PDA

View Full Version : Renting a car around PCC 2.0

jeanigor
05-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I would like to know my fellow cruisers opinions and hear any of their words of wisdom.

I haven't decided yet.

Launchpad11B
05-24-2010, 12:41 PM
I would like to know my fellow cruisers opinions and hear any of their words of wisdom.

I haven't decided yet.

We did it last year and we're doing it again Todd. It was very convenient to be able to drive back to our resort directly from the port. Parking wasn't too expensive. The flexability a rental provides us is well worth the expense IMO. You can make any stops or detours you need to without a problem.:thumbsup2

Tonya2426
05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm not a Townie but live close enough to Florida that I drive - so I will have my car. I love not being at the mercy of a bus. :goodvibes

corky441
05-24-2010, 12:54 PM
As it stands right now - we're renting a car post-cruise at the Port and then driving to WDW. It's nice to have a car at WDW instead of having to rely on their bus transportation. Also, we leave late in the day on Sunday to go home. Having the car affords us the luxury of not having to deal with Magical Express or a cab to get to the airport.
I'm in the process of checking the cost effectiveness of renting a car to drive to the Port too and parking it.:surfweb:
We might end up doing it that way

LocustPoint
05-24-2010, 01:01 PM
We are renting straight through including parking at the port. I have the cost of parking built into the budget and the convenience of having the car prior to the cruise and having the car waiting for me at the port upon leaving the ship is worth it for me. Our plan is to get off the ship as soon as we can and drive straight to Universal after the cruise.

parrotheadlois
05-24-2010, 01:23 PM
We did both pre and post last year because we were staying at the Dolphin and didn't have Magical Express and we wanted to get over to where the Muddy Buddy race was.

I don't think we'll bother with a car this year.

tlcoke
05-24-2010, 01:37 PM
As of my research I was doing earlier today - I will probably do length of stay with paying for parking at port.

Cherinva
05-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Not me....I'm on vacation and that includes driving.

georgemoe
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Not doing a rental and not because of WDW service or a townie.

Kelly is my taxi. :drive:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Did a rental pre 1.0 and really didn't use it that much. Got water and beer at Publix then went to the Poly for Kona Cafe and the Poly Meet. Did transfers from the Dolphin last year and will do that again. The bus is fun as it allows more time with our peeps! :dance3:

Might do a day rental from the car care center post 2.0 if we decide to do Universal and WWoHP. If not we'll be walking and busing it.

DVCsince02
05-24-2010, 02:34 PM
<--------- Driving from Delaware.

mdvlprof
05-24-2010, 03:43 PM
driving from KY.

jessrose18
05-24-2010, 04:09 PM
We are renting car pre cruise, not staying post cruise. We don't like relying on disney transporation, love having a car, plus we are going to universal. Already booked alamo midsize 135 for 5 days, pretty good deal these days.

mainegal
05-24-2010, 04:12 PM
I'd have no problem with using Magical Express and the Disney busses.

If welcome, I would hitch a ride in a car.

If travelling as part of a group, I would hop aboard bus or car with everyone else.

mainegal
05-24-2010, 04:16 PM
(slightly off topic)
Can't wait to hear how Pete enjoyed the WDW busses.

kimisabella
05-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Right now it looks like we will be renting a for the whole time and parking it in the port lot just like we did on PCC 1.0.

According to my crude calculations, it would cost us at least $300 for transportation from MCO to the Swan, transfers to and from the port, and then transportation back to MCO from the Swan. Even with paying for the port parking fees, we will be coming out ahead, and have the flexibility of having our own car by renting.

tlcoke
05-24-2010, 05:58 PM
I'd have no problem with using Magical Express and the Disney busses.

If welcome, I would hitch a ride in a car.

If travelling as part of a group, I would hop aboard bus or car with everyone else.

As my roommate - you are welcome to ride with me - unless you don't want to.

Launchpad11B
05-24-2010, 06:17 PM

This is what I like about these boards. That's a very nice thing to do Tracy, good for you.

mainegal
05-24-2010, 06:55 PM

Thanks, Tracey!
And if we get a flat or the car needs pushing, I can help with that.
Hmmm... or call AAA!

Hedy
05-24-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm renting post cruise. My flight doesn't leave until 7pm, so I figured I'd drive &chill at DTD for a bit. I'm kind of fickle, but once it gets closer I'll probably be seeing if anyone wants to join me.

tlcoke
05-25-2010, 06:13 AM
This is what I like about these boards. That's a very nice thing to do Tracy, good for you.

Thanks Paul. I would do it for anyone.

I'll have room for at least 1 other person in my car - maybe two depending on the amount of luggage and the trunk size.

Thanks, Tracey!
And if we get a flat or the car needs pushing, I can help with that.
Hmmm... or call AAA!

I have the Iphone App for that.

Renysmom
05-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Not doing a rental and not because of WDW service or a townie.

Kelly is my taxi. :drive:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yup I am even buying a chauffeurs hat specially for driving George and Deb around :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

We aren't renting a car though, we are driving from Virginia.

klam_chowder
05-25-2010, 09:15 AM
I was just looking into this. We haven't rented before for any of our WDW trips but will likely rent pre-cruise as we want to check out WWoHP and drive to the port. Probably renting post-cruise too.

When we've firmed up our reservation and it's closer to the cruise, I'll see if anyone wants to join DH & I.

cheers,
:flower3:

Becx N Gav
05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
We will probably get one after the cruise from the port and drive to WDW, then keep it for a week or so. We can get groceries and go off site a bit.

georgemoe
05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Yup I am even buying a chauffeurs hat specially for driving George and Deb around :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

:lovestruc the hat idea. Get a chefs toque too because I could get hungry. :rotfl2:

Renysmom
05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
:lovestruc the hat idea. Get a chefs toque too because I could get hungry. :rotfl2:

You've never tasted my cooking have you? We eat out alot for a reason.

georgemoe
05-25-2010, 11:37 AM
You've never tasted my cooking have you? We eat out alot for a reason.

If you're buyin I'm not complaining. :)

jediobiwan
05-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Technically I am not renting a car, but my brother is so we can steal his for a week for driving to PCC 2.0 and other post stays. That whole under 25 upcharge was really not that appealing to me.

tlcoke
05-25-2010, 12:15 PM

Driving Miss Daisy

http://middleburgfolkartstudio.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/tn2_driving_miss_daisy_2.jpg?w=470&h=277

tlcoke
05-25-2010, 12:18 PM
I locked in the cheapest rate I could find this morning for a Rental Car for my December dates, that way I am covered if I can't find cheaper rates closer in towards December.

NancyIL
05-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Right now it looks like we will be renting a for the whole time and parking it in the port lot just like we did on PCC 1.0.

According to my crude calculations, it would cost us at least $300 for transportation from MCO to the Swan, transfers to and from the port, and then transportation back to MCO from the Swan. Even with paying for the port parking fees, we will be coming out ahead, and have the flexibility of having our own car by renting.

You realize that you'll pay to park at the Swan, right?

TXYankee
05-25-2010, 01:33 PM
I locked in the cheapest rate I could find this morning for a Rental Car for my December dates, that way I am covered if I can't find cheaper rates closer in towards December.

Tracey,

What rate did you find?

tlcoke
05-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Tracey,

What rate did you find?

I am using our Corporate Rate through Enterprise Car Rental for a Compact Size Car which is $111.01/week. My Rental period is from Dec 4 - Dec 20. My total after Taxes & Fees is $359.13.

Parking at the port is going to be $60.00 at current rates.

Enterprise was also cheapest at non-discounted rates at $116.85/week, just barely beating out Thrifty Car Rental.

I priced one-way rentals but they were averaging $450+ for my total stay Pre/Post Cruise.

I am anticipating being able to lower this down to between $80 & $100 per Week closer to December.

Becx N Gav
05-26-2010, 08:51 AM
I am using our Corporate Rate through Enterprise Car Rental for a Compact Size Car which is $111.01/week. My Rental period is from Dec 4 - Dec 20. My total after Taxes & Fees is $359.13.

Parking at the port is going to be $60.00 at current rates.

Enterprise was also cheapest at non-discounted rates at $116.85/week, just barely beating out Thrifty Car Rental.

I priced one-way rentals but they were averaging $450+ for my total stay Pre/Post Cruise.

I am anticipating being able to lower this down to between $80 & $100 per Week closer to December.

I think we will pay more because we're doing a 1 way rental. We don't want a car for the entire trip and it seems a bit silly to us to pay for transfers from the port to WDW and then pick up a hire car. But I may look at this and if it is cheaper to pick up and drop off at the same place we may do that :thumbsup2

tlcoke
05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I think we will pay more because we're doing a 1 way rental. We don't want a car for the entire trip and it seems a bit silly to us to pay for transfers from the port to WDW and then pick up a hire car. But I may look at this and if it is cheaper to pick up and drop off at the same place we may do that :thumbsup2

I ran every possible senario for renting the vehicle and found the cheapest rate that works for me is renting for my entire stay and paying to park at the port. With you being an International renter, that may work out differently in your case.

Dodie
05-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Florida Tours with a grocery (i.e., alcohol and sunscreen) stop here. Then using the DIS Swan/Dolphin to/from port option.

DVCsince02
05-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Florida Tours with a grocery (i.e., alcohol and sunscreen) stop here. Then using the DIS Swan/Dolphin to/from port option.

No sunscreen in Indy?:confused3

Dodie
05-26-2010, 05:26 PM
No sunscreen in Indy?:confused3

:rotfl:

We have an Owner's Locker (the big purple tub). It needs to be restocked with spray on sunscreen. If I'm stopping for booze anyway, might as well pick up the sunscreen down there vs. hauling it in my checked luggage. See? There's a method to my madness. :)

TXYankee
05-27-2010, 10:40 AM

I am thinking of doing the same thing! Where do you have them stop for alcohol. DH is a gin and tonic man. Thanks!

Dodie
05-28-2010, 02:07 PM
I am thinking of doing the same thing! Where do you have them stop for alcohol. DH is a gin and tonic man. Thanks!

We buy what they have available at Publix. I don't recall if they sell alcohol, as we have purchased wine in the past, but I thought we'd picked up the margarita stuff in the jug that already has the tequila in it there(?)

I think if you request in advance, they would probably stop at a liquor store instead, if that's what you wanted.

georgemoe
05-28-2010, 04:47 PM

We buy what they have available at Publix. I don't recall if they sell alcohol, as we have purchased wine in the past, but I thought we'd picked up the margarita stuff in the jug that already has the tequila in it there(?)

I think if you request in advance, they would probably stop at a liquor store instead, if that's what you wanted.

I'm going wherever Kelly takes me on Saturday. ::yes::

Hopefully it includes a packy! ;)

Launchpad11B
05-28-2010, 05:40 PM

Packy? Oh, you mean the class 6. Got it. :thumbsup2

jeanigor
05-28-2010, 06:03 PM

Y'all and your code talk. If you mean liquor store, say liquor store. :goodvibes:goodvibes

jediobiwan
05-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Liquor stores in Cape Canaveral (http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=liquor+store+cape+canaveral,+fl&fb=1&gl=us&hq=liquor+store&hnear=cape+canaveral,+fl&view=text&ei=M1gATIjsNsaAlAfn7fX-CQ&sa=X&**=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQtQMwAA)

Just saying... (Now where is that falling down drunk smiley?):drinking1:drinking:

(Still not falling down, but better)

Dodie
05-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Y'all and your code talk. If you mean liquor store, say liquor store. :goodvibes:goodvibes

:thumbsup2

Launchpad11B
05-28-2010, 08:28 PM

You must be from SOUTHERN Michigan.

Renysmom
05-28-2010, 08:44 PM

I think we can do that.. especially since you called it a packy!! Haven't heard the ABC store called that in years!!!

Yes we call it the ABC store here in Virginia :)

georgemoe
05-28-2010, 11:18 PM

:thumbsup2

Mindy and Jeff know. :)

I think we can do that.. especially since you called it a packy!! Haven't heard the ABC store called that in years!!!

Yes we call it the ABC store here in Virginia :)

You can call it whatever you want. :lovestruc