PDA

View Full Version : Ice cream man $

gigi1976
05-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Trying to set up an ice cream man fund (jar) for the kids this summer, but I honestly have no idea how much things are from the truck now. It really wouldn't surprise me to be $5 for a chip burger, but I'm hoping that's not the case! It isn't going to be a regular thing maybe just a few times a month.

patsal
05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Around here most items are $2.50, but there are items that are $3/4/5

XYSRUS
05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
I can...the ice cream truck comes 3x/wk here. There are 2 different ones and the prices are .25-50 different. Adds up with our family. For 5 of us (1 kid hates ice cream, can you believe it?!?) we spend between $11-$15 bucks for each visit. Pricey but the memory is priceless. The kids wait at the end of the driveway with their eye a glow...now we go to Long Beach Island, New Jersey every year and the ice cream truck there is highway robbery-still pay it though! $20-$25. Nothing beats melted ice cream and sand being washed off in the salty water!

Kies99
05-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Just bought from the man the day before yesterday.

Popsicle items were $1.00 (The big, super size kind)
Ice Cream items were $1.25 - $1.50

Not sure what you call them, but we got the ice cream sandwiches that were two chocolate chip cookies with ice cream in the middle that had been rolled in chocolate chips. They were $1.25.

rdevine10
05-27-2010, 01:42 PM
The ice cream truck comes to our beach daily in the summer. Ranges from $3.50 to $1. Yes, they have about 5 options that are only $1.

I literally give my kids a set amount each week for ice cream. If they want it daily, then they will have to get $1 ice creams. If they only want it a couple times, then they can splurge, as this Momma refuses to spend $40 a week on ice cream :)

lumpy08
05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Our ice cream truck is outside the school everyday when we walk home. Most of us mom's pick Friday as our ice cream day. The other thing that one of the mom told me to do was bring the kids to the supermarket and give them the same amount of money you give to the ice cream truck. Then show them what they can pick out. The kids are usually amazed that they can get 12 ice creams for the same price as what they get for 1 ice cream off the truck.

mrodgers
05-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Wow, ice cream truck. I'd be like a little kid running after the ice cream man if I saw one. I haven't seen an ice cream truck since back in the 80's when I was a kid.

Just might have to ask Mom if the ice cream truck still comes around (we also had sno-cone truck back then) and take the kids in to visit so they can have the joys of chasing down the ice cream truck.

Eddie Murphy's speil on the ice cream truck is still the funniest thing I've heard in comedy.

LisaInNc
05-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Our ice cream truck has 1.00 items and I restrict my DD to that except on special occasions. I also have a rule that if one kid gets it they all do. A lot of kids play in my backyard or my neighbors. I won't have her eating ice cream in front of them so I have to make it cheap and honestly I find they don't really care they are just happy to get it.

Lisa

labdogs42
05-27-2010, 02:10 PM
I love our ice cream truck! Ours comes around the neighborhood on Fridays. Most things are $2 - $3. (our guy has the cookie sandwiches in two sizes -- one is $2, one is $3). I never had an ice cream truck growing up, so I love to buy ice cream for the ice cream truck. Sometimes I even hear the music and go running outside before my 5 year old! :thumbsup2 I like the idea of taking the kid to the store with the same amount of money. I'll have to do that one week. but, I do love to buy from the truck, so I'll probably keep doing that, too. At least it is only once a week and we aren't always there at the right time, so it isn't a total budget killer.

gigi1976
05-27-2010, 02:17 PM
I think we will do the grocery store thing too! I think it was Ray Romano that had a joke about telling his kids that whenever the ice cream man rang the bell it meant he was all out of ice cream!

budbeerlady
05-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Dd was so excited to see her first ice cream truck last week. (We live out in the sticks so I was shocked to hear it coming!) The cheapest item was $2 and it went up to $4. She bought some watermelon looking popsicle thing and ate it for dessert that night. She still talks about the ice cream truck and hopes it comes again so it was $2 well spent for our first ice cream truck. I grew up in the sticks also and never had an ice cream truck so we had to make a purchase.

LisaNJ25
05-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Ours has all different types of soft serve ice cream. Ranging from $1.75 to about $4.00.

dizneechic
05-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Our ice cream truck ranges from $2 - $5 and he comes around 3-4 times a week. We only get something once, maybe twice a summer. We have a several boxes of treats in our garage freezer that are ice cream truck treats (same things, just purchased at the grocery store) so if we're home and he comes around and it's an OK time (ie not 10 minutes before dinner) we let the kids pick out a treat from the freezer. It's much more budget friendly and they are having the same treats their neighborhood friends are.

The only thing I can't seem to find that my kids want are the Sponge Bob and Dora things with the bubblegum eyes. :rolleyes1

ChrisinNJ
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
I try to avoid the ice cream man at all costs.

Usually we end up spending between $11.00-$13.00 for all 5 of us. I would rather go to Dairy Queen or Ralph's Italian ice stand for that much $$

Today at ShopRite, I bought Marinos Italian ice cups (6 pack for $1.99), Dole Ice Pops, and Klondike Bars. Plus we have already had one trip to Ralph's this week... I try to show my kids that for the $ we can get a much better product/value, and use the leftover $$ to do something fun!! :)

EclecticWAHM
05-27-2010, 04:52 PM
We gave up on the ice cream man. It's just too darn expensive when I can get the same Good Humor stuff at the grocery store for 1/4 of the price. I just keep treats around and then the kids don't bug me for ice cream man money. It just seems like such a waste.

ptmmg
05-27-2010, 05:10 PM
our ice cream man comes everyday during the summer around 4:30 he has everything from small soft serve ice cream and slushes that are $1 to more novelty kinds that are up to $3 most things are under $2

bas71873
05-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Our truck, which right now comes every Thursday....RIGHT NOW in fact, things are $1, $2 and $3. In the summer they stop at the pool and cruise the 'hood twice a day. DD has to use her allowance if she wants anything more than once a week and we stick to the dollar menu :goodvibes

Mom2Ben02
05-27-2010, 06:10 PM
We have a scary ice cream man in our neighborhood. The truck still has it's old stickers on it, was a painting van. They are partially covered with pics of the ice cream - which are ripped off pieces of the cardboard boxes the ice cream bars came in. Oh, and the prices are written on the walls of the truck in Sharpie marker. It all just SCREAMS "pedophile chic".

In other words, we don't buy from the ice cream man. :rolleyes:

kellia
05-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Dd was nice and bought her little brothers each a popsicle from the ice cream truck on the way home from school a couple weeks ago. She said they were $4 each! She said she wasn't being nice again! ;)

I've got the freezer stocked now, though, so they'll have cheaper options on hand. I think I only bought something from the ice cream truck for dd once in her life, she now understands why! At our old neighborhood, the ice cream truck had music that was broken, it sounded like a music box out of a haunted house!

musclemouse
05-30-2010, 09:16 PM
I start singing REALLY LOUDLY when I hear the ice cream man pull into our community. I have good ears, so I hear it before the kids do. I think they caught on to that fairly quick. Now I have to come up with another plan. I cringe at the sound of the music. Marc is a nice nice man and I almost feel obligated to buy from him DAILY! God help me. We need a plan man!

GraysMom
05-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I love our ice cream truck! Ours comes around the neighborhood on Fridays. Most things are $2 - $3. (our guy has the cookie sandwiches in two sizes -- one is $2, one is $3). I never had an ice cream truck growing up, so I love to buy ice cream for the ice cream truck. Sometimes I even hear the music and go running outside before my 5 year old! :thumbsup2 I like the idea of taking the kid to the store with the same amount of money. I'll have to do that one week. but, I do love to buy from the truck, so I'll probably keep doing that, too. At least it is only once a week and we aren't always there at the right time, so it isn't a total budget killer.

Jessica, I wonder if it's the same truck we have? We bought a snow cone for $2 last week. A woman was driving it, and we've seen it several times since then. There is also another one with Scooby Doo that went through the other night.

sasywtch
05-30-2010, 11:07 PM
As a pp said, we have a scary looking ice cream man with an old dirty van. However, a kid that just graduated from high school redid an old volkswagon which looks in cherry condition in a mint green color. He put a freezer box on the back and plays music from tv (Beverly Hillbillies, Brady Bunch etc). His friend was riding with him in a dog outfit but in that heat, that didn't last long. I have no problem buying from him and it's kinda nice seeing some kid trying to make some $$.
If you want to save money for the ice cream man and want to stay on a budget, maybe you could do every other week? Ours here run about $3 each.

aceys_h0ney
05-31-2010, 07:23 AM
Our icecream truck (well it's a van) makes me laugh everytime we see it. It is the most beat up jallopy of a vehicle you have ever seen. The music skips and shuts off often so they stop until it gets going again to make sure everyone hears it. They have handwritten signs taped to the side with duct tape. Then there is the poor kid in the back who is really bad at math. Last time I handed him the money and ordered, he just looked at me for a good 2 minutes. I finally had to ask if he actually had any ice cream in the truck then he came back to reality. I still love it though, I had not seen an ice cream truck since I was a kid so everytime we hear them coming I am taken back to my childhood.

Anyway I have 4 kids and the jallopy comes by maybe once a week in our neighborhood their items are between .25-2.00 so I just let them pick whatever. I have one kid who loves the cheap stuff and two that love the more expensive stuff. Then I have my hubby who wants two of everything. If it comes more then once a week I am a mean momma and don't let them get anything the second time.

aceys_h0ney
05-31-2010, 07:25 AM
We have a scary ice cream man in our neighborhood. The truck still has it's old stickers on it, was a painting van. They are partially covered with pics of the ice cream - which are ripped off pieces of the cardboard boxes the ice cream bars came in. Oh, and the prices are written on the walls of the truck in Sharpie marker. It all just SCREAMS "pedophile chic".

In other words, we don't buy from the ice cream man. :rolleyes:

:rotfl: I thought ours was bad! The people in ours are not creepy though. I always get the impression that the kid in the back is forced by his mom to work the back, he seems to not like it so much.

santa's surpriz
05-31-2010, 09:18 AM
:rotfl: I thought ours was bad! The people in ours are not creepy though. I always get the impression that the kid in the back is forced by his mom to work the back, he seems to not like it so much.

Sounds like ours, we have a few that come around. A dumpy van, you know the type that we think twice about parking next to and then there is " I used to be an ax-murderer" type serving the ice cream. Totally gives me the creeps. I buy the good humor stuff and give to the kids when the ice cream man comes.

I have often wondered, what an easy business this would be. They make a fortunes selling 1 ice cream for the same price I can buy a box for. Now if I can figure how to put a freezer in the back of my car....I can make enough to pay of my student loans in probably 2 summers!

mom2val
05-31-2010, 10:06 AM
I hate ours! He comes between 7 - 8 pm. He flies down our street. DD gets so upset bc by the time she's in from the backyard to tell us she hears him- he is long gone! The only way we get anything is if I sit outside by the street and wave the jerk down. It is crazy bc he gets a ton of sales when he does stop. We live in a small subdivision and I don't know why he even bothers coming here bc he drives the whole neighborhood in less than 2 mins then leaves. It ticks all the moms off!

MomofSixinSC
05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
One of the benefits of having food sensitivities. My dc know the ice cream truck won't have stuff they can have. They know I buy them treats when we can afford them.

tink576
05-31-2010, 10:21 AM
I've never once gotten Ice Cream from the Ice Cream Man. My parents always said they could buy a lot more of whatever we wanted at the store then from him, so we had the option that every time we heard the music we could just go inside and grab one from the freezer.

imsayin
05-31-2010, 12:59 PM
I've never once gotten Ice Cream from the Ice Cream Man. My parents always said they could buy a lot more of whatever we wanted at the store then from him.

This is what I taught my kids. Great time for a lesson in budgeting! You can have 1 item from the ice cream truck or we can have 6 items from the grocery store. Watch for buy-one-get-one-free sales on ice cream bars, etc. My kids are smart, thus we skipped the ice cream truck.

Mom2micayla
05-31-2010, 03:05 PM
I grew up in the sticks too so we never had an ice cream truck come by.

I live in a different state and in the suburbs now, and one comes by almost every night in our neighborhood. I've never let my kids buy from him, though. I have 4 kids and can't stand the thought of spending $10+ for them to have a popsicle. Popsicles are on sale right now for $.88/box at Fry's. It's just too hard to argue that math! :goodvibes

krcit
05-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Mr Softee comes by my house about twice a day:thumbsup2 I limit them getting it to about once a week(or twice if I want something:rotfl2:)

aprilgail2
05-31-2010, 08:11 PM
I can...the ice cream truck comes 3x/wk here. !

WOW, 3 times a WEEK lol...ours comes at least 4 times a DAY. We have Mr Softee who comes every night between 8-10pm and then random other truck that have the bar type ice cream come throughout the day- sometimes one will be passing the other coming opposite ways down the street!
Mr. Softee usually runs me at least 10.00 for 3 people since my daughter usually gets a shake and thats 4.00 each. The other trucks have things ranging from 1.00-4.00. We usually get the ice cream man about 3-4 times a week throughout the summer- usually Mr Softee at night time!

Berrie
05-31-2010, 08:41 PM
The ice cream truck hits us at LEAST once a day.

Sometimes twice.

Growing up, we NEVER bought from the ice cream truck. Not even once.

My mom stocked our freezer with all sorts of ice cream/frozen treats. When that ice cream music played and every other kid ram for $$, we ran for Mom.

We got to pick out one treat every time we were outside playing and the ice cream man came. We'd be slurping ice cream along with every other kid on the block. I remember going to the grocery store and getting to pick out all kinds of boxes of exotic and fun ice cream treats. Never was allowed to eat any of it until that ice cream music played though.

Mom saved a ton of $$ that way..

design_mom
05-31-2010, 09:05 PM
We've never bought from our ice cream man. He comes really late (after most of the neighborhood kids are in bed) and drives WAY too fast. I don't think we could catch him if we tried.

One mom stopped him one night and suggested that he would sell more if he came earlier and slowed down. And the ice cream man apparently gave her an earful for "telling him how to run his business." Apparently he's not a very nice guy on top of the rest. We wouldn't buy now on the principle of the thing!

Ashley Kees
06-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Ugh. I think I could could count on my hands the number of times the ice cream man drove by when I was a kid in Georgia. These days in TX, we have FOUR ice cream men, two trucks and 2 pushcarts, who come by at least once each every single day of the year. The pushcart guys actually show up CHRISTMAS DAY. It's awful. My kids call them the "noise" trucks. I live in an apartment complex with a high turnover, so there's always somebody buying, which is why they come. After 10 years of this, I am numb to the novelty.

tink576
06-01-2010, 09:23 AM
The neighbor girls I babysit for years thought the music meant it was time to spontaneously break into ballet...yea...lol...we were dying the first time it happened, the never associated ice cream with it, lol

ShannonMB
06-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Wow, sounds like some of your neighborhoods are overly saturated with ice cream trucks! We see an ice cream truck maybe a couple times of week around here in high summer, so the novelty is still there for us. Every time I hear the tinkling of the music on a hot summer day, I'm transported to my childhood and I'm as excited as DD to get in and grab the money. The mad dash to get the funds and get out there before he leaves is like an adrenaline rush! :laughing:

I understand that we can buy treats cheaper at the store, and I always have some kind of popsicle in the freezer anyway. But the ice cream man remains one of the fond memories from my childhood that I am happy to share with DD. I think I'm going to start leaving a couple dollars right inside the front door, now that you guys are getting me thinking about it. Of course I'm SURE I'd feel differently if the truck was doing a twice-daily cruise through the 'hood!

PurplePinkleEater
06-01-2010, 01:37 PM
There are two that come through here. They're both creepy. I don't buy from them. We have two or three boxes of treats in the freezer, anyway, so the kids are not crying about it.

What makes me mad, though, is them coming through here at 9 o'clock at night.

design_mom
06-01-2010, 01:58 PM

Do we live in the same neighborhood? That's when they come through here, too... and driving 40mph on our 25mph street!

aprilgail2
06-01-2010, 04:08 PM

THat is our favorite time to buy!!!