PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip at Sonic?

dex08
05-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Just curious if you tip the employees who bring your food out to you at Sonic Drive Ins??

DH and I are having a debate about this and I'm wondering what everyone else does.

java
05-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Yes I tip if they bring it to the car-
If you don't want to tip do drive thru
jmho

JB2K
05-27-2010, 08:13 AM
I've been patronizing Sonic Drive-Ins for over 30 years and I never tip, because all Sonic employees earn the same wages (most waiters/waitresses in a traditional restaurant setting only earn a couple of dollars an hour meaning they are working for tips).

For the previous poster who said they tipped because the food was brought to them, do you also do the same thing at Hardee's/Carl's Jr.?

Shyvioletisme
05-27-2010, 08:22 AM
nope. Never tipped at Sonic and don't know anyone else who has either. All Sonic employees get paid at least minimum wage so it is not like they are getting menial restaurant salaries.

lulubelle6188
05-27-2010, 08:35 AM
It's untrue that all workers make minimuim wage or the same pay. I've worked at Sonic for over 10 years and have always depended on tips. We did make minimuim wage up until the last wage increase this past July. At the Sonic I work at people that had been there got to keep what they were making ( I make $6.70 an hour) but all new hires make waitress pay plus a dollar (which is $3.13 here) we have about 5 carhops making that. I know carhops that were making that before the increase at other Sonics though. We also claim and pay taxes on tips. In fact Sonic just made a deal with the IRS and we had to sign paper agreeements to it. I guess I am biased and on the drive thru I understand, but not when we bring your food out. I'm not saying you should tip 20% or a bad server. Most people leave the change up to the dollar or a dollar. I think that is great. Some people leave more and that's certainly welcome ;) I would say a little over half of people tip.
Tiffany

Mickeypooh99
05-27-2010, 08:44 AM
It's untrue that all workers make minimuim wage or the same pay. I've worked at Sonic for over 10 years and have always depended on tips. We did make minimuim wage up until the last wage increase this past July. At the Sonic I work at people that had been there got to keep what they were making ( I make $6.70 an hour) but all new hires make waitress pay plus a dollar (which is $3.13 here) we have about 5 carhops making that. I know carhops that were making that before the increase at other Sonics though. We also claim and pay taxes on tips. In fact Sonic just made a deal with the IRS and we had to sign paper agreeements to it. I guess I am biased and on the drive thru I understand, but not when we bring your food out. I'm not saying you should tip 20% or a bad server. Most people leave the change up to the dollar or a dollar. I think that is great. Some people leave more and that's certainly welcome ;) I would say a little over half of people tip.
Tiffany

At our Sonic we order and pay before we get our food. I'm not going to tip before I see what the service is like. They bring the food out in a bag, and we never see them again. If they brought the food on a tray, and then returned to ask how our meal was and pick up the tray I would probably leave a tip on the tray.

JennyG
05-27-2010, 08:44 AM
It depends if we leave a tip or not at Sonic.

If we are paying with cash and have change left over... we try to gather up enough to give the server $1.00. If we are paying by debit or credit... then there is no tip. We too only tip when they come out to the car, not at the drive through.

Most of the time if I don't have cash, I wont go to Sonic... because I feel guilty to leave them high and dry.

I think we feel this way because our family has been going to Sonic since we were in grade school and feel that tipping is customary.

Although, we don't judge the customers who don't tip. It's just a matter of what you feel comfortable doing!

Kay1
05-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Tiffany

Thank you for clearing that up,

:)

TexasTom
05-27-2010, 08:51 AM
I always tip at Sonic. But the way it's set up, not tipping is okay too.

nashville_minnie
05-27-2010, 09:09 AM
I often pull in there by myself & just get a drink & usually on those trips I don't tip.

But if I am with someone else & we get food, we usually give 50 cents to one buck.

WeDisney4
05-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I voted Yes! :thumbsup2

tar heel
05-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Wouldn't dream of not tipping if they bring it to my car. I usually just round up my bill if I'm alone or do a dollar if I have kids with me. I don't tip when I drive through.

cats mom
05-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Yes I tip if they bring it to the car-
If you don't want to tip do drive thru
jmho

Except not all Sonic's have a drive thru window. :confused3

But the thing I dislike even more at the one near us is: even if you go inside, you don't have the option of walking up to a counter, ordering, and taking your food home or to your table yourself sans tip. You have to call on a phone to order, then one of the hops brings your food out to you.

I do tip at Sonic, but I admit that I do so rather begrudgingly because I dislike the heavy handed pressure to tip in a fast food setting. And I also probably go there less often than I would otherwise.

maleficentmom
05-27-2010, 10:12 AM
I do tip usually .25-.50, i usually get 5.oo worth of drinks,no food.(no drive thru here either). Also,Sonic makes it seem like the tip is unnecessary by not giving you a place to enter one on the screen if you use a cc....so I never knew if you were really supposed to tip, but i usually do.

sillysmom
05-27-2010, 10:13 AM
I am honestly shocked that some people don't tip at Sonic. I mean come on...they come out and deliver your order to your window, whatever the weather, and in my experience are always very helpful and friendly. We tip anyone that serves us food, the only exclusion would be a fast food restaurant. We also tip at the buffets the people that clean up our table. Gosh, I am really flabbergasted that some people mention that because they make minimum wage they don't tip. I'm quite sure that anyone who makes minimum wage, is struggling in this economy. IMO, If you can afford to go out to eat, you could afford to tip someone at least something.

Goofyzgurl
05-27-2010, 10:26 AM
I have been tipping at Sonics, but like pp said, they just bring out your food, they don't come back to refill my drink, clear away the plates, etc like waitress do.

I'm quite sure that anyone who makes minimum wage, is struggling in this economy. IMO, If you can afford to go out to eat, you could afford to tip someone at least something.

I don't think we should base our tips on whether the person is struggling.
There are plenty of people who make min wage and struggling but I'm not going to tip every one of them. If they make min wage, then do I therefore have to tip everyone that helps me, the girl that checks me out at grocery stores, the bagger, etc...where do we draw the line? Yes I do tip waitress b/c they don't make min wage and they are dependent on the tip based on their service.

mster425
05-27-2010, 10:27 AM
We tip anyone that serves us food, the only exclusion would be a fast food restaurant.

but isn't that exactly what Sonic is? :confused3

I've only been through the drive through, and only one time at that, but it seemed like fast food to me. I don't know that it would occur to me to tip there to be honest, for that reason, and I tip everyone!

And if those kids on skates aren't making minimum wage, that's a shame! They should be making hazard pay flying around on those things!

HunnyPots
05-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Nope. Never have, never will. It's fast food, plain and simple. My son works every bit as hard at McDonalds (and yes, he often delivers food to cars during busy times) and does not receive or expect tips.

Praise2Him
05-27-2010, 10:37 AM
I tip if I order food, but just for a drink, no. I save all my change (for Disney :thumbsup2), so I tip at least $1. And I hate it when the server says, "Do you need your change?" because, yes, I do; but they're basically asking for a tip. I used to feel guilty and say "no, you can keep it" but now I don't. ;)

Praying Colonel
05-27-2010, 10:45 AM
If they bring it to my car, I tip. That includes Sonic and any other restaurant that does curbside pickup.

DianeV
05-27-2010, 10:47 AM
We always tip at Sonic but we always tip at buffets too

cats mom
05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
We tip anyone that serves us food, the only exclusion would be a fast food restaurant.

But that's exactly what Sonic is... a fast food joint.
It's just that they've chosen to set it up in a way that encourages tipping. Maybe McDonalds et al will follow suit, and tips will become the norm at all fast food joints.

I don't have any problem tipping car hops at Sonic if I choose to use that service. I do have a problem when a Sonic location is set up such that there is no other choice. ie: no drive thru window, and no walk in and pick up your own food option.

ICF
05-27-2010, 11:04 AM
We tip anyone that serves us food, the only exclusion would be a fast food restaurant. We also tip at the buffets the people that clean up our table. Gosh, I am really flabbergasted that some people mention that because they make minimum wage they don't tip. I'm quite sure that anyone who makes minimum wage, is struggling in this economy. IMO, If you can afford to go out to eat, you could afford to tip someone at least something.

Why not fastfood places? They sometimes bring it to your tables such as Hardees or if you have special order food that takes longer to get ready.

What about a 'fast food place' such as CiCi's where there are people that come clear your dirty plates but dont actually get you your drinks or food?

Justsyd2
05-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't dream of not tipping at Sonic, and I'm very surprised at how other people justify not tipping. I agree with the person who said not to eat out if you can't afford a tip. The servers are not paid well at all, and they depend on tips. I tip anyone who does a service for me simply because it's my choice if I want to go to their establishment. I would never do so and make an excuse for not tipping. Just my opinion. :lmao:

rmom50
05-27-2010, 11:11 AM
yes tip. if someone is serving you, you tip them. I am honestly surprised that anyone doesn't. :)

vickalamode
05-27-2010, 11:16 AM
When they opened the first Sonic in MA last summer, my friends and I went to the part where you park and they bring it to your car...and since that was the first Sonic ever in our area, most people had never been and the guy who brought us the food told us tipping was allowed...I honestly wasn't considering tipping because it's fast-food (and I'm a waitress!), but it makes sense to leave them SOMETHING since they do bring it out to you and then will go and get and bring you any condiments you request after they already brought the food

ncmickeyluvr
05-27-2010, 11:29 AM
My neice works as a car hop at Sonic and only makes $3.50 an hour!!! It is definitely a tipped position.

mmouse1239
05-27-2010, 11:32 AM
I worked as a waitress in high school and college. Most people would be amazed at how cheap people are. Some of the biggest offenders of not leaving tips are people who can easily afford it. My theory is, if you can afford to eat out, then you can afford to tip. I won't eat out with people who don't tip. It's ridiculous. There is a definite difference when someone regularly delivers your food to you....not like ordering and picking up at a counter. JMHO

MrsHeg
05-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes I always tip, but not as much as I would tip for a sit down meal.

JamesMom
05-27-2010, 11:58 AM
It never occured to me to tip at Sonic and I go at least 1-2x a week.
Now, sometimes school groups will do fundraisers (with signage) and I tip them.
Never had a carhop look at me strange or 'linger' waiting for a tip. Even on the credit card receipt there is no place to write in a tip.
Wow. I'll have to ask around.

Nik's Mom
05-27-2010, 11:59 AM
I go through the drive-thru and do not tip. I can see both points of view for those of you who park.

sillysmom
05-27-2010, 12:16 PM
When I said I didn't tip at fast food restaurants, I meant like McDonalds and places where you order at the counter and get your own food. If I go to the drive-through and someone brings out my bag, I always give them a $1. No, I don't tip people at Sonic like I would at a sit down restaurant. Sit down restaurant servers, do give more of a service. And for the poster that mentioned that people shouldn't always tip a server just because they make minimum wage, I disagree. I'm also one of those people that if I go out on a holiday, I tip much more to the people working. Thats just me. I have always been a very sensitive and thoughtful patron when it comes to tipping. My mother was a waitress my entire life and relied on those tips greatly. As kids, we always knew how to behave in a restaurant. As adults we have always showed our appreciation for service with a gracious tip.

Nik's Mom
05-27-2010, 12:29 PM
sillysmom, why do you tip at the drive through window at Sonics, but not when you go to a place like Mc Donalds. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious. I personally do not tip at a drive through window. But I'm a very generous tipper under other circumstances.

Mickeypooh99
05-27-2010, 12:40 PM
It never occured to me to tip at Sonic and I go at least 1-2x a week.
Now, sometimes school groups will do fundraisers (with signage) and I tip them.
Never had a carhop look at me strange or 'linger' waiting for a tip. Even on the credit card receipt there is no place to write in a tip. Wow. I'll have to ask around.

This seems like the biggest point to me. If they want a tip they need to give a person paying credit a chance to tip. I never have cash with me.

I can afford a tip, and I do leave big tips in a sit down restaurant. Also like I said before they just hand you a bag and never come back. If they left a tray I would try to scrape up some change to leave on the tray at the end of the meal (which is when tipping should occur.)

sillysmom
05-27-2010, 12:53 PM
At Sonic, I don't go to the drive through, I go where you order and the person brings at your food. At McDonald, I go to the counter and get my own food. Its different when someone actually has to come out to your car and deliver your food and get you anything else you may need. On the rare occasion that I go to the drive though anywhere, if I have to pull over and they need to bring my bag out to me, as I said I do give the person $1. And again, thats just me, if you are comfortable doing what your doing, thats great. The OP just asked our opinion, and thats what I did. :-)

LoriABil
05-27-2010, 12:58 PM
I tip at Sonic, but I have never had a carhop act like they expected it. Usually, it's around 10%, but I have to admit, I'm not as exact with it as I'd be at a full service restauraunt.

Nik's Mom
05-27-2010, 01:00 PM
At Sonic, I don't go to the drive through, I go where you order and you the person brings at your food. At McDonald, I go to the counter and get my own food. Its different when someone actually has to come out to your car and deliver your food and get you anything else you may need. On the rare occasion that I go to the drive though anywhere, if I have to pull over and they need to bring my bag out to me, as I said I do give the person $1. And again, thats just me, if you are comfortable doing what your doing, thats great. The OP just asked our opinion, and thats what I did. :-)

Oh, I see what you are saying. I thought you were saying you tip drive-thru service at Sonics, but not at other places. :)

sk!mom
05-27-2010, 01:02 PM
I used to always tip although usually only the change up to an even dollar amount.

Now that Sonic has the card readers at the stations, not always. Only because sometimes I stop at Sonic without any cash.

I'm actually surprised to hear that Sonic can pay their Car Hops less than minimum wage as there is no opportunity to tip if you use the card readers unless you happen to have cash- no tip line on the receipt.

The lack of a tip line actually made me wonder if I'd been tipping for years when Sonic didn't really intend for the Car Hops to get tips.

englishteacha
05-27-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm a northern girl and have never been to a Sonic. How does it work? Do you order via a machine or does the carhop take your order? Are there tables to sit at or must you eat in the car?

mrsklamc
05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
There is usually a drive through, but they are known for being a "drive in." There is a speaker at each parking spot, you order through that and then they bring the food to you. You pay the server and they also bring you straws, ketchup, etc. The ones I have eaten at the server comes back around later and asks if they can get you anything else and offers you mints.

I have seen ones that have picnic tables, sometimes the tables have their own little 'speaker.' When I lived in Topeka, KS they also had a playground and sand volleyball court for their patrons in the summer.

java
05-27-2010, 01:52 PM
For the previous poster who said they tipped because the food was brought to them, do you also do the same thing at Hardee's/Carl's Jr.?

We don't go to Hardee's or Carl's Jr. - if they bring it out to my car I would tip. But I did get Applebee's to go and tipped there.

sk!mom
05-27-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm a northern girl and have never been to a Sonic. How does it work? Do you order via a machine or does the carhop take your order? Are there tables to sit at or must you eat in the car?

Sonics around me have one or two picnic tables but you would be eating surrounded by cars and exhaust so I have never used them and have only ever seen kids who walked to Sonic use them.

You order via an intercom and the Car Hop brings out the order. You can pay the Car Hop or you can pay using a car reader at each station.

I've never had a Car Hop come back around but we rarely get food from there. It's normally just a drink during Happy Hour and drive away. On the rare ocassion that we get food, we take it and leave.

LaDonna
05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
I worked at Sonic for years, now this is coming from a very cheap person(I myself am not a big tipper, meaning I don't tip everyone and their brother) but I never expected tips from anyone. I'd say about half the people did tip, and it was usually around 5-10%. I was happy with that. I DO however think they deserve a tip if the weather is disgusting, hot, etc. It is absolutely MISERABLE working in some weather conditions, and yes I've worked at McDonalds and such too, and Sonic is MUCH harder! I never skated, but even the walking in and out all day long was very tiring after even a 3 hour shift! I would have never worked there if they paid less than minimum wage, it just wouldn't have been worth it, not enough tips to make up for it. I hate hearing they are doing that now.
To answer the original ? I sometimes tip, if I have any extra change/cash on me.

PrincessBelle09
05-27-2010, 04:59 PM
For car service, I absolutely tip. Not 15-20%, but I think 5-10% is reasonable.

Claire&TheBoys
05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
I've never tipped at Sonic. We sometimes go through the drive-thru, sometimes order at the drive-in stall (and drive away - we never sit there and eat in the car), sometimes go up to the picnic tables and order there. I almost always run my debit card and rarely carry cash. It's never occurred to me to tip them. It's just fast food.

kimsuenew
05-27-2010, 05:33 PM
If they bring it to my car, I tip. That includes Sonic and any other restaurant that does curbside pickup.

We always tip at Sonic but we always tip at buffets too

ITA!:thumbsup2

Now as for Sonic... if we simply use the drive-thru than we do not tip of course but when we "park" and they bring our food and/or drinks to us we tip! I must say that it never occured to us not to.

PrincessBelle09
05-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Oh, as for other curbside takeaway services, please always tip. Most restaurants pay the takeaway folks the same amount as the servers and they do nearly the same amount of work per customer as a server. A lot of people do not seem to realize that a 10% or tip is customary for takeaway service.

Taja
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Except not all Sonic's have a drive thru window. :confused3

But the thing I dislike even more at the one near us is: even if you go inside, you don't have the option of walking up to a counter, ordering, and taking your food home or to your table yourself sans tip. You have to call on a phone to order, then one of the hops brings your food out to you.

I do tip at Sonic, but I admit that I do so rather begrudgingly because I dislike the heavy handed pressure to tip in a fast food setting. And I also probably go there less often than I would otherwise.

Most of the Sonic's here are set up so the car hops bring your food out to you--even at the drive-thru window! The window usually is very high up and does not open. So I tip about 10% of the total before tax.

There is one in Tempe that does (or did two years ago!) have a regular drive-thru window, and I did not tip there.

I tend to agree with cats mom--I tip grudgingly, because there should be no reason for the drive-thru to require that someone bring your food unless there extenuating circumstances. Sonic does apply pressure to encourage tipping.

And I rarely go there for that reason. Have to really crave something before I'll stop there! *LOL*

deerhart
05-27-2010, 09:11 PM
in our state, waiters/waitresses must be paid minimum wage for every hour worked. So if they don't get tipped, the place of employment must make up the difference.

With that said, I have never seen anyone tip at Sonic, I always pay by debit card (I rarely if ever have cash) and there is no place to tip. But around here, you will make more then minimum wage at quite a few fast food restaurants.

kaytieeldr
05-27-2010, 10:33 PM
"The" Sonic here - the only one in New England, just a few miles from where I live, thank you, Sonic planners :teeth: has a regular-height drive-through. I was in a long, slow line one day, to the point where workers were bringing orders out to the cars waiting in line. At least, someone brought out my lonely Diet Dr Pepper - thank you, Sonic food buyers :teeth:. Although I normally don't tip at the drive-through, I did in this case. Somebody brought my food to me.

cats mom
05-28-2010, 02:19 AM

Think an old fashioned drive up where you pull into a parking spot, order via intercom, and a car hop brings your order to your car.

There are almost always a few outdoor tables, but you still order via intercom, and your order is brought to your table.

Most Sonic locations don't have indoor seating, but we used to live by one that did. It resembled any other fast food joint inside, except there was a glass wall between the customer tables and the counter/kitchen area; you had to pick up a phone, call in your order, and then someone would bring it to you. So even if you were getting food to go, and you chose to get out of your car and go inside to order, the way it was set up made you feel like you should still tip (at least it did me).

I've only been to a Sonic drive thru once since we've never lived near a location that had one, but IIRC it was like Taja described. So even using the drive thru, we had to pull forward and wait for a car hop to bring our order to us.

I just think Sonic has gone out of their way to set themselves up as a place where tips are expected, even though they could easily make most things more like a typical fast food place, thus not pressuring people to tip.

mommyof2princesses
05-28-2010, 06:15 AM
I have never tipped at Sonic and never plan to. Like other posters said, it is fast food. I also don't tip at ice cream shops, hardees or car washes. I don't tip the person bagging my groceries either, although usually I am the one bagging. I personally think tipping has gotten out of hand. Everyone these days has a tip jar. Really? Are we going to start tipping the post man, he does bring us the mail? How about UPS, they actually bring it right to the door, not just the mailbox. How about pizza places? If you order a pizza and they expect you to come get it from the counter, are you gonna tip too?

If we go somewhere to eat and order from a menu, and someone waits on us and refills our drinks then I will tip, and I will tip 20% unless the water didn't do their job then I will tip a little less.

JB2K
05-28-2010, 08:47 AM
I see this is going to turn into another "cultural" tipping thread...

Seriously, let's break it down:

A lot of us typically pay at Sonic by swiping a credit/debit card in the reader on the menu board -- unlike full-service restaurants, this method of pay doesn't allow for tips, otherwise, Sonic corporate would have probably done something, by now.

It is a fast food restaurant, meaning once the carhop brings you the sack of food, they're finished with you. Period. That, IMO, is not worth an additional 50 cents.

JB2K
05-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Really? Are we going to start tipping the post man, he does bring us the mail? How about UPS, they actually bring it right to the door, not just the mailbox. How about pizza places? If you order a pizza and they expect you to come get it from the counter, are you gonna tip too?

You obviously haven't been here around the holidays -- there is a legion of folks, right here on the BB who tip their letter carriers, very well...

mrsklamc
05-28-2010, 08:50 AM
once the carhop brings you the sack of food, they're finished with you. Period. That, IMO, is not worth an additional 50 cents.
[/LIST]

Again, that's not been my experience at Sonic.

mrsklamc
05-28-2010, 08:51 AM
You obviously haven't been here around the holidays -- there is a legion of folks, right here on the BB who tip their letter carriers, very well...

I had that same thought earlier and didn't have the chance to post.

cats mom
05-28-2010, 09:17 AM
I just caught one of those cutesy little snippets on the news. The subject? Return of the car hop.

They were reporting from a Ruby's in Anaheim, but they said mom and pop joints across the country are bringing them back as well.

They mentioned a return to simpler times as one reason, but they also threw out the potential to make great tips.

See, I predicted more places going the tips route earlier in this thread... I just didn't know it would be confirmed the very next day. :rotfl:

Short article on Ruby's Anaheim w/car hops:
http://fastfood.freedomblogging.com/2009/08/31/rubys-diner-opening-carhop-eatery-in-anaheim/31999/

JB2K
05-28-2010, 09:17 AM
We don't go to Hardee's or Carl's Jr. - if they bring it out to my car I would tip.

Obviously, you must be from "somewhere up north"...

Hardee's and Carl's Jr. (which are related), do not have carhop service -- they are fast food restaurants where the tray of food is brought to your table.

Plus, neither brand is located in New Jersey and points north of there...

Planogirl
05-28-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't see the big deal in giving someone a little change or a dollar. I tip anyone who serves me, simple as that.

Jenny18199
05-28-2010, 10:15 AM
We always tip if we have the car hop come to ur car whether we are eating there or taking it home - it never occurred to me not to. That being said, whenever we go through the drive thru, we don't tip. I'll usually round up the amount to the next dollar.

RN01
05-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I have never tipped at Sonic and never plan to. Like other posters said, it is fast food. I also don't tip at ice cream shops, hardees or car washes. I don't tip the person bagging my groceries either, although usually I am the one bagging. I personally think tipping has gotten out of hand. Everyone these days has a tip jar. Really? Are we going to start tipping the post man, he does bring us the mail? How about UPS, they actually bring it right to the door, not just the mailbox. How about pizza places? If you order a pizza and they expect you to come get it from the counter, are you gonna tip too?

If we go somewhere to eat and order from a menu, and someone waits on us and refills our drinks then I will tip, and I will tip 20% unless the water didn't do their job then I will tip a little less.

I AGREE!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

lulubelle6188
05-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Coming from a carhop that just worked 7 days straight,I'd like to clarify a few things...

If you stay at Sonic you will see that we don't just bring your food and leave. Ever sonic is required to have a carhop go around and check on every customer every 13 minutes or less. It's part of the mystery shops. I cannot tell you have many refills I took out today and wouldn't even began to guess how much extra condiments. I can think of several cars that I went to at least 3 times each today.

I think by not allowing you to tip on your credit/debit card is Sonic's way of saying NOT to tip. I don't see how sonic encourages tipping. I think it's unfair to pay every carhop at the Sonic I work at under minimium wage b/c of tips and then not allow people the opportunity to tip. We just signed agreements with the IRS about claiming tips. Part of the agreements on Sonics part was that they would change the cards to allow tips-but we'll see how long that takes. (We had to agree to claim a certain percent of sales in order to not be auditted)

I'm not saying we deserve 20% or a $5 tip everytime. Of course the bigger the better for me but I think the change to the dollar or $0.50 is fine. I'm all about being on a budget but I think this is such little money to get ruffled about. I think of myself as a server and try to be polite and friendly each order I take out. I certainly feel like carhops should be tipped.

Oh, and our Sonic doesn't have a drive-thru. I wouldn't tip the person handing food out of a window but walking to my car I would. It's more work and more of a personal service. I would say if you don't wanna tip go through the drive-thru.

pigget74
05-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Have not read all responses other than the first few.

I worked at sonic and did very well until the last pay increase in July. At the sonic I was working at they knocked all car hops to waitress pay plus $1. I was already making 7.5 an hour. Then this past November they hiked it up to 4.15.

I was working there to pay off debt. As you can see, wasn't making much anymore. I would work 40 hours a week in the summer making less than what I was making a 20 hour week in the spring before the changes went into place.

When the changes went into place sonic was supposed to change the card machines to allow tips--well it is almost a year later and that has not been done.

At our store we were supposed to go back at least once to check on our cars and more if needed. Most days I delivered on average to 120 cars.

stitchfan18
05-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I always tip if the food is delivered. If I drive thru I don't tip, but last time the girl working thought I should tip for my drink. She took my money, said thank you and ran off, I sat there for a minute then gave up. It was only like 30 cents, it just irked me that she sort of expected it was her tip, especially since it was drive thru and I only got a drink!:headache:

NYCDiane
05-28-2010, 10:24 PM
You're not tipping based upon the employee's salary --- you're tipping for good service!!!! I've never been to a Sonic (I've seen the commercials but they don't have any around here) but I'm assuming it's a drive up restaurant with Car Hops?? If I someone came to my car, took my order, and then brought the food to my car, yes, I would absolutely tip them for good service.

How does anyone else see this differently?? If you think your tip should be based on wages, then how do you tip a hotel cater waiter differently than an upscale restaurant waiter or a diner waitress or the wait staff at a wedding or a taxi driver or a black car driver?? They all make different salaries. And, please, don't give me that "15% of the check" nonsense --- I've NEVER tipped 15%. That is tacky and cheap and meant as a guide for people who don't know any better. I tip based upon the service I receive and it's always much more than 15%.

If I ever go to a Sonic restaurant and get good service, I will absolutely be tipping the server.

robind
05-28-2010, 10:35 PM
I always tip if the food is delivered. If I drive thru I don't tip, but last time the girl working thought I should tip for my drink. She took my money, said thank you and ran off, I sat there for a minute then gave up. It was only like 30 cents, it just irked me that she sort of expected it was her tip, especially since it was drive thru and I only got a drink!:headache:

I would call that stealing and you did better than I would. I would have waited until she came back and asked for my change. Eventually the line at the drive thru would have backed up for so long she would have had to come back to the window.

LMN
05-29-2010, 09:36 PM
I have been going to Sonics for over 20 years. It has never occurred to me to tip. Mainly because 1) they don't come to your car to take your order- you order thru a microphone call box and 2) I generally take the food home to eat- I don't stay there and eat in the car. On the occasions that I have stayed to eat in the car, I could probably count on 1 hand the times that the car hop circled back around to see if I needed anything else, and that consisted of them standing at the hood of my car and gesturing with their condiment tray-not actually coming to my window and interacting with me. I look on it as fast food-not tippable. Shame on Sonic for putting their car hops in this position, all for the sake of lowering their payroll expenses. I think it will be a while before I patronize another Sonic. Shame on them.

sillysmom
05-31-2010, 06:32 AM

Ummm, thought everyone tipped their postman at Xmas???!!!