PDA

View Full Version : Stupid/Not-thinking things that wasted money

dfchelbay
05-24-2010, 10:12 AM
I thought it might be fun to share things we've done recently that go completely against our Budget Board minded decision making because of absent mindedness, etc.. Ways we wasted money, electricity, water, gas, etc. Maybe this will reinforce...YET AGAIN, in our minds to conserve/save. Here's what I did the other day:

I did a load of laundry the other night. I do a short 6 minute wash to conserve water and electricity. I put the clothes in the dryer and off I went. The next morning, while I was getting ready, I remembered my clothes were still in the dryer, so I turned it on to get the wrinkles out...then I went off on my merry way and forgot again. Got home later that day and remembered the clothes were in the dryer. I turned the dryer on to get the wrinkles out...and FORGOT AGAIN!!! I remember the next morning and, yet again, de-wrinkled the load AGAIN. This time I remembered and finally got the clothes out of the dryer. So, in essence, I ran the dryer four times for one load of clothes. What a waste of electricity.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.:confused3

LoveSpringsteen
05-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I've got a good one.

3 months ago, we paid $350 to repair our 3 year old gas water heater (vs. $650-$700 to purchase a new water heater). We called a local plumbing company for this repair.

This week, I got a notice from Sears that our water heater warranty was expiring and did we want to renew? I had completely forgotten that we had a warranty on the water heater. So, I paid $350 un-necessarily.

How stupid was that?

plummer925
05-24-2010, 10:30 AM
I've got a good one.

3 months ago, we paid $350 to repair our 3 year old gas water heater (vs. $650-$700 to purchase a new water heater). We called a local plumbing company for this repair.

This week, I got a notice from Sears that our water heater warranty was expiring and did we want to renew? I had completely forgotten that we had a warranty on the water heater. So, I paid $350 un-necessarily.

How stupid was that?

Could you maybe contact Sears and explain the situation - maybe they'd be willing to reimburse part of it?

surfergirl602
05-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Yesterday at Lowe's I bought the ten dollar flowers instead of the 2 dollar flowers, and didn't realize it until after my husband had them already planted. The two were next to each other and guess I grabbed the wrong ones! We were looking at a bunch, and I'll blame the pregnancy brain that got me all confused. So our 4 dollar flowers cost me 20!

dawson5
05-24-2010, 10:51 AM
our local grocery store gives you 5c off for each reusable bag you bring in. I always have them in the car, either I forget to bring them in with me or I have them hanging on my shoulder and forget to give them to them to use. :headache:

LoveSpringsteen
05-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Could you maybe contact Sears and explain the situation - maybe they'd be willing to reimburse part of it?

Thank you. I honestly didn't think Sears would give a hoot since I hadn't used them for this repair. I will give them a call tonight.

It was so very thoughtful of you to suggest this.

Janet

SandrA9810
05-24-2010, 12:04 PM
a friend sent me an external hard drive to save all my stuff from the computer before leaving.
I waited till the last day to start saving, and come to find out XP has issues doing large file transfers.
So i wasted a precious 80$ to buy one year data backup plan. And even on a small 30 gigs, it still took longer than 12hrs to save. And i left so i don't know if all the save worked. But i did see it when it was saving most the important stuff for me.

I really needed that 80$ for other things, but i didn't want to loose some of my important stuff on the computer. And it least it works without me doing it myself.

DMOMof3
05-24-2010, 12:06 PM
our local grocery store gives you 5c off for each reusable bag you bring in. I always have them in the car, either I forget to bring them in with me or I have them hanging on my shoulder and forget to give them to them to use. :headache:

I do the same thing. Or I use them and am so excited I did self scan and checkout so quickly that I forget to enter the 5c coupon for each!

dawson5
05-24-2010, 12:09 PM
a friend sent me an external hard drive to save all my stuff from the computer before leaving.
I waited till the last day to start saving, and come to find out XP has issues doing large file transfers.
So i wasted a precious 80$ to buy one year data backup plan. And even on a small 30 gigs, it still took longer than 12hrs to save. And i left so i don't know if all the save worked. But i did see it when it was saving most the important stuff for me.

I really needed that 80$ for other things, but i didn't want to loose some of my important stuff on the computer. And it least it works without me doing it myself.

Did you format the hard drive before you used it? There are two options FAT & NTFS. You want to use NTFS, FAT has file size limitations. That might be your issue.

DisneyCowgirl
05-24-2010, 12:15 PM
After unloading some stuff out of the back, I drove our mini-van into the garage without first closing its back door (it's the kind that opens up and you push a button either on the key or inside the van to close it). It hit the roof of the garage and broke the window out. Close to $150 to fix.

HM
05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
After unloading some stuff out of the back, I drove our mini-van into the garage without first closing its back door (it's the kind that opens up and you push a button either on the key or inside the van to close it). It hit the roof of the garage and broke the window out. Close to $150 to fix.

If you have comprehensive insurance, you should be able to get the $$ back from your insurance carrier (without any penalties or a deductable). I did the same thing to my van a few years back. I paid to get the window replaced. Then we thought to ask about insurance. My insurance agent uses a different company to do that kind of work usually, but reimbursed me, thankfully. Same thing goes for replacing a front windshield.

SandrA9810
05-24-2010, 01:09 PM
the hard drive was reformated before recieving it. And i tried reformating it, but it did nothing. The files were still on there. And there's a program that does a better job but i didn't want to waste time trying to do that.
When i went to the store, the cheapest drives were as much as the program. Which i figured if i got another drive i could run into the same issue. I really like the program, and i'm happy to have it. I just mad i had to spend the money on that.

FoundMyPrince
05-24-2010, 01:13 PM

I do this all the time. We keep some in the house for little trashbags (bathroom trashcans) and some in the van for grocery store use. I cannot tell you how many times I've just gone into the store without my bags.:confused:

CTdiznymom
05-24-2010, 01:21 PM

I did this again this weekend. I told the cashier that they need to put a BIG flashing neon sign out in front of the store so I don't forget them. If I'm with my DH he ends up going back to the car for them bc we both forgot them, so it's not just me!

Sadie22
05-24-2010, 01:23 PM

I did back up with the lift gate of our minivan raised and hit it against the side post of my mom's porch and bent it out of alignment. Luckily my husband was able to fix that. I bet neither of us will forget that little detail again.

kamik86
05-24-2010, 01:44 PM
My husband has this really bad tendency to mix up the 4 credit cards in his wallet (Disney is for Disney stuff, Target for target stuff, HSBC mastercard for everything else, and his capital one should never be used) Now the first three is no big deal, we may not get the best rewards that way (and the in the case of target not get his employee discount and not notice if its only a $3 purchase) but thats not really a huge issue. However when he uses his capital one for something like gum, then forgets it for two months until they start calling for no payment the bill is then around $65!! (We found this newest one this weekend can you tell?)

4forWDW
05-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Mine was this last week and it wasn't much (this time). My ds needed one sheet of posterboard for school. I checked the dollar store and they were out. I knew CVS would probably have it and they are by the bank that I go to for making deposits for work. I went to the bank Thurs but didn't go to CVS - I thought I would go Friday. So when I went Friday they did have the posterboard and then when I checked my little holder in my purse where I keep gift cards, ECB's etc I saw where I had an ECB for $1 that expired THURSDAY!!! The posterboard was $1.05. Eventhough it was just a dollar - that could have been a dollar saved:)
It seems I am always doing things like that.

Cheryllynn74
05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
We went to Target the other night and got a ton of great deals. I spent about an hour at home reading websites, printing coupons, and matching my coupons up. I ended up saving over $30 with coupons. Then we proceeded to go through the Starbucks drive thru on the way home and spent $10. After I gave the guy a $10 bill, I was so mad at myself. Yes, it was a nice treat, but I worked so hard saving that $30 and then just blew $10 in 5 minutes. I felt like I wasn't thinking, and was really mad that I didn't come to this conclusion BEFORE I pulled into the drive thru.

surfergirl602
05-24-2010, 02:40 PM

my husband was unloading bags of garden soil yesterday and wanted to get closer. He left the window of the hood of the truck up and backed into a tree limb and broke it. He said he forgot it was up.

Mickeypooh99
05-24-2010, 02:59 PM
I bought an annual pass to a local zoo knowing I could use it at reciprocal zoos in other locations. We loaded to kids up to go to a zoo 1 1/2 hours from our house, and didn't realize I forgot the pass until we pulled into the parking lot. So I had to pay $40.00 to get the 4 of us into the zoo, when it should have been free. :sad2: I got home, and the pass was sitting on my kitchen counter.

phred52
05-24-2010, 03:33 PM
I bought an annual pass to a local zoo knowing I could use it at reciprocal zoos in other locations. We loaded to kids up to go to a zoo 1 1/2 hours from our house, and didn't realize I forgot the pass until we pulled into the parking lot. So I had to pay $40.00 to get the 4 of us into the zoo, when it should have been free. :sad2: I got home, and the pass was sitting on my kitchen counter.

HOW frustrating!! This is something I might do!

I once forgot to bring our Disney tickets for DLP. We'd taken the train from Paris to get there. I remembered to bring everything BUT the tickets to get in Disney!!

I was so mad at myself, ended up taking the train all the way back and spending that day wandering around Paris instead. So it ended up costing me the train tickets when I had to buy more the next morning when we went back..

MrsPete
05-24-2010, 03:55 PM
I am very bad about failing to return library books, and then I end up paying fines! It's not much -- ten cents a day -- but it's still wasted money.

And I'm bad about failing to bring a water bottle or a soda to school, and then what do I do? Plop .65 into the drink machine to buy a drink that would've cost either zero or .20 if I'd remembered to grab it when I walked out of the house.

khowell921
05-24-2010, 04:04 PM
It's great to save money, buy in bulk and store in the deep freeze. Not so cost saving when your kid doesn't shut the door all the way and you go outside to get something out of the freezer and almost everything is all thawed out!!!! Happened this morning! Cooking up alot of ground deer meat, boiling chicken breasts, etc.. Sadly the ice cream treats didn't survive.:sad2:

AndreaDM
05-24-2010, 04:14 PM
I bought an annual pass to a local zoo knowing I could use it at reciprocal zoos in other locations. We loaded to kids up to go to a zoo 1 1/2 hours from our house, and didn't realize I forgot the pass until we pulled into the parking lot. So I had to pay $40.00 to get the 4 of us into the zoo, when it should have been free. I got home, and the pass was sitting on my kitchen counter.

This just happened to me too, but I didn't have the pass because we were several hours away for a wedding and hadn't planned on anything else. We spent the night and decided to go to that city's zoo the next day. We got to the admissions gate and I explained that we were members at another zoo, so she had me call our zoo, look up our info, I handed the phone and my driver's license to the employee there and she verified that we were zoo members and we got in free! It took about 15-20 minutes to deal with all of that, but totally worth it to save the $30 - $40 it would have cost us!

*BTMRR*
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
We bought, in advance, discount tickets to an amusement park we were going to visit on vacation.
We were about 6 hours down the road when I realized I had left the tickets at home.
We still went to the amusement park. Luckily this was before we had kids, so there were just two wasted tickets, but :headache:

junebugs
05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Mine is planning to make a purchase with a coupon but NOT reading the fine print on the coupon until the store clerk points out that the coupon is not good until some day in the future or expired or not good for the item I'm purchasing, etc...

Like this weekend, I told my DD she could by a craft kit a Michael's because we had a 40% off coupon, but of course the coupon didn't go into effect until the next day. :headache: The kit only cost $6 w/o the coupon, but still I would have felt better better if I'd paid $3.60 for it.

I don't know why I don't just skip buying w/o the coupon - but I almost never do. :sad2:

hodgieha
05-24-2010, 07:47 PM
My waste of money is a gym membership that automatically charges to my creditcard. It is 19.95 a month gym membership that I have not used in a year or so. My boyfriend also has the membership that he hasn't used in even a longer time then me. We keep saying we need to cancel and then we haven't yet (no go reason why that I can think of). I am wasting $240(480 if I include what he is wasting) a year on something I keep saying I will use but know that I won't.

MomtoEmIs&Ow
05-24-2010, 09:17 PM
I've got a good one.

How stupid was that?

Ouch! :eek:

MomtoEmIs&Ow
05-24-2010, 09:25 PM
My waste of money is a gym membership that automatically charges to my creditcard. It is 19.95 a month gym membership that I have not used in a year or so. My boyfriend also has the membership that he hasn't used in even a longer time then me. We keep saying we need to cancel and then we haven't yet (no go reason why that I can think of). I am wasting $240(480 if I include what he is wasting) a year on something I keep saying I will use but know that I won't.

CANCEL it tommorrow! Its nice out now you can do stuff outside! I did this too quite a few years back, but I was paying $20 every 2 wks :eek:

neatokimmo
05-24-2010, 09:38 PM

I did something similar at Dollywood. I took my BF with my free ticket not realizing that the free window started 2 days later. I felt stupid and it cost $50 - doh

mercydisney
05-24-2010, 09:53 PM
A couple a yrs ago I bought a Macclaren stroller to take to DW. I figured it would be cheaper to buy a stroller then to rent one for 10 days. Well we packed the car got to Disney and realized we never packed the stroller :scared1:. I ended renting a stroller for the same amount my MC cost.

Sagginit
05-24-2010, 10:33 PM
magazines that have my cc number and then automatically renew for higher than what i would have paid if i had not done that and they beg me to come back. i have two that do this and one i meant to cancel. the other is so important i dont care what i pay but i seriously didnt even want another year of the other one and it renewed like two months before it was over. i also have a million mycokerewards i could use for some and never think to b/c i just renew.

jessica52877
05-24-2010, 11:19 PM
I was just running to the mall tonight to grab a few t's from old navy and return shorts at TCP. Of course I found 2 pairs of new shorts I wanted from TCP and have a darn 15% off coupon sitting here next to the computer! Last week I forgot mine to Old Navy. I am usually really good about this kind of stuff.

And because Target super overcharged me tonight just wanted to throw out there to check your receipt! I was overcharged on the milk, dr pepper in bottles and crush in cans! Last week it was steak sauce and my mom was overcharged on some cleaning product. It is growing old!

I also didn't bring my bag into target to save my $.05. I even thought about it but didn't want to take the few things out of it that were in it.

smokeyblue
05-24-2010, 11:53 PM
My bf's truck has been riding rough for a year now. I kept telling him to bring it in. Growing up his dad worked for Ford and he always had new vehicles so he never had to do much for maintenance. We are going on a long trip over the holiday weekend so I finally told him to leave the keys so I can take it to the tire shop. It was maybe 3 miles to get to the shop; it was the scariest ride, I didn't realize how bad it was. They take one look at it and said when is the last time you had the tired rotated. I sheepishly had to reply NEVER! The took the front driver's tire off and showed it to me. There was a foot long area where the tread was warn down to steel!

We should had at least had 15,000 more miles on these tires which for us is 3 years of driving. So right before our trip my BF is going to have to pay $600 for a new set of tires. Moral of the story, get your tires rotated not only to save money but for your safety!

mrsklamc
05-25-2010, 08:27 AM
I do a lot of online purchasing from one particular store. I lost a ton of $ by using rewards site 'A' instead of reward site 'B' which gives double the amount of cash back. I was comfortable with site 'a' and didn't want to be bothered to look into site 'b'.

iwrbnd
05-25-2010, 08:36 AM
I do this ALL THE TIME and it makes me so mad! I rent a movie but never have time to watch it. Then I return it late, unwatched, and have to pay the fine!:headache:

MrandMissVacation
05-25-2010, 08:51 AM
We bought, in advance, discount tickets to an amusement park we were going to visit on vacation.
We were about 6 hours down the road when I realized I had left the tickets at home.
We still went to the amusement park. Luckily this was before we had kids, so there were just two wasted tickets, but :headache:

I did the same thing for Cedar Point a few years back. I was so mad at myself!! I did resell 2 of the tickets to a co worker and actually gave the two children's tickets away. I sucked it up as a pay it forward experience.

HLDisney
05-25-2010, 09:32 AM
My biggest offense is getting interested in doing some sort of craft (in my case, rubber stamping and paper-making), buying lots of the equipment and materials to do it with and then not getting around to it until a few years later when I end up giving away the stuff or just see it sitting on the shelf and realize how much money I wasted. Or I do get into the craft (in this case, digital scrapbooking) but I spend way too much money on it upfront, even though I know styles and trends will change over time and I should only buy what I'm going to use soon, not what looks nice or that I might like to use someday.

Helen

Pastamom
05-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I ordered something from amazon for Christmas which qualified for free shipping...accidentally hit express shipping AND sent it to my Dad' house. so not only did I pay for shipping that could have been free, I spent money to have it get to him quicker, then had to pay for him to ship it to me:confused3

plummer925
05-25-2010, 09:40 AM
My biggest offense is getting interested in doing some sort of craft (in my case, rubber stamping and paper-making), buying lots of the equipment and materials to do it with and then not getting around to it until a few years later when I end up giving away the stuff or just see it sitting on the shelf and realize how much money I wasted. Or I do get into the craft (in this case, digital scrapbooking) but I spend way too much money on it upfront, even though I know styles and trends will change over time and I should only buy what I'm going to use soon, not what looks nice or that I might like to use someday.

Helen

Helen - I do this too! You should SEE my fabric stash! I have a BRAND NEW sewing machine that my mom bought me for Christmas that is finally out of the box and on the sewing table I have set up...but I haven't used it yet! Sigh. And what's worse...I just bought even MORE fabric!!!

MrandMissVacation
05-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Helen - I do this too! You should SEE my fabric stash! I have a BRAND NEW sewing machine that my mom bought me for Christmas that is finally out of the box and on the sewing table I have set up...but I haven't used it yet! Sigh. And what's worse...I just bought even MORE fabric!!!

Guilty as as well
I do historical costuming. Too many projects that didn't turn out right. Bins full of fabric. Even a class on corset making ( it actually turned out beautifully) and so I bought more supplies to make another - haven't completed it.
Scrapbooking supplies. I decided to ONLY do vacation scrapbooks and my vacation from one year ago isn't finished. I even bought a fancy scrapbook cupboard to keep MY things seperate and organized.
And now I'm enamored with wanting to make beads out of molten glass-like he pandora beads. I'm looking to take a class with my mom and investing into a torch and related paraphanilla related to THIS art form.
This depresses me to write this, but I love creating beautif things and using my right brain. My job is very technical and boring at times. Call it justification,or excuses, but I need these pursuits.

HLDisney
05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I have lots of fabrics, too, but fortunately, that's one thing I do usually end up using eventually (although I do buy lots of new fabric, too:rolleyes1) I like to do quilting so I tend to make baby quilts for new babies and I've learned to use my fabric stash for those quilts instead of buying new.

But as for other crafts..... I've been decluttering our apt recently and I don't want to think about how many boxes full of craft materials I have. I just cleared out 2 big bags of kiddie craft materials to give to a friend who's a kindergarten teacher. I'm glad to help her out but I cringe when I think of how much money I wasted on those craft materials.

Helen

vicki_c
05-25-2010, 02:52 PM
A couple a yrs ago I bought a Macclaren stroller to take to DW. I figured it would be cheaper to buy a stroller then to rent one for 10 days. Well we packed the car got to Disney and realized we never packed the stroller :scared1:. I ended renting a stroller for the same amount my MC cost.

We forgot to take our custom-made Fish Extender ($35) on our cruise. It was left hanging on a doorknob in our bedroom and didn't realize it until we were almost at the airport and too late to turn back. I was so sad.

Another thing is (I didn't read the thread so don't know if anyone said this) forgetting to unsubscribe to anything that automatically charges your CC. I am now a member of South Beach Diet online for 3 more months because I forgot to cancel in time (I am cancelled now though).