PDA

View Full Version : Plastic or Glass Containers?

EllenFrasier
05-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Do you use plastic or glass food storage containers? I used to use Tupperware plastic containers, but over the years they have gotten lost or the lids got damaged. I know 100% guarantee and all that, but at the time I couldn't bother with all that.

I was excited to find Rubbermaid made containers called Premier that were very much like the Tupperware ones, so I bought a whole set of them. Then I heard that reheating food in plastic containers is not good for you health wise. :confused3 Should I stop using them? We put leftovers in them and freeze them for my husband to take to his job when he works nights and he reheats them in the microwave.

I am now looking into glass containers, but I don't know if they will last long with him transporting them back and forth to work. Does anybody use glass and what brand is durable?

Thanks!:cutie:

buckler
05-23-2010, 07:58 AM
We use glass containers at home for storage and microwaving. But, I'd hesitate to take glass containers to/from work every day. Could your husband take a plate or glass container to work and transfer the food from the plastic container to the plate/glass to microwave it? Then wash the plate/glass and leave it at work for the next lunch.

We do this with Kashi frozen dinners that come in a plastic container. We dump the frozen food onto a plate and microwave it that way to avoid microwaving the food in a plastic container. Works fine.

clh2
05-23-2010, 09:03 AM
I am also hesitant to microwave plastic. I do have a Corelle plate and bowl at work, so I can avoid the plastic in the microwave.

Now that I am in my mid-40's, I had accumulated a bunch of junk in my tupperware cabinet. UGGGH. I went to a tupperware party about 6 months ago. When that order came in, I went through the whole cabinet, tossed what I no longer use/need, as well as anything in there that did not have h a matching lid. And, I tossed some actaul tupperware that I hated since the first day I bought it (the containers were not see-threw, so you had to open each one to find what you were looking for). I can't believe the amount of crap I tossed out. :thumbsup2

I love my new tupperware, it stacks nicely and is functional for my current needs. I also do not have a ton of it either, which is great!!!

Back to glass - I prefer not to store stuff in glass in the fridge. Glass doesn't "bounce" on the floor like plastic does.;)

My5Mouseketeers
05-23-2010, 12:32 PM
I try not to use plastic container for anything hot. I mean I don't heat things in them and I don't put hot leftovers into them.

I just went to the Pyrex outlet again yesterday and bought more glass containers with lids. I have brought soup/chili to work in glass containers, in my lunch bag, inside my back pack and I have never had a leak.

I also have a "garage sale find" bowl/plate that I keep at work to heat foods up.

buckler
05-23-2010, 02:31 PM
I just went to the Pyrex outlet again yesterday and bought more glass containers with lids.

How are the prices at the outlet vs. getting a sale at a regular retail store?