PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Recipes

dizneegirl
08-12-2002, 11:48 AM
I'm going to go ahead and start a new post just for low-carb recipies, if that's alright with everyone. That way, we can find them easily.

I'll post recipes I've tried that have turned out well. Feel free to add to it!

I pulled a few out of the "help" thread... if I missed any, or you want to post more, please do!

dizneegirl
08-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Wovenwonder's Brocolli Salad

Broccolli Florets
Crumbled cooked bacon (reserve drippings)
Shredded cheddar cheese
chopped onion

Dressing -- Mayo, bacon drippings, and Splenda to taste

Mix first four ingredients and toss with Dressing.

YUMMY!
:)

dizneegirl
08-12-2002, 11:57 AM
Lettuce Tuna Rolls

1 can tuna
1-2 T mayo
1 T pickle relish with jalepeno (Mt. Olive brand - good stuff!)
a drizzle of hot pepper juice

Mix ingredients into tuna salad. Spoon equal amounts onto 4 boston lettuce leaves. Roll up leaves. Serves 2 (or 1 if you're hungry!)

From my calculations, it's only about 4 grams of carbs for the whole recipe... there are 4 grams/tablespoon in the pickle relish, and just trace in the lettuce & pepper juice. It was yummy... refreshing, light, and a little spicy!

Note: You could also use dill pickle relish with 0 carbs... would make this pretty close to a free food!

dizneegirl
08-12-2002, 12:00 PM
TinkerPixie's Breakfast "Cereal"

1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 packet of Equal
2 tablespoons of sugar free maple syrup

Mix cottage cheese and chopped nuts. Sprinkle with Equal, and top with sugar free maple syrup.

dizneegirl
08-12-2002, 12:05 PM
Spicy Cabbage-Meat Stir Fry

1/2 lb. hot sausage (bulk)
1/2 lb. ground beef
half a medium cabbage (about 1 lb.), sliced thin (like cole slaw)

Cook sausage and beef, adding black pepper to taste. Add cabbage, and continue to cook over medium-high heat. Add soy sauce, and cook until cabbage is somewhat wilted (approx. 10-15 minutes).

A little spicy, a little crunchy. Whole recipe comes to 26 grams of carbs... 4 servings easy as a main meal, 6-8 as a side.

dizneegirl
08-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Sausage Cheese Balls

2 packages hot sausage (the bulk packages - I used Tennessee Pride)
1 1/2 cups Atkins baking mix
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1/2 cup jalepeno, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Form into 1" balls, and place on non-greased cookie sheet (I'd use one with sides, there's some grease that bakes out). Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

NOTE: My balls came out a little bigger than 1", and I had 45 of them. I also cooked them longer than 15 minutes.

The whole recipe is about 30 grams of carbs. About .75 g per ball (if you make the bigger balls). Makes a YUMMY snack. Spicy & filling... you feel like you've actually eaten something.

You can also freeze the uncooked balls... cook some now, some later. I would guess you could halve the recipe as well, if you didn't want to make so many at once.

NOTE: Recalculated the carbs... the recipe is actually under 30 carbs. DH & I figure balls are closer to .5 carbs per (dependent on size, of course!) :) We've also been eating these almost daily as a snack... they're MUCH better hot than cold, and we haven't gotten tired of them yet!

dizneegirl
08-12-2002, 12:19 PM
Helen's "Potato" Salad (from Linda's Low Carb Menu & Recipes (http://webpages.charter.net/genaws3/))

16 oz. bag frozen cauliflower
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 green onions
3 T. yellow mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 t. pepper, or to taste
1/2 t. salt, or to taste

Cook the cauliflower until soft, but not mushy; drain well. Cool, then cut in small pieces. Mix the mustard with the mayonnaise, then mix all ingredients into the cauliflower. Chill at least 2 hours. Makes 6-8 servings (6 servings - 6 carbs) (8 servings - 4 carbs)

NOTE: I used white onion, instead of the green (probably 1/4 cup). This is really good! Believe it or not, it actually DOES taste a lot like potato salad... think I'll be making it when we have company next month.

dizneegirl
08-12-2002, 12:24 PM
Mashed "Faux-Tatos"

Makes 2 servings
Per serving: 160 calories; 8.5 grams carbohydrates; 4.0 grams fiber

3 cups cauliflower florets
4 Tbsp. cream cheese
1 Tbsp. butter
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Steam cauliflower until soft. Measure cream cheese into a bowl and cut into small pieces. Drain cauliflower and add to cream cheese in bowl. Using potato masher, mash the cauliflower and cheese together until mixed. Or if you prefer a smoother consistency, use electric mixer. Add butter and salt and pepper and continue mashing or beating until thoroughly mixed and/or the texture you prefer for mashed potatoes.

NOTE: I can't remember where I found this one... it was on the net somewhere! ;) I was doubtful, but this is good. I made half the recipe for 2 servings as a side, and it was plenty (not to mention, lower carbs!). I used a potato masher, and it was definitely not the consistency of mashed potatos, but tasted wonderful! Next time, I think I'd try using the mixer & getting a smoother consistency.

Rhonda
08-13-2002, 10:24 AM
Here's my favorite!!

Lime Chicken in Cream Sauce

chicken breasts -- skinless and boneless.
diet lime soda (Diet Sprite)
sour cream

Directions:

Saute the chicken breasts in olive oil until browned on both sides.

Pour in enough lime soda to cover the chicken; cover the pan and let simmer until chicken is done.

Remove chicken. Reduce liquid to 1/2 - 3/4 cup.

Add enough sour cream to liquid to thicken it and let flavors meld. Pour over chicken. Garnish with sliced limes and serve!

This is delicious! I even serve it to company - it's so good, that they want to know what's in it, and they don't believe me when I tell them!

wovenwonder
08-13-2002, 05:20 PM
Check this link for LOTS of recipe's. If you've tried any of these and can tell us how 'great' they are -- please post them individually to this thread -- and maybe I'll try them too.

I keep wanting to try the mock danish --- but don' take the time!
:D
http://www.pfangserver.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=9

dizneegirl
08-16-2002, 10:14 AM
OK, you HAVE to try the Mock Danish!

Mock Danish

2 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1 Tbs. Splenda
1 tsp. lemon concentrate
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Soften cream cheese in microwave. Mix cream cheese and egg thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Microwave on High for 2 minutes.

Should figure to about 3 - 3.5 grams of carbs for the whole thing.

Notes: I used lemon extract - don't know if they meant actual lemon juice concentrate, but extract was what I had. I softened the cream cheese for 30 seconds or so in the microwave. I also cooked it for about 2 1/2 minutes. The 2 minutes is good, but a little eggy in the middle... the 2 1/2 minutes makes it a little more "bready"... fluffier & drier. I also microwaved it right in the cereal bowl I mixed it in.

I also tried a chocolate version, but don't have it quite right yet... I think it needs more chocolate & maybe more Splenda. I used 1/2 tsp. cocoa powder, 1 tsp. sugar free chocolate syrup & 2 packets Splenda, and took out the lemon concentrate. I'll post the final when I get the chocolate right... kind of like a weak brownie right now.

TinkerPixie
08-16-2002, 08:11 PM
Be sure and postwhen you get the chocolate one right, I'd love to try that.:D

I made fried chicken last night, DH has been attempting to eat with me on this diet, but he was craving fried chicken...so, I ground up about a half bag of pork rinds an that is what I breaded the chicken pieces with, then deep fried them. They were excellent! I did discover, that to make the crumbs adhere to the meat an egg wash was necessary, I just mixed up 1 egg with about three tablespoons of ranch dressing, and drenched the meat in that before frying. The dressing helped mask some of the pork rind flavor. This is definetly one I'll do again.

I'm going to try the pork rind crumbs to make salmon patties with a dill cream sauce... If it's good, I'll post it ;)

dizneegirl
08-17-2002, 09:43 AM
Spicy Fried Mozerella Sticks

2 pieces string cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup crushed hot & spicy pork rinds
oil

Cut string cheese in half across the middle, then in half again length-wise.

Dip in egg, then roll in pork rind crumbs.

Fry in hot oil - careful not to overcook or your cheese will run!

Remove to plate and dip in Bleu Cheese dressing (or Ranch, or Salsa, or your favorite low carb marinara...)

Makes one serving. Count carb grams in cheese and whatever dip you choose.

Notes: I was down to the end of a bag of the hot & spicy pork rinds (you know, where all the really hot stuff is!), and thought, hmmmmm, I bet this on fried mozerella would be good! Sure enough... the mozerella and the bleu cheese dip takes the sting out of the hot spices, yet leaves enough flavor to have a little kick.

I also didn't feel like getting out the deep fryer, so I just poured a little peanut oil in a small pan, and fried them in that, turning them a couple of times.

DixieDreamer
08-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Here's a favorite dessert of mine now:

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

1/4 cup of heavy cream
1 TBS of Atkins dry Chocolate Shake Mix
2 packets of Splenda

Mix the ingredients together. Continue to mix vigorously until all the dry ingredients are incorporated smoothly into the cream and it thickens up. This is absolutely DELICIOUS and has about 4 carbs per serving and 255 calories.

dizneegirl
08-19-2002, 10:07 AM
DG's Frosty

3/8 cup heavy cream
3/8 cup half and half
1/8 cup SF chocolate syrup
1/4 cup Egg Beaters
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 packets Splenda

Mix all ingredients together, and pour into freezer mug. Cover mug. Stir every 15-30 minutes (depending on mug, freezer, etc.) until desired consistency. Then, eat it straight out of the mug... Yum!

Approx. 7 grams of carbs for the whole thing. It's rich though, so you can easily split it into 2 servings.

Notes: I got hungry for ice cream, but don't have an ice cream maker (and no SF stuff in our grocery stores, either!) So I played around and came up with this... it's good, and you don't need any special equipment to make it (though you do need a couple of hours to stir & freeze). It's not quite ice cream, more of a Frosty or frozen hot chocolate from Dairy Queen. I used Atkins' Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup, and I think it caused little ice crystals, but with the flavor, I really didn't mind the texture!

Use Egg Beaters or equivalent (use 1 serving), since you're not going to cook this before you freeze it... they're pasteurized - better than a raw egg (though, if you'd rather use a raw egg, you can).

Get one of the freezer mugs you find at Walmart, etc... the ones with the liquid in it.

I covered the mug with an old margarine lid. Covering it is important (it wasn't freezing up without it)... and I don't know if Saran Wrap would be enough.

You may be able to cut down on the Splenda, this is just what I used. It makes a VERY sweet mix, but isn't excessively sweet once it freezes.

dizneegirl
08-20-2002, 05:16 PM
Tried another one from the lowcarbfriends.com board... This one is EASY and good!

Pepperocini Beef

Put a 4-5 lb roast (I buy whatever is on sale) in the crockpot and dump a good size jar of pepperocinis with juice on top. Cook on high for 1/2 hour then reduce to low and cook for 8-10 hours.

"This is spicy but soooo good!. I usually don't eat the peppers, the beef is excellent served on those microwaved cheddar or parmesan cheese chips things." (from the chef)

Note: This was really good! The outside is spicy, but not all the way through. We ate the pepperocinis too - they were wonderful! Although, don't make the mistake I did and leave the crockpot on high all day. ;) Though, the juice from the crockpot is great over the meat, in case it's a little dry.

dizneegirl
08-22-2002, 09:05 AM
WASA Pizza

Wasa Light Rye or Soya cracker
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced (or a couple slices off a regular tomato)
Pepperoni (or pizza topping of choice)
Mozarella
Oregano
Garlic Powder
Mrs. Dash

Put Wasa cracker on a pizza rack (if you have one) or small cookie sheet. Line with tomato slices. Sprinkle with garlic powder, oregano and Mrs. Dash. Line with pepperoni (as much as you want - double layer is great!). Top with mozarella cheese.

Put under broiler for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned & bubbly. Enjoy!

Approx. 6 carb grams per pizza.

One makes a great snack, two would probably make a meal.

dizneegirl
08-24-2002, 03:47 PM
Another good one... this one from Low Carb Luxury (http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-veggieside15.html)

Peppery Turnip Fries

Ingredients:

8 medium turnips (about 2 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon Splenda
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (sea salt works best)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Olive oil spray
Lime juice

Peel the turnips with a vegetable peeler, slice and cut into 2 1/2-by-1/2-inch sticks. Pour 1/2 cup heavy cream into a large bowl and place the turnip sticks into the cream. Fill bowl with cold water until the turnips are completely covered. Add 1 teaspoon Splenda. Swirl a bit to mix and allow to sit in cream mixture for 10-15 minutes. (This cream-soaking step removes the "bite" flavor of the turnips, leaving them with a milder, more potato-like flavor.) Rinse in colander with cool water and pat dry.

Preheat oven to 425°F.
Combine turnip sticks with the nutmeg, pepper, sea salt and Parmesan cheese in a large plastic (Ziploc-type) bag. Seal the bag and shake well to coat the turnip sticks.

Spray 2 large baking sheets lightly with the olive oil spray. Spread the turnips in a single layer on the sheets and spray again with the olive oil.

Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 15 minutes. Turn the fries over and continue baking for 15 minutes, until the fries are tender and golden in color. Serve hot with a sprinkle of lime juice.

Makes 8 servings. Approximately 4.5 carbohydrate grams per serving.

Notes: I used 3 turnips (.75 pounds) and cut down the ingredients in about half, just about right for 2 hungry people. These are a little sweeter than french fries, but very good. Don't cut them too large or thick... the sweet/turnip taste comes out then... but shoestring, or the fresh-cut fry size is just about perfect. To get them crispy, I think you'd have to bake them longer than the 30 minutes, or maybe bake them on a pizza rack (wire or perforated). We skipped the lime juice, and ate them with mayo... yummy!

dizneegirl
09-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Another one from the lowcarbfriends.com bulletin boards...

Deep Dish Pizza

Egg crust:
4 ounces cream cheese
3 eggs
1/3 cup cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups shredded italian cheese blend
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1 cup of mozzarella cheese

Beat together cream cheese and eggs until smooth.
Add cream, parmesan cheese, and spices. Blend well.
Sprinkle 2 cups italian cheeses into dish.
Pour egg mixture over it.
Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.
Let stand for 5 minutes.

Spread on pizza sauce.
Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
Pile crust with your favorite toppings.
Sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese.
Return to oven and bake until bubbly and golden brown.
Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Notes: If you want it to be more of a crust than a quiche, I'd recommend using a small cookie sheet/jelly roll pan (about 10 1/2" x 15 1/2"), and baking it a few minutes longer than the recipe says (or until it turns a golden brown). I get a carb count of 16g for the whole crust... be sure to count up your toppings - they can add up! This is YUMMY! Even DH (the skeptic) thought it was great. Good as cold leftovers, too.

dizneegirl
01-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Took me a while to find this again...

Anyway - another recipe... good for fiber & omega-3 fatty acids, and for those days you just "gotta have" a little something sweet & bready... (of course, it helps if you like bran muffins...) Makes a good breakfast or snack item... and wonderful hot with a BIG smear of butter! :)

Bran/Flax Muffins

1 c. wheat bran
1 egg
1/2 c. cream
1/2 c. vanilla DaVinci syrup
2 T. melted butter

Mix and let stand 10 minutes.

In another bowl, mix:

1 c. flaxseed meal
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
3 packets Splenda or Stevia - optional

Add dry mixture to wet ingredients, spoon into 12 muffin cups, bake at 400° for 25 minutes.

2 grams (or under) ECC each.

dizneegirl
01-06-2003, 04:43 PM
Chocolate Chunk Cookies

3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cups splenda (or equivalent... I use liquid Stevia instead to cut carbs)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 tablespoons butter (softened)
2 Carbolite chocolate candy bars (milk or dark)

Combine almond flour, protein powder, baking powder & soda and Splenda in large bowl and set aside. (if you use liquid Stevia, do not add it here).

Mix eggs and vanilla (and liquid Stevia if you're using it) in another bowl. Set aside.

Add egg mixture to dry mixture and mix well. Add softened butter.

Chop up Carbolite bars into chocolate chip-sized chunks.

Add chocolate chunks to cookie dough and stir together until incorporated. Drop dough by large spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

NOTES : These are more cake-y than regular chocolate chip cookies, and don't flatten out any as they cook, but are really good for those "gotta have a sweet" times.

I get about 18 cookies... depending on your protein powder carb count, these are 1-2 ECC each.

Any sugar-free chocolate bar or sugar-free chocolate chips will work in place of the Carbolite bars.

dizneegirl
01-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Easy Roasted Chicken

Preheat oven to 375°. Cut a whole fryer chicken down bottom side, so it will lay flat in pan, and place in roasting pan. Season with salt & pepper.

Pour 1 - 1 1/2 cups of dry vermouth (don't use sweet... dry has 2 carbs per 8 oz... sweet has about 30-some) over top.

Peel one head of garlic (approx. 15 cloves), and pile on top of chicken.

Slice 3 stalks of celery, and one small yellow onion into chunks, pile on top of garlic and chicken.

Cover roasting pan, bake for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Chicken will be tender and flavorful!

Buckalew
01-17-2003, 07:24 PM
WOW! Dizneegirl, thanks! These sound delicious.
I gotta try those cookies when I am off induction!!

I need to ask... what is vanilla DaVinci syrup? Where in the store should I look for this? Thanks!

Today I tried some Diet Rite cola sweetened w/ Splenda. I thought it was great. Of course, I can drink any kind of soda (Coke or Pepsi--diet or regular). Aspartane (sp?) really bothers my body/joints. I was glad to find a treat without it. :)

MaryAnnDVC
01-17-2003, 08:40 PM
I was wondering what kind of soda had splenda!

I gotta try some of these recipes too. :)

wovenwonder
01-17-2003, 09:22 PM
I just bought the 'diet' Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate. It is also sweetened with Splenda and only has 2 grams of carbs. I am anxious to give it a try. It will be nice to have a little something 'legal' to satisfy those chocolate cravings. PLUS with the bitter cold weather the hot drink will feel wonderful!

DixieDreamer
01-17-2003, 09:47 PM
Hi everyone! :wave:

Sugar Free Davinci Syrup is available usually in your coffee section of the grocery store. There is the full sugar syrups... and the Sugar Free... get the sugar free! It is made with liquid splenda so it does not have carbs like the packages of splenda have. It is a great substitute to use in baking and for things like Whipped Cream. I get a couple of bottles of the SF Davinci Vanilla syrups whenever they are on sale.

The soda made with splenda is Diet Rite. I like the raspberry and white grape Diet Rite sodas. They are very good. :)

WebmasterAlex
01-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Deep fry a bunch of chicken wings, soak them in butter mixed with hot sauce and eat them with some blue cheese dressing :)
Nothing like buffaloe wings!

dizneegirl
01-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Another good little treat, especially if you need something a little sweet, or need to add a little fat (I seem to lose better with a little more fat added) is this:

Diet Rite Tangerine and 2-3 tablespoons of cream in a glass, lightly mixed, no ice. Just like a liquid creamsicle!

Or, if you don't mind aspartame...

Diet A&W Rootbeer with cream. Scrumptious!

:)

dizneegirl
01-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Had these the other night with baby back ribs... they were WONDERFUL!

Scalloped Turnips with Blue Cheese

4 medium sized turnips - peeled and sliced thin
1 medium onion - sliced thin
2 tablespoons butter - melted
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon ground sage (optional)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Salt and pepper

Simmer cream, garlic and desired spices in medium sauce pan until slightly thickened.
Add blue cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
Combine turnips, onions and melted butter in a large bowl.
Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange half of the turnip mixture in 9x9 casserole.
Pour half of cream mixture over.
Repeat layering with remaining turnip mixture and cream mixture.
Sprinkle some remaining cheese on top.
Bake covered at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.
Remove cover for last 10 minutes of baking until slightly golden brown.
Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

inky dinky doo
01-31-2003, 11:30 AM
I just have to tell everyone what a knock-out wovenwonder's broccoli salad is! I'm sitting here eating a bowl of it for lunch, and it is delish! A very nice change from my normal leafy lettuce salad lunch!!

The only thing I did different was to use mozzarella instead of cheddar (no cheddar in the fridge this morning) and to add some cauliflower that I was trying to get rid of. In my personal opinion, the broccoli is better, but the cauliflower is OK.

Yum!! Yum!! This recipe's a keeper! Thanks, wovenwonder, for sharing.

Pat

309 days and counting . . . again

glo
02-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Just made this one tonight for dinner...was quick qand easy to make :)

Exported from MasterCook

MEAT CRUST - PIZZA

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : 0-5G Low Carb Pizza
Substitute Pizza Zold

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
---CRUST---
3 lb ground beef -- 1.5kg
3 eggs
1 onion -- finely chopped (or
substitute dried onion chips)
2 cl garlic -- finely chopped (or
substitute garlic powder)
1 tbsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp fennel seed
---FILLING---
2 1/4 cups plum tomatoes -- drained and chopped
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
salt and pepper -- to taste
---TOPPING---
1/2 lb mozzarella cheese
sausage or pepperoni
oregano
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Mix together crust ingredients. Separate into 2 pieces and flatten them onto cookie sheets. They will be about 1/2" thick when you are done. Bake for 30 min; pour off any fat that may have collected. Meanwhile, mix together the filling ingredients. Spread over both crusts. Put your toppping ingredients on and put back in the oven for about 15 min.
I made this today and realized I had not tomatoes when the crust was in the oven. I made a quick sauce using tomato sauce, basil, oregano, seasoned salt, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. I didn't simmer it long and didn't use very much and the pizza was better than the above recipe. I don't use commercial sauce because they put lots of corn syrup in. But tomato sauce from a can has only 4g in 1/4c. Enjoy.

nativetxn
02-05-2003, 06:30 PM
glo, that sounds really good. I'll have to try that pizza when I get back from Texas.

wovenwonder
02-06-2003, 07:19 AM
Sounds like a keeper Glo! I'm looking forward to trying the meat crust pizza this weekend - thanx!

dizneegirl
02-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Porridge

1/3 cup ricotta cheese
3 Tbs. heavy cream
1 egg
2-3 Tbs. flax meal (ground flax seeds)
sugar-free maple syrup, Davinici/Torani, or Splenda
cinnamon

Combine ricotta, cream and egg in microwave-safe bowl and mix well. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Mixture should thicken to cream of wheat consistency. (You can also do it on the stove, stirring constantly until mix thickens, but it makes a messy pan!)

Add flax meal, sweetner of choice (Log Cabin sugar-free syrup is WONDERFUL), and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and stir well. Eat while warm.

This is good on cold mornings... just like a bowl of oatmeal! Add a little cocoa and chocolate extract, and it makes for a good warm dessert, too.

dizneegirl
02-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Scrambled Eggs to Go

1 dozen eggs
1 lb. sausage (we like spicy)
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Brown and crumble sausage. Let cool, and add eggs and cheese... mix well. Pour into 18 greased muffin tins. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

These are quick & easy, keep well in the fridge, and reheat wonderfully (1 1/2 minutes in the microwave). A good option for people who don't like quiche (like me!), and need something quick in the morning. We have 2 or 3 for a serving (3 muffins = 2 eggs).

dizneegirl
02-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

2 cups heavy cream
2 eggs
1 cup vanilla sugar-free Davinci syrup
1/3 cup xylitol
1/8 tsp. powdered Stevia concentrate
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
10 drops green food coloring
1 Tbs. liquid lecithin
1 Tbs. glycerin
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
2 large Carbolite dark chocolate bars, chopped into chip-sized pieces

Mix all ingredients, except chocolate chips, well with whisk. Chill "batter" in freezer for 30 minutes or overnight in fridge.

Pour into ice cream maker, freeze until nearly done. About 5-10 minutes before ice cream is finished, add chocolate chips.

-----

This is wonderful eaten right away, and can also be frozen for later... the lecithin, glycerine and xanthan make it easily scoopable, even after being frozen for days. The xylitol/stevia combination doesn't leave any aftertaste, and adds no carbs to the ice cream. The xylitol adds a little "sugar bulk" to it as well. Great texture, great taste! I missed my ice cream!

PS - The whole recipe is right around 16 net carbs. At 4 large servings, that's only 4g per serving. We got 6 servings out of it. I'm pretty sure you could get 8 1/2 cup servings, but I'm not quite THAT disciplined!

dizneegirl
02-28-2003, 01:33 PM
These are a great bread substitute!

Sherrie makes them in a waffle iron, but you can also cook them in a sandwich maker, or like pancakes on the stove top. I'm betting you could also bake them on parchment paper, though I haven't tried it yet.

VERY nice to have a ham & cheese sandwich again!

Note: I don't use the whole 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder... it makes them VERY garlicy. I've also cut the cream in half and added a cup of shredded cheddar... delicious!

-----

Sherrie's Savory Burger Bun

*Preheat waffle iron

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/2 cup Atkins Bake Mix
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1/4 cup buttermilk

Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients. Spray pan with a light coat of olive oil flavored non stick spray and pour in pan about 1 tbps of mix. It will make a perfect round bun! You can freezed them and reheat them in the toaster!

They are moist and chewy like bread and they won't stick to your fingers!

You will actually use only 1 tbsp of the mix in your waffle iron, so that they come out in a circle shape instead of the square!

Lesley
02-28-2003, 01:59 PM
dizneegirl.....you rule! Dh and I have been getting really tired of all our low carb standards...and I do miss ice cream. Most of the s/f ice creams are still fairly high carb....but I do have an ice cream maker!

Ah, I've got to find tagerine diet rite....any store suggestions? Stewarts makes a diet orange cream soda....but its got aspartame.

Glo...I think you've given me my dinner for tonight. I do miss pizza.

A couple of quick and simple dessert ideas:

Strawberries and whipped cream (made w/splenda)
Strawberries dipped in s/f melted chocolate (I used sorbee, but you could use any)

glo
02-28-2003, 05:13 PM
This was totally yummy and even my kids loved it.

3 eggs
olive oil
3 pounds of skinless chicken breast
one bottle of parmesean cheese
any spices you may want to add

I beat up my chicken to thin it out a bit :)
then I beat the three egss

On another plate I put in the bottle of Parm cheese, and garlic, oregano and parsley to taste. and mixed.

Heated oil in fryng pan.

Then I dipped chicken into egg and then coated with the cheese/spices mixture. I fried this for a few minutes on each side and it was awesome...

the site I got this off said each serving (1 breats was about 4 carbs)

dizneegirl
03-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Lesley
Ah, I've got to find tagerine diet rite....any store suggestions? Stewarts makes a diet orange cream soda....but its got aspartame.

I get mine at Kroger or Meijer. We've got Tangerine, White Grape & Red Raspberry. I guess there's also a Black Cherry, which sounds sooo good, but it's all a matter of local bottlers.

Have you ever seen Diet Hansen's? They have some sort of a tangerine, I think. And they're made with Splenda. I've seen them at the health food store, though I bought some from Trader Joe's (much less expensive). We tried the diet ginger ale... it was AWESOME!

Somewhere out there in cyberspace, there's a listing of all the products on the market that include Splenda... can't remember how I found it though (and didn't save a link, I guess).

Lesley
03-01-2003, 10:45 AM
We don't have Kroger or Meijer here....but I'll be in SC in a few weeks and know where I can get to a Kroger! LOL

Never heard of Hansen's....I guess its not sold around here.

I made the meat crust pizza last night....very good. I think I put too much pepper (both red and black) in it because it was very spicy. That's what I get for measuring in my hand rather than in a measuring spoon... It's definitely going in my recipe book!

Thanks,
Lesley

DixieDreamer
03-07-2003, 10:19 PM
I hang out at another bulletin board for low carbers (lowcarbfriends.com) and have gotten to know some wonderful (very successful low carbers) there. One of them - Beachgirl - has a true flare and skill at making perfect low carb cheesecakes. The following recipe is her "basic" cheesecake. I have made it MANY MANY times and it always turns out Gorgeous and YUMMY! I have taken to work potlucks and people just scarf it up... not even realizing this is a low carb (no sugar) recipe! Without further ado... here is the recipe:

Beachgirl's Basic Cheesecake

32 ounces cream cheese
1 cup splenda (may substitute 1 cup of Davinci Syrup which reduces carb count to 3 for each serving!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons sour cream

With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and splenda at slow to medium speed, scraping sides often. Add all other ingredients except eggs. When completely mixed (with no lumps), add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating very slowly. When eggs are incorporated, do not mix any more. Over-mixing the eggs is a contributing cause of cracked cheesecakes. (The leading cause of cracking is over-cooking, so don¡¦t believe any one who tells you it is normal for a cheesecake to be cracked; it isn¡¦t.) Always treat the batter gently.

Pour the mixture into the springform pan. Place the pan on a very large piece of aluminum foil, and fold the foil up around the pan to create a watertight barrier around the cheesecake. Then place the barrier pan in an even larger pan and fill the larger pan halfway with water. This is called a water bath. It is a gentler way to cook the cheesecake.

Place the entire water bath containing the cheesecake in a 300-degree preheated oven. Cook for 1 hour and reduce heat to 200 degrees for 1 more hour.

Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in until the oven is completely cool. The cheesecake can even be left overnight at this point. Cracks can also occur when a cheesecake cools too quickly.

It may be beneficial to run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake, separating it from the sides of the pan. If your goal is to serve the cheesecake on a different dish without the bottom of the spring form pan, then the pan can be lined with parchment paper before the batter is poured in. Make sure to grease both sides of the paper. This will make for easy removal of the cheesecake later. It works best if the cheesecake has been refrigerated fully before trying to remove it from the bottom pan.

Per Serving (based on 12 servings per cheesecake): 308 Calories; 29g Fat; 8g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 165mg Cholesterol; 244mg Sodium.

Beachgirl goes on to provide this additional help in making the PERFECT low carb cheesecake.

"Okay, as I am a "self proclaimed cheesecake expert", having made numerous cheesecakes of various flavors and having mastered the art of the "restaurant quality cheesecake", otherwise known as the "crackless cheesecake", I offer these tips...

1. Treat the batter gently. Making sure all the ingredients are at room temp. helps them blend easier. Mix it as little as possible and at a medium speed. The less air you whip in, the less tendancy it will have to rise.

2. Bake your cheesecake in a water bath. This requires you to have a pan large enough to hold your springform pan and with sides high enough to cover half-way up the springform pan with water. A large roasting pan should do it. That's what I use.

3. Reduce the heat and lengthen the cooking time. I bake all my cheesecakes at 300 degrees for the first hour, then reduce the heat to 200 and bake for one more hour. The cheesecake will not rise, but instead bakes more like a custard and comes out very creamy and dense. Mmmmm...

4. Exercise patience. While the cheesecake is baking, DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR. And leave the cheesecake in the oven to cool, also with the door closed. It's okay if it stays in there overnight. A great cheesecake is like a work of art...it takes time.

5. To keep the top from browning, place a sheet of foil on your top oven rack, just beneath the heat element. This will shield your cheesecake from the direct heat and keep the top pale and pretty. Especially important if you're doing a marbled cheesecake, you want those swirls to show through!

6. Refridgerate the cheesecake at least 12 hours before unmolding from the springform pan so that it's good and set. Run a dull knife around the sides and then release the pan."

This is a classic - beautiful cheesecake - tastes HEAVENLY - and makes a wonderful dessert for special occassions - as well as a great BREAKFAST option! ENJOY!

dizneegirl
03-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Beachgirl's cheesecakes are FABULOUS!

We always make them with no crust, but for those who need/want a crust, here are a few ideas:

-----

Chocolate Almond Crust

2 1/2 cups ground almonds
2 tablespoons Splenda
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Place nuts in bowl of a food processor; pulse until ground into a meal.
Add sugar substitute, butter and pulse to combine.
Transfer to a 9" springform pan. With your fingers, gently press nut mixture to form a crust on bottom of pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes; remove from oven and cool.

-----

Almond Crust

2 cups almond meal
1/4 cup Splenda
4-6 Tblsp. melted butter.

I pour the almond meal, cocoa powder and splenda in a bowl and mix well with a fork. Then I add 4 Tblsp. of buttter and mix well... if it seems too dry I add another 1-2 Tblspn and mix. Then press it into the bottom of your pan and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Let it cool completely before adding in the cheesecake batter.

dizneegirl
03-08-2003, 09:01 AM
And here's another of Beachgirl's cheesecakes... this one is a favorite in our house:

Beachgirl’s Coconut Cheesecake
Ingredients:
-32 ounces cream cheese
-1 cup vanilla DaVinci syrup
-2-3 capfuls coconut extract
-1 teaspoon lemon juice
-4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
-3 tablespoons sour cream
-3 ozs. Unsweetned coconut

How to Prepare:
With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, extract and syrup at slow to medium speed, scraping sides often. When completely mixed (with no lumps), add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating very slowly. When eggs are incorporated, do not mix any more. With a spatula, gently fold in the coconut until just mixed. Over-mixing the eggs is a contributing cause of cracked cheesecakes. (The leading cause of cracking is over-cooking, so don’t believe any one who tells you it is normal for a cheesecake to be cracked; it isn’t.) Always treat the batter gently. Pour the mixture into the springform pan. Place the pan on a very large piece of aluminum foil, and fold the foil up around the pan to create a watertight barrier around the cheesecake. Then place the barrier pan in an even larger pan and fill the larger pan halfway with water. This is called a water bath. It is a gentler way to cook the cheesecake. Place the entire water bath containing the cheesecake in a 300-degree preheated oven. Cook for 1 hour and reduce heat to 200 degrees for 1 more hour. Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in until the oven is completely cool. The cheesecake can even be left overnight at this point. Cracks can also occur when a cheesecake cools too quickly. It may be beneficial to run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake, separating it from the sides of the pan. If your goal is to serve the cheesecake on a different dish without the bottom of the spring form pan, then the pan can be lined with parchment paper before the batter is poured in. Make sure to grease both sides of the paper. This will make for easy removal of the cheesecake later. It works best if the cheesecake has been refrigerated fully before trying to remove it from the bottom pan.

NOTES:
- I could only find imitation coconut extract, if you can get the real stuff - go for it. Also, adjust the amount of extract based on how intense you want the flavor.
- 3 ozs. of coconut is just under 1 cup
- I used 1/3 reduced fat Philly cream cheese for this because it had fewer carbs than the regular stuff.
-I figure just under 5 carbs a piece for this. I ran it through fitday yesterday as best I could.

-----

You want to make sure you use unsweetened coconut... I've found it in Kroger, and in bulk at the health food store. I never realized almost all of the shredded coconut is sweetened before.

The DaVinci syrup works great (and can be substituted cup-for-cup with Splenda in the basic recipe, as well), and cuts out 24g of carbs per cup from the Splenda. Plus, if you change flavors of DaVinci, you've basically got a whole new cheesecake! :)

glo
03-16-2003, 01:45 PM
with a ceasar salad and broc....

Exported from MasterCook *

HERB-CRUSTED PORK CHOPS WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:35
Categories : 0-5G Low Carb Meat Pork Ham Bacon Chops
Znew2001

1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp frest thyme
1 cl garlic -- minced
3/4 tsp salt -- divided
1/2 tsp pepper -- divided
4 pork loin rib chops
1/2 pkg mushrooms -- (12oz) slices
1 tbsp butter
1 cup chicken broth

From lemon grate 1 tsp zest and squeeze 2 Tbs. juice.

In zip-lock bag combine oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and lemon zest. Add pork, toss to coat. Marinate in refrigerator at least 1 hour,
turning occasionally.

Remove pork from bag. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook until no longer pink, 3-4 minutes each side.

Remove to serving platter; keep warm.

In same skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook until golden, 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients to skillet. Bring to boil, simmer 2-3 minutes until thickened.

Serve mushroom gravy over pork.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 396 Calories; 32g Fat (71.7% calories from fat); 25g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 81mg Cholesterol; 680mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 Fat.

nativetxn
03-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Glo, that sounds delicious!

dizneegirl
03-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by nativetxn:

Glo sent me a recipe for chicken tenders that was so scrumptious and yummy, I was really surprised. My husband loved it so much he made me call his mother and give her the recipe.

I have no idea what the carbohydrate breakdown is but it's okay for induction, I know that.

Thank you glo, for sending me this recipe, I'm going to post it here in case anyone else is interested.

-----

Ingredients:

2 pounds Chicken Tenders

MARINADE:
1 cup Heavy Cream
2 Tablespoons Prepared Ranch Dressing
2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
2 teaspoons Onion Powder
2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper

BREADING:
1 can Parmesan Cheese, the powder kind
2-3 teaspoons each: Garlic Powder & Ground Black Pepper

Peanut oil for pan frying

How to Prepare:
Mix marinade ingredients and marinate at least 6 hours or overnight.

Combine the Parmesan breading and coat each chicken tender really well.

Add enough oil to pan fry the breaded chicken tenders. Med-High heat.

Cook the batches of tenders till they are a nice crunchy golden brown.

-----

As an aside, my mother, who is so very ill, loved this too. She said that she preferred this to chicken fried in a white flour batter.

I thought the cheese would fall off the chicken during frying, but it didn't. The chicken tenders are nice and crispy

Thanks again, Glo.

dizneegirl
03-18-2003, 03:17 PM
Here's an "oldie but a goodie"...

Peanut Butter Pudding

1 oz softened cream cheese
1 Tbls cream
1 Tbls Davinci sugar-free syrup (or to taste)
1 Tbls sugar free peanut butter

Mix and eat.

dizneegirl
03-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Vanilla Flax Muffins

2 eggs
4 packets Splenda
dash salt
2 tbl vanilla extract
1/4 cup oil
4 Tbs. melted butter
2 scoops vanilla whey powder
1/2 cup flax meal
2 tsp baking powder

Mix all ingredients and let rest for about 5 minutes, or until it doubles in size. Fill well-greased muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes, until dry looking and a nice light-gold. Remove from pan and let cool. Makes 6 muffins.

Carb count, minus the protein powder is 2g net per muffin. If your protein powder is 3g for 2 scoops, add .5g per muffin. :)

nativetxn
03-18-2003, 03:30 PM
I took unpeeled cucumber slices and topped them with alouette Savory Vegetable spreadable cheese. Very easy, has a nice crunch, sugar free and I think it's pretty tasty.

A serving of the cheese spread is 2 tablespoons and contains:
60 calories (50 calories from fat)
6 grams fat
1 gram protein
1 gram carbohydrates (no fiber)

A serving of cucumber slices= 1/2 cup
7 calories
0.1 gram fat (who knew cucumbers had fat?)
0.4 grams protein
1.7 grams total carbs
0.7 grams of fiber
1.0 grams net carbs

So if you eat one serving each of the cheese and cucumbers you would be consuming a total of 67 calories and 2 grams of impact carbohydrates.

Katholyn

dizneegirl
03-18-2003, 03:44 PM
This is another from one of the great cooks at lowcarbfriends...

-----

Best Burger Bun Yet! Super Easy Too!

They are moist and chewy like bread and they won't stick to your fingers!

You will actually use only 1 tbsp of the mix in your waffle iron, so that they come out in a circle shape instead of the square! I didn't count the number of buns I got, but it was a lot! Sorry about that.

The neat thing too.....the little squares hold in the mayo and mustard!!! No dripping! LOL

-----

Sherrie's Savory Burger Bun

*Preheat the waffle iron

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/2 cup Atkins Bake Mix
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1/4 cup buttermilk

Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients. Spray pan with a light coat of olive oil flavored non stick spray and pour in pan about 1 tbps of mix. It will make a perfect round bun! You can freezed them and reheat them in the toaster! My hubby says this is the best bread yet.

18 carbs per recipe.

-----

They really ARE good, though I have to use more than 1 Tbs. of mix for each. I've made them in the waffle iron, in a skillet like pancakes, and in muffin top pans... they're versatile and yummy!

GoofieRuthie
03-18-2003, 04:29 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful recipes!! I'm not a member of the WISH group, but I had gastric bypass in October and have been looking for some good low carb recipes. I love the fact that almost all of these recipes are sugar free or use Splenda also. I hope you don't mind me checking them out. I will be sure to post how they turn out whenever I try one. I also love that almost all of them are very easy to make and don't require crazy ingredients. I'm not much for fancy dishes, so the simpler the better. Thanks again and keep up the good work losers!! ( I mean that in the nicest sense of the word too):)

dizneegirl
03-18-2003, 04:49 PM
I'm glad you can get some use out of them!

If you've got any good recipes to share, feel free to post them as well! :)

PS - Looking for anything in particular? I have hundreds of low carb recipes floating around... ;)

dizneegirl
03-24-2003, 12:07 PM
Crab Cakes

12 oz can lump crab meat, drained
1 Tablespoon pesto sauce
1 large egg
1 Tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 Cup crushed pork rinds (measure after crushing)
1 Tablespoon mayo (optional)
Old Bay Spice (to taste)
dash of cayenne pepper

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan. Mix all the above ingredients thoroughly. Form into 4 patties and fry on medium heat until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towel and serve. Can be eaten hot or cold.

-----

LAURIE'S CRAB CAKES (LOW CARB)

2 to 2-1/2 cups pork rind crumbs (made from 3 oz. bag)
3 to 4 tbsp. water
2 cups cooked or canned crab (approximately 1 lb.)
1/3 cup minced onion
1/3 cup minced celery
1/3 cup minced green pepper
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. mustard
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1 tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
1 tbsp. minced parsley
1/4 tsp. pepper

Put pork rind crumbs in a large bowl, and mix with enough water to soften them. Flake the crab, remove any cartilage, and combine with the pork rind crumbs. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Shape into 8 to 10 patties (pack them pretty tightly so they don't fall apart). Heat 2 to 4 tbsp. vegetable oil in a skillet, and sauté on each side until golden brown. Alternately, you could broil them.

I omitted the salt from this recipe because the pork rinds I used (Bakenets) were already pretty salty. It originally called for 1 tsp. of salt. Makes 8 servings

-----

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

Ingredients:
1 pound fresh mushrooms
7 to 8 ounces crabmeat (canned or fresh picked) NOT IMITATION!
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground savory
ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup no-sugar mayonnaise
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a medium bowl, combine crabmeat (rinse if using canned), green onions, herbs, and pepper. Mix in mayonnaise and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese until well combined. Refrigerate filling until ready for use.

Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp towel. Remove stems. Spoon out the gills and the base of the stem, making deep cups. Discard gills and stems. Fill the mushroom caps with rounded teaspoonfuls of filling, and place them in an ungreased shallow baking dish. Sprinkle tops with Parmesan and paprika.

Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve immediately.

Serves 6. Approx 5 carbs per serving.

-----

Jamie’s Crabbie Spread

1 stick butter, room temperature
1 jar Kraft Old English Cheese Spread
1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1 can crab (approximately 7 ounces)
Minced garlic or garlic powder to taste

It's fabulous briefly broiled or baked at 400 until bubbly and browned, but what to put it on is a bit of a problem on lowcarb. I tried Wasa crackers, which came out rather soggy, and not very good. Portobello mushrooms might work better as a base. Or stuff it in some celery sticks, or use rounds of zucchini as a base.

-----

Crab Quiche

About 7 to 8 oz of fresh crabmeat.
3-4 oz of Swiss Cheese
4 eggs
1ts salt
1/3 cup grated onion
2 cups cream
Cayenne pepper to taste, and around 1 tb. fresh parsley

425 degree oven

Bake in a pan that has been placed on a cookie sheet, for 15 min, then turn down to 300 for about 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.

-----

Crab Bisque
6 Servings

Ingredients:
2 cups water
2 cups clam juice, bottled
1 cup white wine
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves Garlic, peeled, whole
1/2 Lb. lump crab meat
1/2 tsp. dill
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
Salt and white pepper to taste

Directions:
Combine the water, clam juice, wine, onion, celery, and garlic in a large soup pot. Slowly bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes.
Strain and return the liquid to the pot. Whisk in the cream and tomato paste. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for 25 minutes.
Serve warm.

-----

Crab Mornay

Inspired by a recipe from Williamsburg, this scrumptious low carb dish is worth all the effort! This is an especially nice dish for a buffet or a dinner party. Prepare it ahead of time, then pop it in the oven just before your guests arrive. If you refrigerate this ahead of time, be sure to allow a few extra minutes for cooking.

4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 small onion, grated
4 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken broth
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 pound lump crabmeat
2 eggs
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 1½ quart casserole or 4 individual casseroles.

Sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and stir to heat, but do not brown. With a whisk, quickly stir in flour, then chicken broth, salt and 2 tablespoons heavy cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook 3 - 5 additional minutes, stirring to keep the bottom of the sauce from browning or lumping. Remove from the heat.

Place the crabmeat in a colander and rinse under cold water. Drain thoroughly, then pat dry with a paper towel to remove the excess moisture.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with ½ cup of the heavy cream. Add all but 2 tablespoons sauce to the egg mixture and thoroughly combine. With a large spoon, gently mix in the crabmeat, preserving the lumps as much as possible. Spoon the mixture into the casserole dish.

To the 2 tablespoons of reserved sauce, add the parmesan cheese and the remaining 2 tablespoon of heavy cream. Spread gently over the top of the casserole.

Bake about 45 minutes, until hot and bubble, with the top nicely browned.

Serves 4.

1 serving:
33 g. fat; 10 g. total carb.; 29 g. protein; 1 g. fiber

Exchanges
½ starch/bread; 3 ½ lean meat; 6 fat; ½ vegetable

-----

EXOTIC CRAB MEAT SALAD

Ingredients: 1/4 cup chili sauce 2/3 cup mayonnaise 1/2 cup lemon juice, divided 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat 1 cup chopped celery 1 cup chopped Brazil nuts lettuce avocado (optional)

Combine chili sauce, mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and salt in a small bowl. Add crab meat, celery and nuts; mix lightly and refrigerate. At serving time, spoon salad on lettuce.

Optional: Garnish with avocado slices dipped in remaining lemon juice.

Makes 6 servings. 3 carbs per serving.

-----

dizneegirl
03-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by nativetxn

<b>Crab and Bacon Bundles</b>
6 ounces of crab (they call for canned you could cook your crab instead)
1 scallion, finely minced
1/2 pound bacon
Duck Sauce

1. Flake the crab, removing any bits of shell or cartilege. Stire in the minced scallion and set aside

2. Cut all your bacon strips in half crosswise, to make two shorter strips. Place a rounded 1/2 teaspoon or so of the crab mixture on the end of a bacon strip, and roll the strip up around it, strethching the bacon slightly as you go. Pierce the bundle with a toothpick, to hold. Repeat until all the crab and bacon strips are used up.

3. Broil about 8 inches from heat, turning once or twice, until the bacon is crisp--no more than 10 minutes. Serve with Duck Sauce for dipping.

Makes 2 dozen servings, each with only a trace of carbohydrates, a trace of fiber and 4 grams of protein (doesn't include duck sauce)

<b>Duck Sauce</b>
1 pound frozen peach slices (no sugar added) or 2 1/2 to 3 cups sliced fresh peaches

1/2 cup water

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 tablespoons Splenda

1/4 teaspoon blackstrap molasses

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon soy sauce

1 clove garlic, crushed

1. Put all ingredients in a heavy bottomed saucepan, and bring them to a simmer. Cook uncovered, until the peaches are soft (about 30 minutes).

2. Puree the duck sauce in a blender, if you like, or mash them with a potato masher or fork.

Yields about 2 cups. One serving is 2 tablespoons. each with 3 grams total carbohydrates, 1 gram of fiber for 2 grams <b>net</b> carbs.

Freeze it if you aren't going to use all of it.

wovenwonder
03-24-2003, 12:40 PM
All of these recipe's sound wonderful! I only wish I could get the ambition to try some of them. I seem to just stick to the basics. I eat the same as before (types of foods) but just leave out the carbs. For example -- one of my favorites for lunch is a chicken cheese steak (minus the bun).

dizneegirl
03-26-2003, 01:40 PM
I have a WONDERFUL bbq sauce recipe, from a great LC cook/chef/experimenter. He's always been great about sharing recipes, so I *think* he'd be alright with sharing this one here. Credit goes to BruceH for this one:

BRUCE'S BOURBONQUE SAUCE

Recipe By :Bruce
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Sauces

32 ounces tomato sauce
6 packets Splenda
4 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
3 tablespoons sugar free maple syrup
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes
1/2 cup bourbon -- optional

Bring ingredients to a slow simmer in a small sauce pan and reduce by about a third if you want to use it as a brush-on sauce.

Yield:
"1 quart"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Recipe (excluding unknown items): 690 Calories; 6g Fat (10.9% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 100g Carbohydrate; 22g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 5717mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 11 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Steam bbq ribs one hour. Throw on grill and baste for 30 minutes, turning every five minutes. Baste once more before serving.

NOTES : OK in moderation on induction.

----------

This is GREAT with or without the bourbon!

ahutton
03-26-2003, 04:12 PM
I finally tried the Mock Danish recipe - OMG is that good!!!

Can't wait to try the others... Hopefully I'll come up with a few to throw in myself!

Claudia1
03-28-2003, 04:14 PM
DH is on the low-carb diet and loves a good but quick breakfast. I make these crustless quiches and he warms them up in the microwave as needed.

Crustless Quiches

Spray 24 muffin tins or 6 pot-pie tins with PAM. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Blend together until smooth:
4 large eggs, beaten
1/2 C. milk
2 C. heavy cream (0 carb cream)
1T. dried, minced onion or 1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1C. shredded swiss cheese
14-16 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared pans. Place the quiches in the oven and immediately lower the heat to 350 degrees. Bake the muffin tins for 20-22 minutes or until a knife inserted in the quiche comes out clean and bake the pot pie tins for 25-28 minutes, checking also with the clean knife.

Remove from the oven and immediately loosen the edges with a knife. Shake each one slightly to insure that it does not stick at any point. Cool, remove from the pans, and store in the refrigerator until needed. The PAM allows them to come out quite easily.

The only carb is the milk, so the smaller ones are about 1/4g and the larger ones are about 1g each.

nativetxn
03-28-2003, 06:35 PM
Claudia, these sound really good. I'm going to have to try them.

glo
03-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Yum...I just tried a mock danish....yum yum yum....
Wish I had some of that yummy frosting on top, but this was actually very good :) I was going to fast today for Lent, but am having such a bad day had to eat something

dizneegirl
04-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Mmmmm... this one sounds good for a treat now & then!

Chocolate Kisses

1 pkg chocolate s/f instant pudding
1 cup heavy cream
4 oz. cream cheese

Mix together. It should be really thick like frosting. Put it all in a pastry bag (or sandwich bag - just snip the corner off) and choose a wide star type tip. (If mixture is too thick to squeeze out, just add a little bit of water). Make about 200 little kisses on a cookie sheet with wax paper on it. Freeze for a couple of hours. Take them off the wax paper and store in a plastic container in freezer. 5 kisses = 1 carb

Lesley
04-06-2003, 03:42 PM
Ok, I have one...

Cottage Cheese Pancakes
1 cup cottage cheese
4 eggs
1/2 cup wheat germ

Mix together (best to use a blender or hand blender) and cook like regular pancakes. There's approx. 2.5 grams of net carbs in a 4" pancake and they're very filling. So a plate of 4 is about 10 carbs.

These also freeze well to make an easy breakfast.

They are particularly good topped with strawberry puree (I use my hand blender to puree fresh strawberries...if they're really tart you can use splenda in them) and whipped cream. Though that adds much more carbs than s/f syrup.

nativetxn
04-07-2003, 03:36 PM
When I start adding carbs I will have to try these pancakes :)

dizneegirl
04-07-2003, 06:26 PM
TRULY Decadent Chocolate Mousse

4 Tbs. heavy (whipping) cream
1/2 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. sugar-free instant chocolate pudding powder
1-2 packets Splenda (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Whip cream until peaks form. Add all other ingredients and continue beating until well blended. Use spatula to scrape into a small bowl. Chill 5 minutes and enjoy.

Makes just enough for one person, and only weighs in at about 5 carbs.

rbuzzotta
04-07-2003, 07:55 PM
I was ready to totally cheat and decided to turn to this thread. It was DD's birthday this weekend and we have cake left over...ice cream too!! I was sooooo tempted. I needed a fix..........so........I tried the Mock Danish...........It did the trick. Thanks!!!

dizneegirl
04-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Here's another ice cream recipe I've been using lately... it doesn't use any eggs, and doesn't require any cooking of the custard. It's quite good.

Vanilla Ice Cream

2 Tbs. lecithin granuales, blended to a powder consistency
1 c. sugar-free vanilla DaVinci syrup
2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. liquid Splenda (or liquid Stevia, or NOW powdered Stevia)
1/3 c. xylitol
2 Tbs. glycerin
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum

Mix all ingredients well, and add to ice cream maker.

dizneegirl
04-10-2003, 08:59 AM
This is from Dana Carpender's fabulous 500 Low-Carb Recipes. Buy the book!

Gingerbread

1C ground almonds
1/2 C vanilla flavored whey-protein powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 C Splenda
1/2 C plain yogurt
1/4 C oil
1 tsp blackstrap molasses
1 egg
2 Tbl water
1/2 C shredded zucchini

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Combine the almonds, protein powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and Splenda; mix well.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, molasses, egg, and water. Pour into the dry ingredients, and whisk until everything is well-combined. Add the zucchini and stir briefly to distribute evenly.

Spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, and turn batter into the pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Yeild: 9 servings, 9 g carbs, trace fiber, 17 g protein.

glo
04-10-2003, 07:37 PM
2 eggs
1/2 cup of parmesean cheese
1 medium eggplant
Franks Mrinara sauce (1 carb per 1/2 cup)

1/4 cup of olive oil

dip eggplant slices in egg than in the cheese, then fry in oil.

a serving is about 4 ounces of eggplant
add a few tablespoons of Frank's Marinara sauce on top

about 8.5 carbs per serving

glo
04-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Chocolate mint SHake...YUMMY!!!!

1 tbls Davincci chocolate syrup (SF,no carbs or calories)
1 tbsp Davincii Creme de minte (SF,no carbs no calories)
.25 cup of heavy cream (205 calories, 2 carbs, 1 protien)
.33 cup water ( 0 everything)
1 serving EAS chocolate whey protien (115 calories, 4carbs, 1 fiber)
1 tbls or whipped cream cheese (35 calories, 0 carbs)
add 7 icecubes

put in blender and blend....ENJOY!!!!

total calories 355 total carbs 6 minus one fiber only 5 carbs protien 22

YOu can also use the Vanilla EAS whey prtoien and use DUlce de Leche or the Kahlui one....Those are yummy and have one less carb :)

glo
04-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Atkins Garlic Toast Crisps
Whip up a batch of these crunchy, garlicky crisps to have on hand for spreads, dips or to crumble into soups.

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, pushed through a press
2 cups Atkins Bake Mix
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup club soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place olive oil and garlic in a small microwave-safe cup. Cook on high 1 minute or until garlic begins to turn golden; set aside.
2. Lightly coat an 8" x 4" loaf pan with vegetable oil. In a mixing bowl, combine bake mix, baking powder and salt. Add club soda, eggs and 1 tablespoon garlic oil. Mix thoroughly by hand or with an electric beater. Transfer dough to prepared pan; smooth top. Bake 1 hour.
3. Transfer bread to a wire rack to cool 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 400ºF. With a serrated knife, cut loaf into 20 thin slices. Place slices on a baking sheet. Brush with half the remaining garlic oil. Bake 7 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven; flip slices and brush with remaining oil. Bake an additional 7 minutes, until golden and crisp.
4. Cool toasts completely before storing in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Toasts may be frozen, wrapped, for up to 2 months.

Garlic-Herb Crisps: Add 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/2 teaspoon dried basil to the dry ingredients. Rosemary-Olive Crisps: Add 6 pitted, chopped oil-cured black olives and 1 teaspoon dried crumbled rosemary leaves to the dry ingredients.

jennz
04-24-2003, 08:46 AM
The recipes sound great! I do have a request...how about something with ground beef that's NOT hamburger patties? The crustless pizza sounds good, is that okay for induction?

wovenwonder
04-24-2003, 09:25 AM
I doubt if this would work for induction (might though). But I enjoy browning ground beef with some taco seasoning. I put this on romaine lettuce with onion, tomatoe (or salsa) and a dolop or two of sour cream. It makes a wonderful taco salad!:D Also -- try crumbling some ground beef in a crockput and add shredded cabbage. I would also cut up a tomatoe and add a little broth (not much though, because the beef will make its own broth). I've also heard of frying ground beef and shredded cabbage --- haven't tried that one but it sounds good! Could you make some stuffed peppers or cabbage? Use pork rinds instead of bread crumbs to bind the beef together.

Isn't this way of eating FUN! :D

jennz
04-25-2003, 01:26 PM
I just had a really yummy lunch that I haven't seen posted on here:

hot and spicy pork rinds
top with mexican cheese and jalapeno slices
sprinkle on taco seasoning

microwave ~ 1 minute until cheese melts

I topped with some taco sauce (not much) - delish! I ran out of sour cream or would have used that too.

Luvinit
05-01-2003, 07:10 PM
I made this for dinner tonight...and my DH was VERY IMPRESSED. He told me to share it..I feel kind of silly but here it goes...

4 or more slices of Bacon...it depends how much bacon flavor you like.
Boneless Chicken

Green Olives

Rosemary (dried kind)

No Carb Chicken Broth
Fresh Garlic

Cut bacon into 1 inch slices, Fry in pan with Garlic (however much you like), and Rosemary (not too much its strong)

Remove bacon once its crispy.

Fry chicken in the bacon drippings until brown on both sides.

Add bacon mix back into pan.
Add Green Olives
Pour enough broth into pan to simmer/boil chicken.

Cover and let cook for about 15 mins.

The best part of this was it was VERY easy..and the Chicken was NOT dry which is DH biggest complaint of not using any sauces.
I don't think there is very many carbs in this..only the olives.

Hope you like it

Tracy

Terry&Janet
05-02-2003, 03:00 PM
DW has just shown me this board and I'm very interested in some of the recipes, especially the cheese cakes..

BUT, I live in the UK and a quick look at my local supermarket doesnt show availability for products like Splenda which must be a US product not available in UK.

Does anyone know of UK based equivalent producs for the main Atkins type ingredients please ? And also is there a quide to equivalent weights anywhere too ?

Thanks

Terry

dizneegirl
05-02-2003, 06:38 PM
I don't know what you have available to you... I DO know there are quite a few people in the UK low-carbing now!

You may want to take a look at this page: http://www.low-carb.org.uk/main.htm, it may help you find some low-carb items.

You might also want to take a look at www.lowcarbfriends.com - I know there are quite a few posters who also live in the UK. I bet some of them could help you out with substitutions and such.

Here's a site with conversions (metric/US, British/US terms, oven temps...) - that should help, too. http://www.globalgourmet.com/cgi-bin/hts?convcalc.hts+usequiv+new

Good luck! :)

dizneegirl
05-10-2003, 12:28 PM
"Faux"tato Pancakes

These are a great substitute for potato pancakes, and great with sour cream, too!

3 cups shredded turnips (peeled, then shredded)
3 eggs
1/8 cup minced onion (fresh)
2 Tbs. unflavored protein isolate (wheat, soy, whey, milk & egg... whatever) or Atkins Bake Mix
salt & pepper to taste

Mix everything, glop a pancake into a pan, and fry in butter and olive oil until brown on both sides.

I added about an 1/8th of a cup of shredded cheddar cheese to another batch... delicious, too! And surprisingly good cold the next day for lunch.

RaySharpton
05-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Thank you for all the great recipes. I am pretty lazy about cooking. So far, the easiest meal for me is cooking hamberger pieces and onions for taste.

Or bacon and fried eggs,

or for a egg snack, cook eggs in a microwave and mix mayonaise and bacon.

I wish that I had some more hamburger, mayonaise, chicken quick meals.

I've got some chicken breasts that I was going to cook on the George Foreman grill, but I think that I will cook them in the oven and cut them into strips for snacks.

Thank you again everyone for these recipes, and thank you again for all the kind support that everyone is giving each other.

Ray :)

Jomrog
05-22-2003, 07:54 AM
I got this off the lowcarbfriends website & tried it this morning. I really liked it. It comes out more like a pancake:

2-3 Eggs
2-3 tbsp heavy cream
dash salt
2 dashes cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Blend/whisk all ingredients. Cook in buttered skillet on med/high for 2-3 mins. each side. Serve w/butter or l/c syrup. Sprinkle w/splenda.

The poster didn't list the carbs but I would count it at about 3-4 carbs for the whole recipe.

Keep em coming. I tried a couple already. I liked the mock danish but it was a little rich for me for first thing in the morning. I made the Helen's potato salad & it wasy just okay. I varied the recipe a bit so it may have been my fault that I didn't love it.

ahutton
05-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Here's my burger trick that helps keep me in check while giving the rest of the family a more "normal" type meal. I make all of the fixings for tacos - cheese, sour cream, guacamole, onions, hot sauce - and the family gets tortillas - I use large crisp lettuce leafs (iceburg usually) instead of the tortilla. It is my home variation on PF Changs Lettuce Wraps. You can do it with all different kinds of foods - chinese, mexican, whatever...

For quick chicken I grill it and then smother it in sauteed onions, green peppers and a few poblano pepper strips, and then cover it in monterey jack cheese and let it get all gooey.

PAdisMOM
05-26-2003, 12:09 PM
Here's my chicken cheesesteak recipe.

I take the meat off of several chicken breasts (the kind on the bone & with skin) I break it into bite size pices. I sprinkle a package of Italian Dressing mix on it. Toss to coat. Fry it w/ a few Tbsp. of oil with sliced onion and mushrooms. You can eat just the meat or melt swiss cheese on it. My family eats it on a bun, but it's so good, that I won't even miss the bun.

wovenwonder
05-26-2003, 04:39 PM
Pecans to die for!:D

I take Pecan halves and stirfry them in some butter with salt and splenda to taste. I just stir them enough to coat. Then lay on a baking sheet to cool before putting them in a zip loc bag for storage.

They become a wonderful salty/sweet treat.

RaySharpton
05-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Wooooooooooo!!! I love pecans, and I'll have to try the chicken and taco wrap, too.

Here are some ideas from another thread by Jody and Rhonda that I thought were neat ideas all together in one place:

Originally posted by wovenwonder
You can have up to 20 grams of carbs during induction. So yes -- you can have some veggie carbs. I could easily live on steak, chicken prepared 100 different ways during induction. You have to be ready to make the commitment though. As often the first week or so can be difficult to get thru. Look on the positive side of things ---- what other plan can you eat three [or more] big, juicy grilled steaks every day!;)

grilled burgers
steaks
chicken cheese steak [minus bun - and cheese for you]
philly style steaks [beef]
chicken salad
hot and spicy wings with celery and blue cheese
chicken ceaser salad
Pork and sauerkraut
Ham with Green Beans
Grilled Pork tenderloins
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Asparagus
Broccoli Salad
fried cabbage

the list can go on and on.......

Think of all the things you CAN HAVE instead of dwelling on the things you can't.

Originally posted by Rhonda
To add to that list:

Mushrooms stuffed with sausage & cheese
hot dogs
brats (check the carbs for the lowest ones)
corned beef & cabbage
deli meat (turkey, beef, ham, etc) spread with cream cheese & wrapped around a pickle or cheese cube
SF jello with a little whipped cream
Green beans & chopped bacon sauteed in vinegar
Tuna salad (tuna, mayo, celery, onion, salt & pepper)
Pepperoni crisps
Beef sticks
Beef or turkey jerkey (get the ones with the least amount of sugar)

I just cook simple stuff so far, like I said in my earlier post.

Thank you again for all the great ideas.

Best Wishes and Encouragement, Ray:)

Lynn CC
05-30-2003, 10:21 AM
I tried these eggs yesterday and I loved them!

Scramble 6 eggs in med. bowl
Add 1 cup sour cream
mix in 1/4 cup chives (I used fresh,minced) or you can use dried.

Cook eggs how you would usually cook scrambled eggs.
I mixed a side of sour cream with chives and dipped my eggs into it.
Hope you like it too!

MontyMontyMOnty
06-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Well, it's shrimp season here at the beach, and my all time favorite shrimp recipe fits atkins perfectly, and it's easy, too!

Shrinp and artichokes:

1lb fresh shrimp (frozen raw shrimp is almost as good!)
1 16 oz can atrichoke hearts (in water, not marinade)
1 cup parmesan cheese (The cheap kind in the shaker is perfect)
1 cup mayo
butter for greasing pan

Peel, devein, and chop the shrimp. Drain the artichokes, and chop them as well. In a mixing bowl, mix the may and cheese. Add the chopped shrimp and artichokes, and mix to blend.

Grease a casserole or other oven proof dish, and spoon in the shrimp mixture. abke at 350 for 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
This recipe is indulgent and rich--one of our faves, Atkins or not!

cowtownmom
06-08-2003, 11:47 PM
I'm new to the DIS boards and am thrilled to find this thread! I've been doing Atkins since November and have been wanting some new recipes. I've been getting tired of the ones I've been using over and over. Now... to read all of your recipes!

inky dinky doo
06-09-2003, 03:30 AM
I found this yummy recipe on the lowcarbfriends.com board and tried it this weekend. It's a keeper!! For those times when you have a craving for lasagna that just won't go away. Enjoy!

Impossible Lasagna

1/2 c. ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
1 lb. ground beef, cooked and drained
2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 t. oregano
1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
1 c. cream
2 large eggs
2/3 c. bake mix, Atkins or homemade
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pie plate or square 8 x 8 pan. Layer ricotta/cottage cheese in plate. Mix cooked beef, one cup of mozzarella, oregano, and tomato paste. Spoon evenly over the top. Beat cream, eggs, bake mix, salt and pepper 15 seconds in blender on high or 1 minute with hand beater until well blended. Pour into pie plate. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to oven 1 to 2 minutes. Serves 6 to 8. NOTE: I might layer this a little different. Meat sauce on the bottom, Ricotta in the middle, and bake mix mixture on the top...then the cheese.

cowtownmom
06-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Rhonda,

What do you serve with this chicken? I'm trying it out tonight!

nativetxn
06-11-2003, 12:15 PM
I made yummy BLT's yesterday. I used a leaf of romaine lettuce, mayonaise, bacon and two thin (not paper thing) slices of tomato, rolled together.

It was delicious, my brother loved it too. You can actually taste the flavors of the bacon and tomato together when they aren't hidden between two slices of bread. I like it better than the old fashioned BLT on bread.

nativetxn
06-11-2003, 12:18 PM
A southern treat that I love is fried okra. We used to cut okra and roll it in corn meal. Don't do that anymore :)

I take a bag of frozen cut okra and allow it to defrost, then I roll the pieces of okra in the powdery type parmesan cheese and fry it.

It is delicious. Even my husband, who is a picky eater loved it.

There is only 1 net carb in 3/4 cup of cut okra, so a serving of this is probably less than 2 carbs when you figure in the parmesan cheese.

RaySharpton
06-12-2003, 04:42 AM
Katholyn, thank you. I love fried okra.

God bless you, best wishes,and encouragement, RaySharpton:)

dizneegirl
06-12-2003, 09:30 AM
This is adapted from a family recipe for green bean casserole... it's a little different, but good!

Green Bean Casserole

3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup onion, diced fine
1 cup sour cream
2 cans green beans, canned
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Sunkist sliced almonds - bacon & cheese flavor

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Melt butter in bottom of casserole dish.

3. Add diced onions, salt and pepper, and place in heated oven for 10 minutes.

4. Mix in green beans, sour cream, and 1/3 cup of cheese, along with any more salt and pepper to taste.

5. Place remainder of shredded cheese on top of casserole. Bake for 30 minutes. Add handful of bacon & cheese flavored sliced almonds on top, place back in oven for an additional 5-10 minutes.

cowtownmom
06-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by dizneegirl
OK, you HAVE to try the Mock Danish!

Mock Danish

2 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1 Tbs. Splenda
1 tsp. lemon concentrate
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Soften cream cheese in microwave. Mix cream cheese and egg thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Microwave on High for 2 minutes.

Should figure to about 3 - 3.5 grams of carbs for the whole thing.

I add blueberries to this and it's SO good!

Jomrog
06-13-2003, 05:54 AM
This was a delicious recipe. My DH loved it & I just cooked my kids portions without the mustard sauce & they loved it, too.

PORK CHOPS DIJON
INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
2 tablespoons low-calorie Italian salad dressing
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 pork loin chops, cut ½-inch thick
(1¼ pounds total)
Nonstick spray coating
1 medium onion, halved and sliced

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl combine mustard, Italian dressing, and pepper; set aside.

Trim excess fat from chops. Spray a 10-inch skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork chops and brown on both sides. Remove chops from skillet.

Add onion to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes. Push onion aside; return chops to skillet. Spread mustard mixture over chops. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or till pork is no longer pink. Serve onion over pork chops.

Makes 4 servings.

TIME
Preparation Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 15 min.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
25g protein
2g carbohydrate
14g fat
80mg cholesterol
390mg sodium
421mg potassium

inky dinky doo
06-18-2003, 02:01 AM
Hey, Ray! and anyone else looking for something super simple, oh-so-tasty, and even fit for serving company . . . here's another one from lowcarbfriends.com. It is sooooo good! I discovered it about a week and a half ago, and I've already made it twice. It's that good! I haven't tried the Mexican version, yet, but I'm sure it's just as good. Enjoy!

Steph's Yummy Chicken Stuff

When this went into the family recipe book (my Mom published one for the reunion this summer), we called this Steph's Smothered Chicken. But around our house, it's just "Yummy chicken stuff." Creative, aren't we?

2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
1/3 c. sour cream
1/3 c. mayo
1/2 packet dry hidden valley dressing mix
1-2 T. heavy cream (optional)
3-4 cans of sliced mushrooms, or fresh
1/4 c. (or more) grated parmesan cheese

Place thawed (a little frozen yet still works) chicken breasts in a single layer in a baking dish. Spread mushrooms over the chicken, trying to keep them on the chicken. Mix together sour cream, mayo, dressing mix, and cream until blended. Place large dollups of the mixture on each breast, then spread it out so that it covers all meat and mushrooms. Sprinkle grated cheese on top until covered (the more cheese, the more "crusty" it gets). Bake at 375 until top is starting to get orange-brown and crusty - about 45-60 minutes.

Using a metal spatula, serve onto a plate, trying to keep the yummy stuff on top of each breast intact. The chicken will be very juicy and the stuff on top is very yummy, hence our name for it!

Things not to do:

I (Steph) once tried to make this into a casserole by dicing up the chicken first. I ended up with tough little pieces of chicken that were not very juicy. The shredded (fancy) parmesan cheese, instead of the grated, turns to little hard shards when browned that stab you as you try to eat it, or if not as browned, are still too "crunchy."

This is without a doubt the most popular recipe on the PP site! I've never heard of anyone who doesn't love it. This is one I've had requests for, too, again by non-LCers! There are lots of variations, including a Mexican one!

Steph's Yummy Chicken Stuff - Mexican Version

6 boned and skinned chicken breast halves
1/3 c. sour cream
1/3 c. mayonnaise
1 t. cumin powder
3 T. Tabasco green pepper sauce
2 T. heavy cream
3 cans mushroom stems and pieces -- drained
4 oz. green chiles
1/4 c. shredded Colby-Jack cheese

Place chicken breasts in a single layer baking dish. Spread mushrooms and chiles over the chicken, trying to keep them on the chicken. Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, cumin, tabasco sauce and cream until blended. Place large dollops of the mixture on each breast, then spread it out so that it covers all meat and mushrooms. Sprinkle cheese on top until covered. Bake at 375 until the top is starting to get brown and crusty, about 45-60 minutes.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 256 Calories; 14g Fat (50.4% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 83mg Cholesterol; 324mg Sodium

cowtownmom
06-18-2003, 01:11 PM
This sounds great! I've got chicken thawing, so I think I'll try it tonight!

mum4jenn
06-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Mock Honey-Mustard Sauce

3 Tbls Mayo
1-2 tsp mustard
1/8 tsp paprika
1 pkt Splenda

Mix all ingredients together
Chill until ready to serve

This sauce is GREAT with the chicken finger recipe that is posted on page 4!!;)

MerryPoppins
07-02-2003, 04:05 PM
DH is having to watch his fat intake due to cholesterol and we are both watching our carbs. It's really hard to find recipes that will work for dinner for both of us, and taste good enough that the teens won't rebel. ;) Keep the good ideas coming. I'll share when I've found some things that are "share-worthy".

I did notice that www.recipegoldmine has a low carb page. I haven't checked them out yet, but there might be some things you could use.

StaceyA
07-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Can you have cheese during induction?

I have been eating cheese, and I have lost 2 pounds since Monday (when I started) and now im reading some recipes and wondering what I can have during induction.

I have been mostly eating Hamburger, chicken, and steak.
I had Seafood salad today and deviled eggs for a snack.
Plus I have been eating Tomato and Mozzarella sliced with Balsamic Vinagerette.

I hope I have been doing everything right!!! What a waste it would be if I werent!

K McNeil
07-05-2003, 12:14 PM
For those of you who don't like recipes per se, try marinating boneless, skinless chicken breasts in Cesar Dressing. Cook on the grill as usual. These are amazingly good. They can be cut up in small pieces and left in zip locks in the fridge for snacks, or added to salads. I usually just double what we would normally eat for dinner, then cut up the leftovers.
Hope this helps someone!
This is my first post - can I join?
Krissy

StaceyA
07-05-2003, 04:18 PM
Welcome Krissy!
You have stumbled upon a great place!!
I just found WISH a few days ago and it has been a great help to me with my Atkins questions, and all of these recipes are great (including yours, I love ceaser dressing)
Are you also on Atkins?

K McNeil
07-05-2003, 05:17 PM
This is actually my second time on Atkins. I lost 30 pounds in 4 mos. in preparation for pregnancy, and left the plan when I got pregnant.
Oh my, 50 lbs later, I have a gorgeous 2 year old junior Disney fanatic and more than 50 lbs to lose. I started back on Atkins April 15th of this year (tax day -- feel the pain?) and this time I'm at 19 lbs in 2 3/4 mos. My system seems to understand this Way of Eating; it's the only diet that I've ever been able to stick with for any length of time.
So, the short answer is yes, I'm on Atkins.

I do have a question for all of you low carbers though. I don't see a lot of discussion about the prepared products on the market for L.C. eating - is that kind of thing discussed in another category somewhere? I have found many products that "keep me honest" that I couldn't actually make myself. (ie breads, LeCarb frozen Desserts, Blue Bunny Yogurt, Russell Stover LC Toffee and... for New Englanders Waist Watcher Sodas made with Splenda).
I just realized that this probably isn't the best place for my reply, but I'm hoping for a "slide" cuz I'm new.
As we speak, I'm making the smothered chicken recipe and I can't wait till it's done. I look forward to conversing with you all.

Kristen

mum4jenn
07-13-2003, 12:24 PM
Just experimented and then submitted this on the Atkins website. It is pretty good.

1 can tomato sauce
1 tsp."Sweet&Easy" Brown sugar
1 Tlbs. mustard
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. Liquid Smoke
3 tsp. Splenda

This is pretty good. I am figuring on a 1 Tablespoon serving and each serving is less than 2 carbs.

cinamin27
07-13-2003, 09:07 PM
Cajun-Ranch boneless buffalo wings (chicken tenders)

not really in recipe form just adjust to your liking, my dd (10 yrs old & skinny as can be!) & I love these!

I use Tyson individually frozen chicken tenderloins (thawed)
season to your liking (I use alittle salt & Lawrys but keep in mind Lawrys has sugar) & saute on stove top in pan coated with Pam, browning on both sides or do in George Foreman or any other indoor grill

while the chicken is sauting, mix prepared ranch dressing & prepared wing sauce (I use Ashanti brand wing sauce - zero carbs, found in Publix with the hot sauce) -- using more ranch dressing than wing sauce start off slowly pouring in the wing sauce into a bowl of ranch until its not too spicy to you. I usually use 4:1 - ranch:wing sauce. (Carb count will only be for the ranch dressing, you can try the Walden Farms brand, made with splenda/0 carbs, 0 fat, 0 calories.)

once the chicken tenders are cooked thoroughly toss them in the ranch/wing sauce mixture to coat all over. serve with celery sticks

Chicken BLT Salad

Bagged Salad (I use Leafy Romaine)
Sauteed chicken tenderloins, seasoned to your liking & cut into bite size pieces
about 8 strips of bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled(I use the Publix brand ready-to-serve-1 carb per 3 strips OR Oscar Mayer 'Real Bacon' recipe pieces (bacon bits but not the fake ones) 0 carbs)
Tomatoes
Walden Farms hot bacon dressing, made with splenda/0 carbs, 0 fat, 0 calories.)
(hot meaning you heat it, not meaning spicy)

heat dressing in microwave for 30 seconds & toss all ingredients (another QUICK low carb dinner my *non* low-carber daughter loves!)

scarlett873
07-17-2003, 08:21 AM
i just wanted to let you guys know...we made some of the chicken fingers using the pork rinds as the batter last night (well, DH actually made them!) and they were wonderful!!! it definitely cured my craving for chicken fingers!!! he used the bbq pork rinds and dipped them in an egg wash mixed with a tad of ranch dressing. there was no pork rind taste to them at all! they had a wonderful flavor to them...

Lynn CC
07-17-2003, 09:44 AM
Fudge Ice Cream - Dark and super-rich!

6 1 oz. squares unsweetened chocolate 2 eggs
2 TBS. butter 2tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups sugar (I used splenda 30 packets) 1 1/3 c. 1/2 & 1//2
you may want to use more
1/3 c. light corn syrup (DiVince syrup) 2 c. whipping cream
2/3 c. 1/2 & 1/2

In a heavy medium saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring often. Stir in sugar, corn syrup(DeVince syrup) and 2/3 cup half-and-half. Stir over medium-low heat until mixture comes to a boil. Simmer 4 minutes without stirring;set aside. In a small bowl, beat eggs until blended. Stir in 1/2 cup hot chocolate mixture. Stir egg mixture into remaining chocolate mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. cool to lukewarm. Stir in vanilla, 1-1/3 cups half-and-half and whipping cream. Pour into ice cream canister. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. makes about 2 quarts.

audflash
07-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Oh, thank you, thank you! I came here looking for something sweet to make and I found it!

I'm so tired of eggs and steak! I love the recipes - haven't been creative with Atkins yet but I'm working on it!!

My dh loves pork rinds (I think they're gross) - he will get a kick out of the fried chicken. And I love fried okra, too, Katholyn! I'm off to the grocery...

Lynn CC
07-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Old-Fashioned Strawberry Ice Cream
Rich and creamy even when you substitute half-and-half for the whipping cream.

3 cups fresh strawberries 2cups half-and-half
2 eggs 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. sugar 1 cup whipping cream

Wash strawberries, remove and discard caps. Puree berries in blender or food processor set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon colored. Beat in sugar, half-and-half , vanilla and whipping cream. Stir in blended strawberries. Pour into ice cream canister. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Makes 2 quarts.

Strawberry Cream
So rich and creamy it doesn't have to be stirred or beaten while freezing.

3 cups fresh strawberries 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
3 egg yolks 3 egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar

Wash strawberries, remove and discard caps. Puree berries in blender or food processor. Pour into a strainer over a medium bowl Press puree through strainer with back of a spoon; set aside Discard seeds. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Beat in sugar and whipping cream until soft peaks form. Stir in strained berries; set aside. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into berry mixture. Pour into a 9 inch square pan. Cover with foil or plastic wrap. Place in freezer; freeze until firm, 3 to 6 hours Makes about 2 quarts.

Fresh peach Ice Cream
Good Old-Fashioned summertime favorite

2 eggs 1/8 tsp. almond extract
1 1/4 c. sugar 5 large ripe peaches, peeled, chopped
1 c. milk 1 c. whipping cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

In a large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Beat in sugar. Stir in milk, vanilla and almond extract; set aside. Puree peaches in blender or food processor. Stir into egg mixture. Stir in whipping cream. Pour into ice cream canister. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacture's directions. Makes about 2 quarts

TinkerBellPixie4GOAL
07-18-2003, 02:36 PM
Hey all! My family's been on Atkins for 4 months! All together we have lost over 120 lbs! I myself have lost 22! Only 20 more to go!!! Okay, the best way for me to reduce a sweet craving is:

CHEESECAKE!!!

Ingredients:
8 oz PHILADELPHIA CREAM CHEESE
1 packet ANY FLAVOR JELLO OR ROYAL PUDDING MIX
1 1/2 cups HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
8 pakets SPLENDA

Instructions:
Leave CREAM CHEESE out to soften, or heat it up in the microwave. Mix together with an electric mixer the CREAM CHEESE and SPLENDA. Add in the HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM gradually while still mixing. Add in the PUDDING MIX gradually while still mixing. Mix until mixture is like a moose (probably spelled that wrong). Then place in the fridge for 2 hours. TASTES DELICIOUS!!!!

Rita3381
07-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Pepperoni Chips

Buy presliced small pepperoni. Stack 3 or 4 paper plates together, and then fill plate up with pepperoni. Don't overlap pepperoni. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Let cool. Now you have pepperoni crackers! Tast great with anything. Also satifies those crunchy cravings.
Enjoy!

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Cheryl N. WI
07-20-2003, 09:52 PM
Tonight I made both the green bean casserole and Steph's Yummy Chicken, both were delicious! I am the only one that ate the green beans, DH and DD don't like green beans. We all had the chicken and we all thought it was great. DH said it was as good as something you'd expect to find in a restaurant and I should make it again real soon.

CHeryl:bounce:

Buz
07-21-2003, 06:30 AM
Rita,
These are great! I took some and put circles cut from a mozzerella cheese stick on them, microwave for 15s and made little crunchy, cheesy snack.

Buz

Originally posted by Rita3381
Pepperoni Chips

Buy presliced small pepperoni. Stack 3 or 4 paper plates together, and then fill plate up with pepperoni. Don't overlap pepperoni. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Let cool. Now you have pepperoni crackers! Tast great with anything. Also satifies those crunchy cravings.
Enjoy!

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

RaySharpton
07-22-2003, 06:36 PM
(credit to ohiomommie)

I know that this isn't a recipe, but there are a lot of recipe ideas on this website using Da Vinci Gormet sugar-free syrups.

I'm putting the link here so that I know where to find it, if that is O.K..

http://www.davincigourmet.com/page.php?page=729

scarlett873
07-22-2003, 07:57 PM
DH just made a wonderful casserole dish with a recipe i found at lowcarbfriends.com!! is it ok for me to post here as long as i credit the original poster???

this came from the poster LindaSue on www.lowcarbfriends.com

TACO BAKE
Crust:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 t. Seasoning for Tacos (see recipe below)
8 oz. shredded cheddar

Beat the cream cheese and eggs until smooth. Add the cream and seasoning. Grease a 9 x 13" baking dish; spread the cheese over the bottom. Pour in the egg mixture as evenly as possible. Bake at 375º, 25-30 minutes.

Topping:
1 lb. hamburger
3 t. Seasoning for Tacos (see recipe below)
1/4 cup tomato sauce, no sugar added
4 oz. can chopped green chiles
8 oz. shredded cheddar

Brown the hamburger; drain fat. Stir in the seasoning, tomato sauce and chiles. Spread over the crust. Top with cheese. Reduce oven to 350º and bake another 20 minutes or so until hot and bubbly. Serve with the toppings of your choice (add additional carbs). Makes 6-8 servings (6 servings - 5 carbs each) (8 servings - 4 carbs each)

Optional Toppings:
1/4 cup shredded lettuce per serving (add .28 carbs)
1 T. sour cream per serving (add .5 carbs)
1 T. salsa per serving (add 1.5 carbs, depending on the brand)
1 t. Taco Bell taco sauce per serving (0 carbs)
Ripe olives, 3 slices per serving (1 carb)
Pickled jalapeno slices, 6 per serving (1 carb)
Guacamole (add carbs - varies by recipe) (approx. 1 carb per tablespoon)

*Note...we didn't use a taco seasoning. instead, we had some of the taco bell mild sauce along with some mild salsa and mixed that in with the meat. but it was WONDERFUL!! it made quite a bit too. we have enough for lunch tomorrow!

FanofG00fy
07-26-2003, 10:40 AM
I'm so glad I found this board. I have been on Atkins for only 36 days and I was getting a little tired of the same meal day after day, but now I have found this area and all these menus! I'm going to be eating great for now on! I love this diet, to me it doesn't feel like a diet though. I've been on it 36 days and I've already lost 28 pounds. For the first time in my life I will be able to walk through the turnstyles and Disney without worrying if I'll fit! And I won't have to worry that my butt is to big for the seats! Keep it up everyone! Again, thanks! Hopefully in the future I'll be able to post some great menus. One quick question though. I was wondering what to use for "breading" and I saw people use Atkins Bake mix, Parm. Cheese and Crushed up Pork Rinds....is there anything else? Again, Thanks y'all!

I'm going to do it! :bounce: I"m going to Disney a lot smaller than I am now! YooHoo! :Pinkbounc

Wagamama
07-26-2003, 01:19 PM
Ok! Here's my first low-carb recipe!

I know that there are a few BLT recipes on this thread but this is one that i really really like!

Slab Bacon cut into chunks, fried and drained (you can use regular bacon (pre-sliced) but i like my bacon chunky so i use slab).
Cherry Tomatoes-halved or left whole
Chopped lettuce (i like iceberg, its more filling)
I also add chopped green, red, yellow peppers sometimes

Pour into a bowl and toss with splash of vinegar (cider or red), salt, pepper and oil (if you really want to you can add in a tablespoon of mayo, its DELICIOUS!)

Enjoy!

**edited to say that a shake of dried mint or some fresh basil are great too!**

TinkerBellPixie4GOAL
07-26-2003, 09:39 PM
Melted cheese Sticks...

Okay, I tried this the other day and it was great! My own recipe!!!

Mix together a half a pound of cheese (any type, mix em up, whatever) and a tablespoon of breadcrumbs...melt in microwave on high for 1 minute...enjoy!!!

2 carbs!!!

~Sparkly~Zoe
07-27-2003, 11:16 PM
Ingredients
Chinese-Style Chicken

1-1/2 to 2 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breasts preferred)

3/4 cup water

2 tablespoons dry sherry

2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

2 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 cup bias-sliced celery (1/4 in thick)

4 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces

1-1/3 cups hot cooked rice

Remove skin from chicken. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Spray a cold large skillet with nonstick coating. Preheat the skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken pieces on all sides in hot skillet.

Add 3/4 cup water, sherry, soy sauce, and garlic powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 35-40 minutes or till chicken is tender and no longer pink. Transfer chicken to a serving platter and keep warm.

For sauce, stir together the 2 tablespoons water and the cornstarch; set aside. Add celery and green onions to skillet. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or till celery is crisp-tender. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Serve chicken and sauce with hot cooked rice.

Makes 4 servings, remember that rice swells in your stomach.

~Sparkly~Zoe
07-27-2003, 11:19 PM
Honey Ginger Pork Chops

Ingredients:

1/4 C. honey 1/4 C. soy sauce 1/4 C. oyster sauce 2 T. brown sugar 4 tsp. grated fresh ginger root 1 T. minced garlic 1 T. ketchup 1/4 tsp. onion powder 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper 6 boneless pork loin chops (4 oz. each), trimmed of all visible fat

Directions:

Combine all ingredients except pork chops in a large mixing bowl. Blend well. Place pork chops in marinade, turning to cover. Refrigerate 6-8 hours, turning occasionally. Remove pork chops from marinade, reserving liquid. Grill over medium-hot coals for 10-15 minutes or until pink disappears, turning often and basting with marinade. Finish basting at least 3 minutes before grilling is complete.

Nutrition information per serving: 173 calories, 11g carbohydrate, 22g protein, 5g fat, 65mg cholesterol Yield: 6 servings

~Sparkly~Zoe
07-27-2003, 11:23 PM
SUGAR FREE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1 egg 1 cup splenda 1 cup low fat peanut butter

NO FLOUR... mix, place spoon size balls onto cookie sheet and flatten with fork bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes depending on your oven let cook....

I have even baked these with adding soy protein :)

also you can hollow center out a bit by making a dip in center fill with diabetic jam or even sugar free peanut butter cups... the peanut butter cups put in cookie after it has baked then place back in warm oven for a few seconds until it spreads out in to dipped out area..

StaceyA
07-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by ~Sparkly~Zoe
Ingredients
Chinese-Style Chicken

1-1/2 to 2 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breasts preferred)

3/4 cup water

2 tablespoons dry sherry

2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

2 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 cup bias-sliced celery (1/4 in thick)

4 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces

1-1/3 cups hot cooked rice

Remove skin from chicken. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Spray a cold large skillet with nonstick coating. Preheat the skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken pieces on all sides in hot skillet.

Add 3/4 cup water, sherry, soy sauce, and garlic powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 35-40 minutes or till chicken is tender and no longer pink. Transfer chicken to a serving platter and keep warm.

For sauce, stir together the 2 tablespoons water and the cornstarch; set aside. Add celery and green onions to skillet. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or till celery is crisp-tender. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Serve chicken and sauce with hot cooked rice.

Makes 4 servings, remember that rice swells in your stomach.

I thought Rice was a no no?

dizneegirl
07-29-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by StaceyA
I thought Rice was a no no?

You don't want to eat white rice on a low carb diet. High on the glycemic scale, no nutritional value, and full of starchy carbs.

However, if you left off the rice, and substituted 1/4 teaspoon xathan gum for the cornstarch, you'd have a pretty decent low-carb meal there.

You could always substitute cauliflower "faux rice" if you thought you'd miss the rice.

~Sparkly~Zoe
07-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Sorry that is one of our GBS/carb recipes. I thought it could be useful.

StaceyA
07-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Sorry that is one of our GBS/carb recipes. I thought it could be useful.

Zoe,
Don't worry about it, the only reason I asked is because I just started this diet.
Those PB cookies sounds good though...do you know how many carbs per cookie??

~Sparkly~Zoe
07-30-2003, 10:03 AM
unfortunately no I don't. It's not on my recipe paper! Is there a way we can figure this out?

dizneegirl
07-30-2003, 11:57 AM
1 egg = .6 carbs

1 cup Splenda = 24 carbs

You'd want to use a no-sugar added peanut butter... they can differ in carb counts. Just for grins, we'll use Krema Natural Peanut Butter, which is 3g per 2 Tbs. So...

1 cup peanut butter = 24 carbs

The recipe would be 47 carbs. If you got 2 dozen cookies, they'd be 2g carbs each.

StaceyA
07-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by glo
This was totally yummy and even my kids loved it.

3 eggs
olive oil
3 pounds of skinless chicken breast
one bottle of parmesean cheese
any spices you may want to add

I beat up my chicken to thin it out a bit :)
then I beat the three egss

On another plate I put in the bottle of Parm cheese, and garlic, oregano and parsley to taste. and mixed.

Heated oil in fryng pan.

Then I dipped chicken into egg and then coated with the cheese/spices mixture. I fried this for a few minutes on each side and it was awesome...

the site I got this off said each serving (1 breats was about 4 carbs)

This along with the "mock honey mustard" was AWESOME!!
My DH and I both made it as a team, LOL and he said he couldn't believe how crunchy the cheese was on the outside...we used grated parm cheese not the powdery kind, and I mixed in garlic powder, Parsley and Italian seasonings from the pampered chef and it was sooo good!!
Thanks for posting this Glo!

Jakesmom1
08-01-2003, 07:49 PM
We had a party at work today and a friend of mine made this,
turned out its totally Atkins.

2 cans artichoke hearts ( not the ones packed in oil) drained
1 clove garlic
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
8 oz shredded mozzerella

chop artichokes and garlic in food processor
mix mayo, parmesan & mozzerella in large bowl
add artichoke mix

Place in pie plate
bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Everyone was eating it on crackers, I thought it was great by itself or on celery sticks. ( even good cold)

Hope you like it

StaceyA
08-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Jakesmom1
We had a party at work today and a friend of mine made this,
turned out its totally Atkins.

2 cans artichoke hearts ( not the ones packed in oil) drained
1 clove garlic
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
8 oz shredded mozzerella

chop artichokes and garlic in food processor
mix mayo, parmesan & mozzerella in large bowl
add artichoke mix

Place in pie plate
bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Everyone was eating it on crackers, I thought it was great by itself or on celery sticks. ( even good cold)

Hope you like it

Sounds good!! I never thought of eating dip with Celery, I really have wanted some dip!
There is a Hot Crab dip recipe on the Atkins site that sounds good, but I can't have the crackers...never thought of celery!

TinkerBellPixie4GOAL
08-02-2003, 10:59 PM
SUGAR FREE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1 egg 1 cup splenda 1 cup low fat peanut butter

NO FLOUR... mix, place spoon size balls onto cookie sheet and flatten with fork bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes depending on your oven let cook....

I have even baked these with adding soy protein :)

also you can hollow center out a bit by making a dip in center fill with diabetic jam or even sugar free peanut butter cups... the peanut butter cups put in cookie after it has baked then place back in warm oven for a few seconds until it spreads out in to dipped out area..

Tried these out today...mmm...mmm...they sure were good! The family loved them and they were very peanut buttery...the only difference was that I added about a tablespoon of butter to the mixture!

Meriweather
08-03-2003, 10:06 AM
These are imported from other sites....but I have made them and they were BIG hits.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Popcorn Garlic Shrimp

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Seafood

1 pound small shrimp -- shelled
1/4 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves -- finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Pat shrimp dry with paper towels.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes.
Sauté one minute. Increase heat to high. Add shrimp and paprika.
Cook, stirring briskly, for 2 minutes.
Add lemon juice. Cook one minute more, just until shrimp are pink and cooked through (do not overcook shrimp, it toughens them).
Transfer to a platter with a slotted spoon.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley.
Serve immediately.

Net Carbs: 1.5 grams

Seafood Bisque

Recipe By :
Categories : Seafood Soup

1/2 cup finely chopped shallots (about 2)
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1 cup butter
1 quart water
1 tablespoon chicken base
a sprinkle or two of instant flour -- or your favorite lc thickener
2 cans chopped clams with juice -- (6.5 oz.)
1/2 pound uncooked shrimp -- cleaned, shelled, deveined
1/3 pound cod (leave in one piece)
1/3 pound salmon (leave in one piece-remove skin)
4 cups heavy cream
1 small can crab meat
1/2 cup dry sherry
chives for garnish -- optional

Saute shallots and diced celery in butter, until soft.
Add thickener, if desired, and stir with a wire whip for 5 minutes, on low heat and set aside.
Bring 1 quart of water to a boil. Add chicken base, clams with juice, all of the shrimp and the whole pieces of cod and salmon.
Return to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Strain the stock, and reserve the seafood.
Stir the shallot/butter mixture into the stock.
Flake the large pieces of boiled fish and add the canned crabmeat.
Add the heavy cream and sherry. Bring to a simmer and heat through. Add chives, if desired.

3 carbs per serving.

Frozen Orange Creamsicle

Recipe By :
Categories : Desserts

2 small boxes Sugar Free Orange Jell-O
2 packets Splenda®, NutraSweet or Sweet "N Low
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups boiling water
1 cup crushed ice

Add 2 cups boiling water to Jell-O mix as per package directions and mix well till fully dissolved.
Add crushed ice to the mixture and stir to melt ice and cool mixture.
Add sweetener and heavy cream. Mix well.
Pour into freezer bowl or individual cups and chill until firm. (These can also be poured into freezer-pop holders to make true creamsicle type treats!)

1 carb per serving.

A. Shirley
08-05-2003, 08:48 PM
Every thing sounds not only great but super easy. Can't wait to try them out. Thank you, thank you:

Highland Lass
08-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone.

I am looking for some advice................I am cruising with Disney in December and really really really want to look good and lose about 20lbs.

I take it some of you are low-carb dieters and wondered if I would have time (16 weeks and counting ) to lose some of this excess baggage I am carrying around if I followed a low carb lifestyle ????

Also, what is Splenda ???? I've never heard of it but since I live in Scotland there may be a UK equivalent.

Thanks for any advise / help.

~Sparkly~Zoe
08-17-2003, 09:57 AM
http://www.splenda.com/

Highland Lass
08-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Thank you for the link to Splenda, I'll have to see if it's available in the UK.

mum4jenn
08-17-2003, 05:47 PM
Highland Lassie...Try www.lowcarbmegastore.com I believe they are located in the U.K. and they have Splenda. (or at least they used to)

Tiawyn
08-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Hi folks, I'm mostly a lurker around here but I wanted to post this one - I just found it yesterday - and it sounds weird, but I swear, these taste JUST like french toast! It is SOOOO good especially if you're looking for something different for breakfast (I'm not a big fan of eggs)

(I got this here (http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/rrecipe012.html))

French Toast

By Norma-June

2 Eggs
1/4 cup heavy (whipping) cream
2 pkgs. Equal or Splenda
Cinnamon to taste
1/2 of a 3 oz. bag Pork rinds.

(1) Mix eggs, cream, sweetener and cinnamon.

(2) Crush pork rinds (I use a food processor to get it nice and fine) and mix with above mixture.

(3) Allow to soak until it becomes a very thick and goopy batter (3-5 minutes).

(4) Fry pancake style in butter until browned and flip over. Cook until done as you would french toast or pancakes.

Serve with any LC syrup or make your own as follows:

(1) Cream butter until soft (use as much as you need for syrup). I melt it in the microwave.

(2) Add maple extract and sweetener to taste.

There's ~5.5g carbs in the whole recipe - that assumes ~1tsp cinnamon. (Oh, and just in case - my pork rinds come in 5oz packages - so no easy way to measure out the 1.5 oz needed - I ended up using 1/2 cup plus a tablespoon or so of ground pork rinds to make my batter.)

Tiawyn
08-19-2003, 11:40 PM
And one more - I found this on some message board - I don't remember which!

Banana Sour Cream Bread

1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup full-fat cream cheese
4 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup pourable (granulated) Splenda
2 teaspoons Brown Sugar Twin
1 3/4 cups almond flour (You can just crush almonds for this - I did mine in the food processor - I couldn't get them quite to a "flour" consistency (well, I didn't want to try, lest I make almond butter) so there are some small crunchy pieces in my bread, but it's still yummy!)
1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 2.5 oz jar Gerber Banana Baby Food (make sure it doesn't have added sugar - the one I found was 15g carbs for the whole jar)
1/4 cup sour cream
20 drops liquid sweetener
1 teaspoon banana flavor extract

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Cream butter, cream cheese pourable Splenda and Brown Sugar Twin well. Add eggs - one at a time - beating well after each. Set aside.

In separate large bowl, blend almond flour, Vital Wheat Gluten flour, baking powder, and salt.

In small bowl mix baby food, sour cream, liquid sweetener (I use liquid Splenda, but you can use Sweet N Low or Cyclamate sweetener if you like), and banana extract. Add to butter/cream cheese mixture and beat well.

Mix wet and dry ingredients with large spoon or mixer until fully incorporated. Pour into greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes (oven times may vary a bit.)

45 grams of carbs in entire recipe.
Makes 12 slices: 3.75 carbs per slice.

[optional:] Like a sugary topping? For an extra few grams for the loaf (almost doesn't change the amount per slice), sprinkle a bit of Diabetisweet over the top of the bread in its last 20 minutes of baking.

Walnuts or pecans can be added to this recipe as well. About 1/2 cup broken nut pieces added just before adding to loaf pan to bake works nicely.

(The recipe says 3.75 carbs per slice - but I count it as somewhere closer to 4.5 - I think they may have been using liquid splenda for their counts - I'm getting some liquid splenda soon (I hope) and that should cut down the carbs to ~3.5g each slice!)

FanofG00fy
08-20-2003, 08:50 PM
I just wanted to say thank you for sharing all the great ideas! :teeth: I started on June 21 and have lost :earseek: 46 lbs! I'm so happy!!! And I'm never hungry!!! :Pinkbounc :bounce: Thanks for all the great info!!!!

Lynn CC
09-05-2003, 10:11 AM
Here's a recipe for an Egg Cream

1/4 cup heavy cream
3 Tablespoons DaVinci Chocolate Syrup, sugarfree (I added more)
Seltzer

Fill glass with heavy cream. Top with chocolate syrup and fill with selzer.

It's a good treat when you want something sweet!

DoeWDW
09-06-2003, 07:12 AM
I've been wanting something sweet and also looking for ways to incorporate eggs in my diet. I'm not much of an egg fan...LOL! However I LOVE to eat this, even for breakfast!

Egg Custard

6 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup water
1/2 cup Splenda
1 tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Butter 6 custard cups
Fill a 13x9 pan with water (about 1/4 full)

Blend all ingredients in a blender and pour into cups. You can sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg on top (I like cinnamon). Place in pan of water and then place pan into oven. Bake for about 25 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a knife in the edge of the cup - if it comes out clean then the custard is done. The center will finish cooking as it cools. Remove from pan immediately and cool. Cover and refridgerate.

Per serving: 210 calories, 18 g fat, 7.5 g protein, 3 g carb

DoeWDW
09-06-2003, 07:43 AM
I eat this for breakfast!

Low-carb cheesecake (recipe makes 2 cheesecakes)

Nut Crust:

1 and 1/3 cups slivered almonds
2/3 cup Designer Protein french vanilla protein powder
1 stick (1/4 cup) melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray 2 8 inch cake pans with non-stick spray.

Put almonds (or other nuts, like hazlenuts) into food processor with S-blade. Pulse the food processor until the nuts are medium - coarse ground. I try to find a happy medium. Too coarse and your crust will be crumbly. Too fine and you've made nut butter.

Add the protein powder (any whey protein powder would work) and butter to the food processor. You can also add a packet of Splenda if you want a sweeter crust but I don't.

Pulse food processor until well mixed. Press into the bottom of the cake pans (I use the 8 inch round 3 inch deep disposable aluminum cake pans). I have enough for 2 crusts.

Bake for 8 - 10 minutes until the edge of the crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven and let it cool while you make the filling.

Cheesecake Filling:
This is the basic Philly Cream Cheese recipe with Splenda instead of sugar.

4 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup Splenda (I only use 2/3 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 large eggs

Preheat oven to 325 degrees (25 degrees lower than crust). Beat cream cheese, Splenda and vanilla on medium speed until well-blended. Add eggs 1 at a time, mixing each on low just until blended.

Pour mixture into prepared crust pans, dividing it between the two pans. Bake at 325 degrees or until center is almost set. Refridgerate 4 hours or overnight. Cover with plastic wrap when cool.

One cheesecake (I plugged ingredients into Fitday) = 2800 calories, 266 g fat, 46 g carb, 85 g protein.

I count a serving as 1/6th of the cake = 467 calories, 44 g fat, 7.7 g carbs, 14 g protein

nativetxn
09-16-2003, 10:06 AM
I'm locking this thread because we are going to be posting recipes to our new <b>EATING HEALTHY BOARD</b> (http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=84), now.

You can still read and edit your own posts here but no new posts can be made.

Katholyn