PDA

View Full Version : Binghamton/Johnson City NY and Manhattan budget?

riley2008
05-26-2010, 09:25 AM
DH tells me this morning he wants to go to the wedding of a co-worker. Fine, okay....in Binghamton, NY. We live in south Texas. The wedding is the second weekend in July. We can drive, as we are both on vacation the week before and after. (ugh!)

It's been four years since DH and I last went to NY. We usually fly into LaGuardia, take buses and the subway, and stay in hostels. We have never taken kids.

We would like to spend a day in the city for the boys to see the Statue of Liberty and maybe a ride to the top of the Empire State Building. (Toys R' Us might be fun too!)

The problem is...we've never had to deal with a vehicle and I'm not sure we want to start now. I was thinking about finding a less expensive safe hotel/motel to drive to, stay the night, leave the car for the day, take a train to Manhattan, and then return that night.

Any suggestions? I have no idea where to start. (I thought about doing this from Binghamton, but didn't really find anything.)

punkin
05-26-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure I understand...do you want to drive from Texas to Binghamton? That's a loooong drive. Then you want to spend just one day in Manhattan? No overnight?

If I was doing this trip, I would fly to Scranton, PA and rent a car. I would do Binghamton for the wedding and then drive down to a park and ride in NJ, where I would take public transportation into the City. I would then drive back to Scranton and fly home. (obviously not in one day)

MagiKitty
05-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes, Binghamton and NY would be about 3 1/2 hours from each other.

I would stay on the Jersey side of things. I've stayed at the Sheraton in Weehawken...its literally across the river from the city. We took the water taxi across, and the buses (free) from there. But depending on the size of your family, it may be a more expensive option.

A lot of hotels in the Secaucus area are on the bus lines that will take you into NYC, but I've never stayed at any of those. But its a good place to start looking. Plus, you'll be able to leave your car at the hotel.

On the Jersey side, there's a PATH (train) station at the Newport Center in Jersey city. You'll have to pay for parking.

I know this isn't much help, but maybe it'll give you some ideas...

riley2008
05-26-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure I understand...do you want to drive from Texas to Binghamton? That's a loooong drive. Then you want to spend just one day in Manhattan? No overnight?

If I was doing this trip, I would fly to Scranton, PA and rent a car. I would do Binghamton for the wedding and then drive down to a park and ride in NJ, where I would take public transportation into the City. I would then drive back to Scranton and fly home. (obviously not in one day)

We will drive to Binghamton (two-day trip), stay 2 nights there for the wedding, and then I think we could drive somewhere else (closer to Manhattan), spend the night, the next day go into the city and return back to the hotel that night, spend the night, and then start the trip back home the next morning.

So, one night on the rode, two in Binghamton for the wedding, two nights near Manhattan and another night on the rode home.

Thanks for the help!

CFedor1
05-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Binghamton/Johnson City, NY caught my eye. I work in Binghamton and live in nearby Vestal, NY. Small World!!

You could consider taking a bus from Binghamton to NYC and back. I believe several buses run each day. That way you won't have to worry about paying to park your car somewhere.

disneyfans95
05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
I lived in Vestal for a few years (I am from NYC but got a job x-fer up there for 2 years).

So hello fellow Vestal person :)

But for the OP, there is no real train option for you. Best is a bus and that is one long ride.

It took us 3 1/2-4hours to reach NYC from Vestal when going back home to see family, so it is a long ride and really not easy.

Have you thought aboue maybe doing something else in the Southern Tier region (that is where Binghamton is). You could go to the Finger Lakes and do great wine tours and boat rides. Even a little camping or Bed and Breakfast stay. That ride would be much closer and easier. You could fly into a much closer airport also and your total time in NY would involve a ton less driving.

Let us know what you pick. I know we can suggest stuff on both end of NY !

punkin
05-26-2010, 11:14 AM
That is one long drive from Texas to Binghamton. I am not sure I would do a drive than long, particularly with young children.

waughzee
05-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Hello fellow Binghamton area Dis'ers! I am in Greene!

Binghamton has a small airport you could fly into from NYC, the airport code is BGM.

Best Aunt
05-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Let me get this straight.

Two days on the road.

Two days in Binghamton (which is not the Fun Capital of the world).

Drive 3 1/2 hours or take a bus to the NYC area. (There is no passenger train service out of Binghamton.)

One day in NYC.

Two days on the road to get back home.

You must have a very patient, laid-back family.

By the way, did you mean F.A.O. Schwarz in NYC? If you just want Toys R Us, there is one in the Binghamton area.

You can check bmets.com to see if there will be a minor league baseball game in Binghamton if you will have a free night during your stay.

MagiKitty
05-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Bestaunt...there's a huge Toys R Us in Times Square that a lot of people go to. There's a ferris wheel inside and its 4 floors of toys.

kmccain
05-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Howdy Neighbors! I am just south of you guys in Dimock, PA!

Riley2008

You will be doing really good if you can make it from south Texas to Binghamton in 2 days!

It would probably cost you more to fly into Binghamton but it will cost you way more to stay in NYC. You can take the bus there and there wont be a need for a vehicle unless you find something to do in our area. You will be less than 2 hours from the Baseball hall of fame.

cntrygal
05-27-2010, 06:06 AM
or skip NYC altogether and do other things instead of NYC this trip, the Baseball Hall of Fame is 1 1/2 hrs away from Binghamton, you could do hershey and lancaster in PA on your way home