be an issue, and I don't love sweating my little heart out in the summer (it can be 90 degrees by 5 a.m.) and freezing my tush in the winter! *LOL* I've been doing it for seven years now--and still don't love it, but at least I know it's done and done correctly! :)