PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about donating plasma...

debbiedana
05-26-2010, 10:43 AM
I could use a few extra bucks in my Disney fund. Ever done it? Good or bad experiences? Helpful tips?

The place I'm looking to go has locations all across the country and has been there for quite a while, so I'm fairly sure it's safe and clean.

TIA!

daughtersrus
05-26-2010, 10:48 AM
I could use a few extra bucks in my Disney fund. Ever done it? Good or bad experiences? Helpful tips?

The place I'm looking to go has locations all across the country and has been there for quite a while, so I'm fairly sure it's safe and clean.

TIA!

I see that you're in the Chicago area.

I drive by the place in Aurora every now and then and the parking lot seems to have quite a few cars in it. I've always wondered what's involved and how much they pay but I'm not sure that I could do it. I had problems trying to donate for myself before my second C-section.

shortbun
05-26-2010, 11:07 AM
I did it when I was around 20 a few times. It wasn't horrible, made me a little dizzy but any blood draw does. The people there are usually experts at doing the initial stick that gets the blood running. It's like giving blood but they return your red cells from what I remember. I'm old now and may not remember things quite right from 35 years ago.

DisneyMomma81
05-26-2010, 11:08 AM
My brother does this, maybe he's stopped but he did it very recently ~ I always tease him, you're not donating it your selling it ;) If you don't get reimbursed for it then it's donated.

dizneechic
05-26-2010, 11:14 AM
I can't comment on the process but wanted to commend you for considering it. :thumbsup2 I have a child who dealt with a blood issue (ITP) for 5+ years who received IvIg (a product made form blood plasma) too many times to count. Through donations like the one you are considering, many peoples quality of life will be improved. :lovestruc

traviesojmt
05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
I use to sell my plasma when I was in college, so we are talking about 15 years ago. When I did it, you could donate twice a week. They paid on a 4 donation cycle. 1st donation: $20 2nd donation: $15 3rd donation: $10 and 4th donation $25 Then it started over again. They take your blood in cycles, put it through a centrifuge, remove plasma and then return your blood. I have very small veins so they would often have trouble finding my vein. I eventually quit because when they would miss, my arm would turn black and blue all over. My dad finally said enough already. You look like someone is beating you. LOL For the record, it wasn't just the plasma center than had trouble finding my veins. Happens at doctor's office and hospital too. It really was an easy process. If I remember correctly, I was there about an hour. I would read a book while waiting. It was very easy money for a poor college student.

ceecee
05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I did it in college. A little time consuming, but take a friend to talk with and it will go fast. I got sick afterward, seems you are supposed to weigh 105 and I was 90 so that may have had something to do with it.

brandylouwho
05-26-2010, 04:48 PM
I did it back in college and tried to do it again back when I lost my job about 2 yrs ago...the second time around it didn't work out too well, I kept being denied because this or that was not in the guidelines (iron or protein levels-I don't remember now) so I gave up.

At the center I went to you first had to schedule a "physical" with their nurse. At that appointment they went over a ton of health questions to be sure you qualified to give.

The normal donations usually took 1 1/2 hours, give or take. First you answer a series of questions (things like have you ever taken a certain drug, have you received ny immunizations since your last visit, are you feeling well today, etc.) then they weigh you, check your temp, pick your finger and check levels of certain things in your blood, look at your arms for bruises. Then, if you are all good you go and actually donate.

Donating is a lot like donating blood, except the red cells are sepaarated from the plasma and they return the red cells to you. They also give you some saline at the end.

I think the pay around here was $20 a visit, but if you went twice in the same week the second visit paid $30 and if you donated twice a week for the whole month you got another bonus (maybe $250 per month). Then there were other programs like get a tetanus booster and donate so many times after it to receive a bonus and things like that.

Our center even had a child care center included for free.

It was not a lot of money and did take some time, but a decent menas to earn a little extra cash. It just didn't work out for me. Between failing my finger picks and them not being able to find my vein in my left arm--it was a PITA.

Fire14
05-26-2010, 06:48 PM
My brother does it and Dh is in process of going to do it. YOu can donate 2x/wk with at least a day between donations. PLace they go is on a 5 donation cycle 40/30/40/20/30 i believe.

Inurdrems9
05-26-2010, 09:07 PM
I do it a few times a year. I have never received money for it. The Blood Center usually calls me when they need it and I go in. They do buy lunch usually for everyone who is in there because it takes so long.:goodvibes

crisi
05-26-2010, 09:35 PM
I did it when I was around 20 a few times. It wasn't horrible, made me a little dizzy but any blood draw does. The people there are usually experts at doing the initial stick that gets the blood running. It's like giving blood but they return your red cells from what I remember. I'm old now and may not remember things quite right from 35 years ago.

In the dark ages when I was in college you needed to have been sober for 24 hours or something. So people would time it for beer money on the weekends.

I never did it, but there were people who did it often. A former boyfriend of mine paid for his living expenses while he studied for the bar exam off sold plasma.

it's kelly
05-26-2010, 09:54 PM
I became a regular platelet donor about a year ago when my bestfriend's son went back on chemo and became dependent on platelet transfusions.

While the donation process does take a little while (about 90 minutes) and the process is different than blood donation, there is not much pain at all. Just the regular discomfort of being stuck with the needle. The needle they use is a little larger than what is used for regular blood donation because they use this needle to give you the red blood back. The hospital I donate at does one arm donations, so the same arm is used to take and return - leaving you a free arm. I did feel slight pressure when the blood is returned but it is not painful, you can just feel it. (Hope that makes sense)

One last thing, when your blood is given back it is mixed with an anticoagulant which prevents your blood from clotting. It leaves your nerve endings tingly and a funny metal taste in you mouth.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Hope that helps.

smcabee
05-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Ahh the good old days. I sold plasma a ton in college as did all 5 of my roomies. We would pool the money together for our beer fund each week. I remember fondly when one of my roomies had Mononucleosis and for some reason they were paying like $150 a donation for 2 weeks after he was infected. We all literally dragged him down there to donate cause boy you could drink a lot on $150 back in late 80s. :rotfl2:

heatherleigh
05-27-2010, 12:47 PM
I remember places like this advertising, back when I was in college. I never knew anyone, personally, who did it. I do have a friend who happens to be a student, who considered this recently. She went to a couple appointments and just said you have to sit there and relax.

It can get chilly in there, so you may want to dress warm or bring a small blanket (unless that just happened to be at her particular facility). I'd bring it anyway- it's better than freezing that entire time.

MsLeFever
05-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Used Plasma donation to pay my car payment for a year. It was a good quiet time to read, extra cash in my pocket and a feeling that I was really helping someone. If there was a place close to me now I'd still be doing it.

lovesmurfs
05-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Used to do it all the time in college, too. They verify signatures, etc. to make sure that you're getting your own blood back.

Started again after DS was born, and one time was fighting off a cold. The next time I went in I was called back into one of the offices, where I was told I'd tested positive for HIV. :scared1: Totally, totally wrong, but totally, totally wigged me out.

I was told that I had a "lifetime ban" on donating, but I can't imagine that would be true -- haven't tried since.

It's really not a big deal, if you have the time available.

Sunbeamblue2002
05-27-2010, 03:53 PM
I did this several times in my area about a yr ago. What I can tell you is that if its your first time you should get there very very early. First time doners had to have a "physical" and see a nurse before they could even donate. They only took like 10 new doners a day or something like that. After that the process was fairly fast. First they checked your blood presure and iron and if either of those were off you had to go home. But this was after the first "physical" Then you were called in and donated. It was all pretty easy but a bit time consuming. Because even after the first donation you should still get there as early as possiable. The wait is often the hardest part. Baised on where you go I would think that they would be croweded.

MoeFam
05-27-2010, 04:21 PM
I just started last week- so I have donated twice and have my third tonite. I called and made an appt for my first time ( for the physical etc) but now I can make my appts on line. Everything is very techno-based. They took a copy of my fingerprint and you scan in for your appt, to answer questions, and to register after. All my money is loaded on a debit card as soon as you finish donating. They have free child care which is awesome. Make sure to take a blanket and a book or Ipod...and stay hydrated. I can do mine in 50 minutes or so as your donation is based on yor weight and I fall into the medium category. Making sure I have eaten some protein that day is also really important! The payment is $25 a session and $50 bonus after 4 sessions.

mommy2_3
05-27-2010, 04:48 PM
i did then i had to stop cause i got pregnant so im waiting for my 6 months post parturm so i can do it again. here they pay $40 then $25 then $40 then $35 the $40. after that they do i believe $35 and then $25. i have very small veins and "jump" and they can still get me! first time takes about 3-4 hours then after that its about an hour.

laliwalden
05-27-2010, 09:15 PM
I actually work at a Plasma Donation Center. How much you get paid will depend on the center and where it is located.

If there are several in an area, they tend to pay a bit higher, to be competitive.

It is a fairly easy process. Once the needle is in, it should be pretty much painless.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them!!

LovesTimone
05-27-2010, 09:40 PM
This is a medical procedure and not something to be taken lightly. Check out where you would be doing this, is the person qualified or some over worked tech. Is the building staffed, how is the atmosphere, is everyone running around or is it calm and professional. Is the building clean, are all the instruments opened in front of you. Talk to people using the facility. The reason I say this is about 12 years ago I worked with a girl who did this for extra money as she was a single mom, and they called her one day and said there was a problem, so she went in, and there was a possibility that gave her the wrong blood back and there could be a possibility that she could have been infected with HIV. Well they did give her back the wrong blood and 6 months later she tested positive for HIV. She had 2 small kids, so far she has been able to remain healthy, but she has had to move in with her parents because the medicine is so costly.
I know that this is important, and there are precautions that are set in place. But make sure that you know the risk and are comfortable with your surroundings, be informed, double check everything, you have to protect yourself if not it could cost you your life.

Tamar
05-27-2010, 10:22 PM
From what I understand, donating plasma will leave you "understaffed" in the antibody department until those antibodies regenerate...so, if you are exposed to anything where you've built up immunity you're more likely to get sick/sicker than you would have otherwise. I heard this in a biology lecture podcast from an undergraduate class, so have no reason to doubt it. I would just do your homework before assuming it's risk free.

laliwalden
05-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Okay, since this is what I do for a living, I feel the need to clear up a few things.

This is a medical procedure and not something to be taken lightly. Check out where you would be doing this, is the person qualified or some over worked tech. Is the building staffed, how is the atmosphere, is everyone running around or is it calm and professional. Is the building clean, are all the instruments opened in front of you. Talk to people using the facility. The reason I say this is about 12 years ago I worked with a girl who did this for extra money as she was a single mom, and they called her one day and said there was a problem, so she went in, and there was a possibility that gave her the wrong blood back and there could be a possibility that she could have been infected with HIV. Well they did give her back the wrong blood and 6 months later she tested positive for HIV. She had 2 small kids, so far she has been able to remain healthy, but she has had to move in with her parents because the medicine is so costly.
I know that this is important, and there are precautions that are set in place. But make sure that you know the risk and are comfortable with your surroundings, be informed, double check everything, you have to protect yourself if not it could cost you your life.

How plasma is collected now is WAY different than how it was done 12 years ago. At our center there is NO way you could be given the wrong blood back now. You are hooked up to a machine the entire time. I would imagine even our competitors are using similar machines, so I cannot see this being an issue.

Used to do it all the time in college, too. They verify signatures, etc. to make sure that you're getting your own blood back.

Started again after DS was born, and one time was fighting off a cold. The next time I went in I was called back into one of the offices, where I was told I'd tested positive for HIV. :scared1: Totally, totally wrong, but totally, totally wigged me out.

I was told that I had a "lifetime ban" on donating, but I can't imagine that would be true -- haven't tried since.

It's really not a big deal, if you have the time available.

Again, I cannot imagine a chance of getting someone elses blood back. And, yes if you test positive for something (even if it's a false positive) you are no longer allowed to donate. At our center, that includes our facility and any of our facilities in the country.

From what I understand, donating plasma will leave you "understaffed" in the antibody department until those antibodies regenerate...so, if you are exposed to anything where you've built up immunity you're more likely to get sick/sicker than you would have otherwise. I heard this in a biology lecture podcast from an undergraduate class, so have no reason to doubt it. I would just do your homework before assuming it's risk free.

Okay, plasma is mad up of about 90% water and regenerates after ~24 hours, that is how you are able to donate so often. Whatever antibodies you do lose, you will reproduce very quickly.

Also, please remember that plasma centers are audited by many bodies, including the FDA. It is serious. Just double check the center you are going to. If they have not had quality issues or been shut down, you are fine.

luvthemouse71
05-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Did it once and got so sick from it..I remember lying there feeling very ill, got their attention and they took me off the machine. Then, I went to stand up and fainted..they had me rest a little, tried to get up again and fainted a second time. They asked me nicely to never come back.
:lmao:

I had eaten a good breakfast too, and I'm not the squeimish type either..so I'm not sure why I got so ill from it.

debbiedana
05-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Thank you all for your insight! I think I'm going to check it out this week.

There's nowhere like the Dis!!! You're all awesome!

aceys_h0ney
05-28-2010, 08:07 AM
My husband did this a few times a couple months ago.

Just a few things,
Firstly he put down that my friend refered him because she would get extra money. What no one explained to him or my friend was that the extra money they paid her came from what he would have made. He still got like $25 but was counting on $35. There was no way to undo the referal so he lost out each time.

More important note though, eat a good breakfast or whatever meal before you go. He did not the first time and got sick. The second time he did and felt fine. Stay hydrated.

Hubby said just the intial stick was painful the rest was fine, he was bored. He could not see the TVs and forgot a book. 2nd time with book he said he enjoyed himself :)

I tried to do it but they said my veins were too small, they said I could drink a lot of water and come back in a few weeks but I never did. I am squeemish. They said to drink a lot of water for a few days before going in also helps everyone.

ajw1117
05-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Hi I use to donate all the time at the Red cross so I did not get paid but i imagine it is the same there as anywhere.I just don't have the time anymore to do it. It takes anywhere from 60- 90 minutes does not hurt othe than the initial stick, you do get cold and tingly.The machine is right next to you filtering your blood so I don't see how you could get anyone else's blood back.
However one time about half way in to the donation my vein collapsed and extravasated so I did wind up with a gigantic (my whole arm) bruise.(because of the blood thinner mixed in.) Luckily it was 2 mos before my wedding. The brusing took about 1 month to go away, so I wouldn't go before any events where a sleeveless dress is going to be worn. It didn't hurt at all but looked awful, it was just one of those things that never happened after.