PDA

View Full Version : Will the big conventions in Oct affect the crowds in the parks?

Disney-Kim
08-12-2002, 11:35 AM
There is something up during Oct 5-12th....
hardly any room availability.
anyone know whats up?

if its big conventions....will it make the parks really busy?

CaliforniaDreaming
08-12-2002, 11:38 AM
I booked last week for that weekend, and there wasn't much available. I'm wondering the same thing...

jennymouse
08-12-2002, 11:43 AM
Very well could be conventions....I don't think that golf tourney is until the third week? Maybe?

Disney-Kim
08-12-2002, 11:54 AM
the golf thing is the week after the 19th from what I saw.

Cali --- you are going then too???? wow.

I always heard that Oct is a great time to visit...;)

CaliforniaDreaming
08-12-2002, 11:57 AM
yep, it looks like either it'll be really busy - or - really quiet with all the people at conventions! ;)

zachsmom8899
08-12-2002, 11:59 AM
I heard this was a slow time and booked our trip during that time period because of that. I sure hope it is more conventions, then peak time of travel. We are traveling Oct. 2nd through the 11th and staying at WL. The WL has since totally booked up. Has anyone heard any other information on why??

Disney-Kim
08-12-2002, 12:03 PM
I am going to think really positive because I just found out last night that we are going in October. I am so happy to be going back so soon :p

las3888
08-12-2002, 01:31 PM
It's probably the Gartner Group convention held early every Oct. at the Dolphin. My DH used to attend almost every year. We used to have to book the Dolphin many months in advance for availability. I imagine most of the resorts around the boardwalk are really full.

It's a large convention for computer/technology...can't remember how many attendees, it is HUGE. We usually noticed the crowds at the Dolphin/Swan/boardwalk area...lots of computer guys walking around on cell phones. Some of the people do bring their families, but it seemed to me that many did not. I don't think it had too much of an impact on the parks, etc.

Look for low availability at some resorts - especially CS, and boardwalk area, crowds on the golf courses, crowds at the boardwalk restaulrants, but not too much else...

PS - don't EVEN think of parking at any of the resorts near the boardwalk unless you are staying there...

Doyle
08-12-2002, 01:56 PM
I'm attending the Gartner Conference. It starts Sunday Oct. 6 and runs until noon Oct. 11. Preferred hotels are the Dolphin, Swan, YC and BC. The deadline to cancel or modify room reservations is Aug. 23, so you may want to check around that time for availability.

On Monday, Oct. 7 the group will be going to MGM after it closes from 8-11pm.

cbvacation
08-12-2002, 03:08 PM
I've been wondering the same, as the ads being run in the Columbus Dispatch exclude this week from the CKO code....

When I've been there for a convention, I had little time during the day for anything Disney, so hopefully all of those convention attendees will be very dedicated and go to their sessions!!

As a bonus, maybe there will be additional fireworks for the convention attendees that the rest of us can enjoy from a distance.

Disney-Kim
08-12-2002, 05:37 PM
another plus for us "tourists" is that the conventioneers are in conference all day and the parks clsoe early so it should be good for us.;)

disneyag
08-12-2002, 05:53 PM
The Disney Golf Classic is sometime in Oct. I have a friend who is a doctor who is attending a conference at WDW mid-Oct. I am hoping conventioneers won't make the parks crowded.

cindyfan
08-12-2002, 05:56 PM
That is the week prior to Columbus Day weekend!
Many schools have off and I know our school has a teacher in-service day .... so that makes it a 4 day weekend.

AND.....if you are just now trying to get ressies....with the CBR closing and all those people being moved .... well that could account for the lack of availability.

We've had the ad in our Cleveland paper the last 2 weeks and yet if you try to call.....VERY limited availability especially for that week, depending on dates.

I think most conventions have the cancel/modify reservation limit of 6 weeks prior. (I could be wrong, but that is what I heard) But that goes with the 45 day cancelation thing on some packages.
So anyway, wait til the 23rd like Doyle said and try again!!:)

tar heel
08-12-2002, 06:23 PM
We've been around Columbus Day weekend twice. The first time, many years ago, the weather was perfect and there were virtually no crowds. The second time, in 2000, the weather was perfect and it was crowded, esp. MK. The parade-time crowd at that park on Saturday was the largest we've ever seen there -- and we've been there on Gay Day. Still, the weather is so wonderful that it's a good time to visit. BTW, in 2000, there were NO discounts.

lorilori
08-12-2002, 06:43 PM
Here in Mooresville, our schools all have that week off (Charlotte race week). Lots of people get outa dodge and go to Disney, us included!

karensi
08-12-2002, 06:49 PM
We are going Oct. 11 - 22, I was lucky enough to get a ressie at the CR back in Jan. I have since called back numerous times ,trying to get a ressie for my DD and her family, and more recently at 7AM the first day the AP discounts came out and always told "no rooms at all available in the tower" I just called again at 7 AM this morning,as deposits were due yesterday, for my arrival date (Oct.11),, but once again told that the tower rooms are ALL sold out, not one available. I even inquired to see if there would be a concierge room available ,told NOTHING in the tower. I guess it might be due to SOG, but I was also wondering if it is due to conventions? Would the whole tower be sold out due to SOG? I think they are staying in the North wing, so I'm not sure what is going on then? Anyone have any ideas??

The Duchess
08-12-2002, 06:55 PM
I believe there is a Macromedia Convention at the Swan/Dolphin at the end of October because that is when we are going and some people that my husband work with will be there the same week. I don't think they are bring their families, though.

Disney-Kim
08-12-2002, 11:00 PM
I will stay positive about crowds. I think 2000 was a record year for business and last year was 911 so.....its hard to figure out what this year will be

Gillian
08-13-2002, 10:34 AM
The Macromedia conference is part of the last week of October. We were going to be there, but DH's company cut back on their training budget (again) :(

las3888
08-13-2002, 12:12 PM
I asked DH about the attendance at the Gartner Group convention...he said that for 2000, attendance at the convention was approx. 12,000. for last year (I'm sure due to 9/11) it dropped to 4,000. I imagine it will increase this year, but I wonder by how much. There really is an IT recession going on...not many companies are willing to sponsor the convention for its employees...I have been with DH 3-4 times during the convention and found the weather and parks to be wonderful. I wouldn't sweat it.

As far as the CR...not sure what is going on there. We have tried to stay there our last few times (May and coming up at the end of Oct.) and it has been sold out both times. I imagine it has to do with SOG...I don't think people stay there for Gartner - would be pretty inconvenient.