PDA

View Full Version : Make-Up PRIMER....do u use it?

lisaross
05-24-2010, 07:23 AM
i was in Sephora last week - looking for a translucent powder - they recommended the Bare Essentuals Mineral Veil - i got tinted not sure if i like the tinted may get the regual translucent.

But anyway i got a sample of a primer - maybe the smashbox not sure of the brand, but i got the green - just put it on this am and wow it goes on so so smooth and feels great. I usually wear tinted moisturizer but she said to use the primer just w/the powder. anyway, how do u wear the primer - can u wear it alone? it just makes my skin feel GREAT!!

Wondering ur routine.

thank u

My5Mouseketeers
05-24-2010, 07:30 AM
I use Sue Devitt(?) primer. When I first bought it, I thought I was just letting them talk me into "another" product that I won't really use. I don't really wear a lot of make (and yes I am from NJ ;)

I love my primer. Mine is blue. It takes all the redness out of my pasty white skin. I use it with my tinted moisturizer and I think my skin looks and feels great. I actually think the little crease (wrinkle :eek:) that I was noticing above my eyebrow is going away.

I am very satisfied!

lisaross
05-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Do u also put on regular moisturizer b4 the primer?

I use Sue Devitt(?) primer. When I first bought it, I thought I was just letting them talk me into "another" product that I won't really use. I don't really wear a lot of make (and yes I am from NJ ;)

I love my primer. Mine is blue. It takes all the redness out of my pasty white skin. I use it with my tinted moisturizer and I think my skin looks and feels great. I actually think the little crease (wrinkle :eek:) that I was noticing above my eyebrow is going away.

I am very satisfied!

twinsplusone
05-24-2010, 08:09 AM
I use the Prescriptives primer. I have very oily skin so I don't use a moisturizer. Just the primer and then foundation. I love the way my skin feels and looks. The rest of my makeup goes on smoothly. I'll have to find another brand since Prescriptives is gone.

MsStinkerBelle
05-24-2010, 08:11 AM
I hadn't been using primer until my last trip to Disney World. I have very oily skin and the primer helps keep it in check and helps my makeup go on even better. I have the oil-free Light one from Smashbox but I tried a sample of MAC's oil-free primer and I am :cloud9:. I put the primer on after I've put on my acne meds and moisturizer. :thumbsup2

My5Mouseketeers
05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
As soon as I get out of the shower I put my moisturizer on. Then I comb out my hair, get dressed, make the bed (LOL) etc. Then I put on my make-up.

I do think I need a little bit of time for the moisturizer to "sink-in" before I put on the primer.

again, I love the way it cancels out the redness in my skin, without me having to wear a lot of make-up. I have two part-time jobs, one is a naturalist with the County Park System and the other is tutoring math at the local community college. Both jobs encourage a casual but neat appearance. Nothing to 'made-up (i.e. "Jersey Girl"). The primer helps me look like I have naturally even toned, smooth skin.

lisaross
05-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks, thats pretty much my routine - moisturize after washing my face, then let it soak in then i usually put on the tinted moisturizer, but now i have a tan so today i used the primer (for the 1st time) think i'm going to go out and buy it, i only have a sample and i LOVE how it feels - then i put the powder over - thinking i can probably wear the primer alone! I'm not a big make-up person either - throw on some mascara the days i work and lipgloss and i'm good to go.

I'm not sure i'm gonna keep my mineral veil - so messy - any tips on a good compact translucent powder???As soon as I get out of the shower I put my moisturizer on. Then I comb out my hair, get dressed, make the bed (LOL) etc. Then I put on my make-up.

I do think I need a little bit of time for the moisturizer to "sink-in" before I put on the primer.

again, I love the way it cancels out the redness in my skin, without me having to wear a lot of make-up. I have two part-time jobs, one is a naturalist with the County Park System and the other is tutoring math at the local community college. Both jobs encourage a casual but neat appearance. Nothing to 'made-up (i.e. "Jersey Girl"). The primer helps me look like I have naturally even toned, smooth skin.

If U Had Wings
05-24-2010, 09:30 AM
I've become completely hooked on using a primer on my face before my make-up, but mine is a bit unorthodox. I wash and moisterize my face in the morning and then run off to get dressed.

I then put the primer on and my mineral foundation on top of it. What's a bit unorthodox is my primer. I followed a tip I got ages ago here on the Dis boards and use Monistat Anti-Chafing gel. It sounds a bit strange, but it works fantastic. It's supposed to be nearly an exact dupe of Smashbox's primer ingredient wise, but at just a small portion of the price. It doesn't bother my sensitive skin at all. I can't live without it anymore.

sherry7
05-24-2010, 12:30 PM
You ladies are probably going to laugh at me, but I read about this last year on the Budget board, and it works great. Go to Walmart or the drug store and buy a tube of Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel. It's not the medicated kind you use up inside, but rather a gel (that dries like a powder) that you use for areas where you get chafed.

The main ingredient is dimethicone, which is the same ingredient as the uber-expensive Smashbox primer. Makeup message boards have many posts about this, and if you look at the reviews on Drugstore.com a lot of people talk about using it for a makeup primer. You use a very small amount...less than a pea size drop.

Best part? It only costs $6 - $8 for a tube that lasts close to a year with daily usage. My makeup used to literally slide off my face after a few hours, but with this, it still looks good when I take it off at bedtime.

This stuff is multi-purpose too. I sometimes use it for its intended purpose, which is chafing around my panty line and bra line. It's good to help prevent blisters on your feet too. My husband and son got chafed down below on vacation last year, and said it worked really well for that also. We now have 2 tubes of it in the house...one in my makeup bag, and another for its more practical purposes.

DisneyMomma81
05-24-2010, 12:33 PM
I also use the Monistat gel (http://www.amazon.com/Monistat-Soothing-Chafing-Powder-Gel-1-5-Ounce/dp/B001E96MG2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1274717887&sr=8-3)*here's Amazon reviews - several people mention using it as a primer* ~ works just fine, currently I'm using this (http://www.amazon.com/Remedy-Dimethicone-Barrier-Cream-Moisture/dp/B001D0QDW0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1245702336&sr=1-2) *which has Dimethicone **the active ingredient in the Monistat stuff.

I love DW
05-24-2010, 12:34 PM
I love the primer from smashbox, it's great. However, I've been using their powedered foundation "Halo" and I love it without using primer! It's light and doesn't make me feel like I'm wearing cake :)

dallastxcpa
06-07-2010, 08:24 AM
I picked up Maybeline's Anti Age Rewind Primer this weekend. I bought it along with the Age Rewinder Eraser foundation and got it for half off. It was regularly $8.99 so i picked it up for $4.50. :banana:

So far it feels great on my skin. So silky and soft. I will post back later on how it holds up today. I had read several reviews online and this primer got very good reviews so here is hoping.

On a side note I did look in Walmart, Walgreens and CVS for the anti-chaffing and was unable to find it.

gr8tdame
06-07-2010, 09:39 AM
I found the monostat anti chafing cream for around $5 at Walmart. However it took a while to find it. It was located next to the condoms, and near the monostat yeast infection creams.
I compared it to my smashbox primer and can find no difference. I used Smashbox on onehalf of my face and the monostat anti chafing on the other half.
The Monostat is a fraction of the Smashbox price.
Thanks for posting this info.....I am now a convert.
You guys rock.....wishing you all pixie dust.

MissBritt
06-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm a Floridian with oily skin... so I use a primer. :) I have tried about 20, but right now I am using Avon's MagiX primer, which I love. Others that I used and loved but can't justify the price of are Smashbox Photo Finish, MAC Matte Cream, and Tarte Clean Slate. Ones that broke me out MAC Prep+ Prime, Rimmel, and Sally Hansen. The rest didn't leave a big impression one way or the other.

vettechick99
06-07-2010, 10:23 AM
I just started using it and it does make a difference!

I started with Urban Decay's Potion for my eye lids only. It really keeps the shadow on all day. Amazing. So then a friend told me to get Rimmel's Fix & Perfect for my whole face. It also works great. It's about $7-8 a tube and lasts a month or so.

But the Urban Decay is pretty darn amazing! If they make a whole face one, I'd go that route.

Interesting about Monistat. I may try that!

robinb
06-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Please forgive a non-makeup wearing person's question. What is the "primer" supposed to do for you? I'm thinking the same thing as paint primer but maybe not :rotfl:.

vettechick99
06-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Please forgive a non-makeup wearing person's question. What is the "primer" supposed to do for you? I'm thinking the same thing as paint primer but maybe not :rotfl:.

It's exactly like that. It helps the makeup stay on longer. :)

MissBritt
06-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Primer helps even skin texture, smooth the appearance of fine lines, and make makeup wear longer and more true to color.

Straitlover
06-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm a Floridian with oily skin... so I use a primer. :) I have tried about 20, but right now I am using Avon's MagiX primer, which I love. Others that I used and loved but can't justify the price of are Smashbox Photo Finish, MAC Matte Cream, and Tarte Clean Slate. Ones that broke me out MAC Prep+ Prime, Rimmel, and Sally Hansen. The rest didn't leave a big impression one way or the other.

Too bad you don;t live near me! I ahve a whole unopened tube and almost another whole tube of the Avon Magix. I've tried it 3 times, and I keep breaking out.

Hated the Rimmel, Revlon Age Defying (or something like that) and Sally Hansen. Ulta has their own version, a Smashbox knockoff. It's OK, but you have the same problem of not being able to get all of it out of the bottle. Plus, it's hard to find. I wonder if they discontinued it? I am going to try the Monistat.

I HATE that they discontinued the Vital Radiance makeup line (think it was made by Revlon). They had the BEST primer. Tons of the VR showe dup at Big Lots, but I never found any primer.

MissBritt
06-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Lisa- Return it to Avon for a refund. I sold Avon for 4 years, and they have a great satisfaction guarantee. :)

Kate and Pete
06-07-2010, 01:52 PM
I found the monostat anti chafing cream for around $5 at Walmart. However it took a while to find it. It was located next to the condoms, and near the monostat yeast infection creams.
I compared it to my smashbox primer and can find no difference. I used Smashbox on onehalf of my face and the monostat anti chafing on the other half.
The Monostat is a fraction of the Smashbox price.
Thanks for posting this info.....I am now a convert.
You guys rock.....wishing you all pixie dust.

I was going to suggest this as well! I use the anti-chafing cream as primer and it's great! I think the tube costs around $5 - and mine lasts forever! :thumbsup2

Evi
06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
I love laura gellar spackle I've been using it for many years now with and without makeup.

dallastxcpa
06-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Well, so I tried the Maybeline primer today. While it held up well I was a little dissapointed but I will try it again because we broke a 100 degrees here in Dallas again today and the humidity was unbelievable. I felt like I was in a sauna.

On a side note I went to walmart tonight and thanks to the suggestion above I found the anti-chaffing gel. :thumbsup2

Belle599
06-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Another vote for the Monistat!
I've been using the Monistat anti chafing gel for several months now and it does work great, especially for 5 bucks.
We don't have it in Canada (where I live) so I always grab a tube when we're in FL. :bride:

MinnieForMe
06-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Hi:
I use the Bare Minerals powder. I have oily skin but would love to use a tinted primer. Which one would you ladies suggest?

The Monistat Anti-Chafing gel isn't tinted.

Melindarella
06-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Just recently bought the Monistat anti-chafing gel, after hearing good reviews in this thread and have to say it's great! Goes on silky smooth and my make-up lasts much longer than it did before using it. :goodvibes

branv
06-14-2010, 12:25 PM
So on most days I typically only put on moisturizer, followed by a little under-eye concealer and Age Defying pressed powder, mascara and lip stain. Is there any reason to use a primer if you don't really wear foundation, blush or eyeshadow?

dennise
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Since we can't get it in Canada, I did look in Florida when we were there in April, but still couldn't find it. Do most Walmarts carry it?

Gigi22
06-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Back when I wore makeup every day, I used Smashbox primer on days when my skin felt dry or looked dried out. The primer seemed to hydrate my skin, and make it easier to apply foundation smoothly.

curlybop
06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
I was about to post the same thing about Monistat. Sounds so strange but works really well. :laughing: I really love how it makes my eyeshadow stay all day.

meanser
06-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Monistat - great idea! I love smashbox's primer, but it is crazy expensive!

Belle599
06-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Since we can't get it in Canada, I did look in Florida when we were there in April, but still couldn't find it. Do most Walmarts carry it?

Dennise, I got mine at Target right beside the yeast infection Monistat (yes weird shelf placement!). :rolleyes:

lisaross
06-14-2010, 08:32 PM
does the monistat just help keep ur makeup on, or does it even out ur skin tone as well? i tried the "green" smashbox which i like.

thanx

Lucky4me
06-15-2010, 05:03 AM
Another Monistat chafing gel user. Love it for a makeup primer. It also is a great hair tamer believe it or not. The tiniest bit run through wet hair helps keep the frizzies away.

mdsouth
06-15-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure i'm gonna keep my mineral veil - so messy - any tips on a good compact translucent powder???

I have always liked Cornsilk brand for translucent powder. :thumbsup2
It comes in compact and loose. It is the best. It gives you a natural look. I really prefer it to other brands that I have tried over the years. It is very economical too -around six dollars. However, lately, I am finding it harder to find. Not as many stores carry it anymore.

MissBritt
06-15-2010, 09:07 AM
For those looking for new beauty items...

check out makeupalley.com. Read ratings and reviews for tens of thousands of beauty items from women world-wide. I love it!

Irin997
06-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Another :thumbsup2 for the Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel. I've been using it for about 2 years. I first started with Smashbox primer and when I ran out I really didn't feel like spending $40. Thankfully I found out about the Monistat gel! However I never thought about using it for eyes and eyeshadow - thanks!

Poohlovr
06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Evidently not all Wal-Marts carry it. I looked at the store closest to me today and they don't have it. They had the chafing relief powder, but not the anti-chafing gel.

My closest Walgreens also didn't carry it. They checked the computer for me.

On another note, my dd read on makeupalley.com that you can use a hair serum to do the same thing (works as primer and works well for anti-chafing). I know that Bio-Silk hair serum feels about the same as my Smashbox primer. Just wondering if any of you have tried a hair serum? Sally's carries their own brand of hair serum that is inexpensive. Wonder is that would work?

abmitch01
06-15-2010, 02:37 PM
does everyone do primer after moisturizer?

ajw1117
06-15-2010, 02:42 PM
for those looking for monistat primer drugstore.com sells it and if you go to http://www.naughtycodes.com/ they have a free shiping offer

trustknoone
06-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm a big fan of Avon Magix, I like that it has SPF 20. I would try the Monistat but without the SPF that would just be 1 more thing I would need to layer on and when I catch the Avon on sale it's about the same price. Someone mentioned Cornsilk pressed powder, Love It, it's my fav powder ever and inexpensive, I get it at CVS, at the remodeled CVSs here it's not with the other makeup stuff it's down by the Sally Hansen stuff.

ilovejack02
06-15-2010, 06:42 PM
HOLY MOLY.. all these years of spending big bucks on primer!! Who knew, Monistat antichafing gel !! I am off to Wally World to find it!

Looked it up on Makeupalley , got amazing reviews!!

Thanks for the budget tip ladies.

m&m's mom
06-17-2010, 09:38 AM
I am confused. Is "Chafing Relief Powder Gel" the same as "Anti-chafing gel"?

ETA: OK Amazon review is on the Chafing Relief Powder Gel" so I guess I am ok.

SamSam
06-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Just have to say thank you for the tip about Monistat antichafing gel. I went to pick some up at Wal-mart, they didn't have it but Target did.
I tried it and it felt just like Smashbox's expensive primer. Yay! I love a good bargain.

branv
06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I took all your advice and bought this to add to my makeup routine.

So I thought I'd pass along this quite good price I found when comparing prices:

My Rx provider has a drugstore site available to anyone: Medco Health. They had the chafing gel for $5.99/ea, and if you buy two it takes $1 off each of the items, making it $4.99/ea. Shipping was .99.

In short, two bottles with shipping, cost: $10.97.

AND, this was covered as an FSA expenditure, so really cost nothing out of my regular bank account ;)

http://www.medcohealthstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=139254&catid=150595&trx=GFI-0-EVGR-91292&trxp1=149133&trxp2=139254&trxp3=1&trxp4=2&btrx=BUY-GFI-0-EVGR-91292

abmitch01
06-18-2010, 11:16 AM
smacks head- never thought of the FSA angle! good thinking

m&m's mom
06-18-2010, 11:45 AM
I took all your advice and bought this to add to my makeup routine.

So I thought I'd pass along this quite good price I found when comparing prices:

My Rx provider has a drugstore site available to anyone: Medco Health. They had the chafing gel for $5.99/ea, and if you buy two it takes $1 off each of the items, making it $4.99/ea. Shipping was .99.

In short, two bottles with shipping, cost: $10.97.

AND, this was covered as an FSA expenditure, so really cost nothing out of my regular bank account ;)

http://www.medcohealthstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=139254&catid=150595&trx=GFI-0-EVGR-91292&trxp1=149133&trxp2=139254&trxp3=1&trxp4=2&btrx=BUY-GFI-0-EVGR-91292

That's great! I have Merck-medco too.

averill94
06-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Need to chime in.... I gave the monistat a try and am very happy with it!
I have rosascea (skin gets very red) and somehow this really took the redness away! I only use it once a day and now might even redo in the afternoon.

How did somebody ever figure out ministate anti chafing would make a great primer?!

abmitch01
06-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I don't think I want to know the answer to that question, lol

lilosurf11
06-26-2010, 09:18 PM
I use Clinique's City Block with the 25 SPF, but I'm thinking about trying a different one, maybe a gel. Any suggestions? :confused3

SamSam
06-26-2010, 10:50 PM
smacks head- never thought of the FSA angle! good thinking

Is this the same as an HSA? I have a Health Savings Account and never thought about writing off face stuff....sound nice.

Fly4free
06-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Picked up a tube at the CVS. I also had a $1 off coupon. Great deal and it's been a great help with keeping the makeup on in this heat, even though nothing could stay on outdoors in this 95 degree heat wave. :rotfl:

Another great tip from my Dis pals, Thanks!

branv
06-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Is this the same as an HSA? I have a Health Savings Account and never thought about writing off face stuff....sound nice.

I'm going to say they are similar in what are considered eligible expenses. I believe the Monistat anti-chafing cream is covered b/c its primary use is technically considered (on a list I found of eligible FSA and HSA products) a "topical cream for itching, stinging, burning, pain relief, sore healing or insect bites." So I'm going to say since the websites all say "FSA eligible" on the product, then it will be HSA covered.

SamSam
06-28-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm going to say they are similar in what are considered eligible expenses. I believe the Monistat anti-chafing cream is covered b/c its primary use is technically considered (on a list I found of eligible FSA and HSA products) a "topical cream for itching, stinging, burning, pain relief, sore healing or insect bites." So I'm going to say since the websites all say "FSA eligible" on the product, then it will be HSA covered.

Thanks, I'm going to dig our my receipt.

BarbieGal457
06-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Primer is a God-send! I have so many, but my favorite is definitely from MAC. It's a bit on the pricey side (I believe it's about $30USD) but it's so worth it. My makeup is flawless and never greasy! I use it under my TEMPTU air brush system from Sephora and it looks great. They say the TEMPTU has built-in primer, but I find it looks gross without my MAC. It lasts absolutely forever too. I use half a pump - about a pea size - and it's been going strong for over six months. I usually can't tell exactly, but I bought it in Vegas on New Year's Eve day, so that's how I remembered!

sharon_wv
07-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I took all of the great advice and thought I'd give the Monistat a try. I've never used a primer, but have heard good things & thought the $6.00 investment wouldn't break the bank if I didn't like it. I love it! The tube is now in my makeup bag...

This past weekend, we were at a family get together around a pool. The kids were running between the pool and a moon bounce all day. Two of my nephews both ended up screaming and crying by late afternoon because their bathing suits were rubbing against their "junk" and the insides of their thighs :-) ..... Aunt Sharon to the rescue... I grabbed my makeup bag and shared the Monistat w/ the boys' moms. Cured the crying and screaming.

So, not only did my makeup look great ... I had the stuff handy to fix issues that the stuff was made for. I must say though, everyone did give me strange looks when I pulled that stuff out of my make up bag... hee hee. But I'll bet they have already been to Walmart to buy for themselves.

Thanks for the tips! Lovin' it!

Crystal0608
07-08-2010, 02:04 PM
I've bought the chafing cream once before for our legs at Disney, never would have thought of using it on my face. So much cheaper than smashbox and works great! I have to go in our plant at work frequently (95+deg this week hot!) and my makeup still looks good in the afternoon.