PDA

View Full Version : Borax?

SDSorority
05-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Does anyone use Borax? I bought a box the other day and don't know what to do with it! :lmao::confused3

crisi
05-26-2010, 12:05 PM
All the time. I use about a 1/4 cup in my laundry (and much less detergent). I use it to clean my sinks and bathrooms. I use it to kill ants outside the house.

disneydreamersx4
05-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Borax? I'm trying to remember why I bought a box that's been sitting under my sink for months LOL Oh yeah, the kids wanted to make slime :rotfl2:

Does Borax in the laundry help the clothes come out cleaner??

mrodgers
05-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Borax will soften your water, which allows the detergent to work better allowing much less detergent.

It will also help a lot if you have well water because our water from the laundry smells really bad and the clothes were clean, but smelled bad too. Then the washer drains into a pit in the floor and gets pumped out with a sump, so that water sitting stunk up the whole basement, which then permeated up the steps and through the ductwork to the upstairs. 1/4 cup in the laundry and now the clothes are clean, clean smelling, and the basement doesn't smell either.

DisneyMomma81
05-26-2010, 02:04 PM
A quick google search gave me this (http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/115/1/Handy-borax-tips.html) ~ sounds neat.

java
05-26-2010, 05:03 PM
I bought some when I MADE my own detergent(Oh yeah that was very little house on the prarie-) But then I got a front loader and started buying special stuff(which I know is silly since I could just use less of my homemade stuff- but I was out anyway)

I add it now just in with the detergent. Seems to clean better.

Gigi22
05-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Borax? Killer stuff. My Mom always used it. You put it in the washer with the detergent, and you use a lot less detergent. If you want proof, put in the suggested amount of Borax and your regular amount of detergent, and stand back! You get a tub full of bubbles! It leaves no smell on laundry, and is OK for sensitive skin, like mine. You can use it instead of a fabric softener--so it works well on everything that has to be drip dried.

MickQuinn
05-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Borax is also great at killing off ants.

Another use .... If you sprinkle it on mushrooms it kills them without destroying the grass. We had a shady spot in the yard that had loads of slimy mushrooms on it. The Borax worked great.

I also use a little along with dishwasher detergent. Because it softens the water, things rinse much nicer.